Wounded: Our Journey Home

By misshijabi3

(Book 1) Completed: February 13th 2016 Highest rank: #05 on the what's hot list 12/1/15 Tuesday Reached 100k... More

Wounded
Prologue
Wounded- Chapter One
Wounded- Chapter Two
Wounded- Chapter Three
Wounded- Chapter Four
Wounded- Chapter Five
Wounded- Chapter Six
EID MUBARAK!!! (Eid-ul-Fitr)
Wounded- Chapter Seven
Wounded- Chapter Eight
Wounded- Chapter Nine
Wounded- Chapter Ten
Wounded- Chapter Eleven
Wounded- Chapter Twelve
Wounded- Chapter Thirteen
Wounded- Chapter Fourteen
Wounded- Chapter Fifteen
Wounded- Chapter Sixteen
Wounded- Chapter Seventeen
Wounded- Chapter Eighteen
EID MUBARAK!!!(Eid-ul-Adha)
Wounded- Chapter Nineteen
Wounded- Chapter Twenty
Wounded- Chapter Twenty One
Characters
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Two
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Three
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Four
Authors note
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Five
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Six
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Seven
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Twenty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Thirty
Wounded- Chapter Thirty One
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Two
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Three
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Four
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Five
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Six
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Seven
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Eight
Wounded- Chapter Thirty Nine
Wounded- Chapter Forty
Authors note (important...)
Wounded- Chapter Forty One
Wounded- Chapter Forty Two
Wounded- Chapter Forty Three
Wounded- Chapter Forty Five
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter + Mothers day
I'm leaving... Wattpad!
Good news!
SafiyahGraphics
Sequel: Collided

Wounded- Chapter Forty Four

3K 186 33
By misshijabi3

Edited:

I'm back! It's been way too long since I've written on this story, and I may be a little rusty. But, nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

Published: Friday, Febuary 5th 2016, 5:21 pm

Ayah:

          I opened the door outside to reveal Jafar skipping rocks in the street with a couple of kids no older than Mina. The sight of them laughing and playing around warmed my heart, especially since the past few months have made it hard for Jafar to let his lips curve upwards. Even when I asked him about it, he frowned more.

          "Smiling is sunnah and a sign of happiness, but it's just not an option for me right now. Maybe someday."

          That answer saddened me down to my core, because we've both been through a lot, but he's had to deal with it all. He deserves to smile. Seeing me sat down on the porch watching him, he handed the little boy the rock and joined me.

          "Everything okay in there?"

         "Mhm," I nodded with a smile, my eyes still on the playing children. They look so happy and content with life, like they haven't experienced the obstacles of growing up. I only wish our child feels the same. A little while later I stopped my observation to look towards Jafar, who was staring intently down at his phone. "Is everything okay?"

          "I hope so," Is all he said as he put his phone back in his pocket. I didn't get to press the subject, because by that time, Jamila came out.
-*-

          I took the glass of juice Annie extended to me and brought it to my lips to drink. She did the same to Jamila and sat down slowly and let out a breath as she smiled at us weakly. Since we arrived, I've noticed how calm she is and how tired she looks. I know it's not from working because Safeer already stated that he doesn't let his wife do anything anymore besides rest, something both he and Jafar have in common. I can even tell by the way he was helping her that something was wrong, I guess it's a motherly instinct. I just hope I'm wrong.

          "It's been too long since you've visited. How are things?"

          "Everything's good," I assured her, looking around her home admirably. Ever since the first time I came here, I've liked the setup and the colors of their home. "What about you," I turned back to see her trying to keep her head up. She looks exhausted. "Are you okay?"

          She lifted her head up and offered me a weak nod. "Yeah. I'm just tired."

         I exchanged a worried glance with Jamila to see she wasn't buying that Annie was okay either.

          "I hope my cousin isn't working you too hard."

         "He's actually been the one making me rest. When he leaves for work, I don't have anything to do but listen to my brother and sisters problems. Troubles of being the oldest."

        "I wish I knew what you meant," I said softly, and she looked up and nodded in agreement. Growing up was okay with just Mama and I, but like any other only child, I've always wanted a sibling. I guess that's why Jamila and I are so close. She is the younger sister I didn't get until later on in life. "But I do know about being forced to rest. Jafar hates it when I try to do anything close to strenuous. But I've never heard you talk about your family. How are they?"

         From the corner of my eyes I saw Jamila shift in her seat, waiting for whatever Annie was about to tell us.

        "We're like any other family," She shrugged, smiling in amusement in Jamila's direction. "In fact, my little brother is single."

        "Oh," Jamila said shakily, turning to stare at me in horror as Annie picked up her phone from an incoming call. As she walked out of the room to continue talking to her mother, Jamila mover closer to me. "What just happened?"

        "I think she wants you to marry her brother," I said in amusement, but that was the last emotion on her face. I could see why; the guy who was supposed to marry your friend is now being mentioned to you in the home of the sister you're trying to pry answers from about the said guy. Plot. Twist.

          "You know her better than I do," Jamila whispered, looking around the corner to see if she came back, then turned to me with raised eyebrows. "Is she serious?"

          "I don't know her that well."

          "Better than I do," She mumbled, going back to her search and I turned to my bag where my phone buzzed.

          Jafar: Are you okay?

         Ever since I told him I felt nauseous in the car he's been checking up on me, even though he's in the next room. I do admit that it's just a minor pregnancy symptom, but I do admit to having a headache.

         Ayah: I'm fine. Enjoy guy time and stop worrying about me.

         "'My brother?"

         I nodded without looking at Jamila and put my phone away at the sound of Annie entering the room again.

          "My family is on their way for dinner. Now where we were," She tapped her chin in thought, then looked at Jamila and the chair she was just occupying suspiciously. "Weren't you just over," She pointed to the chair. "there?"

           "I was just getting something from my sister."

           "Okay. How old are you, Jamila?"

            Jamila's face visibly paled at the question, but Annie was unfazed.

            "Seventeen."

            "Saeed is twenty. Any life goals?"

           "Uh," Jamila looked to me for help, but I just shrugged for her to answer. "To experience it."

           "Mm," Annie looked down to something in her hand before turning back to Jamila. "What about marriage? Ever think about settling down?"

           I looked over to Jamila for that answer and saw something flash in her eyes before leaving as soon as it appeared.

           "Not anymore."

-*-
           Ever since the whole interrogation thing with Annie, Jamila had been trying to avoid anyone from her family, which is hard considering they're all around us. Her mother is on the couch having a conversation with me, her niece Khalila, and Annie. Kareema is watching the food in the kitchen with one of her cousins, and the kids are outside playing. Somehow she found a seat squished up beside me away from any and everyone. They all just continued like she wasn't there, that was until Annie's mother spotted Jamila and set her eyes on her, studying her.

           "I see you have a shy sister."

            I cleared my throat and nodded when Jamila poked my side for me to give an answer.

           "She's just tired."

           "Nonsense," She exclaimed, and Jamila put on a tight lipped smile. "Kareema? Come here!"

          A few seconds later Kareema came into the room and stood in front of her mother.

         "Yes?"

         "I need you to show around our guest."

         "Who?"

         "Who?" Her mother repeated with a shake of her head and pointed to Jamila. "You know Jamila, right? Bring her with you and Sanam."

          "I'm fine with staying here..." Jamila began to protest, but she held her hand up to stop her and motioned for her to stand. After she reluctantly left the room to mingle, Um Saeed sat up and turned to me.

          "My daughter tells me your sister isn't married?"

          "No," I shook my head, not liking the direction this conversation was going yet again. "That hasn't been a main priority yet."

          "After we talk, I hope to change that."

-*-

         "Ayah?" Jafar appeared around the corner of the hall and looked at me pointedly. "Can we talk?"

        "Yeah," I agreed and excused myself from talking to Annie about her nursery colors. She and Safeer have been fortunate enough to soon welcome a baby girl into their family in a few months, but can't decide on a color, so she asked my opinion on about fifty different shades of pink. I had to get out of there. As we made it outside by the car, I raised an eyebrow. "Is everything okay?"

         "You tell me. Saeed is bragging about possibly getting engaged to my baby sister."

         My eyes widened as he voiced this sudden revelation. I just had a discussion with Um Saeed and Annie not even an hour ago and they're already planning an engagement and probably a wedding. Why didn't think it was suspicious when she abruptly left the room?

          "Well," He exclaimed, and if it wasn't for the seriousness of the situation, I would've laughed at his red face. "What happened in there?"

         So to avoid having to explain bits and pieces of the reason for this, I went with telling him the story Jamila told me about Alia. Everything, well, all that I know of. When Jamila first told me I of course tried to decline and go with a different angle, but then again, what if Alia is right about them spreading lies about her? I know Jamila's track record isn't spotless and it's just assumptions that I'll have about the people she befriends, but the vibes I have from both sides are equal.

          "So, your spy mission failed, and in the meantime, these woman have already set eyes on Jamila?"

          I nodded. "Yes. Believe me, I was shocked as well, but only for a second."

         "What do you mean?"

          I shrugged. "I don't doubt that the first impression of Jamila is nothing but good. At first glance, all you see is a kind Muslimah who is ready to take on the world. But I don't think she is."

         Jafar was conflicted to agree at first, but did anyways with a nod of his head.

         "You're right; it's not a suprise that people would take an interest in her. But please don't let this escalate. I don't want to have to sock Saeed's jaw from talking about my sister."

         I brought my head back with a laugh, but nodded my head nonetheless. "I'll take care of it."

-*-

Jafar:
December 24th

          The past few months that I've been back in town have been rough but bearable, but only some things had the audacity to get me upset. Any problem that I've been faced with I've been annoyed and wished that it could have gone a different way, but never so angry to where I was literally too speechless to even say how angry. To yell, scream, or even blame someone else. And right now, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

         "Are you sure?"

         "Yes I'm sure," Wasim scoffed, pacing up and down the hallway. "He left. No one knows why or where, but he's just gone. Why did we ever believe him?"

         "I don't even know," I sighed, watching outside the window to make sure Ayah hadn't come back yet. This is definitely a bad time for her to show up. I already don't want to worry her right now, and if she knew what I was thinking to do, she wouldn't be happy with it. I'm not even happy with this. But I trusted him, we both did. And look where that's gotten us. Annoyed and angry.

         "What about Aunt Fatima? Does she have an idea?"

         "She doesn't even know. Lately they hardly speak to each other."

         "Because of Luca?"

         A look of pain crossed Wasim's features as he nodded and came to sit beside me on the couch. I feel for my brother, I really do. Watching your parents marriage fall apart doesn't exactly help your mental state much. Granted I was a lot younger than he is now, at any age, it's still hard.

         "I don't think it's just that," He started, staring ahead of him, deep in thought. "I think it was bound to happen before his truths were revealed to us. They weren't supposed to be...happy I guess."

         "Some people have to work harder than others, it's just how life works. But," I clapped him on the back and stood up upon hearing the key in the door, "don't give up faith."

        On my way to the door I head him mumble something along the lines of 'I don't know how much faith I can muster with him.'

         "Hey," I greeted Ayah, taking the bags from her hands and ushering her inside. "How was the..."

         Ayah chuckled and shook her head at me and hung her coat up. "I went to the store and then to the bakery with Jamila. It's her birthday in a few days and she wants a customized cake."

        "Of course she does."

       "So," Ayah made her way into the living room and raised an eyebrow at Wasim, who just so happened to get comfortable in the living room. And by comfortable, I mean his feet were half on the couch, his arm behind his head, and the remote in his hands as he flipped through the stations. Ayah shook her head in disapproval and moved forward. "Ahem!"

        Instead of straightening up like any normal person who catches sight of a pregnant woman's glare would, he waved weakly and pointed to the TV.

        "Do you mind if I tape something? I missed a few episodes of Arrow."

        "Try moving your feet first," I said before Ayah could get a hold of him. It seemed he finally caught on and straightened up with a guilty smile.

       "Sorry?"

       "Yeah," Ayah said lowly, "you're cleaning up in here, you know?"

        "Aw," Wasim groaned, checking his watch for the time before standing. "I would, but I have to go to..."

        "To?" Ayah questioned.

        He looked to me for help but I merely shrugged and brought the bags to our room. It didn't even suprise me that when I came back, Wasim was vacuuming the room with a scowl and pointed to the direction of the kitchen where Ayah most likely was.

        I walked in and wrapped my arms around her waist, placing a kiss on her cheek. She turned her head to look at me, a bright smile on her face.

        "What was that for?"

        "To show you how thankful I am."

        "Oh?" She inquired. "Thankful for what?"

        "Take a look in the mirror and you'll find out."

-*-
Ayah:
January 14th

          I opened the door to my old home and frowned at the quietness of it. It wasn't that I wasn't expecting it, but more of because I knew the reason why. It's the same sadness and emptiness that's been embedded into our lives for the past twenty two years. And now, just three days from now, is the day we lost my father, on the day of my mothers birthday.

         After placing the food I brought in the kitchen, I came to a stop in front of her bedroom door and pushed it open only to reveal my mothers sleeping figure as she curled herself in her covers, all the lights in the room turned off.  Just like I do every year at this time, I came to a stop in front of her and sat down on the edge of the bed, rubbing her back in circles to try and stop the heartbreaking sobs.

        "Did you take your pills, mama?"

        "It's been twenty two years," She answered instead, the distant look she had telling me that she hadn't taken them, probably in days. "It's hard to believe that he's gone."

        "I know," I leaned down on her and let out a deep breath, my hand continuing its task. "But you need to take care of yourself, okay?"

        She didn't answer, and I wasn't expecting her to. After waiting for her breath to steady, confirming she fell asleep, I stood up and went to the kitchen to get her medicine and food. That's the only way she'll take them at this time; only if I put them in her food. I then cleaned up the house that was in a mess from the days mama wasn't able to do it herself. I sat down on the couch and proceeded to contact my friends in New York.

-*-
Jafar:

          Now, I do have a thing against birthdays, mine particularly, but I never thought I would actually dread my sisters eighteenth birthday party. I love her to death, but if I get one more text or call about wich shade of lavender looks more daring, I will change my number. Ever since her birthday she's been rearranging her room and bugging me for opinions, which is definitely not my expertise. But that's only a piece of my pet peeves at the moment. My father and estranged brother being the highlight of those annoyances. But pushing that aside, I turned off my car and made my way into the house to meet Ayah.

         I know how hard this time is for both she and Aunt Amaya. And with our families being so close, the pain that they felt, we felt too. I only have vague memories of my father in law from such a young age, but he was loved by everyone and loved just them just the same. Aunt Amaya and Ayah were his everything, my mother tells me. So for them to have lost him was very unbearable. I smiled to myself when I saw Ayah asleep on the couch, phone in one hand and while the other is clutching her stomach. I pulled the blanket she draped over herself up a little and took the phone from her hand. She stirred for a minute, mumbling something in her sleep, but eventually calmed down.

           Staring down at her sleeping form, I could just imagine what Ayah's father felt when looking at his wife and daughter. He saw a new chapter in his life beginning. He felt as though he would do anything for them and to protect them. He saw his whole world.

-*-

          I jumped awake at the sound of my phone buzzing, squinting my sleep induced eyes to read the callers name or number.

         Wasim.

          I felt movement on my lap and looked down to see Ayah repositioned herself to fall asleep on my lap. When did I even fall asleep? As gently as I could, I raised her head up and swiftly moved out of the way so I could set her back down on the couch without waking her.

          "What's up?" I asked when I made it into the kitchen.

          I heard him snicker on the other end. "The sky," Rolling my eyes, I let out a groan. "But seriously, I have some info that we could both use."

         "Yeah?" I asked, rubbing my tired eyes. "Like what?"

          "Where he is."

          That woke me up.

          "Where?" I asked urgently, "And how do you know?"

          "I have my ways. But back to the news! Where was I?"

          "His location," I said as if I was talking to a child. No wonder, because sometimes I feel like I am.

          "Our father," He paused for added effect. "Is in Miami."

          "Why there?"

          That makes no sense for him to go there, unless for Tehreem. But I know that doing that shouldn't be a secret. She is his daughter. But then another idea struck my mind. I started shaking my head slowly even though he couldn't see me.

           "Don't tell me..."

           "Mhm. He's gone to see Luca."

-*-

Random question: What is your favorite book on wattpad? (It doesn't matter which genre/category)

Please...

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 10.2K 42
WARNING: THIS BOOK NEEDS MAJOR EDITING (Book I in broken series) "What are you doing on my bed? Get down right now." He growled. i got startled and...
131K 26.1K 92
*BOOK ONE IN THE ALL THAT GLITTERS TRILOGY Walking out of an abusive marriage 'unscathed', Khadijah thought that was her salvation, the end of her su...
2K 76 8
A TALE OF ACCEPTANCE OF IMPERFECTIONS. ______________________________________ She loved him but not anymore. He never loved her but he is falling for...
230K 9.7K 20
(Student-Teacher Series#1) I fell on my knees on the floor and threw my phone on the wall after hearing him. I was too late to know what had I done...