The RunAway Model

By greenwriter

[A 2016 Wattpad Featured Story; A @Fright Featured Story] It takes one night for everything to change. One ni... More

I. The Night Before
II. The Morning After
III. Hell Starts Here
IV. Sold!
V. The Mad, Bad and Evil
VI. The Boss
VII. Propositions
VIII. A Bribe for a Deal
IX. The Liaisons
X. The RunAway Model
XI. Sail Away
XII. Promises Made, Promises Broken
XIII. Backfire
IX. Package Surprise
XV. It's Burning Fire
XVI. Game Changer
XVI. Mission
XVIII. Milo Vernier
XIX. Into the Night
XX. The Great Escape
XXI. Practice Makes Perfect
XXII. Prior the Exchange
XXIII. After the Exchange
XXIV. Tattoos on the Wall
XXV. Mr. Hong
XXVI. Alliances
XXVII. Ms. Kane
XXVIII. Secrets
XXIX. Jamaica De la Vega
XXX. A Different Kind of Free
XXXI. Life So Far
XXXII. AWOL
XXXIII. Confessions
XXXIV. The Old and the New
XXXV. A Direct Order
XXXVI. Phone Calls and a Dead Brother
XXXVIII. As Crazy as it Sounds
XXXIX. All that Ends Badly
XL. All that Starts Well
Author's Note

XXXVII. An Expected Meeting

28.3K 1.5K 253
By greenwriter

Theo had her picked up because he was getting late. The driver was silent on the drive home, giving her enough time to think.

She cooked dinner and waited for him to get back home.

"Where have you been? You look worse than last night," she said when he walked in.

"I've had a fucking long day, Des," he said, coming toward her and bringing her close against him. He buried his face in her neck and just stood there for a moment.

"Theo, what happened?"

"I'm so fucking tired," he murmured against her neck.

"Yeah, you already quite mentioned that but what happened?" she asked, pushing far enough to get a look at his face. She sniffed and crunched up her face. "Where have you been?"

"Went to kill my brother," he uttered.

"What?"

"Richard. Went to kill him."

She let out a dry chuckle. "What a very nice idea, but please, be serious."

He finally pulled away from her but kept his hands on her shoulders. He looked at her, his eyes really tired. "I'm serious. The old man gave me the order. He thought Richard was involved in Petroff's disappearance. And Vernier's death—and he quite got that right. And he talked about the tranquilizer gun, which he also got right and a freaking untraceable phone which might also be true." Desiree froze at the mention of the phone but kept her mouth shut. "And because he is crazy and he suddenly believes that one of his sons is planning something behind his back, he decided to bring him down. I was left with no choice. It was either I kill Richard or we both die."

Desiree gaped at him in disbelief. "You wouldn't do that."

He let out a long breath and nodded. "Of course. I had to make someone do it."

"What?!"

"So I called Kane."

"Kane?"

"And drove Richard to an isolated parking lot just outside the city."

Desiree shuddered away from him. "Don't fucking tell me you killed your brother, Theo, because I don't know what I'll do to you if you—"

"Then Kane shot him in the leg," he continued tiredly, turning around to walk to the couch where he dropped. "We recorded everything up to the time he dropped down on the ground."

She was already shaking as she stared at him in horror.

"And Kane started her work the moment I explained to my wailing brother what has to happen. That he has to die."

Desiree held her breath as she prepared herself.

"And then Kane did her magic and she took photos and the three of us drove to a dumpsite and had to pay the guys there a total of ten grand just to let us in and shoot a movie. Richard crawled into a body bag with his bloody leg. I threw the bag among all the garbage and turned off the camera on my dashboard. And then I had to get my brother out that stinking mountain again and drag him back to the car. Checked him into an inn, had to stitch his wound myself after pulling out the bullet, left him some money and drove back here."

Desiree finally let breathed in relief but that did not stop her from storming toward him and attack with her hands. "You fucking bastard! You almost got me there!" she cried out.

He just chuckled dryly, catching her hands. "He's gone, Des." She froze, looking down at him. "Richard is practically dead. He'll be out of the country tomorrow to God-knows-where and we won't see him again. He's practically dead."

Desiree swallowed the lump in her throat. "Until you bring your father down," she corrected, kneeling beside him. She held his face in her hands and whispered, "You'll see him again."

He did not answer and just let her kiss him. She unbuttoned his shirt and pulled it out of him, saying, "Let's get you cleaned up because you stink. I'm serious. You stink," she added when he just smiled. "And then we'll feed you. And then sated," she finished with a seductive smile.

"He said he'd take a very long vacation," he whispered, smiling up at her.

"He deserves it."

"He can finally get the normal life he'd been planning for after all. Funny, right?" he said with a scoff. He closed his eyes again and it was a moment later before he told her, "He said to tell you to always remember his last threat."

Desiree's eyes widened and her hands paused on his fly for a second before she slowly smiled.

If you as much as betray my brother, you'll have to face me again.

"What did he say to you and when was this?" Theo asked.

Shaking her head, she said, "It's nothing. I'm glad he's fine."

"And he also told me to go home and talk you into talking."

Desiree peeled his pants off his legs and leaned down to plant another kiss on his lips. "We'll talk later. For now, go get a shower."

*****

Theo was looking out the window of his office early the next day. Desiree was in the kitchen making breakfast. He wondered where his brother was now.

They shouldn't risk getting caught when the evidence of Richard's murder and death was still sitting on their father's office table, waiting to be discovered by the old man himself. Richard said he'd make contact the moment he was safely away. How he would do that was a great mystery to Theo but he'd be looking forward to it.

Sitting back behind his desk, he scrolled through the files he had been studying for days. And then he checked the time. 9 o'clock.

It was time.

He picked up his phone and called Kane.

"And what services can I offer you this time, Theo, my dear?" she answered.

"I need to talk to Marco Morrison in five minutes."

*****

Desiree had a lot of things in her mind as she waited for the time.

"Penny for your thoughts," Theo said as he drove.

"I was just wondering why Kane helped you."

"With Richard?" She nodded and he answered, "I told you before that she had always been close to us, more like a mother. There was never one moment that she had let us down, even if it meant keeping some secrets from the old man."

"Which can also mean—"

"I know where you are going with this, Des, and I am telling you Kane is clean. Well, not that clean but she's...I just think she didn't kill Jamaica."

She didn't answer. Of course, he was close to Kane. What else could he expect from him? But couldn't he see? The woman's ex-lover had been banging almost all women out there, Jamaica included. She cared a lot about him and Richard and based on what happened last night she was willing to do anything to protect them. And Richard had been betrayed by Jamaica—if that were ever true. And Kane hated Jamaica. If those were not reasons enough for the lady to kill her, Desiree would be willing to give up her search for Jam's killer. No one in the organization had more reasons than Kane.

"I'll be with the old man for at least an hour."

"No problem. I can keep myself busy," she lied, looking out the window. He might not like what she was about to do. No, he would definitely not like what she was about to do, she corrected.

"We need to have that talk Richard was talking about."

"Yeah, later," she said. "I'll be at the east lounge."

"Don't—" he started to say but stopped himself. Desiree chuckled.

"Don't do anything stupid?" she finished for him.

"I sound like a retard repeating that line over and over."

"I'm getting used to it." She gave him a wink and laughed when he nearly snarled.

*****

Desiree waited for ten minutes before she went out the door of the east lounge.

She could now walk through the corridors without getting lost and she now knew which gates out of the underground had guards who had a crush on her.

Five minutes later, she was out on the streets in jeans, boots and a red coat. She hailed a cab and gave him the address of her destination.

She checked the time.

11 o'clock. Khaye would be there by around 1 in the afternoon. She'd have enough time to canvas the area. As the cab made its way through the city, Desiree took out her phone. She intended to send Theo a message but ended up calling him.

He answered on the second ring. "What's wrong?" His voice was edged with worry.

"Nothing. I just called to say I left."

"What do you mean?" he asked, this time a whisper. She forgot he was on a meeting, probably explaining to his father how he killed his own brother.

"I left the underground. I can't just sit still and wait until Khaye is in danger, Theo."

"Desiree, get back now." His voice was full of warning. She could picture him standing and walking out his father's office.

"I'll be alright. I am planning to go to the site ahead of time to make sure she's alone. I'll be careful, Theo. You'll know the moment I'm heading back. I just really need to see her."

"You are not fucking going alone—"

"I'll see you later," she cut in and ended the call before he could shout every threat he could think of.

Her phone beeped a message from him not a few seconds longer.

Get back now.

I'll take care of this. I'll be fine. Desiree sighed and turned off the phone after sending her reply.

I have to do this, she convinced herself.

*****

Khaye drove quietly to the site and she was surprised that she was calm about it. Maybe because she was meeting someone she knew. Or maybe she was done being afraid and apprehensive.

Glancing over at the clock of her car, she stepped on the gas. 12 o'clock. She had to be there before Desiree arrived.

She checked her phone. Marco hadn't called yet. He must still be caught up in his latest case. It was good. Because she didn't think she could trust anyone on this one. He'd only fuss over her stupidity if he truly cared for her. Or he would do what she feared the most if he didn't.

For a moment she found herself lost in the many streets around the city. It had been three years since that unforgettable shoot. With a little GPS help, she managed to find the quiet street. She drove to another block and parked her car. She held her black coat close as the chilly wind greeted her, and looked around her. Everyone looked normal. Everyone looked busy. No signs that someone was following or watching her.

She carefully walked the one block to the old building. She reached the building but did not enter. Instead, she entered the alleyway that was almost left unseen to most passersby. All of a sudden she knew the way. A rat ran toward her direction and she jumped to her feet. She caught her breath and blew out the momentary panic.

Khaye walked deeper into the alleyway until she reached the emergency staircase that would lead her to the top of the building. It had already been pulled down and she frowned. Is she already here?

It didn't matter, she thought, as she slowly and carefully climbed her way up the first flight. She had always been afraid of heights but today she didn't feel an ounce of anything. She was anticipating the moment to finally meet Desiree—to clear things once and for all. To hell with Marco. To hell with Gian. To hell with the fucking Liaisons. She was doing this her way just like she should have done in the first place.

The building stood up to the fifth floor which didn't house anything. There was nothing there but old concrete columns and dirty wide pane windows that stood from floor to ceiling. It had served no purpose other than be used as a great location for photo and movie shoots. It used to house the city's homeless every night until the owner hired a guard to periodically check the area and clear it of unwanted persons if the need arises. For now, the guard was not around. Khaye and Desiree knew that because he was on duty down below where he had to guard the door of two stores.

Khaye had to catch her breath the moment she reached the top floor. The doorway was already open because, well, there was no door. She took a deep breath and stepped inside.

The place was empty and it was not dark. The light from the outside seeped through the dirty windows lining the front of the building, offering enough light inside.

And the three bulbs hanging on the ceiling were on.

The sound of her footsteps echoed throughout the floor. She could still hear the muffled sound of the traffic down below.

Six columns, three opposite of each other, lined in the center.

"Desiree?" she called out. Every cell in her body knew she was already here. "I know you're here," she tried again, her hands deep inside her coat pockets.

Then she appeared, taking one step from the farthest column to the right. Her face was nearly shadowed by the light from the window behind her.

But Khaye knew she was smiling as she said, "Hi, Khaye."

Khaye's first instinct was to look around and check if she was really alone.

"I came alone," Desiree said without moving. "Did you?"

"Of course," she answered right back, taking two steps forward, and then three more.

Desiree breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you came alone. I was afraid you'd bring the entire army with you."

"You look different," was all she said.

Desiree moved for the first time. She brought her hand to her hair that almost reached her shoulders. "It's the hair."

Khaye just nodded, slowly closing the distance between them. "I'm sorry but I don't have much time."

"I know. Me either." Desiree looked around with a bitter smile pasted on her lips. Khaye could see her clearly now that she was just ten feet away from her. "Do you remember the first time we met here? You, me...Jam?"

"Yes."

"I knew we were going to be best friends that day. We clicked right away. It was one of the most fun shoots I've had. We had the best night of our lives. Despite everything," she added.

Khaye snorted. "Despite everything."

Desiree slowly shook her head, in disbelief of the memories three years ago. "Funny how it didn't turn out the way I thought it should be."

"Yeah. You guys sort of had a big laugh on my account the day after that."

Desiree chuckled. "Because it was funny at that time. And you have to admit...it still is."

"Yeah?" Khaye asked, walking closer. "Leaving me in that bar, drunk and slumped inside the toilet until the next morning?"

Khaye saw Desiree's face turn serious. "We were young and reckless back then, Khaye."

She did not completely agree, but she didn't say a word. She was young and reckless. They were young and evil. It took her almost an entire year to figure that out—one year of more pranks and being made fun of. But she learned to accept the fact that they would always be the way that they were. "Though it is good to reminisce on our short-lived friendship three years ago, we are not here to talk about that."

Desiree nodded, straightening to full height. She took one step toward Khaye. "Yes. And I know that you might not consider me a friend, but we are in this together. The two of us have to get through this together, Khaye."

She could hear the desperation in her voice, along with the fear. And she knew the feeling—God, how she knew the feeling.

"I need you to help me clear my name," Desiree added, brushing her hair up and out of her face. "You must have seen people you might or not even know. You must have heard names, Khaye. The Liaisons are dangerous people. I've been around them for months and they are capable of anything, including hurting you but I can help you get the right protection that you need. Just...let's just get through this together." Khaye watched as Desiree struggled with the words. And with much more desperation on her face, Desiree looked at her, her eyes begging, "What did you witness that night, Khaye?"

"Des," she said slowly, tilting her head to the side as if deep in thought. "I think the right question is: 'What did I DO that night?'." she uttered, pulling her right hand out of her coat pocket, the one that had been holding the gun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 1.8K 41
𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐤, 𝐚 𝐦𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐲, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈'𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧." ~ Beau Tapli...
725 219 34
Being in an elite private school has its pros and cons, especially being in one really far away from home and in a place where you can be seen as an...
7.1K 387 44
She's been drugged, kidnapped, and brought to a place she doesn't recognize. And she's smiling. After all, what is there to fear when you're the daug...
288 99 17
It talks about a common love story Hate and Love. But in this one there is something special. It talks about Laura the 18 years old girl and a Luise...