The Girl Marauder(Book One)

By lillyanbrooks

Days are getting darker, the world is falling apart, and Luna Swift is running out of options. She's been on... More

Author's Note/Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue/Author's Note

Chapter 24

12.1K 558 444
By lillyanbrooks

Waking up the next morning, Luna discovered she was glad she had done all her packing yesterday, when she saw both Alice and Lily hurrying around the room, cursing themselves as they tried to put everything away before breakfast.

"What time is it?" Luna asked around a big yawn as she propped herself up onto her elbows, and Lily paused only briefly to glance at the watch on her wrist.

"Seven-thirty. Breakfast is at eight." Lily said, then frowned. "Have you seen my red sweater anywhere?"

"I can see it under your bed, Evans." Luna said as she stood up out of her own bed and headed for the bathroom. She didn't put too much effort into straightening herself out for the morning- she brushed her teeth, washed her face, and ran her fingers through her hair. She could worry about makeup and other such things later, if she had the time. For now, she simply wanted breakfast, and maybe a good-morning hug from Sirius.

"I think I'm going to head out to the common room, see if anyone else is up." She told Lily as she headed back into the commotion-filled dorm. "If that's alright. You seem busy enough with the packing and what not-"

"Yeah! Um- go on, I'll meet you down for breakfast." Lily said in a distracted manner, frowning at two different sweaters she held in her hands. As Luna left the room, she could hear her friend- "Mary, is this yours or mine? I can't tell-"

Rolling her eyes, she skipped the last step and landed into the common room with a small 'thud'. Morning light already shown through the windows of the common room, lighting up in the spring what the fire did in the winter; the red walls, the cozy couches, the chairs. And currently, the black-haired boy that was sprawled out onto the couch. Luna smiled.

"Morning, James."

"Luna?" James raised his head, looking over at her with surprise. "Thank Merlin, someone else is awake."

"Everyone else sleeping in?"

"Well, I think Remus is just a little hungover, but besides that, yes." James smiled. "Sleep well?"

"I did." Luna said, coming to crash beside him on the couch. "I'm going to miss that bed."

"I promise the one you have waiting for you back home is twice as comfy." James said, and Luna's smile widened at the thought.

"I'm excited to completely collapse into it once graduation is over, then." She said, and James laughed.

"Understandable. I reckon you'll want to stay up for dinner though- mum's baking, and I did promise you that the food will be the best you'll ever eat. Not that you don't have all summer and what not, but graduation will probably earn some fine dishes on the table tonight." He said, lips pulling up a little at the thought. Luna grinned.

"Okay, I'll stay up for dinner. And then I'll collapse." She decided. James nodded.

"Sounds great." He said, and then his tone softened. "I'm glad you're coming to stay with us. My mom will enjoy having another girl in the house, what with Sirius, dad, and I running around all the time."

"I'll enjoy having a mom around who isn't a horrendous bitch." Luna said with as much false-enthusiasm as she could muster. She chuckled quietly though, taking on a serious tone. "I am excited to meet her though. It's going to be great."

"She'll make you clean." James warned good-naturedly. Luna shrugged

"I'll live. I'm seventeen- magic can help." She said with a wry grin. James nodded.

"Admittedly, true." He agreed. He turned his head then, looking back as though to make sure no one was sneaking up behind them before he turned back to Luna. "And we have a place for full moons too. Dad had it made when Remus could come and stay for the Holidays."

"Really?" Luna said, her grin widening. "That's- that's brilliant. Thank you."

"Well, we couldn't exactly keep it from you." James joked. "But you're welcome. Of course you are."

Luna smiled at him, opening her mouth to speak when hands came down on her shoulders and a kind voice said "Happy graduation day!"

"It's your graduation too, Remus." Luna chuckled quietly, looking up to smile at her friend. Remus smiled back down at her, looking a little tired but otherwise happy. Luna reached up to poke his shoulder.

"How're you feeling after last night?"

"Pretty shit. Woke up smelling like vinegar."

"Worth it though?" James asked. Remus grinned, a little sheepishly, and nodded.

"Definitely." He said, then looked to Luna. "Sirius and Peter are on their way down- Sirius was hogging the shower."

"Sounds like him." Luna sighed happily. She perked considerably when thudding came from the boys' stairway, and the shower-hogger in question appeared, fingers running through his wet hair. When he saw his friends he grinned, grey eyes lighting up in a way that made Luna's chest feel warm. She reached a hand out for him as he approached, pleased when he took it and twined his fingers with her.

"Everyone sleep alright? No horrible hang overs?"

"Not too horrible." Remus answered with a small cringe. Sirius smiled, clasping him on the shoulder.

"You'll be fine. We've just got to get some food in ya."

"Definitely- speaking of, shouldn't breakfast be ready by now?" Peter asked as he came down to join them. The common room was staring to get busier and busier, students coming down from their dorms. The group considered this, then nodded, and Sirius helped Luna up from the couch.

"Sleep well?" Sirius asked her quietly. Luna nodded with a smile, moving up to press a quick kiss to his lips.

"Brilliantly. Yourself?"

His eyes shone mischievously. "Exceedingly well."

"Wonderful." Luna giggled, pulling him along as the others left for the Great Hall, breakfast on all of their minds.

_

The day, without classes, passed by quickly and without much event.

After breakfast the five split up, and Luna had found herself spending the morning with Mary, Lily and Alice, getting ready in the dorm for graduation by way of makeup, choosing outfits, and singing loudly(and badly) to muggle music on a record player Lily smuggled in.

Luna felt a little bare in the backless, sleeveless dress, but the skirt was long, the floral print was cute, and the way Mary had curled her hair left little of her scars to be seen. She sat in the Great Hall for lunch, squeezed in between Lily and Alice and smiling as the two bantered back and forth about future careers and their lives.

"How about you, Luna?" Mary asked curiously from down the row, using her spoon to stir her soup. "Any future plans?"

"I'm going to see what the summer brings." Luna said with a small smile. "Maybe try and get a small job somewhere."

"You would be a cute waitress." Mary said, winking at her. "Bring in those tips."

"Should I be worried?" Sirius chimed as he approached the table, sliding in the seat across from them. Luna grinned at him sheepishly, pleased when he leaned over the table to speak obviously only to her, his voice a whisper. "How do you feel about causing a distraction?"

"What for?"

"The others are up to something. We've been charged with covering them." He said with a wink, and Luna grinned.

"What did you have in mind?"

"Something dramatic. Like- HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF SUCH A THING?" Sirius reared back suddenly, hand on his chest and eyes affronted as he stared at her. Luna forced her smile off her face, trying her best to appear serious as she stood up, pointing at him.

"AS IF YOU DON'T DESERVE IT! I'VE SEEN IT COMING FOR MONTHS!" She screamed back, trying not to blush under the eyes that peered curiously their way. "YOU'VE ALWAYS PREFERRED REMUS TO ME!"

"WELL HE'S QUITE A LOVELY MAN!" Sirius said defensively. From beside her, Alice nudged her leg.

"Luna? What's going on-"

Luna ignored her, hands on her hips as she threw her head back and laughed. "Oh, is that how it is? AM I NOT LOVELY ENOUGH? REMUS DOESN'T EVEN WEAR LIPSTICK!"

"HE'S A NATURAL BEAUTY!"

"AND I'M NOT?!"

"I NEVER SAID THAT!"

"IT WAS IMPLIED!" Luna scoffed. The two were moving down the sides of the table now, easily gaining the attention of almost the entire room. If Luna glanced out of the corner of her eye she could see Dumbledore watching with raised eyebrows and amused expression. McGonagall's lips were pursed, but she too seemed to have no intention of interrupting. Sirius threw his hands up in exasperation.

"ARE YOU A MIND READER NOW, WITCH?"

"DON'T USE THAT TONE ON ME SIRIUS BLACK. I AM NOT YOUR MOTHER!"

"MY MOTHER WOULDN'T BE JEALOUS OF REMUS!"

"YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T HAVE ANY REASON TO BE." She threw back, eyes narrowed and biting back a grin that threatened to take over her entire face. Sirius laughed, clearly enjoying the banter.

"Neither do you!" He insisted. Luna shook her head.

"I'VE SEEN HOW YOU ARE. UNBELIEVABLE-"

"YOU'RE BEING UNBELIEVABLE."

"HOW DARE YOU!" Luna yelled, opening her mouth to yell out another accusation again when something loud boomed- and the room was filled with fireworks, red and green and yellow and blue. They lit up all over the place, forcing the room into silence with the volume of which they went off. Luna's mouth dropped open, eyes wide as she took it in. In the corners of the room she could see James, Remus and Peter, all grinning broadly. Remus's cheeks were pink.

Then a hand slipped into hers, pulling her away from the room until she was outside, the booms still ringing in her ears.

Sirius's eyes were as bright as the fireworks, his smile wide as he maneuvered them out into the hall, pushing her against the wall once they were out of sight and kissing her soundly.

Luna smiled against his lips, arms moving around his neck as his found her waist, fingers pressing into her bare skin and sending goosebumps down her spine. Sirius was always gentle with her, never too pressing or grabby, and she loved that it had to be all him because as a pureblood you were never raised to truly be thoughtful, but he constantly was with her.

She slipped her fingers into his hair, smoothing out the black locks that fell to his neck and trying not to smile too much when he pressed closer to her, his body warm and strong. Luna broke away then, pleased when Sirius didn't move far away in response but instead stayed close, resting his forehead to hers.

"We should go back. People are going to notice we've left." She said quietly. Sirius grinned, fingers gently rubbing at the bare skin of her back.

"Let them notice." He murmured. Luna didn't argue. Instead, she smiled, then kissed him again, and let herself sink into him for now.

_

"Your lipstick is smudged." Lily deadpanned as they filed into their rows for graduation. Luna jumped, hand flying up to her lips. She had thought Mary had put a charm on it so it wouldn't ruin- and then Lily laughed, and Luna huffed impatiently, hand dropping.

"That's rude."

"That was hysterical!" Lily teased, poking her in the arm. "I saw you sneak off with Sirius. You rebel."

"Just don't tell Alice- She'll give me endless shit for it-"

"Oh, she already knows." Lily promised, chuckling quietly. She reached down then, taking Luna's hand and squeezing gently. "I've got to get to my seat- Headgirl duties and all that. Will you be alright finding your seat?"

"I'll be fine, Lily, just go on." Luna smiled, waving her friend along. Lily smiled at her, leaning to kiss her cheek before she was gone, weaving through the crowds of red, yellow, blue and green to find her spot. With a huff, Luna figured she better find her own.

The filing system wasn't hard, and soon she found herself in her seat next to Garrett Stubbins and one way from Snape. Garrett was pleasant enough of a Hufflepuff, and Luna was glad for once for his idle small talk to distract from the dirty looks the Slytherin kept looking at her with, clearly trying to show his displeasure at being sat so near to the Gryffindor girl. Luna focused her eyes forward, trying to locate her friends through the crowd.

She spotted Remus first, sat in his seat and talking politely with whomever was sitting next to him. A little ways behind him was Peter, and way in the front was Sirius, who, she realized with a smile, was looking at her two.

'Ready?' He mouthed, and Luna grinned, giving a firm nod. She was. Sirius grinned back, gave her a thumbs up, then turned back in his seat as Dumbledore took to the podium, welcoming everybody to the small clearing by the lake that had been made for the occasion.

The graduation speech was well-spoken and well-loved, and by the end of it Luna was smiling quietly to herself, watching her Headmaster with a respect she reserved for only the people she thought most deserving. He was light-hearted as he was serious, not sugar coating the darkness the world had taken on but remaining hopeful all the same. When he stepped back, the crowd erupted in such applause that Luna thought she might go deaf.

Then McGonagall stepped up, and names began to be called. The first name Luna cared about was in fact Sirius, who strutted up onto stage, took the diploma McGonagall handed to him, and pressed a sound kiss to her cheek before he was bowing to the applause the other four Marauders and many other students gave him. McGonagall merely rolled her eyes and called for the next name.

One by one, Luna got to watch as her friends were called up, Alice after Sirius, Remus a short while later, followed by Mary and later on Peter. Luna fussed with the cuffs of her robes, trying to straighten them out as Snape went up, and then Stebbins, and then suddenly her name was called, and she could feel the blood drain from her cheeks as she stood up.

Part of her expected someone to yell out, to name her for what she was- but no noise ever came. Instead, she walked up to the stage. McGonagall was smiling at her, just a subtle gesture of fondness.

"Miss Swift." She said, holding the paper out to Luna. Luna took it carefully, scared to bend the paper. McGonagall appeared a little amused at the younger girl's awe, reaching out to take her other hand and giving it a small, rather informal squeeze of encouragement. "Congratulations on your graduation from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

"Thank you." Luna said, managing a smile, and then she was walking off stage and Sirius was there, ready to pull her into a tight hug.

"You did it, love." He cheered quietly, pressing his lips to her forehead. Luna smiled, pulling her head back to look at him.

"We did it." She said firmly, and Sirius grinned at her before he let her go to take her hand and pull over to where the others had grouped together, completely disregarding the alphabetical order now that it no longer mattered to them.

When everyone else in the rows had been sorted, it came time for the Headboy and Headgirl. James and Lily, who had been sitting together near the side of the stage, walked to the front together, both grinning brightly and looking, admittedly, a little nervous.

"Our Headboy and Headgirl this year have shown extreme amounts of bravery, kindness, and wisdom. They have proven leadership in chaotic times, and I am proud that they come from my own house." McGonagall said, to the crowd, before turning to face James and Lily. Both were handed their diplomas, offered a firm handshake, and then McGonagall was back at the podium.

"Congratulations, Hogwarts class of 1978!" McGonagall said, and when she lifted her wand into the air Hogwarts banners dropped in rows, hanging mid-air. Not Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw banners. Just Hogwarts. Luna jumped when the fireworks went off, but then smiled at the colors, at the shapes that took place in the light- a snake, a badger, an eagle, and a lion, enchanted to move down the aisles together.

"It's so pretty." Luna breathed, smiling a little when Sirius gave her hand a small squeeze while his eyes were transfixed on the fireworks above their heads. Luna only looked away when Remus spoke.

"Look at that! Everyone owes me twenty galleons!" He said enthusiastically, and Luna followed Remus's gesture to see James and Lily on stage, kissing in a manner that certainly surpassed friendship. Luna only scoffed though.

"You have no proof Lily made the first move-"

"But if she did-"

"And it still doesn't count if they've been together before now." Luna said smugly. Remus stuck his tongue out at her, then grinned as a smaller lion walked by, its red main sparkling.

"We'll ask later." He decided. "For now- let's enjoy graduation, eh?"

"That's a brilliant idea." Luna chuckled quietly, leaning into Sirius's side when he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

_

"Come on, Luna- get in our boat." James urged, sneaking up behind her to gently pull her away from her other friends. Luna smiled, nodded, then turned back to apologize to Mary and Alice, but they were already waving her off. Luna followed after James, lifting the skirt of her dress up to her ankles as she finagled herself into the four-person boat that now held five.

"Come on- you have to see as much as possible, since you didn't do this the first time." Sirius encouraged, opening up his arms to her. Luna moved into them, sitting herself carefully in his lap and pleased when he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I won't miss a thing." Luna promised, leaning back against his chest. She tensed a little when the boats started moving on their own, rocking a little on the lake water, but soon it settled into a comfortable rhythm, and Luna turned her head to watch the castle with wide eyes as it's dark silhouette began to blend in with the dark blue sky, it's lights shining out like lanterns in the night.

"I'm gonna miss it there." She murmured quietly, and Sirius nodded sympathetically, his own eyes transfixed on the castle.

Sirius couldn't believe it was over. Seven years of mischief, of life, of living. All behind him now. And, of course, he was a better person for it. And even if he could get his hands on a time turner, turn back time to that first year that would become one of the best years, he wouldn't. Seven years of mischief, of life, of living, all behind him but pushing him forward as a better wizard. He tightened his arms a little tighter around Luna, resting his head on her shoulder. James, who sat beside him, had already turned away from the castle, rubbing at his eyes under his glasses.

James had always been a hell of an emotional mess, and leaving Hogwarts for the last time certainly wasn't helping. The castle had provided him with his friends, his best friends, and gave him such happiness. And he knew it wasn't the end of happiness, not in the slightest- but it was the end of something, an era of its own. It was hard to leave a safe place in exchange for a world where the war was much too close and much too unavoidable. But, he remembered with a deep breath, this wasn't just the end. This was a beginning. Ahead of him, he could see Lily in her own boat, her eyes still watching the castle. He smiled. This was going to be the beginning of a lot of things.

Shifting, he moved to rest back against the edge of the boat, apologizing briefly when his stretched-out legs nearly knocked into Peter.

Peter didn't realize he had been holding his breath until his head had started to swim, and he let out the exhale as quietly as possible, not wanting to detract from the view of the castle. It was so beautiful, at this time of night- but night also held dark things, things that made Peter feel weak. He didn't want to be weak anymore. He wanted to be strong. He wanted to be powerful. He let out another deep breath, finally tearing his eyes away from the castle to look forward. Someday, he would be powerful. Beside him he heard Remus sigh, and he wondered if Remus perhaps wanted the same thing too.

Remus couldn't force a smile despite the calm atmosphere. The world could be unkind to a werewolf, and he was certain the kindness he had been subject to at Hogwarts wasn't so common everywhere. But, he remembered with a sigh, that didn't mean it didn't exist. That didn't mean he couldn't have a proper future. And besides, werewolf or not, there were more looming matters ahead besides work- There was a war now, and Remus knew firmly what side he would be on, and who would be beside him. There was still hope.

Always, hope.

*

* *

* * *

* * * *

* * * * *

This is not the end!

There is an epilogue coming!

I hope you've enjoyed these characters so far! I love them all so much, and I hope you do too.

As always, I love hearing your thoughts! So let me know by voting, commenting, or sending me a quick message. Your opinions matter!

Hoping your week has been lovely.

Luv ya,

-Lily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.4K 1.5K 89
Y/N arrives at Hogwarts ready to start a new life at school, she's fallen in love but it comes with way more challenges than she expected. Will they...
13.9K 668 28
**COMPLETED** 4 boys called themselves the Marauders, well what about the 3 girls who called themselves the Rougesisters. These 3 girls have an oath...
2.4K 41 26
BOOK 2 OF THE HP SERIES "Let's tell each other our secrets. I'm gonna go first. I hate you." The one where Sirius Black falls for his best friends s...
69.1K 2.5K 17
**Book 1 in the Bally Bloodline Series** Jasmine Bally, a Muggleborn Ravenclaw going into seventh year, prefers her school life to her home life, eve...