To Love *The Maze Runner/Newt...

By Bri1432

"In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how well you lived, and how gracefully you let go... More

To Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 (Newt's Pov)
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
*NOT AN UPDATE*
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
QUESTION TIME
Chapter 11
Please Read
Chapter 12 (Newt's Pov)
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
To Love: Playlist 1
Chapter 15: Prologue Part 2
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22 (Newt's Pov)
To Love: Playlist 2
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
~Important Info~
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
To Love: Playlist 3
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
To Love: Playlist 4
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
To Love: Playlist 5
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Sneak Peek
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
To Love Yourself.

Chapter 63

4.9K 140 184
By Bri1432

~~~Author's Notes~~~

*I will always accept names for my positivity jar, so comment here if you wanna be added. It does not matter when you read this, I plan on keeping it going for a while. I'm starting the name drawing in the next update! I'll pick two for the first one.*

But Hiiii!!! I cover a lot in this chapter and honestly the beginning part makes me want to cry. I think because, you'll see, that the tables kinda turn. And Brianne and Newt see things differently. Idk why I find it sad.

But Question of the Update: Out of all of your favorite characters, from tv shows and movies and books, who is your absolute favorite?

I have so many favorites, but I've spent two years writing a fanfic about Newt, so he's probably my all time favorite. My close second is Peeta (From The Hunger Games.)

ANYWAY, I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS UPDATE, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

~~~~~

~~~Brianne's Pov~~~

"What the actual heck just happened?" Newt sighed, as we walked into the bathroom.

"I-I don't know," I mumbled, leaning against the door as I shut it.

Newt moved in front of the sink and turned the faucet on. He cupped his hands and let the water fill them. He splashed the most likely cold liquid onto his face, washing away the dirt and blood and sweat. His face was dripping as he twisted the knob to the right, shutting the water off.

He placed his hands on the sides of the sink, resting on it. He looked up at his own reflection, but then shifted his focus to me in the background.

"I became the leader and this place fell apart," Newt barely voiced, but I heard his words loud and clear.

I closed my eyes for a moment, "This would have happened anyway. It had nothing to do with anything that you've done."

Newt brought his left hand up to his face and pinched the bridge of his nose with his pointer finger and his thumb, "I mean, this whole thing seems pretty awful. But I think we can do it- escape, I mean. All this work can't be for nothing."

I nodded, but tears still welled in my eyes, "It's not pointless," I barely got out this last part, "It can't be."

Newt bit his lip. A drop of water rolled down his cheek and fell onto his shirt, dampening a small portion of the fabric, "I'm not giving up, Brianne. Not yet and not this time."

I felt like I needed to tell Newt everything I knew about this place. Everything I knew about me. Everything I knew about him. About us.

But I couldn't tell him. Deep down I didn't want to.

"We're gonna be okay," I cried, wiping a tear off of my face. More replaced it instantly. I didn't really believe everything was going to be okay.

I watched as another droplet of water beaded on Newt's forehead. It moved quickly, leaving a trail of water behind as it rolled down his nose.

"I know why he did it; Thomas," Newt mumbled, shifting his gaze in the mirror down to his hands.

"He wanted memories," I confirmed.

"If he gets those memories, because we all know that he means something to the people that put us here, then maybe he'll remember what we need to do to get out."

"Maybe."

"So you have the most important job," His voice was soft now. He was clearly trying to cheer me up, "Because if he dies, we won't have his memories. And without the memories, we might not have an escape," Newt whispered, "We need an escape."

I leaned further against the door, letting the solid object steady my swaying body and my shaking legs.

"Do we?" I finally said, closing my eyes.

I felt sad. So incredibly sad and scared. I felt like a completely different person, when I thought back to the girl I came into the Glade as. And I was supposed to help Newt? I couldn't even help myself. I wasn't what Newt needed. I wasn't what the Creators wanted me to be. I was only Brianne, an anxiously scared teenage girl. I couldn't save people. I knew that. The creators knew that. Newt knew that.

"We've always needed an escape," Newt mumbled, and I heard him turn and take a few steps closer to me, "I'm gonna get us out of here. You deserve a better future."

I opened my eyes, "I don't," I sobbed, "I thought that I needed to leave, but I want you to know that if you can't make that happen, its okay. I'm okay."

I needed Newt to not feel guilty. None of this was his fault.

"No," Newt whispered, and I watched through blurred eyes, as the droplets of water dripped down his neck onto his shirt. One drop in particular had left behind a line of muddy water. Why hadn't he wiped his face dry?

"I love you, Newt. No matter what happens. If we both make it out of here or not," I shakily said, staring into Newt's eyes.

"We're both gonna be fine, I promise, Brianne," Newt pressed his hand against my cheek, catching a few tears.

"But, if you can't, Newt," I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Thats okay. If you can't make the impossible happen, I'm still so proud of the person you've become. I hope you know that. I do still love you. Nobody will blame you if you give up on this."

"I'm not giving up just yet. There's gotta be something we're missing. Thomas will know when he wakes up, I'm sure of it," Newt was full of hope and even though I could barely see any detail through my teary gaze, I could see the light in Newt's eyes.

I wanted to agree. I wanted to make him feel secure in his words. But I couldn't.

"I hope so," I said, as I watched another drop form and roll down Newt's cheek, but this one wasn't the clean faucet water he had rinsed his face off with. This one was different; this one was a tear.

~~~~~

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

The days came and went. Three, if anyone actually cared enough to count. Thomas, who'd been stung multiple times by the grievers, was still going through the Changing. The grievers were still coming every night taking one of us Gladers with them. Each day got a bit harder, as we watched one of our closest friends get taken. Zart was taken last night and that one had to be the worst so far.

"We need to try something different," I said, leaning over the table to point to one of the map piles, "Maybe these words are like a set of steps. Maybe this is the death part?"

"They've been coming for almost a week now. When does the death stop?" Ably remarked, disagreeing with my idea. I mean, I didn't really think that that was the answer either, but at least I'm trying.

"Steps," Brianne shouted, after a few awkward moments of silence, "That's it. Maybe we need to act out the codes. This is like a- a script."

"No way it'll be that easy," Alby shook his head.

"It's never been easy, and neither is this," I said, rolling my eyes.

An out of breath Chuck came running down the steps of the basement, "Newt!"

"Yeah, what is it?" I asked, stretching. I quickly glanced at Brianne. I wanted to see her face before everything changed, if it did. Chuck seemed to always carry bad news.

"It's Thomas," Chuck excitedly shouted, "He's awake! And he looks fine now! He wants to call a gathering."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. Honestly I'd got to thinking that maybe Thomas was out for good.

"Go," Brianne said, almost laughing.

I ran up the steps and followed Chuck to the room Thomas was in.

My hand reached out for the knob and I twisted it, pushing the door open. I motioned for Chuck to leave us alone. As I walked into the room, I heard the door shut behind me.

I sat down next to Thomas on the bed, "Well, Tommy, you barely look sick."

Thomas nodded as he sat up, "I feel a little queasy, but honestly, other than that, I feel fine. I thought I'd feel a lot worse."

I shook my head, "Three days you've been out. And that whole time, I couldn't decide whether what you did was brave or just bloody stupid. Seems like that's your forte, making me rethink what's right and wrong," I paused, "I know why you did it. To get memories. So did it work? What came back? Anything that'll help us, because things have gotten pretty bleak without your help."

"We need to have a Gathering," Thomas said, moving around, "Before I forget everything."

"Yeah, Chuck told me and we'll do it. But why? What did you figure out?" I was scared at what his answer might be.

Thomas took a deep breath before saying, "It's all a test, Newt- the whole entire thing is a test."

"Like an exam?" I asked, suddenly feeling like I'd had this conversation before.

"No, not at all."

"An experiment?"

Thomas shook his head, "No, you don't get it. They're weeding us out, seeing if we'll give up, finding the best of us. Throwing variables at us, trying to make us quit. The creators, they're testing our ability to hope and fight. Sending Teresa here and shutting everything down was just the last part. Just one more final analysis. Now it's time for the last test. To escape."

I gave Thomas a confused look, "What do you mean? You know the way out?"

This was all too much to take in. We were just part of a big test?

"Yeah, please, Newt, call a gathering. Now."

"Okay," I said, nodding my head, "Meet me in the Council hall in exactly an hour. You've gotta tell us all everything you know."

~~~~~

~~~Briannes's Pov~~~

Just like Thomas had requested, Newt had called a Gathering. The Keepers, Newt, Thomas, and Alby all sat in the usual Council Meeting circle. Nobody could ignore the sinking feeling that came with one of the chairs being empty: Zart's.

Then there was the other empty chair, Gally's. Nobody felt bad about that one though.

"Thank you, Keepers, for meeting with us today. You all know of the events that took place a few nights ago-" Newt had started, greeting everyone.

"All right, Greenie," Alby cut off, addressing Thomas, "Forget all of this beat-around-the-bush klunk. Start talking."

I felt kinda bad for Thomas.

"It's a long story," Thomas took a deep breath, clearly nervous, "We don't have time to go through it all, but I'll tell you as much as I can. When I went through the changing, I saw flashes of images like a slide show in fast forward. A lot came back to me, but only some of its clear enough to talk about. The creators are testing us. The maze was never meant to be solved. Its all been a trial. They want winners- or survivors- to do something important."

"What? What does that mean?" Newt asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Look," Thomas rubbed his eyes, "We were all taken at a very young age. I don't know why or how or when, but we were taken because something really awful happened to the world. We are all extremely intelligent and that's why they chose us, I think. It all seems so sketchy, but that's just what I remember. I don't know what happened to my family. But after we were taken, we spent the next few years living in these special dorms. And practicing problem solving and training physically for this place. We did that until the creators had enough money to build the maze- And all of our names aren't our actual names! they're made up, stupid nicknames. Alby for Albert Einstein. Newt for Isaac Newton. Thomas for Thomas Edison."

Oh my god. What?

I looked up from my hands and stared at Newt. His eyes were hooded as he kept his vision on the ground. This was all shocking news.

I wasn't actually named Brianne?

"Our names aren't our actual names?" Alby finally asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"As far as I know, we'll probably never be told our real names."

"So we were raised by freaking scientists?" Frypan scoffed, absolutely dumbfounded.

Those people in the lab coats in my dreams and memories, they were the creators? And those same people took care of us?

"Yeah, apparently we're freaky genius kids and they're analyzing every move we make. Studying us. Seeing who'll give up and who won't. Seeing who'll survive it all. Thats why they have those bugs running around. They're watching everything we do. And they're keeping a record of it."

I stared more intently at Newt, hoping he would feel my gaze.

Come on, Newt, look at me. I need to know how you're feeling.

I kinda already understood that the creators had been watching us, but to go to that extent of tracking and recording everything we do, made my heart race. Whenever I'd been 'alone,' I hadn't actually been alone.

I hated the creators before. But I hated them even more now. How can you raise a bunch of children and then watch them die and not feel any regret?

How could you watch a young boy try to commit suicide and not stop him?

I tapped my foot against my chair, trying to draw attention to myself.

Newt slowly lifted his head to look at me. I watched as his dark eyes swelled with tears. He let his gaze fall to the floor again.

My hear broke at this.

The things these people could have prevented. The lives they could have saved! All for what? Something we don't even know about!

"Keep talking," Alby nodded, "I just don't get why you know so much about this. I went through the changing too and only remembered," He trailed off, looking around the room, as if he'd said too much.

"I'll tell you in a minute, why I think I know more, but somehow the creators took away our memories. They sent us here to see how we'd react to everything they threw at us. They made a maze, the most common puzzle known to man. They made that so that we'd think that there was a solution. But there is no solution," Thomas stressed that last part.

"That makes no sense," One of the Keepers shouted.

"Why would they do that?" Someone else asked.

"I don't know," Thomas answered honestly, "But they did this to make us hopeless. And it makes me sick! This is all a test. The community you've all built was just another manipulation. They're using all of us. They want us to turn on each other. Survival of the fittest is their big idea."

"And everyone getting killed? Thats their idea too?" Frypan questioned, not believing him. I didn't know what to think. But something told me that Thomas wasn't lying.

Then again, that could just be the creators making me think that. Holy crap.

"They only want the best of us to escape," Thomas sighed, shaking his head.

"You better start talking about this magical escape then," Frypan shouted, kicking his chair.

"He will," Newt shushed, "Shut up and listen."

Minho who hadn't said two words the whole time, spoke up, "Something tells me that I'm not gonna like what I'm about to hear."

"Probably not," Thomas agreed, clearing his throat, "The creators want the best of us for whatever they have planned. But we have to earn it. The code."

"The code?" Half of us repeated in confusion.

"What about it?" Newt asked.

Thomas looked around at each of us, his eyes darting from person to person, "It was hidden in the wall movements for a reason. I should know- I was there when the creators did it."

"What?" I couldn't help but gasp.

What even? Thomas helped the creators?

'Thomas knows the way out,' Played in my head.

I heard that last month, by the maze!

"What are you even talking about?" Newt questioned. The rest of the room fell silent.

"Well, first there's something I need to share. About me and Teresa. Theres a reason why everyone recognizes me when they go through the changing."

"What are you saying?" Minho asked, completely baffled.

"Teresa and I used to be creators. You'd probably want to kill us if you remembered what we did. But we can be trusted now, that's why I'm telling you this. We can get you out of here," Thomas paused, "We helped design the maze. We helped create the whole thing."

"What's that supposed to mean? You're a bloody sixteen year old boy. How could you have created something like this?" Newt asked, breaking the stunned silence.

"We were smart. And there's something else too, that I haven't told you guys. Teresa and I are telepathic. We can talk to each other in our heads," What? "But listen to me! They forced us to help! I would never do something like this on my own. I need you guys to trust me. That's the only way we'll get out of here. We have the code from the maps. All we need to do now is use it."

This was all a lot to hear. We weren't living in some prison, although close enough; we were in an experiment? A test? We're like lab rats.

"Teresa and I are just like everyone else, here. We were sent up and now we need to get out. This is the final test that the creators have set up. This is the truth and I'm sorry if some of you can't handle it."

The Keepers remained silent. But Newt spoke out.

"The creators did this to us," Newt shook his head, "Not Tommy and Teresa."

"Whatever," Minho sighed, "Just tell us how to escape."

Thomas nodded, a little more confidence filled his voice, "Theres a computer in a place that none of us have looked before. The code will open a door for us to get out of the maze. It'll also shut down the grievers."

"A place we've never looked before? Seriously? What do you think we've been doing for two years?" Alby asked.

"Trust me, you've never been here. It's almost suicide. The grievers will come after us and try to stop us. It's the final test."

"Well, where is it?" About three of us asked in unison.

"Over the cliff. It's through the griever hole," Thomas answered.

Alby stood up, "Why should we trust you! You worked for the people who put us here! You are the person who put us here! What are you really up to?"

"Me? I'm up to nothing," Thomas defended, "If it wasn't for me, you'd be dead! I saved your life."

"That could've just been part of their plan. They could have told you to do that. To gain our trust," Alby argued, bringing up valid points. But Thomas wasn't lying. I trust him, "We can't go back! I've seen what our lives were like!"

"Is that what this is about?" Newt asked, "You're kidding, right?"

Alby shook his head, sinking back into his chair. He started sobbing. Well, this was unexpected.

"Alby," Newt said, softly, "What's going on?"

"I did it!"

"Did what?"

"I burned the Map room. And I slammed my own head against the table to make it look like it wasn't me. But it was!" Alby cried, shaking.

Newt looked up at me. I didn't say anything. We kinda all still thought it had been him anyway.

Minho replied, "No klunk, it was you. Thanks to the tip you gave us last week about the maps burning."

"We can't go back, guys. Its awful out there. There's disease. The Flare. It's horrible," Alby warned, "Its better for us to die here, than go home."

The Flare? What's that?

"Look," Minho started, "I'm with Thomas, one hundred percent. If we're gonna die, we're gonna go out fighting."

"Doesn't matter what we do. We're gonna die anyway," Alby said, as he stood from his seat and left the room. Okay? Cool.

"He's not the same as he was before," Newt said, speaking of Alby, "But what in the world is the flare?"

"I don't care," Minho huffed, "Anything will be better than dying here. We can deal with the flare and the creators once we're out. For now, we gotta go through the griever hole and escape."

Some people began to speak their words of protest. Like 'Death trap' or 'Stupid idea' or 'Might as well slit our wrists.' But I, just like Minho and Thomas and I'm assuming Newt, too, wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, even if it meant the possibility of death.

"I'm going through the hole. Come with me if you want. Minho's in. Teresa's in. If we can fight off the grievers long enough to punch in the code, then we'll have passed the tests. We'll be face to face with the creators themselves," Thomas said.

"And you think we can do that- fight off the grievers? They'll all be waiting there. We'll get stung," Newt brought up.

"I don't think they'll sting us. We can't all die. We have that going for us. The creators want some of us alive. What good would it be if they killed all of their prized possessions off on the final test? I think, somebody has to sacrifice himself to save the others. They only take one a night."

"And what poor sap are we gonna sacrifice? Thats awful!" Winston shouted, hysterically.

"It's obvious who that person should be."

"Who?" I asked, leaning forward.

Thomas folded his arms over his chest, "Me."

Newt calmly stood and walked over to where Thomas was sitting. He grabbed him by the arm and tugged him out of his seat, "You're leaving, now."

The rest of the Keepers broke into a chorus of shouts and arguments.

"Leaving? Why?" Thomas asked, as Newt walked him towards the door.

"Think you've said enough for one meeting," And the rest of Newt's sentence was drowned out by the other voices in the room.

Not even a minute later, Newt returned. He walked into the middle of the circle of chairs. He didn't say anything at first, he just raised his hands, waiting for silence. Everyone quieted down without a word coming out of Newt's mouth.

"Thomas isn't lying. I can tell you that. We have nothing here. If you want to stay another night, and pack into one of the homestead rooms, waiting for your death, then by all means, go ahead. But I'm leaving. And if you think with your head and not your arse, you'll come with us."

"I'm clearly with you," Minho commented, raising his hand.

"I am, too," I said, lifting my hand also.

Pretty soon, without much argument, all of the Keepers came to an agreement.

We were leaving the Glade tonight.

And I was both excited and terrified.

~~~~~

~~~Author's Notes~~~

Ah, I'm so excited for the next chapters, big stuff is happening! I'm honestly ready for To Live. I'm ready for all of the awkward tension between Janson and Newt and Brianne and everyone. Ah, I'm so hyped! It's not even a lowkey excitement anymore. I'm highkey ready for this. *Regrets the break I decided to take.*

BUT I'm even more excited for "ETIDS." I'm not referring to Everything I Didn't Say as "EIDS" because it looks like a disease, and I'm not about that.

FEBRUARY 14!!!!! Be ready!! I'm gonna post the Preface and the first chapter on that day!

But anyway, I love talking to people in the comments, so don't be scared to ask or say something, haha. I LOVE YOU ALL! BYEEE!!

Btw: we are so close to 300,000 and I'm so ASDFGHJKL. It's crazy. Like if you go back to chapter two/three, I freaked out over 10 reads. Now this?! I'm forever grateful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 4K 33
A feeling of comfort washed over me as his arms repeated my action, pulling me closer to his chest. "Of course, I got completely tangled up in all th...
206K 5.7K 58
Take away everything you've ever known, every face, every place, and every memory. Replace it with empty darkness. Then, add on the pressure of wakin...
1.1M 21.5K 108
glad you could join me on my maze runner journey :) gally minho thomas n newt i currently do not accept requests copyright 2015 icheesepuff
10.8K 258 18
❝the assholes who put us here didn't break me, they just showed me the weak point.❞ THE MAZE RUNNER book one of three in the ❛THOSE WHO FALL❜ trilogy...