A Love Worthy

By inkzerospace

Ginelle Hayes is orphaned, and after escaping her abusive guardian with a dark secret, she finds herself alon... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty

177K 6.1K 280
By inkzerospace

            Dorian grew apprehensive, a deep gut-wrenching feeling of trepidation settling heavily in his stomach. The hour was late, his room permeating a substantial darkness that corresponded to the lightless soul dwelling within his body.

            He sat before the hearth, his limbs tense and his eyes glazed with the subliminal thoughts engrossing his mind. An empty brandy bottle sat depleted on the table at his side as he stared pensively into the kindled fire.

            They had searched to the perimeter of London without the slightest indication to Ginelle or Pierino’s whereabouts. He was beginning to doubt that Pierino was accountable in Ginelle’s abduction; his mind began to conjure other possibilities.

            Had Ginelle decided to flee because of his treatment towards her? Had Stefan spoke falsely of her affections for him? Had she fled to a nunnery? He remembered the day Lord Edric had attempted to steal her away, had he some involvement in her disappearance?

            All these thoughts and more flowed through his mind and he was jarred suddenly to the present as a gentle rattling sounded at his door. Frowning, he forced himself to his feet and crossed the space to the door and jerked it open.

            Instinctively, he felt a wave of revolt creep up his throat as he jerked around from his unwanted visitor. “I will have to advise my servants that your presence here is no longer welcome.” He sneered, turning his back to the fixed, sapphire gaze eying him creditably.

            “I had hoped you would be pleased to see me, mon amour.” Victoria said, sauntering slowly into the room, her eyes dancing wickedly along the masculine furniture to rest firmly upon the bed.

            “Did I not make it clear the last time, Victoria that you and I are no longer?” Dorian growled, turning to glare at her.

            Victoria tossed her red curls over her shoulder as her red lips peeled away with a grin. “Nonsense.” She said convincingly, “There are no men that cannot resist me, and no woman that can compare.” She crossed the room to the bed and trailed a gloved hand along the blanketed surface. “I have missed you, Dorian.” She turned to peer at him, “And I know you have missed me.”

            He stood before the hearth, his arm resting lightly against the stone above his head as he stared deeply into the crackling flames. “The hour is late, Victoria. I wish for you to leave.”

            Victoria stiffened, having not expected his coldness. She approached him and admired him with a long favorable look. She slipped her arms around his torso, her fingers exploring the rigid lines of muscle beneath his tunic. “Have I disappointed you before, mon amant?” she said silkily, her hands dipping lower over the hard contours of his body to wrap around his manhood.

            Muttering a curse, Dorian seized her hands, his fingers tightening to an almost painful degree as he turn around and glared dangerously down at Victoria. “Enough!” he snarled, “We are done, Victoria. What do you not understand about that?” he shoved her away and she stumbled back, her face turning red with humiliation and anger.

            “How dare you, you detestable wretch!” she hissed with chagrin. “A woman scorned is a dreaded thing, Dorian, you should make note of that and remember it well. I had thought with the little bitch gone you would see just how much of a besotted fool you were-“

            “What did you say?” he hissed ominously.

            Victoria jerked her chin sharply, her eyes flashing like daggers as she said, “That little nymph had you acting like an infatuated youth. I do not like being replaced, especially with some little chit with no curves to please a man!”

            She stiffened as he unexpectedly moved forward, closing the space between them in three angry strides as he grasped her wrist in a bruising manner. “You better pray, Victoria, that you had no part in Ginelle’s disappearance.” He growled with such menace that a shiver of fear raced down her spine. “If you have harmed her in any way, I will personally see your reputation in shambles.”

            Her sapphire eyes narrowed in sudden distaste. “If not for her, you would not treat me so cruelly. You would not make threats on my person so harshly.”

            “She is not at fault for any of this.”

            “What makes her so different?” Victoria snapped.

            He was silent for a moment and than he said, “I love her.” Her blue eyes widened with horrified astonishment, “So I suggest you take what pride you have left remaining and leave my manor for good. If she is harmed in any way possible, I am holding you entirely responsible.”

            Victoria gasped, outraged. “I cannot believe you are choosing her over me!”

            His grip tightened and she winced as he jerked her closer, his blue eyes jutting like blades of ice. “I have no confliction in ending you now.” He snarled maliciously. “I know you did not accomplish this feat on your own, who aided you?”

            She clamped her mouth shut, her sapphire eyes glinting challengingly as he glared violently down at her.

            He shook her roughly, “Tell me!”

            “Nathaniel Sharp.” She disclosed, attempting to pull free of his grasp.

            Dorian stiffened, “Sharp?”

            She grinned, “The man was easily persuaded, having a great deal of dislike for you, and harboring a bit of revenge for having been rejected by your precious Ginelle, he was easily lured into my plans, especially since the man is in a financial crisis. Flash a bit of coin and he was hooked like the imbecile he is.”

            His fingers tightened and her glint of triumphant wavered, “Who else?” he demanded, “What did you to do her?”

            She lifted her chin, suddenly breathless as she struggled lightly against his grip. “I did nothing!” she exclaimed, “I merely devised the scheme and it worked like a charm.”

            “Sharp?” he questioned.

            Victoria smirked, “He handled the girl roughly, shoved her into a carriage.”

            Dorian felt the sudden impulse to smack the savage grin from her face but he restrained, all his anger curling into a nut shell as he struggled with his rising fury. “Was Pierino involved?” he shook her again, enraged by her victorious sneer, “Answer me dammit!”

            “He was the one in the carriage.” She snapped, “How else do you think I got rid of her? I simply handed her back to the man she belonged too! Let go of me, you’re hurting me!” he shoved her away and stalked across the room, his hands destroying every inanimate object that fell into his path.

            His chest rose and fell with untamed fury as his fists curled at his sides. His nostrils flared as he came to a stand-still, his body trembling with concealed rage. “Where did he take her?” he demanded sternly.

            Startled by his reaction, Victoria struggled to maintain her composure, her eyes glancing nervously towards the door. “No questions were asked. I simply wanted her gone; he was the man for the task.”

            Dorian pivoted to glare at her, “If that man hurts her in any way, I will personally rip out your vindictive heart.” He growled the threat through clenched teeth, his voice hardening with inevitable confirmation. “Get the hell out of my house.”

**********

            It was nearly dawn and Dorian continuously paced the floor of his room, his steps taking him from the hearth to the window, from the window to the chair as he sorted through the information he had received. He was racked with uncertainty and concern, his mind struggling to make sense of Pierino’s intentions. Ginelle had revealed very little of the man aside from his abusive and violent manner. The thought nearly unraveled him, his gut twisting mercifully.

            Just as the first streaks of sunlight painted the break of day, a sudden recognition came to him. Who exactly was Lord Edric? Since all that had occurred, he had not given much thought to the man or attempted to unveil the mystery surrounding him.

            Had they been searching London for the wrong man all this time? Pierino left no trail, no evidence that could lead him to Ginelle but what of the other man? He had warned them once of Pierino. Was he somehow connected in all this? Did he have vital information that could lead him to Ginelle? With that last thought in mind, he gathered his cloak and left the room. He needed to find Lord Edric and fast.

            Tracking the whereabouts of a Lord Edric with no last name to speak of proved more difficult than he expected. Today, the cobblestone streets were less crowded, the icy weather a great discomfort to the London inhabitants.

            Dorian questioned every individual he crossed but gained nothing on a Lord Edric. Ginelle had told him once that Lord Edric possibly had family that resided in London, but without a surname, it would be impossible to track him. He had attended the banquet so was it possible Edmund would have records of that night, of all the guests who attended?

            He mounted Lafeu and started in the direction of the Wilkinson estate. On his arrival, Lady Ellison was making her way outside, a maid trailing at her skirts as she started towards a waiting carriage. Once she spotted him, her emerald eyes widened with apprehension.

            “Lord Ashford?” a gloved hand fluttered to her chest, “Pray tell you have found her unharmed?”

            Dorian shook his head as he dismounted and approached the Duchess. “No mademoiselle. I have come to speak with Edmund. Tis urgent.”

            She waved him forward, “Of course, please.” She led him inside, her beautiful face creased with concern.

            He followed her closely as she led him through the hall and towards the grand parlor where Edmund sojourned.

            Edmund lifted his head, startled to see Dorian as he followed Ellison into the room. “Is something amiss?” he asked, rising to his feet to greet his friend.

            “Do you have a list of all the guests who attended the banquet?” he asked urgently.

            Edmund paused a moment as he considered this, “I believe I have yet to discard the list, why?”

            “I am seeking a Lord Edric. The banquet was highly secured which means no one could attend without an invitation, and those who had an invitation were put on the list. I need to see that list.”

            Edmund shook his head, “Even if that were so, there were several guests deemed uninvited who gained admission, it is highly likely that the man you seek is one of them.”

            “I am aware of that, but I am not taking any chances. I need to be certain. This man was of aristocracy. I am positive he would have done things just, instead of barging into an event uninvited.”

            Edmund nodded, “Very well. Give me a moment.” He left the room quietly.

            “Have you learned anything?” Dorian was surprised to see Ellison in the room; her pale face conflicted with grief.

            He hesitated, not wanting to worry the woman further more but he knew that if he told her what he had gained, it might bring a bit of reassurance. “She was abducted.” He said, watching her face carefully, taking note of the shudder that passed through her slender shoulders. “I do not know where this man takes her, but I intend to find out.”

            Tears surfaced to the rim of her emerald, green eyes and she nodded as she turned away, relying heavily on his oath that he find her dear friend.

            Edmund returned moments later, carrying a rolled article of paper. They moved to a table where he unraveled the bundle to its length and there the three of them scanned the list of names.

            Dorian was startled when his eyes caught sight of the name he sought and he mumbled the given name aloud.

            “Lord Edric Collins, Marquis of Northampton.”

                                                                         **********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

860K 61.4K 44
(DARK ROMANCE THRILLER) Millicent Davis hates her life with her uncle and jumps at the chance to work for the famously rich and influential family Mo...
16.5K 738 36
Samantha Beales is a rape victim. Dorian King has an equally disturbing past. Can they heal each other's wounds and find happiness as a strong unity...
806K 17.7K 74
Two families The son of one The daughter of the other One, the dark prince of the world in which they live The other, the queen in a world that is...
50.8K 1K 17
A fifteen year old girl who was abused was told by her goblin uncle figure there was a marriage cobtract bewteen her and a older male who lives in Go...