Perennial Rose | {Levi x OC}...

By Kamisama961

Renata Mendelssohn has been confined inside her master's home as a slave for the majority of her life. Along... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Ground*
Chapter 2: Revelation*
Chapter 3: The Encounter*
Chapter 4: My Name is Erwin Smith*
Chapter 5: Her Resolve*
Chapter 6: Preparation*
Chapter 7: The Night of His Fall*
Chapter 8: Sorrow's Requiem
Chapter 9: Incomprehensible
Chapter 10: A Decision is Made
Chapter 11: Until Our Next Embrace
Chapter 12: A Fair Arrival
Chapter 13: Nightly Disturbance
Chapter 14: A Test of Trust
Chapter 15: Bittersweet Midnight
Chapter 16: Unexpected Change
Chapter 17: The Search for a Reason
Chapter 17.5: Her Rose Tea
Chapter 18: The Expedition
Chapter 19: "Good Work"
Chapter 20: Let Fate Play
Chapter 21: A Wife's Visit
Chapter 22: A Stranger Emerges
Chapter 23: I Cannot Retreat Now
Chapter 24: A Long Carriage Ride
Chapter 25: New Bonds
Chapter 26: The Maiden's Knight
Chapter 27: The Maiden in Distress
Intermission
Chapter 28: Into the Light
Chapter 29: Fateful Stairway
Chapter 30: Reflection and Realization
Chapter 31: Renata's Squad
Chapter 32: The Dunce Hat
Chapter 33: Subconscious Benevolence
Chapter 34: Our Paths
Chapter 35: Sincere Apologies
Chapter 36: Night Before the Thirty-Third
Chapter 37: Point of No Return
Chapter 38: His Path
Chapter 39: Efflorescence
Chapter 40: Broken
Chapter 41: Castle in the Sky
Chapter 42: Tonight's Final Ordeal {COMPLETELY REVISED}
Chapter 43: The Advent and the Exodus
Author's Note: Important News
Chapter 44: Dawn
A/N: Perennial Strawberry
Chapter 46: Cold Ties
Chapter 46.5: Birth of Levi
Chapter 47: Normalcy
A/N: Chapter Revisions!
Chapter 48: Candlelight
A/N: Art Book
Chapter 49: Proceed
Chapter 50: Progress

Chapter 45: Resiliency

4.9K 231 106
By Kamisama961

Within Wall Rose, New Survey Corps Headquarters

"Levi, pass me the water."

One irritated look later, and the pitcher of water skids across the table and into Commander Erwin's hands. After it is carefully poured into his glass, he brings the rim to his lips and tilts it back. He then sets the glass down and wipes his mouth clean with the back of his hand.

Levi also takes a long sip from his tasteless black tea. "This is a pretty grand mess hall, Erwin," he comments after bringing the mug back down to its respective place on the table. He then glances at the rest of the dark room, "What kind of money did you have on you when you built this thing?"

"The dimensions are actually smaller than the mess hall in our current building," Erwin responds as he rests both arms on the table. "The lighting must be making the room appear more spacious than it actually is."

Levi curls his finger around the handle of his cup. He solemnly lowers his gaze and brings his arm to the back of his chair.

"That old geezer must be constipated," He drinks from his tea before continuing, "Making us talk about the stupid lighting while we wait."

"I see you're still as impatient as ever."

Levi gently raises an eyebrow as he looks at the commander for a brief second, but eventually lowers his head after he had gotten a short glimpse of him. "Whatever," he mutters under his breath before drinking from his mug once more.

A growing emptiness engulfs the space around these two men, as they feel the absence of the other officials who have accompanied them on this trip. The two days spent in this newly constructed castle were tiresome to the others as they had spent many hours discussing potential uses for the many rooms of the building and where the usual day-to-day protocols would take place in the new setting. However, these busy days could not possibly exhaust these two vessels of eternal energy.

Erwin drinks from his glass once more. Levi does the same, but more lethargically.

Silence rings again until, finally, the long awaited steps of their guest approaches.

A chair is pulled back, its seat creaks under his weight, and the great blow of a sigh follows.

"My apologies for making you two wait long," the man grunts tiredly.

Levi attempts to further accuse the man for the long wait, but Erwin inserts his voice just in time, "Good evening, Commander Zackly."

The water is messily poured into another spare glass. The old man consumes its whole amount in a few loud gulps.

Levi silently scowls at the man's failure to clean the water trickling down his scruffy beard.

"I must say, Erwin. You did fairly well in constructing this building even with such a limited budget," Darius mentions as he leans back into his chair and places both forearms on the corresponding arms of his seat.

"Your praise is much appreciated, Commander," Erwin admits.

"Make sure you send an account of the transactions and inventory of the building materials to my secretary."

"I will be sure to do that."

Levi's eyes bounce from one man to the next as the two discuss the tentative date of relocation to the new building and subsequently transition the conversation to the upcoming expedition. Erwin is enthusiastic as usual. Darius starts to wear down from the long discussion. Levi adds his opinions here and there.

A casual talk among these leaders persists within a period of time and gradually comes to an end when Erwin thanks Darius, "I am grateful that you were able to visit this building," he fixes the collar of his shirt and adds, "I should also relay my thanks for providing additional aid to the project."

Levi straigtens his posture at this remark.

Darius notices the man's sudden interest in the subject of conversation and inquires, "You didn't tell your subordinates, I presume?" He raises a loose finger towards Levi.

"Don't tell me you've made another secret deal again," Levi scoffs as he is reminded of the mess that the commander's previous gamble had created.

Erwin looks down to observe the inside of his glass. His apparent dodging of the subject brings Levi to assume that his speculation is correct. However, this avoidance is short lived when Erwin informs him with sure confidence, "Commander Zackly had transferred a small amount of the food and supply funds from the Military Police to the funding of this building."

"A negligible amount on their part, considering the fact that a portion of tax money is heavily allocated towards their funds and their accounting managers don't do their job well for the most part," the old man adds wearily while pushing his sleeves up his hairy forearms and folding his arms, "But I am sure it serves to be a significant amount on the Survey Corps's side of the deal."

Levi slowly sits back in his chair after receiving such knowlege.

It seems that Zackly fancies making these kinds of deals as well.

However, Levi is well aware that his decision to follow through with this may have been influenced by a sort of bias.

Levi notices that Zackly had brought out a sealed envelope from the inside of his shirt and is currently sliding it towards Erwin. "Do me a favor and give this to her for me, Erwin," he clears his throat before mentioning, "It will reach her faster this way."

A light flickers in his formerly dull eyes at the very moment when he had made this request.

Thus, Levi is able to conclude that the influence may not have been as light as he had thought.

The unkempt man examines his hands and is suddenly overcome with a gentleness characterized by that of an elder man. "She has eloquence like her mother," he mutters, "I can tell just by the way she writes."

He pushes his glasses up to the bridge of his nose and looks calmly towards Erwin. "Surely, she was able to make it through this recent expedition?" he asks. His expression subtly indicates worry.

Both Erwin and Levi look somewhat bewilderingly to this man who had made such an abrupt change while he spoke of his daughter. However, Erwin is the first to break from their bafflement when he pushes Zackly's letter towards Levi and insists, "Levi works more closely with Renata. Therefore, I am confident that he will be able to deliver your letter much faster."

By averting his focus, he directs the old man's attention to his subordinate at the other end of the table. "You mustn't worry, Commander. Your daughter is alive. However, I believe that he is the one who can answer your question with greater detail."

Erwin rises from his chair and stands tall before Darius. "Please excuse me. I must retire now," He announces before bidding the two men a good night and making his way out of the dining hall.

The old man scratches his scalp after watching him leave.

Levi takes another sip from his tea.

"You do know that he's not actually going to sleep, right? His wanting to retire is an excuse to return to his office to complete more paperwork," Levi informs the man before bringing the cup to his lips again.

"I am well aware of that."

Silence gradually enters the space once more.

Darius taps his stiff fingers against the table while he stares at his present companion with dull eyes.

Levi crosses his one leg over the other as a sea of vulgar curses drowns his mind at the fact that Erwin had left him with this old, unclean man who will most likely try to extract all the knowledge that he has of his daughter.

"So you work closely with Renata..." Darius murmurs with a curiosity which he attempts to conceal while he calmly pours himself another glass of water. "I would expect her to work with someone more..."

Levi dully looks at the man. However, this bland look of his is perceived as a menacing glare.

"...someone more closer to her rank," Darius smoothly finishes, as if there was no problem to begin with. "Though," he adds, "I assume that with her composure, she can easily put up with your impatience."

It seems that everyone is finding enjoyment in pointing out his lack of patience today.

"I thought you wanted to talk about Renata."

"But we are."

Levi now shoots him with a genuine glare. He repositions his elbow on the back of his chair and begins inspecting the man.

What part of this annoying man could she have possibly inherited?

She obviously did not acquire his rigidity.

Appearance wise, the coarse, voluminous hair is the most apparent characteristic. The curling of their short eyelashes and the broadness of their shoulders are also identical.

However, his eyes are more drooped. Hers are almond-shaped. His irises are a light shade of grey. Hers are a light shade of brown. His wrinkled lips are thinner.

Hers are fuller.

Levi immediately takes a sip from his tea.

He then asks, "What happened with Erwin's education program?"

"They are still discussing whether to enact the proposal or not."

Darius rests both hands on his round stomach and looks forward to the front door. He has observed Levi's expression enough to conclude that the man does not wish to remain in this room for a second longer. Therefore, he declares, "You may leave if you have nothing else to say."

This serves as the perfect cue for Levi to rise from his chair and start for the other side of the mess hall.

"However," Darius stops him.

Levi reluctantly halts.

"I ask that you answer this one question for me before you leave."

He waits in front of the large doors. Patiently.

"How has she managed to stay in the Survey Corps for this long?"

A brief minute of blank silence follows.

Levi sighs, steps back, and turns to face the man with his arms comfortably folded. "Are you asking for a real reason?" He questions, "Or are you perhaps implying that you're doubting her ability to endure all the shit we go through?"

Darius looks up from the glare of his glasses and replies, "Both."

Levi stares coldly at him. "She must have mentioned something about that in one of her shit ton letters that she's sent you."

"I've read nothing of the sort."

At this remark, their eyes gradually follow a concurrent line in which their stares meet intensely within the wide space of the room.

It is apparent that what these two men both commonly know is that her timidity and sensitivity would have never allowed her to hold her current position.

While the father has only been exposed to this side of his daughter which he has relished and admired it to its very core, the other is fully aware of the fact that there exists another part to her which makes her fit to keep her place in the army. A characteristic which she has hidden from Darius. A quality which few people are able to detect from just a few encounters with her.

Resilience.

"She has her ways," Levi explains, "If something presses her against a wall, she'll endure the pressure until she's at the brink of being crushed to death."

He turns to face the door. "But give her a little push and she'll muster enough strength to push back."

Darius murmurs with a dull resonance in his tone, "Is that so..."

Levi brings his chin to his shoulder in a small attempt to look at the man behind him. "You're her father," he remarks, "You should be the one telling me all this."

"Unfortunately, I do not know much about her," Darius responds, "I am Commander-in-Chief first." He continuously curls and stretches the weary joints of his fingers. "My role as a father comes second."

As was the case for all the caged world's eminent military leaders who have left family behind them.

This time, Levi almost makes it out of the room successfully when the commander calls to him once more, "I should also thank you for the guidance you were able to provide her." After observing his fingers, he balls one of his hands into a tight fist and nonchalantly cracks his knuckles with the other out of habit. "I've read much about that hell of a training program you gave her."

Levi smirks.

Were these letters her way of venting all the complaints which she has chosen to keep from him at the time?

"You could say that I have a way of following through with whatever I set my mind on," Levi replies before he finally makes his leave.

"I'll keep that in mind for the future."

------------------------------------------------
Omg, Levi has spoken to ze father-in-law.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Sorry, that was a teeny tiny chapter.
Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed it! (Most likely not)

Thank you once again for all your love and support!

-Kamisama961

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 5.6K 90
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
Fake Love By :)

Fanfiction

136K 3.1K 46
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
509K 18.3K 94
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
932K 42.7K 62
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...