The Hunter's Queen (ICS Book...

By winterstarfire

Vincent Shaw is defeated, half-dead, and broken in more ways than one. A powerful werewolf now in exile Vince... More

Author's Note
Encyclopedia of the Supernatural
Prologue
Chapter One - The Hunter's Savior
Chapter Two - The Alchemist Saves The Wolf
Chapter Three - The Hunter Awakens
Chapter Four - Nicholas Storm
Chapter Five - Sleeping Arrangements
Chapter Six - Pleasure at the Hunter's Command
Chapter Seven - The Wolf Feels Regret
Chapter Eight - Temper's Flare
Chapter Nine - Fighting the Pull
Chapter Ten - Giving in to Temptation
Chapter Eleven - Taking the Pleasure
Chapter Twelve - Scheming Mystic's
Chapter Thirteen - Nicholas Tracks Down a Witch
Chapter Fourteen - The Wolf and the Alchemist Converse
Chapter Fifteen - How to Pleasure a Wolf
Chapter Sixteen - The Hunter Meets His Past
Chapter Seventeen - The Wolf Wakes
Chapter Eighteen - Nicholas and Betrayal
Chapter Nineteen - The Hunter's Mistake
Chapter Twenty - The Past Burns
Chapter Twenty-One - Sleeping With a Wolf
Chapter Twenty-Two - The Alchemist's Pleasure
Chapter Twenty-Three - Evelyn the Wolf Rider
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Hunter's Claim
Chapter Twenty-Five - Nicholas Reaches the Edge
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Best Day Ever
Chapter Twenty-Seven - The Hunter's a Big Tease
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Nicholas Finally Gets His Way
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Her New Best Day Ever
Chapter Thirty - His Worst Day Ever
Chapter Thirty-One - Evelyn the Meek is Dead
Chapter Thirty-Two - The Demon Kings Revenge
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Pack
Chapter Thirty-Five - Submission
Chapter Thirty-Six - Nicholas the Death Bringer
Chapter Thirty-Seven - A Revelation
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The Ascended
Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Face of True Madness
Chapter Forty - Redemption
Chapter Forty-One - A King Among Wolves
Chapter Forty-Two - The Hunter's Queen - End
The Mercenaries Dark Desires - Book Three Excerpt
Bonus Chapter - A Very Wolfy Christmas

Chapter Thirty-Three - Scheming Mystic's

90.1K 3.8K 901
By winterstarfire

AN: We have a few more chapters to go. Michael is still out there, wonder what he's up to....

Scheming Mystic's

Eve blinked her eyes open, frowning against the sunlight pouring through an open window. It was too damn bright and she was so tired. Groaning she rolled over, instinctively running her hand over the bed in search for Vincent. When all she felt were smooth sheets she scowled against her pillow.

Sitting up she looked around groggily, trying to figure out where the hell she was. The large four poster bed was strangely familiar to her. Her glasses were missing, the room around her a blur.

Her eyes landed on a large form sleeping in a chair beside the bed.

"Vincent?"

The male stirred. "It's Stephan, my queen."

"Stephan!" She nearly fell out of the bed, rushing over to him. Without thinking she tossed her arms around his neck, hugging him tight. "I thought they killed you."

The big werewolf chuckled, patting her back. "I've been better."

Eve tensed, remembering he was poisoned by shadowlock, which meant his healing was compromised. "Are you alright? Are you in pain?"

"I'll live," he grunted.

Leaning back she cupped his bearded face, squinting down at him. "First thing I'll make you a cure."

She felt his sense of relief and pure gratitude. "Thank you." His words were full of so much more than just appreciation for her help. Affection warmed her for the burly man and she knew by their bond that he felt the same.

"Where's Vincent?" She could feel him once more, her mind anxiously reached out to him.

"Meeting with your aunt...and the other one." Stephan shivered. "A bit odd that one. She creeps me out."

"The other one..." Eve murmured with a frown just as the door banged open.

"Evelyn." Vincent's rough voice had her heart hammering in her chest. Stephan stood, setting Evelyn away from him as Vincent let out a snarl of warning.

"Vincent," she hissed.

Vincent ignored her, pulling Eve to him roughly. His arms wrapped around her as he hauled her up against him, his face burying against her neck. "Don't ever do that again."

She wasn't even sure of what she'd done. Her memories were a fog. Whatever it was she was almost afraid to see it. "I'm sorry."

"Leave us," Vincent instructed Stephan.

The other man nodded. "Yes, Alpha."

Eve frowned. Alpha...

"Are you alright?" Vincent pulled back to cup her face, urgently twisting it back and forth as if he were inspecting her for damage. "Are you in pain? Fuck, you scared the hell out of me."

"I did?"

His eyes widened. "You don't remember?"

Eve bit her lip. "I don't...I'm not sure." The memories began to flood her mind. The absolute fear that she was going to lose the man she loved. And there was nothing she could do to stop it. Nothing she could do to save him. In that moment she'd cursed how weak she was. If she had power like her mother she could stop them. She'd wished with all her might that she was stronger.

She'd watched in horror as that demon raised his sword over Vincent's neck, the despair overwhelming her. Then suddenly she'd been filled with a burning heat. Her body had pulsed with power and she'd relished it. Fury had filled her.

And she knew, she would kill them all.

"Oh god." She realized she was sobbing as Vincent held her, murmuring to her softly. "Did I kill them?"

Vincent leaned down and kissed her forehead. "No."

"Did I...did I hurt someone?"

"It wasn't your fault."

Clutching at his shirt she implored him, "What happened. Tell me."

"The mercenary, Nicholas. You may have cursed him." Vincent shrugged, clearly unconcerned.

"I cursed him?" Holy shit! She cursed someone. But that meant... "I'm a mystic? I mean, I'm really a mystic, of power."

"Aye." Vincent rubbed her back soothingly.

Her mind was spinning and she felt overwhelmed by it all. She was thankful Vincent was holding her as her legs would have buckled. She rested her head against his shoulder, desperately trying to gather her thoughts. "Where are we?"

"My home in Wales," he answered softly. "Hearthshire."

"I knew this room seemed familiar." It was Vincent's room. "I can't see."

"Shit, hold on." Setting her on the bed Vincent rummaged in a drawer, returning with her glasses. "I assumed you wouldn't need them."

Evelyn felt a stab of disappointment, of course she still needed her glasses. Slipping them on she glanced up at Vincent. His wounds were already healed, those blue eyes glowing softly. "I thought I was going to lose you."

"I'm sorry, Evelyn." He ran a hand over his beard in agitation, pacing in front of her. "I failed, again. I didn't protect you."

"That's not true!" she cried. "If I hadn't tried to s-stop that man...you at l-least would have stood a chance...it was my fault...you told m-me to stay..." she broke off in tears, wiping at her nose.

"Neither of you are at fault. I am," Levina announced from the doorway.

Vincent wrapped his arm around Evelyn's shoulder, a growl in his chest. "Explain."

Entering the room Levina crossed her arms before raising her brows and peering at the doorway. "Well, aren't you coming? You were part of this too."

A woman's head poked around the edge of the door-frame, her long braided hair trailing on the floor. "Hello."

Eve's jaw nearly dropped. "Mags?"

Mags waved a hand, a blush creeping up her cheeks. "Hey, cousin, welcome to the dark side."

Levina cleared her throat.

"Oops, I mean the light side," Mags corrected quickly.

Eve just stared at her cousin in shock. Mags never left her home, never! Not only was she a mystic, she was also a seer. Not just any seer, a powerful as fuck seer. Mags was constantly being torn between the present and future. To keep herself and others safe Mags stayed in one place, it was the only way for her to know reality from vision.

Stepping into the room Mags peered around, blinking rapidly. "Pretty butterflies."

Levina sighed, "There are no butterflies."

"Not now," Mags quipped. She was the same height as Evelyn, a thick red shawl over her shoulders, covering most of her white dress. Sitting in a chair Mags pulled out a long pipe, lighting it with the tip of her finger. "I like it here. The twins are going to cover this room with butterflies."

"Twins?" Eve squeaked.

Mags frowned. "Oh, has that happened already?"

"You're early," Levina snapped.

"Opps! Never mind then!"

Vincent shifted beside Eve with unease. "It's okay, you get used to it," Eve reassured him, patting his bearded cheek and trying to slow her slamming heart.

"She said twins," Vincent rumbled.

Eve grinned up at him, meeting his own gaze of wonderment.

Levina beamed, looking between the two of them. "Oh, this is just wonderful! I knew you two would be perfect for each other."

"I believe that was me," Mags interjected with a grin.

Eve resisted the urge to rub her brow, the moment broken. Levina was bad enough to deal with, tossing Mags into the mix was chaos. "You two need to explain, now," Eve demanded, crossing her arms.

"Uh oh." Mags wagged her eyebrows, puffing on her pipe. Then she glanced around in confusion. "When did you get a dragon?"

"Wrong realm, Mags," Levina stated. "Listen, Evelyn, I love you, never doubt that. So, just keep that in mind."

Oh, great! Eve knew she was about to be pissed. "Am I a mystic?" she asked.

"From the day you were born," Levina informed her.

"That's impossible. I'm just a halfling."

"Only females have the gift, Evelyn, you know that. Therefore all mystics are halflings. Didn't that occur to you?"

Suddenly she felt very stupid. "But, I never had power."

Her aunt smiled in bemusement. "You did, you just don't remember. You repressed your gifts, even as a small child you hated the idea of using magic. Hated being different. You buried your power so deep that nothing I did could awaken them. You needed a catalyst."

Beside her Vincent tensed. She could feel his rage. "It was you. You told that fucking prick where to find us. You put Evelyn at risk."

"I would never put my niece at risk, wolf," Levina snapped. "And yes, I told him. It was the only way."

"You bitch!" Vincent roared.

Evelyn reached out, grabbing at his shirt. She could feel his wolf, knew he was about to turn. "Don't, please. I need to hear all of this."

Vincent scowled down at her, his chest heaving. "This was all because of her. We were nothing but pawns in her game."

"If it wasn't for me, hunter, would not have your mate," Levina stated. "Keep that in mind."

Vincent quieted, his anger quelling slightly. "I despise you, sorceress."

"Trust me, you wont for long." Levina gave him a knowing look.

Mags chuckled. "Oh, it's a doozey!"

Eve gritted her teeth. "You betrayed me. You let that man find us, knowing what would happen?" Eve was torn between anger and hurt.

Her aunt nodded. "I did."

She decided to go with anger. "I knew you were scheming something!" She threw her hands up in the air at her own stupidity.

"Old habits die hard," Levina said, her tone unapologetic. "Really, Evelyn, I just couldn't allow my beautiful niece to be living as an old hermit for a moment longer. It was driving me crazy. I was afraid one day I'd show up to a horde of cats."

Eve winced. "I've never shown the slightest interest in cats."

"That's what you focused on?" Vincent grumbled, giving her a hard look.

Scowling Eve glared at her cousin. "Let me guess, you told her about all of this? About Vincent?"

Mags shrugged. "To be fair I did tell you about the werewolf."

"What?" Eve gaped. "When?"

The other mystic blew a smoke ring. "Don't you remember? As a gift for your eightieth birthday I gave you a prediction."

Eve frowned, thinking back. Then her eyes widened. "When you said I would find a stray I thought you meant a dog. Not a werewolf!"

Levina waved her hand dismissively, "He was pretty much the same thing."

"Right here," Vincent snarled.

"What if I didn't want to awaken," Eve said. "Did that ever occur to you?" The room began to shake as she felt heat rise in her body. "I almost killed, I was completely enraged."

Levina softened. "Part of what we are is the darkness. You remember how I was, how vengeful?" Eve nodded, suddenly afraid of her own self. "We can become lost in it, just as you were. Mags and I, we've both struggled with this."

"I don't want to be like you," she whispered. Her words weren't meant to hurt, they were simply the truth.

"You don't have to worry," Mags said. Standing she walked up to Eve, patting her cheek.

Blinking back tears she murmured, "Why not?"

Mags smiled, hugging her tightly. "Because you have something we never did. You have your wolf."

AN: I know I've tossed a few more characters your way. Hopefully, not too many? Mags is a big favorite of mine and has a role in the third book. I know seers have been done before so I tried to make her unique. I just love her. I've already got her whole story planned out. Not sure if I'll ever write it but...squeal. *sorry, fangirl over my own character moment*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

333 34 17
please note: WIP; Mature themes and R18+ content. A nameless Witch escapes her brutal captures, only to fall into the clutches of the most vicious b...
266K 8.3K 37
06.10.21~~ #2 in love 06.10.21~~ #3 in romance 06.10.21~~ #1 in werewolf 06.10.21~~ #1 in mates "Why do you hate me?" I cupped her cheeks and deeply...
11.5K 332 46
Evelyn has everything. She is strong, independent, beautiful and a soon to be alpha. Everyone she comes across either wants to be with her or wants t...
52 20 20
Aston was a man hardened by years of leading his new pack. He wasn't the alpha, but he acted like it. When his alpha lost his mate, he died a little...