MELODY (Book 1) ✓

By most_bay

I pledge myself to you, my love, My life is no longer my own, My afterlife is unknown, If I'm fortunate, If I... More

Epigraph
chapter 1 (Fired)
chapter 2 ( Some Hope)
chapter 3 (Stroll In Manhattan)
chapter 4 (The Café)
chapter 5 (Superman)
chapter 6 (First Sight)
chapter 7 (The Shelter)
chapter 8 (Wretch)
Chapter 9 (Investigation)
Chapter 10 (Addiction)
Chapter 11 (Weekend)
Chapter 12 (Books)
chapter 13 ( Sheep Meadow)
Chapter 14 ( Panic)
Chapter 15 (Akram)
Chapter 15 pt.2 (Akram)
chapter 16 (Spitting Cobra)
chapter 18 (Return)
Chapter 19 pt1 (Friendly Dinner)
Chapter 19 pt2 (Friendly Dinner)
chapter 20 (Tuesday)
Chapter 21 (Serpentine Invasion)
chapter 22 (Reward)
Chapter 23 (Getting Ready)
Chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.1
Chapter 24 pt.2 ( The Movies)
chapter 24 (The Movies) pt.3
Chapter 25 (SMS)
Chapter 26 (Red-letter)
Chapter 27 (Heavy Birthday)
Chapter 28 (Threat)
Chapter 29 (Need For A change)
Chapter 30 (Breathing Spell)
chapter 31 (Bad Luck)
Chapter 32 (Hanging By A Thread)
Chapter 33 pt.1 ( The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.2 (The Last Straw)
Chapter 33 pt.3 (The Last Straw)
Thank You Note!
Chapter 34 (Taken)
Chapter 35 (Respite)
Chapter 36 (Distraction)
Chapter 37 (Shopping Trip)
A/N (Reader's Love)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean)
Chapter 38 (Coming Clean) pt.2
Chapter 39 (Confessions)
Chapter 40 (Fears)
Chapter 41 ( The Police )
Interview With Akram!!!
Chapter 42 (Wounded)
Chapter 43 (Phone Call)
Dear Readers 😊
Chapter 44 (Unexpected Visitor)
A/N (Readers Love #2)
Chapter 45 (Chase)
Chapter 46 (At Home)
Chapter 47 (Conclusion)
Bonus Chapter!! *coming soon*
Epilogue (Declaration)
A Christmas Special!!!
*Just Making Sure*
Rewritten version #1

chapter 17 (Without A Trace)

559 135 203
By most_bay

Sunday at work dragged at the speed of a disabled snail.

It was the start of my workdays after the short and eventful weekend. One day off was enough for me considering that work was my perfect distraction from depressing thoughts.

Yesterday, it seemed that something had changed in me. Not that I'd never had a moment of depression since then but, after the toxic encounter with Vivan, my thoughts had opted to drift only into one direction. (No. Not the band) but a new source of comfort I rarely had in my life.

Akram.

Every word, every gesture, every expression, every smile, helped me peel away a shred of the darkness that made me believe the world was against me.

That's why I'd been impatiently anticipating the moment he'd enter through the door since the minute my shift started this morning.

No. It was way before that. Around my bedtime last night. The time when I'd usually stop reading and start crying with my head buried underneath the pillow that worked as a silencer.

Last night, my tears were uncharacteristically reined in. In part because they were already drained out in the park, but then I realized it was the altering effect after meeting him. Akram dominated my thoughts so much that I forgot to pity myself.

Of course I'd take his friendship! Nothing's scary about friendship!

Three o'clock was his standard timing. I had to try to busy myself with anything until then. For example, improving my coffee - making skills. I was still a newbie and I wanted to learn some impressive latte art to convince my employer to keep me. True, Mrs. Charan was a really nice and understanding employer and I had Asha on my side, but one should be prepared for anything that might take place in the future. I mean, I loved working here, but that's not a reason to keep me working here if I wasn't good enough.

Asha taught me this one trick to pour the frothy milk into a heart shape on top of the espresso shot, but as a heavy handed klutz, an intended heart shape could sometimes turn into a blob that looked like a rotten apple.

Nothing ever came easy I must admit. Especially not when you were counting the minutes until something you'd been waiting for happened.

Why can't this clock just skip the time already! It feels like I have been waiting for eternity!

Asha came closer, idling beside me near the coffee machine at the hidden corner of the counter, peeking at the glass door that delivered a new customer every now and then. It was Lunch time, but still early for peak hour so I thought I should rest my feet for a few minutes until another customer showed up.

"It's still early, you know." She teased and winked.

Looking at the digital wall clock, again, I puffed, perching on the uncomfortable barstool. Waiting for three more hours was absolutely depressing so I decided to get this out of my system. At least I would find a way to pass the heavy hours and release some of my frustration.

"Ash... I bumped into Superman yesterday."

I've had it with patience so that was possibly my breaking point.

"Oh. My. Gosh! No way! When? Where?" Asha gawked at my face, bringing her hands up to cover her gaping mouth as she started to hop in place, her beads shaking as usual.

Her long lashes fanned around her wide dark eyes when I shared a briefing on yesterday's encounter with Akram and the lost boy. With a little twist. I only left out the embarrassing details of my public meltdown and made some necessary changes.

Nope. Doesn't count as a lie, does it?

It wasn't typical of me to share much with others. Well, I'd never had anyone close enough to share things with before. but I thought it was better if she knew I'd met Akram in case he showed up and started talking to me. She might think I was intentionally hiding something from her, plus, I'd never want to hurt her when She'd been so kind to me.

Granted, happy-go-lucky Asha wasn't the type who takes offense easily. She'd probably interrogate both of us until we spill our life stories and then some.

On second thought, maybe I needed to tell somebody before I died from the suspense.

The part about offering his friendship made her bounce on the balls of her feet, excited like a child.

"Friendship is a great start, you know." She winked and her wide smile dimpled her babyish round cheeks.

I chuckled awkwardly, turning my head away to check his empty table. "It's not what you think. " I dismissed what she implied with a nervous shake of my head. I'd just assured myself yesterday that friendship was the best case scenario. It wouldn't hurt to be his friend if that's what he wanted. There'd be no expectations. No complications. I was lucky he even noticed me. Even if it was in the most undignified way.

"Come on! He initiated this, didn't he? Guys don't do this unless they cared about you." she said softly, cocking her head to the side with a starry-eyed expression.

"I don't think so. He didn't even know me." I pressed my lips, biting the inside flesh. She supposedly had a crush on him first, so I wasn't sure why was she so excited about this ludicrous thought. Although I knew perfectly well why she made this wrong assumption. It was because of the parts I edited from yesterday's incident that led her to think he was interested in me when he was actually just being a gentleman helping a person in need. Maybe even having pity on me after my public screwup.

"See how good a friend I am? I should be jealous of you but I'm not! I'll even agree to be your maid of honor..." she teased, folding her arms and sticking out her tongue as she shimmied her shoulders.

"Thanks goofy! I'll make sure you wear the ugliest feather hat you've ever seen." I hit her lightly on the shoulder as I felt my face burn. She was a cool friend but sometimes she could be a teensy bit annoying. And this flush on my face made me even more annoyed with her.

She giggled, spun around and strained forward across the counter to take a new order when lunch time customers started popping into the café.

I got off the stool, adjusting my apron and getting ready for countless wrestling matches with the espresso machine, carefully handling the hot steam wand that scalded my skin several times since I'd first worked here.

Minutes ticked by as sluggish as ever throughout lunch hours until the numbers in the clock read 3:00 pm.

Where are you now, Akram?!

3:10.
I started biting the tip of my thumb as I cleaned up the counter around the coffee machine. It should be squeaky clean by now.

He has to come! He promised! Or did he?
.
.
.
.

3:20.
Akram was a no show. I began to feel a stupid heaviness in my chest. Is this how it feels to be stood up?
.
.
.
.

3:30.
Getting fidgety behind the marble surface of the counter, I began to rock my leg anxiously. My eyes darted to check the time every 2 seconds.

"Are you Okay, Melo?"

I jumped once I heard Asha's concerned question.

"Easy, girl!" She trilled, taken aback by my reaction. "Don't worry. He rarely skipped a day. And It's not vacay yet." She tried to reassure me but I was already feeling down. I hated this feeling but I couldn't help it. I was a bit angry with him too. Although it wasn't his fault I was so desperate to see him!
.
.
.
.
4:00.
My head was throbbing with a light headache. Possibly, from over thinking the situation. Why did he say 'see you tomorrow' if he wasn't going to make an appearance? Was it just a phrase that he didn't really mean? He came by every day so why not today when he actually promised to?

Maybe something just came up and he couldn't make it.

Or maybe he didn't even bother to keep his word. It was just casual pleasantries then. He didn't really care. It's possible the friendship thing was only out of politeness.
.
.
.
.

5:45.
My shift was Almost over and I already lost hope to see him. After the anxious long wait It felt like I was having withdrawal symptoms. A combo of exhaustion, vexation and disappointment. My limbs were droopy and my head sagging down. I just wanted to go sulk in my bed even though I was not going to fall asleep any time soon. My guess, It was going to be another very long night.

*****

Hello my dearies

Sorry for the boring chapter. I promise the next one will be better but we should try to be in Melody's shoes sometimes. I was frustrated too :(

Please take a second to..

VOTE♥COMMENT♥SHARE

LOVE YOU

♥♥♥♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 227 53
18 year old Melody Harris's life is not that of a typical young woman,being raised in the foster care system made her grow up fast.Being exposed to t...
1.1K 23 14
"Do you understand that I'm just like you, Mina?" I envy those who are loved. And Dae has it all, the love, the support, everything... There are no...
864 18 26
WARNING: MENTION OF MURDER, SEX, MATURE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, CRIME, CHEATING, TALK OF SELF HARM, UNDERAGE DRINKING AND DRUG ABUSE. TROPES: FRIENDS TO...
1.7K 182 20
Death, the truth everyone tries to ran from. So small but with a big impact. First her father then her mother. Lost and still hurting after all those...