Chapter Twelve

His face had aged much over the past couple of years, a significant amount of alcohol partaking in the unmistakable withered face staring back at Ginelle. His eyes were still as sharp and obsidian. His hair was brushed back from his face, revealing those familiar distinct angles of cruelty.

Pierino's granite eyes moved over the length of her, taking in her soaked gown and slipper-adorned feet. His mouth twisted into a sinister sneer as he reached down to retrieve his hat and righted it atop his head. "Ye startled me, kitten."

"Don't call me that." Her voice cracked as she watched him cautiously, carefully stepping left as he advanced right.

A glint of surprise surfaced in his black eyes as he studied the defiant little woman glaring back at him. If not for the large, unguarded brown eyes, he would have overlooked this impertinent female but there was no mistaking the eyes or pale hair.

A deep chuckle rose from his throat as he swept out his arms, "Who would have thought out of sheer luck ye would fall practically into my hands while I am out plundering, eh?" he began circling her, his eyes assessing her appearance. "Ye have managed far better than I expected. Tell me-" his eyes narrowed as he nudged his head towards the golden hall, "-who are ye to these braggarts?"

Ginelle struggled to keep her fears at bay. She cast a glance towards the hall where the murmur of the crowd and band were barely intangible over the loud crack of thunder. No one would hear her scream if she attempted.

"What are you doing here?" she asked hoping to distract him as she searched for a means of escape.

Her chest swelled with fear as he took a step towards her, "One has to make a living." He said in a toneless voice, his eyes narrowed dangerously. "I am not entirely satisfied with how ye have compensated for me generous act. Yer debt is not paid."

"Who are you to extract this debt?" she demanded, "I owe you nothing."

His face twisted with anger that darkened his ebony eyes. "It seems time apart, garbed in fancy garments has made ye brave, but yer bravery has made ye foolish." He extended a hand to her, "Ye will come with me now lest I drag yer body myself."

Terror threatened to render her numb and she struggled with her wavering defiance. "I will never return to you."

He dropped his hand, "Vera' well."

Pierino lunged for her and a cry of anguish tore from her throat as she turned to flee. Trepidation paralyzed her limbs and she stumbled while those fears and horrors that lay dormant, came flooding back in horrifying recognition. The memory of her father's death and those torturous years spent with Pierino came rushing back in vivid detail, shattering her sheltered solace.

A scream lodged in her throat as his hand seized painfully around her arm. She pivoted her body and raked her nails across his face, drawing thin streaks of blood across his cheek. Pierino yelped as his face shifted with malice and his fingers tightened around her arm, drawing a cry past her lips as he drew back his fist.

Pain exploded across her jaw as the impact sent her reeling. Her body collided roughly with the ground and her surroundings spiraled into vertigo. She clenched her eyes against the hazy red cloud as she struggled to pull her body up.

She felt herself being lifted and panic erupted in her chest as she raised her elbow, bringing it up with enough force to connect with Pierino's ribs. He released her abruptly and clutched his wounded side. Ginelle gathered her heavy skirts in one hand as she scrambled to her feet and began to run.