Mister Popular's Little Sister

By dancinginsunlight

After the divorce of her parents, Marley Parker stays in North Carolina while her brother and father move to... More

Mister Popular's Little Sister
one: forgotten
two: friends with the rival
three: who said anything about a soccer game?
four: my brother hates me
five: like some disease
six: guilty
PLEASE READ
seven: unknown
eight: here goes nothing
nine: what are you doing here?
ten: a tuesday in may
eleven: he's here
twelve: silver letters
thirteen: juliannas
fourteen: scoops
fifteen: always
sixteen: duke nightrunner
seventeen: totally ruined
eighteen: you were right
nineteen: everything
twenty: something
twenty-two: there's nothing further we can do
twenty-three: where am I?
twenty-four: it's definitely not over
Epilogue
Q&A

twenty-one: there's no need for you to sit on me

207K 6.1K 1.5K
By dancinginsunlight

twenty-one: there's no need for you to sit on me

⠀⠀⠀⠀"How was going to the police," Ryland questions as we sit on my bed studying for tomorrow's final. It's currently Monday and Ryland and I have finished one exam.

Only four more days of school, thankfully.

"It was alright," I shrug. "They didn't say much except that they'll follow up on the leads and call us when they have something. And I bet the detail out there is bored out of his mind. James Turner won't come near the house if he knows there's police here." I sigh knowing the detail is only somewhat helpful.

"Yeah, if he knows the police is at your house, he's going to be smart enough to stay away," she agrees as I sigh.

"Moving on from this dreary subject," I start. "You excited for summer?" I change the subject to a much happier, well, kind of, subject.

"Yes," she smiles widely. "I'm excited to go to North Carolina with you." She happy dances causing me to laugh to the point of tears.

After a few minutes, I sober up before speaking. "Speaking of which, the week we leave you're going to spend the night before we fly out, right?"

The trip isn't for another five weeks, but it's always a good idea to plan ahead.

"Yes, I am," her smile falters slightly.

"What's wrong?" I question closing my math book. I don't even need to study for math.

"It's just," she pauses looking around the room. "It's just that Conner will be moving out of state soon," her eyes land on a picture of young Conner and I that sits on my desk.

"I know," I reply sadly.

Conner is set to move to Washington in September to go professional in soccer. That's only just under four months away, sadly. But I'm happy that he's pursuing his dreams, but I just got here and I feel like I'm losing him again.

"I'm going to miss him," I sigh knowing that she's going to miss him as well.

So much for changing the subject to a happier one.

"Me, too," she pulls her knees to her chin.

They've only been on one date, but I can tell they care very much about each other. I'm glad that Conner got the nerve to ask her on a date.

"We could always visit him. That will make for fun road trips," I smile slightly trying to lighten the mood.

"I guess," she rests her chin on her knees.

Ryland's phone rings breaking the silence we were sitting in. She searches for the phone finding it under a pillow.

"Hello?" She questions.

I gather my book and notebook taking them to my desk not wanting to interrupt the phone conversation.

"I forgot. I'm sorry, mom," I glance over my shoulder to find her running a hand through her hair.

I pretend to busy myself by organizing my already neat desk. I stack my books and pens neatly.

"Right now?" She sighs.

I walk over to my bed once more concluding that the conversation will be ending soon.

"I'll be over as soon as I can." She unfolds her legs standing up from my bed. "I love you, too, mom," she replies hanging up.

I raise an eyebrow questioning her.

"I forgot I have to watch Katelyn today." I nod my head understandingly.

Katelyn is Ryland's twelve year old sister. She's an exact replica of Ryland except younger, well, besides the personality part. Katelyn is very girly and very loud, louder than Ry, and very testy.

"You want to come over," she offers shoving her math book into her backpack. "Kate's going to be doing her own thing and I'll be bored."

I ponder the offer and decide I have nothing better to do.

"Sure," I stand up from my bed to slide on my moccasins. I'm currently wearing baggy sweatpants and a large shirt wanting to be comfortable. "But I'm not changing," I add.

"Fine by me," she smiles slinging her bag on her back. I grab my new phone before following Ryland out of my room.

Conner had gotten me a new phone as my old flip phone was outdated. He said that there's no way that I'll be able to keep in touch with him with 'that old thing'. He ended up buying me an iPhone 6, which I had said was to be too fancy, but he had to get me the iPhone.

Ryland unlocks her blue car allowing both of us to lower ourselves into the tiny thing. I hate riding in this car as its so small that if we get into an accident, we will be crushed.

We make the short ride to her house arriving just as her mother was about to pull out of the driveway. We both slide out the car and quickly greet Mrs. Waters.

"Be nice to your sister," Mrs. Waters calls before sliding into her van.

"I won't," Ryland jokingly replies earning a pointed look. "Kidding," she smiles.

"Bye, girls," she waves before driving away.

"Bye," we wave despite her not being able to see or hear us.

"Let's go," Ryland locks her car walking up the walkway towards the front door. "I'm hungry."

"Food sounds great," I trial behind her entering her beautiful house.

We find Katelyn in the living room watching television while we find ourselves in the kitchen looking for food. Normally, I'd feel uncomfortable rummaging through someone's kitchen when I've only been to their house three times, but the Waters' are like my second family already.

"You want Mac n' cheese," Ryland questions pulling out a box of Velveeta.

"Yes," my mouth waters at the thought of one of my favorite foods. Opening the fridge, I eye my options and my eyes land on raspberry ginger ale. I pull out the bottle and place it on the counter shooting Ryland and amused look. "Did I get you hooked to this stuff?"

She eyes me and then the bottle. "Yes," she chuckles. "It's so good."

"Right," I reply pouring the pink drink into two different cups assuming she wants some.

After a few minutes, the Mac n' cheese is finally cooked and put into two bowls for either of us. We grab our drinks, food, and napkins and head towards the living room joining Katelyn.

"Give me the remote, Kate," Ryland demands plopping down on the opposite couch.

"No," she states keeping her eyes locked onto the screen. From what I can make of the show, I assume it's some Disney channel show.

"Kate," Ryland states placing her food on the coffee table. I mirror her actions.

"What, Ry?" She breaks eye contact with the tv once commercials start to roll.

"Nobody wants to watch this," she places one hand on her hip and the other out waiting for the remote. "Give me the remote."

"I want to watch this show," Katelyn stands up placing her hands on her hip, her right hand holding the remote.

"Give it," Ryland narrows her eyes. "I am babysitting you which means that I am in charge of you."

"No," Katelyn spits back. "Plus, I'm not a baby so there's no need for you to sit on me."

I chuckle at her way of saying babysitting.

As if Katelyn knows what Ryland is thinking, she takes off running around the room and Ryland follows in pursuit. I quickly stand on the couch next to me making sure I'm not in the way.

I suppress my laughter as Ryland gains on Katelyn. Eventually, she tackles Katelyn bringing her to the floor and the remote flying across the room. As if in slow motion, the two both scramble to the remote like in some crime show when two people scramble for the gun.

By now, I can't suppress my laughter any longer. I clutch my aching stomach as the two wrestle for the remote.

"Mar!" Ryland yells as she has her sister pinned down. "Grab the remote," she nods towards the remote across the room.

I quickly jump off the couch with tears streaming down my face from laughter. I pick up the black remote and hold it over my head as Ryland gets off her sister.

"Way to go, Marley," Ryland cheers as her sister stands up groaning.

"You're fat, Ry," Kate grumbles rubbing her back.

"Thank you," Ryland proudly replies with a smile on her face.

Ryland isn't fat, but she isn't super skinny, either. She's average, and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Criminal Minds?" Ryland looks at me.

"Oh, yes," I nod handing her the remote and Katelyn grumbles leaving the family room.

"That's one way to get rid of her," Ryland chuckles changing the channel.

"Yep," I reply grabbing my food and relaxing into the comfortable couch.

This, I could get used to.

author's note

Hey-o!

Happy it's-almost-Friday day! (:

Again, not much happened in this chapter except that Katelyn shows up.

It will get more interesting very shortly.

With love,

.j

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3M 133K 42
After being forced by her mother and awful step-father to move out to California, Analise Gates has to live in a house with almost complete strangers...
39K 2.1K 40
Wren Kingston is your typical nerd. Moved into San Francisco with her parents and Brother. Enrolled in a new school with all the snobbish rich kids...
700K 11.1K 6
Jackie does not like surprises. Chaos is the enemy! The best way to get her successful, busy parents to notice her is to be perfect. The perfect look...
277 35 31
Savannah is your typical quiet girl. She doesn't enjoy confrontation and she was always in the shadow of her greatest rival. Well that is after the d...