Crow's feathers - Naruto fanf...

Від the_hooded_girl

After years of banishment the fourth Suna sibling returns. But why now of all times and what is her connectio... Більше

Prologue
Chapter 1 Traitor
Chapter 2 Blood
Chapter 3 Sand
Chapter 4 Regret
Random Note 1 Profile
Chapter 5 Love
Chapter 6 Guilty
Chapter 7 Birds
Chapter 8 Shadows
Chapter 9 Heart
Chapter 10 Stormcrow
Chapter 11 Renegade
Random Note 2 Taryn
Chapter 12 Secrets
Chapter 13 Leaves
Chapter 14 Promises
Chapter 15 Truth
Random Note 3 Background
Chapter 16 Siblings
Chapter 17 Gone
Chapter 18 Duty
Chapter 19 Kidnapped
Chapter 20 Priorities
Chapter 21 Those that are precious
Random Note 4 Family
Chapter 22 Maturing
Chapter Extra C-rank mission
Chapter 23 Ichibi
Chapter 24 First touch
Chapter 25 Jinchuuriki
Chapter 26 Faith
Random Note 5 Akatsuki
Chapter 27 Friends
Chapter 28 Betrayal
Chapter 29 Unforgiven
Random Note 6 Jutsu
Chapter 30 Nemesis
Chapter 31 Recruited
Chapter 32 The choices we make
Chapter 33 Regrouping
Chapter 34 Forsaken
Random Note 7 Numbers
Chapter 35 When there's nothing left to say
Chapter 36 Sacrifice
Chapter 37 Forever
Chapter 38 Shinobi
Chapter 39 Soulmates
Chapter 40 Illusion
Chapter 41 Love over honor
Random Note 8 From the past
Chapter 42 Politics
Chapter 43 Confrontations
Random Note 9 Family 2
Chapter 44 Crossfire
Chapter 46 Complications
Chapter 47 Heart of an avenger
Chapter 48 The way of the ninja
Random Note 10 - Eye Jutsu
Chapter 49 Darkness of the heart
Chapter 50 No matter what
Chapter 51 The lost and the lonely
Chapter 52 War council
Random Note 11 Lovers
Chapter 53 Brothers in arms
Chapter 54 Keep your enemies closer
Chapter 55 Casualties
Chapter 56 Tell me something true
Chapter 57 Family Reunion
Chapter 58 Teammates
Chapter 59 Desertstorm
Random Note 12 Timeline
Chapter 60 The calm before the storm
Chapter 61 The Eye of the Moon
Chapter 62 Evernight
Chapter 63 The end of all things
Chapter 64 The point of no return
Chapter 65 No one can be strong all the time
Chapter 66 The voice of reason
Chapter 67 A price to pay
Chapter 68 My brother's keeper
Chapter 69 Prodigies
Random Note 13 Taryn's brats
Chapter 70 Something worth living for
Chapter 71 Legacy
Chapter 72 Motionless
Chapter 73 Never again
Chapter 74 Conspiracies
Chapter 75 We weren't born to follow
Chapter 76 Students and teachers
Chapter 77 Those left behind
Chapter 78 Hate and love and everything in between
Chapter 79 Guilt and blame
Chapter 80 Forgotten heroes
Chapter 81 We took the long way home
Epilogue
Extra: Priviliged
Extra: How to be a ninja - Daro
Extra: The edge of a knife
Extra: Black Wings - Kuro
Extra: No questions asked
Extra: Through hard work - Hiro
Extra: The might-have-been - Itachi
Extra: Marked
Extra: Inner workings of the criminal mind
Extra: Flock of birds - Kakashi
Extra: Moving on - Sasuke
Extra: Letters to home
Extra: Taryn Trivia

Chapter 45 A world of Pain

6.1K 124 37
Від the_hooded_girl

Slowly but surely she started to feel at home again, here in Konoha. There were still people that mistrusted her. Gai, Hiashi, even her cousins. And the bigger part of the other Jounin. She had been to school with them, or with their children in some cases. They knew her. Or… had known her. Perhaps that was the problem. They had stayed here. They remained the same as always. She was the one that had changed. She didn’t fit in anymore. She was different. She had always been different. But she didn’t hold it against them. She had done some bad things. Still, she had regained a few friends. Hayate, Asuma, Jiraya. And of course Kakashi.
She wasn’t sure yet what to think of Kakashi. He had made it very clear that he liked her. And living in one house with him didn’t make things easier. She liked him well enough. He was kind and reliable. Handsome even. And he was always there for her. She liked teasing him She liked his calm nature. It reminded her of Itachi.
She sighed. ‘Itachi…’
She still missed him. Perhaps that was why she couldn’t settle in the village.
Taryn rounded a corner in deep thought. She had been thinking a lot lately about all the things she had lost. It made her long for Suna. She missed her siblings and wondered if Gaara was alright.
A commotion further down the street drew her attention. A few people were gathered and they seemed angry with someone. When she took a better look, she noticed their anger was directed at a boy. He couldn’t be much older than her own brother and in his eyes was a look of terror she recognized all too well. In her mind, the boy’s face turned into that of her little brother. A look of pain and loneliness. Could it be? A sudden anger filled her. How could people treat him like that? The boy was just a child. He had done nothing wrong. She took a few steps in their direction. She had to stop them.
A hand on her arm stopped her. Taryn turned to snap at the newcomer and came face to face with Kakashi.
“Don’t,” he said before she could open her mouth.
“They’re picking on him,” Taryn said.
“I know,” Kakashi said sadly.
“Well then. Let me do something about it.”
He shook his head. “You’ll only make it worse,” he said, “they already hate you. If you stand up for Naruto, they’ll take it out in him. It will only get worse for him.”

“But why?” Taryn asked. Se was still looking at the boy, Naruto. In his eyes was a plea for help and confusion about why he was treated the that way.
“He’s a Jinchuuriki,” Kakashi said.
She had expected that answer. It made her angry nonetheless. “And that makes it okay to treat him like this?!” she snapped.
“Of course not,” Kakashi answered, “but the Kyuubi attacked Konoha eleven years ago. They haven’t forgotten.”
“It’s not that kid’s fault,” Taryn growled.
Kakashi eyed her curiously, wondering why she felt such a compassion for a boy she didn’t even know. She was about to walk over again, but his hand didn’t let go of her arm. “Stop,” he told her, “I mean it. You’ll make it worse.”
“Then you do something.”
Kakashi sighed. “Stay here.” He let go of her arm and was about to walk over when he saw Iruka beat him to it. The young teacher spoke a few words and the crowd scattered. Iruka kneeled next to the boy and Kakashi sighed relieved. He turned to Taryn. “Come,” he said and gently pulled her with him.

She had sat like this before, not so long ago. Holding hands with a different person, but no less dear to her. She had realized it now, when she had found his lifeless body. She did love him. It was slower than with Itachi and perhaps less intense, but no less real. She needed him. ‘Kakashi.’ Her hands trembled. She remembered their last conversation. She had told him she hated him. She wished she cold take back those words. Words spoken in anger should never be the last you exchanged with someone. ‘How did it come to this?’ Everyone was being pulled away from her. All she wanted now was a chance to take back those spiteful words. But it was too late.

“You haven’t changed one bit,” Kakashi smiled at her, “still defending the weak.”
“Is that such a bad thing then?” Taryn asked.
Kakashi shook his head and sat down beside her on his couch. “Not at all. It’s admirable.” He sighed. “But I meant what I said. You would have made it worse.”
“Where are his parents?” Taryn asked, “why didn’t they step in?”
“They are both dead,” Kakashi told her, “they died in the Kyuubi attack.”
“And they sealed the nine tails in him?” Taryn asked in disbelieve.
“The Fourth Hokage did it himself,” Kakashi nodded.
Taryn was silent and stared at the floor. Her thoughts returned to Gaara. The boys were so similar. Was her brother still suffering like that? She wondered again is she shouldn’t have just taken him with her. It was too late for that now. Too many years had passed. Too much had happened.
“Hey,” Kakashi said softly, turning her face towards him, “he’ll be alright. You’ll see.”
It took a moment for her to realize he was talking about Naruto and not Gaara. He didn’t know the truth about her brother. She hadn’t told anyone. Not even the Hokage. No matter what had happened, she would not betray Suna’s secrets. Especially this one.
She gave him a weak smile and gazed at his face. In the privacy of his home, Kakashi always went unmasked. She was used to it by now, but his kind eyes made her uncomfortable. They were glowing with more than comfort. And her heart belonged to someone else, while she was painfully aware of his feelings for her. Still, when he leaned in she found herself unable to move. His lips brushed hers in a soft kiss and it took her two full seconds to react.
“I’m sorry,” Kakashi said.
Taryn cleared her throat. She didn’t look at him. “You shouldn’t have done that,” her voice was strangely hoarse.
“I know.”
It didn’t sound like he regretted it though. Taryn turned back to him. She sighed, choosing her words carefully. “Perhaps…. Perhaps it would be better if I stayed somewhere else.”
“You don’t have to go,” Kakashi protested.
“I think I do.”
Kakashi shook his head and took her hand. “Don’t go. I can control myself.”
“That’s not the point,” Taryn said and stood up, “it’s not right, me staying here.”
“The Hokage…”
“I’ll talk to the Hokage tomorrow,” Taryn cut him off.
“And where will you go?” Kakashi asked. He had stood up too, “to the Hyuuga Compound? They refused to house you.”
Taryn gave him a cold glare. “I’ll find a place.”
“You have a place.”
“Don’t do this Kakashi,” she warned him.
“Why are you making this such a problem?” he asked, “why now?”
Taryn’s eyes turned sad. She didn’t want to hurt him, but she couldn’t stay here. “Goodnight Kakashi,” she said and walked out of the room.

 ***

Sarutobi sighed and folded his hands as he looked at the girl that was standing in his office. She had uttered her request in a casual tone, but wouldn’t look him in the eye. He wasn’t sure what to think of this. “Did you have fall-out with Kakashi?” he asked. He saw her stiffen for a moment.
“No,” she stated with a stubborn look.
Sarutobi rested his chin on his hands. He’d prefer if Kakashi kept keeping an eye on her. Not that he didn’t trust the girl, but without Kakashi she’d be completely isolated. “And where would you go?’ he asked, knowing no one would take her in.
“I could take up residence in the Uchiha Quarters,” she answered him.
“And run into Sasuke every day?” the Hokage stated, “no.”
“Somewhere else then?” Taryn begged, “anywhere.”
Sarutobi regarded her for a long time. He suddenly realized what had brought this up. “Does it bother you that much?” he asked, “that Kakashi has feelings for you?”
Taryn looked at the floor. “It would only complicate things,” she said.
“In case you’re leaving again,” the Hokage said.
“I didn’t say…” Taryn protested.
“But you implied it,” he cut her off.
“I can’t give him what he wants,” Taryn muttered.
“Not even if you try?” Sarutobi asked curiously, “or perhaps you do return his feelings, but you’re afraid to accept them because of Itachi?” She didn’t answer him. Sarutobi sighed. “Sit down Taryn.” He watched as she took a chair and hung her head. The Hokage knew he had to bring it to her carefully. He didn’t want her to leave again, though he had a feeling it would come to that eventually. For now he’d do what was necessary to keep her here. No matter what had befallen her, he did care for this girl. And with Orochimaru having let his eye fall on her it was even more important to tie her to this village. “I have been watching you these last couple of weeks,” he said, “you interact well with Kakashi and you get along just fine. There was no problem when you went on a mission with him and Hayate recently.”
Taryn opened her mouth to speak but the Hokage raised a hand to cut her off.
“I don’t see what has changed and I see no reason why you should stop living with Kakashi. You know it was one of the conditions of you staying in Konoha.”
“If you still don’t trust me then there is no reason for me to stay in Konoha,” Taryn said.
“It’s not a matter of trust. I think it’s in your best interest if you continue to live with Kakashi.”
“I’m not a child,” Taryn growled, “I don’t need a babysitter.”
“You are always by yourself, Taryn. If you lived on your own it would only create more distance between you and the other shinobi.”
“They don’t want me around,” Taryn muttered.
“It is you that encourages their attitude by ignoring them. You come off hostile. And I know that is not truly you. I know you haven’t had it easy, but I’d like you to put in more effort.”
“I will,” Taryn promised, “but I can do that on my own.”
“I know Kakashi well,” Sarutobi said sternly, “and I know he is an honorable man. He will not push you into things you don’t want to do and I know you know this too.”

Taryn gritted her teeth and gave a stiff nod.
“You’ll continue living with Kakashi,” the Hokage said in a gentle tone, “he’s shown you nothing but kindness. He risked the respect of his friends for you. Do you really want to hurt his feelings by leaving?”
Taryn looked at the floor. “I’ll hurt him more by staying,” she said softly.
Sarutobi watched her sadly. So she did have feelings for the masked shinobi. “I’ll talk to Kakashi,” he said comforting, “perhaps send you on a mission with some of the others? I think Asuma wouldn’t have any objections if you go with him and Choza.”

Taryn looked up hesitantly. “It’s not… Kakashi’s fault.”
“I know,” Sarutobi said, “but I’ll temper him a bit.” He stood up and walked over to her, placing a hand against her cheek. “Kakashi is your friend,” he said, “just talk to him.” Taryn nodded. “Good,” Sarutobi said, “now go. I have a lot of work to do.”

***

“I see,” the White Fang of Konoha said to his son, “so you’ve had your share of trouble too.”
Kakashi sighed and nodded. He had just told his father about Obito and his Sharingan. He silently wondered if this was where he would spend the rest of eternity. It was good, setting things right with his father. But eventually they would run out of things to say.
His thoughts returned to Taryn, as always when he was troubled. He wished he could have seen her one last time.
“Thinking about that girl of yours?” his father asked with a  sad smile.
“Yeah,” Kakashi sighed, “I wish I could have said goodbye to her.”
“There is no right way to say goodbye. Not for something like this.”

“Last time I saw her… we had an argument of some sort. She was hurt and I tried to comfort her, but… I realize now that I was jut being insensitive. No wonder she got so mad.”
“I’m sorry,” his father said.
Kakashi shook his head. “No. It’s my fault.”
“We often hurt the people we love.” He gave a rueful smile. “I should know.”
“You did the right thing,” Kakashi said, “I see that now. I forgave you and… I’m proud of you.”
A smile appeared on his father’s face. “Thank you,” he said, “I’m glad to hear that.”
Suddenly a strange light surrounded Kakashi and it felt as if something was pulling on him. He gasped. His father looked at him calmly. “It seems you’re wanted back,” he said, “looks like you still have things to do.”
“Dad,” Kakashi said.
His father smiled. “I’m glad I was able to speak with you. Thank you for forgiving me. Now I can finally move on and see your mother again…. Make up with that girl of yours.” His voice became fainter and other sounds became clear. He could feel his body again, feel the stones under his back. His body drew breath. Slowly his eyes fluttered open.

“We should go,” Shikamaru said softly. He had come across Taryn and Choji when he had roamed around town. He had sat with them for a while, but there was nothing they could do. They should go find out if there were survivors.
He gently took Taryn’s arm to help her up. She wasn’t being very cooperative.
When he heard Choji’s gasp he turned around. Taryn didn’t even seem to hear it. She was still in a daze. When he saw the reason for Choji’s reaction, his eyes went wide. Choza was sitting up. How was that even possible? Then he heard a groan and he turned around again. Kakashi had opened his eyes and was trying to sit up. Shikamaru stared at him in disbelieve. ‘But they were dead… how can they…’

Kakashi opened his eyes and squinted. The light hurt his eyes after that night at the campfire. Vaguely he became aware of his surroundings. Konoha…or the remains of it. He remembered the explosion.
A sob not far away from him made him look up. ‘Taryn?’ He eyed her confused. Involuntarily his hand moved to her cheek. “Am I dead then?” he whispered, “is this heaven?”
A mass of girl fell in his arms and he winced.
“I’m sorry,” Taryn sobbed.
He patted her back confused. Then she suddenly pushed away from him and glared at him. She slapped his shoulder. “Idiot!” she shouted, “don’t you ever scare me like that again! I thought you were dead! I thought I had lost you too!”
“Take it easy Taryn,” Shikamaru’s voice said.
Kakashi turned his head. “Shikamaru? Choji? What happened?”
“We don’t know. Everyone came back.”
“Choza?” Kakashi questioned.
“Here,” came his friend’s voice, “I’m alright.” He too sounded confused.
Kakashi turned to Taryn again. The girl still seemed upset. “Hey,” he said softly, “I’m alright.”
She gave a nod and let out a shaky breath. They eyed each other for a moment. “What were you doing here?” he asked. He knew it wasn’t coincidence that she was here in Konoha.
Taryn shook her head. “It’s not important anymore.” Sasuke wasn’t here and she was tired of chasing him. She couldn’t do it alone anymore. She would need some help, but it would have to wait. She needed to talk to someone else first.
Kakashi eyed her curiously, but didn’t comment. He had some idea as to what it was about and now was not the time.
He crawled to his feet. “We should find out what is going on,” he said and looked at Taryn. “What can you see?”

Taryn took a deep breath and activated Byakugan. “The others are alright too,” she said, “but the village is destroyed. It will take a long time to rebuild it.”
“How about Pain?” Choji asked.
“I don’t see him anywhere,” Taryn commented, “I can’t sense him.”
“Is he defeated then? Who did it?”
Taryn scanned the area until her eyes landed on a familiar form, a few miles from town. A smile formed on her lips. “Naruto,” she whispered.
“Naruto?” Shikamaru said, “so he did it.”
Taryn looked at Kakashi. “He’s tired and needs help.”
Kakashi nodded. “I’ll go pick him up.”
“I’m coming with you,” Taryn stated.
Kakashi looked at her surprised, but didn’t comment on it. “Let’s go then,” he said. They turned to the others. “You go find the other villagers,” Kakashi said, “find Tsunade. We’ll fetch Naruto and meet you here.” They nodded and fanned out. Kakashi looked at Taryn. “Lead the way,” he said and followed her into the forest.
“So,” he said when they had been walking a while. “Were you looking for Sasuke?” Taryn looked at the ground. “What makes you think he would come here?”
“Someone told me he’d be here,” Taryn muttered, “I knew he might be lying, but I wanted to make sure.”
“Who would tell you that?” he asked. Taryn didn’t answer. “Taryn!” Kakashi growled, “we want to find him too! If you know something then say it!”
Taryn narrowed her eyes and debated for a moment. “Madara,” she said. She didn’t have to tell him everything.
Uchiha  Madara?”
Taryn nodded.
“Taryn, that is not possible. Uchiha Madara is…”
“Dead?” Taryn finished for him, “I guess I’ve been talking to a corpse then.”

“You’re not making sense,” Kakashi said.
“Where do you think Orochimaru  learned his forbidden arts?” Taryn asked.
Kakashi thought for a moment. “When you said Sasuke was taken by Akatsuki…”
“Madara is the true force behind Akatsuki,” Taryn said, “and he needs Sasuke for something. The boy is blinded by hate and anger. Something terrible will happen.”

“You knew this?” Kakashi asked, “and you never though about warning us? How long have you known? What is going on?”
“I’m not having this conversation with you,” Taryn said through her teeth.
“You knew this attack was coming?”
“No.”
“Tell me what’s going on.”
“I can’t!”

“Why not?!”
“I need to speak with Tsunade first!” Taryn shouted.
Kakashi stopped walking and stared at her. “What?”
Taryn sighed. “Let’s just find Naruto for now,” she said.
“Look at us,” Kakashi said softly, “we’re already arguing again.”
“I’m not saying these things to hurt you, Kakashi. I just… Trust me… can you do that?”
“You’re not wearing the Konoha symbol anymore,” Kakashi suddenly noted.
“I had to make that choice sometime,” she told him, but he heard the lie in her words. “I can’t keep leaping back and forth between two nations,” she continued.
“I suppose that is true,” Kakashi admitted. He sighed. “Taryn… if you find Sasuke… what are you gong to do?” He knew he was risking her anger again, but he needed to know.
She took a long time to answer him. “I don’t know,” she said. Then she looked up. “There!” she said and started running.
Kakashi gasped. “Wait!” he called and hurried after her.
Naruto was sitting underneath a tree, an exhausted expression on his face. In front of him lay a bouquet of paper flowers. ‘Konan’s flowers,’ Taryn thought and she wondered what had happened.
The boy looked up when they approached. “Kakashi-sensei,” he said stunned.
“Naruto,” Kakashi nodded, “well done.”
Naruto turned to Taryn and stared at her. “Why are you here?” he asked, though his tone wasn’t hostile, just tired.
Taryn gave a faint smile. “We’ll talk later,” she said.
He nodded at her, to exhausted to argue.
Kakashi carefully lifted the boy on his back and the three of them slowly made their way back.

            At the edge of the village, Kakashi put Naruto back on his feet. The boy’s eyes went wide when all the villagers ran out to meet him. He was congratulated and patted on the back from all sides.
“Ow,” Naruto said, “watch it.”
Then Sakura pushed her way through the crowd and slapped him. “You’re always so rash idiot!” she scolded and then hugged him. “Thank you,” she whispered.

***

Three renegades looked up when a fourth figure entered the room. “Get ready to leave,” he said.
“Oh,” one of his comrades spoke, “are your wounds healed then?”
“Yeah,” Sasuke said and his eyes grew cold, “we’re heading for Konoha.”

***

Three Kumo ninja made their way through the forest. “How much longer?” the male spoke to the leader,
The young woman turned to her comrades. “If all goes well, we should reach Konoha in two more days.”

***

In the crowd that was cheering on Naruto, a Jounin made his way towards Shikaku Nara, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. “What is it?” Shikaku asked, sensing his presence.
“Emergency meeting,” the messenger said, “you are to report to the council room immediately.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

907K 33.9K 68
After her clan massacre and the death of her brother, Yuyan Hane travels to Konoha and is saved by Konoha's distinguished Itachi Uchiha who raises he...
574K 17.5K 35
Shikamaru's elder sister, Y/n Nara, disappeared at age 16. As a known friend to Itachi, her whereabouts become a concern for the Leaf Village. Y/n ha...
559K 22.1K 40
Hibiki Tsukino was never one to make friends. She has run all her life and wondered why she stays alive. She came up with four reasons; four reasons...
394K 10.3K 64
Y/n Uchiha was the Youngest Sibling of Madara and Izuna. She was adopted by Madara after her parents died in the battle between the Senju and Uchi...