In French

By YaaelzOLDACCOUNT

When Rosanna is allowed to go to her first ball she's excited to show off her new shoes, little does she know... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty one
Chapter Twenty two
Chapter Twenty three
Chapter Twenty four
Chapter Twenty five
Chapter Twenty six
Chapter Twenty seven
Chapter Twenty eight
Chapter Twenty nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty one
Chapter Thirty two
Chapter Thirty three
Chapter Thirty four
Chapter Thirty five
Chapter Thirty six
Epilogue

Chapter Three

957 20 6
By YaaelzOLDACCOUNT

    Months passed and my fourteenth Birthday came and went with a flourish of fireworks. Nothing in particular happened until  my fourteenth year was nearly up. My parents had been discussing in secret more frequently so I was hoping for a reunion with a humiliated Senorita Dulcinia to be sent packing. This was not the case.

    The youngest of my two brothers; Dion was getting married. Everyone in all of Andorra was inflated full of happiness and delight for his nearly to-be bride. It was, in fact, the next day. I was all set to be a bridesmaid. From her portrait the princess was blonde, fair skinned with long slender features. “She looks like a swan,” Dion had remarked softly once he’d first set eyes on the picture.

    “You will be suited well to princess Nikola, I feel,” Madre had told him.

    It was late autumn and the leaves were gone leaving a sludgy pile of orange at the bottom of the trees. It had done nothing but rain for three whole days leaving a muggy, grey air about the place. “Madre?” I asked, looking up from painting a plate. Not that I was any good, I had neither the patience or the steadiness for such an activity.

    “Yes, Anna?”

    “Can we get a dog?” It had been over a year by now since I had met Philip and since then I had not seen him once. Not that my mind hadn't been thinking of him. Frustratingly I found that my thoughts would often skip back to that night and the precious few moments that we had shared together.

    Madre laughed, “Don’t be absurd! Of course we cannot.” My forehead creased, bottom lip jutting out into a pout before surily questioning for a reason. “Because dogs live for about ten years and I am not counting on you living here for that long.”

    “I could take him with me,” I told her hopefully, sitting a little further forward in my seat.

    “Do not argue with me,” Madre's word was final and her expression was downright frightening!

 ******

    Dion’s marriage was beautiful. The bride’s dress was not as skilfully made nor as divine as Katherine’s who was already expecting her first child. Nikola appeared nervous and agitated as she nearly stumbled down the isle. Senorita Dulcinia smirked through the entire ceremony, I had no idea what she was playing at but I could see that infuriating look out of the corner of my eye. 

    Once Dion had put the ring on Nikola's finger and kissed her on the cheek a lot of the pressure evaporated. There was still the night ahead which I was not dwelling on much. My mind was mainly on the vast gargantuate amount of food that was surely awaiting our arrival back at the palace. I could just about imagine all the different flavours and textures melting on my tongue, Josepha nudged me, hissing that I was daydreaming.

    I could not wait for the banquet or the dance. “The first dance will be magical,” Josepha whispered as we followed the procession out where the public of Andorra cheered and celebrated. The noise was unbelievable, the people worshiped us. We waved, smiling as we headed to the open topped carriages of gold where we returned to the palace. No one could say that we didn't travel in style!

    The newly married pair were greeted by endless amounts of cheers and mirth from outside the palace gates. When we went into the dining room there was one long vast table with so much food that I didn’t no where to begin. “I think I like marriages a lot too,” I whispered back to Josepha as my stomach timely rumbled.

    I sat fairly near to Dion and Nikola, the King did a nice short speech where he congratulated Dion on making a wise choice with Princess Nikola -as if Dion had any say in the matchmaking-. We ate until we were bursting then the first dance came. Dion and Nikola moved a bit awkwardly, probably a bit intimidated by finally being that close to one another. We all applauded then the ball began.

    I danced with a fine young gentleman who claimed that he was from the Spanish army. He danced well, holding me very lithely in his arms. I got rather drunk having the time of my life.

    When it was dark we went out onto the balcony watching the firework display over the palace garden and it was magnificent. “Your Highness,” Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I craned my neck to see a firry red headed girl in an emerald dress. She bowed her head to me, “I am the Duchess de Toures, France. You-You are Princess Rosanna, yes?”

    I tried to work her out but was too drunk so I just nodded tipping more wine down my throat, “I am.” And that was that. The Duchess was nineteen and very friendly. She was married to the fifty eight year old Duke and shuddered at the very thought of him. Talking in French to a French person about France made me remember the Dauphin, Philip. I ended up telling the Duchess about him. My big mouth made even more loose by the cloak of alcohol!

    Her face fell once I had finished, “You have not heard have you?”

    “What?” My eyes clung to her brilliant blue ones desperately, “What do I not know?”

    “The Dauphin is engaged, Your Highness.”

    My heart plummeted just like my jaw. I flicked out my fan, violently airing my face, “What do you mean engaged? To whom?” I persisted, trying to sound light and breezy but I couldn’t. The truth was I was winded, it was as if someone tied my corset that bit too tight.

    “To the princess of Denmark, Your Majesty. Her name is Myrtle.”

    “Myrtle?” I sounded the name out. “Myrtle,” the word curdled, souring the second time like rancid milk. “Princess Myrtle of Denmark.” Why had she come here just to tell me that? It had put a massive damper on what would otherwise have been a glorious day. Even the sun had made a majestic appearance lighting everything up making it look beautiful, “Oh, right.”

    “I’m sorry to have been the one to have told you,” She said bowing her head.

    “Why did you tell me at all?” I asked, sadness morphing all too quickly into irritation.

    “I thought that you ought to know,” She answered quietly, “I’m sorry.”

    “No, no. It’s fine. Just a shock that’s all,” I still could not breathe. “If you excuse me I think one has had enough of the fireworks,” I briskly turned storming away from the Duchess de Toures. I went straight to my chamber where in the room beside it my two maids including Eloisa were sat having a small game of cards. They jumped to their feet, the two maids bowed yet Eloisa did not. I saw her more as an equal than anything else. “Oh, I thought that you would be joining in the festivities,” I spoke flatly.

    Eloisa's rounded face puckered, “What’s happened, Anna?”

    “Nothing,” my voice cracked then I caved in. Begining to cry, Eloisa came over wrapping her arms around me. “Could someone run me a bath?” I asked in a croaked voice and heard feet moving as one of the maids hurried off.

    “What happened, dear?”

    “You’ll think me awfully silly and trivial if I tell you,” I sobbed.

    “Try me,” She spoke patiently.

    I pulled away wiping my eyes with the back of my hand, “You know over a year ago when the Dauphin and I spoke at the masked ball?” She nodded, “Well, he’s engaged!”

    “Oh, poor love,” She soothed, “That’s not trivial. That’s the heart.”

    “I know,” My voice pitched, “It’s just the heart shouldn’t be involved when you get married. You’re there to produce an heir with each other.”

    “Oh my, you have a lot to learn young princess,” Eloisa laughed softly. “Without your heart you are not alive. We rely on our hearts to be involved,” She explained, “What about the poor families-the peasants?”

    I sniffed unpleasantly, face creased in confusion, “What of them?”

    “Well, why do they marry?” She pushed.

    “It’s not the same!” I wailed dramatically, “The peasants do not have anything to start with. They have nothing to lose. And they’re not royalty. They’re the ones that need an heir for their future. For the country’s future.”

    “Your bath is ready, My Lady,” The maid said bobbing her head.

    “Thank you,” I bowed to Eloisa who nodded, we shuffled into my chamber where she helped unlace me and I sat in my stay in the warm bath. Rose petals had been scattered along the surface, “Can you thank the maid for me again?” I asked.

    “Of course. I shall go do that now,” Eloisa said. I relaxed in the water, running my hands through it, liking the sound it made. It would be alright. I didn’t really love the Dauphin, I had just took an interest in him. Nothing had even happened, no harm was truly done. He wouldn’t remember me, he just knew my name and that was it. If he liked me enough then he would have requested me. He probably thought I was too childish for the likes of him. Well, I did not need him either and would prove to him by getting myself a nice handsome prince.

    I decided then that I would no longer shy away from Madre when she wanted to discuss the topic but would get my act together to prove that I was a mature young lady that could handle the married life. With an aim in mind I closed my eyes sinking so that my chin poked in the warm water.

    I stayed in the bath until my fingers were like prunes and the water was tepid. I was wrapped up and dressed again as at any moment the final part of the marriage was about to happen and seal the deal.

    I did not particularly want to see my brother and Nikola consummate the marriage but the entire court was going to watch to make sure that it happened. Not to mention that it was the King's law. Without that solidification then an annulment could be made. It probably wouldn’t matter much to us apart from shame and humiliation but it would make a grand difference to princess Nikola’s family and if nothing else could humiliate them to the extreme, making her unable to ever marry.

    The covers were drawn back and in white nightgowns Nikola and Dion got into bed. The covers were pulled back up and the whole court watched on eagerly. I stood deliberately behind a wide and rather tall man so that all I could see was the top of the intricate golden bed and nothing else. Oh my, the intricate design was pretty spectacular now it had caught my attention. Some words of encouragement were called to Dion then an intake of breath. We heard Dion mutter something to Nikola.

 ******

    Weeks had passed and my fifteenth birthday was fast closing down upon us. Madre had insisted that we would not be making a fuss of it this year but how could she not? It wasn’t as if it would make a huge difference to her exorbitant pot of gold.

    It was breakfast, I was next to Nikola and Josepha. Nikola did not speak much Catalonian and even littler Spanish. We found it hard to communicate to her but Dion insisted that he did not mind for he could understand what she was implying. “Are you not thirsty?” I asked her.

    She stared at me focused as she tried to translate what I had said.

    I pointed at her, “Are you-” I mimicked holding a glass and drinking it, “-thirsty?”

    “Oh,” she said nodding as she understood. “Uh, no,” she shook her head, “Thank-we.” I think she meant thank you.

    I nodded and we smiled at each other. Despite not talking much I really was taken to her and tried to make her feel as comfortable as she could with people she could never really get to know because she couldn’t understand them. We ate in silence.

    “Jeanne, I’m getting you fitted for a new dress today,” Madre sniffed haughtily once we’d finished. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that Senorita Dulcinia had her hands all over the King. It made my stomach clench threatening to heave my strawberries and red wine back up. Nikola looked a little shocked that Padre had a mistress. Weren't we all Nikola, weren't we all.

    “Oh goody,” Jeanne clapped her hands as the plates were taken away.

    After breakfast Josepha, Nikola and myself went and listened to Josepha play the harpsichord. She was gifted at the instrument. She had tried to teach me many a time but I could not flit my fingers up and down the keys in the same beautiful melodic way that my sister could. She sung as well, she had a high, light voice that was very quiet. Like a hushed bird of the forest.

    “She’s good, is she not?” I exclaimed grinning at Nikola.

    “Good,” She said clapping her hands a few times to show that she was enjoying it.

    I jumped to my feet, pretending to dance with someone, “Care to dance?”

    “Me?” She managed pointing at herself in surprise.

    I nodded, beaming at her, “Yes. I can teach you if you are not any good.” I danced with the Dauphin. Get that thought out of my mind. She got to her feet and we placed our palms flat against each other and then began to turn and dance. Nikola had a brilliant time and for the first time since she arrived she laughed and laughed and laughed.

    Josepha cracked up giggling every now and again and we all had a brilliant morning. It was purely delectable. After that we watched out the window. It was wet outside, too wet for us to particularly want to go out there but it wasn’t that cold. It didn’t really get cold here in the winter, it just got extremely wet.

    Josepha and I taught Nikola to play gambling games which she very much enjoyed. It took a long time to teach her the tricks as she knew very little of our language. Still, we had fun and she laughed a lot and whenever she won –mainly when Josepha and I let her- her mouth dropped open in astonishment and she raised her hands in the air in triumph. I really wanted her to feel alright living here and wanted her to know how welcome she was. 

    Jeanne on the other hand liked it when she had all her siblings. Despite being desperate to get married herself she didn’t like the other half of Dion’s life and often sneered down her nose at Nikola. I took Nikola’s hand once when I caught Jeanne trying to turn her into her skivvy. “No, Jeanne.” And pulled Nikola away telling her slowly, “if Jeanne does anything like that you are to tell me, Josepha or Dion.”

    “Dion and Josepha?” She sounded confused.

    “Jeanne,” I pointed down the corridor to where Jeanne was. Nikola nodded. “Not allowed.” I shook my head. I motioned with my hand her speaking, “Me,” I pointed at myself, “Or Dion. Or Josepha. Yes?”  

    “Jeanne bad. Me, Josepha, Dion good,” She tried to repeat. When she said ‘me’ she actually pointed to me.

    I’d give her that, “Yes, good.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 2.7K 11
- ๐Š๐ˆ๐ƒ ๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘–๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜ ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘‘๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘  ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž...
69.8K 2.8K 21
โ”€โ”€โ˜… ห™๐Ÿ“๐‚๐‹๐€๐”๐ƒ๐„ ๐ƒ๐„ ๐€๐‹๐†๐„๐‘ ๐Ž๐๐„๐‹๐ˆ๐€ ๐— ๐…๐„๐Œ! ๐‚๐Ž๐๐‚๐”๐๐ˆ๐๐„! ๐‘๐„๐€๐ƒ๐„๐‘ ๐— ๐•๐€๐‘๐ˆ๐Ž๐”๐’(?) ฬŸ !! โDid the idea of being a pa...
Vanity By Santorina_4

Historical Fiction

2.9K 30 16
Fourteen year old Fabienne, Cousin to the King, is living in the lap of luxury in the french royal court of Versailles. Little does she know that she...