Accidentally in Love

By Tranay21

Gabrielle McNair and Nick Gregorio have been best friends from birth and have always had each others backs... More

Prologue
I Wake Up [Not] Alone
Love is a Losing Game
Never Love Again
It Starts with Goodbye
Where Are We Now?
In The Morning
The Question
The Baby Whisperer
Meet the Parents
A Day in the Life
The Game Plan
It Starts with the Letter T
Thanksgiving Aftermath
The New York Bachelor
Welcome Home Gaby!
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
The Devil Cries at Christmastime
Things Left Unsaid
Curiosity Killed the Cat
Seven Days Without You
Happy Birthday Nick!
The Surrogate Baby
Gaby Goes to Tuscany
A Plan Revealed
Happily Ever After Derailed
Jail Time
Confessions of a Certified Brat
Repentance is Good for the Soul
The Surprise
Second Time Around
The Countdown
False Alarm
Special Delivery
Goodbye Derek
Distant Lover
Breathe Again
It Kill's Me
One Night With the Devil
Crossroads
Until It's Gone(Part 1)
Until It's Gone (Part 2)
A Second Chance
Epilogue

I Miss You Now

51.9K 884 74
By Tranay21

"I'll call you when I land, and I'm taking the donuts," were the last words Nick said to Gaby two months ago. Gaby ran her tongue across her bottom lip; she could still feel his lips pressed against hers. Gaby tried picking up the phone to call Nick but she never found the courage, and once Nick never called her she decided that she wouldn't call. Now she regretted that decision because there were a lot of things she needed to talk to him about.

"Ms. McNair?" the receptionist called causing Gaby to come back for the recesses of her mind. Gaby looked up at the receptionist who smiled at her.

"He will see you now."  Gaby followed the receptionist to the office, and she opened the door for her. Gaby thanked the woman and walked inside to find Derek standing behind his desk with a mix of confusion and fear on his face.

"Hello, Derek," Gaby said with a smile on her face.

"Hi Gabrielle, you look good."

"Thanks." She said as she took a seat across from Derek. Gaby often thought about when she finally saw Derek again and how she would automatically beat him to a pulp, but  now it wasn't the case. Somehow it just didn't matter anymore and all Gaby wanted to do was close that chapter of her life for good.

"You know I'm upset that it took me coming to your office for me to get to see you after you ran out on our wedding."

"Gaby I am sorry about that," Derek said sitting down at his desk, he was tempted to take her in his arms and repent for causing her so much pain, but it wouldn't do either of them any good.

"Yeah I'm sure you are, I know I am. I could have saved a whole lot of money. Eight thousand dollars I spent on that dress." Gaby said as she rolled her eyes.

"I know." Derek could barely look at her and Gaby loved every minute making him squirm.

"Look I didn't come here to berate you or anything. I don't want to know why you ran, and honestly, it really doesn't matter anymore." She said as she dug into her bag.  "I just came to give you back this." Gaby held up the 4-carat princess cut diamond engagement ring Derek had given her when he proposed to her on her birthday. Derek came from around his desk and took the ring from Gaby.

"Gaby you don't know how many times I've tried calling you to explain."

"I told you I don't really want-"

"Please, Gaby you have to let me say this."

"Fine," Gaby said folding her arms across her chest as she waited for his explanation.

"I didn't run because I didn't love you, I do love you, I still do, but it just didn't feel right. I tried to shake it off to just cold feet, but it wouldn't go away. I just knew that if we got married we would end up making each other miserable and you deserve better than that."

"How do you know that for sure, you never gave our marriage a try?"

"Well for one there is Nick," he said, and again Gaby rolled her eyes. "I know you kept saying that I didn't have to worry about him but he's in love with you Gaby, everyone can see it except you." Gaby furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to see Derek's point.

"And I know you love him; I should have never let things go as far as I did."

"I like how everyone is telling me how I feel about Nick; he's my best friend that's it."

"Do you remember that night I invited Nick and his girlfriend Stacy to the firm's charity ball last December?"

"Yeah, I remember."

"When you and Nick danced together, I saw this look in your eyes that I had never seen before and you only look at Nick that way. No matter how I tried to spin it, I knew we could never truly be happy. I couldn't be married to someone who wasn't as in love with me as much as I was in love with her."

"I'm sorry you felt that way Derek, I wish you would have just said something to me. At least it could have been a mutual understanding, and you could have spared me some heartache." Gaby said as she rose from her seat.

"We need to have a meeting one of these days so we can go over my contract," Gaby said as she extended her hand to Derek.

"What? You still want me to negotiate for you?"

"Just because our relationship didn't work out doesn't mean our professional relationship has to suffer. You are the only one who knows how to squeeze every last penny out of my book sales; I'm not giving that up."

Plus I like making you squirm. When Gaby left the office, she felt like a weight had been lifted off of her. Gaby thought she would have gotten angry or raised her voice, but when she finally saw Derek, she could tell that he was hurting like she was. Gaby headed straight to the LaGuardia airport to pick up Nick's parents who were flying in from Florida. When Gaby arrived, they had already exited the plane and were at baggage claim.

"Sorry, I'm late," Gaby said as she ran up to Nick's parents.

"Gabrielle, hi sweetie,"

"Hi Aunt P," Gaby said as she embraced Nick's mother.

"How was the flight?" Gaby asked as the women linked arms. Gaby adored Paige, growing up she was like a second mother, and cool aunt wrapped all in one, in Paige's eyes, Gaby could do no wrong. 

"We ran into a little turbulence but nothing serious."

"Where is Uncle B?"

"He went running to the bathroom."

"Oh okay."

"It's a good thing it will give us girls a little bit of time to catch up." Gaby and Paige had their bags placed on a caddy and sat down on a bench while they waited for Mr. Gregorio.

"How have you been Gaby?"

"I've been busy getting my re-write done, but I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Paige asked as her green eyes searched for a sign of what she was truly feeling.

"Yes."

"Nick told me he hasn't talked to you since he left."

"Did he tell you why?"

"No just that you both were being stubborn and wouldn't call each other."

"Well, that sums it all up."

"You two never stay mad at each other for more than a few days. Even after the time, Nick cut off your ponytail. Gaby shook her head and laughed as she remembered the Halloween party she had went to dressing like her favorite Sailor Moon character Sailor Jupiter. Nick and his friend from school decided it would be a great prank to cut off a piece of her ponytail off in front of the boy she had a crush on, mistaking her hair for a wig. Gaby didn't know she could be so angry at one person, but Nick made it pretty hard for her to ignore him after three days.

"I don't know why he thought my hair wasn't real when he saw my hair all the time."

"Boys are so simple sometimes," Paige said shaking her head "You got him back though, you almost broke his nose." Gaby laughed as she remembered how she jumped Nick the next day after school.

"My god I was such a feral child," she giggled

"I'm not mad at him; he might be mad at me... I don't know."

"You two need to kiss and make up already; he sounded miserable the last time I spoke to him."

"We will."

"Paige did you know there is a taco stand right by the bathroom," Brian said as he walked up to them.

"That's the perfect location babe," Paige said

"I'll say," Gaby said with a laugh.

"Well hello, sunshine," Brian said as he hugged Gaby. "You need to take me to that louse of a fiancé you had so I can straighten him out."

"I see you're still trying Uncle B."

"I won't rest until justice has been served," Brian said with clenched fists.

"Between you and my father, I think Derek needs to join witness protection."

"I think so too," Paige said shaking her head.

After spending almost two hours fighting traffic when Gaby finally drove in front of Nick's house her nerves were frazzled and she was starting to get a headache. After letting Bryan and Paige into the house, Gaby made up the guest bedroom for them and was getting ready to go home to change when the front door flew open.

"Gaby?" Nick said as his smile dropped.

"Hi, your home early," Gaby said as she threw her arms around Nick and hugged him. Gaby closed her eyes and relished the feel of his body pressed against hers, his earthy scent tickling her nostrils. When Gaby opened her eyes, she saw a leggy blond climbing up the stairs behind Nick.

"Who's that?" Gaby asked as she let go of Nick and looked up at him.

"Let me come inside, and I'll introduce you."

"Your parents are here."

"They are?"

"Yeah, they are resting. We were going to surprise you."

"Well you're three days too late for that right Nicky?" the blonde said as she wrapped her arms around Nick. Gaby glared at the woman as if she wanted to stab her in the throat for interrupting their conversation.

"Hi, who are you and what do you mean by three days too late?" Gaby said trying to keep calm.

"Oh, where are my manners, Hi I'm Giselle, Nick and I got back on Sunday." Gaby raised her eyebrow as she looked at Nick with fire blazing in her eyes. Nick knew he was in trouble.

"Can we come inside it's cold out here?" Giselle said as she pulled her pea coat closer to her neck.

"Oh yeah sorry," Gaby stepped out of the way and let them in as Brian and Paige walked down the stairs.

"I thought I heard your voice, Nick," Paige said as she smiled at her son. Nick could feel Gaby's icy stare as he was hugged and kissed by his mother.

"Mom, dad this is a friend of mine Giselle Covas." Gaby watched as everyone exchanged formalities and she could tell by the way Giselle was holding on to Nick that she was more than just a friend.

Great, he's sleeping with silicone Barbie. Gaby thought as Nick introduced Giselle to her.

"And this is Gaby," Nick said, and Gaby reluctantly shook the woman's perfectly manicured hand.

Gaby!? Now I'm just Gaby? Any other time I get a whole glowing introduction and now I've been reduced to just Gaby? While Gaby vented mentally, Nick directed his attention to his parents.

"Mom what are you making," Nick said trying to take his mind off of the situation he found himself in.

"Your favorite, stuffed oven roasted chicken."

"It smells delicious."

"Auntie Paige I'm going to go home for a bit, I have some things to take care of, but I'll be back for dinner."

"Okay honey, and try to take a nap you look a little winded."

"I'll try," Gaby said as she put her coat on and left without even giving Nick a second look. Gaby went home answered a few emails, as well as update her blog page. She took a forty minute nap before taking a shower and getting dressed. When Gaby arrived back at the house dinner was finished cooking, and Nick was setting up the table.

"Want some help?" Gaby asked as she walked into the dining room. They worked in silence for a while before Nick finally said: "Okay say it."

"Say what?"

"What's your dying to say, I know you have something to say."

"I have nothing to say, Nick."

"Liar,"

"Oh I'm the liar; I wasn't the one who..." Gaby let out a short sigh as tried to calm herself down. "Never mind,"

"No, say it, Gabrielle."

"Why are you picking a fight? All I came in here to do was help you set up the table. Can we just do that?" Gaby asked as she slammed a fork down onto the table.

"Okay fine," Nick said fighting to keep from smiling.

After Gaby finished setting the table, she went to help Paige place the food on the table, and everyone sat down to eat. Gaby sat across from Nick and Giselle and watched them interact with each other. It was almost like they had forgotten about the others seated at the table. Gaby felt like she was about to be sick as she watched the way Giselle doted over Nick. Gaby was ecstatic when she finally went back to her hotel. Gaby was sitting in the family room watching TV with Paige, Nick, and a sleeping Brian when she felt like she was about to be sick. Gaby excused herself and went into the kitchen to find something to drink. She opened the fridge and found a bottle of Coke she grabbed the bottle, opened it and began to chug it down when Nick walked in.

"Are you okay?" Gaby shook her head yes. "Are you sure, you looked like you were about to hurl."

"Oh, so you can notice something besides your new plaything," Gaby said as she cut her eyes at him and put the half empty bottle down on the counter.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you've just been so engrossed with your little friend that you forgot about your parents and your best friend who you subjected to your little x-rated show."

"Oh give me a break Gaby."

"You haven't said two words to me since we sat down to dinner." Gaby fussed.

"You said you didn't want to talk, so I'm not talking."

"Look I'm fine you can go back to watching TV now, or do you want to go play with silicone Barbie?."

"Her name is Giselle, and I won't have you talk bad about her."

"Where did you find her anyway?"

"We met in Tokyo; she is a part of a design team over there."

"Oh and she just followed you home like a lost little puppy," Gaby said as she crossed her arms.

"No I- why am I explaining anything to you. It's none of your business."

"Since when is it none of my business?" she scoffed

"Weren't you the one who said that you want to cut the cord and that we depended on each other too much."

"So is that what you call not calling me for two months? You were cutting the chord?"

"Gaby I'm just trying to give you what you want. Why are you giving me attitude?"

"If you don't know why then you're a bigger idiot than I thought."

"Gabrielle I'm tired of going back and forth with you. Just say what you have to say."

"Why didn't you call, or text, skype or write me after you kissed me?" she hissed

"I could ask you the same thing!" Nick yelled "I told you it was a mistake. I'm tired of this double standard relationship we have. Why should I be the one to put in all of the work while all you do is just complain."

"I do not complain all the time," Gaby said defensively.

"Gabrielle you're a spoiled rotten little bitch, you always have been, and you always will be. This trip has really shown me how worthless of a friend you are." Gaby opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Nick groaned as he replayed what he just said in his mind. Nick watched as Gaby's eyes darkened with anger.

"Okay Nick," was all Gaby said before she walked out of the kitchen and out of the house.

Gaby tried to keep herself from crying while she drove home, at the last minute Gaby decided instead of going home she ended up at her  Lauryn's bakery. Lauryn was still cleaning up when Gaby arrived. Gaby knocked on the door catching Lauryn's attention who was busy sweeping.

"I just knew I would be seeing you today," Lauryn said as she held the door open for Gaby.

"How was your day?" Gaby asked as she took a seat at a table.

"Slow—do you want to try my new strawberry banana cupcake?"

"Can you put whipped cream on it?"

"Of course," Lauryn fixed Gaby the cupcake and hers before joining Gaby at the table.

"So what's wrong Gaby? You never have a late night cake run." Lauryn said as she picked from Gaby's plate with her fork.

"I just got into a huge fight with Nick."

"I take it you've seen Nick and his live-action Barbie doll?" Lauryn said shaking her head.

"You've seen Nick already?"

"Yeah, he came in Monday with the Barbie to pick up a cake for some party at his job."

"Well isn't that just lovely, the whole world knew my best friend and father of my unborn child was in town before me," Gaby said rolling her eyes before she stuffed a piece of cupcake into her mouth.

"You're pregnant!" Lauryn asked, and Gaby groaned.

"Aww damn it, I wasn't supposed to say that. This cupcake is really good."

"What do you mean? Unborn child? You're pregnant?"

"Yes," Gaby said with a sigh.

"When did you find out and why didn't you tell me the minute you found out?" Lauryn frowned as she waited for Gaby to speak.

"You have to tell him so he can dump the Barbie and take care of you. He's only using that woman as a cover-up to try and act like that kiss meant nothing to him."

"It didn't mean anything because if it did he would have called me or he would have come to see me the minute he landed, and he wouldn't have brought excess baggage with him."

"You need to talk to him."

"Nick made it very clear tonight that we are done talking," Gaby said as she stabbed her cupcake in the middle.

"Life would have been so much easier if Derek would have just married me." She said with a sigh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351 25 16
Asher, Phoebe and Reuben three best friends grow up together facing new challenges with new relationships, complications, miscommunications and unreq...
57 6 11
Emilia Díaz, a 24 year old woman who has been tasked with caring for her younger brother, Moises. Her parents were Mexican immigrants who moved to th...
288K 10.9K 28
He was cold, distant and was riddled with psychopathic tendencies, but had a soft spot for his deliciously thick best friend. She wanted to be more...
6.4K 246 30
[complete] #2 "This isn't amusing. You're smiling, and your face is all bruised and bleeding. Is that not putting you in more pain?" Ren shifted on h...