Dolphin Tale 6

Par UnderTheBlueSkies

Sequel to DOLPHIN TALE 5 by UnderTheBlueSkies. If you have not read DOLPHIN TALE 3/4/5 by UnderTheBlueSkies... Plus

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter [1]
Chapter [2]
Chapter [3]
Chapter [4]
Chapter [5]
Chapter [6]
Chapter [7]
Chapter [8]
Chapter [9]
Chapter [10]
Chapter [11]
Chapter [12]
Chapter [13]
Chapter [14]
Chapter [15]
Chapter [16]
Chapter [17]
Chapter [18]
Chapter [19]
Chapter [20]
Chapter [21]
Chapter [22]
Chapter [23]
Chapter [24]
Chapter [25]
Chapter [26]
Chapter [27]
Chapter [28]
Chapter [29]
Chapter [30]
Chapter [31]
Author's Note

Epilogue

1.2K 25 32
Par UnderTheBlueSkies

E p i l o g u e

* * * Three months later * * *

"And that concludes today's meeting. There'll be one tomorrow morning at seven to finalise the design so that it can be sent to the building company for their approval. Once that's done, the construction will commence within the month and it's expected that the aquarium will be completed within the year - possibly even longer."

Everyone shuffled their papers into reasonably neat piles and closed their files as Philip wrapped the meeting up. For the past couple of months, meetings had been held almost every single day of every single week in order to get the construction of the new aquarium underway as soon as possible. It had been strenuous and rather tiresome, listening to the same lecture with slight alterations at every meeting, but everyone knew that it was necessary.

One by one, those who were gathered at the meeting stood, bade farewell, and left Philip's office until only Dr. Clay remained.

"You may leave, Clay," Philip said, staring at his business associate.

Dr. Clay nodded, his gaze drawn to the screen on which an image was projected. It was the hypothetical image of what the new dolphin exhibit would look like, drawn up by a collaboration between experienced graphic designers and architectural experts.

Philip followed Dr. Clay's gaze, smiling when he saw what he was staring at. "It's amazing, isn't it? To see your dream become a reality."

"Almost a reality," Dr. Clay corrected. "I just can't believe that this is really happening. I mean, after everything we've been through, I just can't believe that something good is coming out of all this. I was starting to think that my life would be shrouded by suffocating darkness and bitter anguish forever."

"And yet, without darkness, when would you be able to see the stars? Without darkness, what is the meaning and significance of light?" Philip said, a soft smile playing on his lips, his eyebrows raised in a questioning manner. "Sometimes, we need darkness in order to fully appreciate the light."

Dr. Clay laughed. "When did you get so philosophical?"

Philip shrugged, ever-so-slightly embarrassed. "It's a new talent of mine," he said, grinning, placing a hand on Clay's shoulder. "Now, get out of here. I've got work to do and you're distracting me."

Clay stood and turned to shake Philip's hand. "Always a pleasure to do business with you," he said, a warm, genuine smile lighting up his facial features.

"Same to you, too," Philip said. He shook his outstretched hand before drawing away and waving him out of the office. Once Dr. Clay was gone, he settled back down into his chair, smiling contently. Things were definitely going a lot smoother than he had initially expected.

* * *

In the week leading up to the demolition of the aquarium, both Hazel and Sawyer had been quite active, always helping out whenever they were required to, and even when they weren't. They took it as their responsibility to help out wherever they could in the last couple of days, and with their combined effort, as well as the work everyone around them did, things went very smoothly and according to plan.

They had both come to the mutual agreement that seeing to the animals' needs while they were being transported was their first priority. After the animals had been removed and transported to the truck, Hazel and Sawyer had taken it upon themselves to see that they were comfortable and at ease for the journey to their new temporary homes. Occasionally, they'd travel with the animals, as was the case with Winter and Hope.

In order to keep them calm, Sawyer had decided that it was best to transfer Winter and Hope together instead of separately. Hazel had agreed immediately, and they both set to work to have them transferred together to MOTE Aquarium and Laboratory where Nicholas was being treated.

It was with a sharp pang in his heart and a tear in his eye that Sawyer had said goodbye to Winter. It was a bittersweet moment, even though he knew that it was only temporary. It wasn't really a definitive goodbye, after all - it was more of a "see you later". And so, after promising to visit whenever he could - the staff, having known about his connection with Winter, had given him access to the aquarium for free whenever he wanted to visit - he left and was soon joined by Hazel, who had just finished saying a rather teary goodbye to Hope.

Wordlessly, Sawyer had circled an arm around her waist and pulled her in close - close enough to see every tiny freckle that adorned the bridge of her nose and dotted her tear-stained cheeks like the star-strewn evening sky.

From that moment on, after the demolition of the aquarium was completed, they had spent a lot more time together alone as there really wasn't much else for them to do except go along to meetings and visit Winter and Hope. Together, things became a bit more intimate as they pushed their boundaries, testing their limits to see how far they could go; testing each other's trust and honesty as they discovered new things about each other, and at some point in time, entered a boundless fantastical world where they could simply let go of their worries - a place where only happiness and pure bliss existed. A place where the opalescent azure ocean kissed the periwinkle blue sky; where the lush tall trees stood to attention, saluting the sun, moon, and stars as they came and went. A place where they could lay, uninterrupted by technology or other people, on the sandy shore and simply listen to the placid sounds of nature that surrounded them; listen to the sound of each other's breaths; listen to the sound of each other's hearts.

This was the realm that they entered in their dreams; as soon as they closed their eyes, their breathing slowed, and together, as they lay snuggled up against each other, their hands entwined, they let all their troubles wash away like water rushing up onto the sand and stealing away all the footprints that had been imprinted onto the shore.

Since their house had been completely destroyed by the storm, Hazel had chosen to stay with Sawyer and his mother, while Dr. Clay and his father had decided that it was best to stay with Phoebe and Kyle, whose initial friendship appeared to have blossomed into something more, though when questioned, both would blatantly deny the rumors, or in general, avoid the question altogether.

Time seemed to fly by, and before they knew it, Christmas Eve had dawned. The weak rays of sunlight glistened off the array of icicles that hung from the trees like a million white-coloured fairy lights. The ground was covered in a blanket of soft white snow, and it was as though the houses were made of gingerbread; the rooftops were covered in a generous dusting of icing sugar complete with edible silver decorations, sparkling like glitter that had been liberally scattered here and there.

Snow in Clearwater, Florida was a rare phenomenon - so rare that when it occurred, it was considered a blessing. The sight of pure white snow drifting serenely down from the pale pastel blue sky was enough to make everyone's hearts open in elation, like the delicate petals of flowers unfurling under the joyous rays of sunlight. The storm had, to a certain extent, altered the weather patterns in Clearwater according to meteorologists, and thus was the trigger - the catalyst - for the current snowfall.

It was just another sign that, perhaps, terrible events and happenings really could lead to beautiful results. And perhaps darkness was required in order to fully appreciate the undeniable beauty of light and what a blessing it truly was; without darkness, there would be no light; we'd only know of a monotony that would be neither light nor dark, and from this, ennui* could arise as we continually took it for granted.

Nature had revealed its ruthless, cruel, and savage side to those at Clearwater Marine Aquarium and others living in the wake of destruction the storm had left, but it had made each and every single one of them appreciate and cherish its splendid, serene, and sublime side.

Christmas spirit was clearly in the air as everyone began their day; decorations had appeared all over the place—on houses, cars, and in light of the recent events, even the odd industrial building that belonged to major companies was taking part in the festivities—a strong symbol of unity in the city. The construction of the aquarium was already under way, with the foundations for the new structure having been laid down a few weeks ago - it was like watching a tiny green shoot germinate after a devastating fire; a phoenix being reborn from the ashes in which it had died. A new hope arose, fueling the fire within everyone's souls, drowning the oppressive darkness in a radiant light. Slowly, life seemed to be going back to normal—almost.

Nobody could deny the fact that CMA, once rebuilt, was never going to be the same anymore. Aside from the obvious—Bondi wasn't with them anymore—there was the fact that there would always be an edginess and uncertainty that lingered in the atmosphere.

Philip Horden had said that the buildings would be built in a way so that they'd have a much better chance of withstanding even the fiercest of storms, but even if the buildings were guaranteed to withstand nature's unpredictable ferocity, there would still be a lingering apprehension of whether or not history would repeat itself. And so it was clear that when Clearwater Marine Aquarium reopened, it was going to be operated slightly differently with staff on tenterhooks, constantly on high alert and ready for immediate action in case of another emergency.

In short, the new CMA was going to be bigger, better, and hopefully, much safer than before.

* * *

When Hazel first opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was Sawyer's face. His eyes were open, his expression serene, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Hey," she said softly, squinting as the dim light in which the room was bathed in hit her eyes.

"Morning, beautiful," he said, propping himself up on his elbow, gazing down at Hazel, his eyes glinting in the early morning light filtering in through a gap to the side of the curtained windows.

Hazel rubbed her eyes, still adjusting to the slivers of mild sunlight that had managed to escape from behind the curtain and into the bedroom. When she had become accustomed to the degree of light in the room, she glanced up at Sawyer, her eyes wandering around his face, taking in the defined features that a combination of light and shadows highlighted. 

The light from beyond the curtains was mirrored in his eyes, sparkling and dancing in his brown irides as he continued to stare at her, seemingly enraptured. She stared back up at him, unable to hold back a smile, and wondered what he was thinking about.

They lay in bed for a while, silently gazing endearingly at each other, before there was a knock on the door, throwing them out of their reveries and bringing them back to the present.

"May I come in?"

Sawyer sat up and shot a quick glance at Hazel before answering. "Sure, Mom."

Lorraine opened the door and even more light entered the bedroom. She crossed silently over to the window and pulled the curtains back, letting the natural light flood the room, before turning to face the couple, smiling.

"Good morning, guys. Do you have any plans for today? Because if not, you could help me prepare for the Christmas dinner we're hosting tomorrow - I'd really appreciate that, actually."

"No problem. We'd be glad to help," Hazel said, sitting up and offering her a warm smile.

"Thank you," said Lorraine. "I'll leave you two to get dressed and I guess I'll see you in the kitchen soon." She smiled before turning and leaving the room, making sure to close the bedroom door behind her as she left.

Hazel leaned her head against Sawyer's shoulder, her gaze directed to the world beyond the window. "It's beautiful out there. It reminds me of the fact that nature can be beautiful—you just have to look past its ruthless, demon-like facade."

"And I guess the same goes for people. Like Colton, for example. He's done some terrible things in the past—some unforgivable—but after what he did for us a few months ago, I'm starting to think that there is a spark of kindness hiding behind his walls of bitterness."

"I guess so, yeah."

"And it goes to show that beauty really isn't skin deep," Sawyer said thoughtfully.

"Now that is something I agree with, and it's something that, unfortunately, a lot of people don't realise," Hazel added, nodding.

Sawyer made a noise of assent, before wrapping an arm around her and kissing her gently on the forehead. "We'd better get dressed if we're to help my mom prepare for tomorrow."

Hazel nodded and slipped out of Sawyer's gentle embrace. She slid gracefully off the bed, standing up and making her way over to the window. Her gaze was fixated on the world beyond the glass window panes, her expression distant—nostalgic, even.

"What you thinking about?" Sawyer asked, joining her by the window. He leaned again the window frame, trying to decipher Hazel's intricate web of thoughts.

"What are we going to do while the aquarium is under construction? Phil said that it was going to take a year—give or take." She turned to face Sawyer, a gentle fire simmering in her eyes. "I'm just so used to being at the aquarium all the time, busying myself with the animals and my chores, that I simply don't know what to do now. I just feel kind of empty, you know?"

Sawyer nodded sympathetically. He completely understood what Hazel was talking about, and truth be told, he was feeling a little bit empty himself.

"I'm just trying to imagine what it would have been like to live a normal childhood—one where you run around with friends at the school's playground, playing tag, and get invited to birthday parties. Imagine what it would be like—the good old days where we'd falsely think that we were the centre of the universe, thus everything automatically revolved around us. I don't know about you," she said, turning to look at Sawyer before directing her gaze back to the winner wonderland outside, "but my childhood was filled with responsibility and tough decision-making, as well as plenty of hardships."

Sawyer stayed silent, Hazel's words bringing in a wave nostalgia, causing him to reflect on his own childhood. He remembered the bullies, and that particular summer school teacher whom his mother had persuaded with a little help from Rufus. He remember his father leaving, and the hardships that him and his mother had encountered after his abrupt departure. But most of all, he remembered Winter's rescue, and all the things that happened afterwards.

"If that's what a normal childhood is—a happy-go-lucky kid running around in an even happier world—then I was far from having one. But I'm glad I didn't, because I wouldn't have learned so many important life lessons. The world doesn't revolve around me, or you—or us, as a collective. We aren't the centre of the universe—far from it, in fact. I still don't quite fully understand how the universe works, but maybe it was never meant to be fully understood—instead, perhaps it's to remain an intriguing celestial mystery for ever."

Hazel nodded, her expression morphing into a thoughtful one. Then, a while later, she drew away from the window and walked over to the floor-length mirror in the corner of the room. Her hands subconsciously touched her stomach, and she sighed softly, before walking over to the closet to pick out an outfit for the day, Sawyer watching her every move.

* * *

It was afternoon, and Lorraine had just finished putting the last layer of her soon-to-be three-tiered chocolate cake into the freezer.

The turkey was marinating in the fridge and the gingerbread house was constructed, ready to be decorated the next day. Christmas bonbons were still in their boxes, placed underneath the medium-sized Christmas tree that stood to the corner of the living room, soft green fronds caressing the cream-coloured walls. There were no presents under the tree, but the next day would definitely prove to be different as guests invited to their Christmas dinner arrived. 

Lorraine clapped her hands together and the sound resounded around the room like the merry chime of bells. "Thanks for helping, guys. Sawyer, do you mind going to the storeroom and grabbing the ornaments for the Christmas tree? I thought it would be nice to decorate it together."

Sawyer nodded, turning and walking away.

As soon as he was out of sight, Lorraine turned to face Hazel. "You do realise that you can talk to me about anything, right? If you need any advice or consolation, I'm always willing to take you under my wings."

Hazel felt her face flush and she diverted her gaze to the floor meekly. "I know. I just—I want to do some things on my own, you know? I want to have a sense of responsibility when it comes to . . . certain things. But I am grateful that I can always turn to you when I'm in doubt or hit a dead end."

"It's just that you've been acting quite unlike yourself recently, and I have a hunch, but I don't want to say anything in case it isn't."

"Maybe that's who I've evolved to be," Hazel suggested, a careless, nonchalant lilt to her voice.

"No, I don't think so," Lorraine said, shaking her head. "It's something else. Have you taken a pre—"

"Here we go."

Hazel breathed a heavy sigh of relief when Sawyer returned, carrying a cardboard box that was overflowing with colourful, sparkling ornaments. She knew what Lorraine was about  to ask, and she was glad that Sawyer had interrupted before she could be interrogated any further.

Lorraine shot a pointed look at Hazel before turning to smile at her son. "Thanks, hon."

Sawyer set the box down on the ground and knelt by the Christmas tree, picking up a glittering ornament and hanging it on a branch. He was soon joined by his mother, with Hazel hesitating slightly before carefully kneeling on the ground opposite them.

"Are you all right, Hazel?" Sawyer asked, his eyes locking with hers, deeply concerned. "You look like you've seen a ghost. . . ."

Hazel forced a smile onto her face, nodding profusely. "Of course!"

Sawyer inclined his head before turning to face his mother and striking up a conversation about the plans for the next day.

Hazel sighed, picking up a silvery bauble and holding it up to the light, admiring it as it sparkled. She glanced over to her husband and mother-in-law, wishing that her father and grandfather were here so that she could break the news to them. Sometimes, secrets were worth keeping until the right moment to be shared, but other times, perhaps it was better to alleviate the burden before it became a crushing force to be reckoned with.

* * *

The sun hadn't even risen when Hazel woke up with a start the next morning. A quick glance at the digital clock told her that it was just past three—too early to be awake on Christmas day.

She turned her head to the side, catching sight of Sawyer, his eyes closed, mouth slightly open, his breathing light. As tempting as it was to kiss him then and there, she decided that it would be so much nicer to just let him sleep.

And so she settled with watching him as he slept, his gentle breaths like a calming lullaby, allowing her to drift into a tranquil trance-like state.

But then the reason for awaking abruptly at three in the morning kicked in full force and Hazel was forced to get out of bed, running out of the bedroom and towards the bathroom where she closed the door, locking in any sounds that could potentially wake Sawyer or his mother up.

Standing up, Hazel flushed the toilet and slowly made her way over the sink, rinsing her mouth thoroughly and splashing cool water all over her face. She leaned her head against the cool tiled wall in an attempt to alleviate the swirling nausea she felt in her stomach that sent the world into a spinning frenzy—a merry-go-round on fast-forward.

She froze when a soft knock sounded on the door, followed by the sound of the door opening.

Slowly, Hazel turned around to face the person who had entered the bathroom, her eyes wide.

"Oh, honey."

Despite the fact that the bathroom smelled rancid, and despite the fact that she looked like she'd just dug herself out of a junk pile, Lorraine still walked over to Hazel and enveloped her into a warm hug,  stroking her hair and whispering calming words into her ear, radiating warmth,  love, and concern, as well as an entire spectrum of emotions in between. Being around a motherly figure, especially at times like this, helped her feel more at ease and reassured.

Hazel sunk into Lorraine's embrace gratefully as it provided the comfort she so desperately required.

"It's going to be okay," Lorraine said soothingly.

"How do you know?" Hazel mumbled.

"Motherly instinct."

And that's all Hazel needed to hear in order to calm down and relax. She was just incredibly glad to have someone like Lorraine Nelson in her life—a light that guided her through the twists, turns, and dead ends in the dark.

"Now, why don't you head on back to bed—there are a few more hours before the sun comes up, you know," Lorraine said, tenderly pulling away from Hazel and holding her at arms length so that she could survey her critically. "Or we could go to the kitchen and drink some hot chocolate and chat about random things while we wait for the sun to rise."

"Don't you have to work late tomorrow, though? I don't want you to be tired because you stayed up with me," Hazel said tiredly. "Besides, it's bad enough that I woke you up."

"It's fine, Hazel—trust me. Look—how about we go and make some hot chocolate and sit down somewhere. I'll explain a few things then."

Hazel nodded, curious. "Sure," she said, following Lorraine out of the bathroom, closing the door behind her, and down the hallway into the kitchen. She immediately walked over to help but was immediately shooed away.

"Go and make yourself comfortable—this won't take long," Lorraine said, waving a teaspoon in the general direction of the couches.

And so, Hazel grudgingly walked into the living room and sank down onto one of the couches, sliding her feet out of her slippers and curling up against the armrest, resting her head delicately onto one of the cushions. She was soon joined by Lorraine, who carefully handed her a steaming mug of hot chocolate, complete with two pink marshmallows.

Hazel could feel the warmth seeping through the mug, slowly creeping through her hands and up her arms, gradually warming up her body. "So," she said, taking a cautious sip of the steaming hot liquid and relishing the feel of the warmth spreading through her.

Lorraine sighed. "You didn't wake me up, Hazel, because I was already awake. Sometimes I just lay in bed and read until my eyes just can't stay open for any longer. Other times I sit by the window, look at the stars, and reflect on the past."

"So you rarely sleep?"

"I only sleep if I know I have a really long shift the next morning. Otherwise I tend to stay awake at night, because it's only then that I have a chance to pull my scattered thoughts together in the peace and quiet of the evening."

"Does Sawyer know?" 

There was a pause.

"No. And I don't want him to because I know that he will only worry about me and I don't want that. I want him to focus more on himself and his future with you," Lorraine said, a pleading glimmer in her eyes. "Please don't tell him."

"He's your son. . . ."

"I know. But I also know that he will lose it and drop everything to try and help me—and by everything, I mean everything. And I don't want that to happen, so please. Don't tell him."

Hazel remained silent.

"I'm getting old, Hazel—my time is running out; my clock is slowing down and it will eventually stop. You are my future, and I want you to have a good future. Don't worry about me so much—I'll make the most of the time I have left, but I just want you to focus on yourself . . . and your family," she added, her gaze flicking towards the bedroom in which Sawyer was sleeping before coming to rest on Hazel's stomach.

"You are family," Hazel said defiantly.

Lorraine's calm gaze returned to Hazel's face, though this time, there was a spark of sadness within her eyes. She took a long sip of her drink before setting her mug on the coffee table. "But I am not your future, Hazel. I am the present, and eventually . . . I will be a thing of the past."

Hazel shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes. She hastily placed her hot chocolate on the coffee table, afraid of spilling it everywhere if she started crying. "Don't say that. You have plenty of time left and you and I both know it. And you will never be a thing of the past—I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep," Lorraine said, smiling sadly. "Eventually, I will become a thing of the past and all you will have is you, your family, and your future, which is why I don't want you or Sawyer worrying about me."

Unable to speak due to the tears that were streaming down her face and the sob threatening to erupt from her throat, Hazel simply threw herself at Lorraine Nelson, wrapping her arms around her and pulling her into a tight embrace. 

"You will never be a thing of the past—not with everything you've done for me," Hazel mumbled defiantly into her shoulder.

"Thank you," Lorraine whispered, bittersweet tears springing into her eyes.

It was Hazel who pulled away first, wiping away the tears that were still falling with the back of her hand. She smiled at Lorraine, her vision blurry from all the tears that hadn't escaped. "I think I'll head back to bed; I don't want Sawyer getting worried or suspicious when he wakes up."

"Merry Christmas, Hazel," Lorraine said, smiling sadly as Hazel stood up to leave.

"Merry Christmas . . . Mom," Hazel replied, a small smile playing on her lips. 

Before Hazel reached the bedroom, she turned to face her once more. "And you should really try and get some sleep before the sun rises. Tomorrow—well, today—is going to be a big day for more reasons than one."

 "I will," Lorraine said, standing and picking up the mugs from the coffee table. "Thank you, Hazel."

"Love you."

Lorraine paused, gazing intently at Hazel. A smile crept onto her face, lighting up her features, making her look years younger. "I love you, too. More than you could possibly ever know."

* * *

"Hey, Dad," Hazel said as soon as she caught sight of her father. She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him, placing a kiss on his cheek. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Hazel," was his reply. He smiled fondly at her, and said, reminiscently, "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"I know," Hazel said sadly. 

"Hazel!"

Her gaze moved past her father and focused on her grandfather's face, a warm smile lighting up his features. "Hey, Granddad," she said, sinking into his embrace, "I haven't seen you in a long time." Glancing back at her father, she added, "It's great to back together again—all of us, as a family."

"It is, isn't it?" Reed Haskett said cheerily, letting go of Hazel and taking a step back, his gaze drifting away from his son and granddaughter. "Lorraine! So nice to see you again!"

"Hi, Reed," Lorraine said, smiling. "Merry Christmas. How are you?"

"I'm fine. And a very Merry Christmas to you, too."

"Lorraine. Merry Christmas."

Hazel's gaze traveled towards her father who had walked towards Lorraine, his arms outstretched. There was a moment's awkward hesitation before the tension evaporated and she accepted his offer, drawing him into a welcoming embrace.

"Merry Christmas, Clay. It's really nice to see you again," Lorraine said, drawing back, a blush creeping onto her face.

"And you."

There was another tangible silence before it was interrupted by the sound of light-hearted laughter that surrounded the awkwardness, squeezing it tightly until it dissipated completely, leaving only a comfortable atmosphere. A few moments later, Phoebe and Kyle entered the living room, their arms laden with presents wrapped in glittering, colourful paper.

"Hey, guys," said Kyle.

"Merry Christmas!" Phoebe added. "Where should we put all these presents?"

"Merry Christmas, guys. Glad you could make it!" Lorraine exclaimed. "And all of those can go under the Christmas tree."

"Where's Sawyer?" Dr. Clay asked, his eyes skimming the room, noticing the unmistakable absence of his son-in-law.

"He's—" Lorraine began, scanning the room, frowning slightly.

"I'm here."

Everyone's gazes turned towards Sawyer as he walked into the living room, holding several precariously-balanced, oddly-shaped packages covered in festive wrapping paper on top of each other. Hazel immediately rushed to his side and helped relieve some of the presents from him to prevent them from toppling over.

"Thanks, Hazel. Sorry—I may or may not have left the gift-wrapping to the very last minute," he said sheepishly, eliciting a chorus of genial laughter from everyone who was gathered in the room. After setting the presents under the Christmas tree, he turned to face everyone and smiled.

There was a pleasant silence that smelt like honey on toast mixed with a tangible aroma of cinnamon and mixed spices. It was a homely sensation that slid smoothly, delicately into their veins, infusing with their blood, warming them to the core, as though the delightful crackling of fire had blanketed the room, spreading an aura of coziness and contentment.

"It's nice to see you guys again. After everything we've been through together over the past year - with so much devastation, hardship, and loss - it's nice to be back celebrating something as unifying, joyful, and spirit-lifting as Christmas," Sawyer said, looking at everyone with fervent admiration and appreciation evident in his eyes. "So - Merry Christmas to you all, and may our lives be filled with love, laughter, and light for many years to come."

A chorus of "Merry Christmas" rang throughout the living room, a cheerful harmony that completed the Christmas melody and homely undertones, creating an overall song that resonated with the meaning of family, friends, and the true spirit of Christmas.

* * *

The look in her eyes - it was one that he'd never seen before - a mixture of intense scrutiny as she looked him up and down, and something else he couldn't quite put his finger on.

When he moved, he found it eerie in the way that she remained still and silent, and yet her eyes would follow his movement.

"Phoebe, are you okay?"'

"Yeah—no—I don't know. . . ."

Kyle grabbed hold of Phoebe's hand and pulled her into a dark corner of the corridor, away from the prying eyes and ears of everyone in the living room. He pressed her against the wall, his eyes boring into hers, delving deep into her expression and trying to decipher its meaning.

"Tell me—what's going on?"

"I've been doing some thinking, Kyle, and ever since the storm, I've come to a sudden realisation." Drawing in a deep breath, Phoebe sighed. "I've got a confession to make."

Kyle visibly tensed, his jaw and fists clenched, eyes widening a fraction. He swallowed, trying to keep his heart rate steady as he stared intently at her.

Noticing that she had captured his full and undivided attention, Phoebe's gaze began wandering around the corridor, determinately looking at anything—anywhere—other than Kyle, except it was rather difficult as all she could see was him—he was like a shield that prevented her mind from wandering.

"I just—" Phoebe sighed, shaking her head. "No, I can't say it."

"Would it help if I said something first?" Kyle asked, his nerves on tenterhooks.

For the first time in a few minutes, Phoebe hesitantly caught his gaze, fear and apprehension gnawing on her nerves.

"That depends on what you say. . . ."

"Well—" there was a moment of hesitation "—I like you, Phoebe."

There was a moment of hesitation, and in that moment, his heart seemed to skip a beat as time slowed to a standstill. He watched her mouth open and close as she faltered, struggling to form words. But then she spoke, the hesitation clear in her tone.

"Kyle, I—"

"Sorry, I just couldn't keep it in any longer. I really, really like you and I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure it out."

"Kyle—"

"But. . . ." he trailed off as Phoebe clapped a hand over his mouth. Instead he focused on her expression, and from what he could read from the way she was biting her lip, what she had to say wasn't going to be good.

"Kyle, I like you—I do—but I . . . I don't know. I've realised that, recently, I haven't been myself. I've been different—this isn't the real me. I think you like the me I am now, but I don't know if you like the me I was before all this craziness began—the real me. And the way I feel towards you . . . I'm just afraid that it's going to change once I bring back the person I used to be."

"Phoebe, I—"

"Just listen to me, Kyle—please," Phoebe pleaded, her voice barely even a whisper so as not to attract anyone's attention. "I don't know if you like me because I'm vulnerable at the moment and you think I need protection, or if you really like me for who I am. I don't know, and that's the problem. I don't want to rush into something a intricate as a relationship, only to find out that you only liked me because of my vulnerability and need for protection. I need to know that you like me for who I am—the real me, not this damsel in distress. . . ."

There was a moment of stiff silence before Kyle nodded.

"I understand."

"I'm so sorry, Kyle," she whispered, gazing at him with nothing but sincerity in her eyes.

"It's fine," he said softly, smiling sadly. "Just know that I do love you for who you truly are, and I am willing to wait until the moment you realise that. And if you decide that your own feelings change when you find the real you . . . that's okay, too. I'm just going to play the waiting game—that's my move. . . . What's yours?"

And with that, he pressed a gentle kiss on the top of her forehead before turning around and walking away, leaving Phoebe standing by the wall, alone, and wondering if she had made the right decision.

* * *

"That was delicious, Lorraine," Dr. Clay said, smiling as he put down his knife and fork. "I never knew you were such a great cook!" he added, a mumur of assent echoing through the room.

The day had passed by relatively quickly, and before they knew it, dinner was over—all the food had been devoured within an hour.

"Thanks, Clay," Lorraine said, a blush creeping onto her cheeks. "I couldn't have done it without Sawyer and Hazel, though. I think it's time for dessert—I'll go get it now."

"Actually, Lorraine, I think we should give Hazel and Sawyer their gift, first. Dessert can wait; I think we're all quite full, at the moment."

Sawyer exchanged a perplexed look with Hazel, before speaking. "Gift? What gift?"

"Do you have it?" Lorraine asked, looking pointedly at Dr. Clay.

"I do."

After digging around in his jacket pocket, Dr. Clay withdrew his hand that was now clenched into a ball. He stood and made his way to stand inbetween Sawyer and Hazel, both of whom stared up at him in bewilderment.

"You know how I said I had taken up more shifts at the hospital?" Lorraine asked, causing everyone's attention to shift towards her. "Well, that's partly true. I did that so that we could afford your gift, but also so that you wouldn't get suspicious of my—or should I say our—true intentions," she continued, her gaze focusing on Dr. Clay.

"What do you mean?" Hazel asked, frowning.

"Sawyer, your mother worked longer, and for more days, so that we could afford this for you guys. But we also had to go on regular outings during the day to find the perfect gift for you, and we think we've found it. We couldn't tell you the truth because you'd get suspicious, so we just pretended that she picked up a lot of extra day-shifts."

"You didn't have to do that, Mom. Or you, Dr. Clay," Sawyer said, shaking his head. "Just having the both of you is a gift in itself. Having all of you guys here is the best gift one could possibly ever ask for."

"He's right, you know. You didn't need to go to all that effort to get us a gift," Hazel added. "Sometimes the simplest gifts are the most meaningful."

"Well, in any case, we bought this for you, and we hope you like it," Lorraine said, smiling. She inclined her head towards Dr. Clay, who unclenched his hand and lowered it so that everyone could see what was resting in his palm.

"Merry Christmas," he said.

Both Hazel and Sawyer gasped, as resting in his hand was a set of keys—house keys.

"For you two, from Lorraine and I."

"Oh my goodness!" Sawyer said, taking the keys from Dr. Clay and holding them in his hands, feeling the weight of responsiblity resting upon his shoulders. He held them up to the light, as though inspecting them, before turning to Hazel in disbelief. "This is ours?"

Hazel smiled through the tears that were streaming down her face. "Yes, and it's perfect." She stood and hugged her father, uttering a choked word of thanks, before running to Lorraine and enveloping her in a bone-crushing embrace.

"Thank you, Dr. Clay. And thank you so much, Mom," Sawyer said, still recovering from the initial shock of receiving the gift. "I never expected this—never. How can we ever repay you guys?"

Lorraine smiled, still locked in a tight embrace with Hazel. "Your love, continued hard-work and dedication to everything you do is all we require. Just continue to be you—that's all we ask of you guys."

"Thank you," Sawyer said, the gratitude he felt reflected in his tone, eyes, and expression. "And speaking of gifts, Hazel, I got this for you."

Hazel released Lorraine and turned to face Sawyer, who pulled a small blue velvet box from his pocket. He beckoned for Hazel to return to his side, and when he did, he handed it to her. It's not much, but I think you'll like it."

Cautiously, Hazel opened the box and gasped, tears returning to her eyes as she openly gaped at the necklace within. Carefully, she set the box down on the table and took the necklace out, holding it up for everyone to see.

There was a collective exhalation as everyone admired the way the crystals embedded in the silver necklace glittered as they caught the light.

"I love it—it's beautiful!" Hazel breathed, turning to face Sawyer, a broad smile etched on her face.

And it truly was beautiful. Silvery diamonds adorned a love-heart, and contained within the heart was the word "love". There was also a silver dolphin that joined the word "love" and the heart together.

"Here—let me put it on for you," Sawyer said, taking the necklace from Hazel. He pushed her hair aside before clasping the necklace. 

Once he was done, Hazel turned and smiled. "What do you think?"

"It suits you. And you look as beautiful as ever," Sawyer said, grinning. His heart began beating faster as he continued to stare at Hazel, his eyes widening at just how naturally beautiful she was—both inside and out.

"Thank you, Sawyer," Hazel said, pulling him into a warm embrace. "And that reminds me, I have something for you, too."

"You do?"

"Well, it wouldn't hurt for everyone else to see what it is, which is why I want to do this now, and not in private."

"Okay. . . ?"

"Here," said Hazel, holding out a small rectangular-shaped package she had retrieved from the floor before handing it to him, biting her lip, a small smile gracing her lips.

"That's not the actual present, though; the real one's going to take a few months to get here—seven months, give or take."

Sawyer's eyes met Hazel's, and within them was a whirlwind of confusion. "What kind of present is that? Does it have to be made and then shipped over or something?" he said, with a hint of incredulity and surprise.

Hazel laughed. "Kind of. . . . It has to grow and then be delivered."

"Grow . . . and be delivered. . . ?" Sawyer's eyebrows pulled together as he struggled to put the pieces together. "Hazel, are you saying what I think you're saying. . . ?"

Hazel grinned. "Unwrap your present and find out for yourself."

Sawyer's gaze dropped down to the package in his hands, and after a while, he began to slowly open it, his hands working delicately to make sure he didn't damage whatever was inside. 

At last, the wrapping paper fell away and the back of a picture frame could be seen.

"Turn it over," Hazel said encouragingly when Sawyer hesitated and looked up at her uncertainly.

Slowly, he turned it over, and what he saw made his jaw drop. His eyes stayed fixated on the picture in the frame before glancing up at Hazel, the pure delight in his eyes marred by thinly-veiled hesitation. 

"Is—Is this real, or is this just another one of my dreams?"

Hazel smiled. "Merry Christmas, Sawyer."

"So this is real? What—How?"

Hazel raised an eyebrow, barely concealing a smile. "I think you know how. But the real question is are you ready for another adventure? This one is going to be for the rest of our lives, though."

Sawyer glanced around the table at everyone who was gathered, everyone whom he cared about. Their eyes were all wide, their mouths open in shock as they saw the black and white ultrasound image contained within the frame.

He nodded, gently pressing his hands to her abdomen, tears of absolute delight in his eyes. "I am, Hazel. I definitely am. And I think everyone else is, too."

* * *

*Ennui: a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement (Dictionary.com)

Hazel and Sawyer's home (an actual house in Clearwater, Florida): 

Hazel's necklace:

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

117K 4.6K 51
For years, no, her whole life, Naida Muriel has been attracted to the sea. It's rhythmic tide, soothing waves, powerful potential, and the way it see...
49.6K 405 9
What if Nico had never gotten over Percy? What if he still loved him? What if he was desperate? Well, he is all of the above. With the help of Aphrod...
Unconditionally Par Maysilee Smith

Roman pour Adolescents

13.7K 384 53
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS IN NEED OF EDITING. READ ABOUT CLICHE EVENTS AND EXPERIENCE PLOT HOLES AT YOUR OWN RISK "The kiss that started everything yeste...
34 0 19
Hi, I'm Kai! I will take you on a unique and surprising journey: in my home, the ocean. Through my curious dolphin eyes, you will discover the wo...