Being Shot

By melditty

The awkward, intelligent, and bespectacled Emma Leighs never expected to be shot on the very first day of her... More

P h o t o #1 - A Photograph To Start It All
P h o t o #2 - One Shattered Camera Coming Up
P h o t o #3 - Monachopsis At Its Finest
P h o t o #4 - An Explosion Of Creativity. Literally.
P h o t o #5 - Emma The Sheep
P h o t o #6 - Unexpected Encounters
P h o t o #7 - An Abundance Of Appollos
P h o t o #8 - Food Always Finds The Floors
P h o t o #9 - Black Cotton Coat
P h o t o #10 - Stage Curtains
P h o t o #11 - Bouquet Of Clumsy Words
P h o t o #12 - The Boldness Of A Nervous Girl
P h o t o #13 - Salty Sea Air
P h o t o #14 - Hypocritical Thinking
P h o t o #15 - A Devil And A Heartbeat
P h o t o #16 - Ignorance Within Oneself
P h o t o #17 - Chest Pressure
P h o t o #18 - Pictures Of A Forgotten Past
P h o t o #19 - Change
P h o t o #20 - Eyes Like Blue Ice
P h o t o #21 - Kayla Appollo
P h o t o #22 - Rusty Red Swings
P h o t o #23 - Gray Clouds Bumping In The Night
P h o t o #24 - Muddy Denim Jeans
P h o t o #25 - Pink And Blue Pills
P h o t o #26 - A Slightly Frilly Apron
P h o t o #27 - Velvety Cheeks
P h o t o #28 - A Bud Of Selfishness
P h o t o #29 - Captain Connor
P h o t o #30 - Buttercream Frosting
P h o t o #31 - Trust
P h o t o #32 - One Lone Dandelion
P h o t o #33 - Rain Rain, Go Away
P h o t o #34 - Soup And Crackers
P h o t o #35 - This Damn Dopey Grin Of Mine
P h o t o #36 - Giving Thanks
P h o t o #37 - Low Light
P h o t o #38 - The First Snowfall
P h o t o #39 - Hand In Hand
P h o t o #40 - Twinkling Lightly
P h o t o #41 - Behind The Lens
P h o t o #42 - The Walmart Effect
P h o t o #44 - Two Churros
P h o t o #45 - Waterlogged
P h o t o #46 - Ebony Locks
P h o t o #47 - Me
P h o t o #48 - Chocolate Kiss
P h o t o #49 - Delightfully Delightful
P h o t o #50 - Baby Steps
P h o t o #51 - To Think The World Of
P h o t o #52 - Just A Harmless Dance
P h o t o #53 - The Higher The Rise, The Harder The Fall
P h o t o #54 - Relapse
P h o t o #55 - Colorless World
P h o t o #56 - That One Photograph
P h o t o #57 - Desire vs. Duty
P h o t o #58 - Emma and Ellie
P h o t o #59 - Tearing Down My Walls
P h o t o #60 - The Good, The Bad, And The All Too Confusing
P h o t o #61 - Give 'Em Hell
P h o t o #62 - Breaking And Entering
P h o t o #63 - Ashes To Ashes

P h o t o #43 - Endless Possibilities

3.5K 172 29
By melditty

P h o t o #43 - Endless Possibilities

"I truly can't believe you, Kayla Appollo." I drawled, my tone monotonous as I stared at my reflection in her oversized vanity mirror, studying its pink trims and jewels that bedazzled its corners. My eyes observed the many empty or tipped over bottles of lotions and cosmetics scattered across her large desk before me, wondering just what she would need all of these feature altering items for when she was so attractive on her own.

"I can hear the love in your voice, Emma Leighs, and don't you try denying it." She answered back, her plump lips pulled back into a sly smirk as she ran her fingers through my long hair, undoing its many knots acquired from a long day at work.

"Really, you scared the living daylights out of me with all of those texts." I shook my head a bit, but not much do to the large chunk of hair Kayla was continuing to work on, as I recalled the many vague text messages I had received just an hour before calling me over to the Appollo house ASAP, "Why did you call me here again, exactly?"

Kayla's taut lips quickly pulled into a pout, her reflection reminding just how many physical attributes she shared with her younger brother, "Hey, I never said I was hurt or anything, I just said it was a dire emergency and that you should head over to my house pronto, no biggie." She directed an innocent smile my way, which I responded to with a dry look and a puff of hair towards a stray lock of hair that was getting into my vision, "I didn't think you'd take it that way, sorry."

"Usually messages with that kind of content aren't sent unless it's, you know, actually a dire situation though." I responded, still putting on an un-amused facade.

"Y'know," Kayla said, pulling her hands out from my hair and crossing over her chest, pretending to just as in-amused, "You've become really sarcastic lately."

My only retort was a large, goofy smile back at her reflection. Kayla lightly shoved the back of my shoulders, sporting her own grin, "Jeez," She giggled, "I did say I'd do your hair as an apology, Emma. It was a literal disaster when you walked in the door!"

"Blame it on the someone who had me almost speeding to get here."

Kayla threw her arms around my shoulders and leaned her head on top of mine. My hand fell on top of her tan forearm as she stared at me in the mirror with beige doe eyes, "I know, I know. I'm sorry, and thank you for caring about me so much that'd you'd do that." She gave me a tight squeeze and I couldn't stop grinning.

After getting out our girlish giggles and letting Kayla give my hair a pristine French braid after claiming it would be the only thing to tame my hair without giving it a major scrubbing - which undoubtedly made me remember my night with Elliot at the bowling alley all over again - she absentmindedly added, "I know a girl's hair is basically her life and all, but I think you should just chop these unmanageable waves off, Emma. You'd look great with short hair."

The little hairs on the back of my neck prickled at the thought of having short hair again. The last time I had sported such a brash haircut was four years ago, and after the day following Christmas Day of that year, I decided I'd never, ever cut my hair again. I had stayed true to that promise to myself, except for my minor mishap in cooking class the year before when I had to trim the edges I'd accidentally fried. I could only faintly remember the adorable bob cut I wore throughout my early life and well into my middle school years, but I did begin missing how easy it was to take care of.

I shook my head, feeling Kayla's fingers slip from my scalp at the sudden movement, "No...no. I couldn't do that."

Kayla held up her hands in defense as I stared back at her in the mirror, "Alright. Just a suggestion, that's all."

I shot her a lopsided smile, my fingers fiddling with each other in my lap as I scanned her face, knowing thoroughly well that she would have no idea of my reasons, "I know," I responded, "but that you for caring about the mop on my head."

Kayla leaned her elbow atop my head, though gently enough so that it wouldn't upset my hairstyle in anyway, and looked down upon me, "Well, this mop happens to belong to my best friend. How could I not care about it."

My body buzzed with contentment as I took in her sentence. Being called someone's friend, let alone best friend, was something I hadn't heard in such a long time. Even if I'd only known Kayla for a few months, we were as close as ever now. I couldn't describe how happy Kayla made me feel just by giving me one of her signature grins. On top of her being one of the most gorgeous girls I've ever met, her wonderful personality on par with her lovable quirkiness made it seem as though those outer qualities were just the icing on a delicious cake. She was definitely a friend I was proud of.

My cheeks warmed as I relished in this feeling, "You're a great friend." The words rolled off my tongue easily.

Kayla leaned her arms against the back of my chair, her eyes suddenly showing a bit of bitterness that took me aback, "Really? That's the first time a girlfriend has said that to me."

My dark eyes widened in shock as she peaked through her long lashes at my reflection. She went on, "I'm more used to 'attention whore'. Oh, or my personal favorite, 'boyfriend stealer'. Let's just say that the girls in my classes don't really enjoy my company."

My expression hardening at the thought of Kayla having a hard time in college, and the thought of being unable to be there for her made it all the more stoney. I gave her a leveled stare to show that I didn't doubt my next words one bit, "They're definitely jealous of you. It's not your fault people are so take with your vibrant personality, and hey, you aren't half bad looking either."  I shot her a tiny smile to show my sincerity.

Glossy eyes as wide as saucers were her only response before swiveling around and planting a bubbly kiss upon my left temple. I found her thin arms around my shoulders again, but this time the grasp was much stronger, warmer.

"How did I ever get so lucky to have a friend like you, Emma? Where have you been all my life?" She asked.

I remembered the fleeting stories she passed along to me every once in awhile, the ones where, as a child, she was even scorned by her female peers for being such a vivacious soul. I knew that most of her childhood must've been filled with only being able to hang out comfortably with the boys, and this notion probably rang true up until the time she met me.

It made me all the more happy to have met the girl still crushing the wind out of my lungs.

"You still haven't answered my question though," I stated, hoping to cover up the embarrassing excitement that still coursed through my veins like a heavy drug as Kayla's arms slipped away, "why did you call me over here exactly?"

Kayla let out a nervous chuckle as she tucked a ringlet of hair that had escaped her ponytail during her styling behind a ringed ear, "About that..." She dragged out, her diverting eye contact causing me to suddenly raise my guard. Even if I knew how dramatic Kayla could be, it still had me on edge sometimes, "Just hear me out before you say anything, okay?"

I raised a steady eyebrow, bracing myself for what kind of sentence Kayla was concocting. Don't get me wrong, I loved the girl to death - as I've stated earlier - but sometimes she could be extremely eccentric.

"Okay," She raised a hand to her hair and smoothed back a few stray wisps, "I know that look. I'll cut to the chase." Pursing her plump pink lips, she directed her gaze to me, "There are these two guys at my University who throw an annual Christmas party at one of their houses each year. You know, music, snacks, socializing, the usual." She must've noticed the look in my eye as I discovered where she was going with this because she elaborated for me, "It isn't an obnoxious high school party, believe me, I didn't go to those even when I was in high school. These guys know how to throw a good, clean party, light formalities but you have to dress nicely, and they're extremely cool people."

I nodded slowly, beckoning her to continue, "And..?"

Kayla paused, most likely not anticipating that I would have listened without protest this far into her babbling, before clamping her eyes shut and asking the golden question, "Do you want to come with me and the boys tomorrow night to it?"

I should have been upset about it. I should have shot her down without a moment's hesitation. I should have told her she shouldn't have even brought it up in the first place because I was in no way a partier. I should have...and yet, the only feeling simmering in me was faint excitement at the thought of going to my first party that wasn't for a child's birthday. Another sad edition to my life, I know, but I couldn't help but think about the experience, especially if Kayla was willing to attend it.

"I mean, I've felt kind of sorry for the boys lately since they haven't been able to hold or attend any parties, mostly because I've been telling them not to. They sure do enjoy socializing, even Parker, even though he doesn't look like the type." Kayla continued on as she realized I had yet to give her a reaction, "I thought it'd be something we could all enjoy together, so...I may have already confirmed that we'd all be showing up...including our guest..."

My gaze shot open as I bobbed my head downwards, focusing on the curling of my pale fingers within the warmth of my lap. My khaki clad legs shifted in the plush mauve seat I sat in, my memories still holding onto the reaction I had gotten from Kayla when I had first stepped into the empty Appollo household, one that was blanched and frantic as she questioned why any sane person would be okay with letting their employees wear such a color combination. Now I almost felt at home inside these dreary fabric combinations, with my holiday bonus in my pocket and the heat from my skin warming the thin cloth.

"But..." My voice, weak and clearly unsure, spoke up, "I haven't bought Christmas presents yet..."

"Oh, please," Kayla dismissed with the wave of her hand, "I thought we told you over and over again that we weren't getting anyone Christmas gifts here. Too stressful, y'know? So don't worry about it."

I felt a slight cold sweat break out on the back of my neck, my thick ebony braid covering any evidence. I couldn't say that I exactly stayed true to that little promise we all agreed to just about a week ago.

"I just..." I murmured, "I just don't feel right not doing anything for all of you for Christmas. You've all done so much for me, I can't not return the favor."

Kayla spread her arms out wide as she paced behind my chair, a wide grin showing off her pearly teeth, "That's perfect!" She yelped, causing me to flinch back at the force of her shrill voice, "You can make it up to us by coming to the party with us! All will be forgiven!" She paused and considered her wording, "Not that you're in need of begging for our forgiveness since we're not upset with you in anyway way..."

I stayed silent, tuning out Kayla's excessive blubbering behind my back. I began actually considering the possibilities that could unfold at one of my first high school parties ever.

Well, no, I guess since this party was being thrown by a few of Kayla's friends from college it would be considered a college party, which to me was a whole other beast to tame.

So, I released a long, hot breath, one I hadn't realized I was holding as I processed these new feasibilities. I dropped my head downward, letting it loll as my chin rested on my chest.

"You're sure this is the only way I can make it up to all of you this Christmas?"

Kayla bobbed her head up and down as if the swift motion would only convince me further, "Absolutely!" She called, then added, "You'll have fun, Emma, I promise."

"Okay, okay," I completely gave in, unable to suppress the tug upward at the corners of my lips at the sight of Kayla relieved face, "I'll go, but you better make sure that promise is fulfilled."

"Emma," Kayla spoke, her voice light and content, "do you know how wonderful you are?"

A bashful heat rose to my face, my smile stretching, "Yeah, yeah..." I muttered shyly, wondering if I'd ever get used to being regarded in such an affectionate way by a friend.

I could barely contain my jitters. Anxiety filled my gut at the endless possibilities that could unfold at the party I had agreed to attend. Unsurprisingly, my mind immediately jumped to the negatives. What could go wrong. What would happen if I had an episode in front of a bunch of strangers I've never met. What if I ended up embarrassing myself in front of people Kayla and the others considered friends. Or worse, what if I embarrassed them. Even with all of the horrific outcomes surging against the walls of my consciousness as my brain conjured up and played them out behind my eyes, I could only focus on one thing.

I stared at my cocoa colored irises as as they shimmered under the harsh yet flattering white bulbs lining Kayla's mirror. Unbelievably, and this was a revelation that rocked me to my core, I could register the underlying exciting twinkling in my gaze. I couldn't deny the way my heart leapt with exhilaration at the thought of finally seeing a true high school experience. No more antisocial tendencies, no more receding back in fear of my peers. I truly wanted to get along with other around me, and this solid emotion hit me the hardest.

"What...What should I wear...?" I whispered, catching Kayla's attention, which was currently on her closet as she dug and sifted through the many articles of perfectly pressed clothing hung up on individual hangers.

She beamed, "Oh! Definitely that red one I got you for your birthday! You haven't had a chance to really wear it yet, haven't you?"

I shook my head, my long braid slapping the back of my uniform, "Not yet."

Kayla clapped her slender hands together, "Perfect! I even have some necklaces and matching nail polish you can borrow. Now I'm really getting excited!"

I watched thoughtfully as Kayla dug through her closet once more, showing me dresses she just could decide between and asking for my judgement on the two of choices. After going through about a dozen dresses, ones that Kayla took the liberty to describe the exact events that took place while she wore them as I listened intriguingly, her hazelnut eyes drifted towards the Roman numeral golden clock that hung decoratively above her closet. My gaze followed.

"It's getting late," She stated, "and you know what that means."

I raised an eyebrow and smirked playfully, "Sleepover?"

"Glad to know you're catching on, my dear Emma!" Kayla giggled.

I sprung up from my sitting position as Kayla threw a wad of soft, pastel colored clothing my way. "And please, for the love of color combinations, please change out of that uniform."

"Alright," I answered, assessing the oversized baby blue sweatshirt and light pink sweatpants in my grasp, silently wondering if Kayla was trying to dress me up as an oversized tuft of cotton candy as I began pulling my vest over my head, "But I have to call my grandmother first, it is the holiday season aftera-"

The slamming of the large, thick wooden doors of the Appollo residence sounded out within the silent house. I stiffened as the noise dispersed throughout the large area of the building.

Instantly I yanked the warm fabric of my uniform back down, "I thought you said the boys were out for the night." I urgently whispered.

Kayla eyed her closed door, recoiling a bit as she set the two glittering dresses still in her grasp on top of her bedspread, "Yeah...they're supposed to be at Jonas' house tonight...they wouldn't texted me if they were coming back anytime soon..." She took a few sidesteps towards me, looking frantic even if she wished to hide it, "There's...There's no way someone could've gotten in the house. We have an alarm system..."

My mind raced to the moment I arrived at the house, musing about how Kayla should really lock the door to her home after I had burst through it with ease and how she had bashfully commented about the multiple times it had happened before. When I tried to remember if she had locked the door behind me though, due to us getting lost in frantic conversation after calling me here, I drew up a blank, "Haven't you told me over and over again about how many times you've forgotten to type in the passcode to lock up the house, though?" I murmured back, my voice's pitch rising an octave at the very thought.

Kayla's eyes widened, then she briskly swiveled her face my way and gave me a solid, ready nod. She ran, light on her feet so the floorboards under us wouldn't creak, back to her closet and only took a moment to fish around before producing two tennis rackets of admirable size.

"Oh, tennis phase, how I don't miss you." Kayla muttered absentmindedly to herself as she chucked me one. I caught the smooth leather handle with ease.

I scrunched my eyebrows together, "And these are for..?"

Footsteps clipped against the hardwood floor below us, echoing hollowly against the dynamic hallways. Kayla's light eyes darted around the room as she scooted closer to me, "Look, Emma Leighs. I may care more about my manicure than I do about my wellbeing, but that doesn't mean I won't go down without a fight."

I gulped, the serious look on her face setting it and continuing to influence my own rising fear. Though I had been informed of time and time again that this neighborhood was probably one of the most well-rounded in the city, that didn't stop me from understanding tat even the safest places could be infiltrated. Something didn't add up to me though, and that kept me from falling into a full-blown panic attack as I would have during this type of situation. It was strange, but something about the carefully places steps continuing below our feet was oddly striking to me, almost as if I had heard such a precise sound before.

My eyes shifted back to Kayla, who was visibly trembling now as she hid behind me. Feeling a sudden surge of bravery within my frail stance, I began quietly, "Follow behind me."

She gave me a forced nod, clamping her plump lips shut in anticipation as I took my first step forward towards her cracked open door.

We shuffled in an awkwardly huddled bundle across the hallway, sliding our sock cover feet against the smooth dark wood so our footsteps wouldn't be heard. I still felt absolutely ridiculous as we both silently descending down the winding staircase, but I couldn't be sure if my intuition from earlier was absolutely certain.

Another thought struck me as our legs finally landed at the bottom of the stairs. My stare analyzed the living room, 'Shouldn't we, I don't know, call the police if there's an intruder?!'

Just as I was about to quietly voice my brimming concern, Kayla nudged my shoulder blade from behind, forcing me to move along down towards the kitchen, where the shuffling around was prominent. A clattering noise reached our eardrums from inside the other room, a sound mimicking one of a pot or pan rattling as it fell from above.

A muffled gasp sounded out behind me, "You don't think they're after Mom's Williams Sonoma kitchenware set, do you?!" She huffed an angered breath, her eyes set on the slight adjust kitchen door, "Oh hell no. That's her favorite part of the kitchen! She had to literally beg Dad to let her buy that set!"

It was Kayla who took the lead now, her angry, undeniably loud footsteps smacking against the glossy floorboards. I took the role of the submissive partner, our places reversed, as I whispered in a panic to warn her not to make such disruptive noises just in case my instincts were incorrect.

I scurried across the living room and caught up to Kayla, who now peaked through the little opening in the doorway. She turned back to me, determination setting within her irises, "On the count of three." She murmured, and my blood pressure spiked. She must've seen something in there, the glistening sheen of sweat on her forehead was a giveaway, "One. Two,"

Her voice tremored with the iteration of the last number, "Three!"

We simultaneously kicked the cherrywood door wide open, the noise it made as it slammed against the wall next to it was enough to send a shudder through the hallway as we ran into the kitchen.

A high pitched scream rose up my throat as my eyes came into contact with a looming figure at the kitchen island, back towards us, and incredibly, as Kayla had predicted, holding one of the many expensive pots that hung above the the marble kitchen island.

We skidded to a stop, both letting out our own variation of a battle cry (which were just unbearably girly screams) as we raising the rackets into the air.

I clamped my eyes shut as I swung the tennis racket over and over again, my heart hammering in my chest as I wondered if the intruder had a weapon of their own. As the possibility introduced itself to me, my swinging only became increasingly rapid. My racket collided with a solid body, and panic-strickenly continued until the body made itself known.

"Ow, ow! Jesus Christ, what the fu-" an indisputably familiar voice called out in anger, its boom causing me to immediately freeze in my tracks.

I pried my eyes open, noticing Kayla already beginning to shrink back in my peripheral vision as she took in the sight before her. I gradually raising my head once I realized I had lowered it, and the chilling haze-eyed glare sent our way was enough to bring a whole new wave of terror through me.

My mouth formed a thin line, "E...Elliot..."

He stared down upon us, his eyes darkening the rest of his features. It had been awhile since I had seen such an overbearing stare coming from this boy, a gaze that caused my insides to knot themselves up and over one another.

Kayla straightened up by my side, her distraught fingers working tirelessly in order to hide the racket behind her back, "Oh, hey Elliot!" She gave a stiff wave, "What...What are you doing here-"

"I'm sorry!" I yelled out, dropping the racket to my feet as both of my hands worked agitatedly, "I thought something was strange when someone was able to get into the house so easily! It's just that Kayla and I were so freaked out at the thought of there being a burglar or something that we kind of let our fear get the better of us. Plus we didn't even know you'd be coming home, s-so-!" My gestures flailed in all directions before clamping down on Kayla's arm and pulling her towards me, "We're really sorry!!"

Silence ensued, and because of this bittersweet quiet, I finally remembered that it had been almost two weeks since Elliot and I had held eye contact for so long. I watched as his eyes softened for a moment, probably coming to the same realization as me, then quickly send his attention towards Kayla, who was agreeing to my notions. I deflated at his reaction, but the reason for my sudden sadness was unknown to me.

Elliot spoke through gritted teeth to her, "Didn't you get our text?"

Kayla's toffee eyes widened and she fumbled for her phone, which lay in the back pocket of her jeans, making me wonder again of the reason why we didn't call the police if there was an intruder, then making me feel better that we didn't since it was just the boys returning. Her thumb flew wildly atop the slick screen, trying any way it could to turn the device on. Kayla have a shaky laugh that leaned more towards a breathless cough, "I-It's dead...that..would explain a lot..." She gave an unsure smile.

A small, barely audible chuckle from behind us caught my attention. I twirled around immediately, meeting with a trio I knew all too well.

Cooper, Parker, and Jonas all stood in the doorframe, each working with their own way to cover up their laughter. Blistering heat rose up my neck and onto my face, making me feel as if an intense flame licked at my skin and had me wondering just how long they'd been here to witness our poor judgement.

My eyes caught on a particular cloth bag slung over Cooper's shoulder as they all continued their guffawing, "Ah!" I spoke involuntarily, then found myself striding towards the tall boy. I stopped in front of him as my hands worked their way to the bags material, still in disbelief. I looked upwards after confirming that it was definitely the bag I had bought a few years before at a local craft fair, one I always had prepackaged with clothes, a little bag of my pills, and other necessities at the bottom of my closet just in case of emergencies, "Why...why do you have this?"

Cooper quickly drew back from my touch and sputtered, trying to find the right words. My eyebrows arched, noticing that that was another confusing reaction I was getting from yet another boy recently. I tried not to dwell on it too much since I knew I didn't know the first thing about guys, but somehow it worried me. It took everything I had in me not to ask, but luckily I didn't have to force myself too hard due to the large hand that instantly fell onto my shoulder that followed.

"Did you not tell your grandma that you'd be coming over tonight?" Elliot asked behind me, his tone stiff as he seized the bag from Cooper's shoulder and gave it to me.

I eyed his hand against the fabric of my uniform, their warmth accelerated my pulse ever so slightly. His hand slipped from its perch once he realized my stare. I swallowed hard, "I did tell her I was coming over here after work, yes." I recalled sending her a quick text on my way over simply stating that I was heading to Kayla's house and that I'd contact her later so she wouldn't have to worry.

It was Parker who stepped in next, "It wasn't long after that that I got a call from your grandmother," He spoke, and I shuddered as I remembered that they kept in contact with one another, "She told me that you'd be needing that if you were spending the night."

I tried recalling if I ever specified to my grandmother that I'd be spending the night when another voice went on, "We didn't really mind getting it anyways, since my mom was having a meeting with her showy book club tonight she kicked us out of the house for being too loud." Jonas spoke as he rolled his eyes, scratching the back of his head.

"Oh...thank you..." I exclaimed without much enthusiasm as I pieced everything together, trying not to think to hard about the irony of Jonas' mom having a book club. Another thigh struck me as I did so though, and I found myself clutching my bag protectively to my chest, "You...You didn't look inside or anything, did you?!"

I remembered that I hid my little bag of pink and blue pills inside the little zippered area stitched inside the bag, but that never stopped me from worrying.

Wide eyes met mine, and suddenly I had never felt so foolish. Of course they didn't, and even if they did, I knew that they had the right to know about what I've been hiding from them all this time.

'Soon.' I promised myself, making sure that it would be a promise I was definitely keeping, 'I'll tell them everything soon, once the holidays die down and we all have some time together.'

So I shook my head and dismissed my outburst, "No, never mind, sorry. You guys wouldn't do that, I know you wouldn't." I smiled to myself, wondering when I was going to let this panicky behavior subside.

Kayla jumped in beside me, most likely wishing to steer the conversation into another direction, "Well, since you're all already here, why don't we all just hang here tonight?" She addressed the boys before us.

They all equally thought for a moment, pondering her suggestion. It was Parker who voiced his opinion first, "That's sound like a great idea and all, but shouldn't you be changing out of that horrid uniform, Emma?" He cupped his chin with a steady hand as he observed my clothing.

"Yeah," Jonas chimed in next to him, "You look like a stuffy old woman in that vest."

Cooper nodded, contemplating their words now as he gave his own once over to my outfit, one I wore not by choice whatsoever. He seemed to forget the strange attitude he was giving me just moments before, "You're right. Who thought bright blue and beige was a good color combination?"

Even Elliot grunted in agreement behind me as Kayla added, "See! I told you!"

I rose both of my hand up to my scalp in utter incredulity as they all relentlessly critiqued my poor work uniform, unable to take it any longer as I was only able to speak one sentence through their drowning voices.

"Not you guys too!"

***

So, did I scare you guys with the ending of the last chapter? Haha, Happy April Fools, it was just Kayla being overly dramatic, as always! (Even though it's April 9th...sorry for the slight delay, I have state testing all this week, so I apologize in advance if there are any mistakes...)

I hope you enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 26 18
Her brows furrowed. "You look like you have something specific you wanna ask me." The tips of Liam's ears turned red at Emma's very accurate observat...
8.4K 1.6K 70
Being the new girl, officially sucks. Being the new Goth girl, wholeheartedly sucks. Being the new Goth girl, with horrific baggage, truly sucks. At...
814 77 24
It keeps twisting and turning for Sarah school life, especially when it comes to school crushes, parties, and a school play! That was only the beginn...
77K 1.1K 44
Aussie girl, Leila, moves to America. Repeating her senior year brings much more drama than she bargained for. Midway through the first semester, Lei...