The Alpha's Only Heir

By Fire-Starter

Lily is not your average girl. She is strong, deliberate in her actions and most importantly she is the Alpha... More

The Alpha's Only Heir- Prologue
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter One
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Two
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Three
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Four
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Five
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Six
The Alpha's Only Heir - Chapter Eight
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Nine
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Ten
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Eleven
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Twelve
The Alpha's Only Heir - Chapter Thirteen
The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Fourteen

The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Seven

2.6K 35 3
By Fire-Starter

So wow, yeah... I apologize. I got caught up in the whirlwind of my life and then proceeded to have writer's block.  Hope this is worth the wait.

Recap:

Tapping my finger on my head I looked at him. “I can tap into the mind link, remember?” Holding up my hand I warded off his protests. “Yes, Matthew is a touchy subject with me for obvious reasons. I was eighteen when I found him on my doorstep abandoned.”

Confusion flickered across his face, “You mean you’re not Matthew’s mother?”

“Biologically speaking- no.” Suddenly it hit me where he was going with this and I burst out laughing.

“Oh god! That’s why you don’t like me very much? You though I had a child with some random guy?” Covering my mouth I tried to slow the giggles that were still there waiting to be released.

Ducking his head he fumbled for words suddenly looking much younger. “I’m sorry. You know what they say about assuming… Guess I made an ass of myself.”

“Next time ask. I do not mention that in front of Matthew but I will talk about it otherwise. And anything else you want to know, just talk to me.”

Nodding he suddenly went back to his serious expression. He was definitely going to be a hard one to figure. “I’ll start some work here then, please feel free to come get me for lunch. Hopefully I won’t have fallen asleep just yet.”

He went to leave but just before he opened the door he looked back over his shoulder. “You know, the Alpha keeps a hidden trundle bed along the far bookcase.” With that he left leaving me wondering where the sudden niceties were coming from.

----------

I stared for a moment at the far bookshelf for a moment until I found the catch. I caught myself before I went to it and instead took a seat at the desk again. “Kelli, could you come in here a moment?” I didn’t raise my voice but she heard me anyway, trading places with William’s shadow.

“Yes?” Without Marcus in here she smiled, just as bubbly as before. Making a mental note, I decided to ignore it for now- but I would definitely ask about that later.

“Could you do me a favor?” I waited for her to nod before I launched into my request.

“I’m looking to update the pack records for the families. I need to get a list going on all the pack families: names and ages. It’s something that should have been done every ten years but it looks like the dull duty has fallen to us women.” I gave her a weak smile hoping to fool her a bit.

“Sure, but it’s going to take me forever.” She flopped onto the chaise lounge under the window causing me to turn my chair towards her.

Laughing I got up and pointed to the whiteboard in the corner. “No, no. I’m not asking you to do it all by yourself.” I stood in front of the board and quickly sketched out a rough map of the original pack territory with a black marker, “So this is our original territory. If I divide it by each state I know people in each state; good people. If we call four people in each state to get those names and send it back to us we should have a solid base.” Still moving my hand over the white board I took the red marker to go over the new states. “Here’s the hard part; I’m unfamiliar with the outer limits here. I do believe I can get contacts there without having to visit but I most likely have to do that anyway.” I frowned as I thought of all these new people whom I haven’t met, who probably don’t even know anything about my pack except violence.

Kelley seemed to pick up on my train of thought. “You know I could always make those phone calls have them get started and set up a trip to go around in a week or so.”

“That would work.” Nodding I continued to draw explaining how I thought a phone-tree style would help simplify things. “We’ll have one person in each location they gather the information and send it back to for us to compile it. We’ll schedule daily visits to the outer regions…”

Spinning on my heels I turned and went to the back wall grabbing some push pins on the way. Dividing each of the six original states in fours, I put green push pins in different sectors of each state. “We’ll start with these and work our way outwards.” Then I pushed blue pins in the newer states.

“Now this I can do.” Kelli smiled and whipped out a cell phone from her back pocket. “Do you want me in here or is the hallway okay to get started?”

“Whatever works best for you.” Pulling open the top drawer I grabbed a notepad and tossed it to her. “You might need this thought.” With a smile and a wave she left, her phone pressed to her ear.

----------

I was trying to sort out a load of household accounting paper work while in the back of my mind I sorted out facts and such of different nature entirely. Multi-tasking at its best. A knock came at the door and a quick sniff told me I need not stop. “Come in.”

“Good morning Lily.” I motioned for him to have a seat before I dropped the papers rubbing my eyes. I gave him a weak smile and motioned to my desk. “I’m trying to organize all this. But that’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack- one the size of Alaska.”

He gave a small chuckle that seemed a bit forced but I wasn’t about to call him out on it. One look at him and I realized last night weighted hard on him too.

“What’s up Phil? Cat got your tongue?” I teased him hoping he’d relax, my own nerves were still frayed and I was highly contemplating taking a nap. As much as the energy drink help my fast metabolism had already processed it and I could feel that steady thrum dull down to a barely there pulse of energy.

“Needed to check with you about leaving Mathew with the boys for the rest of today.”

That’s when I did stop working, giving Phil my full attention. “Why?”

“He’s just a little shook up still and I feel being around me is making it worse.”

“Do you remember when Matthew turned three and everything became a story? He had such a great imagination and he’d talk your ear off if you let him.” Watching Phil nod his head I continued. “As great as his imagination was then it’s even bigger now. Unless you take the time to sort through the half truths and pure fantasy you never learn what’s really bothering him.”

“I know what bothering him.”

“You know what’s bothering you. Matthew is fine and all he wants is the Pops back that was teaching him how to play baseball.” I gave him a pointed look before moving back to my papers. “Remember when I was twelve I overheard a conversation I wasn’t supposed to between Grandpa and my father?” I paused to make sure he understood. “You told me very calmly that kids who don’t eavesdrop on adult conversations were doomed to a childhood of ignorance.”

Sighing deeply he heaved himself out of the chair. “You’re right.” A pause. “I guess that means I should grab that new mitt I got him.”

“Got a quick question for you Phil; when do ‘the games’ normally start and go until?” I was carefully not to look at him but I could feel the crackle in my mind as he tried to reach out into mine.

“Last about a week; normally right before the ceremony.” Jotting down a quick note on my pad at my elbow, I went back to shuffling my papers.

“You’re not thinking of going through with it are you?” He asked in a tone that demanded my attention.

I put down my papers and folded my hands on top of the desk before looking up at him. “Can I tell you?” I paused. “I mean can I really tell you something and trust that you won’t let anyone know?”

He immediately opened him mouth before slamming it shut. He understood my double meaning. “You know as well as I do an alpha is able to links minds with everyone.”

“Everyone; except another alpha and those who haven’t come into their full powers yet.” I nodded wishing I didn’t have to do this now.

“Please tell me you’re not thinking about going through with the games are you?”

“Why not?”

“You’re not a prize!” His fist came down on the desk making everything jump.

“I’m already a prize Phil, you were there!” I paused feeling my emotions getting the better of me. Taking on a more rational tone I continued. “You were there when my father decided to use me right after I won my coming of age challenge. You were there when he sold me to Marcus. At least this way there is a chance for something better.”

“But…” I could see him struggle to find the right words to sway me. “What if he sends everyone away but him?”

“Pack law states that majority of the pack must be present when the games involve the alpha’s direct family.”

He fell back into the chair biting his knuckle. “But something like that hasn’t been done in years…”

I looked over on to my pad to double check something. “52 to be precise.”

“Where did you hear that?” He was trying hard not to be startled but I could tell by the look on his face he was surprised.

“You’re hardly the oldest wolf I know Phil.” I smiled at him, hoping to encourage him to understand. As he leaned forward his hand shot out to grab the pad but I swiftly grabbed it holding in close to my chest.

It took a moment for the shock to fall from his face. “You won’t let me see what you’re planning will you?”

“I just need to re-write it for you.” His look made me realize my error. Taking a deep breath I waved the pad in front of his face briefly so he could see the different text. “Because unless you learned a different language and never told anyone, you can’t read this.”

At that he let out a loud bark-like laughter. “When you’re good kid, you’re good.”

“I’m the best.” I teased back smirking. Grabbing a blank sheet I quickly looked at the Russian text picking from it the basic facts I would be able to share and I didn’t bother to translate anything else. The laws and events were fine; but I wanted to keep the exact rules to myself. No need for anyone to find any loopholes before I’ve even begun.

----------

I lifted my arm, glancing at the time. Groaning I sat up. I had fallen sleep on the lounge chaise. Rubbing my hands over my face I remember finishing the accounting before deciding a quick nap would do me a world of good.

“About time you woke up.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be somewhere else- like anywhere else?” I fixed gazes with Steve before standing up stretching.

“Dinner’s come and gone- I wanted to make sure William and Kelley ate.”

“Yeah but did you have to be a total creeper.” I grumble dragging my fingers through my now tangled hair. He let out a laugh before tossing me a sweatshirt. I pulled it on before having a good look at it. Once on I felt the softness from its use and the smell that overwhelmed me. “Your college letters really?” I quirked an eyebrow up at him.

“You locked your door and as much as I thought you’d like one of yours..I didn’t think you’d really appreciate broken locks your second night back.” He shrugged unfolding himself from the chair and opening the office door.

“Yeah let me at least make it a week.” I rolled my eyes and followed him down stairs. “Any food left?”

“Kitchen’s closed.” He shrugged again but I could see his shoulder’s shaking with silent laughter. He knew I get the food grumps.

“Damn.”

“Real shame too.” Suddenly his thoughts pressed into my head, recapping the amazing dinner Rita made.

“Screw you.” I muttered throwing up my mental barrier.

“Be careful I might take you up on the offer.”

“Stop it.” Playfully shoving him I ran out the door “Guess we do this the old fashioned way.” I was about to move off to the west when a thought struck me. “Did Verity arrive yet?”

“Yes, but she was too tired to join us for dinner so she’s sleeping it off. Don’t worry she knows she has to speak with you first and she’ll wait.”

“Much as it might kill the rest of you?” I made Steve look me in the eye so I could judge his response.

“Nah, doesn’t really bother us but her sister is pissed. Which is always kinda amusing, so thanks.” He threw me a wink before continuing walking to the forest.

“Sister?”

“Helen.”

“Ah. Anytime then.” I paused just before. “Are you coming with me?”

“Only if you’re up for it.” He paused his hands on the bottom of his shirt.

“If you think you can keep up.” I tossed a smirk over my shoulder before hiding behind a small cluster of trees to change.

As soon as I completed my change I felt my body go through a check from head to toe, reacquainting myself with all the new sights, sounds and smells. I shook my body from nose to the tip of my tail. A coughing sound came from behind me. Spinning around I lowered my head in growl.

“You look like a puppy.” Steve teased me through the mind link. The coughing sound was him laughing at me, something that sounds exceptionally weird in wolf form. I lunged forward snapping at his front legs in warning. As he backed up out of my range I spun around as quickly as possible and darted through the underbrush. I could hear him behind me crashing through the underbrush as he tried to squeeze his larger frame in where I had gone. I dashed quickly across a small clearing and immediately stop to wait for him. I heard him barreling through moments after me. He slowed down in the middle of the clearing his nose trying to find me. It was then that I sailed out landing with a thud on his back. Caught by surprise his legs spread wide and we fell to the ground a swirl of nips and starches, all it play.

I pinned him on his back playfully growling when he willing exposed his neck to me. It takes a lot of trust to do that with someone playing or not. I nudge my snout under his quickly before I got up. Taking a deep breath I caught wind of something that made my mouth water. Steve brushed against me, his body briefly heating mine before taking off. This was his standard follow me order. While I was higher ranked in a hunting position he would always go first, the whole need to protect me thing. Cute and annoying: all at the same time. I followed his dark brown wolf as we tracked a doe and her fawn that had my stomach grumbling.

Our wolves were more in sync then I ever gave us credit for. While we can talk in the mind link, we prefer the silence. Instead we relied on our instincts. It was only moments before we found the deer and Steve drove them into my waiting jaws.

After we had satiated my appetite we changed back and watched the stars out in the same clearing we had played in earlier. Laying on our backs we were near enough to each other that my left side was warmer than my right but that was as far as it went. The silence hadn’t bothered me but I could tell Steve had something on his mind. “You know the longer you hold it in the more you’ll explode later.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw him turn to me watching my profile.

“Is it true? Your father has arranged for you to mate Marcus?” His voice was thick and I could tell it was hard for him to ask this. I shifted onto my side curling my arm under my head.

“Leon Charles has lots of plans for himself and the pack. I’m still learning what they are. But yeah, he’s involving me again.”

“Again?”

“Yup, this time what he wants is me to do is mate with his hand chosen puppy.” I released a cold laugh into the night before turning back to the sky.

Steve was still watching me his eyes trained on the side of my face and I tried hard not to read his emotions with my alpha power. “Don’t you want to choose your own mate? Someone who you love, loves you back and even loves Matthew?”

“Yeah I’m kinda a packaged deal.” I smirked before a howling wind brought my arms around my chest warding off the cold.

“Some guys want a package deal Lily.” He scooted closer to me on the grass, lending me his body heat. “You and Matthew are more than worth it for any lucky guy.”

“Maybe there would have been but it’s not like I have much of a choice anymore.” I cuddled up to Steve leaning my head on his shoulder, allowing myself that moment of comfort. “Enough about my non-existent love life. What’s going with yours?”

His body stiffened as he shifted next to me. “There might be someone but I doubt she even knows I’m alive.”

“What do you mean?”

“Let’s not talk about it now.” I turned my head up to look into his eyes. “Yes, we can discuss it later. But it’s Matthews’ bedtime and I’m sure he wants a story from you.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

486 83 56
Lily White is just your average 18 year old. A bright, sensible, fun-loving girl, finally off to college with her bestie. Little does she know her li...
72.6K 2.5K 21
Erin had spent her entire life surrounded by family and friends. They would all come together every week and have their weekly family picnic. There h...
3.7K 64 21
Sixteen year old Clara Mayfield became the alpha of her pack when her parents were killed. The night she meets a man from her pack she finds out who...
61.8K 4K 38
Aria is the first born female of alpha of the Olympic pack. Female alphas are not found simply because they possess too much of power. Her father pun...