Return of the Fallen Angel: B...

By mountainlion2

Best rank in Science Fiction #138. The continuation of Kita's adventures. She meets new friends, explores new... More

X
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17

15

1.4K 55 2
By mountainlion2

Get Return (book 4 of the Ascension series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J25YJ7C

Kita woke up to a pain in her ear and the sensation of being jerked out of the bed. She tried to say something to Sarin who had started screaming through there connection, but the connection was broken before she could say anything. Still very much asleep she only caught glimpses of the world around her. Sleeping connected was incredible, but also made waking from it very harder. Gurney wheels, lab coats, and medical equipment went by in snapshot style imagery.

Pushed through a door, she landed in a heap in the hallway across the hall from the medical ward. Shaking her head trying to gain focus, the voice came through clear as a bell.

"Commandant Kita I don't care if this is your station. I will not put up with those kinds of shenanigans in my ward. This is a hospital and a place of healing. A high level of professionalism is expected by our patients and I am charged with maintaining the standards to meet those expectations. Commandant Sarin is here to rest and recover. When she is released you are free to do whatever unsavory acts you like somewhere else on the station."

Kita slowly stood up glaring at the head nurse. Not taking her eyes off the woman, she put her bandana back over her eyes. Her lip curled into a snarl as her fists clenched into tight balls. Her breathing came in short rapids bursts, blasting from her nose like an angry bull.

"Someone please get to the medical ward entrance right NOW before Kita destroys it." Omega yelled over the open airwaves.

The first responder hobbled as fast as he could through the door and frowned when he saw the two women squared off against one another.

"Nurse Appleton, what is going on?" Casa barked.

He didn't wait for an answer, he planted himself between them. He looked at Kita's broiling rage and took a deep breath.

"You let me handle her, alright? Don't do anything we all might regret."

Kita didn't respond, but didn't do anything either.

"What happened Nurse?" Casa demanded.

Nurse Appleton composed herself.

"I caught Commandant Kita and Commandant Sarin in bed together. That is totally against the policies of the ward. I will not tolerate her making a mockery of the ward with such outlandish and perverted behavior."

Above them a light exploded as the surfaces around Kita began to radiate warmly.

"We discussed this once all ready." Casa barked.

"Yes and see what it's led to? They feel that the ward is their own private bordello."

"Kita!" Nina called flying up to her.

She touched Kita and jerked her hand away.

"Holy stones you're hot. What's wrong?"

Kita didn't say a word, as light in the ward exploded.

"Nurse, that is totally uncalled for. I'm positive she was doing nothing more than comforting her partner. That is allowed for anyone who comes into the ward."

Katie and Anthrax arrived in time to hear the nurse's response.

"Partners, yes. No one told me I would have to worry about two grown women crawling into bed together naked. That behavior is totally unnatural and disturbing. It shouldn't be allowed to happen and it won't happen in my ward, Doctor."

A loud explosion shook that part of the station and the lights went out. Sirens sounded, and emergency doors slammed shut while the backup generators kicked on to power the ward. Emergency lights and equipment slowly came up beeping loudly. The staff scrambled to check their patients.

"Omega what happened?" Katie yelled.

"She overheated and blew the main control switch for this area of the station."

"Can you fix it?"

"No. I'll need a set of hands."

"I'm on my way." Katie yelled and nodded at Anthrax and flittered off as fast as she could.

"Nurse Appleton!" Anthrax yelled. "That is totally not necessary or acceptable. This ward is for everyone. Kita has every right to see her partner if she wants to. As long as she's not hampering the recovery effort she's free to share the bed with her."

"They must have only been sleeping. Kita's got her clothes on," Nina pointed out while doing her best to calm Kita.

"Doctor Anthrax you are hardly an unbiased opinion on the matter. I watched you kiss her earlier in that same suite. You shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine with such unprofessional behavior." The nurse retorted at Anthrax.

Anthrax's burning eyes became flaming jets.

The sounds of crashing metal, cries of alarm, mixed with a desperate hoarse wail. Sarin came crashing to the door dragging part of her wing splint with her.

"Kita? Where are you? What happened? Kita?" Sarin cried out frantically while tears soaked into the bandages of her face.

Kita put her anger aside and pushed her way to the scared angel.

"I'm here, Pretty Blackbird." Kita said as she reached her.

"Kita?"

Kita touched Sarin and felt them connect. Sarin was scared out of her mind. She quickly tried to calm the other angel.

"Is she alright?" Nina asked Kita.

Kita didn't respond.

Nina went to touch Kita, but Tina knocked her hand away.

"Don't touch. They're connected right now. You'll only interfere."

"Connected? They're touching sure, but...?" Nina asked confused.

"Kita, Sarin, and I are special. We can talk by touching. Being touched by someone else can disrupt the connection and it can be painful."

Tina had only ever experienced it once and it hurt plenty. Arriving late she wanted to know what had happened. It was something to do with Nurse Appleton from the way everyone was standing.

"I hope your happy Nurse," Anthrax's voice buzzed like a thousand insects, "If you'd left them alone we wouldn't have to spend hours fixing the station and repairing Sarin's riggings."

Tina nodded, "it's too bad Sarin's the one who's injured or I'd ask her to do what she did to Amber for you."

Appleton addressed everyone firmly. "It's their fault not mine. I am just dealing with a habitual offender of this wards policies. I have given her more leeway than I would for anyone and she keeps pushing, well no more. The line is drawn here. The girl is just scared from the lights and the sounds of her partner damaging the station."

"Are you going to be alright?" Kita asked Sarin.

"Yeah. You're not going far are you?"

"Five feet."

"Ok, I cannot see. Please don't go far."

"I won't. If I have to I'll send Tina or Nina."

"Ok."

"Love you."

"Love you. Kick her several times for me."

Kita let go of Sarin, who slumped against the door. Anthrax and Tina moved over to help her.

"Would you like to know why she's scared, Nurse Appleton?" Kita asked in a dead evil tone.

"I said why she is scared."

Kita's body was slowly engulfed by the black and the black cloud floated where she stood.

"She's scared because she is but a baby who had her mother ripped away while we slept. It is not just shock and confusion, but physical pain when our connection is not closed properly. We were woven together like fabric and you tore us apart. Your foolish act has injured her further and terrified her."

Nina, Casa, and Appleton looked at the floating cloud in front of them in wonder, intrigue, and disdain.

"Then perhaps you should find a better place and time to connect," Nurse Appleton replied.

Kita started to drift toward the nurse.

"Kita, stop." Tina ordered.

Kita continued to move forward. Tina didn't hesitate to change into her white cloud and caught her sister. The clouds broiled and roiled violently in a mixture of black and white. The mixture calmed and slowly churned. Two small balls separated from the combined cloud, one white and one black. The two balls sped away from the cloud toward Nina. Along their flight path they collided and combined into one ball before hitting Nina in the chest. The ball slowly disappeared. Nina shivered violently and sank to the floor, but after a minute she stood up feeling fine.

Kita and Tina separated and returned to their human form.

Tina spoke as sternly as anyone had ever heard her, "Doctor Casa, please escort Nurse Appleton back to the ward so she may continue doing her duties. Let this be the direst of reprimands Nurse Appleton. Next time I will let my sister have you. Believe me there is even a hell for holograms. You are also instructed to take a series of modern sexuality courses to help you better understand your patients."

"God himself doesn't understand any of you," Nurse Appleton whispered under her breath.

Tina ignored her, "when you're done Doctor we'll need a hand reconnecting Sarin's hardware."

"No problem. Come on, Nurse Appleton." Casa waved and pointed the way with his cane.

The angels helped Sarin back to her room. Kita helped as best she could to get Sarin set back up. She couldn't do much other than reassure the big angel it would be all right. When Kita finally left she left strict orders the Nurse Appleton wasn't allowed in that room without Doctor Casa or Doctor Harper with her.

As Kita left the medical ward she looked around and saw the nurse glaring at her. Kita shook her head at the nurse and then smiled. The nurse began to struggle and grab her throat. Staff rushed to her aid, but couldn't find anything wrong. Finally the nurse pitched forward and collapsed on the floor. A moment later the nurse dissolved. She reappeared in the same spot looking at Kita in disbelief.

Kita smiled and looked her in the eye, then mouthed the words, "I am god."

Kita stumbled into the viewing are to find the other angels already settled in. She thought maybe they had something better to do, but shrugged it off. There had been plenty to do already and they could use a break. Soon enough they'd be on the surface running ragged.

Frostbane must have come up at some point. The big bear was without is armour and sleeping soundly in his favorite place. Anthrax was in her favorite spot up against the bear. When she saw Kita come in she opened her arms and lap inviting. Kita smiled and took her up on it.

Tina was in her favorite seat sitting cross legged watching the movie intently. Katie was below her on the floor stretched out half paying attention to the movie, half playing with the feathers in Tina's wings. Kita wondered momentarily if in there on-again/off-again relationship they were on. Nina had taken the vacant coach. Stretched out looking over her feathers, she fussed over them. Kita wondered why she hadn't gone to see her parents.

Kita sat down and scooted into Anthrax's waiting arms. The other angel brushed her hair back and playfully nibbled on Kita's ear, causing Kita to shiver and the bear to grumble. Anthrax elbowed him hard.

"Shush, you. You'll get yours later."

Kita giggled, "He likes it does he?"

Anthrax puffed, "god, you have no idea. He's hinted at wanting you to join us. He doesn't believe you don't like guys. He just thinks you haven't had the right guy."

"He'd learn real quickly." Kita said nastily.

"Shush sweetheart, you're here to relax, not worry about a silly old bear," Anthrax cooed rubbing Kita's shoulders.

Kita sat back enjoying the rub down and the stupid movie. In a dark part of the movie she felt Anthrax return to her ear and move down her neck.

"Hello..." Kita giggled.

Kita let Anthrax play for a few minutes before standing up and offering her hands to her. With a surprised and unsure look Anthrax took them. They tip toed around the sleeping bear out of the room. Without a word Kita led Anthrax down to her sanctuary.

"Am I allowed in there?" Anthrax asked concerned.

"You are now." Kita opened the door and walked into the candle filled room.

Three thousand white candles either sat on the floor, where attached to the walls, or floated in the air. A thirty by hundred foot window gave a view of space like none other. In the corner the nameless planet floated below them. Thousands of stars shown like pin of light. Their light mixed with the reflections of the candle flames.

Kita walked through the candles as Anthrax watched. Kita seemed to relax completely here. She would turn and watch the candles go by. She'd poke one and giggle as it changed directions. Playing with candles and enjoying the light show wasn't all that was going on. The candles held a sinister secret. Each candle represented the deaths of a million people. The sum total of all the people killed in the last great war to engulf The Mass.

The souls hadn't arrived on their own. Snowy had carried the guilt, shame, and pain of having a part in their deaths. She had unloaded it here as a way of cleansing herself of her past.

Kita had found the place irresistible. Death hung so thick in the air she could feel it penetrate and then rejuvenate her. She enjoyed their pain and suffering and sometimes could even channel their energies and see how they died. She'd been known to spend days here meditating and learning about herself.

Anthrax watched Kita uncomfortably. Something kept tugging at her, like the gentle pull of a child. She tried to shrug it off. Whatever it was, either was her imagination or had to do with this room. She hoped it was her imagination.

"What's wrong?" Kita asked.

"I feel funny." Anthrax admitted.

"You get used to it. It's nothing bad. It's just the dead wishing to tell you their story."

"I never thought you to be metaphysical." Anthrax questioned curiously.

"Think of it as an echo, like light. Somewhere out there, they're still alive."

The analogy caught Anthrax by surprise, what was more Kita wasn't wrong.

Kita smiled and took Anthrax's hand. She led the white haired angel to the ground level. The passed a large candle display, one had her picture on it. She'd never seen the display, but knew it had to do with Snowy.

Kita led her to a cushioned rotunda area.

"Sit my dear." Kita instructed gently.

Anthrax did wondering when Kita had gone from being a child to being her peer. Was it entering this room or had it started earlier? Either way she hoped Kita stayed this way. She had few true friends on the station and she'd been trying to mend bridges with Kita anyway. If this was how Kita was supposed to be, she suddenly felt if Kita left she'd be very lonely.

"Am I in trouble?" She asked apprehensively.

"Of course not. I bring people I'm unhappy with to the practice room. I bring people I'm worried about here or some other place comforting. I wasn't sure if you'd find comfort here. No one else does, but I always offer."

"It gives me the feeling of walking into a morgue or body collection point. Quiet and still. I don't know how I feel about the feeling it gives me. It's beautiful none the less. I could get lost in that window for hours. I miss being out there so much. I always love coming back to the Roost." Anthrax sighed.

"I can imagine growing up in space that the surface would never feel like home."

"If feels dirty, heavy, and chaotic. Not like up here."

Kita bobbed her head in agreement.

"Did you ask me here to reminisce and find out how home sick I am?"

"Well, no, but I'm willing to listen regardless. I wish I could help with your homesickness. For what it's worth I miss my home as well."

"I thought you hated the place?"

"I hated the people in it. The place itself was on big adventure when I was young and when I was older being a Duke's daughter had its perks. I had the run of the place, mostly, to do what I wished."

"That always sounds like such a fairy tale, the Duke's daughter." Anthrax laughed.

"Like the old fairy tales that end horribly." Kita replied.

"But you haven't ended horribly." Anthrax pointed out with smile.

"True. Is there anything I can do to make it feel more like home for you?" Kita asked.

Anthrax looked around. This was the only room that had any vegetation. Two large planters filled with trees, shrubs, and flowers.

"Could we get or make a terrarium? Fill it with trees and birds? We used to have entire forests, prairies, and jungles all over the rings. They'd have hills, streams, pools and long pathways that would wind through them. They had birds and animals that would wonder around and fish in the streams and pools. You could get lost in them for hours, but all you had to do was look up and there was Neptune, big and blue, watching over us like the god it was named after. How I miss looking up and seeing that big blue planet." Anthrax sighed and fought back the want to cry.

Kita scooted around and put her arm around the other angel.

"Don't worry. We'll get you a terrarium."

"And how do you propose we do that? I don't have a bunch of spare materials just lying around. Nor a bunch of construction robots handy. Oh, and where are we putting this?"

"Well, why don't we look at putting small ones in the outer rim corridors? They don't have to be big, some shrubs and flowers, maybe some small trees. For a big one why not get rid of the pilot's dormitory and back storage area. The only things those have been good for is late night rendezvous. I'd much rather do it in this than in those dingy and sterile rooms."

"And labor and materials? Do you want it open to space?"

Kita clicked her teeth with her fingernail. "We'll just bring it up. You can reprogram the shuttle repair robots. They're so rarely used we might as well get some use out if them. And sure, why not? It'd give more space for the trees."

"And how am I doing that? I don't happen to have a spare plasma generator around here. And the materials from the surface won't be high enough grade to weld properly to the surface." Omega countered.

"I'm beginning to think you just don't want to do it. Then they will supply us with the raw material and we will make the grade of material required. That's for metals and biological. We can bring up adult and juvenile plants and put them in quarantine until they're cleared. And we do have some, five in fact three medium and two large."

"Ok smarty, how do you intend to pay for the materials? This isn't a Legion project and not a Black Rose project, this a Kita project and last I checked we don't have labor credits. So unless you want to work it off yourself, no terrariums."

Kita sat back and sighed heavily. Money, labor credits, or whatever had never been a problem. Everything she needed was supplied by the station. She looked at Anthrax who looked about ready to cry. Putting the other angels head on her shoulder Kita thought furiously. She had to have some kind of influence to get the work done. The station was the main advanced technical training facility and main trauma facility for Arcone. She'd opened them up free for them as a personal gesture. She wasn't going to close them off to get a terrarium, but that had to be worth something. She didn't want to be a scrooge and demand back rent and payment for facilities either. She didn't pay her staff, not that they'd have anywhere to spend it if they had it. She had no want to be a medical and educational pimp.

So what could she do? What did the nobles do when they wanted something, but didn't want to pay for it? The thought disgusted her, because she didn't want to think of herself that way. Still as Black Rose she was as close as the Arconians got. What would be more important to Arconian workers than labor credits? Training...but she gave that away for free. What would they want that they already didn't have?

She thought about the warrior guilds. They made money by fighting for others, but they also went to find glory and honor, another idea that caused her stomach to turn. Glory and honor weren't something the economic guilds had a lot of. No one lauded the best deal of the day or who netted the biggest income. They just slowly churned away unrecognized. The closest she could come was who built what the best, biggest, and the fastest. Kita smiled.

"We'll make it a contest for the economic guild and craftsmen guilds. We'll offer two categories, small and large with subcategories for jungle, forest, and plains. Our robots can cut out the ceiling and install the plasma window. The recovered materials can be used for the planters. Our robots can make sure the planters are installed correctly. Any other materials required will be supplied by them. Anthrax, Tina, and I will judge. The winners will get a feather from each. I understand they're quite valuable."

Anthrax giggled, "They've never been here when one of is molting."

Omega groaned.

"Tell me about it. You end up clogging the disposal systems."

"So how about that mister killjoy?" Kita asked.

"Fine you want me to say it?"

Kita nodded.

"You're a bloody genius. Guess I'll go get started cutting a hole in the ceiling. Lucky me. I hate heavy construction. I better get a prize for this."

"Maybe I'll let you join me for an activity. Which activity depends on how much you complain about this." Kita smiled and licked her lips suggestively.

"My speakers are sealed. I'll go find my hard hat." Omega clicked away while both girls laughed.

"Oh thank you. I cannot wait." Anthrax bounced excitedly and threw her arms around Kita and kissed her. When Kita ended up on her back with Anthrax on top of her, she decided she needed to get back to the original reason they were here. She gently worked Anthrax off of her as smoothly as she could. When she sat up she licked her lips in a satisfied way.

"Yummy," she giggled, as she scooted away.

Anthrax looked pleased with herself.

After taking a second to right her mind she looked at Anthrax. She made her bandana disappear. For this conversation eye contact was going to be needed.

"As much as I love trading kisses with you I have to ask what's wrong?"

Anthrax's smile melted away.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Why?"

Kita sat back and cocked her head in that I-all-ready-know-the-answer-but-want-you-to-say-it way.

"A girl like you doesn't suddenly switch up tastes and play it off as therapy. I'd believe it with Jain, because I know her tastes. You've glued yourself to me and defended me like no one else ever has. It wasn't that long ago you couldn't stand to look at me."

Anthrax deflated.

"It started when I left. Frostbane went back to the forest and started mating with the other females and falling back into other ways. I wanted him to stop naturally, but he refused. He said he was expected to pass on his greatness and make the bear clans stronger. We went back and forth. Finally I said screw it and I wanted to relationship to be open. He reluctantly agreed. It's not like it mattered. My choices are visiting Arconians and holograms. I've done the former and the later, well I might as well just go use my toy.

I had no one to talk to about any of this. Jane isn't the same person. Snowy and I barely tolerate one another. Tina's off in her own little world. The other little angels I don't think would understand.

When I left and before I left you were angry, but you never judged me. You let me find out on my own, you watched out for me, and welcomed me back like I'd never left. I still cannot believe you did all that for me. When it came up that people wanted you under constant care I took it.

I'd watched from the outside as your relationships became rockier and rockier. It was easier to yell at them than deal with my own problems. Then you took us out that day to destroy those bases and it made me realize how lonely I was. No one invited me to do anything. I didn't realize how much I needed a friend. The more I watched you the more I realized how much I did like you. I think I just down played it because I was caught up in the role of being a high angel. And the longer it's gone on the more I like you and respect you.

I...You're the first person who's shown me any affection or cared about me in so long I don't want it to end. I almost kept hoping you'd dump Snowy and Jane so I could have a shot with you. I keep thinking if other girls can do it, why can't I? I still don't feel anything, no matter how hard I try. I still think it's good for you and for me. I may not get any sexual desire out of it, but it's still nice to feel someone kiss me I feel cares about me."

Kita nodded understanding.

"I will say it definitely has been a nice change of pace. I've enjoyed having you with me these last six weeks. I don't think I could have a better person watching over me. I'm more than willing to be your friend. I think it would be good for both of us. I have a feeling I need to spend more time away from my two or maybe one I haven't decided yet. Sarin's the only for sure. I am more than willing to help you out with that ornery old bear if you like. I know how stubborn he can be, but that's your choice. I can only be a friend. I don't think I'd make a very good playmate and it sounds like I wouldn't be a good fit. If you want to split from Frosty I can understand that too. It's hard to be with someone who thinks his whole goal in life is to impregnate every female he comes across."

Kita made a gagging face, causing Anthrax to laugh.

"You never want to have a baby?"

"Are you kidding? Nothing that big is ever coming out from between my legs. That area has one function and one function only."

Anthrax looked at her like she was crazy. "You don't have to do it that way. You can do it in a vat like normal people."

"I don't care if comes from a stork, I don't want one. Picking up a fifteen year old with a set of parents here is going to be a challenge. I don't care how smart and gifted she is. Kids are kids, stupid, trouble, and make more problems than they solve."

Anthrax laughed, "tell me how you really feel."

Kita winked at her, "so shall I go get your bear?"

"I...do you want to do it here?"

"Why not? I'll be right back."

Kita phased out and phased in behind the big bear in the small viewing area. She knelt down and rapped on his head. The big bear huffed and growled, and went back to sleep.

"Hey, I need to talk to you about your girl." Kita whispered.

Frostbane grunted.

"If you don't wake up I'm go to sleep with her." Kita teased.

Frostbane's head snapped up and he snarled.

"Good. Come on."

Kita put her hand on his head and phased back to Anthrax. Kita motioned Anthrax to where she'd been sitting. Frostbane sat up, but did nothing more.

"I'm going to need you to change, big boy. This is a human issue." Kita asked sweetly.

Frostbane roared and huffed.

"She wants you that way so she can understand you, furball." Anthrax replied hotly.

Kita held up a hand to her friend.

"Frostbane let me explain it to you. I wasn't kidding earlier. It won't be me, but it will be someone. And you better believe I'll continue to be her playmate until she does. If you want to keep Anthrax you need to change, if you don't stay that way."

Kita folded her arms and looked at the big bear. The bear huffed and grumped, but slowly changed. Kita wished she brought a kilt or something for him. Three hundred and sixty degree vision had its drawbacks. Kita pointed to a seat opposite of Anthrax and hoped that would help.

"Sit." She ordered.

As a human Frostbane was a giant of a man with a barrel chest, long white hair, and ice blue eyes. He sat sprawled on the bench seat trying to get comfortable. Kita took a seat between them.

"Ok, let's get started. Frostbane, do you know why you're here?"

"You made come." He replied.

Kita was impressed that his human tongue had improved.

"That's true I did, but I had a reason. Anthrax is not happy with the current status of your relationship and I'm here to help."

Frostbane threw his head back and laughed.

"You help? You partners relationship mess. Two in healing place."

Kita did her best to plaster the smile on her face.

"Mine are on the mend. Sarin and I have already made up and talked out our problems. Snowy I have to wait to talk to. My relationships are not a mess, but like all relationships they can run into problems. What is important is that we work through them and fix it. I've got a lot of practice in that department. Anthrax has asked me to help as a friend to both of you."

"So what bothering pretty bird?" Frostbane asked flatly.

"I am not a pretty bird. It would be one thing if you said it with any affection or love in your voice, but you don't. I am angel, damn." Anthrax retorted hotly.

Frostbane shrugged.

"Frostbane, do you not respect Anthrax?" Kita asked curiously.

"She not warrior. She healer. Healers below warriors. Do as warriors say."

"Ok. Then what changed from when Anthrax left and Anthrax returned for The Confederacy?"

"She prove she no warrior. We had rescue her." Frostbane grunted.

"We had to recue five thousand legionnaires as well. Are they not warriors?"

Frostbane dodged the question.

"She woman cannot be with other male." Frostbane looked at Kita and thought for a second, "or woman."

"Why not? She's allowed you to be with other female bears." Kita responded ignoring the second part.

"Me make as many bears as possible to make bears better. It not choice, it requirement. She sleep with other male she make his cub, not mine." Frostbane explained with great pride.

"You stupid oaf!" Anthrax yelled, "I keep telling you it cannot happen. I've been implanted to prevent getting pregnant. This isn't even the root of the problem. You don't care about me. You treat me like one of your bitch bear's. I don't always feel like have sex when you do or I definitely don't appreciate you rolling me over and trying to mount me. You're lucky you haven't gotten a face full of gas or worse."

"You ugly now. Not beautiful."

"That's not my choice. It's what happens when an angel falls. I happen to think I look damn good. Kita thinks so, Tina and Katie said so, and so has every man I've passed up here. So what is your problem with me? Do you want me to let you go officially? I've done everything short of that. I don't want to, because I love you, but I'm not living like this. Kita's given me more in the last couple of weeks than you have since I returned. I don't know what's wrong with you and all of these excuses you give me don't explain why you stopped carrying about me. I'm not a warrior all of a sudden because I needed help from my friends? You want find out who's a warrior? Go grab your armour and you and I can go toe to toe and will see who's crushed like a tin can. I choose to heal, because it's what I love doing. It doesn't mean I'm weaker, it means I'm stronger. I'm willing to look at my friends bleeding and broken and keep it together to help them. So what is wrong? Have you met someone new and don't have the courage to tell me?" Anthrax had steadily climbed to a crescendo, finishing by bursting into tears. Kita watched the steam rise from Anthrax's eyes wishing she could comfort her.

Frostbane folded his arms across his chest.

"You not beat me. I great warrior not lose to woman."

Kita tried to refocus them. "You have to see Anthrax as an equal. She..."

Anthrax interrupted her.

"You don't think I cannot beat you? You're just a muscle headed chest beater hiding in a tin can. Let me show you what a real warrior looks like."

Anthrax exploded in Pestilence and floated upward. Opening her mouth thousands of insects poured out toward Frostbane. The man didn't sit still. He changed his bear form and roared loud enough to shake the candles in the room. The insects swarmed him and he disappeared in a humming cloud.

Another roar dispersed the insects momentarily. It was enough of a gap for Frostbane to lunge at Pestilence. Pestilence laughed as she spewed brimstone from her hand. The burning sulfur latched on to Frostbane's coat and the smell of burnt hair and flesh mixed with the smell of rotten eggs.

Kita annoyed, tapped her finger on her knee. She let them tussle for a few more seconds before speaking.

"Do not forget where you are. I will not tolerate a disturbance in my sanctuary."

Kita waited, but no one heard her or heeded her call. Pulling her legs on to the couch she placed her hands on her knees and closed her eyes. A black cloud slowly leaked from her billowing upward in large column. Slowly the column began to rotate. Lightning began crack and burst along the edges. The cloud spun faster and the distorted faces of the dead appeared in the clouds. The winds in the clouds began to howl, climb to a shriek, and peaked at an unholy wail.

Out of the cloud marched a quartet of black skeleton warriors dressed as ancient red legionnaires. The clouds rotation began to suck up the insects and brimstone as the soldiers moved between the two warring lovers. Frostbane gave a room shaking roared toward the skeletons. The soldiers replied with an ear shattering shriek that made the giant bear take a few steps back. Pestilence floated backwards getting the message and changed back to Anthrax.

Frostbane continued to challenge the soldiers. As a last warning the soldiers dropped to a knee and leveled their odd looking rifles at the bear. The bear didn't take warning and reared up and threw himself forward. The soldiers brought their rifles up to fire into the giant's underside.

"No! Kita!" Anthrax yelled.

The soldiers fired. The rounds stuck the bear's underside and exploded on impact. Black cloud rapidly expanded around Frostbane freezing him in place. The soldiers stood and marched back into the cloud. The cloud slowed and dissipated. Kita stood up and stretched as if nothing had happened. She walked over and made a downward motion with her hand. The frozen bear lowered to the ground so he was eye to eye with Kita.

"So, still think she's not a warrior Big Boy?"

"My big friend you need to understand. Human and angel woman are not the same as female bears. You've seen the Arconians fight, are there women weak and not warriors? Many of them have died fighting with you. If you insist thinking woman are not warriors you're going to offend me. I've beat some pretty good warriors, I think. Am I not a warrior?"

Kita moved a hand and freed the bears head. The bear grunted and even nodded in agreement.

"So what's wrong with Anthrax? You know every reason you've given is false, so what's the deal?"

Kita waved her hand and freed the bear and Frostbane changed back to his human form. Kita motioned the two back to their seats.

"So, why?" Anthrax demanded.

Frostbane hung his head.

"Have family."

"You have a what?" Anthrax asked in disbelief.

"You mean a bear family?" Kita asked.

Frostbane shook his head, "human woman, new baby boy."

Kita sat back and blew out a breath.

"I guess that's it then," Anthrax said, and stood up.

"Wait..." Frostbane asked.

"What do you have to say? If you have a boy this has been going on a lot longer than just a few months and isn't with a bunch of bears. You obviously wanted something I didn't. I told you someday I'd be interested, just not when there's a war going on. I'm not going to do this." Anthrax replied fiercely.

"Me want you. Not her." Frostbane admitted.

"Uhm, no. You now have kid. I'm not going to be a home wrecker. You made your choice, you wanted a kid, and I don't. You found someone who did. You chose a baby boy over me. Now you live with that choice. I hope you enjoy being a father. I hope you're a better father than you were as a partner."

Frostbane stood up, "But we find way."

Anthrax just shook her head, "come on Kita. I want to go."

Kita nodded, touched Frostbane, and phased out. They arrived in an empty room.

"This is your room now. You're still welcome up here. If you'd like we can bring the baby and its mother up here if you want. I recommend it for the health of the child. I can detail a shuttle to you and I will have one of the doctor's go down with you to collect them. It's your choice."

Frostbane sighed.

"Human baby should be raised by humans. No better place than here. Thank you."

"You welcome. If you wish I will have Megan check out the boy and see if he's just like his father."

Frostbane puffed out his chest proudly.

"Of course will be."

Kita laughed as she phased out. Phasing next in to Anthrax she sighed.

"I think I'm going to need a day care."

Anthrax's sour face disappeared in a burst of loud laughter. She laughed for several minutes before having to sit down on the large staircase of the Kita's sanctuary. Kita sat down next to her.

"Oh god I can see it now, Little Fallen Angel Day Care tiny bears playing with evil baby angels and tiny robots. I don't think we could build a room strong enough."

"I don't know where we're getting these baby angels." Kita said semiseriously.

"They way you're recruiting we might have some."

"She's fifteen and acts older than that. I wouldn't have taken her otherwise." Kita defended.

"I know you seem to find the right people or create them," happily admitted Anthrax.

She laid her head on Kita's shoulder.

"Now what do I do?" Anthrax asked.

"We'll find you someone."

"Where? There's no guy's in my demographic around here."

"Well maybe we should go down and have a night out." Kita offered.

"That hasn't gone well before."

"Once doesn't mean a trend." Kita rebuffed.

"You still have a war to run remember."

"True, but first we need to rest and get some people healthy and trained up. I need to get caught up on the ground situation, but I can do that from here. Though my first priority is to make sure you're fit to fight. I'm going to need you and Pestilence," admitted Kita.

"I'll be fine. It's been a slow let down as much as I pretended it wasn't. I...can we continue what we've been doing?"

Kita smiled, "I don't see why not. I'm sure Jane won't mind. I don't think she'd care if it was serious. I'm enjoying it. You might also talk to Tina or Katie. I know Katie would be interested in some playful attention."

Anthrax nodded. She hadn't thought much of Katie. She was just an enthusiastic kid that liked TV and her computer. They day out with her and Kita had be fun. Maybe she could get Kita do to a few more days out with the three of them.

Kita exited the shuttle at the forward command center for the Army of the Rose. She was a day later than she expected. Her list of things to do had taken more time than anticipated.

The meeting two days ago with the economic and craftsmen guilds had been productive. Kita didn't realize there were so many guilds. The larger guilds were eager to get started, the smaller more specialized were not. Either they lacked the manpower or recourses to participate. Kita wanted everyone to participate so she invent another category specifically for them. A specialized economic guild would team with a specialized craftsman guild. They were to use their specialties to come up with sculptures or artwork to go in the terrarium. The plan was welcomed by all and Kita gave them thirty days to design and build their entry.

She approached the tent feeling some nerves in her stomach. It had been a long time since she'd been in a command tent as the commander. Around her Tina, Nina, Anthrax, and Katie floated followed by Frostbane, Paladin, Zidin, her personal commanders and the Legion commanders. Kita had Zidin and Paladin brought up immediately and put back together. Both were madder than broiling suns when they came back on line.

Kita had a long talk with each over what happened. Both disapproved of the deal forced on Tina and the others. Both Sarin and Snowy had to do with both robots deactivation. Neither were overjoyed with Sarin "getting off light", as Zidin had put it. Kita reassured them that she was the lesser of two evils. Snowy's attempted suicide surprised both, but neither showed any sympathy for her.

Kita entered the tent with the other angels and commanders leaving the boys outside to guard. Neither Zidin nor Paladin trusted the Legion troops at the moment, not even the Legion of Arcone. Snowy had been busy rearranging the Legion of Arcone's command structure to one that was loyal to her. Kita entered the tent with her tiny army.

Around a large map table Schwarzkopf , Rommel, and Patton worked on the army's next move. Kita strode up to the table and looked down.

"Nothing like boys and their toys," laughed Kita.

The three looked up surprised and Rommel called the tent to attention.

"Oh, it's a little late for the general don't worry about." Kita waved her hand as a dismissal.

"Apologies, Commandant. The staff doesn't know you all that well." Schwarzkopf remarked.

"My fault. I've been trying to stay out of your hair. Unfortunately with current events I will be taking charge of the field command."

"What happened to Commander Snowy?"

"She removed herself from command due to personal reasons, namely me."

Rommel and Patton exchange a look.

"Don't worry about what happened, just now it'll be a bit before she returns. It's now up to you to plan out battlefield strategy. I..." Kita looked to her side to find a sergeant at her elbow.

"Can I help you Sergeant?" Kita asked.

"Excuse me Black Rose, I'm your aid as long as you're here." He answered smartly.

"I don't remember asking for an aid. What are you supposed to aid?" A corner of Kita's mouth ticked up.

"Whatever you need. I can file papers, get food or drink, clean your tent or uniform..."

Kita held up a hand, "whose bloody idea was this? If I want something I'll get it, my uniform cleans itself, I don't sleep so I don't need a tent, if I have papers to file, I'll give them to the proper section to file. No offense Sergeant, but I don't need your help. Why don't you go do something useful? If I want a nursemaid, I'll go send myself back to the medical ward."

Shaken the Sergeant saluted and hurried.

"What the bloody suns is that about?" Kita demanded.

"Commander Snowy always has an aid, Commandant." Rommel replied.

"Anything else I should be aware of?"

"She ran this place extremely strict, but she did enjoy her luxuries and fringe benefits." Schwarzkopf replied dryly.

"Perfect." Kita rubbed her head. Ten minutes into the place and she was getting a headache and they hadn't even started on the military stuff.

"Remember where your toys are." Kita warned.

The three commanders looked at her strangely until it was too late. Kita jumped up on the table and looked around the tent.

"Can I have your attention," Kita asked politely.

When she didn't get everyone's attention she yelled loud enough to shake the tent. Everyone turned to look at her.

"For those who don't know me, or my role, or just were told to ignore me, let me set the record straight. I am Black Rose, I am the Commandant of The Legion, and this is my Army, that's both groups, Arconian and Legion.

Now things have been run one way around here and now they are going to change. You all have done an excellent job and you will continue doing as such. But this is as army, not someone's personal kingdom to run as she saw fit. Any one of is interchangeable, even me. I don't run a place by fear and that's what I smell around here. There's a disciplined, respectful, and professionally run army, or one run on fear and harshness.

With me I have brought the commanders of my personal units and my crew. They will tell you I don't run my units through fear, but respect. With respect comes loyalty. My units and my crew know I will go to any lengths to protect them and I will do the same for you. With that I hope to earn your loyalty.

Since I have your attention and I no longer wish to be known as a nobody, I don't wish other important people to be mistaken as such. So let me introduce you to my unit commanders. Colonel Delta Seven, Commander of my heavy brigade, Death's Brigade. They are the reason we're on the move. Next, Captain Clyde Farley, Commander of my elite light infantry, my personal guard, the Black Watch. They have been rebuilding after being wiped out to the last man at in the battle of The Confederacy. Finally Katie, Commander of the Commandoes. She leads the best of the elite's elite. Land, Sea, or Air they can do it all without being detected. If you don't believe me, ten of them are in this tent right now. If you can find one you can their place.

These other angels are Tina, aka White Rose, I all hope you know who she is. Nina, the blue angel, she's young, but can move mountains."

Nina giggled as different things around the room floated upward.

"Amber, Commander of the Legion of Arabia," Kita left it that. Amber was big support of Snowy and Sarin. What Kita had done to earn her loathing she wasn't sure.

"Doctor Anthrax, she's an angel of healing and a scourge upon The Mass. Outside you'll find three more. Paladin is the big robot, Great Elder Zidin is the little one with all the cats, and the giant bear is Frostbane. If any of these people tell you to do something consider it coming from lips." Kita paused for a second, "I suggest you keep your unfunny comments to yourself. Of course you're right I am a real fire breather."

Kita without turning she opened her mouth and a long jet of flame lashed out looping toward the speaker. She watched the legionnaire jump.

"If you want to challenge me, don't underestimate me. I come with all sorts of tricks and nasty surprises. Now, let's go win a war."

Kita floated back down toward the ground. Rommel and Patton reset the unit markers on the table.

"Sorry about that." Kita smiled.

"Thank you for the pep talk," Schwarzkopf sighed, "Things are tense around here. You did not make Commander Snowy mad. I think you're command philosophy will be well received by the staff. We might have problems with those coming from the Legion. Commander Snowy and Commandant Sarin have had little good to say about you. How long are they going to be gone?"

"Commandant Sarin will be back soon, but only in charge of the Legion. Commander Snowy will not return for a long while. I've brought you a couple of presents."

Kita waved to the Legion commanders waiting patiently.

"I'm opening up my war college and these are the first trainees. These are the commanders of the various legions. And this is Commander Forrester of the Legion of The Confederacy. He taught me everything I know about commanding an army. He's an excellent strategist. I'm hoping you can bring up to speed on current combat tactics and that he can be an asset her in the command center."

Forrester stepped forward and offered it to the other three commanders.

"So, you're the brains behind our black feathered friend. I'm glad to see someone's survived her." Patton grumped.

"Commandant Kita is a fast learner and a genius with the troops, General. She's also very shrewd about getting the right people into the right positions. The only difference is today she dominates the entire battlefield instead of just a part of it." Forrester defended.

"You keep it up and you might actually get Kita to blush," Nina laughed.

Patton gave Nina dirty look.

"You know, that frown isn't very friendly," Nina returned.

"Little girl you might be a parrot, but you're still a child. This is a military command center. If a child is to be here at all she needs to be quiet." Patton growled.

"Glad I'm neither a parrot nor child. I just checked my reflection in the shuttle's window an hour ago and I was still a blue angel. I think someone would have told me if I grew a beak and feathers."

The other angel's snickered.

"This is not a girl's school. We don't need your disruptions."

Katie stepped up to the General and looked up.

"This girl's school can kick your ass, old man."

Patton snarled and grabbed Katie around the neck and jerked her toward him.

"Listen her you..."

Katie's hands began to glow as she grabbed his large arm. Anthrax, Tina, and Nina rushed forward to help. Around the room the ten commandoes appeared with rifles up, aimed at Patton.

"Release the Commander," the nearest one ordered.

Patton smiled wryly, "go ahead son just make sure no one's on the other side."

Katie's hands exploded in a ball of light severing Patton's arms. The man didn't scream, but just started at the stump. Katie pried the fingers loose and tossed the arm back in the hologram.

"Holograms are just light, old man. And light can easily be lost in a brighter light. No one burns brighter than me." Katie boasted angrily.

"General Patton," Kita barked is name as an ordered. "I know you probably enjoyed Commander Snowy's command style more than mine, but I expect you to maintain your military discipline and operate as an affective combat commander. I don't suggest you underestimate my angels, General. Looks, age, experience, and power are not judged on the same scale. Any one of them can easily destroy you or thousands of Red Legionnaires on their own."

Kita stood nose to nose with the slightly taller man. Patton gave Kita a demeaning grin.

"Let me remind you General, you may be a hologram, but you better believe I can break that pretty nose of yours."

Patton's face screwed up as he backed away.

Kita addressed the tent again.

"In two days time my tanks and infantry are to be moving forward in a new offensive. We're now in the open country, tanker country. We have the better tanks and infantry carriers and I expect to rollover the Red Legion all the way to New London."

Kita turned back to her new staff.

"Make it happen."

"The enemies been rested for the better part of a week. We may need more time to soften them up and regain the momentum." Schwarzkopf responded.

Kita grinded viciously, "you've got nine tenderizers and three elite units to pound away with. How big a hole do you want? Last time it was over two miles."

Forrester nodded.

"Well take a look at the map and let you know where you can strike."

Schwarzkopf gave Forrester a dirty look. It wasn't lost on Kita.

"Schwarzkopf you're the officer in charge. Forrester you'll be his second. The rest of the commanders are yours to assign as needed. I want them to learn how modern warfare is fought. Their units should be training and will become available in a few months. When they do I want the Legion to be able help blunt the attack up in The Orient and the Kremlin. For that to work, these commanders need to work together and know how to command their units."

Schwarzkopf nodded, "a teacher and I commander am I, Commandant."

"Excellent. I'll leave you to it."

Kita turned to the other angels.

"Well girls lets go grab the boys and go get the units together."

Kita exited the tent and head for the shuttle with her crew.

"An aid? Oh, our little princess is never going to live this down." She commented to others who laughed all the way to Arcone.

Kita stood watching the soldiers of the Black Watch parade by. Clyde said he started with an entry class of seven hundred and fifty applicants. Two hundred and fifty marched before her. Clyde said some of them didn't deserve to be here, but she wanted two hundred and fifty so a few would still need work according to him. That was fine with her. Even the worst Black Watch soldier was worth three times a normal Arconian and that was saying something.

After arriving the day before from the front Kita had wasted no time getting her units together. She wanted to get them a few days to work together. This kind of command was new for Clyde and Katie and the more practice and time spent with Delta Seven the better.

The other members of her crew also got a chance to work together. It gave some a chance to show off new abilities and to work together to work out new combinations and strategies. It had been a while and the practice did everyone some good.

Pestilence and Nina received the most attention. Nina had proven to be a fast learner and could already wield her gravity abilities with great potency. Pestilence was just scary. She could decimate a pretty good area. Her one weakness was discovered. If the enemy got close she had little to counter.

Amber turned out to be a disappointment. She'd spent little time working with her machine guns or her abilities. Snowy had made Amber her third and she knew more about running a command tent than fighting in a battle. Kita did her best to keep her temper. She finally called Megan down to work with her, no one else who could teach would.

Paladin made a few mortifications, including an anti-tampering system to prevent easy shutdown as Snowy had been able to do. He now possessed a wider range of missiles and ammunition types. Anew targeting computer let him track more targets at once and fire multiple systems at once. Kita joked the rest of them could just stay on the island and let him do it all. Unfortunately he suffered from the same fate as Pestilence, as Katie and Kita proved. A small fast moving enemy that was hard to track could get in and do major damage.

Kita was giving the night over to the units a chance to mingle and get to know one another. She'd invited the locals and they were already setting up on the beach. Word spread of course and soon people from all over the island were arriving. Kita was thankful they were training on the least populated island.

Kita took those who hadn't spent much time on the island on a tour. Nina had never been to any place like Arcone and soaked it up like a sponge. She commented on how hot it was, but she didn't seem to feel it. No one had given her the run down on what she'd received when she got gotten her nanites. Kita filled her in. When they got to the feminine biological alterations everyone was polite enough not laugh as the teenager turned a bright red.

Kita set down on a ledge near the top of the volcano to let everyone take in the view of the island and the surrounding sea. The high plain that stretched from the volcano to the jungle was dotted with cattle, sheep, and other assorted livestock. Tiny clan villages were spread evenly among the animal dots.

The jungle was dense and it was impossible to see more than a few feet into it from the edge. In the jungle you could easily miss a person three feet away. Only from the air could you see the scattering of villages that carved out a small section in the green mat.

Beyond the jungle was the beach. Villages and even a small town were busy with the daily labors. Fishing boats went out as far as the horizon while bigger interisland trading boats delivered and picked up goods. This little island was known for producing the dyes necessary for the colors in the kilts of the Arconians.

"I thought the sea from space was amazing, but seeing it like this makes you feel tiny." Nina commented.

"Wait until you're on a tiny boat in the middle of a storm. You'll feel worse than tiny." Tina laughed.

"Yeah. The first time a forty footer crashed the bow I peed myself." Katie admitted with a laugh.

"A what?"

"Our two mariners are talking about waves. They're not always calm like you've seen. They can get big enough to swallow a boat whole." Kita explained.

"Like most things, beautiful and deadly." Nina remarked.

"You better believe I am." Katie answered with a laugh.

"You're not the only one," Tina shot back.

"We're all that way," Kita cut in, "otherwise you wouldn't be here."

Kita sat on the ledge and dangled her feet. The others joined her and they sat making small talk and enjoying the view.

Nina laid her head on Kita's shoulder, "Thanks for this. I'd never have seen this if it wasn't for you. For whatever I did right, I hope I keep doing it."

Kita purred and put her arm around her.

"You're doing fine. I couldn't ask for more."

"Yeah, you'll know when she hates you," Katie said from Kita's other shoulder.

"Am I that transparent?" Kita asked.

"Sweetheart you couldn't be any more obvious unless you posted a flyer." Anthrax laughed from the other side of Katie.

Amber watched the others with contempt. She hated not being included. She missed Snowy and Sarin. They at least treated her with respect and included her in everything. She had no want to go to the front to fight. She was a commander and commanders stayed in the rear to run the war. Only grunts went forward to die and she was no grunt. Kita didn't see that way. She kept harping that commanders lead from the front. You had a staff to run the war. Men are more willing to follow than being pushed from behind. For Snowy pushing from behind worked and she'd proven it.

Off in the distance she could see another pair of big wings approaching them. Her heart lifted when she zoomed and saw it was Sarin. Amber wondered why she wasn't in uniform instead she was wearing her silly school girl outfit. Either way she hoped Sarin was coming to challenge Kita for command.

The other angels spotted Sarin and were less enthusiastic then Amber about her arrival. Only Kita had a big smile. Separating herself from her two cuddlers she launched off the ledge and flew out to meet her lover. Overly enthusiastic Kita grabbed Sarin in a big bear hug and looped high into the air.

Amber watched nervously as Kita grabbed Sarin. She was ready to join the fight if she had to. She almost wanted to, but before she could the pair landed with a thump where Kita had been sitting. To Amber's astonishment Sarin was laughing and swooning over Kita.

"I'm so excited you're here. I thought you'd be another few days." Kita admitted sadly.

"I snuck out. But you're going to have to be gently my chest and back are still recovering. I'm just glad I landed on top."

"You can be on top any time." Kita grinned.

"Nauseating," Tina called with a laugh.

The two big angels stuck their tongues out at their tiny sister.

"So, what have you been up to since you gave me a much needed week off?"

"Reorganizing that mess Snowy calls a command tent. Most desolate and soul sucking place I've ever been. And that's saying something." Kita growled.

Sarin shrugged. She'd been part of that, but wasn't going to admit she was wrong.

"We got some much need practice in and then we watched the new members of the Black Watch graduate."

"Oh, I've missed them. Nothing like guys with forearms the size of your leg walking around in skirts and aren't very ladylike when they sit." Sarin purred happily.

The other angels were more than happy to agree. Kita and Nina made a retching noise and then laughed.

Sarin turned her attention to Nina. "So let me get a good look at our newest bird."

Sarin looked Nina over with her good eye. She still wore an eye patch over the other.

"Damn Babe if I knew we could choose our colors when we began I wouldn't have gone with white." Sarin mussed.

"Black and red not to your liking?"

"I would have gone with more of a pink I think. Still nothing beats what I have now."

"Ok, are you done checking me out like a chicken at the market?" Nina snarled.

"Just checking out Kita's handiwork. Hopefully it last a while."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Nina frowned.

"Nothing. You'll always look like that," reassured Kita.

"She's got to fall eventually," insisted Sarin.

"I can't fall or ascend. They made sure of it." Nina pointed to Kita and Tina. "And why are you here anywhere? Shouldn't you be locked up with that crazy furball?"

"Is that true?" Sarin asked the other two.

Both of them nodded.

"Lucky little bitch. Not that I care some of us like being evil. I'm here because Kita and I made up. So go play with the parrots." Sarin laughed.

Nina didn't back down, "I'd rather be a parrot than a stupid, boring old blackbird."

"Feisty thing isn't she? Someday you're going to make someone very miserable."

"Looks like you're already doing that you old crusty bitch." Nina's eyes narrowed.

"I am not old." Sarin snarled.

"You look like it to me. What are you thirty? That's bloody ancient."

Anthrax and the other angels laughed.

"Don't get so cocky Kid, you'll look like your thirty soon enough." Sarin replied coolly knowing the truth.

"I know that, but it doesn't bother me, I'm not vain." Nina sneered.

"You will be soon enough. Every angel is and that's a fact." Sarin pointed out.

Nina looked around, everyone more or less agreed.

"At least I won't have trouble getting a date then." Nina replied looking on the bright side.

"Good luck finding that," Katie sad sorrowfully.

"Aah, don't be like that Katie we'll find you someone." Anthrax replied, surprising the other angels.

Nina nodded, "you've got to be somebody's fantasy out there. Petite is supposed to be a big turn on I understand."

Katie huffed. "You'll understand. As soon as you go through all the available singles up here you're left with one nighters with the passerby's."

"You cannot have gone through everyone," Anthrax said sweetly.

"Who's left that might be interested?" Katie replied.

"Well you have Tina, Nina, Amber, all the guys on the medical staff, the instructors, plus me. I..."

Katie interrupted Anthrax, "You're not single and no one in their right mind would cross that stupid bear."

Anthrax shook her sadly, "I am as of a couple days ago..."

"Wait, does this have to do with the screamer that come up a few days ago?" Nina asked.

As an answer Anthrax burst into tears.

"Oh, Nell, I'm so sorry. What a bastard." Sarin said crawling of Kita to comfort her long time friend.

"I should have seen it coming. He hasn't been the same since I got back."

"Yeah, but you left six months ago...?" Katie asked.

"If you want I'll beat the white out of him," Sarin offered.

The others also offered to help Sarin.

Kita watched the other angels support Anthrax. She sighed happily. Internal forces may push and pull them apart, but external forces focused them. She could live with that.

Anthrax recovered and ended up sitting between Kita and Sarin.

"Can we at least be nice to the kid? It's pretty cute." Tina smiled.

"Speak for yourself," Katie stuck out her tongue.

Kita, Sarin, and Amber agreed.

Sarin turned her attention back to Nina.

"I thought Katie would be the youngest Kita would ever go. I never thought you'd stoop to cradle robbing. There had to be better candidates out there." Sarin picked up where she'd left off.

Nina jumped to her feet.

"I'm a better candidate than you. At least I'm not some lying technician who slept her way on board the ship and proceeded to sleep with everyone on it. I'm already twice the angel you are and I've only been her week."

"You're definitely twice as annoying. Keep listening to Omega and see how far that gets you."

"From the results Kita's gotten it looks pretty damn far. Why don't you just leave me alone? I haven't done anything to you." Nina shouted.

Anthrax leaned into Kita's ear, "how long are you going to let this go on?"

"Until Sarin realizes she's picking a fight with a teenager who can handle her easily."

Nina looked at Kita, "Kita why did you have to let her back? How come she couldn't stay locked up with the other one?"

Kita sighed, "For the reasons I told you earlier. Sarin was doing what comes naturally and she's not the only one. All the fallen angels felt a pull when I went down."

"Is that what that was? I wondered why all the rest of you looked like targets all of a sudden, but I just ignored it." Katie admitted.

"The farther down on the order you are the easier it is to ignore. Not that Katie and the other fallen angels are week. They're just not in the power structure. We're like a pride of war cats. When the lead female drops out, naturally or unnaturally, the void has to be filed.

Sarin was also following Snowy's lead. If they had been successful it wouldn't have been long before they went at it. She did nothing I didn't expect.

Snowy's different. Ignoring all the fallen angel nonsense she let me down and failed me on a personal level. When I first came back I sacrificed all most everything for her, family, friends, my Legion, my nation, all for her. If you don't believe me ask Anthrax and Sarin, they were there. It took a lot of talking and fighting to convince everyone that Snowy was worth giving a second chance. I helped her dump her past and I gave her what she wanted. In my time of need she said I was too hard to be with, she ignored me and said I was a burden, she locked me away where she didn't have to deal with me, and when I did finally come back she wasn't happy. Instead, she acted like I was ruining her life. This suicide attempt wasn't out of sorrow or heartbreak; it was purely an attempt to hurt me. If she no longer wanted me all she had to do was say it. I'm not possessive of my lovers like she is, I may be of other things, but I'm willing to suffer a broken heart to let them make their own choice. I wanted to be loved for me, not because I demand to be."

Nina looked down, "if it comes to that I'm here for you and so are the rest of us."

Around them the others agreed.

Kita smiled, "Thanks there will undoubtedly be some tears, but not like in the past. It's much easier when the person has basically already dumped you."

Kita smiled playfully, "I will miss that tail."

She looked at Sarin with a grin.

"Ah, no. My ass is perfect thank you."

"I don't know it looks kind of old and saggy from here," Nina picked up the gauntlet again.

"Little girl I'm going to flatten you." Sarin growled getting up to stare down the teenager.

"Go ahead, try it. You'll be the flat one."

Quick as lightning Sarin drew a pistol and aimed it Nina. Nina stood her ground and shook her head.

"You know which was up?" She asked playfully.

"That way," Sarin replied confused.

"Not anymore."

Nina flexed her hand and Sarin went flying sideways off the ledge. She rapidly changed directions bouncing around like a pinball. Nina let her go and let Sarin fall. Recovering Sarin drew her other pistol and she fired.

The bullets stopped as soon as they left the barrel. A second later they disappeared in a tiny boom. Sarin fired some more, but the bullets when flying in all directions. In a rage Sarin changed to War. At that moment Kita enclosed them each in a gray sphere and dragged them back in.

Suddenly the sphere around Nina burst. She looked at Kita and smiled, Kita gave her a wink. Opening her hand, Kita let War out.

"Ok, that's enough. I won't have you injuring each other today. I need everyone healthy and I want you all to remember you have your weaknesses. Everyone is to know everyone else's so we can cover each other."

Kita looked around and got nods and looks of agreement from the others.

"Good. The sun's going down and I want to watch before we go down and party."

"Oooh, yummy. I definitely came back on the right day," Sarin replied changing back from War.

Kita scooted against the rock wall and took Sarin in her lap. Nina and Anthrax leaned on her, while the other angels settled in.

The village was lit up like the noon day sun and the angels glided easily. The village found itself inundated with Black Watch and Death's Brigade soldiers, Commandos and locals of the island. The locals took it all in stride and had laid out tables which overflowed from the food the units and the other islanders had brought.

Kita turned down the honor of going first and the other angels followed their leader. Kita did her a few grumblings from those who were becoming coinsures of Arconian cuisine. Kita was a one girl reception line meeting with everyone who came off the tables. The other angels joined her after it became apparent.

Kita and Nina where the big draw of the night. Rumors had swirled around the health of Black Rose and all were relieved Kita was fine. Nina was constantly surrounded by teens enthralled that a girl so young was an angel fighting alongside Black Rose.

Finally able to escape the throng of youngsters, Nina tapped on Kita's shoulder. Kita turned to find a visibly upset Nina.

"What's wrong?" Kita asked.

"Can I talk to you?" She whispered.

"Of course." Kita excused herself from the group of leaders and commanders to take Nina off some place quiet.

Safely tucked away behind some beach huts, Kita invited her to lean against some dinghies stacked on the beach. Putting her arm around her, Kita waited for Nina to find the courage to talk to her.

"They won't leave me alone!" She blurted out finally.

"Who won't leave you alone?" Kita asked concerned.

"All of them, the keep crowding me and pushing me."

Kita frowned, "that kind of comes with being an angel. You get a lot of attention. I recommend using your wings to your advantage. Make lots of turns and twists. You can usually carve out a bubble around you."

Nina sniffed, "if that was just it I wouldn't care. It's the boys. They're all determined to show off or something. They won't stop yelling at me and they're constantly touching me and grabbing me. I think I've even lost a couple of feathers."

"Let me see."

Kita looked Nina over and scowled nastily. She was missing more than several and not small ones like she gave away. She was missing a pair of flight feathers.

"Alright, we'll definitely put a stop to this. I'll..."

The sound of voices caused Kita to freeze. A group of adolescent voices could be heard searching for Nina.

"I'm sure I saw her go this way."

"We're never going to find her."

"We will and then we can all get a feather. She doesn't seem to notice us taking them."

Kita looked at Nina, "go invisible. They're coming this way."

"How?"

Kita cursed at herself, she hadn't covered that yet.

"Just concentrate on wanting your skin to be glass."

Kita vanished as a way of showing her. Nina tried and tried, but was too upset to concentrate properly. Kita waited quietly to see what would happen. She stood behind Nina and tapped gently on her shoulder and whispered where she was. Nina took a deep breath.

"There you are," one of the girls said sweetly.

Kita judged they were all between fifteen and seventeen. Plenty old enough and big enough to bully Nina.

"Hi," Nina replied defensively.

"We wondered what happened to you. We thought you didn't like us." One of the bigger boys commented.

"Well no, I just wanted to see the beach. But I cannot stay, Kita has some people she wants me to meet." Nina said trying to push her way through.

The other kids didn't budge.

"I didn't hear anyone calling, did you Mackie?"

Another large boy shook his head, "All I hear are the waves."

"You won't be able to hear her. She calls me through a radio in my ear." Nina didn't want to explain the receiver that ran from her little finger to her brain. It had hurt like she couldn't describe to have installed.

"I've heard of the magics Black Rose has, why don't you show us?" The first girl asked with a nasty smile.

"Sorry you wouldn't be able to hear anything. I really need to go I don't want to make her mad at me. She can have a bad temper." Nina tried to go through again, but was pushed back and the eight of them closed around her.

"What do you want?" Nina demanded.

"Just a souvenir of your visit. These blue feathers are nice." The girl held up one of Nina's missing flight feathers.

"You know those take a long time to grow in." Nina frowned.

"Just have your magic give you another one."

"It doesn't work that way. And it's not magic, it's just science and technology, but I suppose that's above you twits." Nina growled beginning to get angry.

She was catching glimpses of Kita moving around them. Obviously Kita was testing her to see how she did, but at the same didn't want her to feel abandoned.

"It's not nice to call people names." Another of the boys laughed.

"What are you going to do? Beat me up and take all the feathers you want? What are you going to do when Kita and my other sisters find out? Run, hide? Good luck. They'll find you no matter where you hide or run." Nina reasoned.

"We can hide the feathers were they'll never find them. We know the jungle so well they'll never find them."

Nina spun around as she felt a hand on her wing.

"Get off," she yelled. "I'm warning you don't touch me and get away from me. I've got powers just like my sisters, I'm not defenseless."

"But we are," giggled a girl, "and you wouldn't want to hurt innocent kids would you?"

Nina ground her teeth. She really didn't want to, but she wasn't going to give them another feather either. She looked at the ring leader girl.

"Hey pretty baby, which way's down?" Nina asked with a smile.

"What's that supposed to mean?" The girl shot back.

"Just a simple question," Nina raised an eyebrow.

"Not that, stupid. Calling me pretty baby."

"Well you are pretty hot. I thought you'd like a compliment." Nina smiled and winked at her.

"Oh, gross." The girl yelled.

"Give us our feathers," another girl snarled.

"Not until you answer my questions, you four point which way is up. And you four point which way is down." Nina directed.

The teenagers did as they were told.

"Not anymore it's not." Nina laughed.

The four pointing down started to fall upwards in to the sky. Those pointing up found the sand under their feet fall away and them with it. Nina let them go high in the sky and deep in the ground before bring them back close to the surface. She noticed those who'd gone into the ground came back wet. Looking down she could see water pouring into the holes.

"Oops." She laughed. "Sorry about that. I haven't gotten to geology yet."

The teenagers barely heard her, looking at her like she was putrid.

"Now I can send you on another ride, or you can give me back my feathers and go back to the party." Nina offered.

Three of them held out feathers another three said they didn't have any. Nina looked at them with her short burst scanner. Satisfied she let them all go.

"You two like the ride?" Nina asked the two hanging in the air.

"You're not going to hurt us." The ring leader spit.

"True, but I can make you wish I hurt you. Gravity is a fun thing."

Suddenly the guy began to yell in pain. Nina relaxed.

"Not fun when something's trying to push from the inside is it? Now what shall we do? I can give you a fun ride through the air like Sarin had earlier." Nina tapped her finger on the side of her head.

"How about they just give over the feathers and you let them go?" Kita asked appearing behind Nina.

"Now that would be the last thing I would have expected out of you. I would have thought you'd want to skin them alive or give them a thousand little cuts and throw them in the sea." Nina laughed.

"Yes well, when they are your people you have to make some exceptions." Kita purred walking up to the boy hanging in the air. "No matter how much they deserve it."

"Now you're in trouble. She's purring at you and not in that nice happy way." Nina laughed as the boy started to sweat profusely.

"Our apologies Black Rose," he quivered. "We didn't hear you coming."

"That's because I've been here since before you got here, boy-o." Kita smiled. "Now give me the feathers or you'll get more than a trip up and down."

Kita held out her hands to each. Both the girl and boy handed over the feathers.

"Nina, you can put them down." Kita instructed.

Nina dropped the boy hard to the sand and floated to girl down so she was a foot of the ground. Nina floated up to her. Kita motioned for the boy to leave.

"Nina, let her go." Kita ordered.

"Don't get your feathers all tarred. I'm not going to hurt her." Nina replied.

"And what are you going to do?" Kita asked amused.

"Show her something." Nina remarked.

Without another word Nina grabbed the other girl's face and kissed her. When she finished she set the girl down and backed away.

"I cannot say I have anything to compare that against, but wow."

The other girl charged Nina and pushed her, causing Nina to float backward.

"You stupid tree humper all you had to do was ask. I would've given it to you if you'd asked." The girl yelled.

Nina landed and looked at the girl.

"So ripping feathers from my wings is your idea of saying you're interested?"

"Well, no. We just wanted some and you were right there. We didn't think you'd mind." She replied quietly.

"It hurts like a son of a bitch. That big one you ripped out? Still hurts." Nina growled.

"Sorry. You didn't say anything." She protested.

"Did you ever think they're mine and you should ask?" Nina shot back.

"Well, we thought you'd say no."

"Did you ever stop to think for yourself?" Nina challenged.

"Well I wanted one and then the others wanted one and then what was I supposed to tell them I changed my mind?"

"Uhm, sounds good to me." Nina returned harshly.

"Well, it's not that easy." The girl snarled.

"Alright that's enough girls," interrupted Kita. "What's your name, girl?" Kita nodded at her.

"Avril."

"Well Arvil what have we learned from this little escapade tonight?"

"Where there's a baby angel, Mama angel isn't too far behind." Avril sighed.

"Yes, angels rarely go out alone. I hope you have something better than that for me." Kita said sternly.

"Keep my hands to myself, ask first, what more do you want?"

Kita sucked in a breath and glared menacingly at the child.

"For starts Black Rose had better start coming out of your mouth. Second, quit with the attitude. You're challenging the wrong girl. My attitude comes out in more than just my mouth."

Kita's bandana disappeared and flames lit in her eyes as a warning.

"Since my subtle question was obviously missed earlier let me be more direct. Are you really stupid enough to try and bully an angel or anyone for that matter? Bullies get put down hard in the end. Nina can easily kill you and others will to, if you're lucky you'll just get beaten down. I know this isn't how your family and clan raised you. Do you think because outsiders are here you can act like them?"

Avril looked down, "no Black Rose."

"So what were you trying to do? Prove that you could pick on an angel and she wouldn't retaliate in some way? Hope I wouldn't find out, because she'd be too scared of you to tell me? Or notice she has feathers missing? I hate to tell you I know exactly how many we have, because I've had them plucked out one by one."

Nina shivered at the thought. She wondered how Kita had endured that.

"I...We...Just..." Avril gave up in the face of the angry angel. "I just wanted her to notice me. The boys were all over her. I was hoping plucking one would get her attention. It just got everyone else's attention and they all wanted one. And it went totally wrong from there."

"Instead you ended up with a four foot flight feather." Kita pointed out.

"But I didn't pull it out, that was one of the boys. He gave it to me because he wanted one of the bigger ones."

Nina cringed and pulled he wing around and protectively guarded the big feathers.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize it hurt so much." Avril finally apologized.

"Why didn't you just tap my shoulder or better yet push the boys out of the way." Nina suggested.

"I don't know maybe I was hoping you'd chase me for it."

"Huh?" Nina looked it her stupidly. "Why would I do that?"

"I don't know...It was just a stupid idea. It doesn't matter." Replied Avril defensively.

"Now I'm curious," Kita asked amused.

Avril huffed realizing she was trapped.

"Fine. I've heard rumors and stories that the angels only live with and partner with other woman. I originally was curious if it was true, but all the angels are old. Then I saw you at dinner and wanted to find out if it was true Black Rose."

Kita stepped forward to answer the girl's question.

"There is some truth to that. There are only two angels that are strictly female oriented. There is one that is strictly male oriented. The others go between. They may have preference, but they willing have relations with either male or female. They've understand the idea that it's not whether you're a man or woman that should be the first decider, but there person."

"You worded that very defensively...Black Rose." Avril pointed out quietly.

"I did. Some of the angels are more private than others and I do not wish to introduce on their personal lives." Kita explained.

"Is it possible for me to come up there?" Avril asked.

Kita shook her head.

"The Roost isn't a place for teenage girls."

"What about me?" Nina challenged.

"What about you? You're an angel and your parents live there. I'm not going to allow her to run away." Kita replied sternly.

"So, move her parents up."

"I am not going to move ever teenage girl I come across up to the Roost." Kita replied bluntly.

"I don't want every teenage girl, just her." Nina pointed at Avril.

"You don't even know her." Kita shot back.

"How am I supposed to get to know her if she's down here?"

"I am not doing that again." Kita answered harshly.

"This isn't fair. How am I supposed to meet anyone if I cannot even try?" Nina shot back.

"I didn't say it was fair. You're an angel it comes with certain draw backs." Kita replied trying to be gentle.

"Drawbacks for who? Not you. Misses I've got two partners at my beckon call."

"That's enough Nina. The answer is no." Kita yelled.

"You don't care about me, just yourself." Nina pouted.

Kita ground her teeth. She couldn't have possibly have been this stubborn as a teenager.

"I do to care about you. You're going to battle for the first time in three days. I need to get you trained up and ready. Who knows how long it will be until you'll be back. There will be others."

Nina didn't bite. "How do you know? I could be killed in three days. I don't get to have any fun at all?"

Kita was saved by a light laughter coming around the huts. Anthrax appeared smiling happily.

"Mother and daughter having their first fight?"

"Ewww, she's not my mother." Nina cried.

"No, she's not. But she's going to fill that role in your life as she does for all of us." Anthrax replied in a wistful tone.

"I have a mother. She may be a hologram, but that's better than Kita."

Without a word Kita turned and walked down the beach, vanishing as she went.

"Where's she going?" Nina asked confused.

Anthrax's playfulness died away.

"Something you'd better learn real quick. Kita has a prickly exterior, but inside she's nice and soft. I wasn't kidding when I said she was mother. She takes care of all of us and would give even herself for you. Saying that she's no good or doesn't care, hurts her a lot. You, me and the others are her family. Would you have said that to your mother?"

Nina shook her head.

"You've got a lot to learn about her, us, and yourself so I suggest you tread lightly. Kita's forgiving to a fault. Some of us aren't."

Anthrax's eye's burned bright. From her hand a green cloud spewed out toward Avril. The girl began to cough and gag. Anthrax waited a minute before entering the cloud and injecting the girl with the antidote. Nina looked at Anthrax in horror.

"Don't worry she'll be fine, but she will be sick the rest of the night." Anthrax smiled evilly at both girls giving Nina the chills.

"I thought you were supposed to be nice. A high angel who fell by mistake."

"Fallen is fallen. You hurt my friend, I hurt yours. Mine will recover, so will yours. Just make sure you turn her on her side before you leave. Have a good night, see you tomorrow morning."

Anthrax laughed wickedly as she hurried to go find Kita.

Nina knelt next to Avril.

"Are you ok?"

"What was that crap?" Avril coughed.

Nina shrugged. "I don't know. Kita said she was named for it, so it must be anthrax, whatever that is."

Avril rolled over on her side still coughing.

"I'm sorry," Nina said quietly. "I didn't know she'd do that."

Avril rested her head on Nina's knee.

"It's ok. I suppose I might have had this coming." She had another coughing fit. "I don't know if I want to live through the night with this."

"Don't say that. She said you'd get better. If she wanted to kill you I don't think she'd have given you anything."

"Are they all this bad?"

Nina shrugged, "I don't know them all. Katie and Tina are nice. I thought I liked Anthrax, but not anymore. Sarin's just a bitch. Amber hasn't said a work to me. Kita's really nice when she's not trying to run my life. Which she is for the most part, but she can stay out of certain parts."

Avril's laugh turned into a coughing fit.

"Maybe we should go find Tina. She's a healer." Nina suggested.

Gently she tried to help Avril up, but Avril fell back to the beach.

"Ah, wait here. I'll go grab Tina."

Five minutes later Nina returned with Tina and Sarin. She was still incredibly embarrassed after having found the pair necking in an empty hut. Avril's coughing focused her.

"So what happened?" Sarin asked.

Nina quickly explained what had happened to Avril.

"Nell did this? Girl's learning quickly." Sarin laughed.

"Why were you down here in the first place?" Tina asked while looking the girl over.

Nina went into deeper detail.

"Oh, wait to hit a nerve, little girl. It could be weeks or months before Kita will speak to you again." Sarin laughed.

"What?" Nina exclaimed her voice full of fear and worry.

"Don't listen to her," Tina cut in. "Kita will get over it. Speaking of getting over it, Sarin why don't you go make yourself useful and go calm Kita."

"Sounds like an absolutely delicious thing to do. See you later Bubbles." Without looking back Sarin turned and walked down the beach homing in on her mother.

"Is she going to be ok?" Nina asked worriedly.

"She'll be fine. I cannot do much for her. I only specialize in flesh wounds. If Anthrax says she'll be fine, she'll be fine. Just to be safe tomorrow I'll have her taken up to the Roost to get checked out and make sure there's no scaring. Just keep her comfortable the coughing will go away in a bit. When it does get some fluids in her."

Tina stood up and stretched.

"You know how to ruin a night, kid."

"Sorry, I just didn't want her to die." Nina replied worriedly.

"I know you're new to this, but take it easy. You've got to learn the others and they need to learn you. Challenging everyone isn't going to make you very popular, especially with the more powerful fallen angels. Remember what Kita said about weaknesses. You may beat Sarin today, but now you have a target on your back and she will come after you with a vengeance. Don't let her beauty fool you. She's bad enough with just her pistols, mean, nasty, and vicious. War is another beast all together. Next to Kita, she's the last one you want to cross." Tina cautioned.

"Then what were you doing with her? She sounds like the last thing I high angel would want anything to do with."

"And when did you become an expert on high angels? Listen, things aren't always as they seem and people aren't always as they seem. The evilest fallen angel can be the kindest among us and the highest of us can also be the wickedest. Light or dark, and good or evil is not black and white. Remember that. Every angel is complex and has different motivations. Sarin can be a sweetheart and I can be a bitch, nether has to do with what's on our backs. Understand?"

"I...think so." Nina sighed heavily and walked down to the water. "This was supposed to be fun and I've ruined just about everyone's night."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. No one's attacked us, there's no fighting among us, and there hasn't been an urgent call of alarm from somewhere. If the worse of it is some innocent kid crosses a fallen angel, Kita goes away upset, and my playtime is interrupted, I can live with that." Tina admitted.

"That sounds awful," Avril commented coming up behind them to lean over and retch in the surf.

Nina put her arm around her to keep her steady. When Avril finished she leaned against Nina moaning softly.

"As an angel you get a new definition of awful. You'll be amazed at what people will do to one another. Broken bones, large lacerations, bullet wounds aren't awful, just a minor inconvenience. Seeing all your friends killed in front of you and being locked in a walking iron maiden is awful. Seeing your sister in a tank missing everything from her chest to her thighs is awful. Watching soldiers you know and love coming into a casualty collection point mangled and dead is awful. Seeing on of Kita's rampages is awful."

Avril doubled over again and threw up in to the surf. When she stood up again she groaned.

"This is more the punishment I thought I'd get from Black Rose."

Tina chuckled.

"My sister rarely punishes for stupidity. And in your case this isn't punishment, this is just getting even. I am sure Anthrax and Sarin have their hands full with my sister. You haven't seen her upset yet, but you'll understand when you do."

Nina swallowed hard.

"Will she forgive me and be the same?"

"Of course she will. She does to everyone. She will be extremely hard and more forgiving with you then the rest. She likes you a lot, but not in the same way as with others. She likes having her flock of ravens around, but didn't want you in it. She hasn't shared with me why yet. I can place a guess."

"What's that?" Nina asked curiously.

"Oh, that's for me to know and see if it plays out." Tina grinned.

"Way to be annoying," Nina grumbled.

"If I gave it away it wouldn't a surprise for you."

"What is she going to marry me?" Nina growled.

Tina laughed.

"She's been there, done that. I doubt she'll ever do it again."

"Ok, I think I'm done." Avrile groaned.

"Maybe we should get you back up to the village where we can keep an eye on you." Tina suggested.

"All this because I wanted your attention." Avril laughed weakly.

"Well, you have it now," Nina smiled.

"For how long?"

"For longer than Kita said. I can make her life miserable if I have to."

Tina laughed outright.

"That I want to see. You've got some stiff competition from Snowy."

"What is her deal anyway?" Nina asked.

"I have no idea. I've been wondering that myself. She's gone from being one of the sweetest people you'll ever know to one of the nastiest and meanest. She's been blaming my sister for everything these last couple of months. I do plan on asking her before my sister does."

"Why? I mean if Kita's going to do it."

"Because she knows and I know that she has to tell me the truth. There is no lying to me. Kita respects her to much to bring me along when she does confront her. I want to know the real reason why, not what she's going to tell Kita. Kita's given up a lot and done more for her than for any other person, even herself. It's not fair to Kita. I know love isn't fair, but even this goes far beyond that. Right now Kita's taking it very, very well. I'm waiting for the other feather to fall. For once she might be using that pain and anguish for a useful purpose, like driving this war forward finally. I'm hoping we don't have another Sarin situation."

"What was that? Ah...White Rose?" Avril asked weakly.

"She burned down a good part of the city of Leedings in a broken hearted rage."

"She did that?" Nina exclaimed.

"Yep. I went with her to protect the innocent that were caught up in the middle."

"I was told the Red Legion burned it. She really did that?" Nina pressed.

"Oh yes."

"I'm going kick her ass next time I see her."

Tina stopped and looked at Nina, "oh?"

"She burned our house down." Nina fumed.

"You do have a new home and a new life. I would consider that compensation." Tina warned.

"And what about everyone else?"

"She's been working to improve their lot too. I know she was upset about the conditions she found you in."

"That still doesn't make it right."

"What would you like for her to make a public apology? Go out and rebuild the houses herself? Or would you rather her use her influence to push people like our Dad into action who can do much more. She's making up for it, don't worry. I wouldn't let her forget it."

Nina grumbled, but said nothing more. She'd talk to Kita on her own. Together they helped Avril up to an open table. Tina disappeared to go salvage her night leaving the teenagers alone.

They weren't alone long when Avril's friends returned.

"What happened to you Avril?" One of the large boys asked.

Avril coughed before answering.

"Finding out what happens when you piss off an angel."

"Did she do this to you?" He pointed at Nina. "I'll pound her."

Avril shook her head, "Oh please, James. She tossed us around like rage dolls. This came from the one called Anthrax. I don't suggest making them mad. She did this just for Nina making Black Rose mad. Even the white one is mean."

Nina laughed, "She wasn't mean, just unhappy we interrupted her make out session with one of the other angels. You'd be unhappy to."

"Ewww, they're so old to be doing that." A girl exclaimed.

"They look older than they are. Most are in their mid twenties. Katie's only nineteen." Nina defended.

"Still old."

"I'm supposed to look that old soon."

"That sucks."

"I don't know if it does or not. I'm supposed to age to about thirty and then stay the same for thousands of years."

Nina was bombarded with questions, which she answered as best she could. Avril continued to cough, but clung happily to Nina for the rest of the night. Nina felt like a conquering queen holding court, she had everyone's attention and her whims taken care of.

Kita sat on the beach tossing shells back into the sea. She was doing her best to try and forget what Nina had said. It was hard, because it was compounded with her troubles with Snowy.

She put her head on her knees wondering what she was going to do. She'd been faithfully with Snowy since the beginning and now it looked like the end. The problem was the story wasn't over yet.

She still found it hard that she had been that hard to be with. No one else who was that close to her seemed so put out. Sarin and Tina had been more than supportive and helpful. Sighing she looked up at the stars and the moon hanging out over the water.

The sound of footsteps and voices caused Kita to turn invisible. She didn't feel like talking to anyone. She got up and went to go find another quiet spot to reflect.

Want the newest and freshest Kita stories? Follow me on Patreon and for only a few bucks a month get new stories, artwork, giveaways, and access to the Kita library!

https://www.patreon.com/FallenAngelKita

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 1.4K 28
The quiet is unnerving, everyone is on edge, waiting for a new chaos to be unleashed. The Mavericks have never had to deal with such a calculated att...
475 0 52
In a certain time, disasters and crimes have gotten so bad, the birth and death rates are violently fluctuating! To keep death rates from risin...
21.4K 1K 21
Best rank in Science Fiction #194. The continuation of Kita's adventures. She meets new friends, explores new areas, and continues her fight against...
201 7 19
Thousands of years have passed since the old interstellar hegemony collapsed, stranding mankind on hundreds of worlds, and now these scattered civili...