The Master Finale | manxman |...

By JosslynWho

Book Four of The Master Collection Master Jasper has been with his wife Darcy for a decade now, and although... More

Welcome to 'The Master Finale'
Prologue
I - Renewed Conflict
III - The Aspirations of a Chaotic Mind
IV - Whispers in the Night
V - Bloody Demands
VI - Love Again, my Love
VII - For the First Time
VIII - Never Let Me Go
IX - Shameless
X - The Man Named Broderick Thorne
XI - Remember This Face
XII - Rosebuds
XIII - From One to Another
XIV - Broadening the Family
XV - Namesake
XVI - The Will of a Father
XVII - Heart of my Heart
XVIII - No More Fears, No More Tears
XIX - It All Comes Back Around
XX - Mad Love
XXI - Roses
Epilogue
MASTER COLLECTION NEWS!

II - Not Yet Rosebuds

6.7K 332 32
By JosslynWho

It was morning when Jasper heard his bedroom door creak open. He'd been awake for an hour now, having lain there beneath the covers without effort to rise. He was dressed in a pale blue nightshirt with a lace collar, and his long blond hair was like a bright yellow arrangement in the dullness of his surroundings. Footsteps entered the bedding area of the chamber, and when his eyes watched for who would appear through the towering archway, he saw Alexander cross the floor towards the first vast window that reached up towards the high ceiling.

The young man was dressed in a clean black uniform, the tailcoat reaching the back of his knees, and he took hold of the silver rope keeping the curtains over the windows closed. He pulled it apart and opened the first one to allow the morning light to bathe the bedroom chamber, opening the second one before turning towards the bed where Jasper lay. "Oh, my lord," Alexander acknowledged, "I did not see you were awake. Good morning."

Taking the benevolence of the new butler with a mere nod, Jasper sat up from under his coverings. It was a strange feeling to have other people in his home after having closed off his doors to many others for ten years, but the additional servers would have to do for a time. "Good morning to you," Jasper said.

"I will get your bath ready, my lord, and set your dressings out for the day. Mister Bunnin' has just started on breakfast in the kitchen, and it will be served when he is done."

"Thank you," Jasper said, "Ready the bath and I will gather my own clothes."

Without questioning, Alexander left the room once more and in he and a handful of others entered with heated water. When the task of filling the white tub was finished and essentials were set out: drying and washcloths, soaps, perfumes, and anything else Jasper may need, Alexander lastly bowed his head and left right away.

Jasper stood out of bed and unbuttoned his blue nightshirt, leaving it in a gents chair nearest to the window and went for the bathroom. His body was still slender, though not as small as he used to be in his teenage years. His shoulders had more width, and although he hadn't a single touch of muscle to him, his figure appeared healthy and slim. Beautiful.

Closing the bathroom door behind him, Jasper stepped onto the small platform and into the warm tub, the water relaxing his arms and legs, and then he sat back comfortably. He gazed up at the ceiling, daylight filtering in through the three prairie windows with half circles atop them.

Thoughts of his father entered his mind from last night, and he still couldn't believe the man had the nerve to demand anything from him. The mere idea of Ronald wanting a child produced between him and Darcy disgusted him. How on earth could a man, who held no hand in loving or raising his firstborn child, feel so entitled to a grandchild from the same one? Ronald was ridiculous and Jasper had no intentions of giving the man what he wanted. To think of him and Darcy resorting to actual intimacy churned his stomach. The fair Lady was his wife and his friend, but certainly not his lover.

Given his father had left the other night, and wouldn't be back hopefully until a much later date, Jasper tried to put the whole thing behind him. There were other things he had to focus on today, like the trip to the city he and Darcy would be taking, with Juliette by their side of course, and the dinner he had to plan for the evening.

Timothy would be joining them. If the man kept his word and showed up to begin with, that is.

For a moment he wondered what the man was doing now. If he really did spend most of his time inside the secret Reynolds Parlor, then he was likely either half-drunk or coming out of a late night of intoxication. He didn't know much of anything about Timothy, aside from the fact that he too had experienced the great loss of a loved one, and he made a living murdering people he was hired to kill.

Jasper pondered on how many lives Timothy could have taken in his thirty plus years on the earth. Ten, one hundred, two hundred? He already looked like the kind of man who didn't take much consideration into others, and the sour mood he seemed to always be in, made Jasper think he hadn't much of a stable mind. Then again, Timothy was always so calm and spoke properly. Aside from the heaviness in his jade green eyes, if Jasper had laid eyes upon the man without knowing a single thing about him, he wouldn't have considered him to be a common man. There was a particular aura that surrounded Timothy that spoke of another side, but Jasper couldn't be sure. Besides, Jasper himself was once viewed as common during his early years as a small lad, when in reality he was a nobleman. Could there be a possibility that Timothy was born of noble blood and then lost it all at some point?

For several minutes, Jasper remained in the tub, rinsing finely scented soaps over his pale skin, and then washed his hair. When he was done, he stepped out of the water and dabbed the wetness from his body, and dried his hair to the best he could. After scrubbing his teeth and freshening his mouth with mint pieces, he entered back into his chamber area. The front half of the room resembled a quaint living space with a few armchairs and a high-backed white and olive green designed sofa. He kept his favorite books up here rather than in the library, and there were empty vases propped up on stands that bore a resemblance to Roman columns.

Without a cloth to cover him, he ventured into the second half of the chamber where his wardrobes stood against the left wall. Taking out his dressings for the day, he took a burgundy outfit from inside and placed it on his bed. Bracing on his lengthy black socks that buckled up around his thighs, he adorned burgundy trousers that hugged just below his knees. When they were buttoned, he slid into a white ruffled blouse and a light gray vest. Once a big red and black bow was tied properly around his collar, he pulled on a burgundy long coat that was shorter in the front and lengthier in the rear. His blond mane was dried by the time he finished dressing, and lastly he stepped into black and tan saddle shoes.

He left his chamber then and entered into the hall. There was a woman carrying two tall curvy vases under her arms, one of the new housekeepers doing a job that Juliette usually took pleasure in; applying flower arrangements about the manor. "Good morning, my lord," she nodded with a curtsy, and when Jasper acknowledged her, she continued on.

The Master descended the left curve of the twin staircase leading to the first floor, able to smell the fresh breakfast being prepared. When he entered the dining room, Darcy and Juliette were already inside. The two Ladies were dressed splendidly in their nice gowns, Darcy suiting a rose gold attire that fit her perfectly, and her sleek black hair had a white band behind the part of her bangs. Juliette, who was beside her lover, wore a green tea colored dress with long sleeves and a black ribbon tied loosely around her neck, brunette hair twisted back into a braided bun. While they were side by side having a lively conversation about the party the other night, the two lovely women smiled towards Jasper when he found his own seat across from them at the long table. "Hello, dear," Darcy said, "You look wonderful! Perchance you are dressed this nicely for a reason?"

Jasper knitted his fine brow, "Why ever would you suspect that?"

"A little someone by the name of Timothy informed me that you invited him to dine with us this evening. Pardon, but I am rather excited for the idea of you spending time with someone."

"It is not as though we will be alone," Jasper said, sensing why Darcy was so intrigued. Three years ago she began speaking of Jasper getting involved with someone in hopes of bringing him out of his preferred isolation, but the Master was never too fond of the topic. Besides, what man could simply walk out the door in search of the affections of another man? That is not how it worked these days. Not that Jasper wanted to hand over his love to any other person. The one he wanted was long gone.

"I only wished to invite him to show my gratitude," Jasper proclaimed.

"Admit it, though, dear Jasper. Mr. Creel was quite handsome, was he not?"

Thankful when a handful of their caterers stepped into the dining room with trays of food, Jasper attempted to rid his mind of the simple notions of Timothy being attractive. His plate was filled with egg and ham, freshly made tea on the side, but he focused mainly on his favorite dish of jammed bread and fruits to go with it. He busied himself with his tea before all the caterers were gone, and the moment they were alone again, Darcy said, "Despite my personal judgment, I find Timothy to be quite agreeable. A bit cold on the outside, I will admit, but I also know another who appears as such. You, dear Jasper, are pleasantly warm when you open up the gates."

"And these gates you speak of, Darcy, are sure to remain closed. I understand your positive intent, but there is no one who could come before — before my Elijah. Even after so long, I can't."

"Forgive me," Darcy expressed her regret. "I only care for your welfare."

"This, I know."

"On another note, Jasper, do you know when your father will return to the manor with his insistence?"

Chewing down a strawberry, the Master shook his head, swallowing before he spoke. "I do not," he said, "However, even if his arrival is either sudden or dawdling, the outcome of his visit will settle nothing. We will do as you suggested before. If it is known that you are barren, then there should be no reason for him to prolong his demand."

Darcy raised her small cup of tea to her lips, sipping back, and then set it down beside her half empty plate. "My fear is that he will not fall for it, or he will not put up with the thought of my inability to bear a child. There have been cases before where a father has made his son remarry, and I would not mark Ronald as a man who wouldn't consider such."

"My father has no say over me, Darcy," the Master declared. "Yes, I am his son. Yes, I come from his blood, yet that is all there is. If you and I hadn't met back when we were younger, I could not see myself bound to a marriage with another. I only satisfied my father's desire for me to take a wife, because it was beneficial to us. Even if I hadn't married, all the inheritance would have passed directly to me. I've already inherited everything from my mother's side given my grandfather made sure I was the sole receiver, and everything my father and his father ever earn, all of the combined £110,000 fortune would have been mine. It will be mine. My father can go on and on all he wants about how hard he is working to maintain the wealth, but truth be told, we are Gentlemen and the inheritance of our grandfathers is what keeps us so affluent. No matter what, he can't take that from me. Grandchild or not."

Darcy admired Jasper's resilient confidence, always so strongly spoken, and she and Juliette took comfort in his words. "Alright then," she smiled. "Let us not worry for it any longer."

"I stopped worrying the moment my father left," Jasper smirked.

They all finished up their breakfast at the table, and when the caterers from before came to take the empty plates away, Jasper ordered to have a coach ready for them to depart into the city.

After measuring the length and width of the portrait of Elijah, Jasper was approached by a servant dressed crisply in his butler's uniform. He was young in years, not yet twenty and had short maintained black hair, blue eyes under a broadened brow, and a stoic demeanor. "Will you require a footman, my lord?" he asked, his head lowered, and he spoke as if looking into Jasper's eyes was a crime.

Jasper was about to refuse the offer, but he wasn't sure of just how much Darcy would purchase from the crafts shop she wanted to venture into. So, he said, "Yes, you will ride atop the coach when we travel, and stay with the Ladies as they shop. Understood?"

"Yes, my lord."

Once the coach was ready for them, Jasper and the Ladies entered into the rear, taking their seats while the driver up top headed into Banemount. It was a lovely day as there was not one cloud to be seen in the sky, the bright yellow sun overhead bathing the land in heat, but it was not an uncomfortable weather, for there was just the right amount of breeze to see that the temperature was even.

"Let us make an oath," Darcy said, patting her husband's knee. He'd been so lost in his gaze out the window that he hadn't heard much of her and Juliette's previous conversation, "to host no more parties under our roof. At least, none with an unnecessary amount of people. I will admit seeing my parents, and catching up with a few people I was once accustomed to, was nice, but there were just so many hungry men after my lovely Juliette." Darcy giggled then and sat back on the bench. She took the other woman's hand in hers and turned it over in her palm. "Then again, who could certainly blame them? You looked gorgeous the other night, so much that I could have stolen you away to have you all to myself."

Juliette's cheeks blushed a dashing pink, and she shook her head, always so familiar to the constant, every day flirtation Darcy expressed to her. She wasn't a woman of many words, especially when other people were around, but she was always most open when it was Darcy who spoke to her. "Then it is a good thing," she said, "that you do have me all to yourself."

"And do not fret over any more parties," Jasper added. "I much prefer our home without unwanted guests, and though I did rather surprisingly enjoy seeing my sister and young niece, I could do without the many other faces."

"How was Beatrice?" Darcy asked, "I was so occupied with my parents that I hadn't the opportunity to speak with her."

"She is quite well," Jasper said. "Mentioned to me that our father and Scarlett were not too pleased when she gave birth to little Talia, especially since she and her fiancé aren't yet married, but she fares well and — oh, that is right, she invited us to her wedding. I will have to write her to find out the date it is being held. I must not have heard her mention it."

"Too occupied in your devious plot, I see," Darcy said with a perceptive hum to her voice, and when Jasper raised a knowing brow with a shrug, she laughed at his nonchalant attitude.

The trio arrived in the city after a while and their first destination was a crafting shop that sold all the things Lady Darcy was in search of. Paper, paints, brushes and any other drawing materials she could want. While Darcy, Juliette, and their accompanied footman went ahead inside, Jasper went and ventured across the boulevard. Just transverse to the crafting shop was a bookstore run by a man and his wife who knew Jasper well. He was their most common customer. It wasn't that large of a place, but the amount of books carried inside exceeded the space necessary to hold them all. Every shelf was filled in tightly with stories of all kinds, and there were stacks taller than the Master that nearly reached the ceiling. With narrow walkways, the reduced mobile space was all the bookkeepers could do to make sure their merchandise had a home. And Jasper absolutely loved the place nearly as much as he loved his own library back at the manor.

When he entered the bookstore, a chiming bell rang to announce his presence and an elderly man with thin, low glasses at the tip of his nose sprang up from behind the front counter. He was slouched from the curve on his back, and wore high brown trousers and a white shirt with braces clipped over his shoulders. "Aye, Earl Lancechester," he greeted happily. "What a pleasantry it is to see you return."

"Good afternoon, Mr. Hinckley."

"Back again to collect a novel, I'm sure?"

"Yes," the Master strolled passed the front counter, "I'm afraid I have run out of books at home. Have you received anything new that you would consider I may like?"

The old man stroked his chin in thought, "Apologies, my lord, I can't think of anything at the moment. Why don't you have a look around? I'm sure you will find something interesting as you always do."

Continuing on down the tight walkway, Jasper enjoyed the smell of the books bordering him on either side, the aged paper sending out an aroma that he has been fond of since he was young. After stopping by the theater section to pick up a newer copy of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Othello, he went further towards the titles in the fiction section. Coming across most writings he was familiar with, Jasper did his best to pluck a book from the middle of a soaring stack without causing it to fall over. It was titled Windsor Castle and was written by a man named William Harrison Ainsworth. When Jasper read the short description on the inside of the hard, dark red leather cover, he tucked it in his arm along with the other two theatrical writings. Knowing he would finish the books rather quickly, Jasper also snatched up another novel called The Mysteries of Paris by Eugéne Sue. With all the leather-bounds stacked on top of one another, Jasper made his way to the front of the bookstore and set them down.

"Good choices, my lord," Mr. Hinckley said, accepting the money handed over from the small velvet purse Jasper had in his pocket. "I do hope to see you return soon. Oh, and I would like to say congratulations on another year. I heard it was your birthday that just passed."

"Thank you," Jasper nodded. "Have a good day, Mr. Hinckley."

"Will do, my lord."

Stepping out of the bookstore with his purchases cradled in his arm, Jasper squinted his eyes beneath the sun and looked through the windows of the crafting shop across the way. Darcy and Juliette were still inside, appearing to merely be giggling over secrets rather than looking for the items they required. Making sure the boulevard was clear before stepping into it, Jasper walked to the other side. When he made to enter the shop, he stopped when he caught sight of a known face appearing out of a backstreet a couple buildings down.

Timothy Creel was dressed today in black trousers, a navy blue pleated dress shirt with a dark vest buttoned over it. A silk puff tie was tucked at the collar, and he wore black lace up boots as well. His curly hair also settled beneath a tricorn hat while wearing an unbuttoned coat. The man turned in Jasper's direction, and froze the moment he looked up and their eyes met. He nearly seemed as though he might turn on his heel and venture back into the alley, but instead headed to Jasper down the solid pathway along the buildings. "I did not think to find you in the city," Timothy said, and then he looked down to the books in the Master's arm. "You do not think you have enough?"

Jasper found the comment rather humorous and shook his head, "I could fill my entire manor from the cellar to the chambers in the attic, and still I would consider I need more books."

"I see. Will you be heading home now? I was just leaving the parlor for a nicer suit."

"No," Jasper shook his head, "I still need a frame for my portrait. You do not have to purchase an entire suit just to look presentable at dinner. You look just fine the way you are now."

Timothy looked off to the side of Jasper, and then he offered a nod in understanding. "Alright, then," he said. "Now I will need to occupy my time until five o' clock. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the city."

When Timothy turned abruptly to leave the Master, Jasper took a step after him, "I could use some help," he called after the man, and when Timothy stopped to meet his eyes again, the Master went on. "I am not too strong of a man, and would have much difficulty carrying such a large mahogany frame. I would appreciate your assistance if you are not needed elsewhere. Your help would be much appreciated. If you do not wish to, I will understand."

"Do you not have a footman?" Timothy asked.

"I had him stay with the Ladies while they shopped."

A bit undecided for a moment, Timothy then gave a nod and stepped alongside Jasper. "It would be a pleasure to help."

In the company of each other, Jasper and Timothy started down the pathway together, heading now for a workshop that produced household items made entirely of wood; picture frames of all sizes, intricately carved figures, and smaller furnishings. "May I ask how you have fared since last night?" Jasper inquired, walking casually with the man as other citizens of Banemount went about their business.

"All was as usual," Timothy offered, his heavy boots knocking against the concrete beneath them. "My life for the past several years has felt like a routine, and the only thing that feels to have brought me out of it for a moment, is this coming dinner with you and the Ladies."

Jasper made a noise that sounded like an amused huff, "You're welcome," he said. "Darcy is glad that you agreed to dine with us. She enjoys having guests. Not in swarms, but one or two here and there. She will likely talk your ears off all night."

Timothy looked around them before speaking, and then said, "You and she, your marriage is indeed a false one to hide true relations?"

The Master nodded, "We planned it long ago, and it has suited us well for quite some time."

They entered the workshop a minute later, bringing their conversation to a halt. Timothy followed Jasper around the large space, walking through aisles of fine woodwork until Jasper came across a frame just the right size and appearance to hold the portrait of Elijah high in his library. It was smooth on all edges and at the innermost lining was a braided design that ran along the entire inside. After paying the shopkeeper for the item, Timothy went ahead and took it carefully with them back to where the coach was parked at the craftsman shop.

Darcy and Juliette were just coming out, the footman following at a distance behind them with their purchases in his arms, and when Darcy laid eyes on the pair coming up the path, she and her lover met each other's eyes and giggled wittily. "Oh, Timothy, my good man," Darcy said, "Thank you for finding dear Jasper. I was afraid he was lost in the city."

Seeing through her words, Jasper said, "No need to worry, my Lady, I do not believe I could lose myself in a place we have lived for a decade."

"You would be surprised," Darcy smiled brightly, and then she turned her attention back to Timothy. "Were you coming to the manor with us early?" she asked. "Please say you will? Jasper and I would love to have you before the scheduled time. We could have afternoon tea once we return, and tell stories over warm cups and coconut macaroons. Juliette's recipe is one to appreciate."

Timothy didn't seem to know how to answer, but when he glanced at the blond Master standing to his left, he received a shrug as if Jasper encouraged him to go along with Darcy's pleadings. "I would like that," he said.

"Splendid, splendid," Darcy said favorably. "Juliette will have to teach the new cook how to make the macaroons once we get home. Come along, everyone."

Piling into the coach after the footman fixed everything but Jasper's books in the storage up top, they were all on their way to the manor. As Darcy went on and on about how wonderful it was to have Timothy with them for the remainder of the day, Jasper just knew the evening in store would be an interesting one indeed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.8K 2.4K 44
*SEQUEL TO ONE HOT SUMMER* ROMANCE **The sudden action of Jasper getting to standing, caused the bench to make a painful scraping sound against the f...
431K 20.9K 29
BOYS' LOVE- second book to Strangely Comforting Jasper and Xander have finally made their relationship official. ...Only to each other. Jasper's best...
King's Guard By kara

General Fiction

2.9M 116K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...
232K 8.7K 7
His Cowboy Temptation [ManxMan] When Maximilian Sterling returns to his family ranch after eight years of absence he can't wait to get back to the ci...