The Prophecy of the Fire Phoe...

By ThunderGryphon

Her final destiny was to complete The Prophecy of the Fire Phoenixes. And that was it - no reason to worry ab... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Fleeing Hunterless Woods
Chapter 2: The Lead Role of Vengeance
Chapter 3: The First Warning
Chapter 4: A Raging Devastation Coming Forth
Chapter 5: Ice
Chapter 6: The Phoenixes
Chapter 7: Vision
Chapter 8: The Truth Behind The Legends
Chapter 9: Strikimir's Revenge
Chapter 10: Fire Bird Aspect
Chapter 11: The Ring of Fire
Chapter 12: Talios, The Traitor
Chapter 13: A Sudden Truth Unveiled
Chapter 14: A Surprising Small Ambush
Chapter 15: New Secrets Revealed
Chapter 16: Beyond All Realms
Chapter 18: Sleektalon
Chapter 19: Incident
Chapter 20: Attempts
Chapter 21: The Forbidden Punishment
Chapter 22: Learning of Ice Talons
Chapter 23: Shadow's Dream
Chapter 24: The Warning of Ice
Chapter 25: The Beginning of the Battle
Chapter 26: The Power of Fire Dragons
Chapter 27: The Legendary Vuldrix
Chapter 28: The Hybrid
Chapter 29: The End of the Battle; The Start of Reunions
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 17: Mourners

41 2 4
By ThunderGryphon

    It can be surprising by how refreshing water can be to a Fire Phoenix. Smooth elements swirling blissfully around you, with little tiny fish swimming blindly around. Yeah, she couldn't deny how she felt right now.

    Canyon was bathing in The Falls, an ancient waterfall that was one of the only relics from the time of the Ice Dragon's reign. Glittering diamond-like bubbles floated around, before disappearing and shimmering. The waterfall roared down in a peaceful current, as if it was a hologram. How cool it felt to her feathers after thinking so much about her past. These waters did not extinguish her fire, and that's one of the things that made The Falls so special. It never harmed the good-hearted. But whenever evil is somewhere close, it would turn into an ash that could kill someone in agony. It depended on one's soul for how bad it would be. Evil did want this mysterious, powerful falls for their own benefit, but it never succeeded. Of course, they could not deny in their hearts that they are evil. Some just pure evil.

    Anyway, Talios had introduced to her this pool of water. At first she rejected, then he pushed her in with a wing. From the moment she landed, she just stayed there. Talios laughed, then left to perform some other duty. And Canyon had been here ever since, enjoying it's great texture and warmth, sometimes refreshing cold. That was five hours ago.

    "...Upon the upcoming war, we must find him before the second strike rings," A soft voice suddenly said, then faded into a louder one. Gravel crunching, disintegrating plants. The voice was somewhere out of The Falls, and was coming closer. Canyon quietly floated to the other, dark end of the pool/waterfall, hoping that whoever the voice belonged to wouldn't see her. She couldn't fly, in fear of her splashes being heard. A few seconds later, the hazy image of a phoenix came into view. Now, it was not in her nature to eavesdrop, but she was just so panicked that she just waited in silence. "We're lucky that for now, we have them."

    "Now, now, sire," This was now, questioningly, Flame's voice. "I know that we certainly are, but still, we have to make sure that all units will be approved for."

    "Flame," Said a voice that was more deeper than Flame's. Canyon peered over, and almost gasped at who the other voice was - a Lesser Frigatebird! One of the rare species, one that Canyon thought that she'd never meet in her life. Well, technically speaking, she now got to see one, "we must win the second one. That's why we must find him, the Fire Aura. "

    "Hhmm, you do know how hard it will be, right?" There was a pause as Flame looked over The Fall's pool. "Care for a dip?"

    "Um...no thank you. I'd rather not soil my feathers through these parts of the phoenix realm."

    Flame sighed, then looked behind him. "The only way that I can see it to find him is by tracking her."

    "...Who?"

    "Canyon."

    Canyon gasped as Flame mentioned her name. She tried to stifle it by stuffing her beak into the bush, but the damage was done. Flame's head snapped towards her hiding place. "Who's there?"

    Canyon didn't answer. Silence.

    "I repeat, who's there? Show yourself!" He waited for a moment. "Alright, I'm coming over there."

    The Lesser Frigatebird turned towards Flame. "Sire, I'm not so sure that it's a good idea for you to cross The Falls's Pool."

    Flame didn't listen. He swooped over steadily to Canyon. Her heartbeat raced. If he didn't hear her clearly enough then, he surely must've heard her now. Flame was so close, and just when he was five wing beats away, his tail brushed the surface of the pond. He yelped, lurching upward, away from the pool. He was fast, but not fast enough. His tail sizzled where he touched the pond. He stared wildly at his tail, and in his panic, his primary feathers touched the surface, creating soft ripples. Flame screeched quietly, beating his wings against the stones above, trying to get rid of the acid-like water. His feathers started to crumble into ash.

     "No, no, no, no, NO!" The Frigatebird roared at Flame. "You idiot! We're supposed to be figuring out our problems, not burning our feathers off!"

    Flame hesitated for a moment, then when he heard another sizzle from his wings, resumed to pounding them against the stones.

    The Lesser Frigatebird breathed noisily from his mouth, frustrated. "Oh, come here! Let me get rid of the poison and stop the ash!" He stayed on the edge of the pool, wary of the water.

    Flame flapped unsteadily towards him, his primary feathers almost burnt off. The Frigatebird looked at it, then started to chant.

Acid like poison, start to break

Seethe away, creating day, upending to make

Power hungry, for the feathers, of this phoenix cake!

    Amazingly, the acid started to disappear, and Flame's feathers were mending itself. Flame looked at his new feathers wondrously, then at the Frigatebird thankfully. "Yes. Thank you for the spell. Now, about our conversation...?"

    "Yes...?"

    "Well, I can't believe that I'm clashing against my own side. This is dumb for me to be Fireborn!" Flame paused. "Anyway, let's revise our whole plan, shall we?" He paused.

    "Tomorrow. Meet me back here at exactly two shadows before sundown. The two birds started walking unsteadily away, their voices fading. The Frigatebird sighed. "Lord knows if this will work. So, we first will -" Their voices disappeared as they exited, The Fall's roaring blocking out any sound. Canyon gave a huge sigh of disappointment. Tomorrow, she will be here again, in case they decide to talk more here.

    Questions swirled around her head. What side was Flame on? Who's the Lesser Frigatebird? Why do they need another plan when King Falcon Claws is already executing one? Or is that a plan? What's a Fireborn? And above all, who is on whose side? Canyon was brimming with questions when the sun was starting to set. She flapped out of the water, pacing the stone lining. She didn't know any of this anymore than anybody else would, supposedly. So when it grew dark, and the Lantern Bugs lit the inside of the pool, she went back in. No use poundering it now when she would not get any answers. A soft horn blew across the pool, and Canyon knew that it was time to get out. The stone barrier at the end of the pool opened, and The Fall's water plunged into darkness.

    Canyon soared away, and on her way to her hollow, she noticed how eerily quiet the phoenix realm was. Guards stood on the borders, watching for the Ice Dragons. Phoenixes that usually milled around late into the night stayed, and safely locked themselves in their hollow. Nobody was around, except her. Nobody wanted to risk another life.

    Once Canyon reached her hollow, she carefully put a fire ring around her opening of the hollow for security measures. Not that it would do any good against Water-Xs, no. But it gave her comfort, and that's what she had been robbed of ever since the awakening of the Ice Dragons and the Forbidden. She peacefully fell into a deep sleep, still resting when the sun rose, and still resting when all others were up warming their wings from the sun.

                                                                                                   ~~~

    After her usual practice and meals the next day, she went to The Falls again, waiting there all alone 'till she heard the two voices fading back. She went back to her hiding place, and once again waited there for the whole entire conversation.

    "I love this place," said the Frigatebird, "There's no one here to hear us." Dream on, you fools! "I wonder why the phoenixes don't use this place as often. This is wonderful."

    Flame winced. "Let's not think of what it did to me yesterday." His wings were crumpled at the tips, his tail feathers with ragged holes through them. The spell probably only lasted for a short time. "I'd hate if this evil water did the same thing to you."

    The Frigatebird laughed. "Wow, for once, you actually care about me! What a shame that Sleektalon won't be here to see this." His happy smile immediately turned into a serious frown. "Seriously, though. Sleektalon will come tomorrow to survey," He paused, "and interrogate, them all."

    Canyon cocked her head questioningly. Nobody ever mentioned to her about a new arrival. What else may she discover that she's never heard of before?

    The Frigatebird seemed to sense a presence, and turned around. He narrowed his eyes, and surveyed the area. He stepped closer to the pool, and spread his wings. He was about to lift off when Flame breathed fire out in front of the Frigatebird. "Have you not learned anything about the incident? What if you accidently burn yourself? Don't be foolish, like me."

    "Why, I'm not as clumsy and 'flumsy' as you! I'll make it," He said confidently, but his eyes seemed to be uncertain.

    "Please. Nobody must know your presence here. As long as you're untouched, and unharmed, then they cannot sense you." He looked straight into the Frigatebird's eyes. "Don't."

    The Frigatebird relaxed, as if relieved that Flame convinced him otherwise. "Ah, you're right. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself." He tucked his wings in close, and before turning around, he glared at the pool one more time.

    He hunched over, drawing something in the ground that Canyon couldn't see. The Frigatebird began to speak in a low voice. "But you do know how we have to do the assassination, right?"

    "You mean...vanquish him to the Forbidden?" Flame asked, horrorstruck. "But, why? He is certainly a fine lad that still has at least five hundred years of his life left!"

    The Frigatebird cleared is throat. "You know about his nature - to forget and to gossip! This could ruin the plan, as he tends to forget his mission not to tell, and then gossips about it all over the place with that big fat beak of his! Today is the forty third day of summer, so on the fiftieth, we'll lash him out of the rankings by his kingliness's command. Even if he's our interrogatonalist, he'll blab about his findings to us at the wrong place at the wrong time. So we'll start it once we've collected valuable information from him!"

    "And we'll be one of the most powerful rulers of all the realms!" Flame whispered in triumph. His eyes then strayed down to the Frigatebird's drawing. "Say, what is that?"

    For a moment, the Frigatebird looked hurt. "What? You can't even tell what it is?"

    "I never -"

    "Never mind. I wasn't the best at the Phoenix Arts anyway." His gaze drifted into thoughtfulness, then turned to focus again. "This is the Central Phoenix Palace, and I've got it all memorized due to my magic of invisibility!" He said, all proud. "So, when Sleektalon comes here at his usual timing schedule that we'll make for him, you'll come up from here -" He dragged his stick. "And I'll come from here. Together, we'll trap him and banish him to the Forbidden."

    "Clever, young one. Clever."

    "Why, thank you! Anyway, we must go now. It's past your curfew time." The Frigatebird's eyes glinted with mischief and excitement. "Hurry! I must revise this!"

    The Frigatebird was about to rush off when Flame said, "Hold it, boy." The Frigatebird stopped, and turned around, annoyed.

    "Why must you stop me from my plans?"

    "It's not that," He said in irritation. "We delete this drawing from the sand. What if someone comes here and stumbles upon it?"

    The Frigatebird growled softly. "Then erase it. I don't care. I've already memorized it. I didn't put it on a scroll paper, so no need to worry!" He walked through the opening between The Falls, and rushed off, but not before Canyon saw him turn invisible like a chameleon in the dark sky.

    "Idiot bird. Thinks he knows everything." Flame mumbled, scraping and stomping on the drawing. "Thinks I'm useless." He muttered more quietly about the Frigatebird. A fish poked its head out of the water to stare at him. "What?" The fish swam away. Flame stomped one final time, and stormed off, his fire like an orange halo around his neck.

    After a few moments, Canyon crawled out of her hiding spot. She had stayed there for a long time, and developed small cramps along her spine. She slowly eased her cramps, and flew steadily over to the place they just were. She was wary of the pool since yesterday, but couldn't exactly pinpoint why she wasn't affected, when Flame was. Possibly, it was just that he had an evil inside, which would be impossible in Canyon's eyes.

    Canyon went over to where the Frigatebird had drawn his plan. She hopped over to the place where they had drawn their plan, and groaned softly. True to his word, Flame erased the plan. Or at least, most of it. Some jagged lines were here and there, and a word that said, "paradise", was visible through the dust. She would need a lot more evidence than this if she wanted to report this to the king. No, when she wanted to.

                                                                                                ~~~

    The next day, after her morning hunt, she went to her Elemental Advisory class. It was on the opposite side of the Rising Sun from the Ring of Fire. It was basically a time to chat and do whatever you wanted before you go to Elemental Training. It was also when they gave out announces. She took her perch on the Fire Phoenix Area, and started to talk to another Fire Phoenix named Pyretalon. Pyretalon was a Great Gray Owl, and was immensely powerful. She could blow fire from her beak from about fifty feet away, and had wicked sharp, curved talons to crush her prey beneath. Canyon had befriended a fellow Fire Phoenix.

    That was minutes before Alabastorm came.

    When he appeared, Canyon's heart leapt into her throat, and thoughts of Flame's possible betrayal slammed into her mind.

    Of course! She shrieked in her head. Why haven't I thought of it before? I can trust him with this secret! I am sure I am!

    But when Alabastorm flew closer, Canyon started to prickle with doubts. What if he reports this on me, and Flame is actually innocent? I mean, he is more closely associated with the Rising Sun leaders, so he'll most likely choose them over me. Canyon paused, trying to rebound her negative thoughts. But he does seem trustworthy. He can be, if I just believe -

    She got cut off as Alabstorm yelled, "Hey, Canyon and Pyretalon! I was wondering where you guys were!" He covered his beak as red flames curled out. "Today, someone very special is coming - a guest, perhaps. Do you know who it is?"

    Canyon wanted to say yes, wanted to yell out SLEEKTALON. But the words got caught in her throat. Pyretalon just shrugged, letting her fire stray far.

    Alabastorm laughed, curls of flames shooting high overhead. "Well, you'll see." He cocked his head at the distance. "I'll give you one clue, though. He is a trainer in phoenixes. He wants to strengthen your elemental abilities. See if you can figure it out." With one last lingering look at them, he flew off.

    "Sleektalon." Canyon whispered.

    "Hmm? Sleektalon?" Pyretalon said questioningly. She had amazing hearing - or at least, amazing to Canyon.

    "Oh. Never mind." Something in Canyon told her to trust Pyretalon, but Canyon held back, only by fear.

    "Okay. Tell me later, three shadows after sunset. Anyway, did you hear about the invasion?"

    "What?" Canyon gasped.

    "Well, I've heard that Hunterless Woods got overtaken by some strange magic - ice. They say that reports of dark, shadow-like dragons lurk through the blizzard, but it cannot be assured that it's true. Sure, the Ice Dragons have awoken, but they haven't done any harm to other places. Nobody got killed in Hunterless Woods, although there have been reports of fifteen missing birds."

    "Wh-wha? What? No attacks yet? Do you know -"

    "Alright, young phoenixes! Get back to your perches, for the daily announcements!" Alabastorm shouted over the trees of elemental magic. "We have a very special guest today!"

    There were a few tussles and quarrels that were going around, but soon died down, and everyone was in their perches, poised with a straight back, and wings held erect at their sides.

    "As you all know, we have had quite a problem with the Ice Dragons." Murmurs swirled around. "QUIET!" Silence. "Okay, now. You all know that, so I'll just skip to the part about our very special guest...This bird has been respected for many years of teachings of harnessing the powers that we all have in us. He will greatly improve our strength, in case any of you will have to face Ice Talons someday." Shuffling talons scratched their perches as phoenixes became nervous at even the thought of facing him. Other non-fire birds glanced briefly at the Fire Phoenixes. "Now, I would all like you to welcome...LORD SLEEKTALON!"

    A shadowy lump pushed itself out of the shadows.

    Canyon gasped, memories of the past flinging its way through her head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

672 29 30
Yin and Yang. Light cannot exist without Darkness, and Darkness cannot exist without Light. However one such World defies these terms. This is the wo...
29.7K 1.7K 35
Freya who has no username woke up from the winter. 70% of her body is snow. She is also bloomed with powers colder than ice. She can make it winter i...
31 0 10
For generations, the descendants of the Fae King have been receiving pieces of a prophecy. It has been foretold that a chosen one will come to save A...
1.4K 370 14
A world where magic exists, along with magical creatures and Gods. Three royal siblings each with their prophecies but is it a prophecy or a curse? A...