HetaOni: Italy's Story

By SilvermistAnimeLover

NOTE: Only read if you've seen HetaOni! Entirely from Italy's POV. "I thought that we had an honest chance of... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Rumors
Chapter 2: Last Hours of Peace
Chapter 3: Bonded
Chapter 4: The Thing
Chapter 5: The Allies
Chapter 6: Clocks and Memories
Chapter 8: Hidden Demons
Chapter 9: Terror
Chapter 10: The Mirror
Chapter 11: Trust
Chapter 12: The Room
Chapter 13: Origins
Chapter 14: Adelchi
Chapter 15: Encouragement of the Damned
Chapter 16: Sacrifice
Chapter 17: Price of Freedom (Epilogue)

Chapter 7: Pain and Struggles

3.2K 94 352
By SilvermistAnimeLover

Italy's POV:

My golden eyes snap open in panic, as my body instinctively stills. I listen intently. America... Canada... France... Prussia... Germany... Russia... China... England... Japan. Wait, where're Romano and Spain!? I panic internally a bit, before realizing that they aren't here yet. I let out a sigh of relief. Good... Everyone's alive. That's good... I take note of the time. 6:30 AM... I got about 4 hours of sleep. That's actually pretty good. I know the others won't start waking up for at least two more hours. Even the normally early-risers are too exhausted to get up yet. Instead, I silently get out of bed, and head to the kitchen. I then pull out my iPod, and put in my earbuds. I listen to a few songs from Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Five Finger Death Punch, and Linkin Park as I make some breakfast for everyone.

I've gone deaf many times before, so I know how to be absolutely silent without having to listen, as such, I don't wake anyone up while cooking. In fact, as predicted, they don't wake up until about 8:30. By this point, I have a wide array of breakfast foods from everyone's home nation laid out on the table. I then remove the little handy spell that blocks smells from a specific area. It's always entertaining to watch everyone rise from their beds like zombies once the scent of their favorite breakfast hits their nose.

Within minutes of removing the spell, everyone starts stumbling their way, half-asleep, to the table. China is the first to realize that food shouldn't just appear out of thin air—some nations have already started eating without thinking about where it came from—and looks around, bleary-eyed, searching for someone who looks awake enough to prepare food. Eventually, his eyes land on me.

"Did you make this for us, Italy?" He asks, still too sleepy to add surprise to his tone.

"Si. I hope you all enjoy it~" I state, as the others stop.

"Wait! You made all this yourself?! Mon Cher! It must've taken hours!" France cries out.

"Hai... I do hope you got some sleep last night, Itary-kun. But thank you for the food. Itadakimasu..." Japan then starts eating, greatly enjoying his meal.

"You did sleep, right?" China presses, making sure I got some rest.

"Si. I had a nightmare that woke me up early, so I decided to make everyone breakfast while I was up, Viva~!" They seem to calm down a bit at that, and go back to enjoying their meals.

"Ah~ I did not know that you knew how to make Russian dishes, дa?" Russia says, pleasantly surprised.

"Oui~ You have the wonderful makings of a marvelous French chef~" France compliments. One by one, the nations all compliment me on my cooking, saying how it 'tastes like home' and whatnot. I just smile, glad that they're all enjoying their favorite dishes, or at least their favorite dishes that are doable in the Mansion. Unfortunately for me, pasta falls under the 'missing ingredients' list. So I settle with some cornetto and a cup of instant coffee. I can't remember what real coffee tastes like anymore. Shame. I hope I'll get some again, one day. If fratello saw me drinking instant, he'd have a conniption fit.

Once our breakfast is done, I gather all the dishes and bring them to the sink, fully intending to wash them myself along with the pots and other cooking supplies I used which has been sitting in hot soapy water while we enjoyed our meal.

"No you don't, aru. You cooked; we'll take care of the clean up. Japan will look over your ankle, wrist, and bruises for me." China says as he and France literally push me out of the kitchen before I can protest. Huh, I guess this is one of those times, then. The food must've been really good this time. Glad I could make it right again.

I walk over to Japan, who's patiently waiting for me. "Arigatou, again, for the food, Itary-kun. It was delicious." He says with a smile.

"Ve~ Glad I could make it right~ I was so worried that I'd get someone's dish wrong!"

"Iie. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that it was perfect." There are nods around the room. I can't help but beam in pride. I don't usually cook breakfast for everyone like this, as it tends to waste supplies, but I felt the need to do so today.

Japan has me sit down on my bed again, as he looks at my ankle and wrist. "It appears that Canada-san's magic has done the trick." He says, "Your wrist and ankle are healed, as has most of the bruising."

"Ve~ So I can fight with my right wrist again?" I clarify, not wanting to get in trouble.

"Hai."

"Grazie~ Oh, I was wondering... Do you think we could go back down to the Tunnel? I think I saw something there when I was fighting the Thing, but I didn't have the chance to pick it up..."

"Hai. I'll go see if everyone's ready."

"Ja. I think I should remove whatever tripped me yesterday; we don't want anyone else falling down like that." Germany points out.

"Yay~ Thanks, you guys~" I say with a large grin. He simply nods his head and goes to check with everyone.

About an hour later shows all 10 of us heading down to the Basement again. Only Germany, Japan, Prussia, Russia, America and I enter the Tunnel, while the rest keep watch above. I pretend to search while Germany tells the others how it felt more like a hand than a vine. The entire time, I'm listening intently for Romano and Spain's footsteps. I made sure to make everyone wait long enough that the timing should be just about right...

Aha! Two sets of footsteps—one set happy, yet weighted down with worry, while the other set was flat out worried, frustrated, and annoyed—reach my ears.

~They're here, Feli. I'll lead them to you.~ Silver announces.

Ve~ Grazie, Silver! I reply, before bending down and picking up the Metal Piece I placed last night.

"Oh! Here's what I saw... A piece of metal." I say, showing it to the others.

"It doesn't look like much..." America says, a little disappointed.

"Ve~ It might be important, though. I'll keep it for now." I say, pocketing it. Before anyone could say anything—and I know Germany was about to suggest that he hold onto it for now—Romano and Spain finally reach the opening. I step into the patch of sunlight just as they reach it.

"OI! VENEZIANO! I finally found you! Do you have any fucking idea how worried I've been?!" Romano shouts, making me wince. Geez! Tone it down a little, will ya?! I think to myself.

"Wait, Romano?! Spain!? Dude, what're you guys doing here?!" America calls out, as the other 9 nations—those in the Tunnel Room heard the commotion and came to make sure we were all right—also step into the patch of light, so they could see as well.

"I've been having strange dreams for a few days now. Of you guys being chased around by some weird mutated scone or some shit like that."

"See, Iggy?! I told you it was yours!" America taunts.

"Bloody Hell, it's not mine!"

"I thought they were just dreams at first," He starts. "Imagine my shock when I'm attacked by the same damned Thing that's been chasing you bastards around! It fucking killed me with one swipe! It took me hours to wake up! I'm still healing, damnit! After that, I couldn't just leave my little brother here. You lot can stay for all I care, but Veneziano's coming with me." Romano finishes.

"You were attacked, aru?! You mean it came out?!" China cries out in shock, the fact registering with the others as well.

Hmm... I wonder what they'd do if they knew it was my fault that it was able to come out?

"I'm coming down!" Romano says, but Spain gently pushes him out of the way. "Let me, Roma~ I'll make sure the ropes aren't rotten!" Spain says, already starting to climb down.

"Ah! Spain-san, wait a moment!" Japan cries out, remembering that the rope ladder is burned halfway down. Unfortunately for Spain, the warning came too late. He fell the rest of the way down, and landed awkwardly on his butt.

"Ai caramba! That's a long fall!" He says, "Wait up there, Roma, while I find a ladder or something for you."

"If there was a fucking ladder, do you think they'd still be trapped in here?! Idiot!" Romano calls down, already starting down the ladder. He, too, falls down, but this time our good friend Prussia is waiting to catch him. He ends up catching him bridal-style.

"Are you okay, Italy's Brother?!" Prussia asks, concerned.

"BASTARD! LET ME DOWN!" Romano yells once he realizes his position. Spain only chuckles, as Prussia obeys his wish. Romano then makes a b-line for me.

"You IDIOTA!" He starts, "Why the fuck are you here?! You hate places like this! HUH?! Because of you, I have to come and save your sorry fucking ass! You know what it's like?! The others are on standby ready for us to blow this joint, so let's just hurry the fuck up, and get outta here." Romano finishes.

You'd think he'd be a little more worried about being here... I think privately, as my eyes dart to a Time-Shard of a dead Spain and Romano not even a foot away from where Romano's standing.

The twelve of us head back to the Safe Room, and once there, dig into some delicious lunch, courtesy of China.

"Italien." Germany says, after we finish eating. "May I have a look at what you found earlier? I'd like to see it in the light."

I sigh and take out the Metal Piece that I picked up earlier. "Hey!" Romano suddenly yells, once he sees it. "I found something like that outside." He says. My breath hitches. OUTSIDE?! THE FUCK!? Since when are the Metal Pieces hidden OUTSIDE?! This Loop is out to get me, I swear! I angered some prankster God or something, didn't I?! Is this revenge for all those pranks I pulled in my youth?! First the ceiling, now OUTSIDE?! I mentally weep at my misfortune.

"Lucky for you, I picked it up... For some reason, it looked familiar."

Oh shit. Don't remember, don't remember, DON'T REMEMBER! I chant over and over again in my mind. If Romano remembered, that wouldn't be good. He's likely to remember the more... confusing and suspicious things first...

Romano pulls out the third and final Metal Piece. Damn. I don't usually find all three pieces by Day 3...

"Oh? Look they fit like a puzzle!" Russia says, grabbing both pieces and putting them together. Indeed, they fit perfectly, but it's painfully obvious now that there's a third piece required.

"It looks like some sort of key..." England says.

"Key? What does it go to? I thought we unlocked all the doors in this place!" America complains.

"Perhaps le front door?" France asks, as China shakes his head. "No. It's too big."

"Then what?" Prussia asks, "The Awesome Me is Awesomely puzzled..."

"And even if we did know where it went, we still have a third piece to find..." Canada points out, ever the voice of reason.

"Oh. I found this when I was first exploring. I forgot about it, actually." I smile, pretending to be embarrassed as I pull out the third Metal Piece. The nations blink, but shrug it off, believing my story. It's mostly true. It's just the other Metal Piece that I found while exploring, and I didn't forget about it...

Russia puts the third piece with its brothers, and holds up the now completed key to the Fifth Floor. "But we are still needing to find where it goes..." Russia trails off. I mentally smirk. I know the perfect way to feed them this hint.

"Ve~ Germany~! I'm hungry~"

"What?! You just ate!"

"But I want a snack! Something light, then? How about Japan's food! He eats light! Something like a rice ball or a mochi!"

"Nani?! Mochi! Oh no! I completely forgot!" Japan blurts out.

"Huh? What's wrong, dude?"

"There's a mochi stuck in the wall on the fourth floor... I promised it I'd come back to help it, but I completely forgot..."

"HAHAHA! I'M THE HERO! I'll help you get it out! Just show me where it is, my man!"

"Hmm... Maybe it's hungry, too?" I suggest, going over to the food containers. I grab some lettuce and one of England's Scones. Seriously, who let him into the kitchen?! Every freaking loop! Well, at least it scares the mochi enough to get unstuck from the wall...

It's agreed that Japan, Russia, England, America, and I head up to help the mochi. It's a miracle with how loud England and America are being that the Things haven't found us yet. I think to myself. I wonder how much easier it would be to escape if the Things were deaf... Maybe I should try it next time... I just need to find the ears... I entertain myself with half-fantasies of deaf Things while we journey up to the Attic.

"Wow. What is this revolutionary creature?!" America exclaims, making me sigh. It's a wonder he hasn't tried to eat it yet.

"Just pull it out, will you?" England says, not liking the little Amerimochi, as I call it.

Why do you call it that? Amerimochi?

Because if America was a mochi, that's what he'd look like. I guarantee it. Plus, it acts just like him. It even has the same ahoge.

The same what?!

Ahoge. That's what he always calls it at least. I'm talking about his cowlick.

Oh, why didn't you just fucking say so, then!? God! So fucking complicated.

"Nope, sorry little dude; you're stuck in there pretty good." America says, pulling me back to the present. Damn! Yang, stop distracting me, damnit!

Me? You distract yourself well enough; you don't need my help with that shit.

"Ve~ Maybe it's hungry~?" I offer, holding out the lettuce. It tries to reach for it, but can't seem to work up the energy to get there. I then hold out the scone with an evil glint in my eye. It squeals like a dying pig as it tries everything in its power to get away, actually managing to get itself unstuck in the process, and running—if it can be called that—over to America. I put the scone away, and hold out the lettuce again. It sniffs it cautiously, before snatching it from my hand.

"See? I told you it was hungry~"

"Well done, Itary-kun. It seems you were right, after all..." Japan admits.

"Hey, dudes! Look at this! I think I found where the key goes!" America calls out, pointing to the wall where the mochi was stuck.

"Oh? You are right, Amerika." Russia says, as he pulls out the key. Why does he even have it in the first place?

He inserts it into the wall, sliding it in with relative ease, before turning it. Click! Then the Mansion starts to rumble. I tense, ready for battle, only to remember that we don't typically get attacked here. But I can't help it. Whenever we do this, I feel like a sitting duck. It lets all the Things in the Mansion know exactly where we are.

"Woah! Dude, what just happened?!" America shouts out.

"How the hell should I know?!" England shoots back.

"Uhh... Minna...?" Japan calls, "You might want to look at this..."

We head out of the Attic to see a new staircase. "Wait, you mean this place is bigger?!" America shouts out, making me wince again. Damnit, Alfred, be QUIET! Unless of course, you want the Things to fucking find us! I so badly want to snap at him. But mentally will have to do for now.

"Well, what're we waiting for?! Let's go exploring! HAHAHA!" America makes a move to head up the stairs, but England grabs him by the back of his shirt like a puppy.

"Honestly, America. Don't you ever learn? Let's head back to the others first, and then we'll all head up together." England says. Thank you England! Maybe next time I should make up a list of "reasons why splitting up is a bad idea." Perhaps they'd actually listen for once. Especially if I have pictures to go along with it.

Once we're back in the Safe Room, the others question us on what we found. I almost laugh when China tries to cook the mochi, and Japan's hands twitch, as if he were holding chopsticks; he also gets this kinda nostalgic look in his eye, as if he's remembering what mochi tastes like. He even drools a bit! It's always entertaining~!

"Dudes! Come on! We totally found where that key went to, and it unlocked this super awesome hidden staircase to the fifth floor! We gotta go exploring!" America shouts. I just sigh, already tired and ready for a good night's sleep. It would be so much easier if they hadn't found the Metal Pieces. I could've gotten the mochi out myself, gotten the Key to the Front Door, and then gotten the other stuff, broken the rest of the clocks, and we'd be outta here by tomorrow. If we actually managed to escape, that is. Damn. I hope we get out this ti—no. No hope. Hope is nothing but a fool's dream. It's a double-edged sword that's been dulled towards your enemies and sharpened towards yourself. Hope will get me nothing but more pain. I squish down all hope within me, rather surprised at how much had been building up.

"Itary-kun?" Japan asks, waving a hand in front of my face. Damnit! I spaced out again!

"Ve~ Sorry, Japan~ What was that?"

"Are you coming? We're headed to the fifth floor."

"Si~" Romano gives me a strange look. Sorry, Lovi... I'm not letting you into my mind... It's too risky... And I'm not taking the chance of you meeting Yang.

Aww~ Why not? I'd love to meet your brother.

I'm sure you would. But I don't trust you to keep your damned mouth shut.

Meh. Whatever. Stupid fucking...

"Woah! You weren't kidding!" China exclaims when he sees the new staircase.

"Well, come on!" America says, not bothering to wait for everyone else.

"America! Wait up! You can't just—!" England stops mid-sentence when he sees the room. Bloody handprints litter the walls, as well as claw marks. Old dried-up puddles of blood lay throughout the room. It's one of the only rooms in the Mansion that is hardly affected by the reversal of time. The scary part? All the blood in this room belongs to me. The puddles are usually from times that I've died, either to get the Front Door key for the others, or simply because I was ambushed unexpectedly when alone. The handprints are usually from me trying to make it back to my friends alive, but I didn't always make it. The slashes are from my fights with the Things. All in all, it's one of my least favorite rooms in this hellhole.

Everyone gasps when they enter the room, most of them covering their mouths or plugging their noses. I do suppose it smells a bit in here. Wow. I've gotten so used to the smell and sight of blood that I hardly notice it anymore. That's kinda scary... I pretend to cover my nose as well, but it's hard to act surprised when it's your own blood that you're staring at. Well, for me it is, given the situation. Luckily, nobody's looking in my direction, so they don't see my facial reaction.

"Wha... What happened here?!" America finally chokes out. Oh, that's right. This is the first time they've seen blood in this Mansion... I completely forgot...

"It looks like a massacre, aru..."

"Holy fucking Hell!" Romano breathes. He's a Mafioso boss like me, so the fact that even he thinks this is bad says something.

"Mon Cher! What... in the world...?" France can't form a coherent sentence.

"I am thinking that this is not good sign, дa?" Russia says. Though he looks unbothered on the outside, I can tell that he's apprehensive.

"Well... we need to push forward. The Front Door Key might be in here somewhere..." America trails off, leading the way forward without a trace of the excitement he had just minutes ago. Well, I suppose seeing a room filled with blood would have that effect... Just as we're entering the next room, I see Romano staring intently at a handprint by the door.

"Ve~ Fratello? What's wrong?" I ask him.

"Nothing... I just feel... never mind..." He then walks past me, into the Blood Clock Room.

"This is so much better." I hear Canada remark under his breath. Nobody but me hears him, but I have to say, I like his dry sense of humor.

"It's a dead-end, aru." China says.

"Maybe not... Look at this!" Prussia says, gesturing to the picture of the full moon with an X over it in blood. I have to say, I enjoy the little puzzle I put there. I'm just glad I don't have to put it up every time, because then I'd need the Metal Pieces at the beginning of each loop, and the others might get suspicious of me carrying around a large picture of a full moon with an X over it in my own blood...

Gee, ya think?

I don't even bother to acknowledge Yang. I end up standing on the 12 again. I always seem to stand there. It takes them awhile to figure it out, but eventually, with minimal shock, they get it.

"Oh! A door has opened. Let us go check it out, дa?" Russia says, leading the way this time.

"AHHH!" France cries out upon entering the room. The others soon find what made him freak out so badly. The room is divided in half by iron bars. The part with tile, where we're standing, and where there's a door on the other end of the walkway from us, and the side with red carpet, where there are roughly 30 Things or so of all different shapes and sizes walking or hovering about.

"Dudes, let's just hurry past here before they notice us!" America whispers quietly. Huh, didn't know he could do that. He sounds like his brother now.

With hurried footsteps, the 12 of us enter the Blood Number Room.

"Seriously? What the fuck is up with this place and blood?!" Romano whisper-shouts. It's a talent of his.

"Uhh, guys?" Prussia calls our attention, "You might wanna look at this... There's a weird-assed Thing in here... And it's really slow..." We all turn to look at the Slow Thing.

Ve... It may be slow, but it packs a hell of a lot of power.

"Japan!" I cry out, once I see the key behind it. Thank God. I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't here this time. The Front Door Key has consistently been in this singular location for over 5,000 loops. I'm not sure if I've been pushing my luck or what, but I'm relieved to know that it is here.

"Hai!" He cries out with a firm nod. Immediately, I run forward, the Thing slowly moves towards me, and while part of me—a very slight part of me that mostly died in Loop 189—feels foolish and silly for running when simply walking would outrun this Thing, I know that time is of the essence, and that taking too long will release those 30-some-odd Things into this tiny little room. I shiver strongly. It'd be Loop 10,473 all over again... Forbidden Loop 3...

As it is, I'm trying my best to avoid looking at the horrific scene. Loop 10,473, AKA Forbidden Loop 3—the third worst loop in the Mansion thus far—occurred in this room, the Blood Number Room. It was the goriest, most gruesome loop yet. By the end of it, I couldn't even tell which body parts belonged to which of my friends. And the Things just left me there, injured, exhausted, and worst of all, alive. Ironically, Japan didn't die... He's usually the first, but this time he was the only one but me left alive, and that just hurt me more. Seeing him so traumatized. Because he's the one I feel closest to... The shock of what had happened in that loop was enough that he'd developed a mild case of amnesia, and went mute. He'd died just a few days later, when he couldn't cry out for my help. Only once has he ever received a Memory Clock Flashback of Forbidden Loop 3... He couldn't handle it... Even the idea that it was a possibility... He threw up on the spot, and tried to gouge his eyes out. It was terrifying... It's why I break the clock in the Attic myself. It holds that memory for Japan.

"Got it!" Japan yells, holding up the key.

"Let's go! It's likely booby-trapped!" I yell, not really caring if they find it overly suspicious at the moment. The others, thankfully, heed my warning, and we all book it. We reach the fourth floor just as I hear the faint click of the Things being released. I guess this means we're in the Final Stretch, huh? I muse to myself silently, as we make it back into the Safe Room.

"Japan! What's it say, aru?" China asks almost immediately.

Japan takes out the key, and looks at the etching. He gives us a large grin. "It says 1F, Front Door." Everyone cheers happily, glad that we're finally getting out of here. It's been a long 3 days—2 for some—after all, but I can't allow myself to be naïve enough to believe that this might be the real end. I can't let my guard down. There's still much to do. I'll have to take care of it all tonight.

France, China, and I make dinner for everyone. It's nice to cook beside two others who appreciate the wonders of actual food, unlike England. Honestly, he's nice and all, but his food is so bland!

"Why are we eating now?! We should be out the door, headed home!" America complains.

"Because, you bloody git, everyone's tired and hungry. We'll escape tomorrow." England snaps back. Ve~ It appears that 12 hours of sleep wasn't quite enough for everyone last night...

"So this whole breaking clocks thing fixes time?" Romano suddenly asks as we're eating.

"Yes. At least, that's what we've found out." Canada replies, happy to note that he's now noticed when he speaks up. I wonder if that's a human thing, or because he's been solving all the puzzles for us...?

"So do we need to break them all in order to escape?" Romano inquires. Of course he'd bring that up.

"Hmm? Well, we've never really thought about it. We've just broken any clocks we happened across." England says thoughtfully.

"Ve~ It should be fine. You got here, right, fratello? You and Spain. You guys had no trouble getting here, so we should have no trouble getting out." I say, using logic that I know will appeal to most of the nations.

"True... I guess we'll see tomorrow." Romano sighs tiredly as he finishes his food.

About an hour after we all finish eating, the others fall into bed—Germany made two more beds around Loop 189, so there are 12 beds in the Safe Room now. I wait until they're all sound asleep, before pulling my Journal out of my pocket. Using it as a focus, I speak in the Language of the Ryuuzu. "Sleep" I command. A white glow surrounds the 11 other nations, as I lock them into slumber until either I release them, or die. Whichever comes first.

The Language of the Ryuuzu is a powerful thing. I've found that anything spoken in that language, with magical intent, casts a spell. It's always a command. It all depends on what I say, and the intent I have when I say it. If I were to say something like, burn, I can, depending on my intent, burn something to ash, or just char it a bit. If I say something like Flame, I could create a small flame, if that is my intent, or a fireball the size of the world. Of course, the more powerful the command and intent, the more magic it takes out of me. So I use it sparingly. Especially since using this kind of Old Magick always takes up more energy than 'modern' magic like Carbonara or Pescatore. But the Old Magicks are always stronger. They're more reliable. Which is why I'm using it now.

I can't risk the others waking up to find me gone. Not when I'm so damn close! I shake my head. No need for distracting thoughts now. I silently strap on my sword, and head down to the Tatami Room on the first floor, silent as death. I don't want to risk the Things hearing me now.

Already time, huh? Though I know I shouldn't hope, I can't keep the thought from crossing my mind. It's strange to think... What if this is really the last time I ever set foot in the Annex? In the Mansion? It's all I've been working towards for millennia, yet I've never thought about what I'd do after I escaped. I've seen cases of PTSD in humans, which I undoubtedly have, but... Is it different for a nation? Will it all seem like a bad dream when we're out and my nation is returned to me? Or will everything else seem... fake? I really don't know...

I take a deep breath, and silently let it out. Okay... into the Annex we go...I descend into the darkness below. The silence is deafening, ringing in my ears, as they strain to hear any little movement. The Annex always makes me jumpy. My own silent footsteps seem to crash and echo around me in the unnatural stillness.

First thing's first. I need to break the clock down here. I carefully head straight to the Annex Library, where England has gone blind on many occasions. I reach into a bookcase, and pull out the clock. With a deep breath—the Annex Clock is typically worse than the other clocks—I snap it in two.

**~Memory Clock~**

I walk along the strangely familiar hallways of the mansion. That weird Thing found us again, and separated everyone. I'm walking with the Japanese man, called Japan, for some reason, and the Chinese man called China. Do I really know these people? They call me 'Italy'. This journal of mine seems to confirm that as my name, but I also refer to myself as Feliciano Vargas. Are they both me? Who am I, really? Why are we named after countries?

These people don't seem to fear death. It makes me feel so weak and cowardly in comparison. The blonde with glasses, America—seriously, why are they named after nations?! It makes no sense! What were their parents thinking?!—is freakishly strong, and the blonde with thick eyebrows seems confident in his magic. Since when is magic even real?! But this journal claims that I, too, can use it.

"Italy?" China asks.

"Yes, China?" I ask, trying to be informal with him, but not quite sure how. How am I supposed to avoid suspicion with these 9 people, when I don't even remember them?!

According to the journal, this is loop 212. I don't know quite what that means, but I've apparently been looping back in time to attempt to save these people. According to the journal, two more should come soon. Apparently, I have a twin brother named Romano. Italy Romano. If Italy is our last name, then why does everyone call me by it? Perhaps they're closer to Romano than they are me? Isn't it some sort of Asian custom or something to call acquaintances and strangers by their last names? Maybe they're all from Asia? And I'm not actually that close to them? Should I call them by their last names? Wait! I don't know their last names! ACK!

"Itary-kun?" Japan asks, once more snapping me out of my hectic thoughts. He gives me a worried look.

"Ve~ I'm okay, Japan~" I say, the 've' just popping out. I hope I always did that. They don't seem to be completely convinced, but shrug it off.

*The scene suddenly changes, we're in the second floor bedroom.*

I sigh. Somehow, I've managed to keep them alive this far. But why is Germany insisting that we go to this bedroom? I highly doubt that it's any safer than any other room in this house of horrors. I glance at Romano, my supposed twin brother. We do look almost exactly alike. It's kinda freaky, really. It's like looking into a mirror, but seeing a reflection that's not quite yours.

"What's wrong, Veneziano?" Romano asks. That's another thing. He calls me 'Veneziano.' So I have three names now? Joy.

"Ve~ Nothing, Romano~" I say cheerily. He gives me an odd look. Crap! Did I say something wrong? Am I supposed to call him Italy?! SHIT!

He looks like he's about to say something, when Germany motions us into the closet. A closet? Seriously?! The crap!? These people are bat-shit-crazy! Did they escape from a mental asylum?! They actually believe that they're the nations they're named after, for starters, believing myself to actually be Italy! Really?! They're nuts! And now this, Germany character, if that really is his name, is telling us to go into a closet of all things?! The fuck?! I'm the last one to head in, wary of this supposed 'safe place'. I shut the door behind me and lock it. It's a knee-jerk reaction to do so, so it must be important.

We head into a more spacious room. What?! A staircase in a closet?! What kind of logic is this?! We then head into a dark area. We trip and stumble over each other, that Russia guy asking who's on his foot in a really childishly creepy way, before someone turns on the light.

I stare, shocked at the room. It has beds, a kitchen, a table, and what I'm told is a bathroom. It looks safe... it feels safe. Something tickles the back of my mind, but I shove it away. A headache starts up, but I ignore it; I'm used to headaches.

"Aiyaa! You built this, aru?!" That China guy,—girl?—I think his—her?—real name is actually Yao—that's what the Journal says his other name is, anyways, and it's more realistic than 'China', though I'm sure there are people with that name (Isn't China a girl's name? Is Yao a guy or a girl? I can't tell...) says.

"Nein. It was already here when I found it." 'Germany', I think it's actually Ludwig, says, blushing at the praise. Why are they praising him? He didn't make it, right? How could he? By himself?! There's no way! We're only human, after all. My headache pounds a bit harder. I can't hide my wince.

"Itary-kun?" Kiku asks me.

"Oi, Veneziano? What's wrong?" Romano looks at me worriedly. Damn! The Journal tells me how to block the mental link between myself and Romano, but it's easier said than done. I must've accidentally let up and let him feel my headache!

"Damn!" Romano curses, holding his head as the others look at him worriedly. "Veneziano's got one hell of a migraine!" Romano explains, his own head pounding.

"Aiyaa! Let me see, aru!" Yao says, coming over to me. "Japan! Tend to Romano." Kiku nods his head.

"Italy? Look at me." His voice sounds far away. My vision is tunneled... cracked. It's like I'm looking through broken glass, everything is fractured and tinged in shadows. All sound is muffled, and I feel like I'm not quite in my body. My headache continues to worsen. I'm vaguely aware of someone laying me down on a bed of some sort; muffled voices muddily register in my mind, weighed down with worry for me. A name pops into my head. Holy Rome. Who's that? Isn't that the name of an old nation? Grandpa Rome. Why would I have a grandfather named Rome?

I try to tune out the muffled voices. They're too loud. They make my headache worse. Then, an image pops into my head, clear as day. It's a box of tomatoes. And just like that, my head explodes.

I start screaming, clawing at my face in an attempt to remove the pain. IT HURTS! Pressure on my arms and legs and chest keep my hands from their intended targets. Being restrained only makes it worse. I claw, kick, scream. The pain is immense. The memories flow into my head, everything from my birth as Northern Italy with my brother Romano, Southern Italy, to Grandpa Rome, and Holy Rome. His death. Their deaths. The Wars. The horrible, horrible, wars. World War I and WWII. The terror and pain and death. I relive everything. Including every single one of the 211 Loops in the Mansion thus far. It feels like millennia before the pain finally fades and I slip into the darkness, tormented by nightmares of wars and deaths long past.

**~End of Memory Clock~**

Shakily, I fend off the lingering effects of the memory, willing myself to put it in the back of my mind. Though my headache feels about a million times worse. Okay... That was the last clock in the Mansion.

I make my way back the way I came, hanging a right immediately after exiting the Annex Library, entering the Annex Lever Room. I'm the only one who knows the true purpose for the lever in this room... I grasp the red handle, and twist it counterclockwise, so that the handle itself lines up with the vertical slot, and push it into the wall. There's a click; a pause; and finally, a doorway appears in the wall next to the lever. I step through the doorway into a room darker than black, like ink. Even my night-vision eye sees nothing. Feeling along the wall to my right, I find the light switch.

The room is instantly flooded with light—not enough to blind me, but just enough to be able to make out the details of the room—though the darkness still clings to the walls, like serpents waiting to strike. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were snakes from Hell down here.

There's clock painted in blood on the floor. It's different from the Blood Clock Room on the 5th floor. For one thing, the numbers are all in roman numerals, and there are clock hands drawn to depict midnight. Another difference is that the clock border—the circle part—is actually drawn as well. It's also much more... detailed, with actual designs etched into the blood; the written Language of the Ryuuzu spelling out words and phrases that only I can read. There's also a small circle of red marble encrusted with bloodstained gemstones resting in the center of the crimson clock. I can hardly tell what stones they once were. They're covered with so much blood that they all look like dull rubies.

I make my way over to the marble circle—which is just big enough to stand in comfortably. Only the Ryuuzu can use this room. Anyone else would find themselves at a dead end. Perhaps literally.

I grasp my Journal, and start chanting in the Language of the Ryuuzu. I follow the chant written around the clock; it doesn't have a translation into any known human language. It simply is.

As I chant, the words around the clock start to light up gold, and I start to glow deep red, the color of blood. It reflects off the walls, the floor, and the marble. The Blood Clock and the Crimson Marble start to glow softly as well, as two doorways open up before me, on the wall opposite of where I came in. When the spell is done, I open my eyes again; golden orbs briefly flash crimson, as the power of the Ryuuzu fades back into my core, waiting to be called upon again.

The doorway in front of me, where the midnight stricken clock hands point, leads to the Grandfather Clock. The accursed doorway that I've gone through countless times before; both in dream and reality.

But this time, I head for the smaller door on the right. It's an unassuming door, really; a simple, typical modern door. It doesn't creak as I open it. I brace myself for the flood of light I know is coming. I allow my eyes to adjust to the light before I step through. I've made that mistake before... Ouch. The room is well lit, making it feel rather comfortable, normal, even.

I know better, though. It appears to be a simple Master Bedroom—The Master Bedroom. It has a King sized bed on the wall opposite of the door, a nightstand next to the bed, a dresser against the right wall, a wardrobe against the left, a walk-in closet on the other side of the wardrobe, and a bathroom on the wall to my right, next to the dresser. Nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, if it wasn't for the cold abandoned feeling, it might even be a nice bedroom. The walls are a creamy white color, with extravagant scrollwork etched into all the mahogany furniture. The fireplace in the wall opposite of the bed—the same wall with the door I'm standing in—is accompanied by two luxurious reading chairs, and a small couch. A vanity mirror sits against the wall to my right, near the walk-in closet.

The main color theme of the room is red and cream. I idly think of Canada, but shake it off—the color theme of the room is more of a deep crimson red, like blood, than a red, red like Canada's flag.

Besides, comparing this room to Canada's flag is an insult to Matthew, damnit!

I sigh, and walk over to the nightstand. Plucking a specific pen from the cup on the desk as I walk by, I unscrew it so I'm holding only the ink tube. It should be noted that the ink tube has a slightly odd shape, as if it's been warped by heat slightly, not something that can be easily replicated.

Opening the drawer of the nightstand and carefully removing its contents and placing them on the bed, I crouch down and find a tiny little hole, just large enough to insert the ink tube. It acts as a key. Using any other object, ink tube, or method would spell certain death; even for me. As I push the tube up, the now-empty drawer's fake bottom starts to lift up. I grab the heavy Iron Key from the hidden compartment, and replace the fake bottom carefully, leaving the pen and its parts sitting on the nightstand.

Immediately, I jump up, drawing my blade, and falling in the familiar battle-ready position. I know what comes next. Not a second later, a Thing appears from the closet, but it's different from the Things we've fought so far. Of course, I'm not the least bit surprised. I've fought these types of Things before.

It's more lithe, and agile, with a long tail that sports a bladed edge dripping with poison. Its normal grey coloration is still there, but with thin purple stripes (like Tony the Tiger on the Frosted Flakes cereal box... Yang! Okay, bad analogy...), warning me that its claws and fangs are also toxic and poisonous. I call it the Poison Thing. It's not overly creative, but it's descriptive enough for me. Just one little cut will spell certain death for any of the other nations. I, myself, can only take three hits before I'm beyond saving. But it's the fangs that I really have to watch out for. One bite, and I'll die in less than 3 hours—painfully. The venom in the fangs is much more potent than the poison in the claws and tail.

If I were to open the fake bottom on the drawer in any other way, then about 30 of the Poison Things will come and attack me. I'd be dead before I could get back to the Clock Room.

The Thing charges, about 8 times faster than the normal Things. I block the tail with my blade, and swiftly dodge the claws. I'm forced to duck and roll out of the way of a follow up attack of fangs and tail, before I use my full speed to dash around it, slicing its back open. I get some distance between us as it recovers, and when it charges again, I dash at full speed, using my momentum to lob its head off. Somehow, I escape without a scratch. Phew! That's done. I hate the Elemental Things.

Yeah, yeah, let's just get going already, Ying! I'm fucking bored out of my damned mind! Come on!

Yang, you know as well as I do what awaits us out there...

Yeah, so? Let me in on a bit of the action, why don't ya?

Why don't I? There are three reasons: One, I'm never letting you have control again. Two: I'm much more experienced at fighting than you, and as such, we have a higher chance for survival if I do the fighting for us. Three: because you're annoying as hell, and I say so.

Fuck you.

Not in a million years.

I cut off our argument, as I step back into the Crimson Clock Room. I stand at the ready as about 8 Things stand before me, yet unaware of my presence. 3 are normal Things; I can take care of those rather easily, but the remaining five? There are 2 Fire Things, 1 Ice Thing, 1 Earth Thing, and one Lightning Thing. The Earth Thing shouldn't be that much of a challenge, so long as it stays above ground. The Fire Things are only slightly stronger than the Earth Things are, so while they'll be a bit harder, it's still doable. Okay, calm down. They haven't noticed me yet, somehow. Recap time. Look for the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy.

Fire Things can create and breathe fire. Kinda like a dragon, only scarier... and uglier. Much, much, uglier. Their claws and fangs are super-heated, and will instantly cauterize any wound that they make. Even just a scrape can become a severe burn if I'm not careful.

The Ice Things, on the other hand, can cause severe frostbite if the wound is left untreated for too long, and they also have the annoying ability to slow down my movements and joints if I let myself get hit by their attacks too often. So avoid that one.

Then there's the Earth Things. They're rather annoying, seeing as they can easily tunnel through even the toughest of rock and earth with the ease and grace of a deadly shark through water. They're extremely sensitive to vibrations in the ground and changes in air currents, instead of sound like the other Things. It's a miracle in and of itself that it hasn't noticed me, yet.

Finally, we have the most annoying, cumbersome, and dangerous type of Thing. The Lightning Things can move on par with my fastest speed when I'm in top health, which isn't often these days. So normally, they're faster than me. Despite my name for them, they can't actually move at the speed of light or sound, but it sure as hell seems that way sometimes. They, too, have blades on their tails but they're jagged instead of smooth. Their claws, fangs, and blades conduct electricity like a bitch. One too many consecutive hits, and I could be temporarily paralyzed for a few seconds, which is plenty of time for it to kill me, or my friends.

Okay, so plan of action... Earth Thing first; It'll be able to alert the other Things to my location. It's also closest to where I'm standing. Win-win. Don't come across those that often anymore.

I calm my mind, and launch the first attack, alerting the Things to my presence. I'm able to get a lucky shot in, and kill the Earth Thing with one blow.

The other Things ready themselves for an attack, but faster than even the Lightning Thing, I quickly start chanting a spell, and finish with a cry of "Tacere!" The whitish-blue light radiates throughout the room.

This spell stops the movements of all but the caster for a short time—the time depending on how much magic I put into it. I have roughly 8 seconds before they unfreeze.

The spell is rather difficult. It's a stronger version of the one England used to freeze the Thing in loop 189 and save my life. It's stronger in that it can freeze multiple enemies, rather than just one, and it requires no spell circles—though it's a hell of a lot easier to perform with them. The smaller the number of enemies, the longer the spell will hold. With five enemies, I can normally freeze them for about 12-15 seconds, but I'm still magically drained from the fight earlier and my Ryuuzu Spell to make sure everyone stays asleep.

The spell worked its magic, stopping one of the Fire Thing's claws just inches from my face. Yeesh! Talk about a brush with death! I quickly and without hesitation, lob its head off. It doesn't fall or even look like it's detached, due to the spell, but I know it's dead now. I immediately run towards the next Thing, the Ice Thing, and repeat the same action. I do this on the three normal Things as well, before time speeds back up to normal. Damn! I couldn't reach the Lightning Thing!

Five wet thunks tell me the five Things are dead. Six down, two to go.

I immediately dodge the Lightning Thing, which attacks me first. The remaining Fire Thing is close behind. Damn! I curse mentally. I had to get stuck with the Lightning Thing and a Fire Thing!

I dodge the Lightning Thing's jagged tail, only to get nicked by the Fire Thing's bladed tail. A searing, burning, pain in my upper left arm causes me to cry out. It doesn't bleed, as it's already been sutured shut, but it still hurts like a fucking bitch. That's gonna scar!

I block the Fire Thing's tail with my blade, but I'm forced to immediately dodge the Lightning Thing's claws. The fight is too fast paced. Fighting with two enemies at once when one of them able to move faster than me, might just be too much. I'm struggling to keep up. Perhaps I've finally bitten off more than I can chew. It wouldn't be the first time.

The Fire Thing swipes at me again, forcing me to jump to dodge, as I mistakenly block the Lightning Thing's tail blade with my sword. I scream in agony as the electricity courses through my system. It's only through sheer willpower and experience that I'm able to dodge the next blow, but only barely. While I'm able to dodge the Fire Thing's bladed tail, the part without the blade hits me in my still bruised chest, slamming me into the wall.

I gasp, unable to suck in the much-needed oxygen. Is this it?! I can't die here! I didn't reset the clock! I– Suddenly, firm determination wells up within me. NO! I WILL NOT Die here! I... "I Refuse!" I scream at them, dodging the tail swipes and claw swipes.

"We're so close! I won't die! Not now!" I tap into the anger that I've felt every time my friends die. The same anger that lets me kill so many Things so effortlessly. I decide to put it all on the line. I slice the Fire Thing's head open, as its tail nicks my left leg. "One left!" I cry, dodging the tail swipe and follow up bite. I run, dodging and slicing.

I finally see an opening, and I take it. With a loud battle cry, I stab my sword right into the Lightning Thing's forehead stopping the tail inches from my back. I scream in agony as white-hot pain in the form of electricity courses through my body. I can't let go of my sword. My muscles are seizing. I swear I see Holy Rome looking sadly at me with Grandpa Rome by his side. NO! I WON'T DIE!

"I'M NOT READY TO DIE YET! I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THEM!" I scream, as I somehow wrench my sword out of the Thing's forehead. The electricity flow stops, but it takes me several seconds to remember how to breathe, and several more seconds to get my paralyzed lungs to cooperate. I lay there, on the bloodstained floor, my left side still bleeding from the Lightning Thing's attack earlier, my sutured wounds burning something fierce, and my entire body convulsing with the remnants of the electricity. My breathing is labored and shaky. I feel light headed, and my migraine is worse than ever. I can hardly breathe, and my chest and back throb from being thrown into the wall. But I'm alive. We're all alive.

"W-we're almos-st... there... Jus-just hold on a l-little longer... my f-friends..." I stutter, the electricity still running its course. It feels like hours... days... laying there, the pain... but the thought of my friends keeps me holding on to consciousness.

Eventually, I'm able to stagger to my feet using my sword, and I use the walls to help me walk back to the Annex Entrance. Crap. Stairs... What a pain in my literal ass.

Yeah. Next time don't get electrocuted. It fucking hurts!

Really?! I had no fucking clue, asstard! I snap at Yang, sick and tired with pain. I do not want to deal with Yang right now.

Somehow, I'm able to stagger up each agonizing step, and stumble to the wall. I wince at how loud I am. I can't afford to fight even the normal Things now. I'd surely die.

My consciousness blinks in and out, but I don't fall. Regardless of my mental state, my body seems to move on its own, as if it knows where it needs to be. I have no clue what time it is when I stumble clumsily back into the Safe Room, and I frankly don't give a damn. Time can just go fuck itself for all I care. I'm exhausted, in unimaginable pain nearly on par with merging my aura with Yang's, and all I want to do is crawl into bed and sleep. For a decade. Or a century. Know what? Make it a millennia!

But I can't allow myself to sleep yet, no matter how much I want to. I slowly make my way to the kitchen and grab the medical kit. I don't make it to the table. I don't even bother. I plop right down on the kitchen floor and take out what I need. My body screams with each little movement. I'm still twitching something terrible from the last electric blow.

I can't call Silver to help—she's playing guard-dog to make sure none of the other nations come. Heaven knows the last thing I need is more nations to protect. I can't distract her from that.

After 3 excruciating hours, I've finally sewn up the rather deep slice to my left side, and bound it up. I take five pain pills before putting the medical kit away, using the counter to pull myself up, not bothering to bite down my agonized scream of pain. I know for a fact that my spell is still working.

Slowly, I make my way to my soft, heavenly bed. I stay awake just long enough to manipulate the spell on my friends, so that they would wake if I die, or in 6 hours. Whichever comes first. For the first time in over ten thousand loops, I fall asleep in the Mansion, without any nightmares.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 540 8
Italy was kidnapped once again by the allies. America, however, hadn't known until his friends dropped by with the Italian. France had lured in the o...
3.3K 116 13
You are new at Hetalia Academy. Trying to fit in was hard since everyone here was an official country while you were a small, somehow still undiscove...
57.4K 1.8K 10
To my beloved friend @dennythedenmark LOVE YOU! This is a thank you gift to her, for writing me that AWESOME England X Reader fanfiction! She asked...
338K 11.9K 120
Ah, ~ Hetalia boys... We all love them. Wouldn't it be great if one of them were your boyfriend? Well, now you have it! Hetalia X Reader [The Datin...