Daring Dixon (A Daryl Dixon f...

By RosalineDixon98

Rosaline is a nomad, living in the abandoned buildings of Atlanta during the walker epidemic. When she meets... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
A Sneak Peak at the Sequel!

Chapter 15

28.2K 720 150
By RosalineDixon98

My heart literally stopped. It was only after they started to run down my chest that I realized I was crying. I launched myself at him, squeezing him tight and almost knocking him over. "What's going on out here?" asked another very familiar voice, and my mother came into view around the car. I launched myself at her, and she fell back against the hood of the car.

"Rosaline?" she croaked, barely able to speak. Tears streamed down both of our faces, and then my dad came and hugged us both. We probably would've stayed like that if a deep voice hadn't cleared it's throat behind us.

We broke apart and I started wiping my eyes. "Mom, Dad, this is my, erm, friend, Daryl," I said, gesturing to him. He nodded to them.

My dad stepped forward. He extended his hand. "I'm sure you've been helping keep my little girl safe. I thank you for that," he said, shaking Daryl's hand.

"I, um, thanks," he said awkwardly.

"I- I- I thought you were..." I trailed off.

"And we you," said my mom.

"And Bianca?" I prompted. Her face fell.

"She was bit by those- those- those things. We drove down to Louisiana but by the time we got down there, she had already passed. The hospital she was at was overrun and we barely escaped. Connor-"

"Who's Connor? I asked, my eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"He was one of your father's students. He came along with us to Louisiana, to visit his family there, but when we found out it was overrun, we insisted he come on the rest of the journey with us. He's asleep in the back seat," Mom explained.

"Oh," I said.

"Now, I want to hear all about what's been going on with you," she insisted.

I looked at Daryl. "Would you mind terribly if Glenn or Shane took over for me? I'd really like to spend some time with my parents," I said.

He nodded. "I'll find someone," he said.

"Thank you," Dad said. Daryl gave him a nod and went back to the RV.

Mom opened the back door of the car and found that Connor was up. I slid into the seat and shut the door. Mom and Dad got into the front seats and turned around to face us.

"Connor, this is my daughter, Rosaline," Dad introduced me to Riley.

"Hello," I said, extending my hand. He shook it, giving me a nod.

"So, how's that very sweet and cute boy of yours Riley?" Mom asked, her face bright. I sighed, and tried to hold back the tears brimming in my eyes.

"He's... gone," I finally managed.

Her smile dropped. "Oh baby, what happened?" she asked sympathetically.

"We were heading out of Atlanta. We wanted to go to the countryside. We figured there would be less people there which would mean less walkers," I explained. The first tear fell. "Riley got out of the car to see how much farther the traffic jam spanned ahead of us, when three walkers came out of nowhere and attacked him. They just devoured him right before my eyes." I swallowed. The tears came heavier now. "I barely made it our of there. I found a dead police officer, and stole his gun. I don't know why, but I decided to go back. He- I-"

"Shh," Mom comforted me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

But I shook my head, going to continue. I had never told anyone what I had done next. Nobody knew I went back for him. But I had to tell someone. "When I found him, he was seconds from death. He saw the gun and his face pleaded for me to do it. He heaved his last breath and I- I- I- I shot him, right through his head," I managed out through my streaming tears. The look on both my parents faces was shocked. They didn't know what to say.

"I'm so sorry, dear," my mom said finally.

I wiped my tear and sniffled. God I missed Riley. "It's alright," I assured.

"Well that Daryl sure does look at you... differently," Mom summarized. I couldn't help myself. I started to laugh hysterically.

"What?" asked my dad.

"He's just a friend," I managed. I couldn't explain why I thought that was so funny.

"Well I think there's something going on between the two of you," Dad said.

"Tell us about him," Mom insisted.

I sighed, controlling my laughter. "He is a very good hunter with his crossbow. He has one sibling named Merle who may or may not be alive, and both of his parents are presumably dead," I said. "He hated my guts when we first met, but since then he's mellowed some."

"That's it?" Mom demanded. "There must be more!"

"Not really, Mom. Daryl isn't too complex. The only thing you have to worry about with him is his crazy moods where he swears and screams and, well, acts like Daryl. He hasn't had one of those in a while though," I lied, since he had one of those this morning.

"He sounds like he has a bit of a temper," Mom said. I nodded my head in assent.

"Speaking of Daryl, I better make sure everything is going fine. You guys get some rest and I will talk to you in the morning, okay?" I asked.

"Of course," said Mom.

"I love you,"  I said, giving them both a big hug and then walking back to the RV and climbing up the ladder. Rick and Daryl stood atop the RV, pacing, trying to see if there were any signs of walkers anywhere near us. There weren't.

"I'll finish my watch," I said, startling Rick. He recovered himself and then nodded, heading back down the ladder.

"My mother is suspicious of you," I said when I was sure that Rick was long gone.

He raised his eyebrow. "What do you mean?" he asked quietly.

"She thinks you have a thing for me," I said. He smirked.

"She is a very intuitive woman, isn't she?" he asked rhetorically.

"But I thought there was nothing more than friendship between us now. I thought that's what we agreed on," I said. His face fell.

"Whatever you want, sweetheart," he said sarcastically.

"You can't just expect us to have a relationship, can you?" I demanded. He just shook his head, a scowl taking over his face. I sighed. I was so damn tired of this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 575 17
Semi-mature. Book Three picks up fourteen months after the last chapter of Home Is Your Heartbeat. Nate is an Aussie girl who was stranded in Georgia...
456K 11.7K 41
Madeline or Maddie Davidson has an okay life. Being 22 and living at home is never easy. Her mother is a drunken druggie and her father is a drunken...
150K 6.5K 104
Semi-mature. Completed. Book Two picks up immediately from the last chapter of Home is You. Nate is an Aussie girl who was stranded in Georgia during...
238K 7.3K 52
Keri is on her own, for the second time since the beginning of the end. She's finally starting to learn that you have to be hard to survive in a wor...