Chapter Twenty-Three

As the tiny bundle within her womb grew, her pain lessened moderately through the approaching weeks but Dorian’s loss remained branded on her heart. She knew she would never love another and slowly came to means with her new life of loneliness, and yet, her life was not as lonely as she imagined it to be. She had her child and Lucile, even the servants who adoringly waited on her, and her beloved friend Ellison. She was not entirely alone and somehow that brought a bit of reassurance.

            The approach of winter brought heavy snowfalls and vast white skies. Ginelle spent a majority of her time with Lucile, preparing for the holiday season. Cook was especially excited for this was the season that induced hearty meals and delightful desserts. The servants bustled into preparing Ashford for the Christmas holiday, creating hand-made ornaments and decorations made of glass beads, tinsel and an assortment of lace and ribbon. Days were spent devoted to preparations for the approaching festivities and it gave Ginelle much distraction from a monumental absence.

            She noticed particularly that Lieutenant Cummings visited often, his warm demeanor brought on a sense of security but at the same time, his company reminded her painfully of the man she loved.

            That evening, Ginelle settled into the parlor, finding comfort next to the fireplace. It was one of her favorite rooms in the entire house. Every inch of the room displayed an assortment of gilt porcelain and hand-crafted pottery. The ceiling bestowed a beautifully silver chandelier that in the full-bloom of spring, the crystals glinted light stars on a crisp night. Oil paintings adorned the pale walls and floral carpets extended along the smooth surface of the parlor floor. Sheer lace curtains ran the length of tall windows where the light of day could shimmer across the sleek black surface of the piano.

            She had settled into one of the velvet seats before the hearth and occupied a book to pass the time. She could hear the servants hustling about, engaged in their daily tasks, and could smell sweet aromas drifting from the kitchen where Cook prepared the evening meal.

            She closed the book in her lap and stared blankly into the fire.

            “I thought I would find you here.”

            Ginelle jerked to the present, her attention averting to the front of the parlor where Lieutenant Cummings stood, smiling gently, his arms folded modestly behind his back.

            “May I join you?” he inquired.

            She straightened and offered a tentative smile, “Of course.” She said lightly, motioning towards the seat across from her.

            He settled across from her and she was discreetly grateful for the sudden distraction. “Will you be staying for supper?” she asked gently, noticing his gaze strayed away from hers.

            “Thank you but no, madame.” He replied.

            Ginelle frowned; did she detect a slight edge to his voice? She folded her hands in her lap and studied him with due consideration until finally she asked, “Is something troubling you, Lieutenant?”