A Slave to Love

By TheRealBrokenStrings

All Kiana wanted was a night out to forget about her cheating ex boyfriend. Instead, she ended up getting sha... More

Chapter 1: Dead End
Chapter 2: Sitting in a Room Made Up of Only Big White Walls...
Chapter 3: Sinbad and Robin
Chapter 4: Waking Up
Chapter 5: My Spidey Senses are Tingling
Chapter 6: Sinbad and Robin Reunited
Chapter 7: Unless...
Chapter 8: Rubber Ducky
Chapter 9: Crazy Cat Lady
Chapter 10: No Such Thing
Chapter 11: Fractured
Chapter 12: Skipping Stones
Chapter 13: Despicable
Chapter 14: Drama
Chapter 15: Movie Dates
Chapter 16: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 17: Bite Marks
Chapter 18: Late Night Dates
Chapter 19: Best Three out of Five
Chapter 20: Unexciting
Chapter 21: Third Date Rule
Chapter 22: Picnic
Chapter 23: Wet
Chapter 24: New Side
Chapter 25: Taking it Easy
Chapter 26: Bite Me
Chapter 27: Guilt
Chapter 28: Long Time No See
Chapter 29: Tease
Chapter 30: Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Chapter 31: Brawny Idiot
Chapter 32: Pervert
Chapter 33: Numb
Chapter 34: Arrangements
Chapter 35: Eight Legged Friend
Chapter 36: Slave For You
Chapter 38: Stitches
Chapter 39: Blood and Chocolate
Chapter 40: Old Rival
Chapter 41: Babysitter
Chapter 42: Be My Girlfriend, Be My Girlfriend
Chapter 43: Emotional
Chapter 44: Lexi
Chapter 45: The Ball
Chapter 46: Blame
Chapter 47: Provoked
Chapter 48: Trial
Chapter 49: First Snow
Chapter 50: Wicked Witch
Chapter 51: Exile
Chapter 52: Snowfall
Chapter 53: Not About Trust
Chapter 54: Plan
Chapter 55: Something in the Family
Chapter 56: Separation
Chapter 57: Memories
Chapter 58: Eliza
Chapter 59: Deserve
Chapter 60: Going Home
Chapter 61: Welcome
Chapter 62: Hot Chocolate
Chapter 63: Merry Christmas
Chapter 64: The Room
Chapter 65: Be Gay Together
Chapter 66: Invited
Chapter 67: Derailed
Chapter 68: Pertinent
Chapter 69: Take Care
Chapter 70: Unconditional Love
Chapter 71: Ready or Not
Chapter 72: Promise
Chapter 73: Forever

Chapter 37: Chicken Fight

20.2K 576 71
By TheRealBrokenStrings

It was killing me. I wanted to know so badly but I was afraid to ask and make them feel bad or embarrassed and put them on the spot. But Nate had even switched seats to sit next to Katie during Math--I mean, okay sure, she was helping him out with a problem--but I was sure there was something else there.

I was thinking so hard about those two that I hadn't been paying attention to my pencil, which I'd been rolling back and forth between my fingers as I studied them, and it hit the floor. Bending down to grab it, I glanced up at the potential couple again to see Nate with his hand on Katie's leg.

"Aww!" That was so cute. For my efforts at spying on them under the table, I accidentally bashed my head on the side of my desk on my way back up.

"What's your deal?" Nate asked, eyebrow arched.

"Um..." I rubbed at my pained head, wincing. That was going to leave a serious mark. "Sorry, I hit my head. Ignore me."

They were both still giving me weird looks when Nate stood up to ask the teacher to go to the bathroom. I waited impatiently for him to leave the room and as soon as he was gone, I leaned forward to Katie and hit her on the nose with my pencil eraser. She jerked in surprise, rubbing her nose from my attack.

"What was that for?" she whined.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"You know what," I said, waving my pencil in the air, "You and Nate sitting next to each other...his hand on your leg...you guys hooked up, didn't you?"

She flushed a bright lobster red.

"Oh my God! I knew it!"

"Kiana!" the teacher scolded me. "Keep it down."

"Sorry," I said sheepishly before I turned back to Katie, lowering my tone. "How? When? Where? Tell me everything!"

"It was super sweet," she said, smoothing her papers across her desk, cheeks still splotched with pink. "Wednesday night we didn't go to dinner with everyone else because he said he had something planned. So we met up in the forest in this beautiful little clearing and he had a whole picnic set up and it was so romantic and it was under the stars and..." she broke off with a dreamy sigh, "It was amazing. And then he got all nervous and he was blushing and then he asked me if it would be alright if we started dating. And I got so happy I kind of...well...I kind of jumped him and kissed him."

I hopped over to steal Nate's empty chair and hugged her tight. "I'm so happy for you guys! But how come you didn't tell me?"

"Well I didn't know how to say it, it's so new. Gosh Kiana I don't think I've ever been so happy in my entire life."

"This is totally amazing! He's perfect for you. He's so sweet and caring and you guys are just too cute. I knew this would happen!" I gushed. I was so glad they both managed to get over their shyness and finally got together. It had been way too long that they'd been circling each other.

Nate came back from the bathroom and we both grinned at him.

"What?" he frowned, glancing down. "My fly isn't down, is it?"

I laughed. "You're just totally romantic and sweet, that's all."

His eyes popped and he glanced at Katie, eyebrows raised. Katie nodded enthusiastically he relaxed, stealing my vacant chair to scoot it closer to Katie since I was still sitting in his.

"So did anything else happen this week that I missed? I'm feeling very left out," I said, only half joking. Another downside to living with Blade was missing out on time with my friends and everything was going on over here. 

"Noah and Jenny are totally hooked up as well," Katie said. "Leah's room mate got expelled for drugs too, so now instead of going back to our old dorm I'm bunking with Leah and her other room mate for the rest of the year."

"Thank God." I'd been worried about what would happen to Katie. She'd been sleeping on a sleeping bag on their floor since it all happened and I hated to think of her having to go back to our old room once it was no longer an active crime scene and was cleaned up. I doubted Jill would want to go back either. "What about Jill? When's she coming back?"

"They say she's coming back sometime in the next two weeks," Nate replied, "Everyone's talking about it. They all want to know what happened since things are still very quiet on that front."

"Everyone's going to be bugging her when she comes back, but knowing her she'll probably enjoy all the attention and milk it for all its worth."

I was just hoping she didn't remember anything. There was no way she could start talking about vampires without asking for even more trouble. I wasn't too clear on vampire rules, but a human spouting all their secrets seemed like a good way to get attacked again. Or worse. And that wasn't counting how everyone would think she was crazy. Jill cared a lot about her image so she probably wouldn't be itching to talk about it so nobody would label her crazy, assuming she remembered anything. 

I looked out the window at the bright sunshine. It was surprisingly warm for November but I was sure it'd be getting cold very soon. Already the nights were freezing. But for now we might as well take advantage of the nice weather.

"Do you guys want to come over tomorrow?" I asked, twirling my pencils around my fingers as I thought about my dreadfully empty Saturday. I'd missed spending weekends studying with them and hanging out on our down time. Lately, my free time was spent with Aidan, avoiding Mona, and catching only the faintest glimpses of Blade. Otherwise? I was alone. 

And it sucked.

And I hated that I had clearly been missing out on important stuff happening in my friends lives. I didn't want my moving out to distance me from them anymore than it already had.

"If it's okay with Blade," Katie said, "Then I'd love too. We hardly get to see you anymore."

"Don't worry. I'm going to ask before I make any secure plans, I rather he not bite my head off," I assured her. Not to mention Mona...ugh. If they came over I'd have to ask Blade to keep Mona away. I didn't want her to eat my friends just to spite me.

"We have nothing better to do so as long as it's okay with him, it's fine with us," Nate shrugged.

"Gee, thanks," I said with a chuckle, "I bet Mick would love to come just to see Blade again."

"Probably," Nate laughed. "He's mentioned being jealous of you two living together on numerous occasions."

"Well unfortunately for him, Mona's been staying at the house all this time so he'll be very disappointed to see Blade with her," I said with a shudder. "They're so gross."

"Well it's a big house, isn't it? Just run to the other side of it," Katie suggested.

"That house is so big even I would get out of breath running from one end to the other." I made a face. Proximity didn't do much when I still knew what they were doing. "You'll see what I mean this weekend. Besides, sometimes I accidentally stumble across them having a moment and it's too late."

The rest of the day was pretty normal. I found everyone else and asked if they wanted to come over and they all agreed. Mick especially was jumping with joy and he even picked me up and spun me around as he was so happy. Whether it was to spend more time with me, or to see Blade again, I wasn't sure but I sincerely hoped I got top billing.

When the end of school came Landon walked me to the gate like usual, giving us a brief moment alone. We were struggling to steal moments together these days, between increasing homework loads, classes, and me living elsewhere, it was putting a definite strain on things but we did our best. As much as he wasn't happy I was living with Blade, he was glad to come over tomorrow and spend the day, even if all our friends were there too. It would be nice to see each other for more than five minutes and without a teacher hovering over our shoulders.

Landon's face dropped a little when Blade showed up to pick me up and I knew he hated sending me off with him, but we had no choice. With one last kiss, we parted ways.

"Blade?" I asked uncertainly, fiddling with my seatbelt so I wouldn't have to look at him. "Would it be okay if I invited my friends over this weekend? Tomorrow?"

He slanted an odd look my way. "You don't need my permission to have people over. It's as much your house as it is mine."

"Oh." That was nice of him. "I just wanted to make sure...well, now you have a warning I guess."

He rolled his eyes, "Okay."

"Could you keep Mona occupied or something tomorrow though? I don't want her to eat anybody."

"Relax, sweetheart. I'll be there to keep an eye on her. If she tries anything I'll stop her."

"Thanks?" The fact that the possibility of her trying something wasn't even remotely outside of the realm of possibilities boggled my mind.

Why was he with her again?

********

"Ho. Ly. Shit," Mick said slowly, mouth hanging open as he walked up the steps next to me with Landon on my other side, the rest of the group trailing behind. I felt like a tour guide in some fancy museum.

"Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too," I said, leading the way inside the house.

"Hello, miss," Leo said cheerily.

"Leo, please stop calling me that," I groaned. It felt way too formal for me, but Leo seemed to enjoy my discomfort.

"I'm only teasing," he assured me with a smile as he swung his attention to my friends.

"Thanks," I said sarcastically. "Well, Leo this is everyone. Mick, Katie, Nate, Noah, and my boyfriend Landon," I pointed them all out, "And everyone? This is Leo."

"It's nice to meet you all," Leo said with a nod of his head, holding back the usual bow he would give. Certain things were toned down around humans evidently to save the trouble of people raising their eyebrows and questioning things they shouldn't.

There were choruses of 'nice to meet you' from all my friends before I asked my question.

"So where is Mona exactly? I haven't seen her all morning," I said, dread pricking my gut. She hated me enough that I was sure she had something petty and vindictive planned just to ruin my day.

Leo made a face, sympathetic. "Already at the pool. But don't worry, Blade and Aidan are there to keep her in her place."

"Thanks," I said, giving him a quick hug. Though I doubted the boys could keep Mona in line. That was one woman who did whatever the hell she wanted. "Come on guys, time for you to meet Satan and Aidan."

"Kiana you're so mean," Katie chastised me.

"Really? I'll remember that. You'll think differently after you meet her," I said as Landon slipped an arm around my waist.

"So Aidan is Mona's brother, right?" Landon asked.

Mick was quick to add "Is he single?"

"Yeah he's her brother," I confirmed, lying through my teeth. Maybe I hadn't thought this through. "I don't know if he's single though. We never really talked about it actually."

"Damn," Mick said with a snap of his fingers.

"If you're so curious ask him when you meet him," I said as we continued through the house outside to the pool. Aidan was already swimming and Blade was sitting next to Mona, talking to her in a low voice and I just knew he was warning her. She had on a skimpy leopard print bikini and I wanted nothing more than to gouge my eyes out. Skimpy was an understatement. She was hot, I'd give her that, but there was no need for us to see that much of her.

When Aidan saw us walking across to the pool, he got out to greet everyone. I was right about the surfer boy thing; he genuinely looked like one with all his slim muscles, blonde sun kissed hair and tanned skinned with big blue eyes.

"Seriously Kiana! You live in dream boy heaven!" Mick whispered to me, ogling Aidan as he dug his fingers into my arm.

Blade smirked, obviously hearing Mick's comment. Because of course he did.

"Alright so Mick, Nate, Noah, Katie and Landon that's Mona, Blade's girlfriend, and Aidan...her brother," I said, putting extra emphasis on brother.

"Nice to meet you guys, but somehow I doubt I'll remember all your names," Aidan said, pushing back his dripping hair. Mick was about two more seconds away from drooling over him.

"Don't worry, I'll be glad to remind you," Mick said cheerily, "Now where do we change?"

I pointed to the cabins. "Over there," I said as I walked over there to get changed myself, "Guys in that one and girls in here."

Katie followed me in and we got changed quickly. I had decided to wear the red bikini that Blade had given me last time we went swimming since it was right on top of my disorganized drawer and I had approximately negative energy to bother hunting for my other singular bathing suit I'd packed 'just in case'. When I walked out and he looked me over--oh he looked so damn smug I wanted to shove him into the pool and see if he was lying about being unable to drown.

"Yeah, yeah," I said, waving off whatever stupid comment he had planned on bestowing on me. It didn't stop him from watching me as I walked past with Katie. Thankfully, Landon had yet to emerge from changing.

"Jeez and they say girls take long," I cracked.

"Oh well, we get more swim time," Katie announced before she sat on the edge and gingerly slid into the pool with a satisfied sigh, finding it warm as bath water. I headed around to the deeper end before I dove in, plunging into the silky warm water. It was heavenly against the chill of autumn. I came up for air, brushing my wet hair off my face at the same time I suddenly heard war cries and saw all the guys running from the cabin and leaping into the pool.

I burst out laughing as poor Katie got completely splashed and soaked from all of them jumping in, while Aidan snuck up behind me and dragged me under by my ankle.

Grinning at him underwater, I kicked my foot out of his hold and swam back up to the surface. Mona was on the diving board and I moved out of her way before she decided to dive down on top of me and attack me from the air, while someone came up behind me. Whirling around, I came face to face with Landon, his brown hair wet and messy, a wicked grin on his face.

"Landon," I said warningly, swimming backwards as he advanced on me.

All at once he dove underwater and the next thing I knew he was coming up for air with me on his shoulders, my legs draped over him as I clutched his face from my precarious perch.

"What the hell, Landon?" I slapped the top of his head, then held it when I wobbled unsteadily, having no desire to tip backwards off his shoulders into the pool.

"It's chicken fighting," he explained as he turned us around for me to see Katie on Nate's shoulders.

"What in the world is chicken fighting?"

"You don't know what chicken fighting is?" Nate gaped at me from under Katie. "Where have you been?"

"It's where you sit on a person's shoulders in a pool and you try to push the other person off and make them fall in the water," Katie explained, raising her hands up, palms flat to me.

I carefully put my hands against hers, mirroring her pose as Landon and Nate counted down from ten beneath us. I had no idea what kind of game this was, but hell, couldn't hurt to try.

"Three, two, one, GO!" The boys shouted together. Katie and I pushed against each other's hands while Landon and Nate moved us around, trying to help dislodge each other as our faithful mounts. It was like some bizarre modern day aquatic jousting competition.

"Come on, cutie!" Mick cheered as there was a small splash from behind me, which I assumed was Mona diving but I couldn't afford to let my attention waver and lose. Especially not because of her.

"Yeah sweetheart, I know you're stronger than that," Blade drawled from across the pool.

Turning my head to glare at him, Katie took advantage of my distraction to give me one final shove and I flew off Landon backwards, nearly kicking him in the face and barely getting a chance to hold my breath before I was submerged with a mighty splash.

As soon as I came up for air, I took a breath, sunk back down and shot across the pool to Blade, resurfacing in front of him.

"You asshole, you made me lose," I said, slapping my hand across the water to splash him. He managed to cover most of his face before the mini tidal wave hit him and made him swallow a mouthful.

"I didn't push you off, did I?" he countered.

"You distracted me."

"I can't help it if I'm so attractive that you have to look at me," he smirked before diving under to yank me down next to him, holding me tightly in his arms.

I glared at him as he brought his head down to my neck and spun us around in lazy circles. Under the water it was quiet and still with just the two of us and I found myself relaxing slightly. But then I started running out of air so I pushed him away and tapped my nose before pointing to the surface. He frowned, but shot us up to the surface for air anyways. I gasped when I broke the surface, taking huge gulps of air.

"Holy shit Blade, sometimes I seriously think you're trying to kill me," I panted, wiping the water from my eyes as I draped myself over his shoulder to keep afloat. If he was going to insist on nearly drowning me on a regular basis, the least he could do was put in the work to keep me above the water while I remembered what oxygen felt like.

"Kill you? Now why would I do that? I'd miss you if you died."

Miss bothering me, more like.

I rolled my eyes and splashed him again before I started to swim away. Mona with Landon, a hand on his shoulder as she talked. Clearly she was flirting, judging by the smile on her face and the way she was looking up at him from under her thick lashes. He looked uncomfortable so that was good at least...but I still didn't trust it. Or at least, I didn't trust her.

"Oh lighten up," Blade said as he flipped onto his back and started floating next to me, "Like you said, harmless flirting isn't cheating."

"I'm not so sure if cheating is what I should be worried about."

He let out an exasperated sigh, kicking out of his floating to grab my wrists and pull me towards him, expression serious.

"She's not going to do anything, not when everyone's here to see it. It's only if she gets him alone that you have to worry--" he tossed a look Landon's way "--and he isn't going to go anywhere with her. Look how uncomfortable he is. He wouldn't budge even if she stripped naked and offered him a lap dance. So lighten up."

He had a point. "For once you may be right."

"For once?" he questioned, letting go of my wrists in favor of holding my waist. "I'm always right, sweetheart."

"No, you're always annoying," I said, flicking his nose, "And you're most definitely not always right."

"Most of the time I am though," he pointed out as he swirled us in a circle. As we turned I saw Mick and Aidan talking with Noah, Landon still with Mona and Katie and Nate looking adorable as they play fought in the pool.

"Seems like everyone's hooking up with someone," Blade remarked.

"Yup. Katie and Nate, Noah and Jenny, me and Landon..." my eyes trailed over Mick. "Mick's alone though."

"Probably not for long."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, look." He nodded his head to the right. Noah had joined Nate and Katie, while Mick and Aidan were chatting alone.

"I mean, Mick is alone...as in he doesn't have a boyfriend," I clarified.

"I know what you meant, that's why I'm saying probably not for long," he said, shaking his head at me in exasperation. "God, you're so dense."

"Okay, I'm not dense, I just don't get it. So explain or shut up."

"You are too dense," he said as he traced a finger up my bare spine underwater. "Mick's gay, Aidan's gay, and they seem to be hitting it off. Meaning they might not be alone for much longer."

If it had been humanly possible I think my jaw would have sunk to the bottom of Blade's super deep underground pool.

He blinked at me in surprise. "You didn't know Aidan was gay?" he asked quietly so we wouldn't be overheard, but he was still shocked.

"Obviously not. He said he slept with Mona when they met," I replied, mind racing over this new possibility as I looked at Mick and Aidan again. "So how does that make sense?"

"He told you he was drunk right?" he pointed out, "Besides, people can be bisexual, or pan, or they can experiment. Plus everyone has sex with Mona."

"But you just said he's gay."

"I've seen him with guys and I know him and Mona slept together. I never asked for a clarification on his preferences, I just know that men also seem to be his thing. I was just saying maybe he realized he was gay after Mona or maybe he was too drunk that night and slept with her because he felt like it or maybe he really is attracted to multiple kinds of people." He huffed impatiently. "I don't know and frankly I don't care. Point is, Mick has a shot. End of story."

"Wow. I just never would have thought it."

"Like I said, you're dense."

"Oh don't be so mean. Don't forget, I've got plenty of ammo to keep you in Mona's doghouse."

His eyes narrowed to slits. "Don't you dare."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Like you said before Blade, lighten up," I said innocently, before I swam off to rejoin my friends, just before Mick announced we were going to play Marco Polo.

"Kiana since this pool day was your idea you get to be Polo. Now close your eyes and spin a few times," Mick said, pushing me to the center of the pool and leaving me no choice.

"No fair! This is Blade's house so he should be Polo," I protested. Closing my eyes and flailing around with Blade and Mona around sounded like a death wish to me, even if all my friends were here to deter them. At best, neither one of them could be trusted not to pull some kind of prank.

"No that's alright, I insist you be Polo, Kiana," Blade said, unwilling to help me after my threat. Though I doubted he would have helped me even if I hadn't threatened him.

"Watch your back, Blade. I'm coming after you first for this. Or Mick."

"Why me?" Mick whined.

"Because you volunteered my services," I explained as I swam to the center and sighed, treading water again. "How many times do I have to spin?"

"Twenty times," Aidan said, "Just to make sure you're good and dizzy."

"Aidan you didn't strike me as the type to be so evil." I really was not appreciating being ganged up on here.

"It's the innocent looking ones you have to watch out for," Mick added, shooting a sly look Aidan's way. "Now less chatting and more spinning."

"Alright, alright. Fine. Twenty spins, coming up," I grumbled before I closed my eyes and started to spin, counting out loud so no one could accuse me of cheating, even though by spin twelve I could no longer tell when I'd done a full revolution or not anymore. I was too wobbly and disoriented, the lapping water and lack of any distinct physical landmarks making it worse. I tried to focus on the whispering and splashes as everyone hurried to get as far away from me as possible instead of my dizziness, but it wasn't exactly helping. It did fuel my spite though. Blade was so going down.

Once I finished my twenty turns, successfully dizzy and a little queasy, I had to wait a minute for it to pass before I could stomach trying to swim. While I waited, I tried to listen to water rippling or something, give me an idea of which direction I was facing and who was close.

"Marco?" I called.

"Polo!" came everyone's reply, all coming from the same end of the pool, minus one or two that came from behind me. Figuring my odds were better with more people, and the fact that Blade was ahead of me, I set off that way. 

To the deep end apparently, as I found I could no longer reach the smooth floor beneath my feet as it dipped towards the diving board.

"Marco?"

"Polo, cutie!" Mick called, cackling somewhere off to the right. I shot in that direction and heard his cry of dismay as he tried to get away, splashing furiously. I reached a hand out and nearly caught him but missed and felt the water ripple as his leg passed by my hand.

"Damn it!"

"Hey you're not supposed to say that!" Landon teased, "You're only allowed to say 'Marco'."

I shot after his voice and heard him laughing. "You're not going to catch me that easily."

"You guys are so mean," I groaned, trying to at least make it look like I was looking as I started trying to pin point where Blade was. Why bother with anyone else when he was a sure thing? I found him, somewhere in front of me.

"Marco?" I called.

"Polo," came the reply, but I distinctly noticed Blade's voice was missing.

"Blade, you have to play fair and say 'Polo'," I chastised him, unable to hide my grin.

"And you have to play fair as well sweetheart, so don't be a hypocrite," he shot back. As if he hadn't cheated when we played hide and seek at school.

"I'm not a hypocrite and I am playing fair. How am I cheating?"

"I don't know," he said slowly, even though he knew I was using our bond to locate him as I moved forward towards. "But I know you're cheating."

He had no leg to stand on and we both knew it. I could almost taste the victory already. It was so beautifully sweet.

"Are her eyes open?" Katie asked, ever the peace maker.

"No, but they could be slightly open without me noticing," Blade replied, his voice sounding closer.

"You know, Blade," came Mona's bored voice. "You talking to Kiana is just helping her to find you; look how close she is."

"Why thank you Mona for those sharp observation skills. I hadn't noticed," Blade said sarcastically. I snickered while Mona let out an annoyed 'humph' behind me.

"Blade swim away, swim away!" Mick cried, laughing hysterically as I closed in on Blade's location.

There was some major splashing ahead of me and I dove forward towards it, my hand catching Blade's ankle as we both went under. I opened my eyes under water and he looked at me, unamused, as I let go of his ankle and came up to his face, blew him a kiss, then surfaced with a loud shout of "Got him!"

"Cheater," he grumbled when he surfaced next to me. "And you know what we do with cheaters," he grinned wickedly before he pushed me under water. I came back up, sputtering and clinging to his broad shoulders as I hacked up a bunch of pool water that I had the misfortune of swallowing.

"Ass!" I said hoarsely, trying to clear my throat of the dry feeling and disgusting taste of chlorine while everyone laughed.

"Oops," he said innocently.

"'Oops' my ass," I mumbled as I scrambled onto his back properly, legs around his waist and arms around his neck. Good luck trying to dunk me from here.

"You really should let go," he said as he started to swim forward.

"Why?" I asked, leaning my head on his shoulder blade. Haha, Blade...shoulder blade...yeah. Okay then. I swallowed too much pool water and the chemicals were affecting my brain.

"No reason," he said before he suddenly dove under water, taking me with him. I barely managed to suck in a breath before we were cutting across the pool, weaving past my friends legs. As soon as he was under he held my wrists so I couldn't let go and swam to the deep end of the pool, diving down so his feet were touching the floor of the deep end.

He pulled me off his back in the eerie silence under the water. Not to mention the darkness, there was no sun today so it was even dimmer in these depths. He held me in front of him, resting his forehead against mine for a moment, fingers in my hair. My lungs started to ache--I hadn't gotten enough air before he dragged me down here--and I pulled away, trying to figure out what his game was this time. He simply shook his head before he wrapped his arm around my waist and towed me back up to the surface.

"Damn cutie, you can hold your breath for a long time," Mick remarked as soon as I broke the surface, gratefully gulping down air. One of these days, Blade really was going to drown me, even if it was by accident.

"Um...I guess," I said, rubbing my aching eyes. All this chlorine and underwater swimming was wrecking havoc on me. "Okay, no more going under for me. My eyes are starting to burn."

"Yeah they're are all bloodshot. You look like a druggie," Mick commented once he swam up to me to investigate.

"Where's Mona?" Blade demanded, so sharply I jumped.

"She went inside with Landon to get snacks," Mick said, looking taken aback.

"Fuck," Blade snapped before he dove underwater and shot to the side of the pool, heaving himself out with no trouble. I swam after him as fast as I could and pulled myself out of the side before I ran after him, though he was already far ahead. He couldn't risk going any faster than normal, not in front of my friends, but he was doing his damnedest to push the limits, especially with his long stride.

"What the hell is going on?" I heard Mick ask, but I ignored his question and fought to catch up with Blade as he tore into the house, struggling to keep my footing on the hardwood with my wet feet. My heart was hammering at what we'd find, if Mona would do to him what those other vamps had done to Jill

"Wait, I can find her," Aidan said, suddenly appearing behind me, puffing from the exertion of running after us. He closed his eyes for a moment before he grabbed my arm and took off, Blade following next to us, "Kitchen."

Blade nodded before he disappeared, taking off at vamp speed to find her. The kitchen was straight ahead and around the corner and we both sped up even though there was no hope for us to ever catch up to Blade. We slipped and slid around the corner, Aidan stumbling sideways and me flailing to catch myself on the corner of the wall before I faceplanted with all of us dripping water everywhere.

There was Blade, holding Mona tightly by her shoulders, fingers digging into her skin.

"Mona!" he hissed, backing her away from Landon. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

I ignored them and beelined straight for Landon, eyes scanning his neck and entire body quickly. He was a little damp from the pool, towel slung around his shoulders, but otherwise he was untouched.

"Oh thank God," I breathed, knees weak as I practically fell into him, squeezing him tight around the waist, breathing in the chlorine that clung to his skin.

"I'm so sorry Kiana, I didn't know she was going to do that. If I did I never would have went with her," he said, closing his arms around me. 

I think everyone froze, even Mona.

"What?" I asked, pulling away, searching his face in panic. "What did she do?"

"Um...she started kissing me," he said, face blotched with color as he winced.  "I swear, I didn't encourage her or--"

"Thank God!" I said again, hugging him again.

"'Thank God?' You're...okay with that?" he asked, bewildered. If only he knew how much worse it could have gone, he would have been relieved too.

"'Okay'? I'm fucking ecstatic!" I said. I was so relieved I could have passed out. "It wasn't your fault! Don't worry!"

But then I realized what he said, the implications of what she'd tried to do, and whirled around to Mona, who was pouting like a sulky child who hadn't gotten their way. I could have strangled her. What was her problem? Forcing herself on Landon like that and going behind Blade's back when he was just outside on top of it? Did she really hate me that much? I barely even knew her! And for someone who was so invested in getting Blade to commit, she sure wasn't acting like she wanted it anymore than he did.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Are you incapable of appreciating what you already have or are you just too self absorbed to notice? Whatever your problem is, leave me and the people I care about out of it," I snapped out before I snatched Landon's hand and stomped off down the hall, dragging him behind me back to the pool and my friends who were blissfully normal and nothing like the raging pain in the ass we'd left behind.

"Okay, I'm so lost," Landon said, rubbing his head.

"Good," I said tightly, still running on angry fumes. Mona just got under my skin like nobody else. It was almost like I'd traded Jill in for Mona; the upgraded and more obnoxious room mate. "Are you sure you're okay? She didn't hurt you or anything, did she?"

"Hurt me?" he sputtered with a laugh. "No? Why would she hurt me?"

"No reason," I said, still looking him over just in case I missed something. "Just making sure I guess."

We went back to the pool, and Aidan and Blade rejoined us after a while, but Mona was nowhere in sight this time.

"Where's your psycho girlfriend?" I asked Blade when he dropped to sit at the edge of the pool.

"Sulking in her room," he muttered, "Nothing surprising there. Princess doesn't get her way and she throws a tantrum."

"I really don't know what you see in her." 

There was no way the sex was that great to be putting up with this kind of behavior all the time. Whatever his other reasons were for being with Mona, were a complete mystery to me.

"You and me both," he muttered before he dove underwater and swam off.

I chewed my lip, contemplating going after him but then I decided I'd let him cool off and headed back to my friends. I doubted he'd want to talk to me, but if he did, it wasn't like he'd want to do it in front of everyone.

Landon still seemed confused and kept trying to apologize, but I assured him it wasn't his fault. It took a whole lot of convincing between Aidan and I to get him to drop the subject, but even Aidan could attest to the fact that that was very much in character for Mona and literally nothing he could have done would have prevented her from trying it. We managed to salvage the rest of the day, Blade drifting into the house on his own at one point and leaving us alone, continuing to have fun before it started getting too late and everyone had to head back to campus.

Once they were gone it was oddly quiet and everything seemed bigger since now there were less people around. Their company had staunched some of that loneliness this house brought though, but now that they had left, the place felt even more isolating by comparison.

For dinner, Aidan and I were on our own which was fine by me honestly, and we chatted about random things until we finished eating and I announced I was heading up to my room to shower.

I had finished my shower and had started doing homework when there was a knock on the door. A quick check in my head told me it wasn't Blade, and then I figured if it had been Blade he probably would have just walked in without knocking.

"Come in," I called since the door was unlocked and I was far too lazy to get off my comfortable bed and go open it.

The door opened and Aidan poked his head in. "Can I talk to you about something?" he asked.

A bit odd seeing as we'd just had a whole meal together and he hadn't mentioned anything, but I wasn't going to argue against having his company, especially since I was just going to read my book for English class, which I had no interest in.

"Of course," I said, patting the spot next to me in bed. I put the book mark in my book, settling it on my lap as he closed the door and joined me on my bed, perching stiffly on the edge. "What's up?"

"Well I'm not sure if you realized this or not...but I'm gay."

Ah. Weird timing for that announcement, but I was still glad he was telling me.

"I know," I said, softening at the nerves tensing his face. 

"You do? And you're not bothered?" 

"I was surprised, but no. Mick's gay and you don't see me bothered by it," I said, wondering just how casual that was to be dropping that info. I was nothing if not loyal to my friends and Mick had been incapable of peeling his eyes off Aidan all day.

He perked up. "Mick's gay?"

I nodded. Blade was right after all. He did a shot.

"Okay, awkward question then, but he's single right?" he asked, flopping forward to lay across my bed. I laughed. I was glad nothing was going to change, that he felt comfortable enough to talk to me about this and not be scared with me. Aidan had been a surprise and he was half the reason living here hadn't been as stressful as it could have been.

"Definitely."

"Do you think it'd be totally inappropriate if I asked him out?"

"Of course not! But if you want I can find out if Mick likes you." I didn't have to ask, I already knew. Mick was terrible at hiding his emotions, he wore everything on his face. He would suck at poker but it made him refreshing honest since he was so incapable of lying.

He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "I don't know...I don't want to ask and then have you tell me in case he didn't want me to know if he liked me or not."

I patted his hand, "It's up to you. Either way I'm pretty sure Mick will say something Monday."

"Then can you just see what he says Monday--if he says anything at all--to see if I should take a shot or not?" he asked, "'Cause I don't want to make things awkward for you or for him either."

"Don't worry, I will," I said before I hugged him. I was genuinely happy for him, and Mick too. Mick wasn't shy when it came to saying if he liked a person or not, and I was sure he liked Aidan a lot since they had stuck together for most of the day. He'd certainly been interested in Aidan's appearance, that I knew for a fact. It'd be great if Mick wasn't stuck being a third wheel or fifth, or who even knew what number we were at? I knew it bugged him a bit, he was such a romantic at heart after all, though he would never be upset with any of us for being happy in relationships while he was single.

"Now about Mona..." he said, leaning against my headboard with a sigh, ruffling his rumpled hair. "I'm sorry for her acting like that. We tried to tell her and keep an eye on her, but you know Mona."

"I know, but I appreciate you guys trying anyways. You can't stop Mona from doing anything she doesn't want to do and I know that, but I didn't think she'd be as sneaky as that just to get to Landon."

"Never underestimate Mona, she might seem like she is lacking up here--" he tapped his temple pointedly "--But she's not. She's smarter than she pretends to be."

Then why couldn't she get a clue that Blade was never going to commit to her?

"You know, I noticed that you and Blade seemed pretty close today, before the Mona incident anyways."

"I guess."

"I know its not my business, but Blade seems like a better match for you than Landon," he said, holding a hand up before I could argue. "I'm not saying I don't like the guy, Landon's awesome, but I don't know...he just doesn't seem like your type. There doesn't seem to be the same kind of chemistry between you as there is with Blade, which I know you hate."

"Landon and I...I'll admit, when I first met him I was only interested in shoving his face through a wall. He grew on me though and we got along better, and he is attractive too, so I figured it couldn't hurt to date him. I mean, like you said he's an awesome guy."

"I feel a 'but' coming," Aidan said.

"But I think you may be right. Or maybe it's just that I've been feeling a little off lately with moving in and the incident with Jill and everything plus Blade biting me screwed me up and--"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hang on a second. Blade bit you?" Aidan asked. "When?"

 Shit. I hadn't wanted him to know about that. Aidan was giving me a wide eyed look and was clearly waiting for an explanation and I figured I should give him one, it wasn't like it would do anything anyways. The beans had, unfortunately, already been spilled. 

"Okay, you have to promise not to tell anyone, not even Mona!" I said pleaded.

"I promise, but you know if she makes me I have to because she's my master. But if it helps, I won't tell her willingly," he said.

"Good enough for me," I said before I settled in, legs folded criss cross applesauce before I told him everything that had happened that day.

Maybe it was stupid to confide in someone who could very easily pass that information to Mona, but he was the only conduit I knew, the only person who might give me a better frame of reference to work in. He knew all the players and he knew what having a bond was like. And I really needed to talk to someone who wasn't Blade about this, since my friends didn't know about the whole vamp/bond thing and I certainly didn't want to discuss cheating on Landon with people who were best friends with him. I didn't want to put anyone in an uncomfortable position. Aidan wasn't just my best option. He was my only option.

Aidan didn't say a word the entire time, though his facial expression were saying plenty, and when I finished he finally settled on confusion.

"Okay, three things, one...it figures! Bonds get stronger after sharing blood, sometimes its temporary, sometimes it helps deepen the connection overall, especially when you're new.  And you willingly gave to him, which shows how loyal you are to him and helps power it more. Two: you guys kissed, so obviously that meant something was there to start but it just got stronger because of the blood heightening your connection as well as the kissing and...um...touching. And three? It doesn't make much sense, not from what I know of anyway. It's unheard of for conduits to feel pleasure, or pain, from their master feeding off of them."

"I know, I know, I know," I groaned as my stomach lurched uncomfortably. "My bond is so screwed up. It's not fair."

"It may not be a bad thing. I mean look at you and Blade compared to Mona and I; you guys are way closer and know more about each other than we do. Mona and I tend to lean more towards a professional relationship than a friendship, though she does have her moments."

I doubted that.

"Still...why does it have to be so amazing to have him suck my blood?" I grumbled, shivering slightly as I remembered what it felt like, the heat coursing through me--

"I don't know," Aidan said, "Maybe you guys are just different. I didn't say it was impossible; I said it was unheard of. Every bond is different right? Every dynamic between those relationships is as different as the people in them. But, generally speaking, it does seem unheard of. I think it's only happened a handful of times in the past couple of hundred years, that people admitted to anyway."

"I'm not sure whether to feel special or cursed."

"Special," he said with a gentle smile. "Definitely special. I think even Blade is starting to realize that."

I swallowed hard, tugging harder on my hair nervously at his words.

"Alright I think I wigged you out enough tonight," he said, sliding off my bed with a yawn. "So I'll leave you alone with your homework. Goodnight."

"Good night, Aidan," I said awkwardly as he left my room, closing the door quietly behind him. Unloading on Aidan had only left me more stressed over everything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
259K 11.6K 44
When Americans turn 20, they become immortal- if they can afford it. Ilana is ready for her birthday so that she can become immortal and enjoy a wor...
7.1M 365K 92
If dish soap, rutabagas, and firecrackers aren't an essential part of your zombie apocalypse kit, you better grab them now! Season 1 of The Virus Wit...