Chapter Nine

Evening approached with rolling, gray clouds and a sinking chill. Ginelle moved to the window and watched as rain began to pelt the window. She shivered inwardly as she wrapped her arms around her body and stepped away. The rain forebodes a deep inkling of apprehension. She had never liked the rain, it only increased her anxiety.

Turning away from the window she quickly assessed her room for a distraction. She spotted a book lying on the table she had finished the previous day. Mayhap a new book would keep her occupied for some time.

She left the room, closing the door gently behind her, and started towards the study where the books were kept. There were two separate studies. The one she was headed towards which was at the end of the hall and the other, Dorian's study. He spent a majority of his time there. She wondered for a moment why he spent so much time in his study. What kept him so occupied? What was he always thinking? Was he always managing business or did he think on his troubled past, the loss of Eloise?

She took her time sorting through the many books lining the shelves along the walls. After debating between several, she decided on two. Pulling them from the shelf, she tucked them under her arm and started back towards her room.

As she headed towards the end of the hall to her chamber, she stopped half-way. Gripping her skirts in one hand with her books tucked under the other, she stared down at the crease of light emitting through the parted door.

Her heart began to pulse with unease. She had shut the door when she left, of that she was certain. Had Ingrid come back?

Hesitantly, she moved towards the door and pushed it open. Ginelle inhaled sharply at the overturned mattress and coverlets dispersed beneath it. Her eyes widened as she studied the room in utter disarray. Objects lay scattered through out the room, along the floor in a disordered fashion.

Stunned, she could only stare in bewilderment at her destroyed room. A sudden noise to her right jerked her attention around, expecting to find Ingrid, instead she found a looming frame garbed in black.

Her mouth fell open in outrage as she took several angry steps towards him. "What do you think-"

Dorian turned and the fire in his eyes brought her up short. She blanched at the evident signs of anger and for a moment, she thought him capable of violence. The muscle in his jaw clenched painfully and she could just see the pulse beneath his skin, throbbing from the fury within. She had never seen him so enraged. She didn't recognize this menacing stature of a man with eyes like blue fire. She had witnessed Dorian's anger, but this was in no comparison.

She swallowed back a sudden lump lodged in her throat as she stepped back, a flood of fear and confusion swallowing her whole as he started towards her. It was then she noticed his fist clenched between them, clutched between his fingers was a long golden chain.

Frozen and startled by his black expression, she could only stare dumbfounded at his hand. "Where did you get this?" his voice had dropped dangerously low and fear settled heavily in her stomach.

Ginelle opened her mouth to say something but words failed to come out. Her apprehension choked her of any response and she could only stare wide-eyed as he closed the space between them to tower over her. She could only hear the frantic beat of her heart, pounding in her ears as images came flooding back. For a startling moment, she thought she saw the face of Pierino standing over her.

"Answer me!" he demanded.

She winced and would have stepped back but his fingers snaked around her upper arm and an alarming fear scuttled through her as his grip tightened, jerking her forward. The books from under her arm flopped to the floor and she nearly tripped over them as he dragged her towards the bureau.