Hidden [h.s]

By peahchels

Rose does not like Harry. And Harry does not like Rose. But perhaps the threat of a ruthless brain and a shad... More

PROLOGUE (EDITED)
ONE (EDITED)
TWO (EDITED)
THREE (EDITED)
FOUR (EDITED)
FIVE (EDITED)
SIX (EDITED)
SEVEN (EDITED)
EIGHT (EDITED)
NINE (EDITED)
TEN (EDITED)
ELEVEN (EDITED)
TWELVE (EDITED)
THIRTEEN (EDITED)
FOURTEEN (EDITED)
FIFTEEN (EDITED)
SIXTEEN (FIFTEEN)
SEVENTEEN (EDITED)
EIGHTEEN (EDITED)
NINETEEN (EDITED)
TWENTY (EDITED)
TWENTY-ONE (EDITED)
TWENTY- THREE (EDITED)
TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)
TWENTY-FIVE (EDITED)
TWENTY-SIX (EDITED)
TWENTY- SEVEN (EDITED)
TWENTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
TWENTY-NINE (EDITED)
THIRTY (EDITED)
THIRTY ONE (EDITED)
THIRTY-TWO (EDITED)
THIRTY-THREE (EDITED)
THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)
THIRTY-FIVE (EDITED)
THIRTY-SIX (EDITED)
THIRTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
THIRTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
THIRTY-NINE (EDITED)
FORTY (EDITED)
FORTY-ONE (EDITED)
FORTY-TWO (EDITED)
FORTY-THREE (EDITED)
FORTY-FOUR (EDITED)
FORTY-FIVE (EDITED)
FORTY-SIX (EDITED)
FORTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
FORTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
FORTY-NINE (EDITED)
FIFTY (EDITED)
FIFTY-ONE (EDITED)
FIFTY-TWO (EDITED)
FIFTY-THREE (EDITED)
FIFTY-FOUR (EDITED)
FIFTY-FIVE (EDITED)
FIFTY-SIX (EDITED)
FIFTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
FIFTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
FIFTY-NINE (EDITED)
SIXTY (EDITED)
SIXTY-ONE (EDITED)
SIXTY-TWO (EDITED)
SIXTY-THREE (EDITED)
SIXTY-FOUR (EDITED)
SIXTY-FIVE (EDITED)
SIXTY-SIX (EDITED)
SIXTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
SIXTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
SIXTY-NINE (EDITED)
SEVENTY (EDITED)
SEVENTY-ONE (EDITED)
SEVENTY-TWO
SEVENTY-THREE
SEVENTY-FOUR
SEVENTY-FIVE
SEVENTY-SIX
SEVENTY-SEVEN
SEVENTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

TWENTY-TWO (EDITED)

66.4K 2.1K 1.5K
By peahchels

I sit in my living room, eating dinner and watching TV. It's Sunday night, and I haven't talked to Aaron or Harry since Saturday morning. I met Perrie for coffee this morning, and we walked around Pioneer Square in downtown Portland for awhile. I'm glad I have a friend in Perrie.

I need to make amends with Aaron, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to do that. I've tried calling him twice, but I got voicemail both times.

I'm angry with Harry. He was so rude to me yesterday morning, when the night before we were laughing like idiots over tea at three a.m. I like Harry when he's open like that, it makes me want to know him better and possibly become friends. It seems whenever I think he's actually a decent person, he proves that he's nothing but a jerk.

I've been slightly wary going out alone the past couple days, even though I know I shouldn't be. The two guys that stopped me on the street on Friday still haunt me, but my curiosity burns inside of me like a raging wildfire. Who were they? What does Harry have to do with them? Why were they after me? What did Harry mean when he said he was an "accountant"?

I try to escape from the thousands of questions that pester me, but it's useless. I know if I follow Harry after work again, someone will see and I'll get us both in trouble. If only there was an easier way...

I stop chewing my food. Harry found out a lot about me from my file. Maybe if I can get ahold of his file, I can get some answers. Maybe not about the two guys and the numbers, but maybe about his background.

No, that's insane. Am I really that desperate for information I would consider sneaking into Crystal's office for Harry's file?

Apparently so.

The idea sparks inside of me like a firework. Tomorrow at work I need an excuse to go to Crystal's office and look through his file without being caught. How will I be able to do that?

I've never been very stealthy, and I don't break the rules very often. But I know if I don't get answers soon, I'll explode.

I clean my dishes and text Aaron, asking if he wants to come over. I know he probably won't text back, but I decide that I don't care. If he doesn't want to try to fix this relationship, then so be it.

Surprisingly, I get a text back telling me he'll be here in ten minutes. I quickly buzz around the apartment, cleaning and organizing it. I can't say I'm not nervous. What if Aaron dumps me?

I shouldn't care if he dumps me. And yet, somehow I do.

There's a knock at the door and I swing it open. Aaron shakes rain from his hair and walks inside, sticking his hands into his pockets.

"It's brutal out there," He comments.

I nod as he takes off his jacket, draping it over the couch.

"Can I get you something?" I ask. "Water? Coffee?"

"No, it's fine."

I nod and lean against the back of the couch.

"So..." He starts.

"I'm really sorry," I rush out. "I don't know what came over me and I don't want this to be the end of us."

Aaron sighs and looks out the window. We've never really fought before; this is new to both of us. We're used to everything going smoothly-up until recently, anyway.

"I don't want it to be the end, either," He says and I breathe a sigh of relief. "I guess I was just shocked I found you at Harry's place when you said you hated him."

"I do," I say, trying to convince myself, too. "He was just doing me a favor."

Aaron nods. "All right," He says and I wrap my arms around him, nuzzling my face into his chest. I'm so glad we didn't part ways. Even if Aaron and I have our differences, he gives me a sense of security that I like.

"I just...Aaron, I think you need to think more of me," I say, looking up at him. "I don't think you care about me as much as I care about you."

"I'm sorry, you're right, Rose," He says, nodding.

"Can you pick me up from work tomorrow?" I ask him. I know I must seem like an idiot for asking him, but I should give him a chance to redeem himself, at least.

"Yes," He says. "I promise."

Aaron kisses me and tells me he has to run, he's on call. I try not to appear disappointed as I bid him goodbye. He has an important job to attend to, and I shouldn't complain.

I sit back on the couch. I pay little attention to the TV as I mull over my thoughts. Am I really going to try to get to Harry's file tomorrow? The thought sends excitement and fear through me. Will I be able to do it? Should I?

I go to sleep with traces of Harry's laugh lingering in my mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228K 6.4K 50
✔️ COMPLETE ✔️ Meg's someone who finds her past dark as the pits of hell. Something she's not proud of. Something she regrets. Who knew one thing you...
24.6K 841 59
Lily's life was as perfect as it could be until she lost her parents. She had nowhere to go and no one to share her feelings with. At this time, she...
374K 11.8K 40
|mature content| In the shadows lurk beasts that mankind are completely oblivious to. They blend in with society so it's almost undetected. But when...
166 4 11
Dani is spun into a whirlwind of lies, confusion, and losing trust to the one person she loves the most in this world. What will happen when she find...