To Love *The Maze Runner/Newt...

By Bri1432

"In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how well you lived, and how gracefully you let go... More

To Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 (Newt's Pov)
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
*NOT AN UPDATE*
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
QUESTION TIME
Chapter 11
Please Read
Chapter 12 (Newt's Pov)
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
To Love: Playlist 1
Chapter 15: Prologue Part 2
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22 (Newt's Pov)
To Love: Playlist 2
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
~Important Info~
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
To Love: Playlist 3
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
To Love: Playlist 4
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
To Love: Playlist 5
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Sneak Peek
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
To Love Yourself.

Chapter 57

6.2K 147 134
By Bri1432

~~~Author's Notes~~~

Heyyy! Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate! I, for one, am one of those crazy Christmas people, haha. But it's been a while since I updated, honestly it's so hard to blend my writing style with James Dashner's writing style. So getting chapters and lines from his book to fit into my fanfic without sounding awkward can sometimes be tricky. It just takes time.

ANYWAY, I brought back Newt's Pov! It's a little short, but it's there. I cover a lot of book in this chapter, so I hope that isn't annoying. And I tried a different set up for Brianne's Pov! Tell me what you think! ILY GUYS!!!

~~~~~

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

Brianne had assigned me to bed rest.

Which on all other days, would have been great- heck it would have been better than great! I would love to get more "days off" like this.

But not now. Not when the Glade was falling apart. Not when Alby, who'd been almost as whacky as Ben, was barely better. Not when Gally had been deemed dead, even though everyone had this odd feeling that he was far from the grave. Not when Thomas was messing with everything and not when the new girl who broke our boxes pattern was still knocked out in the other room.

I didn't wanna be stuck in bed when things were this bad.

But nevertheless, here I was. Could I have gotten up and ignored Brianne's commands? Yes, of course I could have. But that seemed childish, and I needed to start acting more mature.

A knock at the door, interrupted my solitude. More like my solitary confinement, but I won't make things sound too blue.

"Come in," I announced, hoping it was Brianne. Maybe she's coming to tell me that I can leave this room. The door creaked open and in walked a tired looking Alby.

Contrary to my want to be an adult, I was still a little pissed at Alby. He was on the brink of death and he tried to strangle himself. After everything that we went through as friends, he tried to kill himself right in front of me. It shouldn't make me angry, but it did. Alby saw firsthand how devastating suicide is, and yet he still went and did that.

"Newt, how ya' feeling?" He asked, hands in his pockets. Maybe his near-death experience had sobered him. His eyes looked kind.

"Alright," I answered shortly. I wanted to hear this shank out, but I didn't wanna seem too forgiving either.

"Look, Newt, I'm sorry. You knew something bad was gonna happen out in the maze, but I went anyway. For that I am sorry," I almost chocked at his apology.

What? That's not why I'm angry. Does he not remember what he tried to do?

"What?" I finally voiced my confusion.

"You were right," Alby shrugged his shoulders and touched his forehead with one of his hands, "I didn't wanna upset you."

"That's not why I'm upset," I scowled, wishing Brianne would walk through the door and take over this conversation for me. She always knows what to say.

"Oh?" Alby questioned, making me angrier.

"You tried to kill yourself, Alby!" I shouted, but then regained my composure, "You tried to choke yourself with me right in the room. Do you remember that?"

"I- I remember some of it."

"That's what upset me. The fact that you couldn't see how much that hurt me. You should know out of everyone, other than Brianne, how scary it is to almost lose someone like that. And then you went and did it right in front of me!"

"I know, I'm sorry for that too, but it wasn't me! It was like someone was controlling me to do it. Like someone was holding my hands and forcing them up to my neck. It was when I tried to tell you what I'd remembered. Something didn't want me to share my memories," Alby explained, "I would never scare you like that on purpose."

"What did you remember?" I asked.

"I'm scared to share too much and have the demons attack me again," Alby half-joked, "But I remembered Thomas, Newt. He isn't who we think he is."

"Who is he?" Now things were getting interesting. Not only had I always secretly assumed Thomas was not a normal glader, but now my assumptions could have facts to support them.

"He's one of them, I think," Alby hinted, his eyebrows raising.

I almost gasped, immediately knowing what he meant, "A creator?"

"He helped them. But we can't do anything to him, yet, because what if the memories I was given were fake?"

"There's always that," Suddenly I felt my little balloon of hope pop, "What else did you remember?"

"The world. This glade is the only home we have. The home you dream about doesn't exist. The world out there is shucked," Alby breathed, clearly warning me.

"How so?"

"I can't talk about it anymore. They'll stop me," Alby's eyes were wide and I was a little nervous. Alby was acting really odd.

"You think the creators were behind you choking yourself?" I contemplated, realizing that it wasn't that crazy of an assumption. The creators are behind everything these days.

"Yah, I really do. I would never try something like that on my own," Alby sighed, "I think the creators are behind a lot of the wacky stuff happening. I heard Gally's gone out of his mind."

"He's definitely," I paused, "uh, gone. Nowhere to be seen. Some gladers said they saw him run into the maze and never come back. Maybe he's gone for good?"

"And I also heard that you got married while I was out?" Alby smiled for a moment, but his smile quickly faded, leaving an empty look across his features.

"I did. It was kinda last minute," I glanced down at my ring. I grinned at it, remembering how great everything between Brianne and I was. We were married! And then I remembered how I threw up last night and the fuzzy feeling escaped my heart.

"I wish I could have been there," Was Alby upset that he'd missed it?

"Don't worry, once we're out of here, we're gonna officially get married. This was just because we're both extremely impatient," I smiled again. No matter how hopeless the big picture of life looked, I was so happy about the little puzzle piece I could see at this very moment, because although the rest was still very much undone, that one piece had fallen into place perfectly.

"Alright, well, feel better. I should probably get to work. I have a lot to catch up on," Alby awkwardly waved, before backing out of the room. With that, I had this sharp feeling that the changed Alby had replaced the old Alby forever. And that made me, well, sad.

~~~~~

~~~Brianne's Pov~~~

The day that followed Newt's sickness came and went with many unfortunate happenings. Newt felt better just as quickly as he'd gotten sick, which was a huge relief, but the rest of our little world had started falling apart.

On the second morning after our wedding, the sun disappeared. No not the metaphorical sun, the real sun. Or not the real sun, but the sunlight. In other words, the glade's sky had been replaced with a dull gray. The crystalline blue color had morphed into a soggy blank fog overnight. Not even a fog, a canvas. The colorless sky, although impossible, seemed to lack depth. It looked flat, although my scientific memory understands that it could never be flat. And as crazy as things can get here, there is no actual way the creators could remove a big ball of light and energy and heat from the sky. There's just no possible way.

But when we woke up that morning, that's what seemed to have happened.

"Newt?" I asked, rolling over in bed and poking him. It was 7:30. Early in the morning, but not early enough that the sunrise wouldn't have begun. So why, with our bedroom curtains pulled open, did it seem so dull and dark outside?

Newt mumbled something into his pillow, waving me off.

"I think something's wrong," I said, knowing this would get him up. I thought about screaming, but I needed to stop acting like a child. Newt didn't have anything over me anymore, we were pretty much equals. When I'd first met him, he'd been the high and mighty Keeper of the Runners. Not gonna lie, I found him intimidating. Not anymore though. We were probably, looks wise, about the same age. I might even appear older.

Newt quickly raised his head to look at me, "What?"

"Look outside," I whispered, pointing at the window.

Newt rolled out of bed, still not seeing the problem. He went over there and peered outside, before he turned to face me again, "Why'd you wake me up so early? I don't see anything."

"Newt, it's 7:30," And then at my words, he sharply looked outside again.

"The sun," He said, breathlessly, "It's gone?"

"I don't know, but I've never seen the sky look like this," I got out of bed also.

"The glade looks so dead," Newt mumbled, in a low voice.

"What do we do?" I asked, as Newt threw on his sweatshirt and ran for the door. I followed behind him.

"Everyone's gonna freak out, you need to be calm with me."

Once again, I'm faced with how vital Newt's role here in the Glade is: without his calm voice of reason, everything would fall into chaos. I always thought I was the only one in Newt's life to shed hope on things, but I couldn't have been more wrong. He had himself. Newt gave Newt the greatest ounce of hope. It was all riding on whether he listened to it or not.

"Yah, yah, I'll be as calm as I can," I smiled, and Newt quickly glanced back at me, smiling also.

"I have to find Alby, before," and with that we pushed through the doors of the Homestead. The fresh, cool air hit me and normally I would have loved the feeling, but not now. The dullness mixed with the coolness set me on edge even more. And then there was the crowd of gladers already around the box, "Before that," Newt sighed, speaking of the rowdy group.

We ran over to everyone, and everyone turned towards us. They wanted Newt's explanation for why things were the way they were. They believed Newt would tell them exactly what had gone wrong, but I don't think Newt knew.

"What's going on?!" Someone shouted.

"Are we all gonna die?!" Another voiced.

"The sun's been pulled right out of the sky!"

Newt closed his eyes momentarily, "I don't know why we're in darkness, or not darkness, but monochromatic light. But once I know everything, I will not hesitate to inform all of you. We knew things were getting bad here, but this might just be a mistake."

"How is it possible that the sun could just go away?" A Glader asked. Others shouted also.

"It isn't," Newt started, but Alby cut him off.

"Everyone go back to whatever it is that you're supposed to do. Newt and I need to talk privately!" The Gladers, scared of Alby's powerful voice, quickly dispersed, leaving the three of us alone by the box, "You too," He said, pointing at me.

Newt grabbed my hand to keep me from leaving, "Whatever you need to say, you can and will say to the both of us."

"Newt, quit being ridiculous."

I wanted to just go, but Newt held me by him, "I'm serious. Say what you will, but it'll be in front of Brianne."

"Fine," Alby huffed, knowing that he'd lost this battle, "What the heck happened to the sky?"

"I really don't know," Newt breathed, holding my hand tightly.

"The sun is not a movable object."

I spoke up, feeling as though my words would benefit the conversation, "If the sun is gone, that makes me think that maybe there was never actually a sun in the first place."

Alby shot me a dirty look, but Newt turned his head to me, thinking over my words, "Thats it," He finally said.

"I mean, we never actually saw the sun. There was never a circular ball of light in our sky, we just assumed the light was the sun. It probably never was," I explained further.

"So it's fake," Newt mumbled, looking around, "None of this is real, you think?"

"Well, we're real and the plants are real and the animals are real," Alby said.

"So either way, without the light, whether real or artificial, the plants are gonna die," Newt frustratedly sighed, "But don't tell anyone our ideas, Alby, it'll throw everyone into a panic. For now, we just have to hope that the light'll come back."

I wanted to nod or say something in agreement to Newt's optimism, but I found it incredibly hard to believe that this was temporary. The sun was gone.

~~~

The second unfortunate happening on this day, rolled around at noon.

"I know what's gonna happen, but I'm here anyway," Newt said, standing over the box hole.

"Who knows, maybe we're all just being extremely pessimistic today. I mean, it's gloomy without the bright sunshine," I tried to have hope.

"The box hasn't moved in a week," Newt sighed, looking at me. I was sitting on the ground.

"The creators couldn't have abandoned us, right?" I asked, feeling a weight in my chest. Without the box, we wouldn't last more than a couple of weeks. We needed food and supplies.

"I don't know. I thought they were bad people before, but if they don't send the box, they're worse than I believed."

Newt didn't wanna say it, but without the box, we were stranded. Without the sun, we were stranded. The sun was what helped the plants and crops to grow. Without it, we weren't gonna be able to grow anything. Now, if the box isn't full of food, we are totally screwed.

As time ticked by, the likelihood of the box coming up, seemed slim, "That was it," Newt said, looking at his watch, "They aren't sending it," Newt flipped open the doors of the box.

There it was, the empty crate, right where we'd left it.

"They've always sent it at the same time every week for the past two years. If its late, its just not coming."

"They've cut us off," I said sadly, "First the sun. Now, the box. Do they want us to die?"

This was awful. We were doomed. And I know that Newt wanted me to remain calm, but I was starting to feel scared.

"No they don't want us dead, I don't think," Newt paused, stepping away from the disappointing box. "They want us to leave."

"You think this is the creators trying to make us find an exit?" I asked, feeling hopeful.

"I really hope so, because if not, then we might be done."

~~~

Tragedies three and four came not as bad things at first, but ended up hurting us all a lot more than one would have first thought.

I walked into the Medjack's room totally ready to get this day over with. What else could go wrong, honestly? Newt was off with Alby discussing and planning our next move as a group. And I was working. One would have thought that the sudden problems might offset everyone's jobs for the day, but nope.

As I stepped into the room, I braced myself for the sarcastic comments and remarks from Clint and Jeff, but nothing came.

I turned, after closing the door, to ask why they had gone quiet, but my silent question was answered as I saw who was in the room: Victoria.

"What's she doing in here?" I asked, not hiding my dislike.

Jeff stood from his seat and crossed his arms over his chest, "She's a Medjack."

"No, she isn't," I said, giving them a look, "She was demoted to Slopper last month."

"Things changed," Victoria finally said, smiling at me, "I've changed."

I almost lost my self-control for a second, "No, that's not how life works. I am the Keeper and I said that you are not a Medjack."

Clint raised his hand to catch my attention, "Alby told her we needed help, so he reassigned her to our group."

My lips slightly parted and I wanted to protest against this whole system, but I smiled, summoning my inner Amelia, as I said, "Well, in that case, welcome back."

"It's good to be back," Victoria used the same voice I had used.

Jeff and Clint eventually left the room for dinner and Victoria and I were left alone. Well, alone with Teresa.

"We don't have to be enemies," Victoria said, sitting on the bed.

"Yes, we do," I muttered, turning away from Teresa.

"I mean it. You won, Brianne. I've said that a million times."

"It's not about winning or losing."

"Why'd you and Newt get married now? You always planned to do it out in the real world," Why'd she just change the conversation like that?

"Love can't wait-" A gasp from behind me, caused me to cut off my sentence.

Who made that sound?

I looked at Teresa not expecting her to move, but when her eyes fluttered open, I was proven wrong.

I rushed next to her side. She looked up, trying to recognize me. The look in her eyes told me she knew something.

She glanced at Victoria, as she sat up, "Who are you?"

"We're," I stumbled for the right words. Teresa was awake, "doctors, kind of. I need you to lie back down, okay? You aren't in danger."

"Where's Thomas?" She gasped again, before grabbing the pen on the bedside table. Rolling up her sleeve, she started messily writing on her arm.

"Put that down!" Victoria shouted.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

I pulled the pen out of her grasp and threw it to the other side of the room, "What did you write?" I twisted her arm so that I could see.

Wicked is good.

"What does that mean? What do you know about WICKED?" I asked, and she gave a scared look.

"My name is Teresa."

"I know that," I said, trying to get her to speak more.

"You knew that?" Victoria asked, "I'm not the crazy one after all."

"Do you know me?" I asked, letting go of her arm.

"Where is Thomas?" She asked, not answering me.

"He's not here, right now."

"I want to see him!" She screamed, and jumped up from the bed. By the time I'd realized what was happening, she had already pulled the door open.

But there Jeff was standing in the doorway, "When did she wake up and who let her out of bed!"

Then all at once Teresa kicked Jeff out of the way. Jeff buckled over in pain and I can't say that I wasn't happy to see him getting what he deserved.

I looked at Victoria who looked at me, "Go get Newt," She said, nodding.

"I'm going with you," Jeff said, walking after me.

I found Newt standing next to Alby right outside the homestead. Did they not see Teresa run by or?

"Newt! It's the girl, she's gone," I frantically shouted, throwing my hands in the air.

"What do you mean, she's gone? Isn't she still asleep?" Newt asked, touching my shoulder.

"She woke up and then ran away," Jeff informed, out of breath.

"I thought you would have seen her, she just ran out of the homestead."

"Sorry, we were talking about all of the other issues," Alby sighed.

"What else happened?" I asked, looking to Newt. He's more likely to tell me than Alby is.

"Later," Newt said, "Right now we need to get- Whats her name? Teresa?" Newt tried to play off, "Do you know where she would have went? She doesn't know anything about this place."

"She was talking about Thomas before she ran-" I started, and Newt snapped his fingers.

"Thomas- where is he?" Newt asked, turning to Alby.

"I have no idea."

"He hides in the woods sometimes," Newt shrugged his shoulders, looking towards the deadheads. Lo and behold, there Teresa was sprinting into the forest, "Well, that answers our question."

"Lets go then!" I rushed, and all four of us went after her.

After a far distance of following, or trying to follow, we heard the voices. The voices of Thomas and Teresa.

Newt pushed through some bushes, into a clearing, "Teresa! Why'd you go out here? Did you have permission to leave the Medjacks room? Jeff said you just escaped."

"He forgot to mention the part where I kicked him in the groin," Teresa responded, making me laugh. Like literally laugh out loud. Jeff shot me an annoyed look.

"Congrats, Jeff. If my memory serves me right, you're the first one to actually get their butt kicked by a girl. Maybe I'm wrong, though," Newt giggled.

Teresa gave Newt a look and I suddenly didn't like her, "Keep talking and you'll be next, blondie," Newt just stared at her and then at Thomas.

Okay, I take that back, I love her, oh my god.

"Actually Nick got beat up by Victoria, so we can stop this conversation," I said, interrupting.

Alby stepped forward, "I'm sick of this," He pointed at Thomas, "I wanna know who you are, who this shank girl is, and how you guys know each other."

Thomas seemed to deflate, "I swear-"

"She came straight to you after waking up, shuck face."

Thomas looked at Alby angrily, "So what? I know her, she knows me- or at least we used to. That doesn't mean anything! I can't remember anything. Neither can she- Brianne and Newt knew each other when they met too! Is nobody concerned about that?"

Woah, buddy, chill. Newt and I have nothing to do with this.

"Don't go saying stuff you don't know anything about-" Newt started, protesting his comment.

Alby interrupted, "What did you do, Teresa?"

Teresa didn't respond.

"What did you do! First the sky, now this!" Alby screamed.

Teresa calmly said, "I triggered something. Not on purpose. I swear it. The Ending. I don't know what that means."

Newt made a face and I went to ask him why he cringed, but Thomas asked first, "What's wrong, Newt? What happened?"

Alby flipped out, "Whats wrong?! I'll tell you what's wrong, shank. Too busy making lovey eyes to see what happened. Do you not notice what time it is?"

Everyone with watches looked at their wrists, and then I realized. It was late.

"The walls, you shuck. The doors. They didn't close tonight."

And I swear, my heart stopped for a moment, at his words.

~~~~~

~~~Author's Notes~~~

I wanted so much to happen in December! I wanted to finish To Love and get 300k but all of that is going to be pushed further into the future. I like to take my time with things, if you haven't noticed already, haha.

But I've been working on other things, like Everything I Didn't Say and my The Death Cure Fanfic, which I won't name yet, unless I already have? But I've been really inspired to write the third book. I have almost the whole thing planned. AND LET ME SAY, anyone who enjoys my story, someone out there maybe?, will really like what I wanna write.

Okay sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself! Everything I Didn't Say will be posted on February 14! Valentines Day!!! Yes, I've been planning that one for a while!

BUT IM SO EXCITED TO SHARE EVERYTHING IVE BEEN WORKING ON! AND BTW I still always following everyone back on here! BUT ILY GUYS AND I'LL TALK TO YOU SOON!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.7K 805 23
"it's like she's so... effortlessly beautiful" minho spoke, not even thinking about the words that were spilling out of his mouth. "i can't explain i...
1.9K 61 12
What happens when the beginning becomes the end? When freedom takes away the most valuable thing to you? What happens when the life you once knew ha...
2.6K 68 22
"𝕐𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 π•Ÿπ• π•₯ 𝕛𝕦𝕀π•₯ π•’π•Ÿπ•ͺ 𝕀π•₯𝕒𝕣, β„‚π•π•–π•ž. 𝕐𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 π•žπ•ͺ ℕ𝕠𝕣π•₯𝕙 π•Šπ•₯𝕒𝕣." After escaping the terrors of the Maze, Clementine and h...
17.1K 667 27
***DISCLAIMER*** This was written two years BEFORE "The Fever Code" was published. Even though the sky was rarely grey in Paradise, the appearance...