Brick by Brick

By MmaroZ

The story of Sammy, someone who holds the future in her hands. But nothing is certain, least of all the futu... More

Prologue
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen
Part Fifteen
Part Sixteen
Part Seventeen
Part Eighteen
Part Nineteen
Part Twenty
Part Twenty One
Part Twenty Two
Part Twenty Three
Part Twenty Four
Part Twenty Five
Part Twenty Six
Part Twenty Seven
Part Twenty Eight
Part Twenty Nine
Part Thirty
Part Thirty One
Part Thirty Two
Part Thirty Three
Part Thirty Four
Part Thirty Five
Part Thirty Six
Part Thirty Eight
Part Thirty Nine
Part Forty
Part Forty One
Part Forty Two
Epilogue

Part Thirty Seven

5.2K 407 18
By MmaroZ

Chapter Thirty Seven

"Seduction?" Corinne smiled then clapped her hands together excitedly. "This is ace!"

A few heads turned at her increase in volume and Sammy blushed wishing they'd had this conversation in private rather than one of the busiest cafes in town at lunchtime.

"Ok, don't tell the whole town."

Giggling she quietened down to a whisper, "I know, but it's SO exciting."

They'd met on Corinne's very brief lunch break and it had taken just a few moments to bring her up to date with the previous evening. They'd spoken briefly on the phone, but it wasn't until they got together that Sammy felt able to really unload.

"It's not JUST seduction though, is it? I mean we almost had sex in London at his place. I know he likes me, and last night he told me he'd always liked me. But that's not enough. How do I get him past Marcus, get him over this?"

She grimaced, "that I'm less sure. I mean I could understand if you were still living in his house, Marcus I mean. But this house has nothing to do with him."

Sammy groaned, "other than his father helped me buy the place. I don't want to take the pictures of him down, I owe it to Eleanor that she sees him, that she knows him."

Corinne sighed, "but she'll never know him, not really, but you can tell her, you can talk to her. A photo of a stranger doesn't give her memories. Maybe you need to take them away, or just put them in her room? I mean it must be really hard for him to see those pictures..." Corinne reached out a hand and tapped her left hand, "and then there's that."

Sammy looked down at Corinne's fingers as they touched her wedding and engagement ring. She wasn't even aware that she was wearing them; it was such an automatic thing. She'd worn them for too long. Biting her bottom lip she lifted her eyes to Corinne.

"The poor man, kind of getting mixed messages."

Sammy nodded, "I didn't even notice."

Squeezing her hands, Corinne sighed, "look you are my best friend, you are the best person I know. If you want this man, then show him that you are truly over Marcus. They say actions speak louder than words."

Later that afternoon Sammy and Eleanor got back to an empty house, and she started putting her plan in to action. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, she only had today to act, as once Christmas came then it was all about family, all about the festivities, all about the celebration. Corinne was picking Eleanor up on the way home and letting her have a sleep over. Her best friend would spoil her daughter so she didn't feel self indulgent. Not really.

Though she did feel a little guilty.

She hadn't seen Joel since breakfast time, and it had been a little awkward, he was struggling to meet her eyes and she realised she'd pushed him too hard, he was way out of his comfort zone and didn't know how to deal with that.

Her and Ellie had still been eating their breakfast when he reappeared and told her that he was heading to a town about thirty miles away to meet a business acquaintance.

"Will you be back?"

She hated that she sounded so desperate, but she really worried that she'd scared him off.

With a sad smile he nodded, "of course, I'm not about to abandon you two."

That made her feel even worse, suddenly she was a responsibility...a burden. She sounded like her mother. With a groan as she watched him leave the house, she suddenly realised that once again she'd have to visit her mother. Not something she relished.

Sammy had done her duty, fed, nursed and cleaned for her mother, then the initially raucous, then thoughtful lunch with Corinne. And now, now she was home and time was running out. Her original plan had been to cook for Joel, a quiet meal, the two of them. But the major problem was the presence of Marcus in the house, in her life...that meant they had to go somewhere else, somewhere neutral. Because if there was nothing between them there, if he didn't want her then, then she had to give up on him.

An hour later Eleanor was fed, washed, all played out and ready for an overnight stop with her Aunt Corinne. Sammy hated every night that she spent away from her daughter, but this was important, and she had literally spent maybe three nights away from her in a year. Maybe three too many, but she looked forward to a night out, just maybe she deserved that.

A knock at the door preceded the whirlwind that was Corinne bursting into her home, and Eleanor chuckled as soon as she saw her.

"Have I got GREAT news for you?"

Sammy groaned and rolled her eyes, "I have no idea what you've lined up, but I am now very nervous."

Joel was exhausted. Not physically, he'd spent the day chatting to an old college friend, then walked, for hours on the beach, but that wasn't enough to tire him. But emotionally. That was a whole different thing. He'd gone today to meet Tom as a distraction from the hell of being under the same roof as Sammy, the torment that caused. But as he was an old friend, Tom, wanted to reminisce, and of course that included Marcus. Was there a story, and anecdote or a memory that didn't include him? Apparently the answer was no.

So morose, and possibly worse than he felt leaving that morning, he returned to the house and what would probably be a confrontation with Sammy. His heart felt heavy and his head ached. He wanted to sleep, in a darkened room, switch off, pretend.

Opening the door he was greeted with silence, no shouts from Eleanor, no TV, no clanging of pots in the kitchen or gurgle of the coffee machine. He wasn't used to that, and it worried him. There were a few lights on, so he knew they were home. Was Eleanor ill? Was Sammy?

Suddenly all thoughts of his headache were gone, and tossing his jacket onto the sofa he stormed through the lounge and hit the stairs at a run.

But at the top he froze dead in his tracks, the bathroom door was open, wide open, billows of steam wafting out into the hallway. The shower was on, hot, the cubicle steamed up, but he couldn't mistake the silhouette that was so clear. Not that he'd ever set eyes on those delectable curves before, but Sammy, she fulfilled every one of his fantasies. She had her back to him, so he couldn't see her face, but she was caressing every inch of her skin with a soapy sponge...his body throbbed. Then dropping his head he rushed back downstairs as thought he'd been burned.

Sammy had never known anything as exciting as feeling Joel's eyes on her as she lathered her body in a rather over elaborate way. She didn't know what would happen IF he discovered her, but she hadn't imagined he'd run away. Drying herself she moved into her bedroom and closed the door, then she dressed for the evening. Dinner at a rather exclusive restaurant in the neighbouring town didn't call for a cocktail dress, but she wanted to dress a little specially, though after her shower scene she had no idea how Joel would react and whether he'd even speak to her, let alone come out to dinner. So she pulled on a pair of glossy leggings, a floaty top and her favourite heeled boots, then slowly made her way down stairs.

Joel was in the lounge pacing, his hand running through his hair almost manically. He didn't look up when she entered.

"Joel?"

"Did you plan that? Leaving the door open like that?"

He was upset; she'd mistimed her action, had she blown everything?

She shrugged, "I didn't know what time you'd be home." That was true.

Turning he stared at her, "I'm sorry."

Sammy stepped towards him, "I don't want you to feel sorry." His eyes dropped so she placed a hand on his arm, "Joel. Don't be angry. I've got a babysitter, and I've booked a table at the Whittled Willow, it's won some awards, it's only a few miles away...I want you to come with me."

"A romantic night out?" He asked with a snap.

Shaking her head she offered a smile, "a thank you for being so good to me, two friends. A break from here."

He stared at her, "I can't do this Sammy."

She sighed, she knew this could happen, but she'd been hoping above anything that it wouldn't. Moving to the door she grabbed her coat, "I'm going to the pub for a drink, I've a taxi booked in forty minutes. You don't have to come, but I'd like it if you did...a lot."

As she slid her arms in to it, she smiled, "I've done as much as I can to make this right. I want you Joel Edwards. I am going to the pub, but when the taxi comes it's taking me away from here. A different town, a different place." With a little ironic laugh she added, "I've even got a hotel room, I'm not coming back tonight, it's up to you what you do. But I can't do any more Joel. I can't make it any better. If you don't come...then I'll pretend this conversation hasn't happened, and we'll be friends. Until you go off on your holiday."

His face was devoid of expression as she met his eyes for the final time, and as she closed the door behind her, she connected a call to Corinne explaining to her that all that she'd planned, all that she's suggested...had failed.

The slam of the door made Joel jump. He was consumed with anger, with anxiety, he was furious that she was trying to play him so ridiculously. Yet the visions of her, naked, in that steamy shower were making him as hard as he'd ever been. Then he hated himself. He glanced almost automatically up to the shelf to beat himself up over his feelings, but where he expected to see Marcus smugly laughing back at him, he saw nothing. That picture had gone. Slowly he left the kitchen and moved in to the dining room. But there was no sign of that picture, or the one that sat on the windowsill in that room. What did that mean?

He ran a hand over his eyes, tired, stressed, then climbed the stairs, he couldn't believe that they'd all gone; this was what he'd expected. But the pictures didn't take Marcus from his mind, from being the chip on his shoulder. Would anything?

"I knew that the shower thing was too much Corinne, that's the last time I'm listening to you!" Despite her words there was no animosity in her voice, just defeat.

"He's a red blooded male, and you are a hot chick. He will defo be feeling the heat now, I assure you."

Sammy was regretting that little display of recklessness, despite all that Corinne reassured, the truth of it was, that it wasn't enough for him. Now she wasn't just risking losing Joel as a lover, she was now about to lose him as a friend through a ridiculous moment of stupidity.

"I'm not so sure, think I've driven him away Corinne."

"Hey," Corinne's voice was warm and reassuring as it came down the phone line. "If that's the case, at least you know. So what are you going to do?"

Sammy slumped back in her chair, "my taxi comes in two minutes. I guess I'll go and have a nice meal alone. Seeing as you went to such lengths to secure me both a table and a room at THE most exclusive place in the county."

She heard Corinne sigh, before she offered, "I'm sorry if my ideas caused it all to go tits up."

Sammy laughed softly; at the same time she ran her thumb over the bare ring finger on her left hand, "like you say, at least I know. Maybe I needed something like this, force his hand. At least I'm not in limbo anymore. And I KNOW that I am ready to move on."

Hearing a noise she glanced out of the pub window to see a taxi pull up. Reaching for her glass of wine she drained the last mouthful. "Sorry Corinne, my chariot awaits. I have to go. I'll send you a picture of my gourmet meal later, ok?"

"My mouth is watering at the thought. But you don't have to go darling."

"I know, but I have put on my big girl's pants and I'm taking control of my life, thanks to your encouragement."

"Enjoy babe, I love you."

As she hung up, Sammy was grateful for that, a best mate who loved her, helped her, and most of all wanted the best for her. She was luckier than a lot of people.

The black cab was across the road, and she crossed to it, waving at the driver who smiled. As her hand reached for the door handle, a voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Sammy."

She turned to the voice, and stepping out of the shadows was Joel, and she feasted on him with her greedy eyes. He was wearing a suit, crisp, smart and beautiful on him, he was tieless and his shirt was open at the throat, it meant that she could see him swallowing nervously. His damp hair fell into his eyes, but under that they were warm, familiar and assessing.

"Did you mention dinner?"

That was delivered nervously, but it made her smile, her heart pound, "amongst many things."

He grinned, "that sounds like a great start to an evening."

That made her swallow anxiously at the thought of what that meant. Mutely she gave a nod, and Joel reached for her hands. Almost instantly he looked at her quizzically, then lifted her left hand between them, his eyes staring firstly at her bare finger, then at her.

It was the first thing he noticed, suddenly Sammy realised just how much of a reminder they had been to him, the physical ties from Sammy to his best friend.

"I should have taken them off a long time ago."

He took an uneasy breath, "you sure...that you want to close that door."

She nodded, "closed and bolted."

The hand that wasn't holding her left one lifted to her cheek and he stroked it with her thumb, then his lips lowered to hers. Soft, gentle, yet charged with so much more.

The honk of the taxi pulled them apart, and they both giggled.

"Dinner," he said, his forehead resting against hers. As she nodded he reached for the door handle and they climbed inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74 11 9
A story of a hero trying to stop 'The Sanctions' from taking over the city while discovering secrets about a city.
14 0 1
Roxanne. She's a fighter and a survivor, that just trying to escape the unfortunate turns of events. She protects her family, especially her daugh...
168 0 8
Losing will help gaining. A story about two childhood friends losing contact to protect each other but fate has something else for them. What would...
148 27 27
Sam thought it was over. The nightmare she lived in high school should've stayed in the past, however the past seems to find its way into the present...