Paul Lantar

Da ThomasBerryman

In Contro City people disappearing or winding up dead was not out of the ordinary. One photograph in the news... Altro

Paul Lantar
Chapter 2 - Poetry and Movies
Chapter 3 - The Boxer's Last Fight
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Bonus Chapter.
Re-writes

Chapter 6

2.9K 73 11
Da ThomasBerryman

It was freezing cold, and the room was pitch black. Paul lay still absorbing the chilli atmosphere. Veena’s smooth leg was over his, and it was entirely bad it felt quite nice. Every now and then she would move it slightly, as if to draw him closer. His mind was elsewhere though trying to think of everything to appear as normal, as possible and drop his noticeably meticulous ways.

 The investigation was two weeks in, and Bill Darsen had already connected Caesar to the serial murders. Paul was intrigued how he had pieced together the third part of the puzzle so quickly. Though thankfully number one the backpacker wasn’t a piece to be added yet. This wasn’t a surprise the backpacker was travelling around the country for a few more months, as far as his family knew.

He was also certain Alvin’s right hand man; Angelo had been following him since Paul’s last encounter with the head of the church. He didn’t like it one bit, but also had no proof if he was being paranoid, or not. All he knew was that he needed to keep him away from Veena, and Carina.

Veena placed a hand on his chest, and he didn’t even cringe.

Just keep it there.

So far Paul had managed to bearably participate in the day-to-day activities of his peers. This meant training with both Veena, and Carina, getting frozen cokes, watching movies, being in photos, making a Facebook profile, and going to poetry readings. Building a network of friends through his sister had also become a necessity, much to his displeasure. Carina gladly invited Paul along to their hangouts, when he told her he needed some guy friends so Veena didn’t think he was a weirdo.

Veena’s hand moved down a notch toward his stomach region.

 You were doing fine before.

He was currently studying different ways of controlling, and manipulating the people around him better. One technique he was trying was to develop someone’s self value. The theory was that if you were part of a person’s personal development they would feel more attached to you, and were more likely to be easier to manipulate. Veena was the human guinea pig unknowingly.

Paul’s thoughts shifted back to Bill Darsen extraordinaire. How did you do it so quickly?

 Veena’s hand moved down again, this time closer to his groin region.

 Okay probably not appropriate to think of Bill Darsen right now. Does she have to do this every time I’m thinking?

 The bald unorthodox criminologist who specialized in serial killers could wait until morning to enter Paul’s mind.

“Paul wake up!” Carina’s voice echoed. 

His eyes stirred, and he used a free hand to shield his face from the sunlight that beamed through the blinds his sister just opened.  Paul looked down at himself, and Veena they were both naked with no sheets on.

“Hey!” he stretched the sheet from under Veena to cover his privates.

“Grow up, I’ve seen it before,” Carina rolled her eyes, “Guess who is downstairs?”

“Who?”

“Jackson!”

Paul rubbed his eyes, “Can you stop yelling?”

Carina jumped up and down with excitement, Jackson their older brother who had been holidaying overseas for the last six months.

Great another person to appear normal for.

Paul made his way to the table for breakfast with the family. His brother shook his hand excited to see him, “Hey Paul…got a girl up there I hear, good man,” he pulled a chair out for Paul to sit on.

“Uh, yeah. Veena she should be down after,” Veena entered just as he finished talking.

“Or now.”

 “You must be Veena,” Jackson opted to give her a hug rather than a handshake. He was much more comfortable around People than his younger brother.

Now she will definitely see how different I am.

 “Oh, and I’m guessing you are Jackson,” Veena smiled.

 Breakfast was awkward for Paul, as he and Veena were the topic of conversation. Just when he thought it couldn’t get any worse, Jackson had to mention the new serial killer that had the city in a fright.

 “Probably some guy who was bullied all of his life, bad family, and lives alone in some creepy apartment is my guess,” Jackson said with a mouthful of bacon. 

Lets hope that’s the general assumption.

 “Yeah, probably,” Paul looked at Veena noticing how comfortable she was around everyone.

 “Jackson, you want to come running with us this afternoon?” Carina beamed.

 “Of course."

 For fucks sake, Let’s get everyone involved shall we?

 “Me and Veena can’t come, we got that thing remember?” Paul shot Veena a quick look hoping she’d play along. 

“No that thing was cancelled," she smiled at Paul apologetically. 

Uh.

“Oh right, the thing. What scared of a little competition Paul?” Jackson mocked.

Jackson was much bigger than Paul he was built, but was also an avid runner he could beat his younger brother easily.

“No.”

“Or you just don’t like people still? You know what, sometimes I think you’re a serial killer,” Jackson joked.

“Jackson,” their mother scolded him.

“Ha that’s funny I was just saying that to him the other day,” Veena had to join in.

I need another victim; this entire fitting in thing is getting tiresome.

“Yeah, I’m the cities serial killer,” Paul said, sarcastically rolling his eyes.

 “Paul don’t joke about things like that,” his father warned, “I hope they get that scumbag who killed those people.”

 “Hang the scumbag to,” Jackson agreed with his father.

 Settle down.

 “What kind of person does that, they must have had a distraught childhood,” their mother added to the conversation.

 Oh terrible…

 “Hey, I think they’re talking about it now,” Jackson was looking over Paul’s shoulder at the television with Bill Darsen talking.

 “Turn it up,” their mother frantically ordered.

 Paul did the honours of course.

 “We believe the person who has committed these horrendous crimes, is to be in their mid thirties, or early forties. We also believe the person to be a Caucasian male, and someone who blends in quite well. Anyone who is approached by a person they do not know is advised to notify the authorities right away, and get as far away as possible, preferably to a public place. Don’t travel anywhere alone, and avoid dim lit places at night. I have full confidence in my hand picked team, and together with the help of the cities police force, we will unravel the dark events that have transpired in recent times,” his voice was powerful, and very certain.

 Paul was clutching his fork tightly he was on edge. What gave this man so much confidence in his abilities? Paul couldn’t shake the man out of his head he felt like he was being exposed.

 Why did Candy have to be so intrigued, and ruin everything? She wasn’t even meant to be number four. I would have found another female, one that would raise less suspicion.

 “Now that’s someone who knows what he’s doing,” Jackson said admiringly.

 “Who?” Paul quickly looked at his older brother.

 “Bill Darsen.”

 “Oh yeah…you think so?” Paul tried to keep his voice steady.

 “I know so,” apparently everyone else at the table seemed to think so to.

 Well Bill Darsen is looking for a man in his mid thirties…good luck to him.

After breakfast Paul, and Veena made their way back to the bedroom. He made sure it was pitch black, and freezing cold again, just how he liked it. They snuggled up under the blankets, and he listened to Veena’s poetry book ideas.

 Caucasian male in his thirties…Angelo is in his thirties. If he is following me it wouldn’t be too hard to contaminate the crime scenes with his presence. Okay bad idea, it would still lead back to me. Fuck.

The daily run was late the four of them left the house at six o’clock. Their mother had informed them to stay close since there was a serial killer on the loose.

Under the current circumstances I’m probably the safest person for them to run with. 

Carina decided to run at the back with the unfit Veena, while Paul and Jackson competed for first place at the front.

“You been to any good parties lately?” Jackson was fitter then Paul had remembered.

 “Not lately,” Paul wasn’t lying, he never went to parties and thankfully neither did Veena.

“We should hit one up soon,” Jackson was a party animal.

“Uh maybe,” Paul tried to sound keen.

“Which party?” Carina called out.

“Don’t know yet. You will come won’t you?” Jackson looked back over his shoulder.

“Of course…and Paul you’re not getting out of this one we will all go,” Carina looked at Veena, but she was barely keeping up with running and couldn’t answer.

 Why does being normal have to be so hard?

 “I’ll go if Veena wants to.”

 “Tight leash,” Jackson laughed.

 Paul and Jackson started sprinting as they entered their street. Paul gave everything he had but Jackson was too damn fit, and fast. He was breathing rapidly, and angrily as Jackson cockily began stretching on the front yard. “What have you been doing all this time?”

 Killing people.

 A few minutes later Veena, and Carina joined them and scolded them for taking off.  They all got inside just in time for the latest news update on the serial killer hunt lead by Bill Darsen. Paul sat on the floor covered in sweat; it was already hard enough to breathe after a good run without having to wait in suspense for details.

 Come on.

 The update wasn’t what Paul was expecting, though he shouldn’t have been surprised that Bill’s team had found the last place Candy was seen. Inside the cinema the news team watched as detectives, and forensics searched the place for clues.

 All he would have had to do is learn her routine just like me, and that would of lead him there. I knew I shouldn’t have nabbed her from work.  

 The segment informed everyone that it would be difficult to find much evidence, due to the number of moviegoers each day. And business had gone on as usual at the cinemas since her disappearance. Paul felt his spirits rise slightly with this information.

 Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

Paul made his way up to the shower and stripped down briefly admiring his toned stomach area. He went to lock the door, a habit he had whenever entering a room only to have it creep open. Veena stood there with a towel, bearing a cheeky grin. She stripped off, and made her way in to the shower while Paul watched not knowing what he was meant to do.

 He looked on, as she rubbed soap all over her body. Paul didn’t know if Veena was trying to tease him, but she was stirring something up inside. Without further hesitation he joined her under the warm water, he pulled her hair back over her shoulders and kissed her. 

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

The Whole Truth Da jaxharlow

Mistero / Thriller

434K 20.2K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...