Learning to Love

By DesiGirl123

Aman and Priya were forced to have an arranged marriage as part of a business deal made by their fathers. Am... More

Chapter 1- Aman
Chapter 2 Priya.
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50- Epilogue

Chapter 13

121K 2.9K 237
By DesiGirl123

           A thunderous sound erupted from the alarm clock sitting on the bedside table, interrupting both Aman and Priya’s deep slumber.  Priya sleepily reached over and slammed her hand over the snooze button.  She sat up and allowed her eyes adjust to the darkness that continued to envelop the room in the early morning hours.  Priya was taken aback at the unfamiliarity of her surroundings at first.  She had forgotten that she had spent the night in Aman’s room.  Her eyes drifted towards the sofa across the room.  There, Aman was still asleep.  Priya could make out the silhouette of his body as it lay peacefully on the sofa.  Priya stood up and walked toward the sofa. 

            “Aman.” She called softly, so she wouldn’t startle him.  Aman didn’t respond.  He was dead asleep. 

            “Aman, wake up.” Priya tried again, a little more loudly.  Aman rustled in his sleep, but didn’t open his eyes. 

            Priya stepped closer.  She bent down and sat on her knees, leaning against the arm rest where Aman’s head was.  She hesitated before placing her hand on Aman’s shoulder.  She tapped it gently. 

            “Aman.” She said, leaning in close to his ear. 

            Aman inadvertently grabbed Priya’s hand. He pulled her so that her elbow rested on his chest.  She felt her cheek grazing against his chin.  Aman’s eyes fluttered open.   He paused, assessing the sight before him. 

            “Priya? What are you doing?” he asked hoarsely. 

            Priya looked down.  She felt Aman’s chin moving against her ear as he spoke.  She wasn’t comfortable being so close to him.  She lifted her hand that was held by Aman’s hand.  He looked at their hands and immediately let go. 

            “Sorry.” He said as he sat up.  Priya stood up and took a step back, giving Aman room to stand up. 

            “Your alarm went off a few minutes ago. I was trying to wake you up.” Priya explained. 

            “Thanks.” Aman said, “I have an early morning meeting.  If I had slept through it, I would’ve been in so much trouble.”  He said with a smile.  

            Priya stifled a yawn.  Aman frowned.

            “You should go back to sleep. Sorry about the alarm. I forgot I set it.” Aman said. 

            Priya nodded, thankful that Aman had made such a wonderful suggestion.  She walked back towards the bed as Aman went into the bathroom.  Priya felt herself drift back into a deep sleep.  She let herself succumb to the comforts of Aman’s bed.

            Priya heard a knock at the door.  She groggily rose to answer it.  Sunlight seeped into the room.  Aman had left hours ago, and Priya hadn’t even noticed.  She realized that it was now late morning.  She swung the door open and was greeted by Payal’s cheerful face. 

            “Didi! You sleep too much.” Payal declared as she walking in. 

            “Payal, what time is it?” Priya asked. 

            “Almost ten.” Payal answered. 

            “I’m sorry I overslept.” It was so unlike Priya to sleep in this late.  Aman usually left around six in the morning and Priya woke up at eight.  She didn’t know why today she let herself stay in bed until ten. 

            “It’s okay. I just woke up half an hour ago.” Payal chuckled. 

            “So…what should we do today?” Priya asked.        

            “We can make breakfast or I guess it would be brunch now.  Then we can make lunch.  Does Jija-ji come home for lunch?  Did he say what he wanted for dinner?” Payal rambled on.

            “Payal!” Priya exclaimed trying to get Payal’s attention. 

            Payal stopped talking and looked at Priya, waiting for her to continue. 

            “He doesn’t let me cook.” Priya said quietly. 

            “You don’t cook?” Payal stared at Priya, wide eyed. “But you love to cook.  Who cooks then?” Payal was confused.

            “The chef cooks. The maids clean. I don’t really do much.” Priya explained. 

            “I guess when you’re the wife of someone so important, it would make sense for you not to do chores.  In India, though, we did everything. And we’re the daughters of someone very important.” Payal huffed. 

            Priya laughed. 

            “You’re so silly.” Priya said.

            “Didi…can we go shopping?” Payal asked suddenly. 

            “Shopping? Why?” Priya asked. 

            “America is so fashionable, especially New York.  There’s so much here that we couldn’t wear in India.  Please! Let’s go shopping.” Payal said excitedly. 

            “Sure. We can go shopping.  Let’s have breakfast first.” Priya relented. 

            “Thank you!” Payal jumped up and engulfed Priya in a hug. 

            After breakfast, the two sisters got ready to leave.  They both wore a salwar kameez in differed colors.  Priya opted for a more modest Anarkali style, while Payal chose to wear a short sleeve Churidar style.  As Priya slid her bangles on, Payal burst into the room without knocking. 

            “Didi! Hurry up!” Payal complained as she plopped herself onto Aman’s bed. 

            “Just give me a minute.” Priya said.

            Priya suddenly paused. 

            “Payal, we should ask Aman.” Priya declared.

            “He won’t mind.” Payal replied. 

            “But still…I’ll just call him and then we’ll leave.” Priya reasoned. 

            Payal groaned.  Priya reached for her cell phone and dialed Aman’s number. 

            “Hello?” Aman’s velvety voice answered.

            “Aman, I hope I’m not disturbing you.” Priya said.

            “Not at all Priya. What’s going on?” he asked.

            “Payal and I wanted to go shopping.” Priya said slowly.

            “Great! Payal will love that.” He replied.

            Priya stayed quiet.   

            “You called just to tell me you were going shopping?” Aman asked unsurely. 

            “Um…no. I was asking permission.” Priya said quietly. 

            “Priya, you don’t have to ask my permission to go shopping or go out or do anything really.  I’m not the type of husband who wants to control every aspect of his wife’s life.  Anytime you want to go somewhere, take the limo and go.  It would be nice, however, if you called to tell me if you’re planning on coming home late though.” Aman said sincerely. 

            Priya blushed.  She was glad she had her back turned towards Payal so that she couldn’t see her face as it reddened.  She was elated at how much freedom Aman was allowing her and at how much he trusted her to go out alone. 

            “Priya?” Aman said, trying to get her attention. 

            “Yes. Sorry. Umm thank you. We won’t stay out late.” Priya said quickly.

            “Okay. I’ll be home early, but you and Payal take your time.” Aman replied. 

            “Early? Why?” Priya asked.  

            “There just isn’t much to do today.” Aman said.  “Plus we wouldn’t want Payal thinking that I’m never around.” Aman chuckled. 

            “We’ll try to be done before you get home.” Priya said. 

            “Whatever you want, Priya.  My credit card is in my office.  It should be on the desk somewhere.” Aman told her. 

            “Oh okay. I’ll find it. Thank you.” It didn’t even occur to Priya that they would need Aman’s credit card. She was grateful that he’d told her.

            “Sure. Bye, Priya. See you at home.” Aman said before hanging up. 

            “So what did he say?” Payal interjected.  Priya had forgotten all about her.

            “He said we can go and his credit card is on his desk.” Priya said with a smile.

            “See! I don’t know why you worry. Jija-ji is so nice. He’s pretty cool too.” Payal said. 

            “Yeah he is.” Priya agreed. “Let me find his credit card and we’ll leave.”

            Priya went to Aman’s home office.  She’d only been inside of it twice, once when she first arrived and again when she gave Payal a tour of the mansion.  She never felt comfortable being around Aman’s business papers.  They seemed really important, and the last thing Priya wanted to do was misplace something significant.  She started carefully searching through the documents lying on the desk.  She lifted each document and file, looking underneath everything.  She still couldn’t find the small, platinum plastic card. There was only one pile left. The credit card must be underneath it. It had to be.  Priya’s eyes fell on the title of the third file in the pile. 

            “Aashritha Hotel and Resort, Mumbai.” Priya read aloud.  Curiosity got the best of her.  She opened the file.  A few photos fell out.  Priya picked them up.  The pictures were of an old, white haveli (mansion) somewhere near Mumbai.  The place seemed somewhat familiar to Priya, but she couldn’t readily identify it.  It was a beautiful building.  Maybe she had seen the hotel site with her father sometime in the past.  She decided to leave the matter alone.  She put the pictures back in the file.  Under the whole pile of files was the platinum credit card that Aman had given her before.  She grabbed it, and quickly left the office. 

            “You took long enough.” Payal chided as Priya made her way to the front door. 

            “Sorry. I found it though.” Priya said, holding up the credit card. 

            The driver was waiting by the limo.  He opened the passenger door.  Payal sat inside and scooted over to make room for Priya. 

            “So where are you taking me?” Payal asked once they were settled inside the limo. 

            “There’s this amazing boutique in the city. They have the best sarees.  We could try going to Queens. I know there are a lot of stores there. Maybe we’ll find a nice Salwar Kameez or two for you. Neha likes SoHo, but I don’t think the stores would have clothes for us.” Priya explained. 

            “Sarees and Salwars.  I can those in India. Didi, what about Western clothes?” Payal asked excitedly.

            “What about them?” Priya asked reproachfully.

            “We’re in America. We should be wearing jeans and sundresses.” Payal replied quietly. 

            “Payal! What would Baba say?” Priya said incredulously. 

            “He’s not here.  Jija-ji won’t care. I don’t see what the problem is.” Payal answered. 

            “I still don’t think it’s a good idea.” Priya said.

            “Come on Didi! You would look great in jeans! With a figure like yours, Jija-ji would flip.” Payal tried to convince Priya.

            “You can get them if you want. I’m not wearing them.” Priya said sternly. 

            Payal didn’t argue any further.  She knew better.  She knew that Priya wouldn’t relent.  She was very strict about the way she dressed ever since she was a teenager.  Payal wanted nothing more than to be modern, but Priya couldn’t care less. 

            They stopped by the boutiques that sold Indian clothes first.  Priya bought many new sarees. Payal gave in.  She couldn’t keep herself from buying some outfits.  Priya called Neha up and asked her to suggest a few places she could take Payal to shop for Western clothing.  Neha gave them the names and locations of too many stores to count.  Priya opted for whatever was closest to wherever they were. 

            “What about these?” Payal said, stepping out of the fitting room.

            “They’re too tight.” Priya commented.

            “You’re not even looking.” Payal complained.

            “It doesn’t matter. They all too tight. Try a bigger size.” Priya replied. 

            Payal scrutinized the jeans that she now wore.  She liked them. Priya hated them. 

            “I think I’ll get these.” Payal said, still looking at the mirror.

            “Okay, get them.  But you’re getting a bigger size.” Priya said.  She had the power of the credit card.  Payal couldn’t buy anything that Priya didn’t approve of. 

            “Fine.” Payal gave in. 

            Priya smiled to herself.  She was pleased with her victory.  They finished shopping and were on their way back home. 

            “How much do you think we spent?” Priya suddenly asked. 

            “I don’t know. A lot.” Payal said casually.

            “A few thousand dollars, I’m sure.” Priya said, looking worried.

            “Jija-ji won’t care. He like a gazillionaire!” Payal said, smiling with assurance. 

            “We shouldn’t just take advantage of his wealth.” Priya said.

            “He won’t care. Baba can pay him back if it’s really a big deal.” Payal suggested.

            “How would Baba feel about paying for your skimpy Western outfits, Payal?” Priya said sarcastically.

            “Hey! They aren’t skimpy. The dress I bought isn’t even that short. And I got bigger jeans.” Payal said defensively. 

            “Relax Payal. Baba doesn’t need to know.” Said Priya.

            Payal smiled.  Even though Priya didn’t approve of what Payal bought, Payal never had to worry about her telling their parents.  The sisters had an understanding between each other.  No matter how bad, they told each other everything.  Every single thing. And no one else needed to know about any of it, especially their parents.  Priya’s business deal marriage was the only thing she had kept from Payal.  She couldn’t bring herself to tell her, not yet.     

            Aman wasn’t home when the girls returned.  Priya was glad that they had beaten him home. 

            “I’m going to go try on the bigger jeans. I hope they fit.  You should try on that gold sari. It looked good in the store, but it seems to fancy for you.” Payal said as they entered the mansion.

            “Thanks Payal. I can always count on you to dampen the mood.” Joked Priya. 

            Payal beamed as she ascended the stairs.  Priya followed behind her.  A few minutes later, Payal barged into Aman’s room wearing her new pair of jeans. 

            “Look how great they are!” she announced. 

            Priya emerged from the bathroom, wearing the gold sari. 

            “See I told you a bigger size wouldn’t hurt. I think they look better than those tight ones.” Priya commented. 

            Payal didn’t say anything.  She stared at Priya with a wide smile.

            “What are you looking at?” Priya asked. 

            “You. That sari is amazing, Didi! Such style! You look beautiful.” Payal exclaimed. 

            “You do.” Aman’s voice interjected. 

            Priya turned around.  Aman was standing in the doorway, his eyes glued to her.  She blushed, lowering her gaze. 

            “Wow Payal.  Very modern.” He commented when he saw Payal’s outfit. 

            “I know right! I’m so fashion forward.” Payal joked. 

            Aman looked at Priya again.

            “Where are yours?” He asked. 

            “My…?” Priya asked, a little confused. 

            “Jeans.” Aman answered. 

            “I…I don’t…” Priya became flustered.        

            “I knew it!” Payal interjected.  “I told you Jija-ji would love to see you in jeans!  I mean she has a great figure, right? Why hide it under all these sarees?” Payal reasoned.

            “Payal.” Priya warned.           

            “She’s right, you know.  You should’ve gotten a pair.” Aman smirked. He knew Priya would never wear jeans. 

            “I’m going to go change.” Priya said, quickly scurrying back to the bathroom. 

            Aman chuckled. 

            “Don’t worry Jija-ji.  She’ll wear them one day.” Payal said.

            “How do you know?” Aman wondered. 

            “She obviously cares what you think. I bought her a pair on the sly.  Don’t tell her they’re from me.  She’ll wear them for you.  She’ll do anything for you.” Payal said confidently before leaving to go back to her own room. 

            Aman stood there flabbergasted.  The Priya Payal knew and the Priya he knew were so different.  Priya wouldn’t do anything for him.  She wouldn’t have his children.  She wouldn’t wear an evening gown. She sure as hell wouldn’t wear jeans for him. 

            Just then, Priya emerged from the bathroom, dressed in the Anarkali salwar kameez she was wearing earlier.  

            “Priya, would you do anything for me?” Aman asked suddenly. 

            Priya hesitated. 

            “It depends.” She finally answered. 

            “Would you do anything for Payal?” he asked. 

            “Of course.” Priya answered immediately. 

            She didn’t understand why Aman was asking her all these questions. 

            “Good.  Payal wants us to go out tomorrow night…on a date.” Aman lied. 

            Priya looked at him questioningly. 

            “It’s what husbands and wives do apparently.” Aman explained. 

            Priya was confused.  Payal hadn’t mentioned a date to her.  She would have to go out with Aman though, otherwise Payal would become suspicious. 

            “Alright.” Priya said.   

What could Aman possible be plotting with this whole date idea? Hmmm….

Sister bonding! Priya and Payal are like my sister and I.  She’s modern. I’m not, but she is older than me.  Payal is going to try to get Aman and Priya closer once she learns about this date night that was “her idea.”  

Btw “Aashritha” means one who gives shelter.  Totally appropriate for a hotel name, right? Plus it’s such a pretty name! 

Okay, I have to go up north for college orientation. I’ll be gone for a good five or so days, so I just had to update today!  You know what would make me really happy when I return home?  Reading the many comments my awesome readers are going to leave me!

Please vote and comment! I really want to know your opinions.  What do you think will happen on their date? What do you think the deal with the Aashritha hotel and resorts? Do tell.

VOTE and COMMENT!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

579K 27.4K 49
"Even though we are Arranged, yet i am so much in love with my Fiance. I just hope the feeling is mutual" Hello lovely readers, I am back with a new...
774K 41.2K 82
This book contains triggering things like stalking, I don't know what I was thing while writing this. And I was a stupid teenager. Sorry for that! P...
161K 7.2K 66
Married in the mothers' wombs, this is a story of two individuals and how they overcome the many obstacles life throws at them in a traditional backw...
1.1M 44.5K 47
Priyanka -> Priyanka is 22 years old and is in the process of completing her masters in Buisness administration.Since a very young age Priyanka ha...