Royals: Part 2

By royalkennedylover

*Second Book in the Royals Series* Jacqueline Baker never imagined that being her best friend's maid of hono... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19

Chapter 18

26.2K 458 93
By royalkennedylover

The link to the song above is what I imagine while Jackie is walking down the aisle, feel free to listen while you read. I've included a note in the chapter to prompt when you should play the music! 

---

"I think you should eat a little something," said Kate from next to Jackie.

Jackie tried to keep her face as still as possible, as to not disturb the makeup artist who was currently applying blush to her cheeks. "I'd rather not vomit while I'm walking down the aisle."

Kate and the women's respective makeup artists giggled, but Jackie was too on edge. It was 9:30 am on Saturday June 1st, 2012. Only an hour and a half until she and William would be arriving at Westminster Abbey.

"Oh, look, Jackie!" Carole called from her spot on the couch.

Jackie looked to the TV, which she had insisted be left on, so she could watch the news coverage of her wedding as she got ready. "Oh, no," Jackie laughed.

"Now, we're going to take a look at Prince Harry and Jackie Baker's relationship over the years," a reporter at E! News said, motioning to a huge screen behind her. "The earliest photo we have of the two of them together is this one, Harry and Jackie spotted together at a club in 2001."

Everyone in the room- Jackie, Kate, the makeup artists, Carole Middleton, and Camilla- laughed. The photo on the screen was of red-faced and wild-eyed Harry and Jackie, grinning near the bar of their favorite St. Andrew's clubs together. They weren't together at the time, and wouldn't be for 10 more years, however, they were already great friends, standing close for the photo. Harry was clutching his favorite drink (illegal drink, he was only 17), and Jackie was carrying a garish faux-snakeskin and silver purse. Jackie could remember the night, one of her first times out in University. She and Kate had gone out with Will and Harry, who was visiting his older brother at St. Andrews. Jackie had been struck by the way the paparazzi had found them almost immediately that night. Though the papers spread rumors to the contrary, their romance wouldn't begin for more than a decade. Harry had almost seemed like a little boy to Jackie, so she wasn't interested in being anything more than friends.

"How cute is that picture?" the reporter cooed. "It's so sweet to see the way they've grown up together." The picture on the screen changed. "Now this photo was released by Jackie herself when the engagement was announced."

"Oh, that's a wonderful photo, Jackie!" Camilla added from her seat next to Carole.

It was the picture of Jackie and Harry on the couch of the flat she, Kate, and William had shared at St. Andrew's. It had been taken in 2002, both Jackie and Harry looking a bit older. She still wasn't interested in him, though.

More photos taken by the paparazzi followed, one from every year between 2003 and 2010, mostly consisting of times the pair had run into each other in public, like a few charity events Jackie had attended with Kate and even a rugby match where they happened to have seats right next to each other.

"And then, the event that kindled the royal romance, only 14 short months ago, the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge." The reporter continued speaking as photos of Jackie and Harry at Will and Kate's wedding flashed across the screen. "And who can forget this photo?"

Jackie blushed as the most famous photo of her came up on the screen. The blurry photo of Jackie and Harry at Will and Kate's reception, their backs to the camera, with Harry's hand in a most inappropriate place.

"What a cheeky little thing," Carole laughed.

Camilla pretended to shield her eyes. "I can't believe you didn't give him a whack on the back of the head, dear. I know I would have."

Jackie smiled fondly at the photo before it disappeared, being replaced with more appropriate shots from their relationship over the past year.

The women chatted as they were all made-up. Jackie and Kate both wore very soft, natural makeup, Jackie only asked that her eyes be lined and shadowed so they looked as big as can be, her full lips filled in with soft pink lipstick. Jackie's hair was gently curled and put into a loose bun at the nape of her neck, a few tendrils of hair framing her face. Kate's hair was to be left down in her signature blow out, the top pulled back from her face with a pearl clip. Then, a knock on the door signaled it was time for Jackie to get into her dress.

"Jackie, darling, you look beautiful!" Vivienne Westwood gushed as she entered Jackie's apartment, pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you!" Jackie pulled back, admiring her designer's lovely black suit. "So do you!"

"Oh, pish posh. I wanted to wear something plain so all the focus would be on your beautiful gown." Vivienne would be arriving at the Abbey shortly before Jackie, there to make sure the dress was in perfect condition to walk down the aisle after the 6 minute car ride from Kensington Palace to Westminster Abbey.

"I can't wait to put it on," Jackie said, her voice full of excitement.

"Well, let's get started!"

Kate, Carole, and Camilla all took photos on their personal cameras as Vivienne and her assistant helped Jackie into her dress. It zipped up like a glove, and the room was filled with oohs and ahhs. Jackie admired the dress she had fallen in love with 6 months before, specially designed by Vivienne just for her. The high, broad neckline revealed her collarbones in the most flattering way, the lace in the back tapered ever so slightly to reveal her natural tan. The sleeves were long and elegant, the full skirt ending in a very small train, the perfect length.

"Veil and tiara?" asked Vivienne.

"Wait-" Jackie walked as carefully as she could, avoiding any piece of furniture that could tear her dress. She made her way to her purse, sitting on the couch that had been shoved out of the way, along with the rest of the sitting room furniture, to make room for all the makeup artist equipment. From her purse, she pulled two photos. The first, her mother and father on their wedding day.

The second, Princess Diana, looking elegant at a state banquet, the Lover's Knot tiara perched atop her blonde hair.

"I want to have these on me, somewhere," Jackie said, handing the photos to Vivienne.

Vivienne smiled at the photos. Her eyes were knowing as she said, "I've sewn a small pocket on the inside of the lining at your hip just for this purpose."

Jackie laughed as Vivian practically crawled under her skirt, fumbling around for the hidden pocket. Once the designer climbed back out, her hair a bit ruffled, Jackie rested her hand on her hip, feeling the presence of her loved ones who could only attend the wedding in spirit.

Then, it was time for the veil and accessories. Jackie clipped her mother's diamond pendant around her neck, giving it a kiss and a squeeze. She clipped in the Queen Mother's pearl drop earrings the Queen had gifted her with, and the final touch was removed from its black velvet box.

"Wow," Kate breathed, as Jackie's hairdresser placed the Lover's Knot tiara atop her head. Jackie touched the dangling tear-drop pearls, which quivered under her touch. The last time the tiara had been worn was by Harry's mother in 1991, 21 years before. Seeing herself in the tiara she had seen so many times before on television in her childhood was absolutely overwhelming. Her veil was added, thin and trimmed in lace, reaching down to her elbows. There was another round of oohing and ahhing, Kate's, Carole's, and Camilla's cameras flashing.

"Jackie!" said Kate, pointing to the TV.

Jackie smiled so widely her cheeks ached at the sight of Harry and Charles climbing the steps to the Abbey. Harry looked so incredibly handsome in his black Blues and Royals uniform, the same one he had worn to Will and Kate's wedding. Harry looked so happy, laughing with Charles and the members of the church that greeted them at the door. She could hardly wait for the moment they were finally reunited at the end of the aisle.

"Harry and Prince Charles have arrived at the Abbey," the reporter announced. "The wedding party has not been officially announced, so we've been speculating for quite a while. Obviously, Jackie's mother and father have both passed away, so there was great debate on who would be walking her down the aisle. So, it looks to us that it is most likely going to be Prince William who will do the job, as he has not arrived with the groom at this point. The Duke of Cambridge and Jackie Baker have been friends for years, and the Duke, along with the Duchess of Cambridge, was responsible for the introduction of Prince Harry and Jackie over 10 years ago."

"They've figured you out," observed Carole.

"Speaking of William, where is he?" Jackie asked, looking at the clock. It was nearing 10:15, Jackie and William were scheduled to leave for the Abbey at exactly 10:54.

As if on cue, the door opened, William walking in, already dressed in his red Irish Guard uniform. "The beautiful bride!" he greeted, giving Jackie a warm hug.

"I was worrying you weren't going to show," Jackie laughed, kissing William on the cheek.

"You should have asked Charles to do it," said Camilla with a grin. "He would have been here hours ago."

"My father tried to pay me off to get the job," William joked. He greeted Kate with a kiss and said, "They told me to send you down, you and the bridesmaids are supposed to leave soon. You too, Carole and Camilla."

Carole and Camilla both hugged Jackie, reminding her how beautiful she looked. Kate let out a little squeal and gave Jackie a hug. "Good luck on the car ride over- I'll see you there!"

Jackie squeezed her friend, trying to calm her own nerves. "Thank you, Kate. I love you."

"I love you too! Bye!" Kate called, leaving Jackie's apartment with Carole and Camilla and closing the door behind them.

Jackie took a deep breath, trying to relieve the constant fluttering in her stomach. William helped himself to the spread of snacks that had been set out for the women earlier that morning. "Want anything?"

"I don't think I should, I'm scared I'll puke," Jackie said with a nervous laugh.

"Don't be too worried, you look wonderful, and I promise I won't let you fall."

---

"Can you hear them?" William asked.

Jackie nodded, her eyes wide. It was 10:54 am. She and William had just walked through the doors of Kensington Palace into a white tented walkway that led to the famous glass-topped Rolls Royce. The sound of the cheering crowds was absolutely deafening. Even though she and William were shielded by the white tent, they were chanting her name.

A few aides and William helped Jackie climb into the car, tucking the skirt of her dress inside as carefully as they could. At that point, the crowd was going wild. They could finally see the bride, and she could see them. More people than she had ever seen in her life were packed along the street, waving union flags, handmade signs, and the "Harry and Jackie" tea towels. Jackie smiled, waving in their direction as William slid into the car next to her.

"This is the most incredible thing I've ever seen," Jackie whispered as the car began it's 6 minute drive to the Abbey.

"Take it all in, it'll be over before you know it," William said, giving a wave to the cheering, endless crowds.

Jackie waved and smiled to a group of little girls pressed to the front of the barricade as they passed. "I wish I could bring my phone so I could take pictures."

"You could take a selfie when you're walking down the aisle," William suggested.

"Dammit, I left my phone at my flat! We've got to turn around!"

Jackie and Will laughed, relieving some of the knots in her stomach. They continued to wave until the Abbey came into view. Jackie turned to William, "Please don't let me fall."

William laughed as the car pulled to a stop. "Never."

Jackie could see Kate standing at the base of the steps, beaming in her beautiful, cream colored matron of honor gown, her flowing skirt rippling in the light breeze. The weather was perfect, a comfortably warm temperature, not a cloud in the sky. The car door was opened, hands reaching out to help Jackie from the car. The crowd's roar hit a new level of loud. Jackie looked out of the sea of faces, waving and smiling. She wished she could thank each person for coming, but it would take weeks. Her veil fluttered in the breeze, the tiara keeping it in place. She was conscious of the pictures of her mother, father, and Diana against her hip, as if they were there with her.

Jackie felt William approach her, holding out his hand. Jackie took it, squeezing it tightly as she repeated, "Don't let me fall."

Will laughed, squeezing back. "I promise I won't."

"If I go down, you're coming with me,"Jackie reminded. She could feel Kate pick up her train, pulling it taunt. Then, she and William walked forward together, into the open doors of the Abbey.

They were met in the doorway by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the same priest who had married William and Catherine. Jackie was hardly aware of the brief conversation they had, her mind racing. The Abbey was absolutely packed with people, most of whom Jackie had never met. Considering Jackie didn't have any remaining family, and the only other true friend she had besides Kate, Emily, had sold her secrets to the tabloids, the only guest she had invited personally was her old boss, Jessica.

"Jackie, it's time."

Jackie's attention went back to the priest, who was looking at her expectantly. "Thank you."

She took William's arm with a firm grip, giving him a nervous smile. "Don't let-"

"I won't let you fall," William said, giving her a reassuring smile.

"I can't see my feet with this cobweb in my face," she said, referring to her veil, "so I'm counting on you."

William laughed, shaking his head. "I promise."

Jackie gave William a look of mock suspicion out of the corner of her eye, pursing her lips. "I guess we'll see."

(See the video above for the song Jackie walks down the aisle to- play it while you read for the full effect!)

And with that, the choir began to sing, the orchestra began to play. The audience stood, Jackie tightening her grip on Will's arm to vice-like. Then, the procession began.

The voices of the King's College Choir swelled and filled the vaulted ceilings with angelic sound. The beautiful, white blossom-filled trees lined the red carpeted aisle, giving the stone Abbey a heavenly look. Jackie smiled under the stares of the hundreds of people watching her, and the millions that would be watching on their TVs, computers, and phones. She could see David and Chrissie Abbott amongst the faces of celebrities and foreign royals, giving them extra big smiles. Chrissie gave Jackie a little wave, and seeing her new friend's reassuring smile eased her nerves a bit. Elizabeth Davidge was beaming at Jackie from her seat near the aisle, the most emotion her lady-in-waiting had ever shown.

Her heart fluttered in her chest, the weight of the occasion starting to finally sink in. The heavenly choir narrated her journey from commoner to Duchess, the miraculous event taking place in the Abbey where generations of royals had married before Jackie and Harry. Princess Diana's funeral procession had gone down the same aisle just 15 years ago. So much had taken place in the same place where Jackie now stood, her own story becoming part of the extensive tapestry of history. It was remarkable, inexplicable. But it was her reality. 

Finally, Jackie and William passed through the arch that separated the main area of the Abbey from the altar. The most important guests, including the royal family, were seated there, and at the end of the aisle stood Harry. Jackie beamed at the sight of her groom, standing alone with his back to her. She wished he could turn around to look, but tradition forbade it. And since Harry was gracious enough to "share" his best man with Jackie, he didn't have anyone whispering the play by play in his ear, as he had done for William when Kate made her walk down the aisle a year before.

The voices of the choir reached their loudest and most beautiful point as Jackie and William climbed up the stairs to the altar. Jackie's heart swelled as she reached Harry, her nervousness melting away in an instant. As she came to a stop at his side, Harry turned, finally able to look at his bride.

Harry's eyes were sparkling as he beamed at Jackie. "You look so, so beautiful," he whispered over the singing.

The adrenaline that had been coursing through Jackie's veins all morning was suddenly gone. The hard part was over. Her stomach wasn't filled with butterflies anymore, but she was suddenly aware that she hadn't eaten anything since the night before.

"I'm hungry," Jackie whispered back.

She could feel Harry and William laughing on both sides of her as she said, "Do either of you have a snack?"

"Sorry, I already ate what I brought," Harry said, leaning in so Jackie could hear him over the organ that was playing the final notes of the song.

The ceremony began. There were speeches and singing, then, finally, came the vows.

"Henry Charles Albert David, wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health? And, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?"

Jackie had to bite her lip hold back laughter, a nervous habit of her's, as Harry answered, "I will."

Through the stone walls of the Abbey, a distant roar could be heard. It was the crowd outside, cheering as they watched a live feed of Jackie and Harry exchanging vows on their phones.

"Jacqueline Louisa, wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together according to God's law in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health? And, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?"

Jackie's stomach fluttered. She grinned at Harry as she answered, "I will."

The muffled roar of the crowd came again, echoing through the ancient stone walls of the Abbey, sounding almost as if they were underwater. Goosebumps rose on her skin. It was at that moment, elicited by the rumbling sound, that Jackie fully understood the weight of what had occurred. She wasn't Jackie Baker anymore. She was Jacqueline, a public figure, a servant of her country. Her life would never be the same. 

Then, Jackie was "officially" given away by William to Harry. After the priest took Jackie's right hand from William's and handed it to Harry, Will made a quick switch from Jackie's left side to Harry's right, earning soft laughter from the crowd, changing roles from the escort of the bride to best man.

The rings were exchanged as Jackie and Harry repeated their vows. The whole ceremony went by in a blur, lots of standing, sitting, singing, and listening as countless speakers took their turn at the podium. Jackie would occasionally catch Harry's eye, giving him a smile, which was always returned.

After what seemed like the blink of an eye, it was time to sign to wedding certificate. Jackie and Harry, followed by Will, Kate, Camilla and Charles made their way through a doorway at the back of the altar, out of view of the audience and the cameras. Jackie let out a deep breath, able to relax all the muscles in her body that had been tensed for so long.

Jackie immediately went to Camilla, who was carrying a small clutch. "Do you have anything to eat in there?"

Camilla and the others laughed. Her soon to be step-mother-in-law dug through her clutch, pulling out a cereal bar. "I always have an extra in case of emergencies, it's a grandmother thing."

Jackie let out a sigh of relief, giving Camilla a grateful hug. "Thank you, I owe you my life."

Kate cupped her hands under Jackie's mouth to protect the gown from any crumbs while Jackie practically inhaled the snack, which put a small dent in her hunger.

"Now that you've eaten can we get on with it?" Harry joked.

Jackie laughed, composing herself before turning to the justice.

The justice was waiting with the certificate, which was first signed by Harry in his usual chicken-scratch signature: Harry. Then, he passed the pen to Jackie, just as he had when they had signed Will and Kate's certificates as witnesses. Jackie took the pen, signing her full name for the last time: Jacqueline Louisa Baker. From then on, it would just be "Jacqueline".

After the certificate was signed by both Will, Kate, and the justice, there was a small celebration of hugs and laughter. The justice cleared her throat, opening an envelope in her hand. "I received word from Her Majesty this morning that you are now, officially, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor."

The title carried a heavy past, the last Duke and Duchess of Windsor were the former King Edward VIII and his American divorcee wife, Wallis Simpson. King Edward was elder brother to the Queen's father, King George. Edward abdicated the throne to marry Wallis, changing the course of history. Following his abdication, Edward was given the Dukedom of Windsor. Many decades had passed since the scandal that had threatened the monarchy, and it was now up to Jackie and Harry to give the title new life.

Harry held out his arm to Jackie. "Shall we, Your Highness?"

Jackie smiled, her heart pounding. Resting her head on his shoulder, she said, "We shall."

Jackie couldn't have described how she felt even if she wanted to, an overwhelming mix of happiness, excitement, and the feeling that it was all a dream.

The wedding party arranged themselves at the doorway leading back to the altar. Charles and Camilla exited first, leaving Jackie and Harry standing arm in arm, Kate picking up Jackie's train and holding it taunt, William next to her.

Trumpets sounded, the choir started up again, and wedding bells rang in a lighthearted melody. Together, Jackie and Harry walked out into the sight of the world as man and wife.

---

"I can't believe this is real," Jackie breathed, staring out over the sea of people packed into the street outside of Buckingham Palace, the mass spilling down the street and continuing farther than she could see. "It feels so different when I know they're here for us."

"Do you hear what they're saying?" Harry asked.

Jackie laughed as the crowds roar unified into a single chant. "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

Jackie, Harry, Will, Kate, and the rest of the royal family had crowded out onto the balcony of Buckingham Palace, waving to the crowds below. Jackie couldn't believe the sheer number of people looking up at her waving and chanting and cheering.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!"

Jackie turned to Harry, grinning. They leaned in, Jackie resting her hand on Harry's cheek as they gave the crowd a good, solid kiss. It was met with a joyous uproar from below. Jackie and Harry laughed as they pulled away, both glowing after their first kiss as husband and wife.

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor stayed on the balcony for a few more minutes, basking in the glory of their "fairytale wedding" as it came to a close. Of course, they still had the reception, but Jackie had a feeling she would never see such an incredible sight again in her lifetime. The other members of the family dwindled, retreating back inside the palace. Then, it was only Jackie and Harry once again. They waved, smiled, and were met with more cheers for an "encore" kiss.

"Want to give them one more?" Harry asked, his eyes expectant.

Jackie nodded, leaning in to give her husband a final kiss before they joined hands and retreated towards the door that led back inside to the palace. Jackie glanced over her shoulder one last time, taking in the incredible crowd, promising herself she would never forget the sight sh saw and how happy she felt at that exact moment.

---

A million thanks to Atlantismyhome for the wonderful edit of Jackie and Harry on the balcony!

Jackie and Harry are finally married! What did you think?? I had so much fun writing this chapter, it took me less than a day to write and is about 3 times as long as usual. (I added a photo of Jackie's entire wedding outfit!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 3.9K 20
*Seventh book in the Royals Series* Now a seasoned member of the British Royal Family and a mother of three, Jackie Baker's world is almost unrecogni...
82.6K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
665K 12K 19
*First Book in the Royals Series* Jacqueline Baker is Kate Middleton's lifelong best friend. When Kate becomes engaged to Prince William of Wales, Ja...
578K 34.1K 43
A younger sister cannot wed before an older sister. It's a law of their society, a rule vehemently obeyed by prominent families in the nobility, and...