14

Get Fall and Rise (book 3 of the Ascension series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084MBQ1BF

Kita, with Anthrax and Tina, knocked on the door to Nina and her father's new room

Kita, with Anthrax and Tina, knocked on the door to Nina and her father's new room. The door slide open and Nina greeted her with a sad smile.

"Hi." The sadness in her voice made her want to cry.

"Can we come in?" Kita tried to be as polite as possible.

"Dad?"

Nina's father nodded. Kita and the others entered. Thomas' shoulder was bandaged and his arm in a sling. He had a devastated look on his face and barely acknowledged the angels.

"How are you doing Mr. Welsh?" Tina asked.

"How do you think?" He grunted, not hiding his contempt for the three angels. "You could have saved her!" He yelled in frustration.

"We tried, believe me." Tina replied sympathetically.

"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking her." He pointed at Kita.

Kita sighed. "Even I am only so fast and I cannot anticipate every move. Sarin is very fast, all most as fast as I am. I had to make a choice. I chose to take the chance that she'd only wound you both and save Nina from certain death. What choice would you have made me make? If it wasn't for the bullets being slow I wouldn't have been able to save Nina."

Thomas grunted.

"Uhm, we do have a surprise for the both of you," Anthrax announced sweetly.

"I don't know if I want any more of your people's surprises." Thomas growled.

"You'll want this one." Tina said excitedly.

"You're enthusiasm at a time like this is disgusting." He continued.

"No, I think it's well placed," Tina returned without a hint of offense.

Kita stuck her head out the door and did something. She stepped back in followed by Clare.

"Mom?" Nina gasped.

"Clare is that you?" Thomas said in disbelief while tears came to his eyes.

The pair rushed to her and buried her in hugs.

"I thought I'd lost you," Thomas whispered choking up.

"We thought you were dead," Nina said around tears.

"Well...about that," Clare began.

"What is it?" Thomas asked.

"You're not a really hard ghost are you?" Nina asked trying to be funny.

"You're closer to the truth than you think," Clare smiled at Nina.

"I told you she doesn't miss a thing," Kita smiled.