A Love Worthy

By inkzerospace

Ginelle Hayes is orphaned, and after escaping her abusive guardian with a dark secret, she finds herself alon... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Two

187K 7.1K 439
By inkzerospace

  *Readers-just a note; this chapter is not the last chapter of "A Love Worthy", it may give that impression, but I ensure, there are more to come.:) Enjoy!

          Sterling narrowed his eyes on the intruder, the hand gripping the pistol steady and evened firmly at his chest. “I could have you killed for this.” He growled, his eyes wavering nervously to the finger hovering just lightly above the trigger.

            Dorian grinned smugly. “Not if I end you now.”

            Sterling’s throat convulsed fearfully above the iron, “Ashford I presume?” he said a bit shakily, “Where is my man?”

            Dorian smirked coldly, “Blackburn enlightened me by testing the pistol first. Let’s avoid the details. Now I’m sure you’re aware of why I’m here?”

            Sterling’s nostrils flared as his face reddened angrily. “The girl is mine by birthright.”

            The hand around the pistol tightened a fraction and Sterling tensed. “Do not waste my time, Sterling. You have my woman and child. I suggest you bring her to me now or I’ll simply end you now and see to finding her myself.”

            Sterling remained firm, “As I’ve said, the girl is mine. You do not have the right to barge into my home making demands.”

            “Are you not familiar with a Marquis of Northampton?”

            Sterling stiffened his eyes hardening beneath Dorian’s icy stare. “I believe we need not further continue on this nonsense. My patience grows thin; you will produce the girl to me now.”

            Sterling snorted, “You forget that I am a man of wealth and power. I’ll see that you hang for this, and if I am dead, there are others that will see it done.”

            “There are other higher authorities, Baron. You are oblivious to the moment that I give you a chance to walk away with your life intact. Mayhap I should take this matter of false imprisonment to the King? You have detained a Lady without lawful authority and considering that you and I are both well acquainted with the Marquis of Northampton, who I might add is an admired colleague of the King himself, it seems the odds are against you. So what have you, Sterling?”

            Sterling inhaled deeply, his eyes like granite. “And if I do not comply?”

            “I will follow through on my threats and see that the King strips you of your title and lands. I think it wise you consider your options.”

            Sterling cleared his throat, “If I give the girl to you, you will let the matter fall?”

            Dorian nodded, “With your word that neither you nor any man you hire will seek to take what is mine again?”

            Sterling stiffened as another man appeared in the parlor, this one much smaller in size but his russet eyes revealing a calculating look as they assessed Sterling solemnly. “All well, Captain?”

            Neither the pistol nor the penetrating blue stare ever wavered from Sterling. “Aye, Lieutenant. You may begin searching the premises.”

            “There is no need.” Sterling blurted, “She is on the second floor, third door down.”

            Dorian remained as Stefan left the room in search of Ginelle. “Just to ensure her safety, I intend to marry her. There will be no need for me to explain what will happen if you have any notions of kidnapping my wife?”

            Sterling nodded grimly. “I give you my word.”

            Dorian took a step back from Sterling and slowly lowered the pistol. A feminine gasp penetrated the silence and he turned and felt his heart somersault against his chest as his eyes met the dewy-brown eyes of the woman he loved.

            He leveled another hard stare on Sterling before crossing the room and taking Ginelle’s arm firmly in one hand and began leading her towards the door.

            She pulled away and said softly, “I have a small request?”

            Dorian glanced at Sterling before meeting her wide, hopeful stare. “Now is not the time, mon peu l'un.”

            Her hand fluttered to rest lightly on his forearm as she stared up at him, “I wish to take Thora with me.”

            His black brows knitted together with puzzlement. “Who?”

            Ginelle turned and peered into the corner where a thin silhouette hovered. Dorian lifted his head and motioned for the girl to come forward.

            The girl stepped toward them, her dark head downcast as Dorian studied her a moment. “Come, girl.” He ordered.

            Sterling snorted with disgust as he downed another glass of brandy. “Take the half-witted wench. She is of no use to me any how.” He tossed the glass across the room and stalked away, mumbling curses beneath his breath.

            Ginelle’s heart tightened in her chest as Thora’s expression wavered by the harsh retort. She reached out and seized Thora’s hand, squeezing gently as she said, “Come Thora.”

**********

            The journey back to Ashford was anything but rejoicing. The four of them remained silent as the carriage transported them along the winding road back to London.

            Ginelle continued to peer over at Dorian from beneath lowered lashes, her thoughts increasingly worried for he had rarely said a word or even looked at her since leaving Cambridge. She felt his anger emanating from his body as his face took on a hardened mask that revealed nothing of his emotions. She wondered than if he still believed she carried Stefan’s child?

            The moment she realized Dorian had come for her, she had wanted to leap into his arms and weep with delirium but her instincts warned her that he was angry and that her affections were wasted. His demeanor was distant and almost cold, his thoughts clearly withdrawn and unaware of her glancing looks.

            A shudder passed through her body as she remembered there last encounter. He had been so furious and his harsh accusations had hurt deeply, but despite all that, she loved him. She bit down on her lower lip, resisting the impulse to confess all that her foolish little heart kept concealed. She had been so credulous, easily swayed into believing even for a moment that Dorian felt strongly about her.

            She felt the rush of tears and quickly turned her face toward the window. She couldn’t abide the thought of Dorian hating her, looking at her with accusation in his eyes. She would not consent to live with his coldness and consistent doubtfulness. She refused to torment her heart any more than what it had already suffered.

            She couldn’t have been more relieved when she felt the strong pull of exhaustion and gave in to the lethargy.

            When next she woke, the carriage was rocking to a halt. Her eyes struggled to open but as she attempted to wake, strong arms slipped protectively around her, lifting her easily from the carriage, and her head lolled against a broad shoulder and she slipped blissfully asleep.

            Ginelle awoke some time later, surprised to be abed and donned in nothing but a loose fitting chemise. As she straightened to peer around the room she was even more startled to see that she had slept in Dorian’s bed. Sitting up, she pushed tousled strands of hair from her face and jerked when a shadow moved along the room.

            Stiffening, she met Dorian’s hooded stare regarding her quietly. He stepped towards her and she winced beneath his hardened expression and pulled the blanket tighter against her chest. His large frame tensed at this and his blue eyes darkened with contempt. Ginelle noticed the muscle tightening along his jaw as his eyes took on an unyielding gleam.

            “Do you fear me now?” his terse words made her flinch not with fear but confusion as to his accosting glare. She took note that his fists were balled at his sides, and his manner bespoke his blackened mood.

            She frowned, shaking her head gently. “You think I fear you?”

            His solid visage flickered with confusion before hardening once more as he stepped towards her, his resolve settling as he fixed her with a doubtful stare. “Your manner bespeaks your fear of me.” her confusion deepened even more for she sensed remorse along with the anger in his voice and it suddenly dawned on her, his anger was not directed towards her, but himself. He had mistaken her fear for another.

            She pushed the blanket aside and arose to her feet. He watched her cross towards him, his body rigid as she stood before him, her soft eyes peering up at him with an emotion he dare not recognize. Her flaxen hair pooled over her shoulders like rivulets of moonlight, enhancing the ethereal glow of her skin, and he longed to claim her subtle kiss.

            He stood motionless, unmoving as she reached tentatively between them to place her hands flat against his chest, her fingers exploring the hardened muscle beneath the tunic and he felt a sudden groan in his throat. She leaned closer and the sweet smell of heather filled his senses, tugging on the strong urges pulsating through his body.

            Her eyes fluttered down and he watched the delicate movement as her feather-lashes rested gently atop high-cheekbones. “You believe I think you capable of hurting me.” She said softly, drawing his attention as she lifted her head.

            He inhaled deeply, his chest rising as his fists tightened and the muscle at his jaw flexed as he said, “Don’t you?”

            Her eyes fixated on his chest where her hands splayed wide and he noticed a distinct shudder pass through her slender shoulders. “It is not your temper that has me afraid.” She paused as she lowered her head, his brows knitting together with puzzlement as she continued, “I fear your distrust in me.” her voice quivered at this and she met his startled expression and added, “I fear that you do not love me as I do you.” She said this with fresh tears brimming in her eyes.

            Dorian was jolted into bewilderment by her words. He had expected her anger, her hatred towards him for treating her so harshly, for accusing her so cruelly, but he had not expected her love. She stood before him, her heart completely exposed and vulnerable and her eyes wide with uncertainty as to what he felt and her fear of his response as clear as light.

            Unable to resist any longer, he reached up and gently took her hands in one as the other slipped affectionately around her waist, drawing her close. He smiled inwardly as he felt her swollen belly brush lightly against him, her womb carrying his child. She gasped as he leaned close, his mouth hovering above her own as he whispered lightly, “You little fool-“ his lips curved into a smile as he reached up and cupped her chin gently, “-how could you not know that a day in my life without you is a lifetime of darkness.”

            His lips brushed the corners of her mouth and she shuddered in his arms, her hands curling in his tunic as he said, “I’ve loved you the moment I laid eyes on you, knew from that moment that you were mine.” he captured her lips and she gasped as his arm tightened around her, her heart soaring within her chest as all her fears and doubts melted away with his fiery kiss.

            He swept her into his arms and carried her to the bed. He gently placed her down and she watched as he shed his tunic, exposing the bruises and wounds that marred his chest.

            Ginelle gasped as she sat upright, her eyes widening with affliction as she studied the horrid display. “What did that man do to you?”

            Dorian saw fresh tears in her eyes and leaned down to cup her face in his hands, drawing her attention to him. “It is nothing.”

            She shook her head, attempting to pull away. “You could have died.” Her voice tightened at the thought.

            He settled beside her and pulled her into his lap. “The pain I suffered does not compare to the torment of not knowing where you were.” He leaned forward and nestled his head between her neck and shoulder, his dark tresses tickling the underside of her chin. “I went mad not knowing where to find you, not knowing if you were being harmed and I was not there to prevent it.” His arms slipped around her and tightened, crushing her affectionately against him.

            “Marry me.” he whispered against the crook of her neck.

            “What?” she gasped, fearful she had not heard right.

            He straightened and Ginelle was startled by his tender expression and the clear, crystal blue of his eyes as they peered at her with such clarifying sincerity. “I love you, ma petite. Marry me.” he reached up and brushed his thumb along her lips, “I cannot abide life without you. Become my wife.”

            She felt an abruptness of tears and an exhilarating rush of happiness to where she was almost breathless. “Yes.” She cried readily, “Yes, yes!” Dorian laughed as she flung her arms around him, collapsing atop him as they tumbled backward onto the bed, giggling.

            He kissed her with such sweetness that she nearly whimpered adoringly. He lifted his head and his blue eyes moved warmly over her pausing along the swell of her belly. He reached over and gently laid his hand there, his mouth curling at the thought of many more to come.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

860K 61.4K 44
(DARK ROMANCE THRILLER) Millicent Davis hates her life with her uncle and jumps at the chance to work for the famously rich and influential family Mo...
50.8K 1K 17
A fifteen year old girl who was abused was told by her goblin uncle figure there was a marriage cobtract bewteen her and a older male who lives in Go...
116K 4.1K 59
Ava was tortured by foster parents. She moved to a small town where she met the Winget Siblings, slowly Ava started to unfold the mysteries of her l...
Hunger By Rose Autumn

General Fiction

136K 6.6K 56
Thank you to @_munroe for the new cover! Austin is on the run after kidnapping his little sister, "Pixie", the only thing he cares about and the onl...