Moving on

By LevyLily

Levy was living a normal calm life. Gajeel was living one day at the time, doing what was needed to survive... More

Chapter 1 : Improbable
Chapter 2 : Change
Chapter 3 : Frustration
Chapter 4 : Beyond appearances
Chapter 5 : Stubborn
Chapter 6 : Amazing
Chapter 7 : Problems
Chapter 8 : Get to know each other
Chapter 9 : Questions
Chapter 10 : Two weeks
Chapter 11 : Demons
Chapter 12 : Despair
Chapter 13 : Unknown
Chapter 14 : Shelter
Chapter 15 : Impulse
Chapter 16 : Burns
Chapter 17 : Wonderful, albeit too short lull
Chapter 18 : Plan
Chapter 19 : Promise
Chapter 21 : I love you
Chapter 22 : Family
Chapter 23 : Gunshot
Chapter 24 : Moving on
Epilogue

Chapter 20 : The attack

224 8 4
By LevyLily

Gajeel was laying on the bed, eyes locked on the ceiling. For one of the firsts times in his life, he wasn't falling asleep. He let out a sigh that looked more like a growl than anything else. Insomnia had definitely made him grumpy. He didn't even want to imagine how tomorrow would be a pain.

Next to him, he could hear Levy breathing steadily. It took her a while before she finally fell asleep, her fear too present. "At least, she managed to get some sleep" he thought while looking at the blue haired girl. The weapons Makarov had given them were placed on the nightstand, ready to be used if needed. According to the old man, it was only a question of time before his son would attack once more and they had to stay alert. He thought about the events of the past weeks until he, slowly, fell into slumber. At least, he guessed he had fallen asleep because he woke up with a start. Gajeel knew that, because of his numerous years living in a dangerous place, his hearing was sharper than normal. And he had heard something, he was pretty sure of that.

He scanned the room. Nothing. The darkness made the task nearly impossible, but he had the feeling he saw a shadow. Listening to his instinct that was screaming to move, he circled Levy's waist with one arm and rolled on the side of the bed, falling off of it. The young man cushioned their fall the best he could with his legs and free arm to reduce the noise of the impact. Less than a couple of seconds later, a series of gunshots wrecked the bed where, an instant before, Gajeel and Levy were laying.

Brutally woken up, completely disoriented, Levy was about to scream, but Gajeel had his hand already on her mouth.

- Shush! He whispered.

And she did so, fear still in her eyes. Gajeel's mind was on alert. What to do next? They where practically sure the assassins would check if their mission was completed. Soon, the darkness of the room would neither be much use. "Think Gajeel, think!" If only he could reach the weapons without drawing attention on them... A small hand tapped his shoulder attracting his attention to the one he was still holding in his arm. Levy was pointing something on the floor. Folding his eyes for a better view, he finally spotted the carpet she was pointing. "A carpet..." he thought "what a stupid useless thing". Then he smiled understanding what Levy was trying to tell him. She never ceased to amaze him. Maybe the carpet wasn't that useless after all! Levy and him gave each other an understanding look. He gripped the side of it and waited. He had to wait for the perfect moment. A second too fast had their plan would fail. A second later... he didn't even want to think about it.

Two man entered the room and lighted it up. "Now!" Thought Gajeel while violently pulling on the carpet, provoking the fall of the assassins. He barely had time to recover form his move that Levy was giving him a gun she was able to reach on the nightstand during the distraction.

Without hesitation, he pointed the gun on their enemies. However, he was aware that they where in another impasse. He pulled Levy behind him with his left hand even if he knew that, in the worst case scenario, she wouldn't be safe for long. Both sides were staring at each other, their weapon pointed at the other. On the bright side, neither of their opponents seemed to be ready the be deadly hurt. But with the luck they had up to now, Gajeel wouldn't be surprised if more assassins would join the fight. If that was the case, he truly didn't know how they'd be able to get out of this alive. His heart skipped a beat when he noticed another shadow coming towards them behind their enemies. Talking about luck, there it was, failing them again...

***

Mirajane sat on the couch, laying in the numerous pillows she had prepared for Laxus, the later choosing to use her tights rater than one of the pillows. Neither was in the mood for sleeping. They simply had decided to lay like that, waiting for time to pass. The young man had opened the TV a couple of hours ago, but it was simply showing random images, the volume down to zero. It was more an habit than otherwise. The television could have shown commercials since the beginning, neither would have noticed.

- He's gonna come in person this time, eh? Whispered Mira.

- I can't pretend I know the guy well, but yes, its his type, let out the young man.

To her lack of reaction, Laxus finally turned his look to her. Her beautiful blue eyes looked empty and where staring the nothingness in front of her.

- Mira?

Still no answer.¸

- Mira! He said louder, making her jump.

"Nice move Laxus!" He reprimanded himself. But she was looking towards him, still not saying a damn word.

- Wake up Mirajane! He yelled. That is not you at all!

Okay... That was worst than startling her like he just did, but at least, she finally had a reaction.

- Sorry, she said.

- Tsss... Don't apologise. Just stop acting like you're already dead. Ivan's strong, but not invincible.

- I can't do this again Laxus...

Tears were now falling down her cheeks. The young Dreyar hated seeing her like that, but she was at least out of her trance. He rose, dried a tear like he did in Hargeon's motel. Then he did what he never could have imagine to do with anyone and took her in his arms, gently, only guided by the desire to see her feel better. She closed her arms around him and hid her heard in the crook of his shoulder.

- It wont happen again, he comforted her. We'll survive this bastard's attack. I wont let them hurt you.

Mira could feel the tension in Laxus's voice. She knew he couldn't make those kind of promises. But it made her feel better to hear him say them. She tightened a little her hold of him. Then she heard a shooting sound coming from an apartment next to them. "Gajeel and Levy" she thought. Barely a few seconds later, she could discern the sound of a broken window coming from her room. Her heart skipped a beat. It was happening now. Adrenalin rushing trough her veins, Laxus's words in mind, she gathered enough courage to focus on what was appening. A torrent of gunshots where fired in her room. Listening to common sense, Laxus and her walked to the apartment's door.

However, simply a couple of feet before the doorstep, Laxus froze and pushed her on the side, out of sight. Mira understood an instant later when she saw another attacker, a gun directed on the one that was more and more important to her.

- And again we meet, said the man they both recognised as the one that shot Mira at the port.

- I thought you had enough, spat Laxus.

"How many are they?" Worried the young woman. Whatever, they would not give in, she told herself, focussing more then ever on the blond man's words. With all her discretion, she took out the dagger Laxus gave to her and slid in their enemy's back while the later seemed to savor the vengeance he was about to get.

- You make one move, and I wont hesitate to cut your throat, she whispered while pushing her dagger under his chin.

It was a lie. She would never do such a thing, but that, he wasn't aware. For what he knew, she could have no mercy. Noticing his hesitation, she added.

- We don't want to hurt you, just survive.

She was telling the truth. She hopped so much everything could be erased, that everyone could forget why they were fighting and all just go back unharmed, but she knew it was too late for that.

- No one escapes from Ivan, he nourished her fears with a snicker. Then he let his weapon fall on the ground, probably estimating his chances of survival where practically to zero if he shot Laxus.

That done, the young Dreyar quickly made him loose consciousness with a punch. An uneasy feeling of déjà-vu took over him, but he tried to ignore it. They didn't have a second to waist. Those who attacked the room wouldn't delay on noticing they weren't in there. So he took Mira's hand and rushed outside, the young woman on his trail. Out of breath, they got out of the building before running into Juvia and Gray.

- Are you alright? Juvia heard gunshots! Yelled the blue haired young woman while throwing herself in Mira's arms.

- Yes, we're fine, she reassured them. And you?

- Gray and Juvia haven't been attacked.

- And the other residents? Said Mira horrified when she noticed there was no other girl living in Fairy Hill that had made it outside.

- Gramps gave Wendy "permission" to organise a sleepover at the hostel with the other girls, explained Gray.

Laxus couldn't help but smile at his grandfather's initiative. It was so much like him.

- We have to find the others, said Mira after letting out a long sigh of relief.

All approved. Laxus glanced at the apartment block way too peaceful for the real situation. Until now, Makarov was right with all of his predictions. His father was there, somewhere, he was sure of that. Blood was boiling in his veins. They started to walk, on guard, knowing that this was only the beginning of the attack.

Hi guys! Hope you enjoyed this twentieth chapter while the final battle they were anticipating has finally started! :o

Have a nice day-evening! Don't forget to comment :)

Lily xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 360 21
A story about a friend of Gajeel and Juvia coming to Fairy Tail to get help. The girl makes a fuss in the guild and between Gajeel and Levy, and show...
37.8K 1K 43
After getting out of a toxic relationship, Lucy Heartfilia goes home to Magnolia to escape California and memories of her old boyfriend. Is it a coi...
16.1K 675 12
ONE OF MY FIRST STORIES!! BEWARE OF ERRORS!! Levy is an astronomer, with a dream, to someday do to another planet. When the offer to do so, comes aro...
1.7K 69 13
Fairy Tail High is a boarding school. Two students who have seen one another around school, but never talked to each other, meet one day when they bu...