A Hero or a Talon?

Per DC_lover

After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been... Més

Prologue
Gotham City
The Dark Knight
A Criminal
Mount Justice
The Joker
The Batcave
Random Acts of Kindness
Reminders of the Past
Meet the Team
Bonds
A New Home
The Blue Boy Scout
Terrors of the Day
Downtime
Bereft
Restless Nights
Homefront
Alpha Male
Day Off
Season 3
Revelation
Failsafe
(Insert Clever Title Name)
Family Reunion
The End

Infiltrator

12K 451 131
Per DC_lover

READ BELOW READ BELOW
So, I will be changing up this episode immensely! It seemed to be one of the only missions that I could recreate without having to change too much.... So, Artemis will not be BRAND new in this scene, unlike the show. And the team will not see her as an unknown new girl, but as a normal team member who is still pretty new, but they are still unaware of her relation to Cheshire and Sports Master.

Robin sighed as he stepped into the main room in Mount Justice. Yes, he had bonded with the team well yesterday, but he still wasn't looking forward to the mission. It didn't help that he still had the electric shock collar on his neck- which was incredibly impossible to sleep in. Fortunately, the collar on his own uniform hid it well.

Batman was currently in the main room, as well as the other team members, plus some other people Robin had just met.

The first one looked to be a robot. He was completely red, had yellow symbols on his chest and forehead, and he also wore a blue cape. To be honest, Robin thought he looked kind of lame. Though, supposedly, this guy was their "den mother", so he would probably seen a lot of him. Plus his name was Red Tornado, which Robin figured had something to do with his abilities.

Robin then paused. No, he would not be seeing a lot of Red Tornado. What was he talking about? He was supposed to leave as soon as possible...

The only other man who Robin did not know there went by the name Green Arrow. He wore all green, and appeared to be an archer- Just like Artemis. He had blonde hair and a goatee which Robin found impossible not to laugh at.

Recognized: Speedy B06

"It's Red Arrow. Update." The voice of the arrived guest yelled.

"Roy, you look...." Green Arrow looked shocked at his former protege.

"Replaceable." Ouch, Dick thought as he watched the events that occurred. He had heard that Artemis was Green Arrows new protege, but he had never considered that there would have been an old one.

"It's not like that. You told me you were going solo."

"So why waste time finishing a sub? Can she even use that bow?" Roy seemed to be on the verge of yelling now. Honestly, Robin wasn't exactly caught up on who this guy was, but Robin could already tell that he had slight anger issues and he wasn't sure if they would get along too well.

Artemis looked offended as she stepped forward,"Yes, she can."

Aqualad quickly saw that their fight would escalate, so he stepped in,"You came to us for a reason."

"Yeah, a reason named Dr. Serling Roquette."

Robin raised an eyebrow as he pulled up as much information on her as he could on his wrist- holocomputer," Nano-robotics genius and claytronics expert at Royal University in Star City vanished two weeks ago." All the info on his wrist-computer was now projected to all of the other members of the team.

"Abducted two weeks ago," Roy cut in," By the League of Shadows."

"Woah," Kid Flash gasped," You want us to rescue her from the shadows? Hardcore." He went to fist bump Robin, but Robin raised an eyebrow, unsure of what he was asking. Wally shook his head and sighed as he lowered his fist and continued to listen to Roy.

"I already rescued her," Roy began to walk towards the display area," Only one problem-" He then stopped as he saw Robin. Obviously, he hadn't noticed him before,"Who are you?"

Robins eyes widened as he realized that Red Arrow was talking to him.

"New team mate." Batman replied before he could, sending him a stern look obviously saying 'you-better-not-tell-him-otherwise'.

At the words 'new team mate' Robin almost started laughing, or choking. He wasn't even sure anymore. He definitely was not a new teammate. He was not here to stay. Yes, the team proved to be nice and pretty cool, but he couldn't stay. He wouldn't risk the Court hurting these people.

"Another new team mate,"Roy glared,"Who'd you replace?"

Robin sent a slight glare back, but didn't reply, knowing that he probably would get in trouble if he did. What was this guys problem anyways?

"What are you, like 11?" Robin rolled his eyes and kept his glare on Roy. Yes, Robin was short, but he definitely did not look like an eleven year old.

"You know what, Speedy-" Robin began by using that name, seeing that Red Arrow wasn't too fond of it.

"Robin." Batman spoke sternly and Robin stopped talking but he kept his glare on the teen," Red Arrow, please continue."

Roy nodded," The Shadows had already coerced her into creating a weapon. Doc calls it The Fog. Comprised of millions of microscopic robots- nanotech infiltrators. Capable of disintegrating anything in their path. Concrete, steel, flesh, bone... But it's true purpose is of mere destruction and theft. Infiltrators even store raw data from any computer system and deliver the stolen intel to the Shadows. Providing them access to weapons, strategic defense, cutting edge science and tech."

"Perfect for extortion, manipulation, and power broking. Yeah, sounds like the shadows," Artemis interrupted.

Kid Flash rolled his eyes," Like you know anything about the shadows." Artemis just smirked causing Kid Flash to groan send a glare.

Robin had already noticed that she wasn't exactly the most liked member on the team. He figured it was because she was the newbie out of the five, and the fact that she was Red Arrows replacement probably didn't help her case.

Roy ignored their slight feud and continue,"Roquette's working on a virus to render the fog inert."

Robin thought about the events taking place. He wasn't exactly sure who the Shadows were. He had picked up that they weren't exactly good guys, but didn't that mean...,"But if the shadows know she can do that-"

"They'd target her." Roy cut him off, once again,"Right now, she's off the grid. I stashed her at the local schools computer lab."

"You left her alone?" Green Arrow asked, much to Red Arrows annoyance.

"She's safe now."

"Then let's you and I keep her that way."

Roy seemed as if he was considering it for a second, before his face filled with anger,"You and I? Don't you want to take your new protégé."

Green Arrow stepped forward to say something, but stopped as he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Batman. Green Arrow seemed to nod before speaking again," You brought this to the team. It's their mission. Which means it's hers now too." He gestured to Artemis.

"Then my job's done." Roy then took that opportunity to leave, causing the zeta tube to announce his departure.

----

"Everyone online?" M'ganns voice asked, sending a pain to Robins head.

"This is weird...." He replied. How was she even in his head? He knew that M'gann and Superboy were somewhere outside of the building, but they were not in the same place as him. Only Artemis, Aqualad, and Kid Flash (who was eating a candy bar for a reason unknown to Robin) were, so, yeah, calling this mind link weird was definitely an understatement.

"And distracting...,"Doctor Roquette began complaining, and Robin tried his best to ignore her, but she was in his mind,"....And now I have to hear teen think in my skull?" She grasped her head as if just them being connected was an unbearable pain.

Kid Flash seemed to want none of that though,"Do you always complain when someone tries to help you?"

Artemis gestured towards the Doctor and Kid Flash,"Pot, Kettle." She then overdramatically shrugged.

Kid Flash stopped eating his candy bar,"Hey, I do not need attitude from the newbie who kicked the Red Arrow off the team."

Artemis quickly jerked forward,"That's so not on me!"

Doctor Roquette spoke again, obviously annoyed,"Fate. Of the world. At stake!"

"She started it!" Kid Flash yelled turning his head back.

"How about I just help Miss Martian and Superboy patrol the perimeter?"

"Good idea." Aqualad spoke up, finally.

Robin sighed. They were being awfully rude to Artemis, well Kid Flash was. Sure, she was new, but so was he. Would they treat him that way? "Try and cut her some slack," He suggested for her sake.

"What? Why? No! She's uptight and annoying."

"You know I can still hear you." Artemis' voice rang in their heads.

"Argh!" Kid Flash groaned.

"I couldn't get the Justice League..." Dr. Roquette complained, and Robin now wanted to complain with her. The two seemed to bicker like an old married couple.

"The virus will be not of much use if we cannot track the weapon. Can you track it?" Aqualad asked, determined to change the subject.

Roquette than seemed offended," My utility fog is not a weapon. It's science- and of course I can track it, but I'd have to go online. Might as well put up a build board at this place with the words 'Assassins comes here' in neon." She placed her head on her hands obviously distraught. Distraught... Robin used to love- He shook his head. He needed to stay focused.

Noticing how upset the Doctor got, Aqualad put a comforting hand on her shoulder,"We will protect you."

Following that, Doctor Roquette pressed a button on the thin keyboard and the computer began tracking,"Tracking the fog." A feminine voice called from the screen.

After the machine was done tracking, it pin pointed to one location: Philadelphia.

---

Meanwhile, Superboy seemed to get a strange feeling when patrolling. So, looking around, and making sure that no one was near, he jumped on top of the building, making his way to M'gann's an Artemis' location.

Once he reached their location, he sent them a slight nod before heading off, away from them.

"Mm, that boy." Artemis fantasized causing Superboy to turn around.

"I can hear you. We all can hear you." M'gann said with high offense.

Aqualad then spoke, ignoring their previous conversation,"Miss Martian, Doctor Roquette has located the fog. Reconfigure the bio-ship so that Robin and Superboy can pursue."

M'gann did exactly what she was told,"Ready."

"Should we be letting Robin go on this? Maybe he should stay." Superboy asked warily.

"Wow, lame, Superboy. I can handle it."

"That's not what I mean."

"If worse comes to worse, we may need his hacking skills, and last time I checked, no one can this team can hack. Correct?" Aqualad quickly ended the small disagreement and then the two darted for the bio ship, leaving the rest of the team. No one noticing Chesire hidden within the bushes.

---

After a moment of standing guard, M'gann still found herself very upset over Artemis' previous behavior.

"You embarrassed Superboy."

"Didn't hear him say that." The archer smirked.

"Must you challenge everyone?" They both turned their heads, allowing Chesire to easily sneak within the building from right behind them.

"Where I come from that's how you survive."

M'ganns expression seemed to fill with sorrow, but immediately switched back to anger.

---

Kid Flash was bored. He had been standing in this hallway for such a long time with absolutely nothing to do. He even finished his candy bar ab- something moved. A shadow. Someone's shadow.

He quickly pursued the shadow, every now and then he lost it, but used his speed to catch up. Therefore, when it walked into a new room, Kid Flash speeded forward to chase them, but he did not realize that marbles littered the floor, causing him to fall.

He groaned slightly at the impact, and was unable to register the situation before a foot slammed in his face, rendering him unconscious.

Unfortunately, Chesire took that to her advantage and dumped his unconscious body into the pool.

---

Once Chesire reached the room with the Doctor, she slowly opened the door. Only allowing a small section to be opened. Then she threw her sharp blade, aiming to kill.

Aqualad noticed the weapon flying right before it hit landed on its target, and jumped in front of the Doctor. He collapsed as soon as the weapon hit him.

"Doctor, get down!"

She didn't seem to fully understand the situation until Chesire revealed herself, earning a yelp from Roquette. Aqualad then placed himself in front of the Doctor, in hopes that he would get hurt, rather than her.

Chesire quickly ran into the room grasping her katanas, prepared to fight,"Mm, that had to hurt."

Aqualad removed the weapon protruding from his hand and he too raised his weapons,"Atlantean skin is quite dense."

They both fought, Aqualad using his water-swords and Chesire using her blades.

"M'gann, Kid, Artemis, we are under attack in the computer lab."He yelled through the link, unknown to Chesire.

"On our way!" Artemis replied, M'gann right behind her. But then M'ganns stopped, receiving a strange feeling and pain from Kid Flash. She immediately stopped and headed to the pool. She gasped as she saw Kid Flash in the pool, face down, drowning. M'gann quickly used her telekinesis to lift Wally and lay his body on the solid ground. She then proceeded by performing CPR until he finally spit up water and was once again breathing.

"M'gann?" He spoke before going into a coughing fit.

She quickly filled him in, and soon enough they were both racing to the computer lab.

Once there, they spotted Artemis aiming arrows at Chesire, but she seemed to dodge them all with her blade.

Chesire muttered something under her breath before throwing something to the ground causing large amounts of smoke and a small explosion. The explosion sent KF barreling in Artemis.

"Urgh." He quickly jumped back, realizing that he had bumped into her. He then looked back to where Chesire previously stood,"Gone!"

"She's getting away! You're letting her get away." Doctor Roquette nagged.

Wally turned up Artemis,"This is all your fault! You were on perimeter. You let a shadow get in."

Artemis walked up to him until they were face to face, but M'gann went to her rescue,"That's not really fair. I was outside too."

"Outside-- being distracted by her." He turned back to Artemis,"Besides, I can't be mad at you."He smirked,"You gave me mouth to mouth."

"We heard that!" A chorus of voices yelled.

"Dang it!" Wally walked away, leaving the two heroines.

"I didn't do half as well during my first mission,"M'gann put an arm on Artemis' shoulder,"And I know you haven't been Green Arrows sidekick for very long."

"Focus, everyone." Aqualad cut them off,"The shadows will be back."

A small beeping was heard,"Robin to Aqualad. We're over Philadelphia. We've located the Shadows next target-- Star Labs.... ---We're too late. It's destroyed! Totally destroyed. The fog decimated it. This is bad... Star Labs is cutting edge science and now their secrets are in the hands of the Shadows." Robin really didn't know much about Star Labs, but in the little time he had to research about them, he read about several of their inventions and ideas. He had to be crazy to say that geniuses weren't working there, and then just to have all that hard work stolen....,"What's our next move?"

"We scan for that fog. Find it. We're moving the Doctor." Aqualads voice rose.

---- 

The team had moved Doctor Roquette and they were all now on high alert. Kaldur and Miss Martian stood outside on perimeter, and Artemis and Kid Flash stayed inside to protect the Doctor.

Artemis really didn't care where she was put, but she would have rather gone one-on-one with Chesire then be stuck with Kid Flash.

He seemed to be having the same thought as they both sent glares to one another.

"Stop it." Aqualads voice said through the link.

"What?!" They yelled in unison.

"I can hear you glaring." Aqualad spoke from outside as he made his way to a new location,"Miss Martian, stay in camouflage mode and make a wide perimeter sweep." He directed, oblivious to the assassin lurking within the trees. Unfortunately, the assassin saw this as their chance, and sent a strong, but sticky, substance towards Aqualad, also yanking him into the tall tree.

The assassin beat him and then flung him out, causing him to crash into a van about thrifty feet away.

The assassin the revealed himself. He wore all black, except for small pieces of fabric over his eyes, which were a dim yellow.

Scanning his enemy, Aqualad stood, ready to attack, but he was unaware of the person jumping from behind him wielding a large hammer like weapon.

"Argh!" Kaldur was knocked out by the unknown attacker. Knowing the coast was clear, Chesire appeared from the shadows as well,"The Martain can appear any second and I'm not keen on evening their odds. We end Roquette, now."

---

As soon as the first attacker jumped into the room, Wally was ready. He quickly reacted by running towards the strange assassin. He threw his foot under the attacker, but he was too slow.

The attacker reacted quicker-- jumping on the wall with ease. He attempted to trip Kid Flash by launching the strong and sticky substance, but Kid Flash dodged and threw the nearest thing at him- a trash can.

Unfortunately, the attacker dodged that too as it clattered to the floor. So, Artemis took this as an opportunity to raise her bow, but soon was distracted as a new criminal appeared behind her.

"Don't stop working." Artemis commanded as she aimed arrows at the assailant, all missing and falling to the ground.

Around all the chaos, Chesire decided to take her chance by opening a small window, and aiming her weapon straight for the Doctor. She pulled the trigger before anything could stop her, but a floating piece of furniture deflected the weapon.

"Martians here! It's now or never!" Chesire yelled causing her allies to advance upon the Doctor.

Her allies allowed for an easy route to the Doctor, so as swiftly as Chesire could, she knocked the Doctor off of her feet, and raised the blade above her head. Though what she wasn't expecting was for the Doctors skin to turn green.

Chesire jumped up,"We've been duped!"

---

"Next targets at Wayne Tech. Facilities," Robin reported to Superboy,"[1] Wayne Tech. Operates a 24 hour workforce. We'll never evacuate the building in time.

Robin sighed, but then a small message appeared on his wrist computer,"It's downloading!" The virus to counter attack the fog had been sent. So, that being said Robin opened the bay doors, ready for when they would land.

"Don't need it!" Superboy yelled as he leaped from the ship.

"Superboy!" Robin called out, but it was too late.

Robin quickly ran to the bay doors only to see Superboy being knocked to the ground by a red bright power beam,"No!"

Robin then decided to shoot his grappling hook, leading him to the ground. He quickly followed the fog leading into Wayne Tech., completely ignoring the security guard.

"What the- hey! You can come in here! Unauthorized entry!" He yelled into his walkie-talkie. His only way into the building was now being closed off by large steel bars.

Robin stopped running so he could hack into the system, allowing him to pass. Fortunately, it didn't take as long as he first predicted, and soon enough, he was chasing after the fog again.

Then the fog crashed through a window, an Robin for one, was not going to follow it out of window. He then decided that the best way to override it would be to find a computer of some sort, so we ran into the first room he saw. Which also so happened to be the cafeteria.

A young woman stood at the cash register,"What's going on? What are you doing?"

Robin ignored her and hooked his wrist computer to the small machine there,"Please be linked to the mainframe...."

Robin could feel little pieces of the ceiling falling from above his head. He had to do this quickly or everyone within the building, including himself, would die. As well as the fact that all of the precious information collected from Wayne Tech. would be stolen.

So, Robin typed as fast as he could, and he let out a airy laugh as the virus kicked in.

"The infiltrators have been outfiltrated!" He laughed to himself as the fog began to diminish. He actually did it. Yeah, the team did it too, but he was actually apart of something good...

---

"What do you mean 'I can't leave'?" Robin practically yelled at the Dark Knight,"You said I could go back after this one mission!"

"I never said that."

Robin groaned as he once again found himself within the small interrogation room- handcuffs and all.

"I helped the team!"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that I can trust you. I know nothing about you."

"This isn't right! You can't do this!"

Batman sent him a look saying too-bad as a small beeping was heard. Batman put his finger up to his ear.

"Batman here." He paused for a moment as he listened to the other end,"I'll be there right away." He then turned to Robin and said with a glare,"Don't do anything stupid." He then exited the room.

Robin waited a full five minutes, he counted and everything, until he reached for the small lock pick in his glove and proceeded by undoing his cuffs.

"That was so easy." He chuckled at Batmans ignorance. He should have at least tried to make it hard for him.

He then peered out side the small window in the door making sure that no one was standing guard before he left. And honestly, Robin even found leaving to be easy. Sure, the team probably was exhausted after the day's events, but the still should have been on high alert for him.

Recognize: Guest

Robin smirked as the zeta tube announced his departure. So much for stealthy... But at least he was out.

---

On Gotham streets Robin laughed as he jumped from rooftop to rooftop. He probably should have been worried to run into Batman, but he really didn't care. Plus, Batman was most likely with the league, whatever and whoever that was. So, he had a right to feel care free.

There was also the fact that he was technically free again. Yes, he still had the shock collar on, which was a big no-no, but he had j- something moved in the corner of his eye.

"Batman...?" Robin said in under a whisper.
Calm down, Robin told himself. It was nothing. It had to be.

Still paranoid, he quickly made his way to his small apartment room, careful to make sure that he wasn't being followed.

"See, it really was nothing," He shook his head," It could have even been just a bird."

He then turned to reach for a small snack before bed, but froze. Someone else was in the room with him. He didn't know where or how, but he could just sense them.

"What are you doing here?" He asked shakily.

"Richard.... You have betrayed the Court of Owls."

Dick quickly turned only to find himself being hurled towards the wall as a strong punch was delivered on his face.

A Talon was here. It couldn't be his Uncle, he knew his Uncles voice, but that didn't mean much if this man meant to hurt him.

"Please.... I just-" He groaned at the Talon sent kicks towards him. He doubled over as much as he could, since he already was on the floor.

He then felt a death grip be put on his neck as his body was being lifted. The Talon then grabbed a small blade, stabbing it into Robins stomach. He screamed, but instantly regretted it knowing that he only lessened his air.

Then when Robin though it couldn't get any worse, the Talon grabbed the blade and twisted it inside him. He tried not to scream, but the pain was unbearable. He was forced to scream, causing him to lose more oxygen.

"William always thought he could train you. Turn you to our side. We all knew how stupid he was thinking that. You didn't want to kill. It was obvious."

Robin was losing a lot of air and it was only a matter of time before he would black out. He needed to do something... But he couldn't. He was paralyzed by fear. He couldn't even feel the blade within him at this point.

"I'm supposed to bring you back alike. Direct orders. But you don't deserved to stay alive. You hardly deserve death for your sins."

Robin knew he couldn't do anything and that he was going to die. The black spots in his vision were an obvious sign.

"I'll just say you put up a fight. I had no choice. I'm sure your Uncle wouldn't be too u-"

Robin felt himself being dropped as the room filled with smoke and the sound of punching was heard, but he didn't focus on any of that. He had to focus on getting air back into his lungs.

Pretty soon, he heard the sound of glass shattering. The Talon had retreated out the window, and before him stood Batman.

"Robin, you're hurt."Batman held his hand out,"Let me help you."

Robin shook his head,"You need to get away from me. You saw that guy. There will be more and they will try to hurt you if you help me." Robin found it extremely hard to even stay conscious at this point.

Batman seemed to noticed,"Robin, I can handle that, but that man nearly killed you. I- We can help you. The team, the league. Trust me."

"B-but..." Trust. Something that Robin found very hard. Could he really trust Batman? And with what? His food, possessions, or even life?

"What's your choice?"

"I.... J-just help me p-please."Robin gave in as his body won its battle and his eyes closed, sending him to sleep.

That was so long! I'm exhausted! Y'all should be grateful.  Hehe, just kidding. I love writing these chapter for you guys.

Anyways, here you go, please comment and like. Thanks so much for reading!

[1]- IM SO UPSET THAT I DIDNT GET TO WRITE THE LINE WHERE HE ALMOST SAYS THE BATCAVE.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

whelmed Per kj !!

Fanfiction

374K 10.8K 25
The team has a new mission... Protect Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne from a hunter... And from killing eachother rankings: #1...
172K 6.6K 21
Dick Grayson was fed up with Batman, that's true, but he was also tired, tired of always being treated like a kid, tired of keeping secrets, tired of...
227K 8.1K 37
The Batman, the dark knight of Gotham, a founding member of the Justice League...and after all this time they STILL don't even know his name! In thi...
26.5K 832 26
What happens when the titans meet young justice, but then their leader/ old teammate goes missing and is getting beaten.Will they be able to work tog...