star crossed lovers โžธ cato ha...

By cursedmalfoy

"These violent delights have violent ends And in their triump die, like fire and powder Which... More

PART ONE
o. prologue
i. reaping
ii. the captiol
iii. tribute parade
iv. training
v. early training
vi. trouble in paradise
vii. unexpected visit
viii. tribute dinner
ix. individual training
x. interviews
xi. midnight talks
xiii. bloodbath
xiv. the day after
xv. kill or be killed
xvi. monster
xvii. guilty thoughts
xviii. the darkness
xix. madness
xx. the finale
PART TWO
i. the birthday surprise
ii. his visit
iii. the victory tour
iv. parties in high places
v. the accouncement
vi. the reaping
vii. strangers delight
viii. baby blues
ix. round two
x. life or death
xi. violent islands
xii. dangerous illusions
xiii. tick tock plans
xiv. these violent delights...
xv. ...have violent ends
update-ish
PART THREE
i. the capitol
ii. district thirteen

xii. let the games begin

2.5K 62 7
By cursedmalfoy

     "ARE YOU READY?"

Natalie looked completely shattered. Her skin had hardly any color to it apart from the dark circles underneath her eyes. The bottom of her hair was thick with split ends, her roots turning grey with stress.

"Yes" The tribute lied easily through her teeth. Of course, either of them brought it. Nobody was ever ready for the games, apart from the narcissistic assholes.

     That was the end of the conversation, or at least it seemed.

     "Do not enter the cornucopia at any cost" Both heads whipped around to the mentor, the first words he had spoken since he entered the room with Natalie and Cinna.

     "Why the bloody hell not?" Natalie questioned with an arched eyebrow.

"Do you want to die?" Haymitch answered back, mimicking her actions.

The two stared at each other for a moment, a silent conversation playing in their heads. Natalie was about ready to tear her hair out and scream into a pillow. Haymitch was about ready to lock her in a room and not let her out until the games were finished.

In the short amount of time, Haymitch admired the young female. She was the first tribute who he properly cared about. Natalie wasn't afraid of putting herself in danger, she proved that much during their talk. She was willing to do anything for her family, even if it meant not surviving in the end.

     "Is this one of those moments where we hug and sulk until we're forced apart because that is just pathetic." Natalie spoke, ruining the mood.

"No I just wanted to say good luck." Haymitch corrected, not telling her the real reason on what he entered the room. Instead, he wrote it all in a letter hours later.

•••

     The Games were about to begin, she could feel it in her bones. Every tremor running through her body, every lick of sweat dripping from her palms. Natalie had no idea what the Arena would be like. There was no way to predict what it would be. For once, she was prepared for anything, expect this. There was no preparation for what she would encounter in the Arena. What terrifying mutations would she be forced to deal with? What horrors could possibly end her life?

Natalie could barely focus as she walked to the elevator, Haymitch by her side. It wasn't until she heard the familiar loud and sharp noise that she was brought back to reality. "Please don't go the cornucopia." The father figure pleaded, turning his attention to the tribute. "No matter how much they try to tempt you."

"Remember what we spoke about." Natalie looked up at Haymitch's cool blue eyes. "You turn, run, find ground, look for water. Water is your new best friend. Oh, and don't step off that pedestal early, they'll blow you sky high."

Natalie was about to answer back, until she felt Haymitch wrap his arms around her small figure. "You better not die, kid."

The female wanted to promise him but she couldn't find the words. She had told Haymitch that she was going to die, but it scared her. She didn't want to die at such a young age but it was worth it, if it meant protecting Peeta.

The elevator doors opened, immediately blinding the pair. Once Natalie regained her eyesight, she took in the massive pad, the giant hovercraft resting in the middle.

She took one last glance at her mentor before waling to her the ship, towards her death.

•••

"Give me your arm."

Snapping out of her daydream, she looked up at the woman who had her dark brown hair died back as far as it could go. The bottom half of her face was covered with a mask that was the same color as her uniform. In her hand was a large needle that was about to pierce her arm.

Rolling her eyes, she stuck out her arm for the woman to take. She grasped her arm tighter than she needed to and stuck the needle in her forearm. She pressed down the syringe, revealing a bright glow in her arm.

As soon as the woman left, her eyes landed on Cato, the person who she was unfortunately forced to sit next to. His eyes was scanning he hovercraft as if he searching for someone. However, once their eyes met, she saw his tense muscles finally relax. He didn't dare offer Natalie a smile, not whilst the other three careers sat opposite them.

Despite everything, Natalie felt somewhat relaxed after seeing a familiar face as Peeta or Rue was on a different hovercraft to her. She sworn she could see the corners of Cato's mouth turn upwards a little but as usual, she ignored him.

The hovercraft jolted and lifted into the air, creaking with every movement. Natalie grasped the armrests, her knuckles turning white as she tried to ignore the weightless feeling in her chest. Cato saw the anxious teen beside him and gently took her hand in his, squeezing it as softly as he could.

Cato didn't care that he was supposed to be the bloodthirsty career, he was developing true feelings for Natalie, regardless of the rivalry between the two.

•••

The peacekeepers opened the door, forcing Natalie into a room that was covered in metal walls and a giant tube in the middle. As the door closed, Natalie was immediately enveloped in a hug by the none other, Cinna.

Whilst the hug was comfortable, it wasn't doing anything to calm the female's nerves. She was still as anxious as anything, especially after the stunt that Cato had done previously.

Cinna pulled away a moment later, turning around and grabbed a thick rain jacket before offering it to the tribute. Natalie quickly put the piece of clothing on, feeling cold with no extra layers on. Cinna grabbed the labels of the jacket and straightened it before undoing a button, revealing a pocket with the necklace she always kept with her.

A tear slid down her face; a piece of home always with her. "Thank you," She whispered, looking up at Cinna.

"Thirty seconds," a robotic voice filling the chamber, causing Natalie to glance at the tube. She sighed and grasped Cinna's in hers. "Tell Haymitch that he was the best father I could ask for, and to look after Peeta for me." She begged, wanting Haymitch to know how much their friendship affected her in the short space of time. "And thank you Cinna for being my best friend."

Niether Cinna or Natalie had anymore time to say anything as Natalie was forced to step into the tube. She placed her hand on the glass and watched as Cinna did the same. "I'll miss you." She mouthed.

The tube lifted her up until she could no longer see the launch room and was surrounded by cement walls instead. Within a moment, those walls had changed into a bright light, blinding the female.

It took a moment for Natalie to readjust her eyes. When she finally did, her gaze wandered around, instantly recognizing what felt like home; a forest.

Each tribute was on their own pedestals, all forming a circle around a large figure that was bound to be the Cornucopia. Weapons laid in the hollowed out structure, piles of backpacks spread out across the field. Everything that Natalie needed to survive was all there, but she could still hear Haymitch's threat in the back of her head.

"I will personally kill you if you go." At first, Natalie thought he was joking...now she wasn't so sure.

Natalie looked around frantically, trying to find her brother's brown eyes, anything to ease her mind only a fraction. She let out at a sigh of relief as their eyes connected. However, he shook his head like he knew what she was thinking. She frowned back at him and stuck her tongue out at him, hoping to relief the tension they were both feeling.

But then her eyes passed Peeta to Cato who was already looking at her. She was about to look away until she saw the same action; him shaking his head. Natalie needed a backpack, a weapon if she was able to grab one.

Ten seconds.

The female could feel her heart racing in her chest but she focused her attention on the glistening knives right by the backpack in the middle. If she ran quick enough, she would be in and out before most of the tributes arrived.

"I'm sorry, Haymitch." She whispered as the clocked boomed and she ran straight towards the Cornucopia.

XXX

Sorry for the huge delay, I plan to start editing the story once I have finished the second book

Tell me your thoughts on this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 2.3K 49
"I should be heading to bed," Cato said as he gets up from his spot before turning back once more. "Thank you." He added before walking out of sight...
366K 7.2K 66
"Isn't it lovely. All alone. Heart made of glass. My mind of stone. Tear me to pieces. Skin to bone." โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” โ‹†โ‹… โžน โ‹…โ‹† โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” BOOK 1 - Indiana Summe...
1.6M 46.8K 117
โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his head. โThey'd both kill and die for eac...
124K 4.6K 37
โ it is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane โž โ”€โ”€โญ’โ”€โญ‘โ”€โญ’โ”€โ”€ In which an innocent girl finds herself ...