Biting Temptation

Per Misguided

The fight for love is never-ending. And for Evie and Michael it proves to be just that. After believing a sad... Més

Biting Temptation
1: Future
2: Winding Down
3: Persuasive Customer
4: Own Adventure
6: New Plan
7: Over and Over
8: "I don't forget."
9: Illness
10: Unexpected Return
11: Her Maker
12: Coyote Ugly
13: Mistakes
14: Regular Hero
15: Power
16: Family
17: Arrivals
18: Trust... Again
19: Release
20: Final
21: Reborn
22: Worries
23: Dealing
24: Not Today
25: My Fault
26: Crack
27: Sired
28: Sixty Minutes
29: Until Dawn
30: Penultimate
31: End
Epilogue.

5: Rainbows & Flowers

88.3K 1.9K 148
Per Misguided

Sleeping at Last - Masquerade
_____________

"Show me."

"Evie..."

"Come on, stand up and show me. And make sure to step back from the camera so I can see all of you."

Amy frowned on my laptop screen and I smiled at her. Although she looked frail over the Skype screen she still had an odd glow to her skin and her features weren't as bad as I was expecting. Her brunette hair was tied up in a bun above her head and her chocolate brown eyes were slightly hidden behind her glasses. 

She rolled her eyes after a moment and sighed. "Fine alright," Amy stood. "Just... Don't think I'm fat okay?"

"Amy your almost three months pregnant with a quickly developing baby, you are fat." I teased and she bent and scowled at the screen before stepping back.

A smile curved my lips as I looked at Amy's large stomach. It was odd, her being pregnant for only five months was even stranger but still. Amy was quite huge already and she'd only left a month ago. And at that point she was seven weeks in without any of our knowledge. 

"Okay? You've seen, now I'm sitting back down before I hurt myself."

Before she sat I looked around the room she was in a frowned. "Where are you Amy? Aren't you at home?"

Amy's eyes down casted all of a sudden and she sighed. "No. Not anymore. John and I had to leave last Friday."

It's been almost a week since Florence's little visit to Starbucks and only four days since we'd... Killed... That vampire at Yates. I'd been attending classes and doing day shifts at work but things had been oddly quiet. Even Michael and Nate were a bit wary of how quiet it was.

"Why didn't you tell me? Where are you now?"

"Pam has a place here in New York and John has had the key since finding out I was pregnant. Apparently Pam sent it to him a few weeks ago just in case."

"So..." I leaned forward on the desk in the study taking note of the time. I had class in an hour. "Do your parents know?"

"They had an idea. But I left before they came to any solid conclusions. They think I'm really sick though and I hadn't dressed in anything but baggy clothes. They believe I've gone to a specialist hospital in Detroit." I sensed the gloom in her voice as she spoke of her parents and sighed. We all expected this to happen sooner than later. She wouldn't see her family for a while and from the way she explained the goodbye between them, her parents knew as well. "On top of that Chelsea thinks I hate her."

I groaned. "Yeah she called me. She thinks you're ignoring her."

"I've talked to her on the phone but... What more can I do? I can't see her and I definitely won't now." Amy ran a hand over her face. "Enough about me. How's the business with Florence. Is Lew behaving? Have you seen Harriet lately?"

I quickly explained Lewis was doing brilliantly with helping everyone and went on to tell her Harriet and I ate lunch yesterday before her last class. 

"Harriet's the same. She's been asking when you'll be here next."

Amy went silent a moment as she visibly swallowed. I frowned at her before asking, "What's wrong?"

"I'm due in nine weeks. I'll be coming to Canada in two or three. It depends on how I feel. Evie... I'm weak." She murmured. "John's finally been giving me some of his blood by putting it my drinks." 

As I stared at the computer screen the image cleared considerably and I realised, despite the glow, she did look frail. The dark marks under her eyes showed her lack of sleep, her cheekbones were even more prominent that usual and her full mouth seemed constantly pursed. 

"You're doing well according to Celia, Ames. Better than she ever did."

"That's because Jonathan hasn't allowed me to go without food the stubborn moron." The last words she whispered. "Wait look." Her hands lifted the laptop up and she started over to a large double bed in the middle of the room. John was sleeping in the middle of the bed on his front topless. His skin, which was usually a nice tan colour, was slightly paler. "He's been sleeping since eleven o'clock. How could vampires sleep like a rock anyway?"

"Michael's the same." I chuckled. "Mess with him a little."

"There's only so much more I could do other than draw on his face." She angled the camera to the side and I held in my laughter at the black marks of noughts and crosses on his cheek. "I drew on his face an hour ago."

"Evie!" I heard a male voice from the living room and glanced behind me.

"Quick put his hand in a glass of water so he pees himself."

"Do vampires pee?" A crooked smile made its way onto her face.

"If you two even think about it I will hurt you both." John's voice suddenly grumbled against the pillow. 

Amy laughed and waved before she shut the laptop screen to end the call. I was glad she and John weren't suffering too much and even happier that she still had a smile on her face.

Callum strolled in whistling and smiled at me. His hair today was out in its beautiful curls. His thick glossy hair reached his shoulders. He probably never shaved although the beard on him was attractive.

"Ready for class?" He drawled. 

"I don't think you coming into college with me is a good idea."

"And why not? Kate made me one of those rings so I could go out in the day. Now come on, I'm driving and walkin' you to class."

"No, it's not that. It's the fact you're basically a model and every woman will be staring."

He rolled up the sleeves on his white muscle hugging long sleevw and grinned. "Awh shucks, Eve. Come on let's go Michael won't be happy if you're late."

Callum led me out to his car, a nice navy Jeep. As soon as we arrived, he walked beside me to my class I knew I just knew him coming with me was a bad idea. Women, even the lecturers, were watching him walk. I was used to it with Michael, John, Nate and even Pamela but with Cal it was weird. He ignored them just as they did but I felt uncomfortable.

"Don't pay them any mind," He glanced down at me with a grin. 

"I never usually do. But you're a new addition to my life so I have to get used to you. How old are you again? Three hundred and...?"

"Four. Last month." He looped his arm through mine. "Born and raised in Manchester, I've told you this."

"I forgot." I grumbled walking to the door of Michael's class. "So have you got a... Woman? Man?"

He rolled his eyes. "No, I haven't got a woman, Evie."

"Interesting..."

"Why, have you got someone for me?" He raised a brow. "Blonde? Brunette? Red head like yourself?"

I laughed. "We shall see Callum but I'm not dooming all of my human friends to vampires." 

Michael turned his head to the sound of my laughter. A few of the women were staring at Callum and I couldn't control myself from rolling my eyes. 

"Nice to see she's here safely. Although the red head comment was unnecessary." 

"I was kidding. Anyway am I picking her up?"

"No, I'll take her." Michael lowered his voice. "And make sure no one is at the house tonight okay?"

"Yeah sure why?"

Michael stole a glance at me and I left without a word. Things with Michael and I had been... Slightly different. We both knew this would happen we hadn't not been expecting it, excuse the double negative. Last night wasn't the best of nights. A minor disagreement. He's been going out almost every night and I'd argued he wasn't the only vampire that could patrol with the others. Pam had told me she and her partner Nick had friends in the area that have been helping. And of course I went ahead and said exactly that. 

"What are you doing awake?" Michael asked as he entered the living room at half two in the morning.

"I've been waiting for you." I replied. "Just like every night for the past three and a half weeks."

"You didn't have to."

I chewed on my bottom lip to control my anger before standing from the couch. "No, I didn't have to. But I choose to because I don't know if one day you're just not going to come home. This is the eighth night in a row, Michael."

I watched carefully as the telltale signs of his own anger were being controlled. "I'm doing what I can to help."

"I know that. But you're not the only vampire doing it. And according to Pam there's friends around Vancouver and Burnaby helping. Is one night a week for one vampire too much to ask for?"

He threw his coat on the arm on the sofa and spun to face me. His pupils expanded by a mere inch before returning to its original size. "We can't afford to rest one night."

I gritted my teeth. "So one night... for one vampire is too much to ask for?"

Things escalated quickly from there. My temper wasn't contained for long. And Michael's, 'sometimes I have to be right' attitude thrown into the mix didn't help either. To top it off, both of us are as stubborn as a mule so neither of us apologised. He was gone before I'd woken up this morning. Michael and I weren't always rainbows and flowers. We were in a real relationship. Fangs and all.

I sent Cal a small wave before making my way up the steps to my seat. Laura was staring at Callum. Even Damien was. And I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips.

I leaned across my desk and past Kate to whisper, "You know you're drooling." 

Laura wiped a hand underneath her mouth. "He's beautiful."

Damien grimaced. "Thanks."

"Damien, look at the man! He's so... pretty."

"Keep digging, babe."

Katherine rolled her eyes. "He is pretty though isn't he, Damien?"

He slumped against his chair, grumbling under his breath. As the last few students piled in and sat down, Callum left and Michael started class. He handed our dissertations back apologising for not giving them back to us on Friday like he'd promised. 

I sighed with relief at my marks and grade. I didn't do badly. The corrections may take a few days but it wasn't anything that couldn't be finished. Class finished within the hour. Michael dismissed all of us to study and get on with our thesis and mouthed the word, 'stay' as everyone left. 

"Well done on your thesis." He congratulated as he sat at his desk. "I'm impressed."

"Thanks." I muttered stopping beside his desk. "Was I granted any special treatment?"

From the corner of my eye I saw his lips tilt upward. "That's not entirely fair is it?"

"I suppose not." 

From the sound of the chair creaking I knew he'd stood up. His footsteps, as always, were silent so I didn't know he was in front of me until his feet were in my line of vision. I allowed my gaze to travel up his khaki slacks, past his pin striped shirt ignoring the show of flesh from the two open buttons and stopped on his angelic face. 

He licked his lips before sighing. "You know, I'm not used to not speaking to you."

"Neither am I."

"I'm sorry, Evie." I leaned into his touch as he skimmed his fingers along my cheek. "I've been taking extra hours when I patrol with the rest because I'm just getting... restless with all of it. I've met with Pam and Nick's friends and they've agreed to relieve me of this week and maybe the next. I've also demanded no one come to the house. I really am sorry, I didn't realise you'd felt that way which is completely blind of me," He babbled. "I've left you alone so many nights in the past-"

I placed my fingers to his mouth to stop him from speaking with a smile. "Michael, I forgive you. I may have... overreacted just a little. I didn't have to snap at you the way I did."

"I don't like arguing." He frowned cutely before turning his lips into a devilish smile. "But tonight I will show you just how much I'm sorry."

I inhaled sharply, trying to hide my smile, and grimaced. "Ooh, tonight? What a shame, I've already made plans."

His eyebrow rose in question. "Oh, yeah? With who?"

"Well, ah... it's-"

"Do you really have plans?" 

"Yes."

He cupped my cheeks and stepped forward, consuming all oxygen and logical thinking... as usual. "You sure you'd prefer not to order in and snuggle?"

"Snuggle? What are you a woman?"

Michael threw his head back and laughed. "Snuggling is a no then."

"That's a hell no."

"Alright," He curled one of his hands around my waist and nudged me forward, the smirk on his face had me smirking right back. "I'll order you your favourite pizza from the Italian restaurant in town and for dessert..." I leaned my head to the side when his mouth pressed sweet delicate kisses to the nape of my neck. "For dessert..."

"I assume I know what you're having for dessert."

Michael's green eyes sparkled with mischief. "I'll make it fun."

"You better."

"Mm..." He pressed a lingering kiss to my lips. "Now go pass time with Micah or someone whilst I pack my things. I'll be ten minutes." 

He turned me by my shoulders and-

I gasped when he gave my rear a light smack; although light, I still skipped a step forward with a scowl. "You asshole."

"You don't usually complain, Dimples. Micah's waiting for you." His laugh could be heard even outside of the classroom. Micah stood at the corner of the hall talking, or should I say being yelled at, by Katherine.

I slowed and narrowed my gaze at them. Kate looked to be red faced as she spoke to him and although she looked angry, the slow stretch of his smile was unmistakeable. The height difference between them made the scene almost comical. A five foot seven woman speaking sharply to a man over six foot. I stopped to watch them, slightly closer than before so now I was in earshot:

"...you smiling? I'm yelling at you for goodness sake."

"Yelling is the arguable word." 

It looked like Kate was ready to stomp her feet like a petulant child but she huffed and shook her head instead. "See you around."

A smile started to quirk at my lips when Micah lifted his tanned hand and brushed it along Katherine's cheek. Micah usually did that endearment on most of us, even Pam. A touch for Micah was, in a way, replacing the sense he'd lost. He relied on touch as well as scent so I wasn't at all bothered by it and neither was anyone else.

But by the way Katherine's face took on a pinker shade washing away the angry red, it looked like she was definitely bothered. 

"Goodbye Katherine."

Oh, that man. Even I swooned. Micah was a handsome man and his smile and laugh was enough to make anyone smile and laugh. I wasn't surprised that she didn't notice me as she speed walked past me down the hall.

Micah turned his ear toward me before chuckling. "And hello, Evie. Eavesdropping are we?"

"I'm intrigued. Kate seemed..."

He rubbed his free hand over his rough jaw and said, "Angry?"

"I was going to say flustered. You can explain to me what you did whilst we wait in the cafe." I slipped my arm through his.

That knowing smile graced his mouth. "Long story short, I pissed her off."

"How?"

He grinned wider. "I did what not a lot of witches can do. I bypassed her visions, took her off guard and asked her to join me for dinner."

My eyes widened and I couldn't contain my laughter. "No wonder she's pissed."

**

In the three years I've known Michael, he has been the only one to continuously tease me about my dimples. 

I forced a fake yawn and smiled at him. "Are you done?"

"For now." He chuckled taking out his vintage bottle of Don Perignon. Already, we'd finished one bottle of  red wine waiting for the pizza to be delivered. An hour had passed waiting on this damn pizza and it was almost nine o'clock. I was giddy from the wine, hungry for pizza and ready to devour my boyfriend.

All night he'd practically teased me in his tight dark blue dress shirt, his jean clad legs and his 'just jumped out of the shower and towel dried my hair' hair.  

"To think," I said as he filled my glass. "All those years ago one of the first things you'd complimented me on was my dimples."

"Because every time they winked at me I wanted to kiss them."

I took a generous sip of the wine and savoured the sweet and tangy taste of it. 

"Inherited, remember?"

"From your mother, I could never forget." I caught his smile as he started to pour his own.

"It'll pass down to..." I stopped myself.

And he'd stopped pouring his drink.  Ah, hell.

"And I've ruined the night." No more wine for me.

He spun around. "You didn't. We haven't talked about it properly..."

"And we don't have to now. Remember we agreed to talk after this is over? I'm sorry I mentioned it." I stood from my seat at the island and rounded it to stand in front of him. "Am I forgiven?"

At first, it looked as if he wanted to question me further. The fire and curiosity within his eyes disappeared but not completely. Sooner or later, we'd have to talk about it properly. Honestly I wanted to talk about it. The idea of a child that looked as beautiful as Michael sounded wonderful. And I wasn't going to be getting any younger... or older for that matter.

"Of course," He kissed my lips and hummed. "This pizza is taking so long that I'm aching to skip to dessert."

"Mine or yours?"

His sparkling green eyes pointed to the whipped cream can behind me. "Both."

But as our luck has it, as he bent his head to greedily feast on my lips, the doorbell rang. I sighed and reached into his back pocket for the money. "I have a pizza to pay for."

"Keep digging and you'll find the change."

I searched both empty back pockets with my hands and grinned. "You have no change."

"Oh, dang. It's in my front pocket."

I squeezed his delectable derrière before turning on him and walking away. "Sneaky aren't you?"

I opened the door with a smile and greeted the delivery guy. He looked about seventeen, he probably was. He handed me the pizza and I placed it on the side to count the bills.

"Ah, I don't have any change on me. Do you have change for a twenty?"

"Sure."

I held out the bill and waited for him to take it except he just stared at it. I tilted my head at him and looked down at it as well. "Something wrong?"

The blonde shook his head. "No." But he just continued to stare at it. Slowly, I stretched my arm out further under the porch light and watched him take it. His fingers fumbled into the front pocket of his jeans to count the change and I kept my hand in the same position. As he moved his hand over mine I brought my hand closer to my body.

Back over the threshold.

He paused and darted his gaze from my hand to my eyes before laughing. "Oh, sorry I forgot to put in another dollar-"

"Keep the change." I said and shut the door in his face. 

I walked into the living room with the pizza aware my heart was beating a mile a minute and Michael frowned. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"We have a problem."

His eyes darkened. "What?"

"Tell me, do vampires around Burnaby usually deliver pizza or are we just that lucky?"

He cursed under his breath and I remembered something else: "Oh and I gave him the twenty dollars. So no change for you."

_________________________

See, I know HOW I want this to end and HOW the middle will go but the problem for me right now is the leading up to the events and I feel I'm skirting around it a little. So sorry if it's a little bland right now but I PROMISE it gets better!

So: What'd you think of Micah asking Kate out haha!

And the fact Michael and Evie argued? Shows they aren't always perfect.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

330K 19.1K 36
[BOOK THREE] "Falling in love was never a plan, Minnie." I sighed, fingers reaching up to rub my temples as I blinked my very translucent eyelids...
12M 574K 127
[COMPLETE] Some bonds can't be broken, even in death. -- He couldn't endure another heartbreak. "Accepting her would be a mistake," he said. "She's a...
1.9K 140 21
Here is the third and final book of my fanfictions I have been writing. The first book was Twilight: Reborn. Second, Twilight: Remember Forever. A...
262K 14.2K 37
***Part 2 in the Zone Zero series*** ***MATURE CONTENT INSIDE*** Do not read this first. please read Zone Zero and then read Redemption. Otherwise it...