Sophie's Tears

By Carywest

By a mere telegram Sophie's world has changed forever! Now a war widow, she is raising her son alone. Her fa... More

Sophie's Tears Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

2.1K 54 2
By Carywest

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Sophie woke with the dawn.  She turned and opened her eyes, but David was not lying next to her.  She sat up and looked across her room, but still no David.  She checked the guestroom, but it too was empty.  She walked into the bathroom and saw David slipping his arms through his shirt.  He winced in pain as he lifted his arm over his head, getting it caught in the sleeve.

“What are you doing?” she snapped at him.

“I was trying to get dressed, but I’m stuck. Help me.”

Sophie stomped toward him and removed his shirt.  “You’re putting it on the wrong way,” Sophie rolled up the shirt and placed it over his head then slipped one arm in at a time.

“What would I do without you?” he grinned.

“You need to get back in bed.”

“I will, I promise, right after I show Jackson the farm.”

“You will do no such thing.  Now I want you to march yourself back to bed.  Is that clear?”

David smiled and placed his hand on her chin.  “You take good care of me my little Sophie.”  He leaned down and kissed her on the forehead then released her and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Sophie ran after him as he headed down the stairs.

“You can take care of me to your heart’s content—after I show Jackson the farm.” When David entered the kitchen a wave of dizziness hit him.  He reached for the table and steadied himself.

“You are not well David.  Now get back to bed.”

“Just let me sit for a minute.”  He sat at the table and waited for the dizziness to subside.  “Is there coffee yet?”

“No, I haven’t had time to make it because I have been too busy fighting with you.”

“Then stop fighting with me and please make some coffee.”  Sophie went to the sink and filled the coffee pot with water.  She added the coffee and set it on the stove to heat.

The dizziness passed. David stood and walked to the back door as Sophie prepared the coffee.  She turned when she heard the back door close and saw that he was gone.  Turning off the stove she ran after him.  She caught up to him at the bunkhouse.  He was leaning on a post waiting for another dizzy spell to pass.  She went on another one of her tirades yelling at him and calling him stubborn.  When she was through David stepped onto the bunkhouse porch and knocked on the door.  No one answered.  David knocked again and opened the door.  Jackson and his family were not inside.  For a minute David panicked, but he saw that their personal belongings were still there, he sighed with relief.  “They must be in the fields,” he spoke aloud.

“But they haven’t had breakfast yet!”

They walked to the fields and saw Jackson and his family working.  Everyone was doing their fair share, even his young son.  Seeing them, Jackson handed a crate to his brother and walked to greet them.  “Morning folks,” he said with a smile.  “What are you doing out of bed David?”

“I came to show you the farm, but I see I am too late.”

“We start work at first light,” said Jackson.

“If you give me about thirty minutes, you can break for breakfast,” said Sophie.

“I thank you right kindly ma’am, but me and my family have already had breakfast.” 

For the first time Sophie noticed a slight accent.  She was a little disappointed not being able to prepare the morning meal.  “Well, lunch is at noon.  You do eat lunch, don’t you?”

“Yes ma’am we do.”

Sophie smiled.  “You see David, everything is under control.  Now let’s get you back to bed.”

“Jackson after lunch, I would like if you and me could sit a spell and discuss the farm.”

“Why sure Mister David.  Well, I guess it’s time for me to get back to work.”

Jackson returned to the fields and Sophie and David returned to the house.  Sophie turned the stove back on for the coffee.   “Do you need me to help you to bed?” she asked.

“No, if you don’t mind I’m just going to sit here and wait for the coffee, then I will go back to bed.”

“Did you notice Jackson has a funny way of talking?”  Sophie pulled the bacon from the ice box and placed it in a pan on the stove.

“He’s from the south.  Most likely Georgia from his accent.”

“Do all southerners speak that way?” She wasn’t being rude merely curious.  David had figured Sophie out by now to know the difference.

“It’s called a southern drawl darlin’,” he mimicked in an accent.  “You have an accent too when you say ahwt.

“I do not,” she frowned. 

“You do,” he laughed.

Sophie took the eggs from the ice box and scrambled them in a bowl.  “If Jackson and his family are from Georgia, they are a long way from home,” said Sophie thinking aloud.

“They probably came north for a better wage and work conditions,” said David.  “Southern planters pay practically nothing, and if you’re a negro they pay even less.”

“That doesn’t seem fair.”

“It’s not, but you and I are the exception to the rule.  Most folks don’t like to mix with people not their own kind and they don’t like to pay either,” said David.  “If you’re white and Christian, you have it made.”

Sophie grew quiet by David’s statement.  He saw the look in her eye and knew she was upset.  “What’s wrong?”

“You make me feel guilty when you say things like that.”

“I don’t mean to.  I’m sorry.” He walked over to her, took the bowl from her hand, placed it on the counter, wrapped his arms around her, and held her.  “You and I are from two different worlds, and now we have added a third world to our mix.  It is going to become complicated for a while and you have to be open to it.”

“I wish color and religion were more simple,” said Sophie.  “Wouldn’t it be nice if you could follow all the rules and be considered faithful without having to believe?”

“If I didn’t know any better, I would think you were Jewish,” he laughed in spite of her frown.  “Belief isn’t a requirement in my faith, but it helps.”

“I don’t understand.”

“No, I suppose you wouldn’t.”  He leaned over and kissed her forehead.  

 Sophie didn’t want to think that she and David were from two different worlds.  She wished they could be from the same world with the same background.  At the least she wanted to know more about him and what made him separate from her.  Sophie had questions that needed answers, and she was determined to find them.

After breakfast David went up to rest.  Sophie washed the breakfast dishes and prepared for the afternoon and evening meals.  She baked several loaves of bread and several dozen rolls.  She made a ham loaf along with her macaroni and cheese.  For lunch she prepared turkey sandwiches, macaroni salad, and her famous cucumber salad which was David’s favorite.  While preparing the meal Sophie thought about the conversation she had with David.  She had so many questions running through her mind and no definitive answers.  She wanted answers, needed them, about David and his faith.  If David wouldn’t talk to her she would find someone of his faith who would.  All she knew of Jewish people were from the stories she had learned in Sunday school, the stories of an Old Testament people who somehow tied into her Christian upbringing.  If someone from church could teach her about Christianity, then there must be a church who taught about Judaism.  Sophie wondered if there was a Jewish church in Lancaster.  If there was, there must be a minister that she could talk to.  But how would she find such a church?  She wiped her hands on her apron and went to the telephone.  She picked up the receiver and waited for the operator to answer.

“What number please?” asked the operator on the other line.

“Hello Betty, it’s Sophie,” she spoke into the mouthpiece.

“Sophie is everything all right at your place?” asked Betty.  “I was worried about you and Zeb.”

“Everything is fine.  Betty, I have a strange request.  Do you know of any Jewish churches in Lancaster?”

“Does this have anything to do with your new partner, the Jewish man?”

“Boy, news travels fast.”

“Well some of the boys are up in arms over the whole thing.  You better be careful, yah hear Sophie.”

“I understand.  Now back to the Jewish churches.  Are there any in Lancaster?”

“There’s one.  It’s called Temple Beth-El.”

“Can you connect me?” Sophie asked.  “And when you connect the call don’t listen Betty.  It’s private.”

“I wouldn’t dream of listening in.  Hold on, I’ll connect you.”

Sophie waited in silence not sure what she was going to say when somebody picked up.  She grew nervous and had thoughts of hanging up.  But it was too late.  Sophie heard the gentlemen on the line answer and say hello.

“Hello, is this Temple Beth-El?”

“Yes it is,” said the gentlemen on the other end.

“I wish to speak with your minister if he is available, please.”

Sophie heard the man chuckle, but she didn’t know why.  “My dear lady if you are calling to ask for a donation, it must be done in writing,” he was about to hang up.

“No, I am not calling about a donation.  I have questions about your faith.”

“What sort of questions?” he asked.  The woman caller piqued his curiosity.

“I have many.”

“Ask me one.”

“Can you be Jewish and not be religious?  Is your covenant with God based on faith or race?”

“They are very complex questions and there are no simple answers,” he chuckled.  “What is your name?”

“My name is Sophie... Sophie Carter.”

“Well Sophie, I am Rabbi Benjamin Adler.  In Judaism we are called Rabbis, not ministers.”

“Oh I beg your pardon, Rabbi Adler!”  Right off the bat she had insulted him.  “I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“No offense taken,” he laughed again.  “Now tell me, why such deep questions from someone who I assume is not Jewish?”

“I have a friend who has lost his way.  How can I help him if I don’t understand?  Rabbi Adler, would it be possible for me to come and talk with you?”

“Why certainly Sophie, I would be delighted to meet you.  I could do Tuesday morning.”

“I own a farm.  Mornings are difficult, and we have a stand at Root’s market on Tuesdays.  I could do Thursday after lunch at one-thirty.”

“I could do the last Thursday of this month.” His schedule was busy. 

“That would be fine.” Sophie was a bit disappointed.  She wanted to meet with him sooner, but under the circumstances maybe it was better at the end of the month.  She still had her grandfather and David to care for as well as her duties on the farm.

“Our synagogue is in downtown Lancaster on Lime Street.”

“I know where Lime Street is.”

“Good then let me give you the address.” Sophie wrote it down.  “It was a pleasure talking to you, and I look forward to meeting you.”

“Thank you for your kindness,” said Sophie and she hung up the phone.  She returned to the kitchen and continued working.  She had made an appointment to meet with the Rabbi.  Sophie wondered how she would get to the appointment.  Driving the back roads was different than driving in downtown Lancaster.  Sophie barely knew how to drive.  She couldn’t possibly sharpen her skills by then.  Her grandfather was in no condition to drive, and for that matter neither was David.  She wouldn’t have asked David anyway because she didn’t want him to know.  Maybe Jackson would drive her to town.  Sophie decided she would ask him.

She walked upstairs and checked in on David.  She had insisted he take another dose of Esther’s medicine.  David had argued slightly since the medicine made him drowsy, but Sophie won out in the end.  He took the medicine and now was sleeping peacefully in her bed.  She walked in to her grandfather’s room, and he was reading the newspaper.  “Can I get you anything, Grandpa?”

“A little company would be nice.  Come sit with me Sophie.” He patted the bed next to him.  Sophie smiled and joined her grandfather.  “You look tired dear,” he said seeing the dark circles under her eyes.

“I’m fine.” She did not want him to worry.

“David told me Jackson was up with the dawn and working in the fields.”

“Yes, his entire family, including his little boy,” she said uneasily.  It disturbed her seeing the boy hard at work when he should be playing.

“Our David has done a fine job running the farm.  He is finding his way.”

“He has done an excellent job.  He is a good man.  We are lucky to have found him.”

“I think he found us,” he chuckled.  Sophie laughed too.

“It is good to hear you laugh again my little Sophie,” he smiled.  “You too have found your way home to us.”

“I have found my way home, but in a different way.  With Scott our world was simple, almost like a fairytale.  I lived for him and his way of life.”

“And now?” he asked seeing the transformation.

  “I have grown apart from that life.  My world has changed, and I don’t think I can ever get back that innocence since my eyes are now open.”

“You are growing up from the child bride I once knew.”  He smiled and patted her hand.  “You have blossomed into a mature woman before my very eyes.”

“I feel guilty for allowing myself to be so sheltered from the suffering around me.” Tears filled Sophie’s eyes.  “I had never known suffering before Scott’s death.  I was selfish in my grieving, thinking I was the only one who had suffered.”

“The Lord works in mysterious ways.  He is molding and refining you in ways you had not thought possible.”

“I want to do something to help those who suffer from the injustice of small minded people.  But I don’t know what I can do.”

“I believe you are already helping,” said Zebadiah proudly.  “You have helped David more than you realize, and now we have a family who will need our support and love if we are to mend torn bridges.  Be patient with those around you, and do not be too quick to judge.”

Sophie hugged her wise grandfather and stood.  She wiped the tears from her eyes.  “I should get back to the kitchen.  Lunch will be ready shortly.”

Sophie left her grandfather’s room and went to the bathroom to wash her face.  When she was finished she entered the hallway.  David was standing by her bedroom door, leaning against the wall.  He looked at her with a strange smile on his face.  “What are you looking at?  And what are doing out of bed?  You are not going to get better if you don’t rest.”

“I have to go to the bathroom”

“Oh, sorry.” She laughed feeling a little foolish.  “Make sure to check your urine for blood.”

David walked passed her and entered the bathroom.  “Would you like me to wait before I flush so you can check it yourself?”  Sophie shot him a look and David laughed.  He was infuriating.  Sophie mumbled something to herself which David could not make out but he knew the meaning.  Once more he laughed and closed the bathroom door. 

Sophie returned to the kitchen.  It was almost noon and soon her new laborers would arrive for lunch.  Sophie set the table and placed the sandwiches and macaroni salad on its surface.  She retrieved the cucumber salad and set it next to the sandwiches. After serving lunch to Jackson and his family, Sophie would take a tray up for David and her grandfather. 

Noon came and Sophie rang the bell hoping they would understand the calling.  She waited inside and looked out the window.  An excitement stirred inside her when she saw the family emerge from the trees.  Sophie retrieved the iced tea from the ice box and set it on the counter beside the tall glasses.

Sophie waited for the back door to open, but strangely it did not.  Walking to the door she saw the family sitting on the back porch steps.  Another minute passed and they had not moved.  Sophie opened the door and walked on to the porch.  “Lunch is ready.  Please come inside and eat,” she said welcoming them into her home.  The men stood and waited for Jackson to lead them inside.  Esther and the small boy followed behind.  Sophie sat at the table and waited for them to sit.  Instead, they filled their plate with food and one by one went back outside and sat on the porch.  Sophie stood and gathered the glasses and iced tea and brought it outside.  “I thought we could all sit at the kitchen table and eat together,” said Sophie.  

“Thank you ma’am,” said Jackson.  “But the porch is fine.”

“I brought you some tea,” she replied not sure what to make of this.  She poured each man, woman, and child a glass.  Sophie returned to the kitchen and made a plate for herself and sat.  She stared at the plate of food and then at the back door.  For the life of her she couldn’t figure out why they would not come inside and eat. 

Sophie was determined to mend torn bridges, and she would start by taking her plate of food and joining them on the porch.  Sophie stood with plate in hand and walked out the back door.  “I thought I would join you,” she said as she sat next to Esther.  The men gave her a strange look.  Sophie could tell they were uncomfortable by her presence.  “I hope everything is to your liking at the bunkhouse,” said Sophie.  “If you would like to change anything, please feel free to do so.”  Sophie took a bite of her sandwich as she grew a bit nervous.  She was rambling, aware of her incessant speaking, and no one returning the conversation.  She continued anyway.  “Esther, if you would like more privacy at the bunkhouse I could ask David to build a partition,” said Sophie.  “I mean once he is feeling better.”

Esther looked at Sophie then at her husband.  Jackson nodded.  “The bunkhouse is fine the way it is Miss Sophie,” said Esther in her smooth even tone.

“Well, if you change your mind,” said Sophie.  She sat quietly as she finished her sandwich.  She didn’t know what else to say.  The meal was growing more uncomfortable by the minute.  Sophie looked at the back door and wished she could go inside.  She heard her grandfather’s words in the back of her mind again, mending bridges.  Sophie thought this was not the way with Jackson and his people.  Sophie stood from the porch.  “I have chores I need to finish,” she smiled, not sure why she was smiling.  “Thank you for allowing me to share lunch with you kind folks.”

Sophie walked into the house.  She set her plate in the sink and went about making a tray for her grandfather and David.  After Sophie brought her grandfather his meal she saw David. “No need to bring me up a tray.  I’ll come downstairs and eat with the others.”  Sophie walked downstairs and into the kitchen as David followed behind her.  “Where is everyone?” he asked.

“They are eating on the porch.  They wouldn’t eat at the kitchen table.”

“That doesn’t surprise me.”

“Well it surprised me.  I am not sure why they did that, and I know they were not trying to be rude, but I can’t help feeling slighted.”

“Sophie, in the south, whites do not dine with colored.  I am sure they felt more uncomfortable than you when you offered them to sit at a white man’s table.”

“Oh, I didn’t realize that,” she said thinking they must have thought her crazy for joining them on the porch.  “Well, we will just have to work on mending that bridge.”

“Be patient, mending a bridge takes time.”  He smiled at her.

“For now, sit down and eat your lunch.”

“I will, as soon as I talk to Jackson.”  David opened the back door just as Esther was ready to knock.  She was carrying a handful of plates.  David told her to go in, and Esther walked passed him looking at the ground, avoiding eye contact.  Esther saw Sophie by the sink and placed the dishes on the counter next to her.

“Thank you, Esther,” smiled Sophie as she placed them in the sink filled with sudsy water.

“Would you like for me to do them dishes Miss Sophie?”

“How about if we do them together?  I’ll wash, and you can dry,” Sophie handed Esther a dish towel.  Esther took the towel and waited for Sophie to hand her the washed dish.  She noticed the tiny woman’s hands.  If not for the white skin the woman had work hands like hers.

“You don’t have a maid or a housekeeper Miss Sophie?”

“Heavens no,” laughed Sophie.  “Now what would I do with a maid?”

“You could relax and do things most women like you enjoy.”

“And what kind of things do women like me enjoy?”

“I don’t know,” said Esther.  “Hold socials, have tea parties with other white women.”

Sophie handed Esther a dish to dry.  “What would I know about tea parties and socializing?” smiled Sophie.  “I’m a farm girl and know only hard work.  I have lived on this farm since the day I was born, and I plan on dying here.  Not much time for socializing when there are meals to be made, laundry to be done, houses to be cleaned, children to be raised.”  It occurred to Sophie she had not seen Ben since morning, and he had not come in for lunch.  “Speaking of children, have you seen my son Ben today?”

“I saw him earlier with a fishing pole in his hand.”

When Ben went fishing he always lost track of the time.  “He’s at the pond,” Sophie shook her head and breathed a sigh of relief.  “That boy can amuse himself for hours.  Say, do you think your son Bryson would like to go fishing for the afternoon?  After lunch I could take him down to the pond and he could stay with Ben for the afternoon.”

“My boy is needed in the fields,” stated Esther with a stubborn pride.

Sophie shook her head as she understood. Baby steps she reminded herself, a relationship was not built in one day.  She handed Esther a glass to dry.  “It’s kind of nice having another woman to talk to.  It’s mainly men around here, and sometimes I get lonely for female conversation.”

Esther smiled for the first time.  There was something sincere in the way the white woman said it, thought Esther.  She felt the same way herself at times.  “Jackson says you and Mister David is not married,” remarked Esther as she was feeling a little more comfortable, and her curiosity got the better of her.  “Is he your boy’s daddy?”

“No,” exclaimed Sophie.  “David is not Ben’s daddy.  My husband died two years ago in the war.”

“I’m sorry Miss Sophie.”

“My world has changed very much since Scott died,” Sophie reflected.  “It seems like another lifetime ago when Scott and I were together.  I don’t think I would want go back though.”

“Was he mean to yah?”

“Oh no, Scott was my world,” smiled Sophie remembering.  “I loved him as far back as I can remember.  We had been together since I was thirteen, and we got married when I was seventeen.  When Scott died my world stopped.  Then David came along and showed me how to start living again.”

“Is David your man by common law?”

Sophie gave Esther a strange look not understanding the woman’s meaning.  The woman’s words sunk in as it dawned on Sophie what Esther was asking her. “Oh...Oh!” she said finally understanding as her face turned a deep shade of red.  “No, it’s not like that between us.”

“There is no shame in loving a man in the eyes of God Miss Sophie.  I can see it in your eyes that you love him.”

“I love David deeply,” confessed Sophie as she glanced out the back door and saw David on the porch.  “We are like two kindred spirits.  He is my best friend, but no we are not intimate.”

Esther sensed her longing for something more.  She smiled and set the glass on the counter.   “I must go,” she said in her low melodic voice.  “I am needed in the fields.”  Esther handed Sophie the dish towel and headed for the back door.

“Esther, I will see you at supper,” Sophie smiled.  “Would six be all right?”

“That won’t be necessary,” said Esther proudly.  “Jackson says we will be eating dinner at the bunkhouse, so you need not cook for us.”

Sophie’s smile fell from her face.  “But I made a ham loaf,” said Sophie, but it was too late, Esther had not heard her as she closed the back door.

***

David and Jackson sat on the back porch.  His brothers had returned to the field.  David explained the workings of the farm, how they sold the produce and vegetables at the local market on Tuesdays, and gave him a list of the farming equipment that was available to use.  “We did have two tractors, but one caught on fire.  I looked at it, but I couldn’t get it working.  I am not a mechanic and not much of a farmer either.  Building is my specialty.”

“Kind of unusual for a tractor to burn,” said Jackson.  “I know tractors.  If you want I can fix it.”

“I would appreciate that.”    

  Jackson had other questions for David.  He surmised by the white man’s manner that he was probably a drifter after the war ended.  He had seen his kind many a time.  But the loyalty he had to this family was different.  He seemed to love this family, and they him. 

David was definitely not a farmer.  Jackson could tell by the lack of calluses on his hands.  He was in way over his head since the old man broke his foot.  Zebadiah was an old farmer and he had done an excellent job with the farm.  It was a good thing David had found Jackson.  He too was a good farmer and would not take advantage of the family’s misfortune not like some who might run right over them.  But David had already known that.  He was a clever man, thought Jackson.  “How did you come to work on the farm David?” he asked as curiosity got the better of him.

“The barn caught fire.  And I rebuilt it.”

“Lot of accidents happening around here,” Jackson was growing suspicious.  It was not sitting well with him.

“I think the accidents are over since Sophie fired the last overseer.”

“Is he the one who did that to you?” He pointed to David’s face.

“Hank wasn’t pleased to have me around.  “He’s a good ol’ boy and so is the sheriff.  They don’t take kindly to Jews.”

“Or Negroes,” added Jackson thinking now he had made a mistake.  There was big trouble brewing on this farm, even David did not understand the extent of it.  “David, maybe it ain’t a good idea for us to be working here.  No telling what kind of trouble could be stirred up now that you’ve added colored folk to work for you.”

David looked worried.  “I understand.”  David sat quietly for a minute.  “Look I know I shouldn’t be asking this, but if you could just stay on until we find other workers or until the corn is harvested, I would appreciate it.”

“I need to talk to my family.  I will give you an answer tomorrow.”

“I was hoping you could teach me all about farming, or at least show me the basics.  I’ve got to keep this farm going.”

“Why is this farm so important to you?  They ain’t your kin.”

“No, not by blood, but we have made a connection.”

“Is she your woman by common law?”

“Are you kidding me,” laughed David.  “I kissed her once and she got madder than a hornet.  That woman may be small, but she scares the hell out of me.”

Jackson laughed and shook his head.  “Oh you have it bad Mister David,” he continued to laugh.  “She has gotten under your skin, and when that happens there ain’t nothing you can do to get her out.”  Jackson saw Esther walking through the back door.  He stood and waited for her to join him.  “Speaking of getting under yer skin,” he grinned as he looked at his wife.  Jackson took Esther’s hand and together they left the porch and headed back to the fields.

David stood and went back inside.  He sat at the kitchen table, picked up a sandwich and took a bite.  Sophie sat next to him.  “They are not eating supper at the house,” said Sophie.  “What am I going to do with all that ham loaf?”

“You made a ham loaf for supper?”  David curled up his nose and made a face.

“What’s wrong with my ham loaf?” she frowned.

“Nothing’s wrong with it.  I just don’t like ham that much.  Remember my stomach.”

“But I thought it’s only pork you can’t eat?”

“Ham is pork,” David grinned seeing the fumes escape from Sophie’s ears.

“Get out of my kitchen and get back to bed before I take a broom to your backside,” she yelled. 

“You wouldn’t hit an injured man would you?”

“I’ll make your eyes close again if you don’t get out of here,” she snapped. 

David stood and grabbed another sandwich as he walked out of the kitchen and upstairs to Sophie’s bedroom.

Sophie served supper upstairs to David and her grandfather while she and Ben sat alone at the kitchen table.  After dinner, she forced Ben to take a bath and ordered him not to come out until he was scrubbed clean. 

Clean with pajamas on, Ben walked into his mother’s room carrying his favorite book and sat on the bed next to David.  “Would you read to me?” he asked David.   The dark-haired man smiled.  He couldn’t resist, knowing how much Ben enjoyed his reading aloud.  David took the book and opened the page to the place they had left off before David’s injuries.  Ben curled up next to him as David read aloud “Aladdin” from the book “Arabian Nights”.

Sophie listened in the hall as David read.  She checked in on her grandfather and he was sound asleep.  Sophie closed his door and walked into her bedroom.  Sophie climbed into bed to listen to David reading the story.  Ben leaned against her as she ran her hands up and down her son’s arm.  After several minutes he lay down between his mother and David and lifted his shirt beckoning his mother to rub his back. Sophie ran her fingers along Ben’s back sending tiny goose bumps along his skin.  They listened as David read.  Not long after, Ben fell asleep.  David continued to read a little while longer than placed the book on the night stand by the bed.

“I think he’s asleep,” smiled David.

“Let me get him to his bed.”

“No, I’ll do it.  Why don’t you relax.  Go take a bath.  You have been working too hard the last few days.”

“I don’t won’t you to hurt yourself further by lifting him.”

“I’ll be fine.” David cradled his arms under the boy and tried to lift him.  A sharp pain stabbed him in the side and almost made him pass out.  Sophie jumped up and assisted David back to bed then nudged her son to stand and slowly walked him back to his own bed.  She covered the child and leaned over and kissed him goodnight. 

Sophie walked into her room and giggled at the sight of David lying helpless on the bed.

“Quit laughing,” he snapped, more angry with himself than anything. 

“I think I will take that bath after all.” She gathered her nightgown and robe.  “No heroics while I’m gone.” 

David mumbled something incoherent, but Sophie understood the meaning.  Still giggling she went in to the bathroom and closed the door.  Sophie hung her nightwear on the hook on the back of the door.  She turned on the faucet to the bath as a spray of hot water filled the tub.  She added a good amount of bath salts to the water as a light aroma of lavender permeated the room.  Sophie undressed and stepped in the tub.  She leaned back and rested her head on the bath’s edge.  Closing her eyes she allowed the day to fade from her mind.  It felt so good just to be alone and with nothing to do but relax.  Sophie rinsed her hair as she slid back in the tub and allowed the water to rush over her.  She scrubbed the day away with a soft washcloth.  She was in heaven and didn’t want it to end, but when the water cooled it was time for Sophie to get out. 

She dried herself off with the towel and splashed a little of her favorite toilet water against her skin then slid her night gown over her head.  Before leaving she slipped into her robe and headed back to her room. 

She was hoping David would have been asleep when she was done, but he was wide awake and waiting for her.  “Did you have a nice bath?” he asked as he watched her retrieve her hairbrush from the dresser and brush out the tangles from her long hair.

“It was wonderful.  I could have stayed in there all night.”

“Why don’t you sit and let me brush your hair.  You cater to everyone all day.  The least I can do is pamper you a little.”

Sophie walked over to her side of the bed and removed her robe.  The light from the nightstand illuminated her figure through the light cotton nightgown.  David’s breath caught seeing the beautiful sight.  Sophie sat on the bed and handed David the hairbrush.  David began brushing her damp hair.  “Your hair is longer than I thought,” he said hoarsely.  “Why do you always braid it and tie it up?”

“It keeps it out of my face when I’m working,” she said unaware of the effect she was having on him.

David lifted a section of her hair and brought it to his face.  He smelled the soft scent of lavender on her hair.  He moved closer and smelled the fresh fragrance of the toilet water.  “You’re wearing the perfume I got you.”

She turned and smiled at him.  She saw something different in David’s eyes tonight, though perhaps it had been there all along.  She gazed, unable to take her own eyes from him.  She sensed his need, but worse she felt her own.  Sophie quickly turned back and David continued to brush her hair though his strokes were slower and more deliberate.

“Jackson asked me if you were my woman by common law,” said David nervously.

“Esther asked me the same question,” said Sophie as she rung her hands on the edge of her nightgown.

“What did you tell her?”

“What did you tell him?”

“I asked you first,” he grinned.

“I told her we were not intimate with each other, at least not in the biblical way.”

“Did you tell her we are sharing a bed together?”

“No,” said Sophie.  “But it is only ‘til I know you are well.”

“I know that Sophie,” said David praying it took forever for him to get well.  “I know you are not the kind of girl who would live under common law, right?”

“I would have to be married before giving myself to someone.” 

“And you would have to be married by a preacher,” added David.

“And you would have to be married by a Rabbi.”  David was surprised by her remark.

“How do you know about a Rabbi?” he nudged her.

“I just do,” she smiled.  “I know you go to a synagogue to pray, and you have a Rabbi instead of a minister.”

“I am impressed,” laughed David.  “But do you know who the cantor is?”

“No, I don’t.”  Sophie turned to look at him.  “Who is the cantor?”

“Well you’re the one with all the Judaic knowledge, you tell me.”

“I will let you know when I am good and ready,” she said as she made a mental note and added cantor as one of her questions to ask the Rabbi.  Sophie took the brush from David and laid it on the nightstand.  She turned off the light and crawled under the covers as David lay back against his three pillows.  David wished he could turn on his side and hold her against him but his ribs were still too sore to lie in that position.  He settled for holding her hand.

“Goodnight my little Sophie,” he said quietly.

“Goodnight my David.” 

Sophie lay unable to sleep all too aware of David’s presence next to her.  His hand felt wonderful wrapped in her own.

“David?”

“Yes Sophie?”

“If the lion can lay with the lamb, do you think it possible for someone of the Jewish faith to do the same with a Christian?”

“Before meeting you my answer would have been no, but now I am thinking it is possible.”  David squeezed her hand and brought it to his lips.  He kissed her hand lovingly then laid their hands down between them.  Sophie closed her eyes and slowly drifted to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.7K 944 19
It's the future, and it's illegal to believe in God. The world is under the control of one man. Christians are being hunted and killed. It's worse th...
72 10 28
In a realm where adventure and peril intertwine, Amelie and Julian's saga unfolds-a story of love's boundless strength and an insatiable quest for di...
335K 13.7K 41
*Please Read The First Book Of The Series Because It Tells How Everything Begins* [Book 2] Series of Gods Lightning returns in a whole new world. Wh...