Sophie's Tears

By Carywest

By a mere telegram Sophie's world has changed forever! Now a war widow, she is raising her son alone. Her fa... More

Sophie's Tears Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Fifteen

1.9K 62 3
By Carywest

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The next few days were busy for Sophie.  Monday the wagon was loaded and stocked with crates for the farmer’s market.  She prepared two days’ worth of meals since she would be gone all day Tuesday. 

The two ailing men were running her ragged.  Zebadiah had moved over to her bedroom during the day and he and David played checkers most of the afternoon.  She thought by them keeping each other company it would make it easier on her, but it wasn’t.  They called her constantly.  Sophie can I have a piece of cake; Sophie can I have a glass of tea; Sophie can you bring up the newspaper?  She felt if she heard her name called one more time she would scream.

The only good news that day was Jackson’s announcement.  He informed Sophie and David that they were staying.  He gave no reason other than it had been decided by Esther that they should stay.  When he gave the good news, Esther was by his side.  She remained silent as her husband spoke, but Sophie caught the gleam in her eye as Esther gave a slight nod in her direction.

Four o’clock in the morning came early as Jackson drove Sophie and Benjamin to Root’s Farmer’s Market.  She and her son would have to sell on their own since David and Zebadiah were incapacitated.  Since David began working at the farmer’s market their clientele had practically doubled, mainly women who loved the dark-haired man’s attention and flattery.  Sophie kept up as best as she could and even Ben held his own with the customers.  He shined like a miniature David as all the women gushed over the young lad; David had taught him well.

Gifts began to pour in as their regulars discovered David was not well.  One woman bought him an apple pie, since it was his favorite, and wished him a speedy recovery.  Another woman bought a cherry pie, since it was his favorite.  By the time the day came to a close Sophie had two apple pies, two cherry, a lemon meringue, and peach pie, all David’s favorite.  Even the butcher, who really did have a heavy thumb, brought David a gift.  “Tell him I had the pastrami delivered all the way from New York City.” 

Sophie had thanked everyone for their kindness and assured them David would return next week.  She didn’t care if he felt better or not, she did not want to face those women alone.  By the end of the day she and Ben were exhausted.  While Jackson drove the truck Sophie saw Ben asleep in the back and she leaned her head back and sighed.  “I am glad the day is over Jackson.  If I heard one more woman say …tell David we missed him today, I brought him his favorite apple pie...I brought him his favorite cherry pie….Will he be back next week?”  Sophie released a screech.

Jackson looked over at Sophie and began to laugh.  “Mister David has a way with people Miss Sophie.”

“People I could handle, but all those women!” Sophie scrunched up her nose and made a face.  “I could throw up.”  Jackson broke out in a full hearty laugh.  Sophie frowned and folded her arms across her chest.  “I’m glad to see you think it’s funny.” She continued to frown.  “It was annoying and grated on my very last nerve.”

“I see that green eyed monster lives at your house too,” Jackson continued to laugh.

“I’m not jealous,” she scowled at Jackson.  “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Whatever you say Miss Sophie, you’re the boss.”

“And quite calling me Miss Sophie,” she snapped again.  “I am Sophie, only Sophie.”

“All right, only Sophie,” he smiled at her.

“And another thing, why won’t you eat with us?  I make all this food and you take it to the porch.” Sophie was on a roll and she couldn’t stop herself.  “It is not neighborly when a friend invites you over to sup and you eat on their porch.  Come tomorrow morning when I call for breakfast no one is going to eat or work ‘til you sit at my table, is that clear?”

She looked over at Jackson and saw the large dark skinned man’s eyes fill with water.  “You is asking us to sit at your table?”  His words were choked.

“Yes Jackson I am begging you, please honor me by allowing me to serve you and your family.” Sophie placed her hand on Jackson’s shoulder.  “On my farm a man is judged by his character, not by the color of his skin or his religion.  I believe you are of great and noble character and I am grateful to you for saving my farm.  I know it will take time to trust me, but I ask you to please give me a chance.”

Jackson could not speak.  He was too moved by this tiny white woman with a heart ten feet tall.  He wiped the tears from his eyes on the back of his large hand. 

“Now I have a favor to ask of you,” said Sophie.  “I need to go to Lancaster the last Thursday of this month right after lunch, but I don’t drive well enough to go on my own.  Will you take me?”

“Sure I will take you Miss Soph...I mean Sophie,”

“Thank you, but I must ask you to keep it private between us.  I don’t want David to know.”

“You isn’t seeing a beau behind his back?”  He looked at her out of the corner of his eye while still keeping his attention on the road.

Sophie laughed.  “Heavens no.  All right I will tell you, but not a word to anyone.” Sophie waited for Jackson to promise.  She took a deep breath.  “I am going to see a minister or what they call a Rabbi at a Jewish church or synagogue as they call it.  David has lost his way in the Jewish faith and I want to help him and I can’t help him if I don’t understand.”

“You want to rebuild a man’s faith?” Jackson shook his head.  “That’s a mighty tall order for a little lady.”

“I want him to find peace Jackson, the way he did for me.”

Jackson was beginning to understand.  These two very different people found a special bond together.  David and Sophie leaned on each other to carry them through to the next day.  It was a rare love, almost spiritual.  “I will keep your secret, and I will take you to this Rabbi as you call him,” said Jackson.  “David is a lucky man to have found such a treasure.”

Sophie smiled and leaned her head back against the seat.

*          *

The truck pulled up alongside the house.  Sophie walked to the back and woke Ben.  She lifted the crate with the pies from the truck and carried them to the house.  David was waiting in the kitchen along with Zebadiah.  “You’re late,” stated David as Sophie placed the crate full of pies on the table.  Ben sat at the table, laid his head down, and yawned.

“It was crazy today,” Sophie went to the sink and poured a glass of water and drank.  “I am so tired all I can think about is taking a bath and going to bed.  Have you eaten?”

“Yes, we ate the casserole you left in the oven,” said Zebadiah.  “How was business?”

“We sold out as usual.  You should be very proud of your grandson because he did an excellent job.”

“They were calling me little David,” said Ben as he picked up his head.  “I did just what you told me.”

“Good for you, Ben,” David laughed.  He looked in the crate and saw all the pies.  “What are all the pies for?”

Sophie ignored him as she walked over to the table.  She pulled out a white package wrapped with tape.  “This is from the butcher.  It is pastrami all the way from New York City.”

David eyes lit up. They were no longer swollen, but still black and blue.  He opened the package and looked at the pastrami.  “Look at that,” he beamed as held the pastrami up in the air and slid a piece in his mouth.  “Oh my God, does that taste good.  It melts in your mouth like butter,” he said in a very New York accent.  “Here try a piece.”  David handed Sophie, then Zebadiah, and Ben a slice.  “Well?  Isn’t it like nothing you have ever tasted before?” he laughed.  “Now if we only had rye bread and brown mustard.  That would be a superb sandwich.”

“It’s good,” said Sophie.  Zebadiah and Ben agreed.

“Good!” cried David.  “It’s fabulous!”  David took another slice, then wrapped up the rest.  He placed it in the ice box.

“Don’t you want to know what else is in the crate David?” asked Sophie with sarcasm in her voice.

“I saw the pies.” He looked again and saw six pies.  “Why did you buy so many?”

“Oh, I didn’t buy the pies,” she said once more with sarcasm.  “They are gifts from all the women who wish you well.”

“Really?” laughed David as he looked in the crate and pulled out the pies.

“Two of the women think apple is your favorite.  The other two thought your favorite is cherry.  Then there was the lemon meringue lady, and the peach pie lady who swore they were your absolute favorite by far.”

“You have a fan club David,” chuckled Zebadiah.  “I want a piece of the lemon meringue.”

“Ooh that does sound good,” said David as he pulled the pie from the crate.  “Sophie can you bring a couple of plates and forks, oh and a knife?”

Sophie was fuming by his audacity.  Not only was he going to eat the pie, but he wanted her to serve it.  She walked over to the cupboard and pulled out the plates.  She retrieved the forks and the cutting knife and walked to the table.  She was incensed but no one seemed to notice.  She placed the plates and the utensils in front of the men and retrieved the pie as she placed it in the middle right between David and her grandfather.  She cut a piece for her grandfather and handed it to him.

“Thank you Sophie darling.” He picked up his fork and took a bite.  “It’s good.”

“Would you like a piece Ben?” Ben nodded and she cut a piece and handed it to her son. 

“What about my piece?” asked David. 

Sophie gave him a dangerous look.  Smiling through gritted teeth, she picked up the pie.  “Well you are the guest of honor.” She placed the remaining pie in front of him and handed him the fork. “I was supposed to relay a message to you from Doris, now let me think what did she say again?”  Sophie thought for a moment rubbing her finger along her chin.  “Oh, now I remember, you just tell that wonderful David of yours that I hope he feels better and next week I will be by even if I have to miss my luncheon to see him.”

“What can I say?  I can’t help it if I am popular with the ladies,” said David as he nudged Zebadiah and they laughed.  Sophie found no humor in his remark.  David picked up his fork and took a bite.  “Wow, that is good.”

“I hope you choke on it,” snorted Sophie.  As an impulse, she placed her hand on the back of his head and pushed David’s face into the pie.  A satisfied smile fell across her face as she placed her hands on her hips.  David came up with meringue all over his face blended with the lemon mixture.  They couldn’t help themselves seeing his face as they started to laugh.  David scraped the mixture from his eyes.  

“Ha ha, very funny,” David stood from the table.  “Can you get me a towel?” 

Sophie was laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes.  The pleasure she received from seeing David’s face was priceless.  She grabbed the dish towel from the counter and handed it to him.  Before she could react, David grabbed her around the waist and pulled her close to him.  He leaned forward and rubbed his cheek against hers.

“Oh David, stop…stop.”  He did it to her other cheek.  Now Sophie was covered with lemon and meringue.  David laughed seeing her face.  Sophie took her finger and slid it down his nose and placed it in her mouth.  “Not bad, it’s pretty good.”

 “You want to try more of the pie?” grinned David as he leaned closer.  “Kiss me Sophie.”

“I am not going to kiss you.” She tilted her head back away from David.

“Come on kiss me,” he urged her.

“Uh-uh.  I don’t trust you. You’re up to no good.” She was laughing so much her face hurt.

“Oh go ahead and kiss him,” laughed Zebadiah.

“Yeah kiss him,” yelled Ben as he wanted to see his mother covered in pie.

“Are you going to kiss me or not?” grinned David.

“All right, I’ll kiss you, but don’t move,” Sophie pointed her finger at David.  She leaned forward and lightly pressed her lips against his.  She could taste the pie on her lips as she withdrew her mouth from his.  “That was lemon,” she giggled as she licked the top of her lip clean. 

David reached behind her head and pulled her to him as he planted a big mushy kiss on her lips.  He moved his mouth and she tasted his lips mixed with the lemon gel.  When David ended the kiss Sophie was wide eyed and could not speak, let alone move.  Her legs began to wobble as she swooned from the kiss.

“I believe the party is over my little Ben,” exclaimed Zebadiah as he watched the interaction between his granddaughter and David.  He stood from the chair.  “Why don’t you help your ol’ Grandpa upstairs, besides it’s time for your bath.”

“But I don’t want a bath.  I want to stay and watch Momma get covered in pie,” the boy objected.  Zebadiah ruffled the boy’s hair and pushed him toward the stairs as Ben continued to complain that he didn’t want to miss out on all the fun.

Sophie was stunned, almost mesmerized.  She barely heard her grandfather and Ben leave the room.  David waited for Sophie to explode.  Instead she didn’t move or back away as a longing formed in her eyes. Sophie lifted the towel in her hand and wiped David’s face clean of the pie.  After she was finished he took the towel from her and gently removed the pie from her face. 

Sophie was still in his arms and she wasn’t asking to leave.  “I want to kiss you again,” said David in a hushed tone.

Sophie’s eyes blinked yes.  David brushed the back of his hand along the side of her cheek.  Sophie closed her eyes and melted to his touch, to his fingers, gliding over her lips.  She was nervous.  He was more.  He pressed his lips against hers.  The sweetness of her mouth was like honey.  It was soft and romantic, like a whisper, which tingled their senses.  It was a kiss long overdue, a kiss forever sealed.  David didn’t want it to end.  Sophie wasn’t sure she could stop.  He wanted to sweep her in his arms and hold her tight, but if he did, he would never let her go.  She wanted more, much more than a kiss could ever fulfill.

Sophie’s eyes shot open and she stepped back from David.  Why was she suddenly uncomfortable around him?  Her palms were sweating and her heart was beating so loudly she was afraid he would hear it.

She moved away, far enough out of his reach.  His touch was unnerving.  Legs trembling, she moved to the sink and splashed cold water on her face ridding the remaining pie and her longing.  She picked up a pot and began scrubbing it.

David sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.  He wanted her so much it hurt as his stomach clenched tight in a knot.  Why had she pulled away from him when he could see her own desire in her eyes?  Once more he sighed as he walked behind her and placed his hands on her shoulder.  “Sophie, the dishes can wait ‘til morning,” he whispered in her ear.  “Come to bed.”

“I’ll be up shortly,” she replied unable to look at him as her desire stirred again by his touch.  David brushed a kiss by her ear and released her.  Sophie heard his steps climbing the stairs.  She finished cleaning the kitchen and any remaining pie on the floor.  She wiped the table clean and hung the dishcloth over the sink faucet to dry.

Sophie went upstairs and walked into the bathroom.  Closing the door she turned the faucet on in the tub.  She undressed and slid into the warm water and washed.  She was too tired to wash her hair.  All she wanted to do was go to bed and forget about the day.  But David weighed heavily on her mind.  At this very minute, he was probably lying in her bed waiting for her.

It had been a mistake allowing him to recover in her room.  What had she been thinking?  Sophie stood from the tub and wrapped herself in a towel.  Drying herself, she reached for the nightgown on the hook of the bathroom door and dressed.  Sophie walked into the hallway and stood by her bedroom door.  She was right; David was waiting for her lying propped against the pillows.  “David, I think you need to go to the guestroom from now on,” she said not moving from the doorway.

“Is that what you really want, Sophie?”    David looked hurt.

“Yes,” she whispered.

David sat up in bed and reached for his pants.  He dressed and walked toward her.  He stood with her in the doorway.  “I will leave if you can look in me in the eye and tell me you have no feelings for me,” he waited for her reply.

“If I said I have no feelings for you it would be a lie.”

David took Sophie’s hand.  “Sophie, please don’t deny me a night to lie by your side,” he pleaded.  “I promise I won’t ask for anything you are not willing to give.”

“That is what frightens me,” she whispered as she looked into his eyes.  “Oh David, I don’t trust myself being so close to you.”

It had never occurred to David she had felt the same as he.  He thought she didn’t want him, but in truth she had.  “I can barely turn on my side much less seduce you,” he laughed.  Sophie couldn’t help laughing a little too.  “Give me one more night to lay next you.  I promise I will go to the guestroom tomorrow if you ask.”

Sophie walked over to the bed and folded the covers back.  “Are you coming to bed or are you just going to stand in the doorway?”  David smiled and returned to his side of the bed.  “Why do I have the feeling I am never going to get you out of my bed?” she asked as she climbed in and turned off the light.

“I’m hoping Sophie, God I’m hoping,” he smiled and slid in next to her.  He took her hand in his and brought it to his lips and kissed the top of her hand.   Sophie closed her eyes as exhaustion overtook her.  Within moments she was asleep. 

David lay awake for an hour content to lie by her side.  What was it about the small blond haired woman that stirred every emotion within him?  She infuriated him.  She drove him crazy.  But she made him laugh.  He felt alive, almost whole when he was with her.  And then there was the other side to Sophie.  She stirred his soul.  She was deep as the ocean floor as her generosity and compassion moved him.  Her strength he admired, and her passion he loved.  His need to be with her was his craving, but the need to touch her was his addiction.  Sophie had definitely gotten under his skin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.9K 995 64
Judith couldn't believe what had happened in just a couple of hours. All her world just shattered. The fire was still going in front of her eyes as s...
141K 4.4K 53
Hey guys! This book has been officially published on Amazon. It's available as an ebook or a paperback. The version available on Amazon has been edi...
40.7K 944 19
It's the future, and it's illegal to believe in God. The world is under the control of one man. Christians are being hunted and killed. It's worse th...
303 2 25
To love, and know not, whether you are loved in return, is a dreadful feeling. To give love, and not receive it, is equally unbearable. Sarah Oketch...