Tough

By Bluebloods82

A Blue Bloods Fanfic - After ten years of marriage Jamie and Eddie are still partners in every way, can they... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty - One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Three

556 7 0
By Bluebloods82

Chapter Twenty-Three

"Hold on to me," Jamie instructed as Eddie climbed into the seat of a New York City carriage for a midday ride around Central Park. It was the last day of their vacation, and they wanted to make one more romantic memory together. Eddie had her chemo that coming Monday, and it would be another nine days of pain, vomiting, and exhaustion.

"I'm okay, Jamie," Eddie assured him. "You're going to worry yourself into a heart attack one of these days. Erin was right; you did have worry lines as an infant. I should give you one of those face creams I use to get rid of my laugh lines and crow's feet."

"You don't need any of that stuff, you're as beautiful as the day I met you, maybe more," Jamie placed his forehead against hers and used the blanket he brought with them to wrap Eddie and tuck her to his side. The carriage started to move, the day was beautiful, and the foliage made everything look new. Spring was just beginning to dawn, with all the hope of life it always brought.

They watched couples, families, and tourist going by as Eddie laid her head on Jamie's shoulder. "My dad is going to come to Joey's communion," she told him as they rode. "Can you please have a talk with yours about being civil? I know they don't along well, but I don't want anything to ruin Joey's big day."

"Or yours?" Jamie asked. "You've been preparing for this day almost as long as Joey has. Erin offered to take you shopping for a dress that will help to hide some of the changes in your body if you don't want all the questions."

Eddie thought a minute, "You know what, if I do that it's going to be for me, not for anyone else. If I get the reconstruction, it will be for me or for us, not because someone says I should."

Jamie looked down at his wife, beaming with pride. "That's my girl, I'm so glad to see you back. I know you have six rounds to go, but since the radiation stopped you are more and more like the Eddie I remember."

"It was just so hard, Jamie. My body felt like lead most of the time. I felt terrible for neglecting you and the kids and our marriage." She entwined her fingers with his.

"Well, we kept things together. We worked as a team, we asked for help when we needed it, and I think this weekend took great care of the marriage. I have no fear that our marriage is as solid as it ever was so wherever your crazy head is off to bring it back right now."

When their ride was over, Jamie tipped the driver and handed Eddie down from the seat. They walked a short way and picked up some pretzels and pizza from a sidewalk vendor. They had reservations that night, but it was pretty clear that Eddie was tired. "You want to lie down and take a nap?"

Eddie nodded, "Wake me so I can get ready for dinner. I just need a few minutes..." He voice faded and she shut her eyes asleep before she completely finished her sentence.

Jamie read some magazines and watched the TV with the volume on low. An hour before dinner, Jamie nudged Eddie slightly, she was so tired she only rolled over and fell back to sleep. Jamie knew her heart would be broken if she felt like she ruined their last romantic night, but he also knew she was too tired to handle a night out.

Jamie stepped outside and made a phone call. He carefully explained that his wife was sick with cancer, they had planned a night out, but her treatments were such that she was too tired to attend. The manager agreed to help him and he delivered a romantic dinner for two complete with candles, a waiter, and a bottle of sparkling cider. Jamie knew he'd pay through the nose, but it would be worth it.

It was the aroma of a freshly prepared steak and shrimp that finally woke Eddie. She looked at the clock, seven fifteen. They had a seven pm reservation. "Jamie, why didn't you wake...?" She began then saw the beautiful spread Jamie had arranged. The table had a white linen tablecloth, two candles were lit in silver candlesticks, and two plates were filled with a fine cut filet and lobster awaited them. "Oh Jamie..."

Jamie went behind Eddie and slid his arms around her back, "I tried to wake you up but you must have need the sleep baby. I didn't want you to miss dinner but I know you well enough now to know when you can and when you can't."

"This is probably the sweetest thing you have ever done, and I am starving," Eddie declared. "Let me clean up..."

"You look beautiful, have a seat my love," Jamie pulled out the chair and let Eddie sit. He took his place across from her and the waiter filled their flutes. Jamie raised his glass, "To my beautiful wife, to nearly eleven years of marriage as happy as we were on day one."

The clinked their glasses and sipped the cider as the waiter stepped back. There was a tableside Cherries' Jubilee; Jamie had requested it be made when their meal was finished. The rest of the evening he focused on Eddie and making their last night special. After their dessert, they enjoyed a soak in the Jacuzzi tub before falling asleep in each other's arms.

"Mommy! Mommy! Daddy!" was the chorus that greeted the Jamie and Eddie when they arrived home the next morning. "Hello babies," Eddie exclaimed smiling and hugging both children close before they ran to Jamie.

"We missed you," Joey told them as Jamie gave him a big bear hug.

"They were very well-behaved," Frank declared answering his son's question. They children were busy showing Eddie the toys Frank bought them. "You two look very happy."

"It was exactly what we needed," Jamie replied. "Everything really clicked very well. She had a good time; her energy was good for the most part. I really think we are turning the corner. Oh, I asked off for her chemo this week so you are off the hook."

"Thanks Jamie," Frank replied. "After that last time I have no idea what is going to happen now. I'll have your back you know that."

"I do know that, and if this experience taught us nothing else it's that our marriage can survive anything and that our family is there no matter what. Thanks for that Dad." Jamie patted Frank on the arm.

Jamie and Eddie relished in bedtime that night. They played dolls with Lila during her bath, and Navy with Joey during his. They held each child and read to them in the big bed before falling asleep as a family. Eddie got up and did the school preparations that morning. It would be at least two weeks before she had the ability to do that again.

"Mommy, when we get home later are you going to be crying?" Joey asked. He had her chemo timed in his little head.

"I hope not, sweetie," Eddie replied. "But I do get my medicine today so maybe. Daddy is going to be here though, so you don't have to be scared. Daddy will take care of Mommy like he always does."

Joey nodded, "Can I take care of you too? I can hold your hand and kiss the boo boo."

"Yes you can, baby boy, but..."

Joey slammed his hand on the table. "I am not a baby boy, I am a big boy!"

Eddie looked at him sharply, "Temper..." She knelt down by him. "You will be my baby boy when you are old like grandpa," she informed him. "Can't help it, par for the course. Finish eating or you will miss the bus."

Eddie saw both kids onto their bus, and then got into her jeans and sweatshirt for her chemo. She packed movies, a book, and a tee shirt for when she began to burn up from the medication. It had been several cycles since Jamie attended, and she knew the pain during would be something that would set him off.

The nurse eased the cannula into Eddie's vein; Jamie sat beside her as the liquid began to burn her skin. She winced and took a long deep breath to control that part of the pain. "Do you need a nurse?" Jamie asked.

"No, but I will later so just relax with me for now, all right? It won't get bad for an hour or so..." Eddie shut her eyes. "Read to me from the book we brought."

Jamie started to read to her until about 45 minutes later when he felt Eddie start to shift. "Jamie." Her voice was a mere whisper. It was hitting sooner and harder. "I need..."

Before she finished her sentence she threw up down her shirt and onto his lap. It didn't' phase him, he wiped his pants and called for the nurse. The pain was setting in fast along with the vomiting.

"Can you give her something?" he asked as she wiped her face with a soft cloth. "She's suffering."

"We gave her all we can for now, it isn't from the cancer, it's from the chemo. We can't give her anything more powerful without the doctor's consent."

"Then call the doctor," Jamie snapped as returned his focus to his wife.

Dr. Macdonald was on call that day, he had seen Eddie twice before while she was hospitalized with the flu. When he arrived, Eddie was curled up as much as possible with the cannula in, crying into Jamie's lap. He had tried in vain to soothe her agony. "Give her something, she's never been this bad."

"I can't give her a little morphine for the edge, but if I do that she'll need to stay in the hospital and make sure that when it wears off there are no adverse effects." He looked at the poor woman. "No, my babies need me. I can take it," she said.

"Eddie, the kids will be okay. If you go home like this and they see you suffering so it will do them more harm than good," Jamie urged her to allow the doctor to administer he medication. "Please, sweetheart."

Finally she nodded her throbbing head once and the doctor pushed the narcotic into her IV line. Jamie continued to hold her until the medication took effect.

When she was asleep and in a room, Jamie called his Dad to break the news. "Joey is going to really flip his little lid. I'm sorry I can't be there but if she needs me. She can't advocate for herself."

"I remember this part, Jamie; I know it's difficult. I will handle it. Give her my love," Frank sighed. She had five more rounds, how much worse could it get for her?

"Mommy?" Joey called out to silence when he got home. Usually on medicine day, Mommy was coughing or crying or making some kind of noise.

"Mommy isn't here, buddy," Frank replied. "Come here you two, let's talk a minute."

Both kids sat on the sofa as Frank began to speak, "Mommy had to stay in the hospital for her medication this time. She got sick and she has to be where the doctors can make her better."

Joey did explode, but not in the way that Frank expected. He shoved Lila off the couch, "This is your fault that Mommy is sick!"

Lila began to cry and ran to Frank. "Joey, no it's not buddy, this is from Mommy's medication now you say you are sorry right now!" Frank rarely lost his temper with his grandchildren, but Joey was out of line.

Both children were now in tears as Frank held them on his lap. "She'll be home tomorrow, okay...I promise..." He rocked them as they cried themselves to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 88 24
Steddie fic where Steve and Eddie are in their mid 30's, everyone has sort of drifted apart. They meet up again by chance 15 years later. This story...
12.6K 249 22
*Completed* Set during S3E11. After Jamie shot that man he was sent back to the academy for a few months to help with training the trainees. There he...
16.2K 285 12
Jamie Reagan and Grace De Marco meet at a wedding and have an instant connection. She comes from a family of firefighters and he is son of the PC. As...
12.5K 251 44
In this sequel to Tough, Jamie and Eddie face a major budget crisis, a family feud, their daughter's wedding, and another major health crisis. Can th...