Cursed Times - Only Yesterday...

By lhansenauthor

By accident rather than design, Trueth - one of the last European witches - finds herself in an ancient Egypt... More

Prologue - No Day Without Demons
Chapter 1 - Trueth: Lifelines
Chapter 2 - Metjen: Secrets of the Temple
Chapter 3 - Seisi: Swimming Lessons
Chapter 4 - Trueth: Scorpions
Chapter 5 - Trueth: Dinnertime
Chapter 6 - Seisi: Home on the Farm
Chapter 7 - Metjen: Dripping
Chapter 8 - Trueth: What Friends Are For
Chapter 9 - Trueth: Scheming
Chapter 10 - Seisi: Courting
Chapter 11 - Metjen: Outclassed By Far
What a Wonderful World! End of Act 1
Chapter 12: Trueth - Council of War Part 1
Chapter 13: Trueth - Council of War Part 2
Chapter 14: Trueth - A Wake
Chapter 15: Trueth - Comeback Part 1
Chapter 16: Trueth - Comeback Part 2
Chapter 17: Metjen - Cracking Up
Chapter 18: Seisi - In Vino Gravitas Part 1
Chapter 19: Seisi - In Vino Gravitas Part 2
Chapter 20: Trueth- At The Crossroads Part 1
Chapter 21: Trueth - At the Crossroads Part 2
Chapter 22: Metjen - Déjà Vu
Chapter 23: Trueth - Through the Sands Part 1
Chapter 24: Trueth - Through the Sands Part 2
Chapter 25: Trueth From the Dark Side with Love
Chapter 26: Seisi - Too Many Camels
Chapter 27 - Seisi: Tomb Raiders
Chapter 28: Metjen - Night at the Museum Part 1
Chapter 29: Metjen - Night at the Museum Part 2
Chapter 30: Trueth - Bird's View
Chapter 31: Trueth - Welcome Home!
Chapter 32: Trueth - Avebury Reloaded
Chapter 33: Trueth - Witching Hour Part 1
Chapter 34: Trueth - Witching Hour - Part 2
Chapter 35: Seisi - Pyjama Party
Chapter 36: Trueth - Closed Shop
Chapter 37: Trueth - Woodbound
Chapter 38: Trueth - Autumnworld 1
Chapter 39: Trueth - Autumnworld 2
Chapter 40: Trueth - Autumnworld 3
Chapter 41: Trueth - Emergency Exit
Chapter 42: Trueth - Onwards and Upwards
Chapter 43: Trueth - A Leap of Faith Part 1
Chapter 44: Trueth - A Leap of Faith Part 2
Chapter 45: End of Act 2
Chapter 46: Seisi - Through the Wringer
Chapter 48: Metjen - A Beautiful Mind
Chapter 49: Trueth- Hang on Stupid!
Chapter 50: Trueth- Mamma Mia Part 1
Chapter 51: Trueth -Mamma Mia Part 2
Chapter 52 : Seisi - Spice up your Life
Chapter 53: Trueth - Here we go Again!
Chapter 54: Trueth - Dungeons and Demons Part 1
Chapter 55: Trueth - Dungeons and Demons Part 2
Chapter 56: Metjen - Haunted Halls Part 1
Chapter 57: Metjen - Haunted Halls Part 2
Chapter 58: Trueth - How many Steps from Hell?
Chapter 59: Trueth - Guardienne of the Gateway
Chapter 60: Seisi - The End of All Times Part 1
Chapter 61: Seisi - The End of All Times Part 2
Chapter 62: Trueth - Blessed Part 1
Chapter 63: Trueth - Blessed Part 2
Chapter 65: Trueth - Brave Old World Part 2
THANK YOU!
Bonus Chapter - 'Runt of the Litter'
Cursary - Characters, Mythology and Historical Facts
Author's Note - skip if you must

Chapter 47: Seisi - Mirrors

837 145 85
By lhansenauthor

Buried deep down in the fertile soil of the Delta, one long and winding passageway connected all the mansions of the gods. When the high priests and the old Pharaoh had arranged for the building of the portal, they had connected the new structures to this existing corridor. The Warriors of the Light, had they made it safely from one world to another, would have arrived in the underground walkway and immediately enjoyed the protection of the temples. With so many priests among their forces, they could also have quickly called down the divine energy again, pulling their civilisation across the void between the world.

None of this had happened. Instead, the dark priests had blocked the access from the other side. When Trueth, Metjen and the other adventurers from the demon world crashed through 5000 years later, the corridor was patiently waiting for them. Oddly enough for such a substantial edifice, it was not connected to the sacred chambers where the high priests sought communion with the gods. Instead, it led directly to the cellars and dungeons below the holiest of the holies.

This set-up was fortunate, Seisi thought as he hurried down one last set of steps. Given the impressive array of spells protecting the level above, he would never have been able to gain access otherwise.

He pressed his hand on the row of hieroglyphs that had been strategically placed at eye level on an otherwise blank mud wall.

'Access prohibited in the name of the high priest of Ra. May your ba be howling in darkness for all eternity if you disobey.'

Seisi wondered if refraining from issuing any threats and just stacking some junk against the rough surface would not have been far more efficient if one wanted to hide something. But then, his superiors could never resist showing off their impressive skills to the lower grades. His stomach dropped and he withdrew his hand as if bitten by a snake.

What if Metjen had not remembered to re-cast the spell so that he could safely enter? After all, he still was not so well-versed in the ways of the temple.

Seisi mind-stared at his fingers then observed the wall with perspiration gathering on his brow. The wall stayed a wall for just a moment longer as if to mock him, then vanished in a sandy haze, giving him a view of what lay behind. The spell had started blinking but otherwise stayed where it was. Seisi exhaled and swiftly moved across the uneven flagstones into the smoothness of the glittery grey of his new environment. Behind him, the gap he had passed through slowly solidified once more.

Seisi turned and rushed along the corridor towards the Kemet side of the portal, his sandals making soft slapping noises on the smooth surface. Welcome coolness embraced him and helped him recollect a hectic, hot day that was very obviously far from over.

He had managed to pacify his mother by sharing an abridged and censored version of his adventures as well as freshly baked bread and a delicious cup of hot milk spiced with cardamom and honey. How he had longed for this treat during exile.

Many other parents might have been delighted at his prospects brought about by his closeness to Ra's latest first prophet. In fact, he knew his father and siblings would be. Not so his mother. She had just drummed her fingers on the table and scowled at him.

'Between Imhotep and this new first prophet, you'll run your feet raw! Stay away from those nobles, I tell you.'

She loved him, really, and had shown it by giving Dog temporary shelter without too many recriminations.

Seisi rounded the last bend and there in the distance was the cracked mirror they had all come through. In the demon world, he had once seen a car accident, the windscreen of one of the vehicles had closely resembled the surface he observed in front of him, cracked and splintered into a multitude of glittering facets. The only difference was the glass of the portal still glowing deep sea blue around the edges. Right in the middle, the walking stick had been pressed into the wreckage. It emitted a soft glow and was most likely responsible for the faint hum Seisi kept hearing.

He got closer and examined the odd device the priests had used to fortify the barrier between the worlds. It was just an ordinary wooden walking stick, devoid of any decorations, apart from some hieroglyphs close to the bottom, spelling out Imhotep's name.

Seisi narrowed his eyes and knelt down. A tiny black blemish had caught his attention. A taint so small it was almost insubstantial, yet it emanated so much menace that Seisi recoiled involuntarily.

'So you have seen it then,' Seisi heard Imhotep's calm voice the same moment the high priest of Thoth and Suka Overlord materialised behind his back.

Seisi inhaled once more, straightened and bowed. 'I am not sure what it is I perceive, but I fear the worst.'

Imhotep nodded, walked up to the portal and ran his fingers across the broken surface. 'One demon has come through. One only. It is enough, given that it should not have been possible.'

'Who...,' Seisi did not dare to ask what was on his mind.

'Ptahmes summoned the renegade priest who once was Metjen's tutor. We do not mention his name.'

'But...this is even more outrageous! The last time I heard about him, Ptahmes was held in the cells of the House of Maat. It is impossible to reach out from there.'

Imhotep turned around and faced Seisi. He had aged even more and for the first time Seisi since knew him, his posture had slackened, shoulders slumped as if in defeat. 'There are so many things, my young friend, I once thought were impossible,' he said. ' Yet they are happening.'

Imhotep turned back towards the portal standing utterly still before speaking again. 'Ptahmes has escaped.'

'But this is... .' Seisi caught his tongue.

'Impossible, yes. And there is something else. ' Imhotep had turned back towards Seisi, his hands behind his back. 'Needless to say, that you shall refrain from sharing this information. The high priestess of the Maat has disappeared with the prisoner. We believe her to be the traitor.'

Seisi felt abject despair numbing his senses. If the servant of the eternal balance of justice was implicated, what hope did they have? Why should they continue the fight?

For a moment, Seisi could not speak.

Imhotep nodded. 'I did not want Metjen here because there are a few among us who do not believe the servant of the Maat could have gone rogue. They believe it was all a ruse to get Metjen into position. They believe the dead high priest of Ra to be the first traitor, followed by Metjen, both acting hand in hand with Ptahmes. Aided and abetted by Iseret who we should never have called back.'

'But this is preposterous,' Seisi shouted, his voice echoing in the narrow passageway.

Imhotep shrugged. 'Think about it. We know which demon came through, and to summon one specifically, one has to know a great deal about them. Only Metjen is familiar enough with...this particular specimen. Trueth is as well  – she too should not come back here until I have an explanation for all this.'

Seisi started pacing the floor in agitation. He felt like shouting but did not want to risk another outburst. 'Ptahmes went through Metjen's mind before he was ordained. He would know what my friend knows! ' Seisi could not help it; his voice rang through the corridor again.

Imhotep raised his head, stood frozen for a second, then snapped his fingers. 'You are right. Metjen even told me. How could I forget or not consider the obvious? How could I?'

Once more, Seisi felt like shouting. Because you are only human? Because you are exhausted and, you just will not let others share the burden? Not a sound came from his lips nor did a single syllable leave his mind.

Instead, he said, 'I think we better go and inform Metjen.'

Suddenly, the air in the corridor condensed, got sucked into a spot of light, which expanded into the rainbow colours of the spectrum. A silhouette appeared, a shadow against the light; it kept wavering, finally settling on an angry orange. A smell of cardamom, myrrh and metal flooded the passage.

No need to tell us. Iseret and I were with Seisi and heard everything!

PLEASE NOTE - AS OF HERE THE MAJORITY OF CHAPTERS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED UNTIL THE ISSUE WITH THE DOWNLOADER SITE HAS BEEN RESOLVED: SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE CAUSED. If you have questions, please send me a PM. I will make the third quarter available as soon as the texts are save again. 

If you liked this story, please leave me a vote or a comment. Or both XD. Wattpad writers write for feedback. We thrive on it! Thank you so much. If you REALLY liked it - maybe you can tell your friends about it?

===

This chapter is dedicated to @GaryGarner thank you for binge reading and voting!!! 

The image is from DeviantArt, copyright

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

783 132 53
"What would you rather? Floating in eternal darkness or...serving me? As my champion?" "Honestly? Neither, why in the world would I choose to be a se...
659 75 54
Covid-25. Engineered death. If the mutant virus is released as much as half the world's population may perish. All in the name of greed. __________...
550 56 9
AIMING FOR THE TOP! THE SEARCH FOR A LEGENDARY PHARAOH"S TREASURE! Determined to be the world"s top adventurer, Alex set out to Egypt to find the leg...
111 1 15
*Content Introduction* Living secretly as a maid in the duke's mansion, cursed witch Lina. On a night with a full moon, transformed into a beauty, sh...