Chapter 2

Waking up showed Sirius’s full range of emotions; He was homicidal when woken, grumpy when showering(with the occasional side of psychotic-ness that came with late nights and early mornings), and back to his laid-back persona by the time he got out, ruffling his hair with a towel and wrapping a second around his waist as he stepped out of the shower. Many a girl would kill for this sight of him, Sirius thought unabashedly, taking the time to admire himself in the mirror as he ran his fingers through his hair. It hadn't been properly cut since the beginning of summer, and now reached the middle of his neck. He'd have to get it cut before it grew to his shoulders, he decided with a frown.

His time in the mirror was soon cut short by James’s call, and after making sure the towel would stay tucked Sirius marched out into his dorm. Peter was still asleep in his bunk while Remus had gone to read on James’s, his book still propped open on his lap even though his head was craned to look over James’s shoulder.

“What is it, Prongs?” Sirius asked, carefully sitting down next to his best friend. James cringed slightly as his friend’s still-wet skin dampened his shirt but said nothing of it, instead pointing at a spot on the map. Sirius recognized it easily.

“The girl’s dormitory. What of it? You haven’t been stalking Evans again, have you?”

“I do not stalk her. And it’s the new girl.” James said with an air of someone who thought something should be obvious. “She’s not there.”

“How can she not be there? Where is she?” Sirius’s brows furrowed. It was still an uncommon time to be up- At least for a Saturday- and none of the girls ever emerged from their dorm before at least nine. James shrugged, looking annoyed.

“I don’t know! She’s not on the map at all. She could be in one of the passageways, but that's unlikely. People rarely find those on their own..” James said, brows raised. Sirius shrugged mildly, looking away from James to stare back down at the map. He was about to dismiss it, and tell his friend to stop creeping on the new girl when footsteps appeared by the Hogsmeade passageway, a name appearing soon after.

“She’s there.” Sirius said, surprised. “By the Hogsmeade passage. There.”

He leaned over his friend to point. James squinted behind his glassed before he nodded, shutting the map quickly. “Right. C’mon, then.”

“C’mon where, exactly?” Sirius asked, watching as James pulled himself off the floor and stuffed the map into his back pocket. James rolled his eyes, obviously exasperated.

“Well aren’t you curious about where she was? Let’s go find out. You too, Remus.” He encouraged, nodding towards the door. Remus gave a loud snort, rolling his eyes and turning his attention back to his book.

“No. It’s her business, let her be. You’ll scare her.”

Sirius laughed then. “I doubt she’s as timid as she looks.” He grinned, glancing up at James. “Let’s go.”

But James stopped, staring at Sirius with raised eyebrows. “You should probably put clothes on.” 

“...Right.”

_

A few minutes later Sirius and James were walking quickly through the hallways, checking the map every now and then for a reference as to where the new girl may have gone.

“She’s just down there, Pads. Hurry up.” James said, speeding up his pace only to slam to a stop before he turned to corner. He grunted when Sirius ran into him, the latter letting out a small laugh.

“It’s not a spy mission, James.” He said, nudging his friend lightly before turning the corner himself. The new girl- Luna- stood there, staring up at one of the castle paintings with a bemused expression. Her hands were clasped behind her, long fingers intertwined as she rocked back on her heels.