Exes (An Aldub/MaiChard Fanfi...

Oleh itsnotonpaper

Maine Faulkerson had just started to be finally happy again. She has a great kid, a caring suitor and a peace... Lebih Banyak

The News
Tickets for Closure
Her Father's Great Idea
After Six Years
What She Came For
Stuck With You
Touchdown Reality
Separate Ways, Separate Lives
All Because
Nothing He Could Do
No Choice
Only Exception
Breaking The News
Tables Turned
Saving Him
Another One
What Truly Matters
Throught The Little Boy's Eyes

Crossed Out

8.9K 314 315
Oleh itsnotonpaper

"Psst." She kissed him on the cheek, on the nose, on the forehead and finally on the lips. He scrunched his eyebrows without opening his eyes, annoyed at the person who was trying to disturb his sleep. He breathed in, and all his annoyance vanished. It smelled like strawberries. She had always smelled like strawberries even if she just woke up.

He smiled, his eyes still half closed, stretching. Sunlight was already starting to shine through their bedroom window, but half of their room was still in the shadows. He looked at the girl leaning on him just beside the bed. Her hair was in a bun, his shirt too big for her frame. Her eyes were still blinking at a slow rate, sleep still trying to attract her on the bed. The girl combed through his messy hair once, leaning closer to his face. "Merry Christmas, love."

He frowned, rolling his eyes. He stood up, walking towards her, his eyebrows still knitted together. She looked surprise at his sudden change of emotion, backing away.

He stood still in front of her, his looks still not changing. "Why.. Are you.." He trailed off. She stared back, folding her arms, regaining her composure. She raised her eyebrow. She was too small compared to his muscular body, but she didn't flinch at his stare. She was just not afraid of him. Why should she? "Why am I what?" She snapped.

"Why are you.. Not in bed with me?" He suddenly grabbed her by the waist, pulling her to the bed with him. She squealed, laughing as she wrestled him, trying to get away from him. "Richard!" She screamed, giggling all the same. He had locked his arms around her, pulling her on top of him, grinning mischievously. "Who the hell told you na umalis sa kama without me?"

She laughed, slapping him on the chest. "Get off! Wala pa tayong breakfast."

"Mamaya na yun. Stay in bed with me." He murmured, peppering her neck with kisses, tracing a line from there, to her jaw and to her lips. She cupped his face with her hands, enjoying the feeling of his lips against hers. He sat up, she sitting on top of him. She held the back of his head, burying her hand on his hair as they continued to kiss. She broke the kiss off, smiling. They rested their foreheads against each other, looking at each other's eyes. "We're not going to spend our first Christmas as a married couple on bed, are we?" Maine asked, chuckling as Alden touched his nose to hers, closing his eyes and smiling.

He leaned closer to her, whispering. "Yes. Yes we are, love."

==============================

"Psst." He lightly tapped her on the cheek, waiting for a reaction. "Ma, gising na."

Maine opened her eyes to the sight of her son already wrapped with too much clothing. He was grinning as he watched her mother rub her eyes and yawn. "Merry Christmas Ma! Kailangan mo nang magbihis, dadating na si Papa anytime."

"M-marco?"

"Si Papa, Ma. Wala naman si Marco dito eh." Matthew left the room, scratching his head. Maine rubbed her eyes, dragging herself to the shower. Maine had of course anticipated this day ever since their first breakfast and ever since she knew planes were fully booked. Matthew had convinced her to actually spend the whole day with Alden as they roam around the city, on Christmas day. It was emotionally exhausting to be with him and Matthew: acting like spending your time with the husband who left you on Christmas day was not unusual.

If she just didn't love her son too much..

But she did.

It took her 20 minutes to prepare, just in time with Alden's arrival. Alden had planned to tour them around the city: although according to him, he's not been in the place for more than two months. He was just technically touring Matthew, given that Maine was even more familiar with New York than him. He arrived a few minutes after Maine finished preparing, with a sling bag and a camera on his shoulder, and a paper bag by the hand, looking very excited.

The camera.

It was the one thing Alden had taken with him aside from necessities. He was not really a good photographer, but he had enjoyed taking pictures of anything under the sun.

Most especially Maine. She was his favorite subject.

"Hello." He grinned at her and Matthew as he entered the place. "Merry Christmas. Can I leave these here? Para mamaya." She nodded, reaching out for the paper bag and placing it on the couch.

"Merry Christmas, Pa!" Matthew was excited as ever. He pulled both of his parents on each hand outside, squeezing them together on the doorway as they got out. "Tara na tara na tara na."

==============================

It had been an exhausting day. It was fun, but Maine didn't just want to admit it. Alden had brought them to several places in less than half a day. They went even as far as Times Square. Alden was just disappointed that they won't be there for the ball dropping ceremony on new year. The whole time, Alden had snapped photos of her and Matthew, whether it was candid or not. He refused to join the picture, urging the two to pose for the camera in front of important landmarks or places. He treated them all kinds of food New Yorkers usually have, enjoying eating along streets. He took them to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and even urged them to visit the nearby shore, just to have a glimpse at Liberty City and the famous Statue of Liberty. Maine couldn't believe it can all be done in a day. When she was in New York with her friends, they usually spent their time just in the usual places to hang out. She didn't realize a lot more things could be done in a day.

To end the day, Alden had taken them to watch a Christmas musical, something Matthew was interested in. They had anticipated to see Lea Salonga, but the understudy was there to perform. Still, it was a good show.

The musical ended with Matthew already wanting to end the day and eat. It was, after all, tiring. They didn't rent a car, so they pretty much walked half of the time or took the train. The sky was already dark, not a star to be seen. Instead of the little dots lighting up the sky, the city was the one to light itself, streets still full of opened shops and buildings towering over them, bright LED screens showing advertisements and the like. The city was wide awake with noise, people rushing everywhere despite the occasion. They stood outside the theater, facing one another.

"Anong food gusto mo, Matthew?" Maine asked as they waited for a cab. She watched Alden, who was busily taking pictures of the theater while waiting.

"Uwi nalang tayo, Ma. Then let's order pizza with dad."

"Pizza? Pasko, pi-" Maine almost complained, but stopping as she heard herself. She wanted to scream out, frustrated at how deja vu can slap her endlessly on the face, repeatedly, when Alden was with her. She pursed her lips, observing Alden on the corner of her eyes. He had stopped for awhile, clearly having the same reaction as hers. Matthew looked at her, baffled at his parents'sudden silence.

"Bakit ma? Masarap naman po ang pizza dito sa New York ah."

She shook her head. "Nothing. Alden, can you order? I'm not familiar with the pizza places here."

"Sure, sure. I'll be the one to call later." Alden smiled awkwardly, turning his camera off as a cab stopped in front of them.

"Yay, thank you Ma! Dahil diyan, kayo na po ang pumili ng flavor."

"No." She shook her head, trying to calm herself as deja vu slapped her another time as they entered the cab. "Si Alden na lang."

==============================

"Gusto ko pa nga kumain eh. Love naman." Maine complained, as Alden pulled her outside their car, bringing her inside their rest house. Alden had asked permission from the Mendozas if they could leave early from the dinner. Maine thought her family was their last stop for Christmas day, after visiting the Faulkersons and Alden's mom in the cemetery. But no, he had pulled her towards their car as soon as they bid goodbye to the family, him driving them to their own secluded resthouse.

"We could eat later! Mag-oorder ako ng pizza."

"Pizza? Pasko, pizza? Wow."

"Ikaw pipili ng flavor, promise." He nudged her, squeezing her hand tighter.

She paused for awhile, thinking about his offer. She smiled. "Fair enough."

"Great! Okay, just in time, stand here." He stopped walking as they reached the balcony of their second floor, moving her towards the edge. He smiled giddily, looking at the sky. She looked at the sky. Nothing. She looked at him. He was still looking.

"Uhm.. ang ganda ng.. stars?" She said slowly, not sure where Alden was getting at with staring at the skies and all.

"Hindi. Hindi yung stars." He looked at his watch, tapping his foot impatiently. "Teka lang." She patiently waited , but still, the sky didn't move. Was he trying to go Bruce Almighty on her?

"Alam mo, Richard, maganda talaga yung stars." She joked, only making Alden more impatient by the second.

"Teka nga lang."He moved away, grabbing his phone, calling someone. "Huy!" She could hear him forcibly whispering. "Asan na?!"

And then the lights were filled with color. Alden suddenly panicked, fumbling for the speakers on top of the table, turning it to I Was Made For Loving You.. Maine giggled at Alden, who was busy looking for something under the table. She diverted her gaze from him, focusing her attention to the lighted sky bursting with colors.

Alden approached Maine, sighing. He dejectedly handed her the bouquet of flowers, a look of defeat in his eyes. "Merry Christmas. Surprise. I'm a disaster."

"You're not." She giggled, finding his pouting cute. She placed her arm around his waist, giving him a reassuring squeeze. "It was beautiful love, ang ganda. Sino naman yung nasa gitna ng field na yun at nagpaputok nung fireworks?"

"Just someone who owed me a favor." He smiled. "Don't worry, business niya talaga ang fireworks." He moved away from Maine, reaching out another time for something under the table. "Eto, regalo muna."

"Ang unfair! Hindi ako naorient. Nasa bahay regalo mo." She said as he handed her a slightly small box, wrapped in red.

"You're all the gift I need for Christmas." She punched him playfully on the arm, rolling her eyes. "Corny mo."

"Buksan mo na."

She looked at the gift excitedly. Alden was a guy who was never contented with the usual gifts of jewelry and chocolates and bags. Those things, according to him, were for him to buy for her on a regular day. Occasions: well, they needed to be a little more special. Just on their 1st annivesary, aside from roses and chocolates and stuff toys and letters, he had given her his journal he had kept, where journal entries dating back to Tamang Panahon were written about her. He was not the best writer out there. Between the two of them, she was the obviously better one, but the journal was one of the best things she had ever received from someone. In there were his feelings of the fear of Maine not liking him back, of the dread she will soon find another guy, of the giddiness he felt from their slightest touch, of the inexplicable feeling he felt when she had agreed to be her girlfriend, and of the hurt and desperation he felt when they almost broke up. The journal contained them all. It was as if she was reading his heart.

She tore the paper away, revealing a white box. She opened it, placing the gift on her hand.

Inside the box was a snow globe.

It was no ordinary snow globe. First of all, there was no snow in it, nor a Christmas symbol. Inside was a glass fountain painted with different colors, and in front of it were two little silhouette cutouts, appearing to be kissing each other.

It was a replica of Maine's instagram post, way way back in 2015 when she was in Japan, except Alden's own silhouette was added just in front of Maine's.

Just below the globe, a gold plate was placed, with the words You'll find me someday crossed out. Just beside it was the word Found. 7/16/15

Maine laughed, shaking his head. "Naalala mo pa pala to?" She shook the globe, watching the yellow glitters and sequins swirl around the water, covering their silhouettes. "Pero you do realize, as I've said, na hindi naman para sa'yo yung post na yun? Na para yun kay-"

"Kay Miggy, alam ko. Wag mo nang ipaalala na habang in love na in love ako sa'yo nun, may feelings ka pa pala dun sa-"

"Shh." She cut him off, placing a hand on his mouth. "Richard, ang high blood. Ikaw na love ko, okay?"

"Ikaw kasi eh. Tsaka ako ang nakahanap naman sa'yo, hindi siya." He said confidently, a smug smirk on his face. "Tsaka diba gusto mo gawin natin yung picture na yun eh, but we've always failed to remember to take that picture when we go to Japan, kaya pinagawa ko nalang." He watched her as she watched the glitters settle down. "Do you like it?"

"Of course I do. You're like the guy who gives the most unusual and special gifts. Every occasion is a surprise."

Another set of fireworks lit up the sky, making the both of them look up. Alden offered his hand to her for a dance. "Talagang may timing?" She obliged. Instead of taking his hand and holding him by the shoulder, she placed her hands at the back of his neck, putting her head on his chest.

He shook his head, embarrassed as they swayed. "No, it was supposed to light up later. I don't know what happened. Sabi ko sa'yo eh. Sablay."

"It's okay love. I still love it."

"Love it? It lang? Yun lang love mo?"

"And you."

"What about me?"

"Arte mo." She look up to him, rolling her eyes. Alden leaned in, smiling as he kissed her repeatedly. "I love you, Richard. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas. I love you."

==============================

"Pasok ka." Maine placed her coat on the rack, motioning for Alden to get inside. He did the same, putting his coat over Maine's. He left his bag and camera dangling on his shoulder as the three of them proceeded to the living room.

"Kung may kitchen lang dito, si Mama nalang sana magluluto. Natikman niyo na po ba magic pasta niya?" Matthew sat on the sofa, resting his chin on his hand. Alden sat beside him, placing a hand on the sofa behind Matthew.

"The one with tuna? Yes, favorite ko yun no!" Alden said casually, as if it was normal to share that your soon-to-be-ex-wife's pasta was a thing you love. "Buti kaya mo kainin yun, your mom likes it spicy diba?"

"Ay, hindi po eh. Gusto ko po ng maanghang, pero ayaw po ni Marco ng spicy eh. Kaya hindi na siya nagluluto ng maanghang." Matthew pouted. "Except pag kaming dalawa lang po. Which is never naman nangyayari, kasi si Marc-"

"Well Matthew." Maine butted in, trying to cut the conversation short. She was feeling awkward talking about him at the moment. "Walang kitchen, so magtiis nalang tayo sa pizza. Alden, you call." Maine headed to the bedroom to get the presents. She opened the cabinet, grabbing two red paper bags. She traditionally wrapped presents for any occasions, but these presents were bought in New York, and she had no time to wrap them any more.

She emerged from the room, showing the two boys the paper bags at her hand. They were already seated on the floor of the living room, already a paper bag in front of them. It was the one Alden had left in their room awhile ago.

"Nasa bahay regalo mo, pero for the sake of receiving one today eto." She seated beside Matthew, facing Alden. She handed one paper bag to Matthew. Matthew said words of thanks in a hurry, clearly excited at what maybe the content of the bag. He opened it, revealing a box of sophisticated looking set of LEGOs. Matthew looked at the box in wonder, obviously grateful for what he received. "Thank you Ma! I've waited for this a long time."

Alden cocked his head to the side, trying to read the text on the box. "Bakit parang ang liliit naman niyan para makagawa ng building?"

Matthee laughed. "Pa, para sa robotics po ito. Binili ako ni Marco ng isang set ng robot, at nakapagprogram na po ako ng isa." "At ito pong binili ni Ma, pandagdag ko sa robot ko po. Kaya thank you Ma!"

"Welcome anak."

"You have a lot of hobbies, no? Soccer, robotics, theater arts, books." Alden chuckled, ruffling the hair of his kid. He look so impressed at his son. That's what you've been missing for six years. Maine can't help but bitterly think. "You're a smart kid."

"Thanks Pa. Mana ako sa inyong dalawa eh." He said proudly, earning him meek smiles from his parents.

"Oh siya nga pala, meron din akong regalo sa'yo." Alden reached out for a beautifully wrapped gift on the old paper bag. It was in a shape of a long box, wrapped in gold Christmas wrapper with a white ribbon on top. "Hindi siya kasing ganda ng sa Mama mo, pero.."

Excited with opening another present, Matthew immediately reached out for it. He tore the gold wrapper away, revealing a toy box. It was a remote-controlled car. Matthew smiled widely, looking at his father. He looked so happy, but Maine knew better. She could see right though him.

He was just trying to look happy.

Maine understood why the boy wasn't that excited. He had a couple of cars back at home, courtesy of her and Marco. Being the matured boy he was, he was trying to show his father he was happy.

His courtesy and maturity made Maine proud.

"Pa, ang ganda po!" He exclaimed, opening the box. He got the car out, examining it from all sides.

"Talaga?"

"Favorite color ko po ito. Thank you po!" Turning it on, Matthew stood up and grabbed the controller. His little fingers fiddled with it, following the car around. He headed for the bedroom.

Silence fell between Maine and Alden. He rubbed his nape, trying to find the right time to speak up. He cleared his throat. "May regalo din ako sa'yo, Maine."

"Hmm?"

"Eto. I was supposed to sen-" He paused. He shook his head, holding out a small gift to her. "Here."

It was in the shape of a book, so she tore the wrapper carefully, revealing a copy of The Notebook.

"M..meron na ako nito diba?" She eyed him, frowning. She knows he knew this was one of her favorite books. Why buy it again?

"Ah, hindi. Buksan mo." Maine opened the book to its first page. There printed out was its title, the author, the usual text you would see. But overlapped on some of the text were scribbles from a marker. She read it.

Hello Maine,

I heard you were a fan and this is one of your favorites. This is one of mine too. Thank you for the support.

All the love,
Nicholas

Matthew had returned to the living room. Seeing the book Maine was holding, he peeked on her shoulder, reading the message. "Ma, diba may ganyan ka na? Yung bigay ni Marco? Yung may pirma din?"

So much for saying Matthew was already matured enough to be sensitive about other's feelings.

A look of embarrassment and hurt immediately changed Alden's face. Maine shifted on the floor, thinking of the best thing to say. As much as she hated his guts, she felt sorry for him. Or more accurately, she pitied him.

"When will you ever call him tito?" Maine asked Matthew, trying to ease the conversation away from the fact that his gift was, for the first time, not unique. Ordinary. Already been done. But still, Alden's was more special. Not because it was from him, but because it had a dedication. Simple as that. "Yes. Pero thank you Alden."

"No problem." He shrugged his shoulders, smiling.

Matthew looked at Maine. "Ikaw Ma, wala kang regalo kay Papa?"

"It's okay. Hindi naman required ang regalo."

"Hindi ba obvious? May isa pang paperbag, oh. Here, take it." Maine handed it out to Alden.

"T-talaga?" He slowly opened the paper bag, eyeing Maine. He was so surprised she had bought one for him. He took it out, showing it to Matthew and Maine.

It was a sweater, with a polar bear at the middle, its hand in midair, appearing to wave at the people around. He smiled fondly, remembering their AlDub days. Pabebe wave. Maine hadn't really given much thought to what she will give to Alden that Christmas day, since she was just doing it out of courtesy, but upon seeing the sweater during her time alone shopping during that week, she immediately remembered Alden, and had bought it immediately.

He grinned, removing his jacket and putting on the cream colored sweater. She looked at him, cocking her head to the side. "Masikip ba? Yung size mo dati yung pinili ko eh." She said casually, continuing to study his figure. Even with layers of clothing on, his biceps were still evident and bigger than ever. Noticing them made Maine flush. She looked away.

He shook his head. "Sakto lang." He smiled. "Thank you, Maine."

"Let's take a picture, Pa! Kanina ka pang picture ng picture, di ka naman sumasama."

"No I'm fine. Dali, I'll take a picture of you and your mom."

"No, Pa. Sama ka." Matthew continued to nag. Alden discreetly looked at Maine, watching out for her reaction.

"Itimer mo na lang Alden, then place it on the coffee table." Maine said as a way to tell him it was okay with her. She really didn't have a choice, did she?

"Ah, sige. Teka." He placed the camera on the coffee table, pointing it towards them. He pressed several buttons, and immediately sat on Maine's side. He placed his hand on the floor behind Maine's back, leaning towards her and giving her enough personal space. Personal space appropriate for friends. Matthew sat on his lap, placing his head on Maine's shoulder. The camera flashed several times, making the three make wacky poses and laughing all the same. Alden got the camera, looking at the pictures. He smiled, but it quickly faded away. This could have been them every year. Every occasion. Every happy moment. Everyday.

But he left. He still couldn't figure out if what he did was for the best or not.

"Sige, aalis na rin ako." He stood up, slinging the camera and his bag over his shoulder. "Maaga pa tayo bukas."

"Pizza's on the way. Sure kang hindi ka na magsastay?"

"Hindi na. Kakain na lang ako malapit sa apartment ko."

She accompanied him to the door, leaning on the doorway with her hand on Matthew's shoulder. He turned around, shoving his hands on his coat, smiling. "Merry Christmas ulit sa inyo." He leaned on Matthew, kissing him on the cheek. "Nag-enjoy ako, anak. Thank you."

"Ako din Pa! Best Christmas ever!!"

Maine smiled courteously at him as he stood up . "Thank you. Merry Christmas din. So. We'll see you tomorrow? Let's meet sa airport at around 7."

He took a deep breath, nodding. A little over 24 hours left. "See you tomorrow." He waved goodbye, turning around and leaving his son and his soon-to-be ex-wife.

Upon returning to their hotel room, Matthew immediately rushed to the paper bag Alden had left. It had fallen over to one side, its handles on the verge of being torn apart. "Uy, naiwan po ni Pa." Matthew picked up the paper bag, looking inside. He took out a piece of paper, reading it. "Ay, tinanggal niya lang pala. Gusto ko sana po pumuntang Central Park eh. Malayo po ba yun?"

Upon hearing the name of the place, she immediately rushed to Matthew's side, reading the text. Hundreds of memories flooded her mind she felt she would stumble, even holding the edge of the sofa for support. It was a handwritten copy of their itinerary that day. Just below the paper, Central Park was written, but crossed out. Beside it, theater was written, replacing the park from the list. So the musical was just plan B.

She had almost forgotten about that place.

"No, Matthew." Maine murmured, folding the paper. She slid the folded paper on her pocket. "It's just 15 minutes away."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

2.8K 619 135
Park Jimin- a.k.a- Jess/jass Min Yoongi- a.k.a- Red Kim taehyung- a.k.a- Fatima Jeon Jungkook-a.k.a- Luigi Kim Namjoon- a.k.a- Neil Kim Seokjin- a.k...
58.5K 2.7K 38
ayon sa iba, Ang GREATEST LOVE raw ang hinding-hindi mo makakalimutan sa lahat. Ang GREATEST LOVE raw ang nagturo sayo kung paano totoong magmahal...
Daddy Hannie Oleh icey

Fiksi Penggemar

36.5K 2.5K 52
"Ayaw mo ba akong maging asawa?" - Jeonghan In which she unintentionally introduced a random passerby, Jeonghan, as her child's father. DATE STARTE...
108M 2.3M 100
Now published under Pop Fiction, an imprint of Summit Books. P195, Taglish Part 1 Theirs is a story that started all wrong. Naglayas si Gail sa bahay...