The Sins of a Father

By CharlyDashwood

Raven Evans has known only two things about her biological parents. 1) her mother, Lily, died by the hand of... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty - four
Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven: Battle of Hogwarts
Chapter Twenty Eight: The Final Battle
Chapter Twenty Nine: Memories of a Father
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One!
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter 9

11.2K 285 91
By CharlyDashwood

        The Second Task

It had been a couple of months since the Yule Ball and the second task would be taking place tomorrow. Cedric figured out that it was to take place in the Black Lake and he would take swims there every so often while I kept his time. He had an hour to find whatever was going to be taken and none of the other Champions knew what would be taken. I decided to ask my dad, which wasn't a great idea but it was the only idea I had.

"Hello, dad, um I've got a question about the tournament," I spoke softly in his office.

"Did Diggory put you up to this?" he sneered Cedric's last name. Scoffing, I set my hands on my hips.

"Actually no he didn't, I'm here on my own accord. I just want to know what's going to be taken down to the Black Lake," I retorted. Snape paused a while not knowing how to answer my question.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that, it's against the rules," he responded with a nonchalant tone.

"So you can't even give me a hint?" I asked, pushing a little. Snape continued grading papers and shook his head.

"No, I can't and I won't," he replied. Sighing and rolling my eyes, I tried one last time.

"Is that your final answer, then?" I probed, giving him one last opportunity to give me an answer.

"Yes," he answered, not looking up at my face.

"Okay, well then I better get going," I finished with a huge sigh. Turning to leave Snape's voice caught me as I stood at the threshold.

"I forgot to mention that you are needed by Professor Moody right about now, so I suggest you go see him instantly, oh and Raven, would you be so good to tell your half brother to stop stealing from my Potions Cabinets?" He sneered the last part, like the fact that Harry and I being siblings repulsed him.

"I highly doubt it's Harry stealing from you but I'll tell him anyway, if that'll make you happy," I answered, with a huge sigh. I left his office and headed down into Professor Moody's office.

Sometimes I wished that I hadn't known who my father was because at least I didn't have to wonder how to make him happy but then again, I would've wondered about my mother and whether or not she was a whore - apart of me still kind of thought that, only because I never knew what she was like and I didn't know how she was in school. You'd think living with my mother's parents I would know more about her but I didn't. They never liked talking about her so I had nothing to go on..

I was just about to go into Moody's office when my shoulder was tugged on, I looked behind me and saw Cedric.

"Hey, didn't you hear me calling you?" he asked faintly panting.

"Sorry, no too deep in thought I guess. I'm just about to go to Moody's office – Snape said he needed to see me."

"What's wrong?" he asked, softly.

"Nothing really, I'm just really confused right now, that's all," I answered truthfully.

"Confused about what?" he asked.

"It's a uh fatherly thing," I responded vaguely, not really wanting to talk about it. Cedric looked around both sides of the corridor, seeing that the coast was clear we moved to the wall and sat on a nearby bench with his arm wrapped around me.

"What's happened?" he asked very softly.

"Nothing that's the thing. I've tried everything to make him happy but it's the same tone and face all over. I'm beginning to think that he didn't even want me to know about him. I still think that he's my teacher instead of a dad. I always thought that when I met my father it would've been a happy time but it's only been hard work, trying to please him or at least trying to make him smile," I complained to Cedric. Cedric pondered on my words, thinking of some kind of explanation for his behavior.

"Well maybe he really loved your mother and when she died, he felt heartbroken and maybe you act so much like your mother that he's reminded of the sorrow he felt when he lost her," Cedric offered. It made a lot more sense than anything else but it also sounded bad.

"Great, so it's my fault that my own father hates me," I groaned.

"No, no, no, no I didn't mean it like that, I only meant that – what I'm trying to say his, if he doesn't like you for you then that's a loss for him but I'm sure he does love you - in his own way and if that doesn't satisfy you then know that my family will love you. Maybe you could come for a visit over summer and I could introduce you to them and actually, my father will be here during the third task and I'll introduce you to him - properly. Stop trying to please others, you'll go mad if you do, just do what you'll make you happy."

"Thanks, I better go see what Moody needs," I sighed. Cedric kissed the top of my head then helped me onto my feet.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I called right as I opened the door to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Cedric waved back then I shut the door behind me. "Professor Moody? I'm here! I was told that you needed to see me!" I called in the darkness of the room.

"Good evening, Miss Evans and how are you?" he asked, emerging from his private office upstairs.

"Fine and yourself?" I asked keeping the tone light, I didn't need anyone else knowing about my daddy issues right now. Moody smiled kind of sinisterly at me, which gave me a sense of uneasiness.

"Peachy," he replied sarcastically. I heard some mumbling then my world instantly went black.

I felt wet, cold but alive. My head broke out of the water and I heard the applause of students. I felt so disoriented but Cedric looked at me, with a wide grin on his face.

"What's going on?" I yelled over the cheers.

"Tell you in a minute, just keep swimming towards the dock," Cedric yelled. I did as he said and kept on swimming until I was pulled up by some of the students on the docks; then wrapped in a number of towels. Other student's hands were patting my shoulder, giving me "good jobs". After they wrapped Cedric up I went towards him and he took me into his arms and held me tightly.

"Will you please tell me what just happened?" I asked feeling confused and irritated.

"I just completed the second task - it was you that they took. You were at the bottom of the Black Lake in some kind of Mermaid world and I saved you," Cedric answered. The crowd started to cheer again as Viktor Krum and Hermione came out of the water.

"Did all the Champions have people that were taken down into the lake?" I asked him.

"Harry had beaten me down into the bottom but I guess he didn't know which one to choose and the hour is up," Cedric informed. Just as he finished, Ron and Fleur's little sister emerged out of the water shortly followed by Harry. The crowds got even louder as Harry came up out of the water and came up onto the docks. I pushed my way through to him and gathered him into my arms and squeezed him tightly.

"I'm so glad you aren't hurt Harry!" I yelled at him after releasing him.

"Attention! Now that we've all got our Champions it's time to place them!" The crowd went silent to let Dumbledore speak. "Now the two tied for first is Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter because he saved two lives instead of one and in second place Viktor Krum! Which leaves Miss Fleur in third place! The last task will take place on the twenty fourth of June!"

Cedric took his arms and wrapped them around me, pulling him close to me as we entered a boat that would be taking us back to land. On the way back, Cedric explained how he was worried that I didn't show up and he almost didn't even go to the task but he knew that I would've wanted him to go even if I couldn't make it and he had been absolutely right. Then he told me that when he saw me in the Black Lake that he didn't even hesitate to grab me but then he saw Harry trying to decide on who to take because he had both of his friends on the bottom. We walked all the way back to the castle and got into new clothes then took a walk outside, away from the castle.

"I wouldn't mind living at Hogwarts forever," I mused, looking at the magnificent castle.

"Really? I want to explore and travel to America, just see what it's like," Cedric added.

"That wouldn't be a bad idea, you mind if I tag along after I'm done helping Snape?" I asked.

"You're going to be helping Snape?" he asked in disbelief. "What happened to making yourself happy?" he demanded.

"Calm down for just a minute and let me explain. I'm teaching Potions when Snape can't make it and I'm not doing it for him but I'm doing it because I might want to be a teacher and he would be helping me with that and I wouldn't be doing it for the rest of my life just until I don't want to teach anymore or until I get sick of Snape" I explained. I felt kind of horrible saying that I was going to get sick of Snape, it didn't feel right in my mouth.

"Okay, if that'll make you happy then I'll wait," he grinned.

"Or you can go to America right after school while I teach and when you come back we'll see if we still feel the same that we're feeling now and we'll take it from there, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan," he retorted. Cedric took me in his arms and started to kiss me more passionately than ever before. Our mouths moved as one our bodies melted into each other and our minds were thinking as one. I had never felt so happy before in my life and I didn't think anything was going to get any better.

"It's late and we have classes tomorrow, let's get going," I suggested, breaking apart.

"Do we have too?" Cedric asked, kissing my cheeks.

"Yes, we have too, now let's get a move on before you're missed, mister first place." We walked back to the castle both feeling as happy as could be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 1.1K 27
Samantha Potter is James Potters twin sister. After getting sorted into Gryffindor she meets Lily Evans, along with her Sytherin friend Severus Snap...
652 10 20
Rhiannon Elizabeth Snape is the daughter of the infamous Sirius Black. Rhiannon just finished her sixth/seventh year at Hogwarts and now Severus and...
57.7K 1.5K 82
***Not Edited: Read with that in mind*** You practically grew up a Weasley. Living right down the hill with your muggle parents, you were always curi...
365 11 17
Lucinda grew up alone from ages 3 to 11. With the death of her mother when she was young. She was left to live isolated with only her sister and grie...