A Love Worthy

By inkzerospace

Ginelle Hayes is orphaned, and after escaping her abusive guardian with a dark secret, she finds herself alon... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Three

231K 9.2K 2K
By inkzerospace

 *AUTHOR'S NOTE* - There is a lot of confusion regarding Ginelle and Dorian's age so I thought I'd clarify. At the beginning of the story Ginelle is 14 yrs. and Dorian 20 yrs. (though I do not state his age). In this chapter you'll find letters from Eloise to Dorian and within these letters a 4 year span transpires. At Dorian's return, he is now 24 and Ginelle 18 yrs old. I hope this has helped with some of the confusion.:) 

            The next few months passed in a blur of eagerness and excitement for Ginelle. It was almost as if she and Eloise were beloved kindred for they spent every minute of every day together. They spent hours on her lessons, Eloise claiming that she should have had an education at the early age of six or seven. There was much to be learned and Eloise was as ardently to teach as Ginelle was to learn.

            Eloise had started with the basics. Ginelle was taught to read and write and than eventually when she mastered that, they moved on to reading. She began with simple material until she accomplished it and moved on to more difficult text. Eloise was amused by Ginelle’s appetite for knowledge and impressed by how quickly she adapted to her schooling. She had an absolute desire to learn and study new and exciting things despite beginning at a later age.

            She became well equipped in the knowledge of a domesticated gentlewoman and that in which was required. She excelled in arithmetic and literacy and grew accustomed to polished manners. She had an innate capacity to learn, absorbing all the skills taught to her. She relished in the art of dance and took immense delight in music; she was taught needlework and despite pricking her fingers numerous times she was fascinated in learning something new.

            Time all but ceased to exist as the months passed in haste and soon a year was upon them. Along with her wide varieties of education, she was instructed on etiquette and the proper apparel for certain occasions. Eloise kept her well informed on housewifery skills and managing her own estate one day. Secretly, Ginelle vowed that, that day would not come. She vowed never to belong to a man who would control and possess her. The very thought disturbed and frightened her.

            They spent much time in the garden, reading poetry and discussing art and music. They attended the opera and when the weather was warm and inviting, they went horse back riding.

            Ginelle valued all the knowledge given to her, including every moment she and Eloise shared, delighting in the happiness they shared. Even Lucile was beginning to show signs of warmth, occasionally her thin mouth would lift in a reluctant smile despite her impassive manner. Ginelle had learned much of the older woman who protectively followed in Eloise’s shadow. Lucile cared for Eloise as if she were own.

            Pierino was still a consistent fear in the back of her mind, always a shadow, haunting her dreams, reminding her of her self-worth and at times dragging her back to the bottomless pit of oblivion. Every night, her dreams were plagued with sharp, black eyes and large hands, reaching to steal her from Eloise. She eagerly learned as much as she could in hopes that one day she could defeat her demon and be relieved of her nightmares.

20 November, 1814

            My dear Dorian-

                        I pray that you are safe, dear brother and that my letter reaches you in good time. I fear the day that I will no longer receive your letters, though they are a great comfort to my heart but a distinct reminder that you are away. A year has already transpired and much has happened. Ginelle is excelling exceptionally in her studies, her eagerness for knowledge is limitless. She and I have grown inseparable. I find myself adoring her more each day; I dare say we have become much like sisters.

            I pray the weather at sea isn’t too dreadful. I have yet to hear of the wellbeing of your crew and if you have found your vessel. I know that the good Lord keeps you safe and guides your path but I am anxious for the day of your return.

With love,

 Eloise

5 June, 1815

 My dear Dorian-

            It is good to hear that the weather is pleasant at sea. Though I have never been fond of traveling, I’m sure the Atlantic is a beautiful sight beneath the sun. I am relieved to hear that you have retrieved your vessel but terribly disturbed that you have yet to hear of your crews’ whereabouts. I will continue to remind you that I greatly disapprove of your journey and I am in constant fear for your safety. Your letters put me at ease if only for a short period of time until I am anxious for the next. I insist you put an end to this frivolous pursuit. I know your pride would not allow it but I’m asking you to allow the authorities to handle the man that which you hunt. I fear the day that you are forever lost to me.

With love,

Eloise

25 October, 1815

My dear Dorian-

            The weather here has changed along with the trees. Ives has purchased new laborers for the fields; he keeps me well informed. Ginelle and I went riding yesterday. There was a slight chill in the air but the ride was pleasant nonetheless. Lady Margaret Bennett hosted a ball in honor of Elizabeth’s coming of age. I would like very much to do the same for Ginelle. There has been much gossip about my ‘ward’. I keep her status very discreet. Neither she nor I are concerned with the loquacious ton.

Having her here brings much assuagement of my worry for your wellbeing. I pray every day that your journey is a safe one. 

With love,

Eloise

24 January, 1816

My dear Dorian-

Ginelle continues to excel in her studies. I know that you were against the idea of her staying here with us but she has brought much light into my life. You do not know the happiness she gives me.

I’ve seem to have caught a mild cough. It is nothing to concern you with but at times I find it extremely bothersome. Though there has been much frost on the land and I believe I might have caught a slight chill. I am anxious for your return, dearest brother.

With love,

Eloise

14 March, 1817

My dear Dorian-

            This will be my last letter to you and it bears unfortunate news. I have kept this from you for some time and please do not be angry with me for doing so but I know the extreme guilt that weighs heavily upon your shoulders and the lives that depend on you, but I’m afraid my condition has worsen and there is not much that can be done. I am very ill and have been for some time. It appears my health has been deteriorating without my knowledge and only recently has plunged for the worst. I struggle now in writing you this letter. I have just recently been bedridden, ordered by the doctor to remain as I am. We are at a loss to the sudden mysterious illness that has claimed my health. Ginelle reads to me every day, her presence is a comfort beyond means but my heart aches for your return. Please, return to me in haste, so that I may spend my numbered days with those I love. I fear time is of essence.

 Love always,

 Eloise

 **********

            Nearly three years have passed since she had been brought to the plantation and much has changed. She had been given a formal schooling and taught the essentials of managing a household and the basics of etiquette. She learned to understand novels, plays and even complex literature that she never dreamed of understanding let alone read. She took a keen interest in music and had become quite adapt to the piano. She felt as though she had no limit as she accepted and viewed each task as a challenge to be accomplished. But nothing had prepared her for the devastation of heartache.

          Her body was numb and she felt a distinct wetness on her cheeks as she stared at the woman sleeping in the large bed. Lucile stood in one corner, the elderly maid struggling to hold her distraught at bay. Ginelle reached out and gently brushed a strand of hair from Eloise’s face. She felt her heart splitting within her chest, a definite crack that was deafening to her ears. She was unaware that she wept for her eyes remained fixated on the woman who had given her so much within three years. She had grown to love Eloise, despite her mistrust of strangers. Eloise was the mother and sister she never had. She was her mentor; her beloved companion.

        A sob erupted from her throat and she choked back the tears that stole the breath from her lungs. Her hands trembled as she brought the coverlet up to Eloise’s chin. She appeared serene and yet, it wasn’t Eloise. She was frail and frighteningly gaunt. Her cheeks were pale and sunken, the faint blush that enhanced her ivory beauty all but gone. Her hair no longer pinned in defiant curls now lay dispersed in disarray across her pillow. Her labored breathing indicated that the chest pains had returned. The suffering her beloved friend endured left Ginelle feeling utterly and hopelessly helpless. How could she show Eloise the same compassion and care she had shown her?

        A sudden moan of pain jarred her alert and she stiffened as she reached out to clasp Eloise’s hand as those blue eyes fluttered open, the glint of life fading from those azure depths.

            “I am here, Eloise.” Ginelle said softly, her voice cracking with despair as Eloise’s face contorted with pain.

            Despite her suffering, Eloise smiled gently as her eyes shuddered closed for a brief moment before opening to rest on Ginelle. “Do not weep for me, sweeting.” Her voice was faint, barely audible for the illness was there in her weakened tone. She reached up with a frail, trembling pale hand and tenderly brushed the tears from Ginelle’s cheek.

            “What s-should I do?” Ginelle cried painfully, “Tell me what I can do?” Ginelle gripped those frail hands in her own, clinging to Eloise as though to prevent death itself from stealing her friend away. “Please Eloise.” She felt her chest tightening with desperation.

            Eloise took a moment to bring air into her lungs before speaking, “You have mend me in ways that I thought could not be healed.” She cupped Ginelle’s face with her trembling, clammy hand, “You have brought me much love and happiness. You are my sister.” Her arm grew heavy and she lowered it back to the mattress.

            There was a shuffle outside the door and Lucile rushed from the corner to stand at her mistress side. Ginelle continued to grip that frail hand in her own, her eyes resting on Eloise, unaware of anything but her beloved sister.

            Belle, the chambermaid suddenly appeared, her eyes glistening with tears for fear that her mistress has already passed. She spared a desperate glance at the bed. “What is it, Belle?” Lucile demanded.

            “Master Dorian.” She said anxiously, “He’s arrived!”

            Lucile pressed a shaky hand to her ample bosom and ushered the frantic maid from the chamber. “Go now and find the doctor.”

            Ginelle heard nothing as she struggled to control the flood of emotions consuming her.

            As the abrupt sound of footsteps ascended from the hall, Eloise whispered, “Do not be afraid to give your heart away, Ginelle.”

            Lucile moved forward, gently placing her hands around Ginelle’s shoulders and pulled her to her feet. Ginelle grasped Eloise’s hands until they were wrenched away.

            The door suddenly crashed open, jarring her back to the severity of the situation and the hands gripping her trembling shoulders. Her vision blurred as a man enclosed the space from the door to the bed with abrupt haste, instantly falling to his knees to grab the hands that she had been holding moments ago. The doctor, a short and small man with a peaked nose shortly followed, carrying the leather bag that contained the tools he had examined Eloise with earlier.

            “Come, my pet.” Lucile said softly as she gently urged Ginelle from the room where the servants huddled, some weeping softly on the shoulders of others while several stood frozen, their faces pale and fearing the worst.

            The image of Eloise lying lifeless with eyes no longer blue as the sky struck her with such force that her knees gave way as she released a heart-wrenching sob and tears flooded uncontrollably. She heard a number of gasps erupt around her and Lucile’s voice as they scrambled to catch her falling body. A man appeared at her side and as the hall spun widely out of place she was able to catch a glimpse of his face but his name would not register as she slipped into darkness.

            “You are here.” The words were released on a strained gasp as Eloise attempted a smile and studied the man kneeling at her side, gripping her hand tightly. A strong, callused hand reached up and gently brushed her cheek as beads of perspiration dotted her forehead and trickled down her throat. She swallowed as a severe dryness lingered in her throat, fearing it would bring on a fit of coughs that had plagued her for several months. Her chest rose and fell with increasing difficulty for each breath brought pain as her body trembled violently. She forced a smile to her lips, wanting to ease the fear that dwelled in the depths of those glacial, blue eyes.

            “Nothing would keep me from you.” His voice strained against the rising storm of affliction. His face darkened with intense wretchedness as his body stiffened with anguish and the room around him seems to grow dull and colorless, his vision suddenly gray.

            Eloise reached out and gently tugged a strand of black hair from Dorian’s face. “Do not grieve for me, frère.” She paused as she struggled to bring air back into her lungs. Dorian tensed, his heart pitching in his chest but those blue eyes turned back to him, “This is a bittersweet blessing.”

            His body went rigid and his dark features contorted as he was seized with maddening grief. “I will be reunited with Philip and my child.” She smiled as her eyes became distant as if peering upon those very faces.

            “Eloise-“

            “Promise me that you will abandon your reckless ways.” Tears trickled from the corners of her eyes and fell to wet the pillow. Her voice broke as her fingers tightened around Dorian’s. “Promise me that.” She pleaded.

            “I promise.” He leaned forward and kissed her forehead, closing his eyes against a wave of despair threatening to consume him. He leaned back to peer down at her as she whispered one last request as a haze of pain clouded her eyes. Her fingers tightened a fraction as her plea was released on a painful breath. “Take care of Ginelle. For me, please Dorian.”

            Dorian went numb as the smaller hand in his own went limp, the passion for life slowly fading from her eyes as her head lolled to one side and she breathed her last breath.

            A swift and unexpected pain seized his chest as the blood rushed from his face. He was gripped with an insensibility that seeped to the bone and he sat frozen, holding that still hand as if compelling her back to life. His body shuddered with an overwhelming darkness, a swallowing blackness that came from deep within. He loosened her hand and stood to his feet, his conscience barely assessing the grieved faces surrounding him as someone, a maid, released a cry of anguish.

            It wasn’t until strong, reassuring fingers gripped his shoulder that he was pulled from desolation. He averted his gaze from the bed to Lieutenant Cummings and allowed the man to take him from the room as the doctor paused at the door to examine Dorian if only for a brief moment before entering the room.

            Once in the hall, he wrenched away from Cummings as a dark and ominous cloud enveloped him in a shroud of raw pain. Cummings stepped aside as his gaze followed Dorian’s rigid back down the hall, a minatory darkness following in his wake.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 4.7K 87
|COMPLETED| >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alexandrea Dwayne is a seventeen-year old girl who suffered abuse at the hands of the man who raised her. After the man...
Hunger By Rose Autumn

General Fiction

135K 6.6K 56
Thank you to @_munroe for the new cover! Austin is on the run after kidnapping his little sister, "Pixie", the only thing he cares about and the onl...
16.3K 738 36
Samantha Beales is a rape victim. Dorian King has an equally disturbing past. Can they heal each other's wounds and find happiness as a strong unity...
77.5K 4.8K 33
Sirrah Keyarra Torielle Winters is adopted by a wealthy family at the tender age of five. It is a dream come true until her peers begin ridiculing he...