Blurred Lines | ✓ [1st Editio...

Per shevvie

"When you start to really look at some people, you begin to notice the masks on their faces chipping away." M... Més

01 | Meet The Barbies
02 | You Don't Know Me
03 | Old Feelings (Don't) Go Away
04 | RSVP ASAP
05 | Mason
07 | Ferris Wheel
08 | Fragile Time
09 | A Familiar Face
10 | Graduation
11 | Old Ex/Friend/Prankster
12 | You Look...
13 | Creep
14 | Blurred Lines
15 | A Sickness
16 | Hesitation
17 | Persuasion
18 | Tremble
19 | New Beginning
20 | Joy
21 | Home
22 | Haunted Pasts
23 | Lullaby
24 | Before We Land
25 | A Little Happiness
26 | Wake Me Up
27 | When Feelings Collide
28 | Catching Up
29 | Closure
30 | Back To Japan
31 | Under A Sky Of Pink (Epilogue)
Afterword + Playlist

06 | Birthday

124K 5.3K 1.4K
Per shevvie

"I've become so numb,
I can't feel you there.
Become so tired,
So much more aware.
I'm becoming this,
All I want to do.
Is be more like me,
And be less like you."

Sooner rather than later, Saturday arrived. I can explain why I wasn't the least bit excited about turning eighteen: simply because Mason won't be celebrating it with me.

It was wishful thinking on my part, for believing and hoping that he'd wake up before his birthday. It dampened my already suffocating spirit, but I payed no heed to it.

After all, I was used to it.

Even when Mason was awake and well, we would celebrate together by having breakfast and then we'd go our separate ways. Instead of Meilleur, he attended an equally prestigious private school, The Private Boys Academy of Northern France.

Not many people knew of his existence, mainly because I would blatantly refuse to speak of him. He was after all, quite the infamous troublemaker. Mason was involved in a lot of pranks and fights and well, pranks. Even though he was from a completely different school, Meilleureans still knew of him like how the Private Boys know of the Royals.

I, on the other hand, was the goody-two-shoes of the family. Well, sort of. I had a clean record. That's about it, but if you asked me, that's a pretty great accomplishment compared to Mase's.

The only thing we had in common was our popularity. And even so, we differed greatly from that as while Mason was popular for being the well-liked prankster, I was popular for being a grade A bitch.

The first thing I did after waking up was to head to the hospital to visit Mason. After all, I had a couple of hours to spare before the theme park even opened. I never was much of a sleeper.

"Miss Lee, is that you? Sweetie, what are you doing here at this hour?" A portly, friendly nurse exclaimed when I walked into Mason's ward.

"It's his birthday today," I murmured, not bothering to cast a second glance at the woman. I made a bee-line towards the bed, sitting daintily on the edge. The room was consumed by grey darkness, dimly lit by the bedside lamp that emitted an orange glow. Although the curtains were open, the sunlight was a no-show. I guess I really was here early, since the sun hasn't risen yet.

"Oh! Well it's your birthday too, isn't it? Twins, aren't you?" she asked. I nodded faintly, and she wished me a happy birthday before exiting the room in a hurry.

The nurse probably got the hint that I wanted to be alone.

For a few minutes, I simply sat on the edge of the bed and held his hand. I swung my legs back and forth, the tips of my shoes scrapping gently against the linoleum.

I debated on what I wanted to say to Mason. I found it quite foolish, since he was in comatose, but the doctor once told me that Mason might still be able to hear voices.

I came up with nothing. There weren't many things to say to him, since I shared about my life to him on a weekly basis. I had run out of things to say, so I settled on the most simple greeting.

"Happy birthday," I said softly, trying my best to sound more cheery than depressing. I don't think it worked.

It hardly does.

-

"That is so cute!" Bianca gushed, enviously eyeing the chiffon blouse I wore. It was a lightweight, creamy purple blouse with off-shoulder straps that fell just over my shoulder. I had to admit, it was one of the nicest items of clothing I had purchased so far from the newest Marc Jacobs Spring Collection. I paired the blouse with plain distressed jean shorts and my simple beige Chanel ballerina flats.

Bianca was dressed in a baby blue A-line dress from Juicy Couture and Adia was decked out head-to-toe in Gucci.

I was probably the most casually dressed here, despite it being my birthday.

We're going to a theme park, Marissa. Why the hell would you want to wear high heels or a dress? The logical part of me scolded.

"Thank you," I said, smiling slightly. "You both look great."

"We know," Adia exclaimed happily, twirling a lock of dark hair around her finger.

We idled around the front entrance as people starting to file into the theme park. All of them stopped by to wish me a happy birthday before proceeding to the makeshift gift tent, where they placed the presents they had brought along with them.

It took about an hour before the last of the Meilleureans arrived, and we closed the gate. Anyone else who wanted to come in would have to go through security now.

"I heard that the Royals might be coming." My ears perked up and I swivelled my head towards where the voice came from. I didn't recognise the girl, but she was busy chattering to her friends who looked equally as excited as she was.

"Really? Wow, it must really be the event of the year," her friend sighed in awe. Bianca stiffened beside me, and she narrowed her eyes slightly.

"That is, if they even show up," Bianca muttered under her breath angrily. I pretended I didn't hear what she said, and instead painted a cheery smile onto my face.

"Thank you for inviting me!"

"Happy birthday!"

"Wow, you look great!"

I nodded politely, shooting everyone smiles when they walked passed me. When I was sure the coast was clear, I rolled my eyes and pursed my lips.

I knew no one really cared that it was my birthday. They only cared about the damned theme park.

I glanced around me, noticing for the first time that Adia and Bianca were nowhere to be found. Great.

I scanned the crowd, eyes landing on a girl wearing a bright baby blue dress. There she is. I squinted, realising that she was hanging off the arm of Joshua Lenon, the captain of the swim team. I watched as he whispered something to her, and Bianca threw her head back and laughed lightly, a bright grin spreading across her face.

Hmm. I'll have to ask her what's up with her and Joshua soon.

I couldn't find Adia, and decided that she probably went off to have fun on one of the rides. After all, she really liked rollercoasters.

I shook my head slightly, heading towards one of the many cafes in Disney. It was pretty empty, save for a bored looking boy in a beanie, sitting at the front of the cafe. I payed him no attention and headed straight to the back of the shop, flopping down onto a soft, comfy leather couch.

12.30 PM

Still a long way to go before the day's over, I thought miserably.

"Welcome to Disney Cafe! May I get you anything?" a waitress chirped, clicking her pen and looked up at me expectantly.

"A blueberry muffin and a coffee. Black, no sugar," I said quietly, and she nodded and quickly scribbled down my order. With that, she quickly headed back to the kitchen.

"Marissa? What are you doing here?"

I raised my head slowly, before catching Yuko's curious expression and allowing my eyes to fall down to the dark oak table again. I tried to hide my surprise that he came to the celebration, and briefly wondered if the rest of the Royals were here, too. After all, they hardly ever attended any events outside of their social circle.

I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, much less Yuko. It seemed like every time I was around him, I was caught between punching him in the face and kissing his face.

It was reckless and dangerous of me to think like that.

I heard him sigh softly, before he walked towards my table and sit beside me without a word.

"Here's your coffee, and your muffin. Enjoy!" the waitress said, placing the food on the table swiftly. She broke the silent spell, and I nodded slightly.

"Thank you," I murmured, not bothering to actually look at her. The waitress headed back without another word.

"Happy birthday," Yuko said quietly, drumming his fingers against his jean-clad thigh. He placed a thick book onto the table, and leaned back in his chair while crossing his arms.

I snorted, what was so happy about growing older?

Yuko cast me a semi-confused, semi-amused glance. I took a sip of my coffee, revelling in the bitter taste.

"I guess I should say 'Thank you'," I shrugged, taking a bite out of my muffin. Yuko eyed the muffin, a weird emotion flashing in his eyes. It looked almost nostalgic.

"And I guess I should say 'Welcome'," Yuko noted casually. "What are you doing here anyway? It's your birthday."

"So?"

"Shouldn't you be having fun?" Yuko asked, raising an eyebrow. Under the dim fluorescent light, his chocolate brown eyes looked black. The dark orbs searched my own, a strange intensity in them.

"Who says I'm not having fun?" I retorted, narrowing my eyes slightly. Yuko rolled his eyes, a ghost of a smile appearing on his lips.

"Never took you for much of an introvert," he commented, staring out of the window and at the students running past, laughing and chattering loudly.

"Never took you for much of a busy-body, either," I murmured, eyeing him over the smooth porcelain lid of my coffee mug.

A soft, flitting laugh floated into my ears, catching me off-guard for a moment. I stared at Yuko, slightly wide-eyed. An amused smile played on his lips, his eyes twinkling with humour.

"What?" he asked, when he caught my bewildered gaze. I blushed slightly, staring at my hands.

I shook my head, "Nothing."

But it wasn't nothing. His laugh was a strange, imperfect sound that made my heart leap, made my voice stick to the back of my throat.

Who knew? the playful, hopelessly romantic part of my conscious giggled.

I shook my head again, No. You're just surprised because you haven't heard him laugh before.

Maybe. I doubt so.

Don't doubt yourself, Marissa. Don't you dare.

"Why aren't you having fun outside?" I asked curiously. Yuko glanced at me, a small smile still remaining on his lips.

"Maybe I don't find the outside much fun either," he murmured. "Too noisy."

"It's a theme park."

"Yes, Marissa. I'm aware that I am in Disneyland."

"Don't sass me."

"Don't give me the opportunity to, birthday girl."

"You're horrible."

"So are you."

"Ugh!"

-

Happy Thursday, everybody! Hope you find this chapter to your liking :D Remember to vote & comment!

Image: Marissa, a black and white portrait of her wearing her birthday outfit.

Song of the Chapter: Numb, by Linkin Park.

Character Polaroid: Alexandra Knight, played by Auguste Abeliunaite.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Only His☑ Per Daddy Issues

Literatura romàntica

380K 9.2K 12
{COMPLETED} ... ''They can't be with you anyway. Cause you are mine. Understand that?'' ''What do you mean?'' ''You are mine. It is simple as it is...
576K 13.2K 85
[COMPLETED] {Wattys 2017} "Why does a bad boy like you want a good girl like me?" I asked. "Because, no other boy could treat you right like me" he...
236K 11.7K 65
Trevor Jenkins, a reclusive individual, appeared to have everything he wanted in life as the only son of a millionaire. However, behind the picture-p...
11.7K 408 24
Because both didn't want to show how much they were in pain. They try to drown the hurt with a lot of smiles. But there's only so much those facades...