Sunset (Book 5 in the Twiligh...

By Nikkisha16

"All suns will one day meet their end, and shall never rise again." What if Renesmee had a twin? What if Bell... More

Author's Note
Desolate
Harmony
Unbidden
Tumultuous
Neoteric
Mercurial
Anomalous
Remorse
Peccability
Elucidation
Fragmentize
*A Note to Readers*
Conclave
Oracle - Pt. 1
Oracle - Pt. 2
Volition
Severance
Grievance
Wingding
Lunatical
Joyless - Pt. 1
Joyless - Pt. 2
Barrage
Xerarch
Questing
Yoke
Kindness
Zigged
Zagged

Impartation

823 32 8
By Nikkisha16

Chapter Ten - Nessie's POV

"I'm not sure we can trust Ciel," I cautioned my family. My twin was off making out with the girl in question while the rest of us wandered the woods. Jacob rumbled in agreement by my side, having phased to alert his and Sam's pack of the newcomer.

"I saw nothing wrong in her thoughts," Dad said with a slight frown.

"She has a shield, remember?" I threw my arms into the air in frustration. "Has it ever occurred to you that she could be hiding something from you?!"

"Renesmee," my mother said sharply. "That was a very rude way to address your father."

"Sorry, Bella, if I am a little tense being the only one concerned!" I snarled, and everyone froze in place, shocked. "After all, the clairvoyant dhampyre in our midst isn't the biggest problem - it's the Volturi she's brought down upon us! Now maybe that concerns you?"

My face felt hot in the wake of my rage, and I was sure to be flushing almost as brilliantly as Mom did before. I realized as soon as the words left my lips that they were too harsh, especially since they didn't know that -

I forcefully stopped my thoughts in their track. I would NOT think about that, because if my suspicions were correct and caused Ciel to leave, then Jay...

"I - I have to go cool off or...whatever," I mumbled, stalking past them and heading off into the woods. Jake stayed by my side, and I didn't have it in me to turn him away, too.

Murmurs rose up behind me, saying "Give her time," and "Let her be for a while." I ran faster, pushing myself farther away from my family so that I wouldn't hear the voices.

I came to a stop beside one of the rivers that marked the border between Sam's pack's territory and ours. There was a large rock that hung over the river, almost ten feet tall, which I easily scaled in a single bound. Sitting down, I swung my feet over the ledge while Jake came up beside me.

Hearing the sound of shifting bones, I kept my eyes averted until a warm arm wrapped around my shoulders. I unthinkingly leaned against him, letting out my frustration and regret with a large sigh. "I didn't mean to say that to them, but I had to hold onto my anger."

"Why?"

Tilting my head, I looked into his eyes. Jake was wearing only a pair of ragged jean shorts, not unusual attire for him, but for some reason my heart was pounding. "If we're imprints, then how come you don't touch me?"

He stiffened, tightening his grip as the words spilled from my lips. "I'm touching you right now, aren't I?"

"You know that's not what I meant." When he refused to meet my gaze, I shifted so that I was tucked in between his legs. I took his face in my hands and turned him so that we were facing each other. "Jake."

Groaning, he slid his arms down my back to rest them on my hips, so gentle that I could barely feel his touch. "Ness, I do - you can't - it's not like - "

I put a finger to his lips, unable to keep from giggling at Jake's stuttering. "I want you, Jacob," I told him seriously, leaning forward so that our torsos were pressed together. Desire, strong and uncontrollable, rushed through me as he removed both my hands only to kiss the palms. "I've always wanted you."

Jake pulled me closer, sliding his hands up my arms to grip my shoulders tightly. "You know I can't deny you anything, Renesmee," he warned me. "So please, don't make me do this."

Flinching, I pulled away. What the hell was I doing, throwing myself at him like some hormonal teenager? Practically forcing him to...to do what, exactly? Kiss me? Go to second base? I gulped, my mind whirring. Or - or maybe even go all the way?!

It's official - I am insane.

Now that the horror had passed, I was thoroughly mortified. Scrambling off Jake's lap, I stood and tried to contain my blush. Not only was he able to stop me, but he hadn't wanted to keep going either. His words kept running over and over in my mind. So please, don't make me do this. So please, don't make me do this. So please, don't make me do this.

"Nessie?"

I couldn't face him - not now. "Sorry for accosting you like this. I have to go."

I'd barely gotten the chance to turn around when he grabbed me, brown eyes soft with sympathy. "You know I can't let you take off on your own when you're upset, Ness. And about before - "

"No!" I snarled, my embarrassment quickly turning to anger.

"But I - "

"Just. Stop. Talking!" My lips were curled, teeth bared. "I may be forced to suffer your presence, but I will not suffer your words as well!"

Jake's face fell as I glared, and he finally relented with a silent nod. Turning around, I stomped off into the woods, knowing he would soon follow. As soon as I entered the treeline, regret instantly hit. I had no idea why I was being so moody, so angry. Jake hadn't done anything wrong - in fact, he hadn't done anything at all. And if he had...I shivered, not with desire but with fear. I didn't even want to think of what my dad would do to him.

Ashamed of my actions, I quickly walked back to where I'd left my family. In the quiet, my thoughts strayed once more to Ciel. My doubts could not be known to the others; they'd try to get Jay away from her. I'd already seen what my brother was like when that happened, and I could not bear for that to happen to him again - especially if it was my fault.

However, I would be cautious. Ciel could not be allowed to hurt anyone in our family. I'd watch her closely until I was one-hundred-percent positive that she meant no harm.

When I arrived at the spot I'd left them, there was no one to be seen. Scrunching my nose, I inhaled deeply. Their scent hit my nose, as chillingly sweet as always, and I followed the smell until it split. Granddad and Grandma seemed to have circled back around, while the others continued forward. Hesitating briefly, I decided to turn around and wait for the rest with my grandparents.

I hadn't taken my first step when a scream rent the air: piercing, female, and undoubtedly human. I felt alarm through the bond and realized Jay had emerged from his cave. His thoughts went straight to me, and he asked telepathically, Are you hurt?

The concern in my brother's voice made me smile. I'm fine - the scream was human. Going to go check it out.

Don't go alone - I'm on my way.

Stop worrying - Jake's with me. That did little to reassure him. Rolling my eyes internally, I added, I'll be careful, before taking off.

Jake hurried to catch up, his growl somehow managing to sound exactly like Jay's tone of voice. I shot him a grin before concentrating on where I'd heard the sound, trying to pinpoint the exact location. The woman screamed again, and we both sped up.

The burning scent soon hit my nose, making me cough and slow down. Through the trees I spotted a clearing, and as the breeze blew towards me I froze. My thirst flared at the smell of blood, warm and sweet. A cold nose touched my cheek, shaking me out of my haze. I realized I'd already lowered into a crouch, and straightened with a thankful glance to Jacob.

After warning my twin of the dangerous temptation, I held my breath and walked into the clearing. Even though I needed to breath, I could go much longer without air than a human, up to thirty minutes at max. Ignoring my lungs' irritation, I searched the small, circular area and quickly spotted the woman.

Springy black curls were matted with sweat, and her breath came out in pants. Her back was to me, and so I slowly approached, trying not to startle her. Jake stayed in the tree lines, remaining hidden but close enough to assist. Taking a chance, I used some of my oxygen supply to call out to the human. "Are you alright?"

Gasping, she spun around, revealing a face that was younger than I'd thought: mid-twenties or so. Her eyes were large, hazel, and bloodshot. They grew wider in fear as I walked closer. "Stay away from me!"

I stopped, confused. My pace had been that of a human's, a bit unsteady as if I was in shock. "What's wrong? I heard you screaming - "

"Shut up!" The woman covered her ears, squeezing her eyes shut as if to block me from existence. "You're one of them - one of -"

The sound of a bone snapping made her shriek again, and I finally took stock of what she was wearing - a black winter dress, long and bulging at her stomach...

"No," I whispered, and that was it for my air. Struggling to take another breath, I spit out, "You're pregnant."

"That's right," she panted through her tears, giving me a horrid grin. "By one of you monstrous angels. This...thing he implanted inside my womb, this horrible creatures, he's tearing me apart from the inside."

My voice rose, frantic. "There's people who can help you, if you just come with me - "

"No!" The cry was filled with agony and hatred. "He told me you would try to offer help, and I know what'll happen if I accept. You'll eat me!"

"But I won't -"

"Don't lie to me. I can see it in your eyes, that awful gleam of hunger." I couldn't deny it. "I saw it in the first creature I was forced to birth, the first monster..."

"There's another one?" Shock made me tremble. "Another baby?"

"Another monster!" she wailed, wrapping her arms around herself. "He sent it with me, but I didn't want it. I didn't want it near me. Now it's run off, and the next is chewing it's way out. And then I'll finally be able to die."

I sank to the ground, unable to look away as the woman screamed and the scent of blood grew stronger. A large paw came into view, and Jake slowly curled himself around me, hiding the awful view of another dhampyre being born. It wasn't until I could no longer hear the slow heartbeats that Jay came, with Ciel by his side, both stiffening at the sight that lay before them.

"Mei?"

Jake reluctantly moved away so that my brother could come forward. Kneeling before me, his eyes looked into my own, compassion and sorrow radiating from their emerald depths. Without a word he gathered me into his arms and, sobbing, I hugged him back.

It's okay, it's okay, he soothed as shudders wracked my frame. I'm here now. Sorry for taking so long.

The tears poured harder as I squeezed Jay tighter, pushing past the lingering smell of Ciel to inhale the familiar odor of my twin. He just kept stroking my hair, rocking back and forth until I could cry no more. Sniffling, I finally let him go, and he helped me climb back onto my feet.

Looking for my wolf, I saw that he'd already phased back and was standing a few feet away, the frown melting away as I glanced over at him. He opened his arms and I launched myself into them, just like I always used to do when I was younger. My feet came off the ground as he hugged me tighter, murmuring, "Your folks are already on the way."

"Thank you, Jake," I whispered, and he just kissed the top of my head and set me back down in response.

Ciel and Jay were having a conversation behind me, and I turned to see a swaddled bundle in the girl's arms. Focusing on the two and trying to avoid glancing at the body, I asked in a hoarse voice, "What's the gender?"

"Male," my brother replied, looking worried. "He looks..."

"What?"

Jay didn't reply, and as I came forward Ciel looked up and told me, "He looks like his mother."

It was only Jake's hand slipping into mine that kept me from remembering the gruesome event. "She said she'd had another baby."

I was watching Ciel's face closely, so I saw the brief flicker of regret before it was masked by shock. "Really?"

"Really," I said coolly, and Jay frowned at my tone. Before he could start nagging me about his girlfriend again, I asked, "Can I hold him?"

"Sure..." Looking over to my brother to make sure it was okay, she passed me the bundle which I now realized was made by Jay's sweater. I carefully took the baby in my arms, looking down at his face. His eyes were a startlingly shade of blue, like the sky, with flecks of light brown that reminded me of his mother's eyes. The thought didn't disturb me this time; it just made me sad.

"He's beautiful," Jake said, peering over my shoulder, and I nodded in agreement.

"I bet his mom would be proud." Ciel's statement rang in my ears, and Jay just grabbed her hand and shook his head no.

Hearing the approaching steps of vampires, I hoped they'd fed sometime before coming. The blood still set my throat burning, but I was able to ignore it - for now. Dad was the first to arrive, of course. His eyes immediately went to the woman before zoning in on the baby in my arms. Before he could question us, others soon began emerging from the trees.

"What happened here?" asked Uncle Jasper, immediately scanning the area for danger.

"A dhampyre was born," Ciel answered. "There's supposed to be another one around here."

Dad and his brother shared a glance, and Jay asked hesitantly, "Did you guys already -"

"Don't take me back there!" a high-pitched voice cried, sounding on the verge of tears. "I don't wanna go back. She's gonna yell at me again."

"It's okay, little one," Aunt Rose soothed as she stepped into view. She was carrying a child dressed in blue overalls and a pink shirt whose face was hidden in my aunt's neck. Chin-length blond locks marked the child as a girl, and a familiar sweet odor marked her as a dhampyre.

The little girl, who looked only three but was certainly much younger, finally dared to glance at the clearing. She blinked purple eyes rapidly, bottom lip trembling as she beheld the sight of her dead mother. I thought she was about to cry, or scream, or just whispered brokenly, "Mommy."

Instead, her brow furrowed as she said in a cold voice, "Serves her right."

My mouth dropped open as Aunt Rose looked at the girl in shock. "What do you mean, honey?"

"She deserved to die!" The shout rang through the clearing and disturbed the baby in my arms, who started to wail. As I tried to rock him back to happiness, the girl stared at the bundle and smiled. "A brother or a sister?"

"Brother," I replied tensely, and she turned to my aunt and asked, "Can you put me down, Mama?"

Mama? Aunt Rose showed no confusion, gently replying, "Of course, darling." As soon as her feet touched the ground the girl raced towards me, giving the body a wide berth.

It was only a few milliseconds before she came to a stop in front of me and looked up, light irises widening. "Can I hold him?"

My resistance crumbled, and I smiled widely and said, "Of course."

"Thank you," she said politely as she took her brother from my grip, and as soon as her eyes were no longer holding mine I frowned. My wariness had evaporated in an instant, even though I had reservations about the golden-haired child who said her mother deserved to die.

She was now cooing to the little boy, who had finally stopped crying. "Hi, I'm your big sister. My name is Rachel, and the pretty woman over there with the blond hair is our new mom. Don't be sad that the old one is gone; she wouldn't have loved you anyway. But now we're going to have a real big family, with real parents and everything! That's what our old daddy told me, and he sent us here to find them."

"Someone sent you here?" asked Uncle Emmett, looking at the two young dhampyres in confusion.

Rachel nodded. "Our old daddy did. At first I was sad when he said he had to go, but he promised that our new family would love us like he didn't have the time to. Like our old mom never did."

"What was his name, Rachel?" Dad asked tightly. "Do you know?"

"Uh uh," she said with a shake of her head. "He said if he told us he could never come back, so I didn't ask anymore." Gesturing towards her dead mother, Rachel continued in a harsher tone, "She didn't want to name me, so I named myself."

Glancing over to Aunt Rose and Uncle Emmett, Rachel added, "I was going to name my brother once he was born since she wouldn't, but now that I have new parents, you can name him. You can even give me a middle name since I don't have one."

Her smile was so bright that I couldn't help smiling automatically in response. Ciel's voice cut through my sudden surge of affection. "Be careful - she has the gift of inspiring love in others."

"Bella," Dad said, and I felt my mom's shield wrap over my mind, protecting it. I saw my family's faces change from one of blind love to agitation - all except Aunt Rose's, that is.

"Do you know you have a gift, young one?" Granddad asked cautiously.

Rachel stared, alarmed. "I never got any presents, but then again I'm not even half a year old."

"She's using it without knowing," Ciel explained. "It's not for any nefarious purpose, and I can block it so Bella doesn't have to exert any energy. You just want to be accepted, don't you, Rachel?"

The shield lifted as the little girl nodded tremulously. "I-I just wanted a family," she hiccuped, tears leaking. "A family t-that would love m-me."

Even though her gift was not in use, Rachel still pulled on my heartstrings. Her voice rang with all the honesty of an innocent child. I couldn't doubt the sincerity of her words, even if her origins were suspicious.

"Oh, Rachel," Aunt Rose said softly, bending down an opening her arms to the girl. "We'll be your family, honey. We'll love you and your brother just as much as you deserve to be loved."

Still crying, Rachel carefully ran back to my aunt. She held out the baby, but it was Uncle Emmett who took him from her with a wide grin. Smiling in return, she launched herself in Aunt Rose's arms, and said in a small voice that everyone could hear, "Thank you, Mama."

My aunt clutched her tighter, looking happier than I'd ever seen her before. "You're more than welcome, darling. More than welcome."

~~~~~

New additions to the Olympic Coven - where do you think they came from? Who is Rachel's father? Why did he send her and her "old" mother to the Cullens? And we can't forget about Nessie and Jake's steamy moment - how is that close-knit friendship gonna turn out?

Comment and tell me what YOU think's gonna happen next. The next chapter will be the twins' second day in school, and boy will it be exciting to see that drama - and maybe see it sooner than you think! ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 708 17
๐’พ'๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ท๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐’ท๐“‡๐‘œ๐“€๐‘’, ๐’ท๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐’ท๐“Š๐“ˆ๐“‰, ๐’ท๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐“ˆ๐‘œ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Š๐“ƒ๐’น๐‘’๐“‡๐“…๐“‡๐‘’๐“…๐’ถ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น, ๐’ท๐’ถ๐’ท๐“Ž ...
19.9K 438 33
Evelyn Priscilla, fondly known as Eve, shares an unbreakable bond with Bella, her half-sister. Despite different mothers, their sisterly connection i...
99.3K 4.2K 84
โ˜„๏ธŽ โ‹†ยทหš โ‹† *. โ‡’ ๐จ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐‚๐Ž๐๐’๐“๐„๐‹๐‹๐€๐“๐ˆ๐Ž๐๐’ ๐’๐‡๐ˆ๐…๐“ โœงโœงโœง "What did you see?" "I'm not sure" Alice replied, "do you know anyone c...
19.3K 433 21
Everyone knows Ej as the depressed Cullen ever since his girlfriend died. But what everyone doesn't know that he is part mortal, part immortal like h...