Without Him

By RMA5142

(EXTREMELY AMATEUR) Ella Daniels gave her heart away to Max Wilde, only to get it all crumbled up by him tha... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31: Part 1
Chapter 31: Part 2
Epilogue
Acknowledgements & FAQ

Chapter 7

270K 4.4K 212
By RMA5142

CHAPTER SEVEN

Tonight was Braden's family friend dinner. Before I left work, Mr. Kerrington made sure to share with me how much he, his son Braden, his daughter Caroline and his wife were anticipating my attendance. It made me feel somehow special and nervous at the same time, making me over-think my decisions. I didn't want to arrive too late or too early. Making me think if my dress was too formal or too casual for the occasion.

"Ella!" I heard Mr. Kerrington call as I locked my office before leaving. Most of the employees had been dismissed earlier than normal due to Mr. Kerrington's dinner.

"Yes?" I replied, turning around to face him. Mr. Kerrington was wearing a grey suit with a white shirt and a grey tie. His salt-and-pepper-looking hair was combed back, like he usually had it. His sort of wrinkled face was expressing a smile.

"I just wanted to tell you Braden, Caroline, my wife and I are very happy to have you with us tonight. You know we treat you as part of the family"

His words had surprised me. I didn't know they were so keen to have me attend, I mean I'm sure people with more importance were going to the dinner tonight. "Oh, well thank you for inviting me."

"Nonsense, thank you for agreeing to go." So modest "By the way, I told Braden to pick you up, if it's okay with you of course." He quickly added

"Sure," I agreed.

"Since dinner starts at 7:00pm, can I have him pick you at about 6:30pm?"

"Of course, fine with me"

"Excellent. I'll see you later tonight then."

"Absolutely, goodnight, Mr. Kerrington" I walked through the corridor full of offices until I reached the elevator, taking myself to the lobby and exiting the building. My car was parked across the street, I approached it, unlocking the doors and starting the engine, heading home to start getting ready for tonight's dinner.

Thankfully, Mum was still going to be at my apartment until I got ready and Bliss arrived. Which gave me the chance to take shower, get dressed and do my make-up and hair peacefully, without having to keep an eye on Mia. I got home at about 5:29pm, which meant I only had exactly one hour to get ready before Braden came to pick me up. When I arrived home, I didn't have the chance to have my daily after-work talk with Mum since I was running out of time. As soon as I got to my bedroom, I quickly discarded my clothes and shoes and went to the shower.

After 45 minutes of hard and fast work, I managed to get ready on time. I had a red dress with Louboutin heels. The dress was a bit tight at the top but had a flowy skirt that was mid-thigh length. The heels were black with gold patterns. I decided to pair the outfit with a gold necklace and a nude clutch. For my makeup, I did smokey eyes with natural and neutral colors that matched my outfit and made my hazel-dark green eyes stood out, my cheeks were slightly pink from the blush I had applied and my lips had red lipstick. My hair was loose with natural curls, I had managed to do with my curling wand.

"You look absolutely stunning, Ella" Bliss had arrived while I was getting ready. I had said my goodbyes to Mum pretty quickly since I wanted to get ready before Braden arrived.

"Thank you. For your complement and for babysitting Mia tonight. I promise I'll be home early"

"Don't worry about it, relax and have fun." She smiled at me, while having sleepy Mia on her arms.

"Thank you, again. Bye pumpkin" I kissed Mia on the cheek, leaving her on a hazy state on Bliss's arms as I headed to entrance of the building were Braden was waiting for me.

As I got out of the elevator and exited the building, I instantly spotted Braden leaning against his car. He was wearing a light blue shirt and black dress pants, his hair was elegantly combed. When he spotted he stood up straight and eyed me from head to toe.

"Ella. You look beautiful" He complemented, walking me to the passenger door and opening it for me

"Thank you" I spoke as I got inside.

The drive to his house was a bit long since I lived near city and his house was in the suburbs. After a nearly 30 minute drive, we arrived to the big white, Italian style mansion. Braden parked his car on the driveway, killing the engine. He got out and opened the door for me, offering his hand for me. I accepted his gentlemanly action and got out of his car. I felt Braden placed his hand in my back as we walked to the entrance of the house. I didn't call him out on it since his hand wasn't low enough to make me feel invaded or uncomfortable.

"The dinner is in the backyard," Braden informed me as me walked across the foyer into the back door, entering the beautiful lighten patio.

Mrs. Kerrington immediately spotted me and her son as we went down the small stairs into the backyard.

"Ella, darling thank you for coming" She greeted, kissing my cheek

"Thank you for the invitation, Mrs. Kerrington"

Braden's hand was still in my back as he embraced his mother, father and sister Caroline, who later approached us. Caroline and I weren't very close since we had only spoken a few times. She didn't visit the offices of Kerrington Enterprises as much as Braden.

"Make yourself at home, Ella. Like I said earlier at the office, we treat you like family" Mr. Kerrington reminded

The night had been incredibly great so far. The Kerrington family, all the other 15 guests and I had just sat in a big table and had dinner. The variety and the taste of the foods were splendid. Braden had been a complete gentleman the whole time, making sure I felt comfortable.

"Do you want anything to drink?" We were chatting, when I noticed Max enter the Kerringtons' backyard. What was he doing here? I mean, I knew Mr. Kerrington and his father had worked together a couple of years ago but I didn't know Max was friends with Braden or had a close relationship with his family. "Ella?" Braden asked, getting my attention back.

"I'm fine, thanks" I answered, completely ignoring Max's appearance. We weren't in great terms and this was not the place for us to talk.

I had managed to avoid Max for about 20 minutes, I was glad I had been able to avoid him. It was 9:25pm and I was ready to tell Braden to take me home. I had promised Bliss I wouldn't arrive late plus I was tired and just wanted my bed.

"Excuse me, sorry to interrupt. Braden, can I talk to you really quick?" I asked, causing Braden to excused himself from the conversation

"Sure, what's wrong?" He spoke, placing his hand on my shoulder

"Can you take me home? I know it's kind of early but Mia is waiting for me and I'm tired"

"I'll take her," Max quickly intervened before Braden had the chance to speak. I felt his fingers hug my waist as he placed himself next to me.

"That's not necessary," I glared, leaving his side

"I'll take Ella home, Braden. You don't have to worry about it" Max spoke to Braden, ignoring me and what I had just said

"It's no bother for me to take her, Max"

"I said I'll drive her home," Max snarled

There was no use on fighting him and I was extremely tired to keep fighting back. He wouldn't change his mind no matter what and I defying him would only cause us to get the attention of other guests nearby, which I wasn't in the mood for.

"It's okay, Braden. Tell your parents I said thank you for everything." I hugged him and kissed his cheek before pulling back. "And thank you for tonight, I appreciated the company" I wanted to let him know that his gentlemanly actions tonight hadn't gone unnoticed. He had been extremely sweet to me.

"No problem. Goodnight" He smiled as Max places his hand in my lower back and guided me out of the house.

We didn't speak a word to each other on the way back to my apartment. The 30 minute ride had been completely silent, the only thing present was the anger and annoyance vibrating from one another.

When we arrived to my apartment, I didn't even bother to say goodnight or thank you. What he had done was completely rude and uncalled for. I was still so mad at him that I didn't notice when he cut the engine of his car and got out until he said, "We need to talk." I didn't bother acknowledging him because I knew that no matter what I said he would still follow me upstairs. The ride on the elevator had been just like our ride back here.

When I opened the door to my apartment, Bliss was on the living room couch watching TV. Her face was in awe as she saw Max enter behind me. I tossed my keys on the counter and headed to my room when I heard Max speak to Bliss.

"Will you give us a minute?" He asked as he followed me down the hall

"Sure," Bliss reluctantly replied since she was completely oblivious and confused as to what had happened.

I was removing my heels, when Max entered my room and closed the door.

"Why was he driving you home?" He asked, anger evident in his voice.

"That's none of your business"

"The hell it is, Ella!" He said, raising his voice.

"Whatever I do and whoever drives me home is none of your concern, Max." This fight was the one I was dreading at dinner.

"Why was he touching you?" Oh. So all of this anger was due to jealousy. Unbelievable.

I stood up from my bed and walked towards him, until we were face to face. "Why do you care who touches me? I'm not yours. Not anymore." I angrily sighed, all the anger and hurt I've been bottling up for this past year was coming to the surface and I wasn't holding it back again. "All of the sudden you care about who touches me and who is driving me home and all of this is because you're afraid that someone might finally be taking your place. Sooner or later, it would have happened, Max, and you preventing him from bringing me home won't change anything" I wouldn't let him know that Braden was only a friend to me for now. Although, I might give him a chance if he goes for it. The only thing that mattered at the moment was me letting everything out. "You're afraid someone might take the place you so willingly screwed up a year ago" I knew my last sentence had pushed a button when Max's vein became prominent in his neck.

"I won't deny that I did fuck up, Ella. But I'm trying to make things work again."

"Do you think that trying to make things work again will change all the hurt you made me go through?! Do you even know how many nights I spent crying myself to sleep wondering what I could have done wrong that made you react that way?! Wondering why I was no longer waking up next to you every damn morning?! Do you even know how awful I felt every damn fucking time I went to a doctor's appointment and I saw other women with their partner by their side while I was just there sitting alone in the waiting room. How heartbroken I felt when the nurse asked me if the dad would come with me to the next visit. How hurt I felt when Mia was born and you weren't there. How many looks of pity I received because you weren't there. Do you, Max?! I felt like shit for a year and all because of you!"

"I fucked up royally and I regret it, Ella! That's no secret. But you going out with other men won't let you see how much I've change since that night. I regret letting you go, dammit it!" He yelled

"Then why didn't you stop me?! You knew we could have worked things out yet you decided to let me go over God knows what!" Right now, we had reached the point where we were just yelling at each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Mia had woken up.

"I didn't stop you because I was stupid and now I want you back!"

"Well you're one year late, Max." My vision began to blur with the tears that threatened to fall. I looked down and shook my head, before saying "You should leave" later bringing my face up to see him. His face was as pained as mine but this was what I wanted, wasn't? Him to be as hurt as I had been.

Max loudly slammed the door of my bedroom without saying nothing else. At that point, I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I sat on the floor and leaned against my bed as I sobbed from anger, frustration, resentment and hurt.

Bliss opened the door quickly as she said, "Are you okay?" and walked to my side "Yes, I'm fine. It's nothing". I wiped the tears that were falling down my cheeks with the back of my hand and stood up from the floor. "You can go, now. Thanks for staying with Mia, again."

"Ella if you want me to stay for a while longer I can. I'm here for you"

"Bliss, I said you can leave. I'm fine" I didn't mean to snap at her but right now I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I would make sure to apologize tomorrow.

"Mia is still asleep. Call me if you need anything. Goodnight" She spoke, before leaving my room.

I was relieved she wasn't mad or offended I didn't mean to talk to her that way but I needed time alone to think. Otherwise, I was pretty sure I would end up with an emotional breakdown. I told Bliss I was fine but the truth is I'm far from fine and I don't know if I'll ever be completely fine again. I spent the night trying to gather my thoughts as new tears fell with every one of those memories that flooded my mind. The fight I had with Max had helped me voice all my emotions but it had also ignited some I already had put to rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 436 31
Jackson is boy who on his last year of high school, his parents made him go to camp. His family weren't really a rich type of family but he was popul...
3.2K 35 5
Mia Yim has been seriously different since her return to WWE. Once the life of the party, and now a despondent, almost depressed shell of what she on...
Estella By AVI

General Fiction

62K 1.5K 30
15 year old Estella never expected her to flip upside down in a span of few weeks . The unexpected death of her foster parents Getting a positive p...
100K 4.5K 21
Ruby needed time to get over the issues caused by the Valentine family. Taking up her mother's offer to stay at a friend's villa in France she never...