A Love Worthy

By inkzerospace

Ginelle Hayes is orphaned, and after escaping her abusive guardian with a dark secret, she finds herself alon... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Three

194K 6.4K 433
By inkzerospace

            Ginelle awoke the next morning with a smile, surprised to find a white lily resting against Dorian’s pillow. She laughed softly, wondering just how he managed to find a flower in the dead of winter. She cradled the sweet gesture as she arose from bed and shuffled across the room to grab her robe. Someone had already brought her breakfast and stoked the fire but neither caught her attention as a noise from outside brought her to the window.

            As she pushed the drapes aside, she was startled to see Dorian down below talking to a man she had never seen before. She frowned as the two of them discussed amongst each other followed by a few occasional hand gestures that motioned towards the array of men standing off to the side. She leaned further against the window, straining to see who the other men were and recognized the laborers.

            There was a tapping at her door and she bid them entry as she turned away from the window to greet Thora. “Good morning milady, did you sleep well?”

            Ginelle nodded, “Yes Thora, thank you. Have you settled?”

            Thora smiled, “Yes milady. Belle has kindly offered to share her quarters.”

            “You are happy than?” Ginelle asked.

            “Very so!” Thora cried gleefully, “The servants here are very kind to me. Is there anything I might get you?”

            Ginelle shook her head, hesitating to leave the window before doing so. She moved across the room and settled into the chair before the hearth taking notice that Thora lingered and appeared on the verge of saying something. “Is something amiss?” she asked, suddenly worried.

            Thora was quick to shake her head, “Not at all, milady!”

            Ginelle laughed than, “Than pray tell, what is it that has you frantic?”

            Thora stepped towards her and dropped her head, clearing her throat as she said, “May I ask something that is bold?”

            Suddenly concerned, Ginelle leaned forward, “Of course, please.”

            “W-what do you-“ she paused, clearing her throat again, “-what do you think of Lieutenant Cummings?”

            Ginelle’s eyes widened, confounded as a realization struck her. She felt a smile curving her lips but resisted for Thora appeared fairly nervous, her affections clear. “He is quite a gentleman.” She stated, “Why do you ask?”

            Thora continued to twist her hands nervously; her dark head cast downward, avoiding Ginelle’s inquisitive stare entirely. “I-I find him a-agreeable.” She said modestly, her pale face blushing a deep crimson red.

            Ginelle smiled, “He is very agreeable.”

            Thora lifted her head and smiled a timid smile. “You agree than?”

            She laughed, “I think we’ve validated that already.”

            Thora giggled.

            “Mayhap you should tell him so?” Ginelle suggested.

            Thora stiffened, shaking her head immediately at the thought. “I couldn’t possibly!”

            “Lieutenant Cummings is very charming and kind; there is no harm in telling him how you feel.”

            Thora worried her bottom lip with her teeth as she considered this but nothing more was said on the matter as someone approached from within the hall. As Thora left the room, Dorian entered from behind, his blue eyes immediately finding Ginelle by the hearth and warming affectionately as he closed the door behind him.

            “I thought to find you still abed.” He leaned down and captured her lips gently teasing her bottom lip with his tongue that triggered an immediate response of arousal that trickled through her limbs like tiny flames.

             He reached over and pulled the silver lid from the tray to reveal her untouched breakfast and disapproval darkened his face. “You need to eat.” He ordered.

            Ginelle grimaced, “Do not order me about; I am not your wife yet.”

            A grin touched his mouth as he peered at her, his blue eyes twinkling. He set the lid aside and reached out to pull her gently to her feet and into his embrace. “When you are my wife, fair one, you will submit to my every whim.”

            She felt her anger rising but as quickly as it arose; she caught the flicker of amusement dancing wickedly in his blue stare and lightly pummeled his chest. He laughed and gently seized her wrist to press butterfly kisses to her knuckles.

            She resisted a smile as he released her and stepped away. She stared at his broad back a moment before asking, “Who were you talking too?”

            “His name is Jon Benedict. I purchased your mare from him.”

            Her brow arched curiously, “Do you plan to buy from him again?”

            He shook his head, “He plans to buy from me.”

            Suddenly remembering the laborers standing aside she gasped, “Surely you don’t mean to sell your laborers to him?”

            Surprised by her reaction, Dorian turned around to her. “That is exactly what I had planned to do.” He frowned, “You are not pleased?”

            “Pleased? Why would I be pleased?” she cried, suddenly outraged, “These are lives that you are passing back and forth like chattel.”

            “They are not free men by law.” He said grudgingly, “They are unfortunate because of their actions.” Her silence drew his attention and he studied her a moment before crossing the room to her. He leaned down on his haunches to meet her teary gaze and took her hands in his, “Why does this bother you, ma petite?”

            “They are prisoners.” She said sadly realizing her decision was based on the pain she endured as a child, the imprisonment she had suffered at Pierino’s hands.

            He reached out and cupped her chin, forcing her to meet his stare. “Yes, they are prisoners but they are prisoners because of their own judgment leading to their mistakes. They are accountable for their crimes. Benedict is a good man; he does not mistreat his laborers.”

            “What of your fields?” she asked, “If you do not have any laborers how do you intend to tend to your fields without help?”

            “The fields will still be tended too. My men and I will see to that but aside from my plantation, there are other means of finance.”

            Ginelle frowned, “What do you say?”

            “I plan to never part from you again, Ginelle.” He said this with such severity that her heart jumped within her chest. “I do not plan to set sail again.”

            She gasped, “But Dorian, you have always loved to sail.”

            He shook his head, “It was the trade that I love but it was the trade that kept me away when Eloise died and a different trade entirely where I nearly lost you.”

            “But what of your vessels?” she asked earnestly.

            “I have revoked my title as Captain and have relinquished the task to Cummings.”

            “He accepted?”

            Dorian grinned, “He declined but I surmise he will come around, his heart is at sea.”

            Ginelle grinned, her thoughts steering towards Thora and her affections for Stefan. “Do not be so certain of yourself.” She said knowingly.

            A black brow arched curiously, “Do you know something that I do not, ma petite?”

            She smirked and refrained from saying further. He laughed as he scooped her easily into his arms, ignoring her squeals of protest as he carried her to the bed. “I will get it out of you one way or another.”

**********

            Dorian was true to his word in the coming of weeks. He maintained the household and prepped the fields despite the inclement weather. Ginelle occupied her time with what domestic chores she was allowed with a gruff Lucile looming over her shoulder along the way.

            Her evenings were spent with Dorian, playing chess and reading literature. He simply lounged in the chair by the hearth, a faint smile shadowing his lips as he listened to her voice as she recited poetry. She found herself faltering over the words, unnerved by his penetrating stare that not once wavered from her face the moment she began and after several attempts of reading the same line and failing miserably; she dropped the book to her lap with a huff.

            “Why are you staring at me like that?” she demanded.

            His grin widened, “I am simply admiring the woman to become my wife.”

            She smirked, “You are insufferable.”

            He straightened and leaned towards her, taking her hands gently, and drawing them to his lips to kiss her fingertips. “And you are lovely.” He held her hands gently in his own and studied her a moment, his blue eyes suddenly doubtful, “Are you happy?”

            She sensed a sudden wariness in him, an uncertainty that clouded his blue eyes as he stared back at her. “Yes.” She said wholeheartedly, smiling as she leaned forward and kissed the brim of his nose.

            A smile stretched across his lips as he reached out and pulled her into his lap and cradled her close while picking the book up he placed it firmly back into her hands, encouraging her to continue. She laughed and proceeded on to the next line.

            The next day Ginelle was delighted when Ellison came to visit along with Edmund who immediately sought Dorian’s company the moment the two women cried gleefully and fell into loquacious spouts of excitement and laughter, a flow of tears and a roundabout of the room as they burst into details of the wedding to come.

            Edmund slipped quickly from the room, fearful that he may lose a limb through the exchanging of embraces and twirling hems as he fled into the hall where he met Dorian.

            Dorian chuckled as he slapped Edmund lightly on the back, “I was beginning to wonder if I should attempt to rescue you had you not escaped when you did.”

            Edmund laughed, amused by the stream of giggles flowing from the parlor. “I escaped unscathed for the time being but eventually one of us will have to go back in there.”

            Dorian’s laughter rolled easily from his throat as the two of them made there way to his study. “That is a task deemed frightful.”

            Edmund settled into a chair and regarded Dorian in all seriousness. “Have you told her yet?”

            Dorian shook his head as he settled across from him. “Not yet.”

            “When do you plan to tell her?” Edmund asked curiously.

            “In due time.” He replied, “She is delicate right now, especially in her condition, I do not want to increase any anxieties she may have.”

            Edmund nodded and than asked, “Have you heard the news of Sharp?”

            Dorian arched a black brow, his temper sparking at the name. “What of him?” he growled.

            “He’s bankrupt.”

            Dorian’s face shifted with surprise, “Sharp?”

            Edmund nodded, “Evidently he is a poor gambler. He gambled away what little inheritance he had left. He’s fled London, rumor has it the winning beneficiary wasn’t satisfied with his winnings.”

            Sharp was the least of his worries. He had not forgotten that Sharp had partially participated in Ginelle’s captivity but it would seem fate had other plans for the man and he was temporarily satisfied with the outcome.

            Pierino’s body was discovered alongside the road, miles from Cambridge with a severed wound to his underbelly, every possession of worth on his person stolen as abruptly as the breath from his lungs. As much of a potential danger the thief had been to Ginelle, the man had not deserved such a fate and had made a mistake in swindling the Baron. 

            However, he thought broodingly, Victoria remained a threat. Since returning to London he had immediately began searching the streets but word of the red-head remained aloof. She would continue to be a danger to Ginelle so as long as she breathed and he vowed to assure Ginelle’s safety, even if it meant resorting to certain tactics.

            Later that evening, Dorian lifted his head as the door to his study opened and Cummings entered the room. Dorian motioned Stefan to a chair across from him and grinned as his friend sauntered casually into the room, a slight smirk inadvertently tweaking the corners of his mouth as he sat down and leaned comfortably back.

            Dorian arched a dark brow as he studied Stefan amusingly, “You seem in high spirits today?” he inquired, suddenly curious to his Lieutenant’s elatedness.

            Stefan grinned despite himself, “I am pleased as over a particular thing.”

            “This particular thing would happen to be a woman?”

            Stefan’s grin widened.

            “Ah, I see.” Dorian mused, smiling and than asked, “I’m sure you’re aware of why I’ve asked you here?”

            Stefan nodded, “Aye and I’ve given it some thought.”

            Dorian straightened, “And?”

            Stefan leaned forward, “I will steer the vessels and do the trade but I am not your Captain. I shall and always remain your Lieutenant. Is that a compromise we can agree upon?”

            Dorian smirked, “I suppose that can suffice.”

            Stefan narrowed his eyes, suddenly suspicious. “I am surprised you did not fight me on this? What have you up your sleeve?”

            His manner hardened suddenly as he straightened to his feet and said, “Victoria is in town.”

            Stefan frowned, “How do you know this?”

            “I have my sources.” He said and than added, “It seems she had business elsewhere.”

            “So what do you plan to do?”

            Dorian turned and peered at Stefan, “She is the reason I’ve asked for you today.”

            Stefan arched a brow, suddenly intrigued, “I’m listening.”

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Hunger By Rose Autumn

General Fiction

134K 6.5K 56
Thank you to @_munroe for the new cover! Austin is on the run after kidnapping his little sister, "Pixie", the only thing he cares about and the onl...
271K 7.2K 51
After the death of her beloved father, 16 year old Alexis Rivera is sent to England to get over her sadness and turn into the sassy, sarcastic girl e...
116K 4.1K 59
Ava was tortured by foster parents. She moved to a small town where she met the Winget Siblings, slowly Ava started to unfold the mysteries of her l...
605 5 18
Here I sit in this dark room. Alone. Wrists covered in warm, dark blood. Waiting to be saved from this hell hole of a life... ...