Midnight • (Zayn Malik)

Od malikstasy

Luna [loo-nuh] noun 1. A completely unordinary girl who enjoys drawing, the absence of color, records, and a... Viac

midnight
black nail polish
spray paint and cigarettes
bands
moonlit walks
counter number five
new kid
an encounter
pale skin and ukuleles
beach bums
last name
shake on it
haircuts and mix cd's
boyanotrophicophobia
hair dye
valentine's dates
color
friends
namasté
misfits
mon univers
spring break: arrival in London
spring break: Doncaster
spring break: exploring London
spring break: lost in London
spring break: lost in London pt. 2
spring break: arrival in Normandy
spring break: art in Normandy
spring break: arrival in Paris
spring break: ville de l'amour
spring break: coming home
problems and piercings
late night thoughts
"hang out"
oops
weights lifted
robbers
yellow
kickflip
the incident
the incident pt. 2
new phase
the thing
bloody knuckles
tent
roller coasters
cough syrup
smoke
art alley
the city : epilogue
a brief kiss hello again

sober

1.3K 49 85
Od malikstasy

Violet Harmon: so luna how'd your /thing/ go?

Monte Carlo: yes share pls

Surfer Sienna: thing???

Violet Harmon: Luna went on a date with Zain

Surfer Sienna: whAT

Monte Carlo: it is true

Violet Harmon: did he make the moon rise? ;-)

reply: honestly Violet how do I even respond-

reply: it was nice btw

Violet Harmon: ugh you always skimp on the details

reply: u could always ask Zain 4 them lol

Surfer Sienna: ya ok right sure uh huh alright

Monte Carlo: Luna you cruel girl :(

reply: if i send a pic will u guys b satisfied

An explosion of replies burst after I sent that and I sighed.

reply: IMG_0812

Violet Harmon: omg his hair is silver

Surfer Sienna: AWH TWINS :'-)

I sighed as my phone blew up with a thousand more responses from the three of them. This was exactly why I always "skimp on the details" as Violet put it. It could be worse I guess like if they acted this way around Zain in person. They did tend to stare at us at school quite a lot though but tomorrow was the start of a new week so maybe they'll stop that. But ya know, probably not.

reply: man its getting l8 c u @ school tomorrow friends :P

Monte Carlo: but you did not answer questions :(

Violet Harmon: it's okay Monte we'll interrogate her at school

Monte Carlo: yes and Lou can help me corner Zain in art

Violet Harmon: that's the spirit :-)

reply: omg bYE

I couldn't help but giggle at them. Yeah, they were a bit much when it came to the topic of Zain and I but the truth was it made the sparks in my chest erupt and I didn't actually mind all the blushing. I was getting used to the idea of us the more time I spent with Zain and I didn't care so much that there wasn't a label. Although a part of me- which seemed to grow bigger by the day- kind of wished there was. I mean, what could possibly be so terrible about having someone that you call boyfriend and spend all of your time with? If a boyfriend is a person that lights something inside of you and the minutes that pass between you are counted by the amount of laughs, kisses and heartbeats, then it really wasn't terrible at all.

At that exact point in my life I could feel the tender edges of the healing wounds on my heart burning and I was actually afraid that what was inside might burst through the delicate seams. I liked Zain so much. I liked his quick wit, his carefully artistic hands that were always covered in metal, the way he looked when he smoked or just any time. I liked how his sunshine eyes radiated whenever he was around his family or listening to music, how he always said things to annoy me, how he prided himself off of his "badass" appearance. I liked the way his scorching touches turned feather soft when he was about to kiss me, the ridiculous way he laughed that was so different like everything else about him, the way his fiery soul pulled the waves in mine impossibly closer to him. And I hope, after all this time, my own soul rose the tides between us and maybe he would think that a girlfriend, however predictable or whatever she may be, really wasn't terrible at all.

And I stood up half of the night wondering what those labels even meant and if they would change anything at all. I finally decided that they would because it was an answer that didn't make me dizzy. It was an answer that consisted of more than a single word and took more than only four letters to spell and didn't tangle my stomach in knots or curl my ribs in so I couldn't breathe.

*

"You should ask him to come sit with us at lunch!" Violet sprang off yet another plan to morph Zain into our friend group.

"Why?" I asked sarcastically, not giving her a real reply because I knew it would annoy her. I realized that was such a Zain thing to do and I rolled my eyes at myself.

"C'mon there's always one seat open and you never sit with us anymore and," she paused trying to come up with something more convincing, "and I miss you."

"Violet, we have calc everyday and we work together," I shook my head and kept walking to the cafeteria.

"I won't be embarrassing, I promise," she shook my arm, "please."

I laughed, "This is the same girl that hated his guts when she found out we kissed."

"Hey," she pointed her finger in my face, "there was a lot more to it than kissing, and I don't just mean sexually."

"You are not helping your case here lady," I started walking faster.

"Okay, okay, sorry," she reached for my hand and we both started laughing.

We made it to the cafeteria and Zain was already at his table by the window. Violet pleaded with her eyes and gently tugged my arm in the direction of our table.

"God, fine, I'll ask him," I groaned and walked away before she could squeeze me in one of her self-victory hugs.

I turned from her to go ask Zain, thinking of how I really need to stop being such a pushover all of the time. I paused in front of him when I saw that not only was he wearing a sweatshirt, but the hood was over his head.

I cleared my throat, "Are you hiding from something?"

He looked up and scowled slightly at me, "Well I put this on 'cause its getting warmer out and allergies and shit and I feel all sick."

I nodded, trying not to smile, "Understandable."

He narrowed his eyes, "Then our friend Robin, you know the waiter, got fucking transferred into my English class," my hand flew to my mouth to keep from laughing, "I didn't even fuckin' know that bloke went here."

He folded his arms and plopped his scruffy chin down on them. It always made me laugh at how his accent got thicker whenever he was really mad or excited about something.

"I'm so sorry," I choked out over the laughter trying to force it's way out of me.

"Yeah so I put the hood on so he wouldn't recognize me," he mumbled into the fabric of his soft, grey hoodie.

I was surprised at how attractive he looked in the sweatshirt. Usually I thought sweatshirts and sweatpants made people look lazy or sloppy but Zain made a sweatshirt look like an expensive tuxedo. Maybe it was because I'd never seen him so casual and it was just the big contrast. Or maybe I should stop lying to myself and it was because Zain was attractive and makes everything look better than it should and that I sort've like him.

"You gonna sit?" His question was muffled by the sweatshirt.

"Actually," my face started to redden, "Violet wanted me to invite you to our table."

He looked up, slightly confused, "Why?"

I shrugged, "She misses me?"

He stared out of the window for a minute. I was about to tell him he didn't have to if he didn't want but he beat me to it.

"Fine," he slowly got up and grabbed his batman lunchbox, "but if the twinkle twins, or Sienna annoy me in the slightest-"

"You'll use your ghost powers on them?" I bit my lip.

He groaned, "I need a cig."

I giggled as we started walking, "Do you like any of my friends?"

He shrugged, "Lucky s'cool. I don't not like them. Just don't know them well. Sienna really does annoy me though. She brings you up every second she gets in class and she's rotten at Chemistry."

I nodded, "Fair enough. I didn't like Sienna when I first met her either."

He smirked, "I take it Violet has warmed up to me since she was the one that invited me."

"Yeah I don't really know what that is about," I mentioned as we got to the table.

Monte looked like a deer in headlights, Lucky and Louis were talking about Greek Gods, Liam stuck half of his sandwich in his mouth at once and Sienna and Violet looked way too happy. My face started to blush again and I could feel Zain's uncomfortableness radiating towards me.

"Hey guys, mind if we sit down?" I asked retorhically as Zain and I took our seats.

The misfits table was full for the first time ever and it felt as if the world was rotating in the opposite direction now. Zain just sat there for a minute before he set his lunchbox down.

"Dude, love the silver hair," Lucky mentioned when he was finished talking to Louis, "I tried grey once but I looked-"

"Horrendous," Violet finished for him.

Lucky wrapped his arm around her neck and kissed the top of her head, making sure to mess up her hair, "Thanks sweetie pie."

Zain let out a small laugh at them, "Thanks mate."

Zain took a bite of his sandwich and I noticed Monte was still staring at him, "I love batman."

He looked up at Monte, who immediately turned red, "Uh, yeah same," he pointed to his lunchbox, seeming like he didn't know what else to say.

Maybe it was just me, but I think Monte had a little bit of a crush on Zain.

"Guys, there's this open mic night the Charlotte booster club is having next week and Monte and I were gonna play so you should come support please," Louis winked and then smiled nervously, probably because he never winked.

"Hell yeah we'll be there," I smiled widely at them, "that's so great you guys."

Monte beamed, "Thank you Luna. We have been practicing very hard. We are going to sing Like Real People Do."

"By Hozier," Violet sighed, "I love that song."

"That's a good choice," Zain surprised me by agreeing, "if you've never heard of Rusty Clanton I suggest looking him up 'cause I think you two could sing his stuff."

Monte looked as if he was going to melt into a puddle on the ground.

Luckily Louis answered for him, "Thanks Zain, we will."

Lunch went on pretty normally which weirded me out but I guess it was a good thing. Violet didn't even burst once about Zain and I. And it was equally as shocking how Zain just acted as if he had always sat with us.

The bell rang in the middle of Zain and Liam's discussion of Nirvana records and Violet smirked at me as I walked out of the cafeteria with him. She was probably going to talk my ear off at work but I would take that over her sexual innuendos any day.

"Does Monte secretly hate me?" Zain asked as we walked.

I snorted, "No, Monte doesn't hate anyone. Why?"

He shrugged, "Dunno, he kept staring all lunch."

I let out a nervous laugh, "Oh, that's because he sort of... you know..."

"What?"

"Thinks you're very pretty," I bit my lip to keep from smiling.

Zain's cheeks turned a rosy pink and I think that was the second time I'd ever seen him blush, "Oh."

"Yeah," I smiled, "but it's harmless. The boy is kinda irrevocably in love with someone else."

He nodded, "As long as you're sure. Wouldn't want you getting jealous or anything."

"Shut up Zain."

He laughed his weird laugh, "Hey, that's my line."

I gave his hip a shove with my own, "See you in art."

"'Til then, Princess Yue," he smirked and threw on his hood before walking away.

The rest of the day passed on kind of slowly and I tried to focus, I really did, but all I could think about were stuffy-nose British accents and soft grey hoodies. I caught myself fast walking to the art room and told myself to chill but it was like my body was against me for some reason. As it usually was because I wasn't exactly known for my grace and ability to not trip over everything. It seemed- as the semester went on- that school was just tired, lunch, tired, art. Or that's all I got from it at least; nothing else really mattered to me. I hadn't given a lot of thought to what I wanted to do after high school but I knew it wouldn't require Calculus, AP Physics, or AP U.S. History. I shoved the growing tingles of stress in a pocket labeled future and walked into my favorite room in all of the rooms at Charlotte High.

There were students throwing on potter's wheels, some painting on canvases, others drawing with pastels and a few were furiously sketching on plain old paper. Most of the time I was among the sketchers but today I only had one kind of artist in mind. He really was one of a kind because literally no one else in this class was skilled in the art of spray painting. I still had yet to actually see anything he's ever spray painted but I would assume he was skilled for being in this class.

Upon opening the art supply closet door I saw a grey hooded figure hunched over the small desk near the back. Usually he was on his stool with a canvas spray painting towards the door so that if I came in I couldn't see. I walked over to him quietly and saw that he was writing in his sketchbook. The script was small and disorganized, though his penmanship was sort of pretty (despite all the slashing, erasing, and rewriting).

"Am I in the wrong class? I could've sworn this was art," I joked and squinted to try to see what he was writing.

"Still is art," he mumbled and turned a little away so I couldn't see.

"Looks like English to me," I got on my tip toes.

He closed his sketchbook and turned around to smirk at me, "It's both."

I narrowed my eyes, "How so?"

"Poetry Luna, if you must know," he answered after a while.

"For a class or just because?" I wondered.

"English," I smirked, "but I'm actually putting effort in for my own benefit," he added.

"Oh?" was all I said but I had about a million other things I wanted to ask.

"You'll see," he waved my curiosity away.

"Yeah, just like I'll see your spray painting," I mentioned sarcastically.

He laughed, "Yeah, pretty much."

"I thought artists were supposed to share and display their art. Like sending their message to the world. Like the whole point of art being a creative outlet. Emphasis on out," I rambled on mostly because I was tired of never seeing anything Zain made.

He smirked, "Maybe that's what makes me different. Art is my inlet."

"And sarcasm slash annoyance is your outlet," I added.

He lit a cigarette and blew a puff of smoke at me, "More or less."

Joke was on him though. I liked the smell of his damn smoke. Regrettably. I took an exaggerated breath in just to prove my point and he shook his head at me.

"Are you busy Friday night?" he asked after he had taken a few hits from his cigarette.

"Are you?" I countered.

"Kind of," he smirked, "it depends."

"On what?" I raised a brow.

Another puff of smoke in my face, "If you're up for a little party."

I paused. A party wasn't exactly the first item on the list of things I thought he was going to say. I mulled it over for a minute. It wasn't like I had never been to one. I knew there was alcohol and weed and sex and loud music. It didn't bother me and I wasn't against them, my friends and I were just always doing other things. Violet has asked multiple times for me to throw one at my huge house but I just always told her no. I had never gotten drunk before, though, and the idea sounded mildly appealing.

"Sure," I nodded my head.

Zain looked surprised, "Really?"

I shrugged, "Yeah. Who's is it?"

"Makaio Chay," Zain looked as if he was questioning whether he said the name right, "he just moved from Hawaii and I guess this is his way of making friends. He was pretty cool when we were chattin' so I thought it wouldn't hurt to go."

I nodded in agreement. I wasn't against meeting new people or making new friends or anything. I just knew that the small amount that accepted and loved me were enough. But, like in many other aspects, Zain was starting to rub off on me. And yeah it probably wouldn't hurt to go.

We sat there quietly in the closet for the rest of the period. It wasn't as weird as it sounded because Zain was busy writing his poetry and I was busy sketching him writing poetry. Neither of us would show the other what we were doing and so maybe that meant something. How strange would it be for that girl to draw about that boy and that boy to write about that girl without the other knowing? I decided that was the way it was with people in general and I wish we lived in a world where people weren't afraid to admit their muse. There would be a lot more people in love, I thought. Not that I was anyway.

As I turned to leave once the bell rang Zain caught me by surprise when he wrapped his arms tight around my waist. I stood there frozen for a minute, not really knowing how to react since Zain had hugged me a total of maybe two times. I slowly brought my own arms around him.

But I should've known better. Not even a minute into the hug and Zain was sneezing all over me.

"I hate you," I groaned and pushed him off of me.

His weird laugh flowed from his mouth in a more nasalish way than usual, "You'll still go, won't you?"

"I don't know now," I smirked even though he was walking a ways behind me.

"Luna!" He whined and I just laughed.

"Shouldn't've sneezed on me!" I yelled.

"I'm not even contagious!" He argued.

I kept laughing as he got further behind me in the swarm of people leaving to go to their cars. And well it was true, allergies weren't contagious, but he still was.

*

All week.

All week I had been absolutely and completely nervous.

Violet said that she thinks I might unravel before I make it to the party. And really, I thought that might actually be a true prediction. I wasn't really nervous about going to a party. I was nervous because I hadn't been to one in a while and that I was going with Zain. I had to agree with Violet again when she said I might die if I was ever in a relationship with Zain. It was true if I was going to get this nervous every time he asked me out.

It was a wonder how I made it through the school week when the thought of just picking out an outfit made my hands sweat. The dream team of Violet and Monte were in my room again helping me get ready because I could barely function on my own. They dressed me in a fitted, black, spaghetti strap crop top (to reduce any signs of sweat they informed me), a dark grey high waisted skater skirt (because shorts would get too hot), and my stan smith adidas (since heels would kill my feet). I thought I looked slutty and mismatched but both Violet and Monte disagreed so I had no choice but to wear it. I did my hair normally and Violet was in charge of my makeup. She didn't put on a lot since she claimed I'll "sweat it off anyway" but I was more than content with the highlighting she did. Monte said the highlight made me look like a shimmery snowflake which made me blush and then he edited his compliment to a shimmery cherry. I guess that was still a compliment.

The doorbell rang as I was grabbing my purse and just as I was about to close my bedroom door I caught a glimpse of Monte and Violet climbing in my bed and turning on my TV. I rolled my eyes and walked down the hall. Bunch of gold diggers, I jokingly thought to myself.

But the joke, along with every other thought in my head evaporated as I descended the grand marble staircase. It seemed a little too big and I felt a little too small as I stepped and I really hoped that wasn't a sign of passing out. I gripped the cold metal knob and swung the front door open before my shaking hand could decide otherwise. Zain's back was to me but I could still appreciate his simple black t-shirt and ripped black jeans. It was different than when we went to dinner- more normal- and that made me feel a lot better. My eyes trailed from his scuffed up white converse to the smoke blowing from his mouth when he turned around.

"Ready-"

"I'll take that," I plucked the cigarette from his mouth and put it into mine as I walked past him.

I heard his quick feet behind me and gasped when he wrapped his arms around me to retrieve the stolen cigarette. With one arm still tightly around both of mine so that I couldn't move, he carefully took the cigarette from my lips and blew smoke down my neck.

"If you keep leachin' off of me I'm gonna make you pay for 'em," his breath was a hot mixture of smoke and spearmint.

I smirked, "Done."

He laughed and let go of me so that he could put his spare helmet on my head. I felt weird as he clipped the buckle under my chin, cigarette hanging loosely from his lips. Like I was chasing after him instead of the other way around. Not in the romantic sense but before it had always been him who sought me out, mostly just to annoy me. Now it felt like he had me where he wanted me the whole time. But the weird part about it was that I felt comforted. Like he had this protective force over me for some reason. Again, it wasn't in the romantic sense per say, and the overwhelming moment was fleeting, but my trust in Zain had never been more and I, in a word, I felt safe.

My hands clung to Zain's shirt slightly tighter than usual but it wasn't out of fear or nerves. The familiar scent of smoke and cologne mixed with the heat beneath his normal shirt added to that safeness and I just wanted to soak it up before or if it went away. But I had a feeling it never would.

The drive to Makaio's house was unfamiliar and short which I was glad for because it gave me less time for nerves to build up. Zain had to park up the street since there were cars piled outside of the house. It was a decent size; about the same as Lucky's which could hold him, Monte and all of his sisters. It was a pale yellow color with white trim and had palm trees on either side like the rest of the houses did on this street. Zain and I walked close to each other along the sidewalk to the threshold. The heat that radiated from him ignited a flame at my fingertips where I was closest to him; my hand was almost touching his. I wasn't sure how this night was going to go but I knew by the end I wouldn't be afraid to hold it.

Zain rang the door bell and after a few loud thumps interrupting the music inside, the door opened to a boy not much taller than Zain. His skin was a gorgeous golden brown that melted into dark wild waves on top of his head. His deep brown eyes sparkled as he recognized Zain.

"Hey you made it!" His bright smile contrasted beautifully against his skin.

"Said I would," Zain replied smoothly, "and this is Luna."

"Makaio," he put his palm to his stomach before extending it to me, "lovely to meet you."

I blushed as he took my hand and I jumped at how cold it was.

Makaio laughed and the sound was like blue skies and youth in a bottle, "Sorry, I've been holding a cold drink. Would you two care for some?"

I smiled and nodded before following Makaio into the house. Making sure to stay close to Zain, we fought through the already crowded halls to get to the kitchen. It felt like I was in some type of alternate universe and this was something that happened all of the time. The raw energy buzzing in the air around me clung to my skin and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel well, hot. I wasn't really here to impress anyone but it was a nice confidence boost.

"Make yourselves at home," Makaio flashed another smile and gestured to the countertop full of alcohol.

Just then the doorbell rang, "Excuse me," Makaio told us politely.

Zain scratched his neck as Makaio went to answer the door and I stood there without a clue what to do. There was a ridiculous amount of alcohol at our disposal for a bunch of high schoolers. I was bound to end up drinking something at some point I just didn't know if I should start now. On one hand my nerves would decrease significantly. On the other hand I had never been drunk before. Yes I took a sip of wine at all of my father's fancy dinner parties when I was younger. And yes I had a few glasses of champagne in Paris. But I had barely been buzzed, let alone drunk.

"Ladies first," I nudged Zain's side and kept staring at the intimidating amount of alcohol.

"Right," Zain smirked and went behind the counter, "what'll it be Miss Estelle?"

I groaned knowing he was going to spin this on me, "Something that won't make me vomit," I shrugged.

His smirk deepened as he picked up a small can of Budlight, "Here you are."

I gave him a look, "That's basically water."

His eyes were pleading but his smirk remained, "To start off with."

There was something in his voice that I didn't recognize but I could hear the same sense of safeness I felt earlier so I decided I wouldn't argue. His eyes remained on me while I took the can from his hands and popped it open. The beer was weak and bubbly at once in my mouth and it was a taste I couldn't really describe but it wasn't exactly good. I guess if I didn't want to vomit though this was the price I had to pay.

"This is so gross," I laughed, almost choking on the carbonated poison.

He laughed and I noticed his tongue pressed up against his teeth. It did that every time he laughed but for some reason I was especially drawn to it, "Just chug it all at once."

I lifted the can to my lips to do just that but with my lack of alcoholic experience and competitive drive I just ended up taking a few big gulps and lowered the can again. He smiled and shook his head, not really looking surprised because honestly we both knew I couldn't chug. I was in the middle of trying to down another few gulps when a girl with silky light brown hair down to her ass came up to me.

"I love your hair," she slurred and squinted really hard at me, "have we met before?"

I looked her up and down. She didn't seem familiar but I was sure she went to Charlotte High other wise she wouldn't have been invited. I never paid much attention to the washed up beach kids of the school, though I wasn't against them like I had been before, thanks to Sienna.

"Maybe," I answered and smiled at her before taking another drink.

She quickly lost interest in me and turned to Zain, "Who's your friend?"

Her pupils dilated at the sight of him and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. I looked at Zain expecting to see him checking the girl out but he was just watching me.

"Go talk to him, I think he likes you," I grinned devilishly as I set her up to make a fool of herself.

Zain shot a murderous glare over to me as the tipsy girl tipsied right onto him and I just smiled as I went to wonder. I don't really know why I was wondering since I only really knew two people at this party. My body just didn't want to stand still anymore so I started walking. There was an abrupt burn that bubbled at the bottom of my stomach so I just took another drink of my beer thinking that it would make the burning go away. Not ten minutes later I was at a completely different side of the house and my thighs and hands felt almost weightless. I wondered if the light in Budlight made you feel light and then I thought that was silly because you couldn't drink actual light.

"Makaio!" My voice seemed louder than usual and I wondered to myself why I was yelling.

He looked over at me from a few feet away and smiled brightly, "Enjoying yourself?"

I held up my empty can, "Very much so."

He took the can gently away from me and I was about to protest when he said, "Want another?"

I grinned and nodded vigorously. I took note of the small laugh lines at the corners of his deep red lips when he smiled. They were nice to look at, like the rest of him and found myself leaning into him.

He laughed and pecked my cheek, "I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere, okay?"

I blushed violently and nodded, more than determined to stay exactly where I was so he could find me again. It was a big house and he could get lost so I was making it easier for him. I don't know how long I stood there but I felt myself swaying a bit to the music but also because I was having trouble standing still. Makaio came back to give me another Budlight and then disappeared when someone called his name.

I had about a quarter of a can left when Zain appeared out of nowhere, seeming a bit stressed. My heart fluttered at the sight of him and I had never felt happier to see someone in my life.

"Zain!" A weird squeal pitch came out of my mouth and I threw my arms around his neck. His chest was cool and smelled like smoke which felt good against my flushed cheeks. He must have been outside.

"How much have you had to drink Luna?" his voice seemed amused but I ignored it and pressed myself closer to him. He smelled so good and pushing all of my weight on him felt like a relief.

I downed the last of the can, "Just two," and a trail of giggles followed.

I heard him sigh above me, "So you're like ten pounds and you've had two beers already. How often have you had a drink did you say?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together in deep thought, "Like once and a half."

"Perfect," he laughed, "you're probably the biggest lightweight I've met or like ever in history."

"Hit me, I wanna feel good," I drew the word out and it turned into more giggles. I was pretty sure that was a quote from a movie but I didn't care enough to figure out which one.

He sighed again, "I don't think you need anymore Luna."

I shoved him back, "No fair, yes I do! I'm not even drunk! Look I can walk in a straight line."

I proceeded to step away from him to prove that I could. I only fell a little bit at the end.

He shook his head and laughed, "Luna, you don't need anymore."

"You're just too sober. Those sober people were telling me I'm drunk but I'm not. Just one more, please," I begged.

He brought me to him like before and sighed yet again, "Luna, you've had enough for now."

I looked up at him, feeling like I was about to cry, "Please Zain, just one more. I'll share some with you."

His eyes flashed again like they had before only I was feeling too good to acknowledge it, "No I don't-"

"Please Zain, drink with me," I pleaded and started pressing kisses against his neck.

His groan rumbled in his chest and I smiled knowing that I was going to get my way. I wondered for a small second why I had just kissed Zain in front of all of these people but the thought was forgotten when he started taking me to the kitchen. This time, instead of getting me another beer, Zain took a red solo cup from the stack and started mixing things.

He handed the drink to me and I hesitated, "Drink this and you won't even need another few beers."

I raised a brow, the burning in my stomach started to feel overwhelming, "Where's yours?"

He looked down for a second before he answered, "I uh- someone's got to drive you home safe. I'm fine, trust me."

I pouted, "You take the first drink, I'm scared."

He grinned and pushed the cup back to me, "Just drink it all in one go and be done with it."

The sound of pounding music and crowds of loud people swarmed around me in a colorful blur and every fiber in my body was telling me to do exactly what Zain said. I picked the cup up and, much like the beer chugging, I only got a few gulps down.

"Ew," My face scrunched at the taste, "this is disgusting."

Zain laughed at me, "Luna, you're not athletic or run much do you?"

I frowned and looked down at my tummy, "I'm not that fat."

"No- no," he laughed, "I just mean if you were you would've finished that already. Like motivation and just that mentality."

I drank the rest of the cup's contents after he said that and slammed it on the counter. He was right, I was no athlete, but I was still proud of myself for finishing something so vile tasting. A massive burning wave rose up in my stomach. It was much faster and stronger than the burning sensation I had from the two beers. I looked up at Zain and he seemed to sparkle under the fluorescent kitchen light. I turned to face the dark sea of people dancing to the liquid black music.

I turned back around and took Zain's hand, "Dance with me."

His eyes bored into my own and for once I wasn't scared to keep looking back at them. The energy that usually had me blushing and looking away was making my limbs hollow and I felt like I could have anything in the world that I wanted.

I pulled his hand to my chest and backed us into the crowd of sweaty bodies. I held on lightly to the tips of his fingers as I started dancing to the song. The music flowed into my hollowed out limbs and it moved me until everything was fluid and connected. My eyes were closed and my hands were free and I felt like I was the music. Slowly I felt Zain's rough palms clasp against my own and my back was brought flush to his chest.

The music faded into low bass and sharp patterned raps that flooded the room with a dark purple fog of sound. This new energy soaked into every pore of my skin and made my body feel heavy and liquid at the same time. I couldn't even tell what the song was saying but it made me want to climb onto Zain's motorbike and do every last thing I wasn't supposed to. The feeling was overwhelming and soon my body had a mind of its own.

I pressed up against Zain and his hands slid down from my hips in response. I smiled and bit my lip at the sensation. Everywhere Zain touched left a searing hot mark of pure energy. His breath was cool against my neck and our proximity had my heart pumping with impossible speed. It wasn't just the alcohol, or the music, or the dark room, or the other people dancing around us. No, this blinding adrenaline or energy or whatever it was, was because of Zain. His hands, his scent, the way his body melted into mine. He was right about not needing another drink after the one he gave me. He was enough to keep me drunk for the rest of the night.

We were interrupted by a timid tap on my arm. I slowly came back to my senses and focused with everything inside me on the person who tapped me.

"Sorry for um... interrupting your- you I um- Luna, right?"

The voice was so familiar to me and I could just barely make out his tall silhouette, "Robin? From Trabue?"

His smile was bright in the darkness, "Yeah, hey. And um Danny," he shifted uncomfortably like he was regretting coming over here.

Bubbling laughter floated from
my mouth, "God sorry. This is Zain. He's not a cartoon! He's one hundred percent British," I tapped my hand against Zain's beard and wasn't even surprised at the words coming out of me at this point.

"Zain," Robin laughed, "nice to meet you. And I'm happy to hear you're not crazy."

Zain was giving me a look, "Yeah thanks for setting things straight Lune."

"Well, I'll see you around," Robin smiled and turned to leave politely, probably aware he was interrupting.

I instantly wrapped my arms around Zain's neck and started dancing again. Flames burst along my ribs, hips and lower as Zain's hands traveled. My pupils felt completely dilated as I watched Zain's teeth sink into the soft flesh of his lips and I started thinking about how much I wanted that to be my teeth.

"Do you want to go somewhere with me?" Zain's voice was a smooth, gravelly mess in my ear.

Giggles parted my lips for the thousandth time that night, "Yes daddy, I do."

His laugh was quick, "Jesus Luna."

"I never been drunk before. I'm sorry," I apologized and rested my cheek on his shoulder, along
with all of my weight.

His smile could be heard when he talked, "It's okay. C'mon with me."

Zain slid his fingers down my arm until they were holding my hand gently. He took me upstairs carefully and held his other hand against the small of my back to keep me steady. We stopped at a room near the end of the hall and went inside, the loud music and people were instantly muted once the door was shut. I caught sight of a bed and sat down on it right away. I felt all floppy when I did and I wanted to just fall all over the bed again and again. I heard Zain take a deep breath and he looked a lot more calm when he sat down beside me.

Without words he pulled me into his lap and I began to kiss him like it was a natural instinct of mine. His rough palms held my face on either side and the familiar burn of his touch heated my cheeks as if they weren't hot enough from blushing already. He moved his thumbs back and forth, soothing all of the wild energy inside of me. The energy was still there, it had just transformed into something deeper. He had never touched me so tenderly and I wondered if he would become more so each time we kissed from then on.

I pressed my hands softly against his shoulders until he was laying down and I pressed myself close to him, meeting his neck with a trail of kisses. His arms moved to tighten around me and I could feel his heartbeat quicken in his firm, heated chest. I kissed his neck until I was satisfied with the raspberry love bite I left. I went to kiss another one on the other side, knowing this drove Zain absolutely crazy.

His hands found the swell of my backside again, "Are you just using me?"

I don't know what possessed me to ask, especially since I liked when Zain touched me and at that moment I didn't feel used at all. It was strange that I even asked at all, not to mention horrible timing.

He stopped and sat up, squinting into the dark looking confused, "What? No I would- Luna no that's not at all in my mind ever. I'm sorry I didn't- shit no I could never do that to you."

I didn't say anything in response because I was still confused why I asked in the first place but I liked knowing that he never would. Zain clasped his hands around my back and pressed a kiss to my
forehead before gently setting me beside him. He got up and walked across the room like he was looking for something. I positioned myself on my stomach and kicked my feet back and forth as I messed with things on the bedside table. Accidentally I switched on a lamp and smiled at the bright colors that turned the room into a rainbow sea. Zain's face turned slowly from blue to purple to red as he came to sit on the carpet in front of me. He had a ukulele similar to Monte's in his hand and plucked the strings, trying to tune it.

"Where did the small thingy come from?" My brain and my mouth seemed disconnected because I knew it was a ukulele yet I said small thingy.

"I went exploring around the house 'cause it was getting loud and I couldn't find you. It's no guitar but Makaio does have quality taste. Quite stereotypical actually that he has a ukulele," Zain rambled on, stopping himself because he thought I was too drunk to have any type of attention span.

"Can you play?" I wondered, squishing my cheeks in the palm of my hands.

"Yeah," Zain smirked then turned serious again, "write music sometimes as well."

"You could be famous!" I yelled excitedly. I really was loud.

Zain laughed, "Not with my shit lyrics."

"Don't say that," my voice was dramatic but I was trying to be sincere, "I bet they're beautiful, you have to believe in yourself!"

He chuckled lowly, "Thanks for the pep talk Luna."

He seemed so different with me then. Like he could say anything and be completely himself because he thought I wouldn't remember it the next morning. I may have been really drunk but I could never forget the words from someone like him.

"Zain?" I made an effort to lower my voice.

His yellow to green to blue eyes sparkled when he looked up at me, "Yeah?"

I smiled widely at him by force of the feelings that erupted inside me every time his eyes met mine, "Will you sing me your songs?"

His fingers kept shifting on the strings of the ukulele, "Luna... my songs are no good."

I pouted, "But they are! I know they are! You're not being fair, I want to listen."

I could see Zain fighting his smile. I hated the way my body kept not listening to my brain. I was so loud and whiny.

"I guess this one is somewhat decent. Remember that poem I was writing for English?" He was talking to me but he seemed like he was in a completely different place.

"Yes the poetry art," I replied.

He huffed out a laugh at my currently poor vocabulary, "I fucked around with some chords and such and made a song out of that."

"I wanna hear! Please, I will never ask again, please," I begged.

The corner of his mouth lifted a bit in yellow and green again but mostly his blue face turned somber. His fingers found their positions on the strings and he began to strum the small instrument softly.

Don't look around 'cause love is blind and darling right now I can't see you

His voice alone mesmerized me and I stood absolutely still while he sang for I had never heard such beautiful, frail words spill from his lips.

I'm feelin' proud so without a doubt I can feel you

He was looking off to some place I couldn't see and it was like he became his emotions.

'Cause we are who we are when no one's watching, and right from the start you know I gotchya

I hung on to every note that he sang and my chest began to throb at the sorrowful melodies that floated from his mouth like liquid gold.

I won't mind, even though I know you'll never be mine

And I started to pay closer attention to his lyrics, wondering if he really had been writing about me while I was drawing him.

We messed around until we found the one thing we said we could never ever.

And I began to wonder if the song wasn't about me at all.

I'm not allowed to talk about it but I gotta tell ya...

And then I felt like I was going to be sick.

"Take me home," I interrupted him, not being able to ignore the nausea in my stomach any longer.

"It's not even eleven yet," Zain seemed confused.

"I wanna go home," My voice quivered and tears welled up in my eyes easily.

"Luna, don't be like that. Was it too sad or something?" He was probably wracking his brain for an answer.

"Take me home please, I don't want to be here," tears were streaming now and my voice was thick with threatening sobs, "not with her."

"Her? There's just you, you're the only her in here," Zain's voice was desperate as he held me steady by my arms.

I shook my head in defeat just letting the tears fall and my body shook. I gave up trying to control my own movements and words and I didn't really know why I was so upset. I quickly blamed it on the alcohol. Maybe the sickness in my stomach that I felt was alcohol poisoning. Though, I knew why I was upset, but it shouldn't have affected me.

Because while I was drawing the boy with silvery hair and golden eyes, he wasn't writing about me. He was writing about her.

AN

look @ this 7849 word monster. I hope whoever may be reading enjoyed this ch & I hope u keep reading :-) oh & Robin is played by this QT on insta and Makaio (muh-kye-oh) is played by the guy who played Seth Clearwater in Twilight so imagine him like that (w short hair) just tanner and the hair is curly :-) also Luna's drunk state was written from my own experience bc I always laugh at the silly way drunk characters are portrayed in fics all of the time so if she doesn't seem crazy or stereotypically drunk it's bc I was being realistic. that's all ok bye <3

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

736 22 18
Cassie Carroll is a normal girl who moved to London recently. She finds someone who she was treated horribly by, but he's famous. She finds a way to...
7K 78 26
Just a normal girl who lives in London with her friends. She is a very good student that is given an amazing opportunity. An opportunity that changed...
2.7K 151 25
ser·en·dip·i·ty\ˌser-ən-ˈdi-pə-tē\ noun : luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for.
3.4K 33 15
When her parents were killed in a tragic car accident, 16 year old Aria and 8 year old brother Thomas were forced to live with their grandparents in...