The Prophecy of the Fire Phoe...

By ThunderGryphon

Her final destiny was to complete The Prophecy of the Fire Phoenixes. And that was it - no reason to worry ab... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Fleeing Hunterless Woods
Chapter 2: The Lead Role of Vengeance
Chapter 3: The First Warning
Chapter 4: A Raging Devastation Coming Forth
Chapter 5: Ice
Chapter 6: The Phoenixes
Chapter 7: Vision
Chapter 8: The Truth Behind The Legends
Chapter 9: Strikimir's Revenge
Chapter 10: Fire Bird Aspect
Chapter 11: The Ring of Fire
Chapter 13: A Sudden Truth Unveiled
Chapter 14: A Surprising Small Ambush
Chapter 15: New Secrets Revealed
Chapter 16: Beyond All Realms
Chapter 17: Mourners
Chapter 18: Sleektalon
Chapter 19: Incident
Chapter 20: Attempts
Chapter 21: The Forbidden Punishment
Chapter 22: Learning of Ice Talons
Chapter 23: Shadow's Dream
Chapter 24: The Warning of Ice
Chapter 25: The Beginning of the Battle
Chapter 26: The Power of Fire Dragons
Chapter 27: The Legendary Vuldrix
Chapter 28: The Hybrid
Chapter 29: The End of the Battle; The Start of Reunions
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 12: Talios, The Traitor

58 1 0
By ThunderGryphon

    "What? WHAT?!" Canyon started screeching, "This can't be! I am a hawk, and he is a kite! And his soul is as dark as Ice Talon's! Perhaps even darker! How can I ever be related to that-that bastard!" She had fury in her eyes, her weak flames now growing more fiercer as Canyon got more agitated.

    "Shh! Canyon, not here!" Alabastorm said. "This is very much true, and there is no way to change this."

    "Hmphf!" Canyon huffed. "Well, then tell me about Talios, the Water-X!" Let's see if you can fight that!

    "Well..." He stared off into the distance. "Canyon, do you like stories? Perhaps legends?"

    Canyon was surprised at this question, her eyes widening. "Why, yes. Why ask me this?"

    "...Because I need to tell you a story about Talios's past. You'll understand better from a story."

    "Alright, then. Let's get to it!"

    Alabastorm took off into flight immediately, flapping up and away,slicing through the fire wires. Past the Ring of Fire. His flaming feathers floated softly to the ground.

    "Wait, where are you going?!" Canyon asked, confused.

    Alabastorm wheeled around in flight, arcing his flight road. "Just follow me. I know the perfect place for storytelling." Then he wheeled back around, and continued onward. 

   Canyon rolled her eyes, then followed him. They soared over volcanoes, which spewed lava, passed by the Shadow Phoenixes land, where young ones were practicing their elemental magic, and finally arrived at a massive library, which towered high into the skies. Alabastorm soared inside, and patiently waved Canyon to follow him.

    "Won't our fire burn the books?" She asked worriedly.

    "Nope. These books were given a fine coating of magic to help it withstand phoenix powers." And in he flew.

    Canyon slowly glided after him. Canyon gasped. Inside, stood towering stands filled with magnificent, golden colored books. Phoenixes of all types were soaring above, trying to pick out a book of their pickings.

    "This way!" Alabastorm said, waking Canyon from her looks of awe at the inside of the library.

    He pulled her towards a quiet looking area that was not bombarded with books. Sapphire perches stood there, with fire resistant diamonds embedded in them. Several phoenixes were already there - reading, and sleeping. Alabastorm took a perch at the far corner, so Canyon took one just right across from him.

    "Okay, Canyon. Do not tell anyone, and I mean anyone about this story. It's very secretive."

    Canyon nodded, eager to hear the story.

    "Okay, here goes Talios's story...

    "We rewind back to 3,400 years ago, when Talios was just but a tiny, well battle trained fledgling. He was aligned with Ice Talons, not knowing Ice Talon's true pure, innermost being nature. Perhaps Talios was just 12 years old at the time, blind to the real dragon.

    "'Ahem, King Ice Talons,' Talios said to Ice Talons, 'When can I join the Elite Quadrant Attack Force? 'Cause I feel like I'm ready!' He was very young, but very vigilant - always on top of things.

    "Ice Talons just grunted, then said, 'After you've finished your Advanced Tsunami Program.' Of course, you stupid chick! He seemed to say from his eyes. But all else, he mostly was encouraging and a great friend to have.

    "Talios fell silent, disappointed. So it seemed he was going to have to wait for a long time. 28 years, at the minimum, to fully be ready to master an attacking force. Talios was right now in the defending force.

    "Then an icy conch horn sound suddenly blew across the Ice Cliff Valley.

    "'We are being attacked by Fire Phoenixes, Titanium Phoenixes, Shadow Phoenixes, and Lightning Phoenixes!' Screeched a blood speckled Water-X that came at them, who was a guard at their barrier. She turned towards the defenders and offenders of their side. "Man your weopons! Hold your ground! We will not lose today!"

    "The ice border burst into flames. Water-Xs hurriedly flew there, only to be attemted to be struck down by the Lightning Phoenixes. The Titaniums engaged in battle with an Ice Dragon quadrants.

    "'We will win this battle! We will win this! And I will not only be held down by a couple of honored idiot birds!' Roared Ice Talons, determined to destroy them all. And his whole army charged straight into the heart of the battle.

    "Talios tried to fly over to his defense team, which was not doing so well. Young Ice Dragons had scorched scales, and young Water-Xs were bleeding from scratches. But the adult Ice Dragons drove the phoenixes away, doing a really great job of offending, so Talios and the others barely got to do anything for the rest of the time. Talios slowly strayed over to The Abandoned Ice Talon, sure that he was safe. But then he felt warmth at his back.

    "A Fire Phoenix slowly fluttered to him, lowering his weapon. He wore a golden helmet. He didn't seem like he wanted to pick a fight. In fact, he was about to say something when Ice Talons barreled into the Fire Phoenix, slamming it into the snow wall, making pieces of ice fall. Ice Talons crushed the phoenix under his claws, making the phoenix's eyes wince. Ice Talons was sweating a lot from fires, but his gaze held firm. His talons once more smashed the phoenix's helmeted head into the ice, growling. The phoenixes eyes went unreadable. When the phoenix regained his bearings, pure fear emanated from his eyes.

    "'Please, Talios!' The phoenix cried out, 'Your life is in danger with this side you currently stand with!' Ice Talons released the phoenix, then kicked him into the sharp daggers of ice below. Ice Talons dove at the phoenix, then caught him. He then slammed the phoenix once again into the ice.

    "Then Ice Talons plunged his right talons into the phoenixes guts. Talios closed his eyes, hearing horrid crunching and extinguished flame noises. When he opened them again, the phoenix had shriveled up into ashes, and Talios saw an orange colored orb float upward into the sky. That was the phoenix's spirit. But Talios stared at Ice Talons in horror. You were supposed to lock your gaze with an enemy you were about to kill if you had the chance, then kill them however you want. Ice Talons hadn't done the proper way. Ice Talons broke an ancient rule. You should at the least show some respect for your killing on the enemy. But this just shows that Ice Talons has no respect for anyone. Ice Talons just right on killed the phoenix.

    "'King Ice Talons!' Talios cried out, 'You did not do the proper way-'

    "Talios was cut off when Ice Talons produced a fire tong made of ice, and thrust Talios's neck between the tong, digging the sharp part into the ice, trapping Talios. Talios was trapped by the tong, and the ice, though it did not hurt at all.

    "'This is not for nobility, Talios. It is simply a faster way to kill an enemy. I don't care for the ancient rules, nor does my army. And they shouldn't! Why, if we did this, then the battle would still be going. I like a short, clean victory.' Ice Talons gestured towards the battle, and saw that Ice Talons had indeed won. Ashes, static electricity, pieces of metal, and black drops of remnants from the attacking phoenixes lie here and there, littering the area. Only a few Ice Dragons, and wounded Water-Xs lay here and there. Bloodied feathers floated everywhere.

    "Then Ice Talons materialized a blade of ice from the cliff, and pointed it at Talios's heart. 'You know, we don't survive and fight to be noble. We kill anyone without any vows, oaths, or anything. This is the way of the Age of the Ice, or the Ice Age.' Talios gulped.

    "Ice Talons took his blade away from Talios's heart, and plunged it deep into the ice. He grabbed the end of the tongs, eyes staring intently, and pulled it out. Talios fluttered upward out of Ice Talon's reach, but could still see him. Ice Talons put his face as close as he could to Talios, and with one icy eye, stared him down. 'You will say no more of this. And if I catch you doing this again, you will face the consequences.' He bared his teeth, making Talios gasp. 'End of discussion.' Ice Talons lifted off of the Abandoned Ice Talon, and flew towards his scattered allies.

    "Talios was fuming, both scared and shocked at the same time. He had never known about the Evil Ice Talons part. He was never told. But also, probably not trusted enough. Maybe he had to move up the ranks to learn that part of him. Maybe that was why the older, more experienced ranks cowered from Ice Talons more than the fledglings. So when evening came, Talios immediately went to sleep, thinking of that days' battle. And he had the worst dream yet, haunting him.

    "Ice Talon's eyes blazed an inferno of cold, ice blue. He was laughing evilly, down on all fours. He suddenly drew an Ice Blade out of the snow, and turned towards Talios. He raised his sword up above Talios, saying, 'Foolish little birdy. You never should've allied with me. I like killing fledglings, the taste of a baby, tender Water-X in my mouth. Prepare to meet your end.' The Ice Blade gleamed wickedly, Ice Talons clutched it in his mouth. Then he brought it down, down, down...

    "Talios woke up in a cold, shivering sweat. His feathers dripped of hot water. He was so shaken up, so Talios slipped out of his nest in a tree, and soared to the pond that was right next to his tree. He perched at the edge, unable to completely process his dream. Talios sighed, and stared thoughtfully at his reflection. The stars twinkled overhead, and he heard the soft, reassuring sound of a river somewhere nearby. This must've been an oxbow lake. Probably explains its weird shape. And the nearby river. So let's just call it a lake...

    "Suddenly, his reflection changed. His parents materialized right in front of him, obscuring his reflection. His parents, who were supposedly killed in a battle against the phoenixes when Talios was 3. Talios stared, aghast. He gasped, and was on the verge of tears. Then his father arose from the water, turning into mist.  When he spoke, his voice sounded like a faraway waterfall - whispy.

    "'Go to the phoenixes...'

    "'Why?' Talios asked, his voice quavering. 'The phoenixes were the ones who killed you. I shouldn't trust them.' Even as he said it, he himself doubted that it was true. His mother arose out of the lake, taking on the same, misty form as his father.

    "'There is a reason. A reason not unknown.' She said.

    "'This place is not right for you.' Talios's father said.

    "'This place is evil...' Talios's mother finished, and sank back down slowly. Talios turned to his father with pleading eyes.

    "'Talios, there is something that you must know.'

    "'I know, father.' Talios said. 'I'm trying.'

    "'Not that...' He said, 'Something else...' Talios's father waited, then said something more, 'Ice Talons killed us. Your fate is destined not to be ours...'

    "He sank back down into the waters, muttering, 'Don't make the same mistake as us, Talios. Make the opposite of that...' And then he disappeared.

    "Talios couldn't restrain the tears that came forth. His mother suddenly surged out of the waters, misty wings lifting up Talios's face to meet hers. 'Remember, sweet Talios. Remember, we will always be with you. Guarding you. Helping you.' She touched his heart, 'Within you...' And sank down, never to be reappeared.

    "Talios burst into another set of tears. He had seen his parents. Talios thought of what his parents had said. Ice Talons killed us. So the phoenixes were the ones truly to be trusted, not Ice Talons! What an idiot he had been! His sniffles and tears were suddenly replaced with a newfound rage reserved only for Ice Talons specially. He wanted to take on vengeance for his parents. He wanted to kill Ice Talons. Personally. He gazed up at the stars, and the moon. Tears slid down his feathery cheek. Please, he prayed at the stars, will my choice be right...Then the stars seemed to twinkle even brighter, turning a brilliant purple and blue.

    "Yes.

    "Talios was now truly crying. He was going to leave so many things behind - his friends, family (or at least, what was left of it)...and Ice Talons. No. They've all vowed to serve Ice Talons, and why should he care? Ice Talons was a lying, ungrateful Ice Dragon. Especially, Ice Talons the murderer. So Talios would have to go to the phoenixes. Tell them everything he knew. And be the ultimate traitor to the unforgiving side.

                                                                                               ~~~

    "Luckily, they excepted him. He didn't even realize how easy it could be. Yet, he was accepted. Talios felt warm, taken in like part of a big family, unlike back at Ice Talons. It was so cold there, but now he was at warmth with the phoenixes. For the first time of his life, he actually felt warm, because he was trapped in the cold, icy lands. Don't think of Ice Talons right now! Talios grit his beak. Think of the pleasures that await you.

    "The phoenixes were so happy to take him in. So happy.

    "Then Talios told them about Ice Talons, and his army - everything. He was a traitor, and he knew it. He'd never forget that. This is what his parents' past had lead him to. Leading a good, solid life...

    "A traitor, a traitor...

    "Oh, how disgusting that sound felt on his tongue, inside his head. It held words of fear, despair, and sadness...

    "A traitor, a traitor..."

    Alabastorm finished. So that was Talios's choice. He truly was one of the good phoenixes now. And now, Canyon had a real, living evidence that the legends were true. A real Water-X. A real, ultimate traitor to give up his kind for what was right and wrong. Talios was truly the wonderful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

333 38 34
"I felt so caged again, as if I had wings but I wasn't allowed to fly, a voice but I wasn't allowed to speak. It was a scary feeling at first, but la...
672 29 30
Yin and Yang. Light cannot exist without Darkness, and Darkness cannot exist without Light. However one such World defies these terms. This is the wo...
5.2K 208 36
A prophecy announced to all of Wonderland helped contribute to the murder of the Queen and the King, making everyone afraid. Conspiracy along with di...
66.8K 6K 67
Book 2 #19 in Fantasy #8 in action-packed #27 in dark magic #28 in fantasy-adventure Everything Celestia Armedes has ever come to know is crumbling t...